PDA

View Full Version : WVU and Bill Stewart

WVRed
01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I know this happened earlier today and there is no thread, but the hire has drawn some controversy.

Ken Kendrick, part owner of the Diamondbacks and a major contributor to WVU, denounced the move and compared it to "hiring a painter for a house when they had an architect in place".

I'm not a big fan of WVU, but I think they made the right choice for right now. The team had been through hell since the Pitt game and then Rodriguez leaving. Bill Stewart had the overwhelming support of the players as evidenced by the play in the Fiesta Bowl last night. If a coach was brought in outside the organization, you would almost certainly see Steve Slaton and Pat White go pro, and Noel Devine possibly transferring. Not to mention Stewart gives them the best chance to keep Josh Jenkins in state.

The contract is for five years at four million total. If Stewart does indeed falter past next season after White and Slaton graduate and cannot succeed in Rich Rodriguez's footsteps, it's not like they will have to eat much of a contract.

It's not the best long term solution, but for the short term, they need to keep the team together.

On a lighter note, here in Parkersburg, the big joke was that WVU should have hired a former coach of Parkersburg High who would be "behind them all the way". If anybody here is from West Virginia, I think you can guess who I am referring to.;)

Bip Roberts
01-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I liked the guy from the interview and he did get them to play pretty darn well against what some were calling a very possible NC contender.

If he sucks then great news for UC :)

Danny Serafini
01-03-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm by no means any kind of expert on WVU football. But giving someone a five year deal based on one good showing doesn't sound like a recipe for success. Maybe this guy will be good, but by not running a real hiring search they've sold themselves short.

Degenerate39
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
On a lighter note, here in Parkersburg, the big joke was that WVU should have hired a former coach of Parkersburg High who would be "behind them all the way". If anybody here is from West Virginia, I think you can guess who I am referring to.;)

I think I know you're talking about but I can't remember the name

Oxilon
01-03-2008, 10:28 PM
He'll probably have WVU solid for atleast the next year or two since they'll still have Pat White, Steve Slaton, and Noel Divine. I don't question his ability to motivate his athletes, it's the other part of coaching that I do. He has to hire a staff, be able to recruit, and not to mention coach. I just see this turning into another Larry Coker situation, in which he inherited a good set of players, but the program just degressed over his tenure.

WMR
01-03-2008, 10:56 PM
When did boosters start calling into radio shows criticizing coaching hires of their university??? That seems way wrong to me.

Danny Serafini
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM
When did boosters start calling into radio shows criticizing coaching hires of their university??? That seems way wrong to me.

When you spend millions on the program you get a voice. Not saying it's right (in fact if you ask me the whole booster system is a mess) but it's how things work today.

WMR
01-03-2008, 11:19 PM
I understand that giving a university millions of dollars gets you a voice, but that voice should ALWAYS remain "behind the scenes."

Doing what Kendrick did is beyond distasteful, IMO.

Danny Serafini
01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
It absolutely is. But the whole business behind college athletics is distasteful, so what he did, in comparison, is just par for the course.

Chip R
01-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm by no means any kind of expert on WVU football. But giving someone a five year deal based on one good showing doesn't sound like a recipe for success. Maybe this guy will be good, but by not running a real hiring search they've sold themselves short.

5 years at $4M is not big money compared to a lot of coaches. Keep him 2-3 years and if he stinks the max they have to pay him is either $2.4M or $1.6M. If Rodriguez has to pay all of that buyout back, that's Stewart's contract right there.

Boston Red
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
5 years at $4M is not big money compared to a lot of coaches. Keep him 2-3 years and if he stinks the max they have to pay him is either $2.4M or $1.6M. If Rodriguez has to pay all of that buyout back, that's Stewart's contract right there.

It's not the money that's the issue. If he stinks, how long does it take your program to climb back out of the toilet? They're taking a HUGE risk with Stewart, no matter the money.

pedro
01-04-2008, 12:58 AM
He seems like a really nice guy and the players apparently love him. It's their experience not mine. I say good for them.

Chip R
01-04-2008, 01:05 AM
It's not the money that's the issue. If he stinks, how long does it take your program to climb back out of the toilet? They're taking a HUGE risk with Stewart, no matter the money.

How bad could he stink? Could he be any worse than Bill Callahan at Nebraska was? If you get a good coach and he can recruit well, it shouldn't take that much time for the program to re-emerge. Besides, it isn't like WVU is in the SEC or anything.

Besides, if you give him a one or two year deal, that's going to hurt their recruiting big time. You'll have recruits saying, "Hmmm, I like this guy but he may not be around in a year or two. Maybe I better go somewhere where the administration has confidence in their coach like UC."

Boston Red
01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Nebraska is a pretty good example. They made a bad hire or two, and they've stunk for awhile now. If it can happen at Nebraska, it can damn sure happen at West by God Virginia.

I hope it works out, but it's an enormous risk they're taking with their program.

Chip R
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Nebraska is a pretty good example. They made a bad hire or two, and they've stunk for awhile now. If it can happen at Nebraska, it can damn sure happen at West by God Virginia.

I hope it works out, but it's an enormous risk they're taking with their program.

Anyone would be a risk. Fear of the unknown is one of mankind's greatest fears. Would it be any less riskier if they had hired some assistant from some other school or Terry Bowden or a guy like Jerry Moore at Appy State? You think tOSU wasn't taking a risk when they hired Tressell? That worked out well.

That said, I'm not in favor of going on players' feelings in regards to hiring a coach - or a manager. They usually have their own agendas about that sort of thing and it may not be the same one the administration has. Plus if you give them the power to hire a coach, you give them the power to fire him too. If WVU had lost yesterday, would Stewart still have been hired? If WVU still thought he was the right guy for the job then they should have regardless of the outcome of that game.

pedro
01-04-2008, 02:57 AM
That said, I'm not in favor of going on players' feelings in regards to hiring a coach - or a manager.

I feel different about college kids then I do professional athletes. I think for student athletes their feelings about the matter are more relevant than for pros.

KronoRed
01-04-2008, 03:23 AM
I think this will blow up in their faces spectacularly, but then Terry Bowden would have been 10 times worse.

Boston Red
01-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Anyone would be a risk.

Yeah, well there are risks, and then there are RISKS. This seems like a totally unnecessary risk to me. WV is a high profile enough program that they could have nabbed someone a lot more proven than this guy.

Like I said, I hope it works out for them, but my guess is that it turns out awful.

WVRed
01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, well there are risks, and then there are RISKS. This seems like a totally unnecessary risk to me. WV is a high profile enough program that they could have nabbed someone a lot more proven than this guy.

Like I said, I hope it works out for them, but my guess is that it turns out awful.

I think its a short term hire to keep the current program intact.

Josh Jenkins, the number one OG in the nation had said that if WVU hired Butch Jones he would most likely go to Ohio State. You also had the prospect of White and Slaton turning pro, plus keeping Noel Devine in fold. The players had stepped forward before and after the game endorsing Stewart, and they played like it in the Fiesta Bowl.

It is a smart move for even if it doesn't work out, they don't have to pay him a lot of money to go away. If the program does start to regress, I think Stewart will be out within the next three years.

WVRed
01-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I think I know you're talking about but I can't remember the name

Coach Burdette. He would have given the kids "incentive" to play.;)

marcshoe
01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I like the hire because it helps some of us hold on to the illusion that college sports are really what they pretend we are, even though we know better. And I like that it wasn't Terry Bowden (I was a Doc Holliday supporter).

If he fails, so what? Someone else can be brought in, some big name that the I-told-you-so boosters will help pay for (like that WV-born mercenary down in Alabama, for instance).

But for right now, let Stewart see what he can do with the team. Let him bring in some good coordinators and see just how he can recruit.

Jenkins was quoted as saying that if Stewart still wanted him to come to WVU, he'd better get a call by the end of the week, btw.

flyer85
01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
seems like a "Coker" scenario to me.

Chip R
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
seems like a "Coker" scenario to me.

Could be but Coker had Miami playing in a championship game as tOSU fans know so well. I'm sure WVU fans wouldn't mind that kind of success no matter what happened afterwards.

flyer85
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
He will still have Rich's players for a couple of years ... the question is how will he do beyond that.

KronoRed
01-04-2008, 04:33 PM
He will still have Rich's players for a couple of years ... the question is how will he do beyond that.
Maybe they can then hire a fired Bob Stoops

marcshoe
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
It sounds as if defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel, who turned the defense around this year, and much of his staff may stick around. If so, this would be big. Pastilong (the AD) said staff retention was one of the reasons he hired Stewart.

Heath
01-04-2008, 08:52 PM
It sounds as if defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel, who turned the defense around this year, and much of his staff may stick around. If so, this would be big. Pastilong (the AD) said staff retention was one of the reasons he hired Stewart.

Isn't the O-Coord heading to UM with R-Rod?

If I'm Bill Stewart, I'm meeting recruits' parents with the promise of an education in Morgantown, while handing recruits papers with the ranking of the top ten party schools in the US.

Jim Tressel is the first OSU coach who was a fan. He also had a very good relationship with the Northeastern Ohio HS Coaching fraternity. Based even on the last few years, IMO, Tressel's got a free ride at least until he's 65.

marcshoe
01-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Yes, the offensive coordinator and most of his staff are going to Michigan. The DB coach is the only one on the other side of the ball who's committed to going. I listened to an audio interview with Casteel earlier, and while he hasn't committed, he seemed to be leaning toward staying.

As to the party school list--hey, you only have to go to number one! (for some weird reason the school never includes that in those halftime spots telling about the school.)

cincrazy
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
I understand that giving a university millions of dollars gets you a voice, but that voice should ALWAYS remain "behind the scenes."

Doing what Kendrick did is beyond distasteful, IMO.

I completely agree with you here. Kendrick should shut his trap. I believe that WVU rushed to a decision because of the emotion over the OU win, but for Kendrick to go on that power trip is ridiculous.

Many of these big money boosters walk around town like they run the football program and it's a disgrace to the game.

will5979
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
If you were to take a knife and cut my arm, wvu gold and blue would gloriously flow out!

But I am literally scared to death right now with this hire. I feel like this is the same as a Ray Knight/Bob Boone/Jerry Narron situation. A quick fix to a bigger problem...Bowden should have been the obvious, when you are trying to win a national championship you don't send in a Captain to lead troops when that responsibility goes to a General. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm a sucker for a big name...just as I am very excited at the fact that Baker is now leading my beloved Reds...I said I bleed gold and blue about 40%, but really 60% of my blood would be Cincinnati RED!

will5979
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I completely agree with you here. Kendrick should shut his trap. I believe that WVU rushed to a decision because of the emotion over the OU win, but for Kendrick to go on that power trip is ridiculous.

Many of these big money boosters walk around town like they run the football program and it's a disgrace to the game.

I don't really blame the guy, when you are sinking that much money into the program I can't blame him for talking. When you have brought a program to the level of competing for the NC you don't want to go back to just going for a conference title, and I can feel this guys frustration.

Then again I am the type of guy that has a win at all costs mentality regardless of image...sorry.

cincrazy
01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't really blame the guy, when you are sinking that much money into the program I can't blame him for talking. When you have brought a program to the level of competing for the NC you don't want to go back to just going for a conference title, and I can feel this guys frustration.

Then again I am the type of guy that has a win at all costs mentality regardless of image...sorry.

That's my general point though, Kendrick HASN'T brought that program to the leve that it's at now. Sinking a few million bucks into the program doesn't give you ultimate power. I'm sure 1 million dollars to that guy is like 50 bucks to me or you.

I can understand his frustration, and the frustration of many fans. But to air it publicly, in the manner that he did, is classless IMO.

WVRed
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
If you were to take a knife and cut my arm, wvu gold and blue would gloriously flow out!

But I am literally scared to death right now with this hire. I feel like this is the same as a Ray Knight/Bob Boone/Jerry Narron situation. A quick fix to a bigger problem...Bowden should have been the obvious, when you are trying to win a national championship you don't send in a Captain to lead troops when that responsibility goes to a General. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm a sucker for a big name...just as I am very excited at the fact that Baker is now leading my beloved Reds...I said I bleed gold and blue about 40%, but really 60% of my blood would be Cincinnati RED!

JMO, but I believe that the fact that people wanted Terry Bowden as head coach shows that in about ten years, Rich Rodriguez will be welcomed back in the state again, especially if he succeeds at Michigan.;) People want to forget that Bobby Bowden left WVU for greener pastures at Florida State.

My question is this for those questioning the Bill Stewart hire. Lets say they did hire Terry Bowden and the next day, you had Pat White and Steve Slaton decide to go pro. A lot of WVU fans were worried about losing Noel Devine to a Florida team because of his ties there, what if he didn't like the coaching change? What if most of the recruits decommitted and decided to look elsewhere? Would you then stand by the new coach?

The players were endorsing Bill Stewart and some of these players have pretty much reached celebrity status in the Mountain State. I can guarantee that if they decided to go with a new coach who had no ties to the current program and these players left, the panic button would have been hit in West Virginia.

I do believe that WVU could have made the homerun hire and hired either Bowden or Saban, but at what cost? If you have the system in place and the players to run it, why blow it up just because the coach didn't want to drive it anymore?

As far as Ken Kendrick goes, he does have a right to his opinion, but to me its the same as posting on collegiate message boards. Most of the websites you go to that are privately owned censor any talk that is detrimental toward the coach or players. Why? Because potential recruits read those sites to form an opinion on the school. Do they want to read a site where the coach and administration is constantly being criticized? Kendrick does have a right to speak his mind, but sometimes it is just better to keep your mouth shut for the good of the program.