PDA

View Full Version : D.B. Cooper, if you see this, they're still looking...

01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
FBI re-examining case of 1971 hijacking
Agency asks for helping in identifying man who jumped out of plane with $200,000

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. The FBI is making another stab at finding out about a mysterious hijacker who bailed out of an airliner in 1971 and vanished. The agency hopes that releasing new details will jog someone's memory.

In Portland, a man calling himself Dan Cooper, also known as D.B. Cooper, boarded a Northwest Airlines flight to Seattle on the night of Nov., 24, 1971. He commandeered the plane, claiming that he had dynamite.

In Seattle, he requested and received $200,000 and four parachutes. He then demanded to be flown to Mexico. Over southwestern Washington, he jumped out the plane's tail exit with two of the chutes.

On Monday, the FBI released photos of evidence, drawings that it said probably are close to what Cooper looked like, and a map of areas where Cooper might have landed.

"Who was Cooper? Did he survive the jump? We're providing new information and pictures and asking for your help," the FBI said in a statement.

The FBI said that although Cooper was originally thought to have been an experienced jumper, it has concluded that he most likely did not survive the jump in the dark and rain. He had not specified a route, making it unlikely that he knew where he was when he left the plane.

Several people have claimed to be Cooper but were dismissed on the basis of physical descriptions, parachuting experience or DNA evidence that was recovered in 2001 from a tie that Cooper left on the plane.

klw
01-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Unless this is a in the field training exercise, this sounds like a waste of manpower and money. Fun story though it sounds like someone at the FBI has been watching too much Prison Break on DVD.

westofyou
01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
This was in last weeks weekly

http://wweek.com/editorial/3406/10158/SOURCE=RSS

Whatever Happened To...

THE BIG MOMENT Nov. 24, 1971: Cooper hijacks a plane out of Portland International Airport.

WHAT ELSE HAPPENED THAT DAY: Inmates riot at a maximum-security prison in Rahway, N.J.

The short version: Cooper is still probably dead. The long version is more interesting. For a guy who disappeared after jumping out of a plane 10,000 feet above southwest Washington 36 years ago, the hijacker who called himself Dan Cooper has had a lot of press this year. First came an October New York magazine cover story raising the possibility that the man who leapt out of a Boeing 727 with $200,000 in cash on Nov. 24, 1971, was actually Kenneth Christiansen, a former paratrooper who lived in relative seclusion in Bonny Lake, Wash., until dying in 1994.

Then The Oregonian ran a front-page feature of its own, profiling FBI special agent Larry Carr, who has taken over the case and ruled out Christiansen as a suspect—wrong body type, too much skydiving experience. But Carr also revealed that since 2001, the feds have been holding onto a partial sample of Cooper’s DNA swabbed from a clip-on tie Cooper left on the plane.

So the case remains unsolved, with no leads hotter than the $5,800 in ragged bills found along the banks of the Columbia River in 1980. But if your grandpa keeps giving you funny looks and driving to the woods to “hit the ATM,” you know who to call.

cincinnati chili
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
One of the greatest mysteries of 20th century America. Now that Deep Throat has been solved, I almost hope they never solve this one.

03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Look out DB, they are closing in.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h73kW1SKrMtRmHhB_8hgOjjm9gPwD8VL15GO1

bucksfan
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
D.B. Cooper - by Todd Snider
http://www.eighteenminutes.com/Lyrics/DBCooper.html

D.B Cooper was 43 when we first heard his name
47 miles away from where he fell down to his fame
But he told me that the hardest part wasn't really jumping out of the plane
It was spending the night watching those lights
Shine through the pouring rain

They had a man hunt that next morning like nothing I had ever seen
I was only 8 years old at the time watching on a TV screen
They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in
But later that night they were shining those lights
Down on the mountain again

Not far away from the City of Roses
They all watched those lights up through the rain
For D.B. Cooper

The cops blocked off all the exit roads and turned loose all of the hounds
They even dragged the river up a couple of times to see if he had drowned
With all those men working overtime they swore they would brin him down
But a parachute and a few hundred dollars
Was all that they ever found

They all watched those lights up through the rain

Now some people say that he died up there somewhere in the rain and the wind
Other people say that he got away but his girlfriend did him in
The law men say if he is out there someday they're gonna bring him in
As for me, I hope they never see
D.B. Cooper again

A light shined from a house out in the rain
It was D.B. Cooper
Drinking champagne

Caseyfan21
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Several people have claimed to be Cooper but were dismissed on the basis of physical descriptions, parachuting experience or DNA evidence that was recovered in 2001 from a tie that Cooper left on the plane.

This just seems sort of dumb. Why would you come forward and claim to be this guy? If you are found to be him wouldn't you just get locked up?

03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
This just seems sort of dumb. Why would you come forward and claim to be this guy? If you are found to be him wouldn't you just get locked up?

Cause they are crazy?

Seriously, a young man went missing here about 6 years ago. Turns out they found his car in a river this last fall. Called it an accident. Anyway, a man and a woman together confessed to killing him a few months after he disappeared. They ended up charging with a false confession. The newspaper said they had false informed in the past. Who knows/

Maybe people confessed because you have to realize those were different anti-establichment times. He was a kind of cult hero.

03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
The song explains it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OEVQT34Y34

Degenerate39
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I remember watching a show about him on Sci-Fi. I always thought he was interesting after that.

BoydsOfSummer
03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
They haven't looked that damn hard for Bin Laden.

VR
03-26-2008, 11:17 PM
My house is 8 miles from the location the parachute was found. I'm going to start looking in the woods for cash that may have scattered.

KronoRed
03-27-2008, 12:35 AM
My house is 8 miles from the location the parachute was found. I'm going to start looking in the woods for cash that may have scattered.

Try and avoid the skeleton ;)

03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Try and avoid the skeleton ;)

That would be some collector's item.

RFS62
03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
When are you people ever going to just leave me alone!?!?!

Edskin
03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
When are you people ever going to just leave me alone!?!?!

This happened in 1971....I seriously doubt you were able to jump out of plane and survive at the age of 76.

:)

03-27-2008, 09:54 AM
This happened in 1971....I seriously doubt you were able to jump out of plane and survive at the age of 76.

:)

That would be Coombsian.