PDA

View Full Version : Positional Depth 2008

mth123
01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Here is a rough framework for the Red's positional depth. After yesterday's announced moves the picture clears significantly.

There are some known issues with the chart but its a starting point:

1. Its possible I missed someone and some spots are pretty iffy.
2. Juan Castro won't be the AAA utility IF
3. Todd Frazier starting out in AA is probably unlikely even if I would do that with him.
4. Lots of questions about SS and 3B with many players but maybe not all ready for the levels where the openings are.
5. Some players play multiple positions (Rosales, Griffin, probably FRazier, Soto and Valaika) and are listed at the spot that fits best

Anyhow, its a start, and feel free to chime in with corrections, ommissions and disagreements.

Pos Cin AAA AA A+ A- Rookie+ Rookie
1B Votto A. Phillips T. Guttierez Parker McKennon Rimes
2B B. Phillips A. Green De Jesus Turner Kendrick Baker
SS Gonzalez Janish Jo. Castro Eymann Cozart Kuo Kahaulelio
3B Encarnacion Rosales Frazier Francisco Waring Soto
LF Dunn Dorn Cumberland Heisey Menchaca Pennial Bastardo
CF Bruce Dickerson Strait Stubbs K. Jones Reed Oliveras
RF Griffey Fiorentino Henry Holden Maunus M. Jones Brown
C Ross Hanigan Tatum Esquer Long Mesoraco Denove

4OF Hopper Gil Szymanski Kainer Phipps G. Cabrera R. Crosby
U Freel (Multi) J.Cabrera (Mul) Griffin (Mul) Valaika (IF) Bartles (3B) Mendez (3B) Pullen
U Hatteberg (1B) Barker (1B) Piepkorn (1B) Meade ( C) Louwsma (1B) Feiner (SS) Wideman ( C)
IF Keppinger Ju. Castro Anderson Tordi (SS) A. Cabrera (SS) Gauldron Moreta (SS)
C Javy Colina Kroski Rodriguez Bour Cech Waller

dougdirt
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't know exactly how its going to work out, but I don't think that Soto can start in Rookie ball or that Valaika is a utility guy.

mth123
01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't know exactly how its going to work out, but I don't think that Soto can start in Rookie ball or that Valaika is a utility guy.

Yeah, thats part of what I was referring to with comment about SS and 3B (I guess 2B as well).

I hope Soto jumps to Dayton, but Cozart probably needs to stay there and both Waring and Bartles will probably be there as well. I guess they could try him at 2B. Since he'll be only 19 in February and played in the GCL last year, a one level promotion to Billings seems reasonable if not ideal.

Valaika could very well play SS at Sarasota, but since the team seems to be ready to move him to 2B, I listed him at utility because I think he'll play both spots. Turner is ready for A+ as well and he's pretty well slotted at 2B. Unless the Reds want to bust Valaika back down to Dayton there isn't really a 2B job open.

dougdirt
01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
The Reds have stated that the idea is to go younger on Dayton this year than years past and generally guys that hit well as 18 year olds in the GCL for the Reds go to Dayton and not to Billings. Its going to be interesting to see how things play out.... lots of people playing similar positions and all of whom deserve a chance to start. Getting it done should be a fun job for the guys in charge.

gedred69
01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Here is a rough framework for the Red's positional depth. After yesterday's announced moves the picture clears significantly.

There are some known issues with the chart but its a starting point:

1. Its possible I missed someone and some spots are pretty iffy.
2. Juan Castro won't be the AAA utility IF
3. Todd Frazier starting out in AA is probably unlikely even if I would do that with him.
4. Lots of questions about SS and 3B with many players but maybe not all ready for the levels where the openings are.
5. Some players play multiple positions (Rosales, Griffin, probably FRazier, Soto and Valaika) and are listed at the spot that fits best

Anyhow, its a start, and feel free to chime in with corrections, ommissions and disagreements.

Pos Cin AAA AA A+ A- Rookie+ Rookie
1B Votto A. Phillips T. Guttierez Parker McKennon Rimes
2B B. Phillips A. Green De Jesus Turner Kendrick Baker
SS Gonzalez Janish Jo. Castro Eymann Cozart Kuo Kahaulelio
3B Encarnacion Rosales Frazier Francisco Waring Soto
LF Dunn Dorn Cumberland Heisey Menchaca Pennial Bastardo
CF Bruce Dickerson Strait Stubbs K. Jones Reed Oliveras
RF Griffey Fiorentino Henry Holden Maunus M. Jones Brown
C Ross Hanigan Tatum Esquer Long Mesoraco Denove

4OF Hopper Gil Szymanski Kainer Phipps G. Cabrera R. Crosby
U Freel (Multi) J.Cabrera (Mul) Griffin (Mul) Valaika (IF) Bartles (3B) Mendez (3B) Pullen
U Hatteberg (1B) Barker (1B) Piepkorn (1B) Meade ( C) Louwsma (1B) Feiner (SS) Wideman ( C)
IF Keppinger Ju. Castro Anderson Tordi (SS) A. Cabrera (SS) Gauldron Moreta (SS)
C Javy Colina Kroski Rodriguez Bour Cech Waller

Pretty decent list. Glad to see recognition for Dorn, whom I think might make an even larger jump than last season. One thing that is really glaring to me, is somehow, someway, Bartles and Waring need to be out from each others' shadow So we can see what we got. Any ideas?

Benihana
01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Nice list. A few quibbles:
I doubt Justin Reed spends another year in rookie ball. I also think Soto starts in Dayton, and it's a little early for Frazier in Chattanooga. Sarasota maybe, but AA is too big of a jump for a second year player IMO. Although this has also been debated to death, I would like to see Mesoraco spend the year in Dayton. However if he does start in Billings, he better tear it up.

mth123
01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Good list, although I doubt Justin Reed spends another year in rookie ball. I also think Soto starts in Dayton, and it's a little early for Frazier in Chattanooga. Sarasota maybe, but AA is too big of a jump for a second year player IMO. Although this has also been debated to death, I would like to see Mesoraco spend the year in Dayton. However if he does start in Billings, he better tear it up.

You're probably right on all counts but the Reds need to clear some spots to make these things happen. Reed wasn't that impressive at Billings and even though its rookie ball, Billings is a clear step up from the GCL. He's still only 20 next year and many Billings level players are 21 year olds coming out of college. Same can be said of Mesoraco and the GCL. Jake Long needs to play.

As for Frazier, the SS spot at Sarasota is filled by a non-prospect on this list, and either Frazier or Valaika could play there. I listed them with the idea that they'll be moving and the Reds pretty much indicated so with Valaika by him playing 2B in Hawaii. I'd like to see the Reds cash in on Francisco's big year by including him in a deal for pitching and open 3B for Frazier in A+.

BigRed07
01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I would think Turner could win the 2B position in AA out of ST. If he is in AA, they could let Valaika play 2B in Sarasota.

mth123
01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I would think Turner could win the 2B position in AA out of ST. If he is in AA, they could let Valaika play 2B in Sarasota.

I looked at that. He was a 4 year college guy who turned 23 in November, so its possible. He only had 20 ABs at Sarasota.

BigRed07
01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I looked at the stats and based my opinion on them.Turner has a good chance to be in AA competing with Anderson for the 2B job. I think Frazier will be in Sarasota splitting time at SS (w/Valaika) and 3B (w/Francisco). This will also allow Valaika to log plenty of innings at 2B. Soto should be in Dayton and split time with Cozart. Cozart was moved to 2B last year in Dayton when Frazier was moved up. It should be very competitive in ST this year. We just have to wait and see where everyone ends up when the dust settles.

DeJesus

Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
SAR FSL .261 113 417 76 109 12 2 4 29 137 78 52 4 6 .380 .329 .709
Minors .261 113 417 76 109 12 2 4 29 137 78 52 4 6 .380 .329 .709

Turner

Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
DAY MID .311 117 466 70 145 25 4 10 59 208 39 72 12 8 .374 .446 .820
SAR FSL .200 6 20 2 4 0 0 0 0 4 1 2 0 0 .238 .200 .438
Minors .307 123 486 72 149 25 4 10 59 212 40 74 12 8 .369 .436 .805

Betterread
01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
My thoughts:
I think either Valaika and/or Turner have a shot at AA at 2B.
Otherwise Valaika will be a high A 2B and Turner will be a high A SS.
Frazier will be at high A at 3B. He'll be moved from SS.
Soto will be in Dayton at a new position
Justin Reed will be in Dayton.
Dorn will be at AA.
Bruce will be at AAA.
Rosales plays 1B and will play at AA.

lollipopcurve
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Excellent breakout, thanks mth.

At first glance, I'd tweak a little like this...

No way Josh Holden starts over Kainer, or Maunus over Phipps. Frazier won't be at AA. Juan Castro won't be riding pine in Louisville (I think Drew Anderson will be a utility guy there, or starting at 2B). I'm guessing Bruce starts at AAA and Dorn at AA. I don't think Tony Brown repeats the GCL.

mth123
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Some thoughts on ideas put forth in the last few posts:

Valaika in AA. Valaika tanked bad in Sarasota to the tune of .253/.310/.332/.642 in 236 PA. He followed that with .269/.319/.398/.717 in 115 PA in the Hawaiin Winter League. No way he goes to AA after that. He's more likely to go back down to Dayton to get straightened out IMO.

The OF in both A and A+ isn't especially exciting. Kainer and Holden are both non-prospects IMO though at second glance I agree that Kainer should be in front of Holden. Holden will be 27 next season and is still struggling in the low minors. Looks like we've found the guy to move out to make room. Kyle Maunus (.809 OPS in 209 PA at Billings) looks more promising than Denis Phipps (.651 OPS in 500+ PA at Dayton). This leads to a realization that the 3B crowd of Frazier, Francisco, Waring, Soto and Bartles probably needs to have a guy or two land in the OF. I've resisted that notion in the chart because these go from exciting bats as IF to ho-hum bats as Corner OF. But it would solve the problems of where to play all these guys and they may have enough pop to get by even in a corner OF slot. I'm not sure, but I wonder if a guy like Soto could even handle center eventually. As far as Frazier to AA being too big a jump, I agree mostly, but good hitters who spent 3 years crushing NCAA pitching like Frazier did at Rutgers sometimes debut at AA. I really don't think its that much of a reach. The Reds probably won't jump him that far though. Bowden might have, but Krivsky probably not.

Danny Dorn only had 108 PAs at AA and the suggestion that he start back there is probably accurate. I'm generally a "challenge thy hitters" type and there seems to be an opening in the AAA OF unless Bruce stays there. I think the Hamilton deal is an indication that Bruce starts in CF in Cincy unless he completely tanks in Spring.

I think its a toss-up between Brown and Pennial at Billings and the GCL. Pennial went straight to Billings and Brown will probably be with him with a draftee playing in the GCL.

I don't agree that Adam Rosales will play at 1B or stay at AA. Rosales bat becomes a real plus at 3B as opposed to somewhat pedestrian at 1B. He started out as a SS and can probably handle 3B defensively. He was only biding time at 1B to take stress off of an injured arm that required the 2007 season to heal. Finally, if the Reds intend for Rosales to play 1B in 2008, they sure don't act like it. Rosales was playing other spots in Arizona and since the end of the year the Reds re-signed Tonys Guttierrez who looks slotted for AA 1B and Jeremiah Piepkorn looks like he may be ready to jump to AA as well. At AAA the Reds signed Andy Phillips and Kevin Barker both 1B. It's possible that Rosales plays 3B in AA I guess since we probably agree that it won't be Frazier. But, Rosales is 25 in May, and went .278/.377/.549/.926 in 297 AA PA in 2007. That looks like a guy ready to move up to me and there really isn't anyone to play 3B at AAA as currently situated unless Jerry Gil plays there. I like Rosales quite a bit as a prospect and think he could be a plus player in a Freel type role.

Good discussion.

Mario-Rijo
01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
:D..........

..............What does a Milton Loo return do to your list? ;)

icehole3
01-06-2008, 07:11 AM
I think Waring is going to do a Danny Dorn on us this year and just sky rocket through a few levels.

Betterread
01-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't agree that Adam Rosales will play at 1B or stay at AA. Rosales bat becomes a real plus at 3B as opposed to somewhat pedestrian at 1B. He started out as a SS and can probably handle 3B defensively. He was only biding time at 1B to take stress off of an injured arm that required the 2007 season to heal. Finally, if the Reds intend for Rosales to play 1B in 2008, they sure don't act like it. Rosales was playing other spots in Arizona and since the end of the year the Reds re-signed Tonys Guttierrez who looks slotted for AA 1B and Jeremiah Piepkorn looks like he may be ready to jump to AA as well. At AAA the Reds signed Andy Phillips and Kevin Barker both 1B. It's possible that Rosales plays 3B in AA I guess since we probably agree that it won't be Frazier. But, Rosales is 25 in May, and went .278/.377/.549/.926 in 297 AA PA in 2007. That looks like a guy ready to move up to me and there really isn't anyone to play 3B at AAA as currently situated unless Jerry Gil plays there. I like Rosales quite a bit as a prospect and think he could be a plus player in a Freel type role.

Good discussion.
After reading your informed take on Rosales' time at 1B, I have changed my perception of Rosales' position switch to 1b being a somewhat permanent one.
The Reds organization does need more viable 1B prospects - after Votto, who is there?
Rosales would project well as a utilityman.

Your chart was thoughtfully put together and obviously interesting to read and think about. I appreciate the time you put into it.

mth123
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
After reading your informed take on Rosales' time at 1B, I have changed my perception of Rosales' position switch to 1b being a somewhat permanent one.
The Reds organization does need more viable 1B prospects - after Votto, who is there?
Rosales would project well as a utilityman.

Your chart was thoughtfully put together and obviously interesting to read and think about. I appreciate the time you put into it.

Thanks. I just do it for kicks and there are lots of ways things could shake out. In all probabilty the Reds will sign another journeyman or two to fill some upper level thin spots and force more competition for spots at lower levels. Some guys on this chart (I vote Szymanksi , Holden and maybe Strait and Janish) may be gone before the season starts and the lower levels will probably be filled in by some yet undrafted draftees or unsigned international players. A trade for a major league pitcher may rob some depth and change the picture as well.

I agree that 1B and also the OF look kind of weak at lower levels. I'm guessing the whole Waring, Bartles, Frazier, Francicso and Soto logjam may address those issues. It just concerns me that they'll take a value hit in those positions. Michael McKennon (.833 OPS with a .503 Slug %) may be a guy to watch at 1B. A good year at Dayton will at least put him in the conversation. He looks to have some pop and just needs to refine his plate discipline to raise that OBP.

I'm kind of hoping for an Aaron Boone type value out of Rosales. He won't be a star but could be a solid contributor while he's cheap.

Cooper
01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Does anyone have a real good feel for what Adam Rosales can do defensively? I know he played 1st base and that move was the result of an arm injury (correct?)....so what/where can he play and get away with it? Some of you are mentioning 3rd, can he do that with an arm problem? One last question: he appears to have some speed based on the amount of triples he hit...could he play OF and get away with it?

mth123
01-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Does anyone have a real good feel for what Adam Rosales can do defensively? I know he played 1st base and that move was the result of an arm injury (correct?)....so what/where can he play and get away with it? Some of you are mentioning 3rd, can he do that with an arm problem? One last question: he appears to have some speed based on the amount of triples he hit...could he play OF and get away with it?

I'd like some more certain insight as well. He came up as a SS so those guys can usually play fairly well anywhere based on skill. The arm injury is the real question, but Rosales played 3B in the AFL in October and November. I'm guessing (key word is guessing) that they think his arm is healthy enough to handle it or the Reds would have never allowed it. He's also played a few games at 2B and OF (not a lot) in his career so that is why I'm making the multi position leap. This is all based on the assumption that his arm is sound. Of course if he hits at the .850+ OPS level again, he may be a candidate for a permanent position somewhere and the multi-position stuff won't be necessary.

lollipopcurve
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Michael McKennon (.833 OPS with a .503 Slug %) may be a guy to watch at 1B.

Nah. Two years at Billings following a college career. He's a non-prospect.

mth123
01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Nah. Two years at Billings following a college career. He's a non-prospect.

McKennon will be 23 on opening day. If he gets some plate discipline to go with his power and can finish at A+ in 2008 and start 2009 at AA, there is still time for him to reach the majors at 25 or so. That's a lot of ifs. You're probably right.

camisadelgolf
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I noticed you had a few players who have been released, so I did my own draft. It'd be nice if Juan Castro ended up in Louisville, though.

MLB AAA AA A+ A Rk GCL
C Dave Ross C Ryan Hanigan C Craig Tatum C Anthony Esquer C Devin Mesoraco C Jordan Wideman C Frank Meade
1B Joey Votto 1B Andy Phillips 1B Tonys Gutierrez 1B Logan Parker 1B Brandon Waring 1B Eli Rimes 1B ?
2B Brandon Phillips 2B Drew Anderson 2B Justin Turner 2B Chris Valaika 2B Yen-Wen Kuo 2B Jose Gualdron 2B Jake Kahaulelio
3B Edwin Encarnacion 3B Adam Rosales 3B Michael Griffin 3B Juan Francisco 3B Todd Frazier 3B Carlos Mendez 3B Jamie Gianchou
SS Alex Gonzalez SS Paul Janish SS Jose Castro SS Zack Cozart SS Neftali Soto SS Angel Cabrera SS Radhames Moreta
LF Adam Dunn LF Jeff Fiorentino LF Sean Henry LF Chris Heisey LF Keltavious Jones LF Tony Brown LF David Lutz
CF Ryan Freel CF Chris Dickerson CF Shaun Cumberland CF Drew Stubbs CF Justin Reed CF Michael Jones CF Mariekson Gregarius
RF Ken Griffey, Jr. RF Jay Bruce RF Danny Dorn RF Denis Phipps RF Brandon Menchaca RF Brett Bartles RF ?
C Javier Valentin C Alvin Colina C Chris Kroski C Eddy Rodriguez C Jake Long C Jason Bour C Petr Cech
1B Scott Hatteberg 1B Kevin Barker 1B Jeremiah Piepkorn 1B Jason Louwsma C Chris Denove C Todd Waller C Mauro Schiavoni
2B Jeff Keppinger 2B Luis Bolivar 2B Michael DeJesus 3B Eric Eymann 1B Mike McKennon 2B Wayne Kendrick 2B ?
IF Juan Castro IF Jolbert Cabrera OF Cody Strait SS Justin Tordi 3B Ryan Baker 3B Brodie Pullen 3B ?
OF Norris Hopper IF Andy Green OF B.J. Szymanski OF Gerardo Cabrera SS Kevyn Feiner OF Jose Bastardo OF ?
UT Jerry Gil OF Josh Holden OF Carson Kainer OF Kyle Maunus OF Alexis Oliveras OF ?

SP Aaron Harang SP Johnny Cueto SP Alex Smit SP Travis Wood SP Kyle Lotzkar SP Efrain Rodriguez SP Luca Panerati
SP Bronson Arroyo SP Richie Gardner SP James Avery SP Travis Webb SP Evan Hildebrandt SP Brandon Rice SP Curtis Partch
SP Homer Bailey SP Matt Maloney SP Sam Lecure SP Juan Rafael SP Scott Carroll SP Enerio Del Rosario SP Matteo Pizziconi
SP Edinson Volquez SP Tom Shearn SP Carlos Fisher SP Rafael Gonzalez SP Tzu-Kai Chiu SP Luis Montano SP ?
SP Matt Belisle SP Justin James SP Ben Jukich SP Jordan Smith SP Harris Honeycutt SP Jon Conatser SP ?
SP Sergio Valenzuela SP Bobby Livingston SP Daryl Thompson SP Sean Watson SP Drew Bowman SP Jose Marizan SP ?
SP Adam Pettyjohn
SP Chris Michalak
RP Francisco Cordero RP Justin Lehr RP Justin Mallett RP Lee Tabor RP Charles Snowden RP Joe Krebs RP Tom Fiebig
RP Mike Stanton RP Jim Brower RP Brock Till RP Misael DeJesus RP Daniel Guerrero RP Scott Gaffney RP Jordan Hotchkiss
RP Todd Coffey RP Ramon Ramirez RP Derrik Lutz RP Ramon Geronimo RP Jeremy Horst RP Ray Jeffords RP Ricky Rhodes
RP Dave Weathers RP Ty Pelland RP Josh Roenicke RP Josh Ravin RP Jamie Arneson RP Matt Klinker RP Jeremy Vinyard
RP Gary Majewski RP Jon Coutlangus RP Pedro Viola RP Anthony Gressick RP Kevin Gunter RP Anthony Romero RP Aguido Gonzalez
RP Jared Burton RP Brad Salmon RP Camilo Vazquez RP Phil Valiquette RP Dan Donaldson RP Tyler Rhoden RP Victor Navarro
RP Jon Adkins RP Dan Denham RP Terrell Young RP Dan Zeffiro RP James Morris RP Alejandro Astorga
RP Marcus McBeth RP Robert Manuel RP Steve Otterness
RP Bill Bray RP Logan Ondrusek RP Josh Beal
RP Ricky Stone RP Danny Herrera

camisadelgolf
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
By the way, who are Crosby and Pennial?

TRF
01-07-2008, 06:13 PM
camisadelgolf, Maj in Cincinnati? really?

really???

Mario-Rijo
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I'll tell ya one thing. If we don't trade a good size package of guys off for someone this offseason and we draft well again this season we might have a tough time developing some of these guys with the glut we seem to have. Even our bench players at some levels aren't too bad.

Kc61
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll tell ya one thing. If we don't trade a good size package of guys off for someone this offseason and we draft well again this season we might have a tough time developing some of these guys with the glut we seem to have. Even our bench players at some levels aren't too bad.

Reds could add another team. Many teams have a short-season A ball team, the Reds do not. This would help accomodate more prospects.

This last list by camisadelgolf is an excellent refinement. I saw four things that I didn't agree with:

I have to figure Bray is in the major leagues.

Justin Turner barely played High-A ball, don't see him at AA.

Valiquette should be at Dayton, he pitched mostly at Billings in '07

Hildenbrandt, I would guess, will pitch rookie ball next year, probably Billings.

Redman15
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Turner should of been in A+ when they bumped Valaika up. For some reason they left him in Dayton after the all-star game. The same thing happened in 06 when they kept Dorn,Valaika and Turner in Billings after they tore up the Pioneer league. Hopefully the Reds have changed their philosophy on holding players back. It was nice to see Frazier and Waring bumped up to Dayton this year.

gedred69
01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I think Turner should of been in A+ when they bumped Valaika up. For some reason they left him in Dayton after the all-star game. The same thing happened in 06 when they kept Dorn,Valaika and Turner in Billings after they tore up the Pioneer league. Hopefully the Reds have changed their philosophy on holding players back. It was nice to see Frazier and Waring bumped up to Dayton this year.

Excellent points! I was happy to see last year the Reds decided Dorn didn't need to play at Dayton and skipped him to Sarasota. He showed serious signs of being a real good'n. And, I hope Icehole3 is right on Waring. If he gets hot at Dayton, move him up ASAP. Let the cream rise, times a wastin'.

mth123
01-07-2008, 11:07 PM
By the way, who are Crosby and Pennial?
Position players.

Here is Pennial. Crosby was my error. I missed Bolivar.

I'm not finding David Lutz, Gregarious, Gianchou, or Schiavini but I also don't find them released. I saw Gregarious mentioned in another thread so I assume I missed him. I vaguely remember Gianchou but don't know if he's around.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=William%20Penniall&pos=OF&sid=t513&t=p_pbp&pid=453008

dougdirt
01-08-2008, 12:52 AM
you aren't finding David Lutz because you should be looking for Donald Lutz.

camisadelgolf
01-08-2008, 10:15 AM
camisadelgolf, Maj in Cincinnati? really?

really???

Probably not. Everyone on Earth should like Bray more than Majewski, but I tried to make my list less subjective by considering how many options a player has left. I don't think it's realistic for the Reds to have so many pitchers at AAA.

TRF
01-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Probably not. Everyone on Earth should like Bray more than Majewski, but I tried to make my list less subjective by considering how many options a player has left. I don't think it's realistic for the Reds to have so many pitchers at AAA.

I'd rather the Reds just release him. He has no value as a pitcher right now. Also, releasing him strengthens their grievance against the Nats IMO.

camisadelgolf
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Position players.

Here is Pennial. Crosby was my error. I missed Bolivar.

I'm not finding David Lutz, Gregarious, Gianchou, or Schiavini but I also don't find them released. I saw Gregarious mentioned in another thread so I assume I missed him. I vaguely remember Gianchou but don't know if he's around.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=William%20Penniall&pos=OF&sid=t513&t=p_pbp&pid=453008

Donald (my bad) Lutz is a German (and therefore my favorite Reds prospect) and was signed out of the European baseball academy. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62227

Mariekson Gregorius was signed out of Netherlands Antilles. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61673

Mauro Schiavoni is an Italian who played Dominican ball for the Reds in 2007. He also played in the European Baseball Academy. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070808&content_id=2137366&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=33247

Jamie Gianchou is an Australian who projects as a third baseman. He signed a record signing bonus for an Australian ($300,000 or so), so the Reds really like him.