PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Community Prospect Vote #22

dougdirt
12-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #22 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Player(s) who recieved 0 votes last round and will go back into rotation - Scott Carroll, Tzu-Kai Chui, Sean Henry, Paul Janish and Ramon Ramirez.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto
Prospect 17 - Brandon Waring
Prospect 18 - Adam Rosales
Prospect 19 - Tyler Pelland
Prospect 20 - Daryl Thompson
Prospect 21 - Pedro Viola

GoReds33
12-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Has anybody seen the numbers McBeth put up in the minors at the end of last year? They're rediculious. He had a sub two ERA. He got my vote.

princeton
12-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Reds seem to like Ramon Ramirez

camisadelgolf
12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
For the position players listed, I think Justin Turner is the obvious choice.

OnBaseMachine
12-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Reds seem to like Ramon Ramirez

Yep. I'd like to see him added on the next one. He began the year in Sarasota as a starter and posted a 4.05 ERA but a very strong 25 bb/86 K rate in 73.1 innings. After a promotion to Chattanooga, he was placed in the bullpen and proceeded to strikeout 35 batters in 31.1 innings. A few months later he was promoted to Louisville and there he threw 14.2 innings of shutout ball while allowing only 7 hits and striking out 16 batters. Overall, in 119.1 innings he allowed only 8 homeruns and struckout 137 batters. The Reds thought enough of him to place him on the 40-man roster. With those K rates, he could develop into a fine reliever.

I'll probably vote for him around 25-27.

I went with Valika in this one, though I now wish I had gone with Marcus McBeth or Sam Lecure after thinking about it.

dougdirt
12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Added Ramon Ramirez to the rotation of guys who will be put on in place of those who didn't get votes.

Kc61
12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
After Lecure, I like Justin Reed who did well at GCL and Billings. Still a very young player.

Orenda
12-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Travis Webb, put up similar numbers to those of Jordan Smith and Rafeal Gonzalez in Dayton last season, he had a slightly better era, fewer hits per nine and missed more bats. Needs to work on his command, but he should be on the list, he's also a lefty. Doug, what do you know about Juan Rafeal, he's another guy who had a better showing than Carrol, posted a 2.3 era in the GCL then ended the season in Sarasota with a 2.6 era in 17ip. Only gave up 1hr in 55 innings. Are these guys not as projectable?

kheidg-
12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Has anybody seen the numbers McBeth put up in the minors at the end of last year? They're rediculious. He had a sub two ERA. He got my vote.

Agree, his numbers were sick.

How he drops this far is beyond me. He has only been pitching a few years. Kind of in the Roenicke mold, and look where Roenicke is ranked.

AmarilloRed
12-30-2007, 12:42 AM
I voted for McBeth as well. The only question with him is his ability to succeed at the major league level.

dougdirt
12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
I think McBeth will be fine in the majors.... the reason I won't vote for him yet is that he is already a 27 year old reliever who will be a rookie next year still while Chris Valaika, Sam Lecure and Justin Turner are still on the ballot.

AdamDunn
12-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Other... Steve Carroll!!!

Ron Madden
12-30-2007, 03:29 AM
LeCure and McBeth IMHO are the most talented players left on the ballot.

Screwball
12-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Danny Herrera. Dude throws a screwball, which means he's awesome. :cool:

I'm just ticked I didn't realize he was on the last two ballots...

mth123
12-30-2007, 07:15 AM
I've been voting for Dickerson for a while now. Plus, Plus defense, LH Bat which gives him the platoon advantage most days, good speed with a decent SB success rate, enough plate discipline to get on base at the top of the line-up, just enough power to get a big boost from GABP and on the verge of being ready now (a huge factor IMO). I think he's the kind of guy who could put up a few pretty good years (for a defensive minded CF) in GABP while really helping the defense for cheap. If he's handled correctly he could be dealt for future help as he starts to get expensive. He's the type of guy that can go from asset to liability quickly if the team holds him too long, but at this point, getting a role player for few cheap years who may fit the team's needs (OF defense with speed and enough power to take advantage of the home park) is all you can ask for.

I have Dickerson at 12 with McBeth at 13 on my personal list.

Stingray
12-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I've been voting for Dickerson for a while now. Plus, Plus defense, LH Bat which gives him the platoon advantage most days, good speed with a decent SB success rate, enough plate discipline to get on base at the top of the line-up, just enough power to get a big boost from GABP and on the verge of being ready now (a huge factor IMO). I think he's the kind of guy who could put up a few pretty good years (for a defensive minded CF) in GABP while really helping the defense for cheap. If he's handled correctly he could be dealt for future help as he starts to get expensive. He's the type of guy that can go from asset to liability quickly if the team holds him too long, but at this point, getting a role player for few cheap years who may fit the team's needs (OF defense with speed and enough power to take advantage of the home park) is all you can ask for.

I have Dickerson at 12 with McBeth at 13 on my personal list.

I agree completely. He'll contribute in the majors(maybe not with the Reds) - some of the guys selected ahead of him won't.

Stingray
12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I think McBeth will be fine in the majors.... the reason I won't vote for him yet is that he is already a 27 year old reliever who will be a rookie next year still while Chris Valaika, Sam Lecure and Justin Turner are still on the ballot.

When players become FA's in five or six years a 27 year old rookie may even have some advantages over a much younger rookie - maturity for example.

dougdirt
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
When players become FA's in five or six years a 27 year old rookie may even have some advantages over a much younger rookie - maturity for example.

Right, but generally they don't have the upside of those types either.

JaxRed
12-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Gardner - Tore up High A, and AA and added to 40 man roster

dougdirt
12-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Anyone have a problem with adding Chris Heisey into the rotation of players?

kheidg-
12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Gardner - Tore up High A, and AA and added to 40 man roster

Agree, Gardner should get more support. I just can't vote for him until McBeth is in.

Mario-Rijo
12-30-2007, 06:08 PM
At this point I am really torn on alot of guys, so I went with Valaika. He is in my eyes a guy who hits well enough and plays just good enough defense to be a solid cheap starter. He kinda reminds me of Todd walker from the right side but with less patience, but slightly better defensively. So if he can improve his patience/discipline then he is a solid prospect, and i'm sure that he would go higher on my personal list. Turner could turn out to be the better of the 2 so it's a battle right now with them.

That's some good info OBM on Ramirez, he looks like a good bet to make some sort of an impact at some point.

I feel the same about McBeth in that he very well could have more of an impact than alot of guys before him but does he have the upside? I dunno but if he continues to work on his control/command he looks like a possible set-up type guy too me.

Gardner is becoming increasingly interesting as well, I will have to keep him in mind going forward.

I also think Dickerson should be higher but questions about his bat speed scare me. If he does have below avg bat speed he almost can do no right in the bigs, beyond a defensive replacement or pinch runner. But again he looks to be in the mix for a shot at some playing time so perhaps those whispers are not valid. I guess we will see come ST.

Stingray
12-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Right, but generally they don't have the upside of those types either.

McBeth could well be an exception since he was converted to a pitcher fairly recently. Wayne Simpson, for example, showed a brillant upside, until he was injured, after converting to pitching.

REDblooded
12-31-2007, 02:05 AM
For the position players listed, I think Justin Turner is the obvious choice.

++

still trying to figure out why he doesn't get more votes.

dougdirt
12-31-2007, 02:38 AM
McBeth could well be an exception since he was converted to a pitcher fairly recently. Wayne Simpson, for example, showed a brillant upside, until he was injured, after converting to pitching.

I know the story behind McBeth. I actually like the guy a bit. I just don't put much stock in relievers unless they project to be dominating. I expect him to be a solid middle guy.

klw
12-31-2007, 11:54 AM
I know the story behind McBeth. I actually like the guy a bit. I just don't put much stock in relievers unless they project to be dominating. I expect him to be a solid middle guy.

A solid middle guy would be a step up from the recent Reds bullpen options.

dougdirt
12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
A solid middle guy would be a step up from the recent Reds bullpen options.

Sure it would, our bullpen has sucked for a while now. That still doesn't change the value of a middle reliever though.

texasdave
12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Tzu-Kai Chiu outpitched the #11 Reds propsect in what was both their first seasons in the the Reds' organization. Started off the year slowly due to tendonitis (his first two outings he stunk), but since then he killed the GCL. Any pitcher who has more pitches than his catcher has fingers AND throws them all for strikes is alright by me. TKC is my breakout pitcher in '08.

dougdirt
12-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Tzu-Kai Chiu outpitched the #11 Reds propsect in what was both their first seasons in the the Reds' organization. Started off the year slowly due to tendonitis (his first two outings he stunk), but since then he killed the GCL. Any pitcher who has more pitches than his catcher has fingers AND throws them all for strikes is alright by me. TKC is my breakout pitcher in '08.

He may have outpitched him slightly, but he was 2 years older during the season (19 to 17) and doesn't have the stuff that Lotzkar does either.

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
is Denorfia a good comp for Dickerson?

AmarilloRed
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Denorfia hit for a better average. Otherwise, they are pretty similar.

Stingray
01-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Denorfia hit for a better average. Otherwise, they are pretty similar.

Dickerson has more power and is an even better fielder.

Betterread
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Denorfia really improved his offense so that he makes consistent contact, with decent power (a little more than Dickerson) and great pitch selection so he had a great OBP. As a fielder, he was intelligent and versatile, with a so-so arm. Dickerson is a great fielder, with great range and a good arm.
I see Denorfia as a solid #4 OFer on a good team and a starter on a poor team.
I see Dickerson as a defensive late innings #5 OFer. He just doesn't have the ability to make consistent contact which hurts his offensive qualities (decent power, ability to take a walk, speed).