PDA

View Full Version : Rotation spots up for grabs

AmarilloRed
01-04-2008, 02:18 AM
01/03/2008 3:30 PM ET
Arms race: Rotation spots up for grabs
GM Krivsky discusses possibilities for Reds' starting five
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- With seven weeks remaining until the Reds open Spring Training on Feb. 16, this is how their rotation looks:

There are two established starting pitchers in ace Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo. Next is Matt Belisle, who has just one year under his belt as a big league starter. The rest are promising prospects Homer Bailey and newest acquisition Edinson Volquez have a little Major League experience. Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney have none.

That's five young arms competing for the last three spots.

Last month, Cincinnati was one of several teams seeking a potential deal for Orioles lefty Erik Bedard. Since acquiring the 24-year-old Volquez from the Rangers in exchange for Josh Hamilton on Dec. 21, the Bedard Hot Stove ember involving the Reds appears to have been all but extinguished. Baltimore was believed to be seeking a cadre of elite prospects in return, including Minor League Player of the Year Jay Bruce, Joey Votto and Bailey.

"We feel good about adding Volquez to compete for a job," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said on Thursday. "But it's always ongoing to look to add more depth and competition."

As a policy, Krivsky does not speak in specifics about potential trades or signings.

Adding another experienced pitcher to the mix could bolster the starting five and also push the younger guys in camp. Krivsky plans on having some lesser known non-roster invites add to the numbers, but didn't rule out doing something a little more dynamic.

"As far as the recognizable names on the free-agent market, we're still looking at that," Krivsky said. "There's still a possibility of a trade to bring someone that has more name recognition."

Most of the interesting names remaining on the free-agent market are a few years past their best seasons, but could offer benefits in the middle or back of the rotation. Livan Hernandez or Brett Tomko would fall under that category. Others are coming off significant injuries like Jon Lieber, Kris Benson or Bartolo Colon.

As far as re-ignited efforts for a top-tier starting pitcher, don't count on it. But don't fully count it out either.

"It's always a possibility," Krivsky said. "You just have to weigh everything. During the holidays, it died down. But I'm sure calls will pick up again as teams fine tune their rosters going into Spring Training. We'll have to wait and see."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080103&content_id=2338544&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Bip Roberts
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I like the Kris Benson idea out of any of the names out there.

TheWalls
01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I like the Kris Benson idea out of any of the names out there.

His wife in Cincinnati would be hilarious!:eek:

terminator
01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
That's five young arms competing for the last three spots.

While it would still be nice to add an established starter, I like the sound of the above better than the usual "That's five injury plagued re-treads trying to return to form competing for the last three spots."

*BaseClogger*
01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I think Matt Belisle is pretty much guaranteed a spot...

BLEEDS
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
based on WK comments, I think we are not yet done with ACQUISITIONS.

From the Org:

Free Agents Possibilities:

Livan Hernandez
Jon Lieber
David Wells
Jeremy Affeldt
Bartolo Colon

Trade Possibilities:

Joe Blanton
Cliff Lee
Chris Capuano
Erik Bedard
Scott Kazmir

IMO, we would be best to go for Blanton. It's pretty obvious Beane is in SELL NOW mode, so IMO we'd be best to trade for him. He will ask for Quantity, not Quality.

We might even be able to get him without giving up Cueto OR Bailey.

Maloney, Stubbs, fodder A, fodder B, fodder C for Blanton...

THEN, you can leave Homer and Johnny in AAA for most of the season, where they SHOULD be to start the year.

Harang
Blanton
Arroyo
Belisle
Volquez

ME LIKES!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Newman4
01-04-2008, 02:35 PM

I agree.

*BaseClogger*
01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
BLEEDS- I gotta ask you: Which year do the Reds have a better chance of winning? 2008 or 2009? If the anwser is 2009, then why don't we save our prospects and just sign somebody as good as Blanton (Derek Lowe) in the 2009 FA pool?

Brian
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM
In this division, you're only a few good pitchers away from having a shot at the division title. I'd say the Reds are one pitcher away from having that chance. Cn they make it in the playoffs, that's diffucult to say, but unless that guy is Santana or Bedard, probably not. 2009 is more likely, assuming the young arms develop and aren't traded away.

redsfanmia
01-04-2008, 05:04 PM

If he is guaranteed a spot then I think we are in for yet another long season. Belisle's role on any team with a shot to win is as a spot starter/long man.

Nasty_Boy
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Belisle has the arm and the stuff to be a good ML pitcher. I'm not going to discount him after an up and down 1st year in the rotation. I also think that Narron and a terrible bullpen took their toll on Matty.

*BaseClogger*
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
If he is guaranteed a spot then I think we are in for yet another long season. Belisle's role on any team with a shot to win is as a spot starter/long man.

Considering Belisle had about a 4.50 FIP in 2007, which is about NL average #3, he certainly should be given a rotation spot and is much more valueable than a long reliever...

BLEEDS
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
BLEEDS- I gotta ask you: Which year do the Reds have a better chance of winning? 2008 or 2009? If the anwser is 2009, then why don't we save our prospects and just sign somebody as good as Blanton (Derek Lowe) in the 2009 FA pool?

Why can't it be both?!?! I want to win SOME in 2008 - I think we can compete with a FA pitcher, but a #1/#2 puts us in REAL competition.

Right now 2009 has too many question marks - Dunn, Jr being the biggest - to say for sure. Also, you don't know what the other teams might do by then.

In 2008, I know I'll have Dunn, Jr, and Bruce available in the same OF - for probably the only time. We also have Harang and Arroyo on the cheap.

I like both of those guys you mentioned, but obviously a Blanton type is younger, so we have a LARGER window to work with him.

I want to get good, step-by-step, and for the long-term. We Certainly Need to win some in 2008 to build momentum.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

*BaseClogger*
01-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Why can't it be both?!?! I want to win SOME in 2008 - I think we can compete with a FA pitcher, but a #1/#2 puts us in REAL competition.

Right now 2009 has too many question marks - Dunn, Jr being the biggest - to say for sure. Also, you don't know what the other teams might do by then.

In 2008, I know I'll have Dunn, Jr, and Bruce available in the same OF - for probably the only time. We also have Harang and Arroyo on the cheap.

I like both of those guys you mentioned, but obviously a Blanton type is younger, so we have a LARGER window to work with him.

I want to get good, step-by-step, and for the long-term. We Certainly Need to win some in 2008 to build momentum.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

No, just becuase Blanton is younger doesn't mean we would have a longer window because we would have to trade many cost-controlled young players to get him...

BLEEDS
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
No, just becuase Blanton is younger doesn't mean we would have a longer window because we would have to trade many cost-controlled young players to get him...

We would have Blanton longer, and cheaper, which is why our window would be longer.

I wouldn't necessarily trade Bailey for him, but maybe Cueto if I had to, otherwise I think he can be had for less. My scenario was Maloney, Stubbs, and FODDER (read: AA or lower). We can live with that - still keeping Bailey and Cueto, to ultimately replace the Harangs/Arroyo's down the line.

I don't care about giving up 1-2 AAA guys with some guys who are in AA or below if I can get a Blanton type signed now for the 3-5 years window.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Blanton would be a 4 at most i think for the reds. I think Belisle is just a tiny bit lesser of the 2 right now.

redsfanmia
01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Considering Belisle had about a 4.50 FIP in 2007, which is about NL average #3, he certainly should be given a rotation spot and is much more valueable than a long reliever...

Did you watch any of his starts? There is no way on a good team that he is a 3 starter at this point. He was way too inconsistant.

redsfanmia
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Blanton would be a 4 at most i think for the reds. I think Belisle is just a tiny bit lesser of the 2 right now.

Are you related to Matt? In a perfect world he is our swing guy.

Bip Roberts
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Are you related to Matt? In a perfect world he is our swing guy.

I just think Matt has the better stuff and has only had 1 year of MLB starting under his belt.

*BaseClogger*
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Did you watch any of his starts? There is no way on a good team that he is a 3 starter at this point. He was way too inconsistant.

You go with observations that you make by watching all his starts, I believe in the numbers. I'm sorry I live in Michigan and don't want to pay $300 for MLB Extra Innings...

AmarilloRed
01-05-2008, 01:55 AM
You go with observations that you make by watching all his starts, I believe in the numbers. I'm sorry I live in Michigan and don't want to pay $300 for MLB Extra Innings...

You can simply watch Gameday for free, and see how Belisle is doing yourself.

Bip Roberts
01-05-2008, 02:08 AM
I watched all but a handful of games that werent on TV last season and Belisle didnt pitch bad from a throwing standpoint he tended to have a lot of mental mistakes and i expect those to change with time. Hes not the greatest pitcher but hes also not the worst one, and hes for sure better than pretty much every free agent.

Getting Blanton would be one thing, I like him a lot for what he is, but I think Belisle could be just as good next season if he fixes his mistake pitches.