PDA

View Full Version : Do Buckeye fans feel good for Lloyd Carr?

redhawkfish
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Michigan up 38-35 with 4:12 left in the game. I am not a fan of either team, but this game is exciting!

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Winning in his final bowl game?

His seniors winning their final bowl game after going 0-3?

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:01 PM
The man really is a class act.

Carried on the shoulders of his players.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Another question: Do you ALWAYS root for teams in "your" conference in their bowl games?

I've honestly got to say that I didn't mind seeing Florida lose... it's an interesting question... on one hand you want your conference to do well, but on the other hand, there are some teams that you just absolutely cannot stand.

MWM
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Great game. I don't think Florida's defense stopped the Michigan offense after the first quarter. The punter only punted twice. If it weren't for a couple of goal line fumbles, it wouldn't have even been close.

The Heisman curse continues. It seems like every time a QB wins the Heisman they go out and play a really bad bowl game. Tebow's a great player, but he sure didn't play well today.

Ultimately, I just don't think Florida cold deal with the speed of the Big Ten. :evil:

Nice to see Carr go out with a nice win. He deserves it.

MWM
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I think most Buckeye fans wanted to see Michigan win just so we don't have to hear another 12 months of how the Big Ten can't handle the speed of the SEC. I'm sure we'll hear it anyway from some, but at least this it won't be quite as loud.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I think most Buckeye fans wanted to see Michigan win just so we don't have to hear another 12 months of how the Big Ten can't handle the speed of the SEC. I'm sure we'll hear it anyway from some, but at least this it won't be quite as loud.

I think the National Championship will determine how that goes much more than Michigan beating Florida.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I didn't realize Ohio State is 0-8 all-time in bowl games versus the SEC.

MWM
01-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I think the National Championship will determine how that goes much more than Michigan beating Florida.

That's too bad, because it's just one game. But I'm sure you're right. If OSU loses, we'll probably hear aout how it was because of spped, even though last year's national title game debalce had nothing to do with speed. The other two games between the two conferences were very close this year with each conference winning one. But ESPN has been obsessing about the whole speed thing for over a week now. I'm tired of hearing about it.

Unassisted
01-01-2008, 06:11 PM
No matter my opinion of a particular Big Ten team, I will always root for them to win over a non-conference opponent. That said, it's been many years since there has been a team or even a coach in the Big Ten that I truly dislike.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:14 PM
No matter my opinion of a particular Big Ten team, I will always root for them to win over a non-conference opponent. That said, it's been many years since there has been a team or even a coach in the Big Ten that I truly dislike.

I think Florida is the only team in the SEC I don't mind seeing lose their bowl game. Now if it was for the national championship, I would root for them, no doubt.

MWM
01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I know one Big Ten team that's going to get blown out, and that's Illinois. They shouldn't be there at all, and they're goig to lose by at least 30 points.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Why did God have to take the funny Belushi??

guttle11
01-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Yes. And the funny thing is, Michigan was the better team on the field by far. Only stupid mistakes kept Florida in the game. Tebow played well, but he wasn't going to win the game with his arm. Michigan's defense stepped up and shut down Florida's offense the final two drives. Florida this year was an average team with a Heisman winning QB, and it showed today.

Also, I'm really happy for Lloyd. He's a class act and has been a very good coach. He deserves to go off into the sunset like he did.

15fan
01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Nope.

Would have loved to see Henne, Hart and the rest of their classmates go 0-fer against Ohio State and Bowl Games.

jmac
01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I think Florida is the only team in the SEC I don't mind seeing lose their bowl game. Now if it was for the national championship, I would root for them, no doubt.

I enjoy seeing wins by SEC in the bowl games.
What would change that is if guys like Miles or Saban acts like a jerk in the interviews and then I would find it real hard to pull for them ( unless playing Uof L ):).
Probably next season we can add Petrino to the possible " jerk "comments.

WMR
01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
rock, if Les Miles hasn't convinced you yet he's a jerk, I don't think he ever will. :lol:

jmac
01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
rock, if Les Miles hasn't convinced you yet he's a jerk, I don't think he ever will. :lol:

In other words, the ole thing about "keeping your mouth shut and let people assume your a jerk or open your mouth and remove all doubt" .
:D:D

Danny Serafini
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Nine other Big 10 teams I would root for to win a bowl game, or any nonconference game. I want to see Michigan go 0-12 every year. I would've really enjoyed seeing that punk Mike Hart go 0-8 in games that mattered in his career, though 1-7 is still a good mark to laugh at.

gonelong
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

I want Michigan to win every game of the year save the one they play against the Buckeyes. Its good for the Big 10+1 and the Buckeyes.

I was happy for Llyod Carr. He seems like a quality individual and it was nice for him to go out on a high note. Bonus was Hart was coughing the ball up along the way. :)

GL

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 09:17 PM

You can root against that **** Mike Hart can't you?

Red Heeler
01-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Another question: Do you ALWAYS root for teams in "your" conference in their bowl games?

I've honestly got to say that I didn't mind seeing Florida lose... it's an interesting question... on one hand you want your conference to do well, but on the other hand, there are some teams that you just absolutely cannot stand.

My Dad and sister both graduated from Ohio State, and I grew up rooting for them. I am also a graduate of the University of Tennessee. I can't decide who I would rather see loose this game.

westofyou
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Nope.

Would have loved to see Henne, Hart and the rest of their classmates go 0-fer against Ohio State and Bowl Games.

I respect that.

I hope OSU gets their clock cleaned against LSU, I could care less bout the Big Ten talk I want them to get cooked.

BTW Congrats on the Bowl win for your Alma Mater

Unassisted
01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
You can root against that **** Mike Hart can't you?Nah, I can't get worked up over him. I'd feel sorry for any athlete who misses as many games as he has due to injury.

MartyFan
01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I hate Michigan but always liked Carr and I am glad the Wolverines won...makes THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY look even better when they beat LSU.

RedFanAlways1966
01-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I was happy for Lloyd Carr. I am a die-hard OSU fan, but have nothing but respect for Carr.

I root for all Big 10 teams in the bowl games... even Michigan. Wisconsin is the toughest root-for in my book these days during the bowl games. Their coach, Bielema, really gets on my nerves. Always whining to the refs... all game, every game. No offense to WISC fans, but just the way I see it.

GAC
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM

I do. I'm a loyal Big Ten guy.

But in my poll at work I'm a realist, and wasn't too kind to the Big Ten. In fact, I predicted the Big 10, like last year, going 2-6 overall. Right now they are 3-4.

Illinois was embarrassed by USC, and I predicted that. Mendenhall is one heck of a RB; but the Illini is a one dimensional team with Williams at QB.

I enjoyed the Badger-Vol game. I picked the Vols in my poll, but I thought that Wisconsin was going to pull it out in that 4th quarter. The officiating in that game was joke though. :lol:

I'm glad that Carr got to go out on a high note. I can't stand Florida teams. So far 1-1 vs the SEC.

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Nah, I can't get worked up over him. I'd feel sorry for any athlete who misses as many games as he has due to injury.

Yeah, but then because of those injuries he gets this "gritty" label like he is David Eckstein from the media while Beanie plays through injuries and gets no hype. He averages 35 carries a game, it should be no surprise he gets hurt...

HeatherC1212
01-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm very happy for Lloyd Carr that he gets to leave UM on such a high note with a bowl win today. He's a classy guy and I think his players were playing their hearts out for him the entire game. Normally I can't stand to see Michigan do well during college football (I think that's a law when you're an OSU fan, LOL), but I was very happy to see the guys play well today for their coach. You could tell at the end of the game how happy they all were that they got to give him a win. Good luck and God bless to Lloyd Carr. :)

And Mike Hart fumbling twice today was just icing on the cake because I think he's a twit, LOL ;)

max venable
01-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Today was the first time in my life that I ever pulled for Michigan to win. Good for them. Good for Lloyd. Go Bucks.

Matt700wlw
01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
That was a great football game!!

Spring~Fields
01-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I was tickled to death for Michigan, great to see the wolverines chew on the gators (one hit wonders) from that other conference.

WMR
01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
:lol:

Buckeye fans still aren't over getting their butts whipped in the NC game last year by the Gators.

MWM
01-02-2008, 12:42 AM

Buckeye fans still aren't over getting their butts whipped in the NC game last year by the Gators.

That's because it gets brought up constantly by folks trying to prove some point about conferences. Seriously, I wish I had a buck for every time someone brought up last year's national title game this year to discredit what they've done this year or to discredit the overall quality of the entire conference. It's hard to forget when it's constantly thrown in your face. Heck, this site is a great example of that.

WMR
01-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Has anyone done it in this thread? I didn't expect this thread to become another 'dump on Florida/the SEC by Buckeye fans' thread. :shrug:

gonelong
01-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Hawaii scores a TD in the farce bowl.

GL

Caseyfan21
01-02-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm very happy for Lloyd Carr that he gets to leave UM on such a high note with a bowl win today. He's a classy guy and I think his players were playing their hearts out for him the entire game. Normally I can't stand to see Michigan do well during college football (I think that's a law when you're an OSU fan, LOL), but I was very happy to see the guys play well today for their coach. You could tell at the end of the game how happy they all were that they got to give him a win. Good luck and God bless to Lloyd Carr. :)

And Mike Hart fumbling twice today was just icing on the cake because I think he's a twit, LOL ;)

Pretty much echoes my thoughts. Hart is a moron and I can't stand him so it was good to see him with the fumbles.

But about the only thing I dislike more than Michigan these days is Florida and their arrogant fans. Not saying all Florida fans are bad, just ones I've personally met via the game last year and basketball game in Columbus. I suppose they can be arrogant but getting it shoved down my face in a rude manner is not what I pay for when I go to a game.

Glad to see Lloyd go out a winner and glad to see the Big 10 finally beat that great SEC speed.

NorrisHopper30
01-02-2008, 03:15 AM
The only reason Buckeyes' fans feel good for him is they were playing Florida. :)

LoganBuck
01-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I was actively rooting for Michigan yesterday. It did feel a little icky. I had to explain to my five year old son that the only thing worse than yellow pants is orange and blue helmets. Simple rules to live by.

traderumor
01-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Has anyone done it in this thread? I didn't expect this thread to become another 'dump on Florida/the SEC by Buckeye fans' thread. :shrug:

Rather, lets turn it into dumping on the Buckeyes for losing a game a year ago, right?

HeatherC1212
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
The only reason Buckeyes' fans feel good for him is they were playing Florida. :)

Actually, I would have felt good for them no matter who they were playing because it was Lloyd's last game and I wanted him to go out on a high note. The opponent being Florida did feel a little bit better than if it had been any other team though, LOL :evil: :lol:

Gainesville Red
01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm not ready to talk about it. Maybe tommorow.

bucksfan2
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I was rooting for Michigan in that game. There were a couple of things that stuck out to me.

Michigan was the more diciplined team. It seemed like UF's players acted out more when they made a play. They did more dancing while UM did their job and won the game.

Didn't get to see a whole lot of Tebow this year but he looked like a very average QB. He didn't throw the ball down the field and threw a lot of short passes to speed guys. Color me very unimpressed about his performance.

UM should have won that game going away. Two fumbles by Hart at the goal line made the game a lot closer than it really was.

Florida is a good team but unless they are able to stretch the field on offense I can forsee a similar result to next years team.

Danny Serafini
01-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I've got to say I'm stunned by the number of Buckeye fans who were rooting for Michigan. Have the past few years of success softened the fan base this much? Come on, this isn't Minnesota or Northwestern we're talking about here, it's MICHIGAN!

BRM
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I've got to say I'm stunned by the number of Buckeye fans who were rooting for Michigan. Have the past few years of success softened the fan base this much? Come on, this isn't Minnesota or Northwestern we're talking about here, it's MICHIGAN!

That is a bit surprising. I can't imagine there are very many Michigan fans who will be rooting for the Buckeyes on Monday night.

jimbo
01-02-2008, 02:22 PM

I think most of it has to do having the notion that the SEC is so much better than the B10 crammed down our throats all season. I know I've heard it enough that I was willing to put aside my hatred for Michigan and root for them because they were playing an SEC team.

Of course, as has been shown in this thread there will be those will keep coming back to the championship game last season as our motivation, but for me it has nothing to do with that. New team, new season. I've had a general hatred for the 3 big Florida schools for most of life.

Benihana
01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
That is a bit surprising. I can't imagine there are very many Michigan fans who will be rooting for the Buckeyes on Monday night.

Nope- let's go LSU!!! :evil:

(although I do usually root for the Bucks in their bowl games, just not when they're playing for the NC)

rotnoid
01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I was actively rooting for Michigan yesterday. It did feel a little icky. I had to explain to my five year old son that the only thing worse than yellow pants is orange and blue helmets. Simple rules to live by.

Same here. I took a thrashing from my 4 year old, who ran around the house in a sing song voice singing, "Daddy likes Michigan," much to the horror of his younger brother. They're still learning about conferences and the disdain they're supposed to have for Florida teams. :)

Maybe next year. On topic, though, good for Lloyd. Glad to see him go out on a high note. And good for Henne, it's about time he won a big game. (couldn't resist).

WMR
01-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Rather, lets turn it into dumping on the Buckeyes for losing a game a year ago, right?

:rolleyes:

I said what I did AFTER the Florida/SEC bashing started up again. Please.

jimbo
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM

I said what I did AFTER the SEC bashing started up again. Please.

I read through the thread again and saw very little of what I would call "SEC bashing." I mentioned my dislike for the SEC as a whole, and a few others mentioning how much they dislike the SEC, but nothing that should be considered "bashing," IMO.

And I should clarify that although I'm not an SEC fan overall, I do follow and root for Kentucky football and went down to a couple of games this year and tailgated with some friends. Had an absolute blast.

WMR
01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I was tickled to death for Michigan, great to see the wolverines chew on the gators (one hit wonders) from that other conference.

Florida/SEC bashing.

WMR
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I read through the thread again and saw very little of what I would call "SEC bashing." I mentioned my dislike for the SEC as a whole, and a few others mentioning how much they dislike the SEC, but nothing that should be considered "bashing," IMO.

And I should clarify that although I'm not an SEC fan overall, I do follow and root for Kentucky football and went down to a couple of games this year and tailgated with some friends. Had an absolute blast.

Awesome. Glad you enjoyed yourself at the UK games.

traderumor
01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Florida/SEC bashing.Oh, gee, I didn't realize it had gotten so out of hand. Good thing you're around to keep it to a minimum and keep those Buckeye fans in line.

Spring~Fields
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Florida/SEC bashing.

Bashing?

Bashing would have been asking for a asset and liability sheet on each of the players before and after the game last year, while taking an inventory on who went from driving a bug to driving a porche or beamer afterward. ;)

Besides:

"Do Buckeye fans feel good for Lloyd Carr?"

Can clearly be interpreted as a bait thread to begin with. If it wasn't, the term "Buckeye fans" would have never been selectively interjected into the question, it would have just read, "Do fans feel good for Lloyd Carr and the Michigan win?"

WMR
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I started the thread b/c I saw the joy on the sidelines between Lloyd Carr and his players and I know the huge amount of animosity that Buckeye fans generally have towards Michigan and vice versa. I was wondering if that could ever give way to good feelings towards a coach that even most all Buckeye fans call a "class act." The wide variety of answers given in this thread is exactly what I was interested in hearing. Certainly wasn't trying to bait anyone.

Spring~Fields
01-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I think that the use of terms such as animosity and hate is greatly exaggerated.

I root for teams in an order.
1. Ohio State
2. The remainder of the Big Ten
3. Cincinnati Teams UC/Xavier
4. Wright State
5. University of Dayton
6. Wittenberg
7. University of Kentucky
8. Louisville
9. Almost foregot Miami of Ohio

I guess kind of like a homer, I root for the local teams then moving on outward to the other teams that are closest by geography. I believe that when the teams do well that it is good for the communities and surrounding areas tangibly and intangibly.

*BaseClogger*
01-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm sad to see Lllllloyd Carr go :(...

WMR
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I think that the use of terms such as animosity and hate is greatly exaggerated.

Clearly, many do not share similar sentiments.

Roy Tucker
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM

I agree with this. Hate is a pretty strong word and doesn't belong in sports.

I did root for Michigan yesterday, albeit somewhat tepidly. Mostly so the Big 10 looks good and somewhat for Lloyd Carr because he has been a good citizen for Michigan. Not to mention Florida embarassed OSU in the NC game last year and this OSU fan still holds considerable animosity towards them.

The game did remind me of many a New Years Day games that OSU has played and repeatedly shot itself in the foot and screwed up a good season. It was a minor miracle UM won.

BRM
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know about Buckeye fans but I sure felt good for him. I was definitely rooting for the Wolverines yesterday.

jimbo
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I was wondering if that could ever give way to good feelings towards a coach that even most all Buckeye fans call a "class act."

Personally, I'm a Buckeye football fan to the core and have spent my share of time poking fun at Coach Carr and Michigan for as long as he's been there. Having said that, I was happy for him yesterday because you always like to a see a successful coach retire on a winning note.

Just because I have a passionate dislike (I tried not to use the word "hate") for Michigan does not mean I do not have a level of respect for them. It's a very storied program which has had a long tradition of winning, and Coach Carr has always been a "class act" and his players are always a reflection of that class. I thought that was pretty evident yesterday on how the Michigan players conducted themselves on the field.

Caseyfan21
01-03-2008, 09:18 PM

You obviously have not had the pleasure of meeting Florida fans in person. Their actions toward me last year at the National Championship game were the sole reason I will always root against Florida.....even if they are playing Michigan. I hate Michigan as much as the next Buckeye fan but I do not have any personal experiences with Michigan fans being utterly disrespectful to my face so I can at least assume they might have class. :)

Danny Serafini
01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Fortunately Toledo isn't much of a Gator town, so I don't have to deal with it. Florida is high up the hate list right now, but they still don't go ahead of Michigan. I've got more hate for Bowling Green (I'm a Toledo alum, they're our rival) and Notre Dame, so I was fine if Florida won that. Florida vs. anyone else is a different story.

Odd side note, I went out last Saturday night, and someone walked into the bar with an OSU shirt and a Florida hat. How on earth can you do that?

Caseyfan21
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Odd side note, I went out last Saturday night, and someone walked into the bar with an OSU shirt and a Florida hat. How on earth can you do that?

:explode:

That's just plain wrong....

cincrazy
01-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm a Buckeye through and through, but I took great pleasure in watching Michigan behead the Gators. The SEC debate has reached a new level of ridiculousness, and at this point I find myself openly rooting against Vanderbilt when they play Southwest Alaska Community College.

I take great pride in inflicting pain on the Wolverines, but I must admit, Carr has taken way too much crap the last 6 or 7 years. People forget this guy used to own OSU. I can't say that I like Lloyd Carr, but I do respect him, and he deserved to go out in that fashion.

The only thing that made me sick was Mike Hart's smile after his two fumbles. What an odd reaction in such a HUGE game in regards to your legacy at the school. I've never liked Hart, ran his mouth too much, and more often than not his team couldn't back it up. He'd be a perfect fit for my Bengals :)