PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoffs

WMR
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Who's watching the games?

Jacksonville is taking it to Pittsburgh so far.

Seattle gave the Redskins a big wake-up call after their magical run.

WMR
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
And Jacksonville just picked off Rothlesbooger again!

WMR
01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Jacksonville goes up 21-7

Joseph
01-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Sad to see the 'skins taken out.

Big ol' hell yeah to the Jaguars.

WMR
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Sad to see the 'skins taken out.

Big ol' hell yeah to the Jaguars.

:thumbup:

What about that UK game today buddy?

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't expect Pitt to win this game as they just have too many holes, but for anyone who thinks that the officials have been pro-Steelers throughout the year(s), so far we've seen a phantom reversal of a Holmes completion and a phantom holding call that erased a two-point conversion.

guttle11
01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Pittsburgh will win this game.

I feel dirty for typing that.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I still expect Pitt to lose, but what's going on is almost unbelievable.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
This game has renewed my hatred of the Steelers.

They must have made some deal with the devil over the past few years where even good defenses can't stop even the most mundane plays.

I'm going to need to go to counseling after this. They were dead in the water, and now one of the few teams that could have given New England a run for their money is gone. Pittsburgh will be out next round.

WMR
01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Seriously, Dom.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:17 PM
This game has renewed my hatred of the Steelers.

They must have made some deal with the devil over the past few years where even good defenses can't stop even the most mundane plays.

I'm going to need to go to counseling after this. They were dead in the water, and now one of the few teams that could have given New England a run for their money is gone. Pittsburgh will be out next round.

Pittsburgh is not going to win this game.

Cedric
01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Steelers benefitting from the Ref's again. Such a shock. I know there is no big conspiracy, it's still just sad. Hines Ward proves again why he's such a classless player. He has done nothing but run his mouth and cheat all game. Same ol' Hines.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Steelers benefitting from the Ref's again. Such a shock. I know there is no big conspiracy, it's still just sad. Hines Ward proves again why he's such a classless player. He has done nothing but run his mouth and cheat all game. Same ol' Hines.

You'd have to not be watching this game and then hear an erroneous report to conclude that Pittsburgh has, in any way, benefitted from the officials tonight.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:27 PM

Not sure how you figure that.

This is nothing against any of the cool Pittsburgh fans we have here, but I'm telling you, I hate everything about that team. I hate the players, I hate their style of play, I hate Hines Ward's big melon- even Troy Polamalu's beard was giving me an ulcer tonight. I even get annoyed with their names being in yellow on their jerseys. And don't get me started about the missing decal on their helmet and that weird side of the field where nobody can make a field go over 20 yards.

I think I'm going to go cry in a corner somewhere with my favorite blanket.

:)

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM

Told ya'.

RedFanAlways1966
01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow... what a game! JAX now in position to win on a huge 4th down run by Garrard. 1:30 left.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Jacksonville better score a touchdown because a field goal more than 6 yards is about impossible in that stadium.

guttle11
01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Great decision and run by Garrard. Pittsburgh sold out and had no LBs to contain him in the pocket.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Kick is good. Jags win. That's the way it was destined to be.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Great decision and run by Garrard. Pittsburgh sold out and had no LBs to contain him in the pocket.

It was a designed play. I didn't expect Pitt to be able to stop it.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Steel- you are right about the calls.

But good heavens give my theory on the deal with the devil some thought: Hines Ward catches a deflected ball?

RedFanAlways1966
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Scobee hits a FG. 31-29 JAX.

Never understood why the kicker pats the ground down where the ball is to be placed before the snap. Pat down the ground where your plant foot is going to be when kicking.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Game over. Pittsburgh just didn't have the team this year. Too many big plays against and too many mistakes made. I'm not at all surprised.

Oh, and the reason I predicted Pitt to lose in the end is that they haven't been able to stop anyone in the last two or three minutes of a game. I expect the Jags to be New England's next victim.

RedFanAlways1966
01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Ben! Takes a sack and fumbles. Gotta throw it away if pressured. Even if you get intentional grounding.

Easy for me to say...

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I won't believe this even after the game clock reads negative 2 minutes, if the Jags' lead holds.

I fully expect to see Hines Ward skipping into the end zone on a trick play drawn up on Roethlisberger's hand.

WMR
01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I won't believe this even after the game clock reads negative 2 minutes, if the Jags' lead holds.

I fully expect to see Hines Ward skipping into the end zone on a trick play drawn up on Roethlisberger's hand.

Yep, me too.

Love to see the Squealers lose; sorry Steel.

RedFanAlways1966
01-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Not for any teams playing today, but as a football fan I must say they were two entertaining games to watch. Hope tomorrow is just as good.

deltachi8
01-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Game over. Pittsburgh just didn't have the team this year. Too many big plays against and too many mistakes made. I'm not at all surprised.

Oh, and the reason I predicted Pitt to lose in the end is that they haven't been able to stop anyone in the last two or three minutes of a game. I expect the Jags to be New England's next victim.

Spot on. Tonight's game demonstrated all the faults the Steelers have. Some times they could hide them, but you face a better team, it's very hard to do that for 60 minutes.

Overall though, I will take a 10-6 season and the playoffs with a first year coach and look forward to next year.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Yep, me too.

Love to see the Squealers lose; sorry Steel.

There's no way Pittsburgh had the team to contend for anything but a next-round playoff loss. The fact that Pitt was able to lead in this game at any point in time really speaks more to the Jags' ability to lose in the next round.

BTW, if the Steelers do nothing more than cut Anthony Smith this offseason, I'll consider it a success.

GoReds33
01-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Terrific game! Jacksonville looked like they would give it up for a while. They defenitly have a good team. Pittsburg looked terrible early, but finally showed up in the second half. A hard fought win by Jacksonville. I have my doubts about weather or not they can beat New England, or Indy next week.

WMR
01-05-2008, 11:48 PM
There's no way Pittsburgh had the team to contend for anything but a next-round playoff loss. The fact that Pitt was able to lead in this game at any point in time really speaks more to the Jags' ability to lose in the next round.

BTW, if the Steelers do nothing more than cut Anthony Smith this offseason, I'll consider it a success.

You're rooting for a class franchise; as much as I despise the Steelers, there's no disputing that fact, my friend.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I doubt they can beat New England, either, but they have a better shot than the Ravens or Eagles did and they darn near got 'em.

New England beat Indy and Dallas this year. The other games weren't so tough.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Spot on. Tonight's game demonstrated all the faults the Steelers have. Some times they could hide them, but you face a better team, it's very hard to do that for 60 minutes.

Yep. The Steelers weren't able to cover kickoffs the entire season. The ENTIRE season. That has to change. Their offensive play calling when trying to hold a lead late is abyssmal. Ditto for their defensive play calling when trying to protect a lead late in the game. Don't even get me started on the offensive line, which will get worse in the offseason.

Overall though, I will take a 10-6 season and the playoffs with a first year coach and look forward to next year.

Hey, I kinda' gave Pitt a pass for about the next decade because of the Super Bowl win. But right now, I see a team that has to almost entirely rebuild their offensive line, find something resembling quality from a Safety who isn't named Troy, and will need to find a receiver to replace Ward long-term. And Pittsburgh needs to do all of that while also finding players smart enough to play a disciplined game sans stupid penalties.

Tall order.

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
You're rooting for a class franchise; as much as I despise the Steelers, there's no disputing that fact, my friend.

My hatred stems from jealousy no doubt.

The Bengals have had, what- 8 winning seasons in 40 years of football?

What's frustrating for me is that the Vikings can put togther a defensive line like they have in what seems like a year but the Bengals can't be ranked against the run since Forrest Gregg was here.

If Leonard Nimoy still had his old show, we'd be going in search of a defense for the Bengals.

SteelSD
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Steel- you are right about the calls.

But good heavens give my theory on the deal with the devil some thought: Hines Ward catches a deflected ball?

And a defensive lineman comes up with an interception at the end of the first half.

The devil might have been in play, but he was rooting for both sides. ;)

WMR
01-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Hines Ward is such a POS. My god let me get my violin to go along with the magnitude of this wussie's whining.

Hap
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Big Ben running on a 3rd and long with the game on the line???????

Dom Heffner
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
And a defensive lineman comes up with an interception at the end of the first half.

One who had been on the ground a second earlier. Good point.

But that weird field goal thing. You have to admit that's strange. I would hate to play in a stadium where one end of the field only allows for 30 yarders.

And do the Steelers have cheerleaders?

See? I need counseling.

WMR
01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Screw that, Dom. The only way you're healthy, if you consider yourself a Bengals fan, is if you absolutely detest everything about the **itsburgh Squealers.

SteelSD
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
One who had been on the ground a second earlier. Good point.

But that weird field goal thing. You have to admit that's strange. I would hate to play in a stadium where one end of the field only allows for 30 yarders.

And do the Steelers have cheerleaders?

See? I need counseling.

LOL! The really strange thing is that Jeff Reed missed only one Field Goal at Heinz field this year (the Miami game), with a 49-yarder (albeit early in the year).

Don't get me started on the cheerleaders.

Dom Heffner
01-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Screw that, Dom. The only way you're healthy, if you consider yourself a Bengals fan, is if you absolutely detest everything about the **itsburgh Squealers.

So it's normal when my blood pressure still goes through the roof when I see Bill Cowher, NFL analyst?

I hope his daughter flunks her senior year 5 times so he won't be back in football for awhile.

Dom Heffner
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Don't get me started on the cheerleaders.

I just noticed that tonight. You know, nothing wrong with the eye candy, even if they're wearing black and yellow. :)

SteelSD
01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Big Ben running on a 3rd and long with the game on the line???????

The play calling while trying to protect a lead has been awful this season. The Steelers couldn't run the whole game, but apparently, the coaching staff figured they could when the Jags were keyed up to stop the run.

The Steelers have lost so many games late this season, that I expected it. And they didn't disappoint.

Had the Steelers' coverage been something resembling decent in the first half, and if their offensive line could protect the QB in the first half, and if their offensive and defensive schemes could protect a lead at any point in time, and if their defense could not allow big plays at the worst times they'd have won this game.

But they can't, so they didn't.

WMR
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
So it's normal when my blood pressure still goes through the roof when I see Bill Cowher, NFL analyst?

I hope his daughter flunks her senior year 5 times so he won't be back in football for awhile.

YEP!!!

:thumbup:

:beerme:

:D

kaldaniels
01-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Cowher left the cupboard pretty full for Tomlin...next 2 years will begin to tell the real story on him. As a Browns fan I can't say he impressed me nor did he appear to be a disappointment. Time will tell.

pedro
01-06-2008, 02:29 AM
I have a lot of respect for the fact that Rothlesberger stood out there on the field while Garrard was being interviewed waiting to congratulate him. A lot of guys would have already been in the locker room sulking. I'm a Steeler hater from way back, but it isn't because they lack class as an organization.

GAC
01-06-2008, 04:53 AM
My hatred stems from jealousy no doubt.

One of the most right on things said on this thread. Just a simple honest acknowledgment. I'm a Browns fan, and I've said the very same thing about the Steelers.

I'm jealous that over the last 35 years of watching these teams, and it goes back to the old AFC Central with me, the Rooney family has done it right. And we're just jealous of that - Period!

I don't care if you're a Bengals or Browns fan - you have a very hard disavowing that truth. The Steelers, for the most part, have owned us.

And all the rest of this stuff - Pitt getting favorable calls from the refs, they play dirty and lack class as an organization, their players are arrogant or whiners, is nothing more then excuse making by the opposition.

Isn't it whining when you're saying those things? ;)

I didn't think Pitt had much of a chance this year WITH Willie Parker. Let alone without him. When he went down, then so did their chances of advancing very far in the post-season.

I don't know if I'm impressed with Pitt's comeback in that game yesterday as much as it's just an indication that Jacksonville got as far as they're going to get in this post-season. The Jags gave up 340 total yards, and only 43 of that was rushing. Brady or Manning are salivating. ;)

redhawkfish
01-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I dislike Belicheck as much as the next guy, but I guarantee he doesn't go into a shell on the last drive like the Steelers did! I absolutely hate when coaches play not to lose. Two straight runs and a stupid QB draw was gutless in my opinion. :thumbdown

MWM
01-06-2008, 12:24 PM
The Steelers still have a lot more bad officiating against them before they've paid their pennance for that farce of a Super Bowl they won a couple of years ago thanks to the refs.

Yachtzee
01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Okay, watching the Giant-Bucs game, I've just about had all I can of that chick driving the Cadillac talking about getting turned on by her stupid wood accents.

IslandRed
01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Tonight's game demonstrated all the faults the Steelers have. Some times they could hide them, but you face a better team, it's very hard to do that for 60 minutes.

For better or worse, it also exposed the Jaguars' faults. After running all over Pittsburgh last month, the Steelers sold out to stop the run and dared Garrard to beat them, and he almost didn't. Jacksonville's receivers aren't that great either. Defensively, they're a zone team and vulnerable if they're not getting to the quarterback, and it's no accident that Big Ben started throwing more confidently after Henderson went out.

Jacksonville can best any team in the NFL with the nine guys on the lines, and the Taylor/Drew combo can probably match the production of anyone else's RB spot except maybe San Diego's, but the other spots on the field will get them beat next week.

Dom Heffner
01-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Say goodbye to Tampa Bay, down 24-7.

pedro
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Whoever dresses Phil Simms needs to be stopped.

WMR
01-06-2008, 06:25 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Caveat Emperor
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Say goodbye to Tampa Bay, down 24-7.

Figures that good Eli would show up.

People were talking about class earlier as regarding Roethlisberger -- Eli Manning could go on to become the greatest quarterback in NFL history, and I'd still think he was a classless, spoiled brat for the stunt he pulled on draft day 2004.

Oh well. I never expected the Bucs to be in the playoffs anyway.

WMR
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Vince Young isn't a very good quarterback.

TC81190
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Vince Young isn't a very good quarterback.

Aye. That's what happens when all you learn to do in college is run when pressured.

GAC
01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
That was one boring game between SD and the Titans. I'd have to say, after watching those two AFC WC games, that neither SD or the Jags have much of a chance next weekend.

Highlifeman21
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM

I hope for his sake he doesn't pick his wardrobe.

blumj
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
That was one boring game between SD and the Titans. I'd have to say, after watching those two AFC WC games, that neither SD or the Jags have much of a chance next weekend.
The Jags impressed me yesterday. I think they have a shot. SD, not so much.

jmac
01-06-2008, 08:57 PM

This is what I posted earlier in week concerning this game :
"I reallly think SD will roll this time. Titans will probably not be able to score enough and actually they are "in" because Colts had division locked up. I was telling someone today I believe Browns-SD would have been more entertaining.
I like Jeff Fisher as a coach but they play that "grind it out" type football which I dont really care for.

Grind it out was another way of saying "boring" to me. Now, I know some like that type and that is fine.
Me, personally I like a game in the 20's anyway. Titans are the type of team that would like to run several 8-9 minute drives and win 10-3. Ball control in other words.
Also, I cant see Jags doing much if Garrard duplicates 9-21 against Pats.

GAC
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM

The only way the Jags will have a shot at NE is if they are able to run the ball effectively. If NE has an "Achille's Heel" it's their run defense.

But the Jags can't allow Brady to throw for 300 yds like Big Ben did the other day. And I don't see the Jags really being able to stop Brady from doing so.

But everyone seems to think that Jacksonville is the darkhorse in the AFC playoffs, so we'll see. But I'm still going with NE by 10. ;)

Puffy
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
What a weekend of football we have coming up. Maybe the best "top to bottom" matchups for a second round ever.

(1) Seattle at Green Bay - Favre. January in Lambeau Field. Holmgren. Hasselbeck and his "guarantee."

(2) Jacksonville at 16-0 Patroits. One of two teams that can really give the Pats fits. Run the ball, stop the run. The coldness of NE should have no bearing on the Jags with the run the ball mantra.

(3) SanDiego at Indy. SD is 3-1 in last 4 meetings with Manning and Colts. LT. Manning.

(4) NYG at Dallas. NFC East rivals. Hate each other. Giants 8-1 on road with only loss coming week 1 at Dallas. Owens a question mark. Good Eli or bad Eli. Romo.

The potential is there for a great weekend. Hopefully all 8 teams show up and give us quality games

GAC
01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Owens will most likely play according to Phillips;but he is still limping badly.

But watching Dallas play the last few weeks of the season, and that T.O.is hurt, I see the Cowboys making an early exit.

Razor Shines
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm not so sure about that. The Colts are going to have to play very well to beat the Chargers, they always play the Colts tough. They picked Manning 6 times earlier this year. I think the Colts will win but I don't think they'll walk over them.

blumj
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The Colts are going to have to play very well to beat the Chargers, they always play the Colts tough. They picked Manning 6 times earlier this year. I think the Colts will win but I don't think they'll walk over them.
Yeah, maybe so. Every team seems to have a "kryptonite team", maybe SD is Indy's.

redsfanmia
01-08-2008, 05:17 PM

How many starters were the Colts out that week? Peyton was throwing to Craphonso Thorpe and the Colts still should have won that game. If the Colts make Phillip Rivers beat them then they should roll.

Razor Shines
01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
How many starters were the Colts out that week? Peyton was throwing to Craphonso Thorpe and the Colts still should have won that game. If the Colts make Phillip Rivers beat them then they should roll.

Yeah the Colts were missing a bunch of starters, and I think the fact that they have a almost healthy team puts them over the top this week, but I don't think they'll win by more than 7-10 pts. I hope I'm wrong though.

But yeah IF they can keep LT and Michael Turner in check they'll probably win big, I just don't know if they'll be able to do that.

Cyclone792
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm going the easy way out this weekend.

All the home teams will move on, says I.

WMR
01-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Antonio Gates being OUT is absolutely huge.

BRM
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Antonio Gates being OUT is absolutely huge.

He's not listed as "out" yet is he?

WMR
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I thought it was a foregone conclusion?

Perhaps I am mistaken.

BRM
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I thought it was a foregone conclusion?

Perhaps I am mistaken.

Well, it sure seems unlikely that he'll play but Turner keeps saying that he'll be evaluated later in the week. My guess is they will list him as a game-time decision.

WMR
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
This is the best weekend of the entire year for professional football.

Razor Shines
01-10-2008, 03:06 PM

I don't know. Colts/Pats and Cowboys/Packers sounds pretty good next week, I hope we get that.

WMR
01-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't know. Colts/Pats and Cowboys/Packers sounds pretty good next week, I hope we get that.

True, true.

Puffy
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM

As a Giant fan I say "screw you hippie!"

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/Cartman.jpg

Razor Shines
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
As a Giant fan I say "screw you hippie!"

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/Cartman.jpg

Oh, that's how it is? I thought that Notre Dame fans stick together but that's cool.

I wouldn't mind Giants/Packers either. I'd love to see a Giants Colts super bowl, it'd be cool to see Peyton Vs. Eli.

BRM
01-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't mind Giants/Packers either. I'd love to see a Giants Colts super bowl, it'd be cool to see Peyton Vs. Eli.

I'd like to see the Manning's against each other in the Super Bowl as well.

WMR
01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Why would you be interested in seeing Eli turned over his big brothers lap for the mother of all spankings?

Sorry, I just can't take Eli Manning serious as a QB.

Cyclone792
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Why would you be interested in seeing Eli turned over his big brothers lap for the mother of all spankings?

Dude, I thought you recently ran out and picked up a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. IIRC, you just had to have it since your boy Eli was endorsing it.

;)

BRM
01-10-2008, 03:38 PM

You just don't like the fact that he's playing in front of your boy Lorenzen. ;)

Yachtzee
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Actually, for me the best weekend in professional football this year was Week 1, when I still had delusions that the Bengals were going to be good this year.

WMR
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Dude, I thought you recently ran out and picked up a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. IIRC, you just had to have it since your boy Eli was endorsing it.

;)

Hahahahaha!! Good memory!! I had forgotten about that! LOL

WMR
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Actually, for me the best weekend in professional football this year was Week 1, when I still had delusions that the Bengals were going to be good this year.

:redface:

WMR
01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
You just don't like the fact that he's playing in front of your boy Lorenzen. ;)

The round mound of touchdown???

If they're not going to let him play QB, they should at least stick him on the line somewhere.

BRM
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
The round mound of touchdown???

If they're not going to let him play QB, they should at least stick him on the line somewhere.

No kidding. He's a big boy.

Puffy
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh, that's how it is? I thought that Notre Dame fans stick together but that's cool.

My bad.

Highlifeman21
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
All I know is if the Pats lose on Saturday, ThatPitchIsDunn will be one upset puppy due to the fact he's got tickets to the Championship game @ Foxboro, provided the Pats make it.

Part of me wants to root for the Pats so he can go enjoy himself. The other part of me hopes the Jags win so NE can go into mourning over their beloved Pats.

I could care less who wins between Indy and SD, and I can safely say I know the other 4 teams on the other side, but couldn't tell ya who plays who. Hopefully the Cowboys have some success, so we can see more of Jessica Simpson in a Romo jersey.

Dom Heffner
01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
What's going to be frustrating for me is watching Jack Del Rio give Maurice Jones-Drew 7 carries against the Patriots, when that guy should have 20 plus touches a game.

Seriously- is there a more special, talented player than that guy right now? He caught up to that Garrard pass and was gone the moment he caught the ball.

Fred Taylor has been great, but Jones-Drew is the better talent IMHO.

RedsManRick
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Hopefully the Cowboys have some success, so we can see more of Jessica Simpson in a Romo jersey.

I want to see Packers fans in a Jessica Simpson Cowboys jersey.... now that would be good stuff.

RedsManRick
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
What's going to be frustrating for me is watching Jack Del Rio give Maurice Jones-Drew 7 carries against the Patriots, when that guy should have 20 plus touches a game.

Seriously- is there a more special, talented player than that guy right now? He caught up to that Garrard pass and was gone the moment he caught the ball.

Fred Taylor has been great, but Jones-Drew is the better talent IMHO.

The story of that game will be the Jags secondary. If they can prevent the big play, then they can keep the score close enough to continue running the ball. A Brady-Moss or two and it's over.

Dom Heffner
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
A Brady-Moss or two and it's over.

I don't know that there's anyway to stop them.

My personal feeling is that the Jags need to run the ball, eat up clock and keep it out of Brady's hands.

I'd love to say, "Stop Brady," but I'm not sure you can.

WebScorpion
01-11-2008, 09:24 AM
The story of that game will be the Jags secondary. If they can prevent the big play, then they can keep the score close enough to continue running the ball. A Brady-Moss or two and it's over.

That's really what makes the Pats so invincible this season. If you start pressuring Brady, they just keep another guy in until they've got Brady and nine blockers with Moss streaking down the field. You can triple or quadruple cover the guy and he can still out reach your entire seconday. The only way of beating that team is if either Brady or Moss is off their game somehow...somebody needs to put the evil eye on them or something. ;)

MWM
01-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I think people are overthinking this. No one is going to beat the Pats. As a matter of fact, now that it's the playoffs, I'd venture to say no one, not even the Colts, are even going to come close. I think they win the next three games in a laughing matter.

WMR
01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Well hell, why don't we just go ahead and give 'em the trophy.

MWM
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
We are having a dicussion, right? You know, offering opinions and such? That's what I thought was going on here, because all I was doing was offering an opinion. I never once suggested it was an absolute or there was no possibility of being wrong. But it's what I think is going to happen? Why you feel the need to make little comments like this in almost every thread you post in is beyond me.

redsfanmia
01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I think people are overthinking this. No one is going to beat the Pats. As a matter of fact, now that it's the playoffs, I'd venture to say no one, not even the Colts, are even going to come close. I think they win the next three games in a laughing matter.

Im a Colts fan and I am afraid your right.

IslandRed
01-11-2008, 09:31 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they win the Super Bowl but I'd be surprised if they win three laughers. They're a veteran (read: older) team and they've expended a lot of physical and mental energy to close the deal on 16-0. They were a lot less impressive in the second half of the season than the first. The bye week probably helped, though. Nonetheless, they may have been the best team in the NFL for the last two months, but not by very much.

And I wouldn't take the Colts for granted at all. That first meeting this year was very much toe-to-toe, and now that Harrison's back, Dungy thinks the Colts go into the playoffs as a better team than last year. And there's absolutely no pressure on them.

Jacksonville theoretically is poised to take advantage of the Patriot's vulnerability to the run, but I think the Pats will scheme to take that away and Garrard won't be able to make them pay for it. So tomorrow's game could get ugly.

blumj
01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Dhani Jones(NE-Jax) and Willie McGinest(Dal-NYG) are doing post-game for NFLN.

Cedric
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM

Really? I thought the Colts in 05 were an absolute lock and look what happened. Playoff football is a totally different character. I'm not sure the Patriots can stop the run enough to be considered a "lock" champion.

If Jacksonville gets up early and takes the air out of the ball it could get fun. If Indy gets up early it could get REAL fun. Both the Jaguars and Indy are built for playoff football. I would by no stretch rule them out. Even San Diego has a shot if they could somehow win this week and get Gates back for New England. They can pressure the Qb and LT can definately dominate time of possession. Norv Turner beating Indy and New England back to back seems like a no though.

I consider Peyton Manning the best Qb in football. I also think that Indy has the best depth on their offense. With their cover 2 and the ability of Sanders/Bethea to hit people I wouldn't rule anything out. One Sanders/Bethea hit and Moss could be out. One injury can turn a supposed "lock" champion into a observer like the rest of us.

Patrick Bateman
01-12-2008, 01:56 AM
I think the Colts have some chance against NE.

The Colts have a very good defense... good enough that they may be able to stop the Pats a few more times. With Harrison back, Peyton has another weapon, and if he plays to his fullest abilities, then I could conceivably see the Colts win a shoot out in the event they face-off against the Pats.

But other than the Colts, I don't think anyone really has any kind of realistic hope against the Pats.

Dom Heffner
01-12-2008, 09:50 AM

Hold out hope. The Pats were an errant timeout call away from losing to a team that was the Dolphins' only win.

Having said that, I think the Pats blow away everybody in their path lol....

WMR
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Hold out hope. The Pats were an errant timeout call away from losing to a team that was the Dolphins' only win.

Having said that, I think the Pats blow away everybody in their path lol....

"IF YOU WANNA CROWN 'EM THEN CROWN THEY ASS!!!!"

:D

Razor Shines
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM

I actually think that the Colts will play very well against the Pats. I think they'll struggle against the Chargers but still win.

Manning didn't have Harrison or Anthony Gonzales the first time they played the Pats. He also didn't have one of his best offensive linemen in Tony Ugoh. I can't remember exactly who, but I think they were missing a couple of defensive players as well. The Colts may not win but I am pretty certain that they'll play very well and the game will be close.

Dom Heffner
01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
The Colts may not win but I am pretty certain that they'll play very well and the game will be close.

Hopefully they don't get tripped up by San Diego.

IF YOU WANNA CROWN 'EM THEN CROWN THEY ASS!!!!"

The Patriots are who we thought they were. That is all.

MWM
01-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I think what will keep the Colts from potentially beating the Pats is the absence of Dwight Freeney. He was critical. If you don't get pressure on Brady, you have no chance.

MWM
01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Worst pass interference call I've ever seen in the 4th quarter against the Chargers covering Reggie Wayne. what a horrendous call. NFL officiating has gotten beyond ridiculous with their constant home town calls. And it seems like the dominant teams are always getting the benfit of every call.

That PI call is probably the second worst call I've ever seen in an NFL game next to the roughing the passer call against Justin Smith in the Tampa game last year.

Screwball
01-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'm rooting for the Colts and even I just wondered aloud just how in the hell the ref saw pass interference. That was a very poor call.

On a lighter note, I got a good chuckle out of the Colts fans booing the 14 year old girl wearing the Patriots jersey. Kinda reminded me of Philly fans throwng snowballs at Santa Claus. :lol:

Screwball
01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I can't believe what I'm seeing. Rivers AND LT are out for San Diego, and the Chargers just drove down the field like nobody's business. 5th lead change of the game after the QB sneak by Volek. Peyton now needs to lead them ~80 yards to retake the lead.

What a game.

MWM
01-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Watching the Colts defense today and it's clear their defense isn't that good. LT wasn't even a factor and the Chargers have 400 yards of offense. That defense at NE next week would get slaughtered.

Dom Heffner
01-13-2008, 04:10 PM
That defense at NE next week would get slaughtered.

If you don't punt once against Jacksonville, I'd say you won't have to punt against many teams.

I think the Packers have the best chance at stopping the Pats and that's not saying much.

Screwball
01-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Huge 3rd down stop there by the Colts. They'll have about 1:35 and 1 timeout to score the winning TD.

Screwball
01-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Ballgame. Pats-Chargers next week. I'll be rooting for the Pats, as Phillips Rivers annoys the bejeezus out of me.

WMR
01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Dang.

Puffy
01-13-2008, 04:18 PM

I thought that SD had no chance GAC???

Dom Heffner
01-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Go Giants!!!!

WMR
01-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought that SD had no chance GAC???

"IF GAC WANTS TO CROWN 'EM, THEN CROWN THEY ASS!!"

HeatherC1212
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Rats. :( I think I just became a huge Green Bay fan or Cowboys/Giants fan, LOL :laugh: I cannot STAND Philip Rivers and I'm not a Pats fan either. Time for the NFC to step up and win it all so I'm not throwing things at the TV during the Superbowl. Thank goodness I'm on vacation next week and I get to miss all the AFC/NFC championship stuff, LOL ;)

redsfanmia
01-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I am a Colts fan and I just have to say that was the worst officiated playoff game I have seen in a while. It seemed like the referees were trying to assure a Colts/Pats game next week. If I was Norv Turner I would have went off in the presser if the Colts won the game.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
:( unless the defense steps up, it's gonna be 12 years without a playoff win for my Cowboys

cincrazy
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Ballgame. Pats-Chargers next week. I'll be rooting for the Pats, as Phillips Rivers annoys the bejeezus out of me.

Rivers has a bit of an anger management problem. Someone should grab him and say, "Son, it's not a good idea to get in a screaming match with a middle-aged man that's a PAYING CUSTOMER!"

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
What the hell is Romo thinking out there?

He takes the sack when he should throw and he throws when he shouldn't. :lol:

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I think Romo is thinking about Jessica Simpson in a bikini out there.

Oxilon
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Talk about getting overstated and becoming really annoying. Romo is not doing well because he's not as good as the media makes him and played above his head all season long. It's not because he's banging Jessica Simpson.

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Looking like he should have spent more time in the film room and less time in Cancun.

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Cowbows D give Romo another chance.

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Romo can get back to his vacation. :redface:

Puffy
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Yes! Go Giants!!

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes! Go Giants!!

Congrats, Puffy, you gotta be a happy camper right now.

jimbo
01-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Did TO just flip us all off? He scratched the side of his nose facing the camera with his middle finger as he was walking off the field. At least it looked like his middle finger.

Poor Jerry looked pretty dejected on the sidelines. Great stuff.

WMR
01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Did TO just flip us all off? He scratched the side of his nose facing the camera with his middle finger as he was walking off the field. At least it looked like his middle finger.

Poor Jerry looked pretty dejected on the sidelines. Great stuff.

Bet he's already made an appointment with his plastic surgeon for 8:00 a.m. tomorrow.

WMR
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2008-01/34720028.jpg

:redface:

HumnHilghtFreel
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I know Romo is going to get the "choker" label again this long offseason, but it's unfair to put it all on his shoulders. Lots of dropped passes, bad penalties and just about everything else. The better, more disciplined team won tonight, I give them credit for that.

jmac
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Rats. :( I think I just became a huge Green Bay fan or Cowboys/Giants fan, LOL :laugh: I cannot STAND Philip Rivers and I'm not a Pats fan either. Time for the NFC to step up and win it all so I'm not throwing things at the TV during the Superbowl. Thank goodness I'm on vacation next week and I get to miss all the AFC/NFC championship stuff, LOL ;)
Okay, I missed the game today and was just wondering what Rivers did "today"?
I know he did some stuff the other day and I'm curious if he did it again or if some of you dont like him for other reasons.
If he acted like a jerk again, I say "go pats".

jmac
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I know Romo is going to get the "choker" label again this long offseason, but it's unfair to put it all on his shoulders. Lots of dropped passes, bad penalties and just about everything else. The better, more disciplined team won tonight, I give them credit for that.

Exactly, Romo made his mistakes but he was hit, hurried,knocked down plenty of times to go along with the other things as well.
Point is, lots of blame today and not just on Romo alone.

RedFanAlways1966
01-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Okay, I missed the game today and was just wondering what Rivers did "today"?
I know he did some stuff the other day and I'm curious if he did it again or if some of you dont like him for other reasons.
If he acted like a jerk again, I say "go pats".

Acted like a 12-year-old spoiled brat. Displayed serious rabbit ears and was yelling back at Indy fans who were probably yelling stuff at him. The cameras/mics caught it when he walked off the sideline to go to the locker for some medical attention during the 2nd half. Then when he came back and was on the sideline, he was still yapping at the Indy crowd and making hand gestures. None of it seemed to be obscene or anything, but very unprofessional and immature.

Yachtzee
01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Acted like a 12-year-old spoiled brat. Displayed serious rabbit ears and was yelling back at Indy fans who were probably yelling stuff at him. The cameras/mics caught it when he walked off the sideline to go to the locker for some medical attention during the 2nd half. Then when he came back and was on the sideline, he was still yapping at the Indy crowd and making hand gestures. None of it seemed to be obscene or anything, but very unprofessional and immature.

Pretty much sounds like TJ Houshmanzadeh whenever he's in Pittsburgh.

jmac
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks and that's enough for me : " Go Patriots" :)

MWM
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, Rivers is a arse. And he's not that good, either. That makes it even worse.

Yachtzee
01-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Looks like the football gods have meted out some punishment. ;)

cincrazy
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, Rivers is a arse. And he's not that good, either. That makes it even worse.

Yeah, seriously, that would be like Matt Belilse constantly running his mouth towards the opposing dugout and taunting fans, despite another stellar 5 inning, 4 run performance.

GAC
01-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Colts and Cowboys both eliminated. Hallelujah!

I didn't think the Cowboys would go far. They haven't played good ball at all towards the end of the season. And I'm glad. Not a Cowboy fan.

With LT and Rivers on the sideline Volek leads the Chargers in the 4th quarter. Nice defensive stand by the Chargers deep in their own territory at the 2 minute warning.

You can rest your players plenty now Mr. Dungy. ;)

Bip Roberts
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I wonder how Elis brother is feeling after today

Yachtzee
01-13-2008, 08:52 PM

I don't follow the Chargers much. Has Rivers been doing other stuff that makes him look bad? From what I've seen, it's quite common for NFL players to get into little woofing matches with the fans. It's normally visiting defensive players, because they like to get on the home fans when their offense is out there driving, but I've seen others get into it too. As I said before, TJ Houshmanzadeh in particular likes to engage the home fans when the Bengals are on the road, especially in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. NFL films always seems to catch him riding the fans.

Dom Heffner
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Looks like we have a Packer-Patriot Super Bowl.

GAC
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
OK. Did anyone just see the post-game interview with a crying T.O. talking about those who are putting the blame for their loss on Romo?

"That's not fair (sob sob) That's my quarterback (sniffle sniffle). That's my team."

"Leave Tony Alone!" :lol:

Yachtzee
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
OK. Did anyone just see the post-game interview with a crying T.O. talking about those who are putting the blame for their loss on Romo?

"That's not fair (sob sob) That's my quarterback (sniffle sniffle). That's my team."

Maybe he and Britney can go on that double date with Tony and Jessica now that the season's over.

GAC
01-13-2008, 09:04 PM
I gotta root for a Patriots-Packers Super Bowl. I'm really rooting for the ol' guy Favre. He's not the prettiest or most graceful QB; but the I love the guy's grit when everyone else was saying it was over for him.

But realistically I don't see anyone stopping the Pats now.

And that shot of Jerry Jones standing there with arms folded and blank look on his face is priceless.

Chip R
01-13-2008, 09:06 PM

That's pretty mature of T.O. Usually he's whining about how if he'd have been thrown the ball more often, they would have won.

UKFlounder
01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, seriously, that would be like Matt Belilse constantly running his mouth towards the opposing dugout and taunting fans, despite another stellar 5 inning, 4 run performance.

Nah- Rivers is much closer to a Harang if you're going to use Reds' pitching as an analogy - perhaps not a Cy Young/MVP type, but definitely a very good player.

Belilse is more like a Jon Kitna type.

UKFlounder
01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't follow the Chargers much. Has Rivers been doing other stuff that makes him look bad? From what I've seen, it's quite common for NFL players to get into little woofing matches with the fans. It's normally visiting defensive players, because they like to get on the home fans when their offense is out there driving, but I've seen others get into it too. As I said before, TJ Houshmanzadeh in particular likes to engage the home fans when the Bengals are on the road, especially in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. NFL films always seems to catch him riding the fans.

He apparently was cheering at the end of a game against Denver, and Champ Bailey, among other Broncos, took it as taunting Jay Cutler though Rivers said he was only cheering on his defense.

Screwball
01-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Not only does Rivers act like a punk, but he constantly has this damn scowl on his face. It's like he's always in search of the guy who just ran over his dog. Some call it being intense. I call it aggravating. Just look and act normal, dude.

cincrazy
01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Not only does Rivers act like a punk, but he constantly has this damn scowl on his face. He has his eyebrows pointed down like he's got this mammoth chip on his shoulder and he hates the world. Some call it being intense. I call it aggravating. Just look and act normal, dude.

I remember when he strolled into the Horseshoe and threw for about one billion yards on my beloved Buckeyes, I hated his cockiness, but I respected the hell out of him as a competitor. He ranks right up there with Vince Young in terms of guys that came into the Shoe with absolutely no fear in their eyes, and 100% confidence in what they were doing.

I can respect him for that, but I can't stand him, because at the pro level he's not half as good as he thinks he is.

MWM
01-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I remember when he strolled into the Horseshoe and threw for about one billion yards on my beloved Buckeyes, I hated his cockiness, but I respected the hell out of him as a competitor. He ranks right up there with Vince Young in terms of guys that came into the Shoe with absolutely no fear in their eyes, and 100% confidence in what they were doing.

I can respect him for that, but I can't stand him, because at the pro level he's not half as good as he thinks he is.

I was at that game. He didn't do much of anything for the first 3 quarters and then went off in the 4th quarter and it went to 3 OTs. Great game that should have never been a great game.

I agree that he's not near as good as he thinks is. He looked pretty bad most of this year.

Screwball
01-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Yeah I can understand that. I curse just about anything Steelers, but that isn't to say I don't respect the hell out of what they show on the field. Like Rivers, watching them succeed kinda fuels the contempt.

Cedric
01-14-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd take Philip Rivers any day of the week on my team. Has great accuracy and seems to play better in the bigger games. He played decent against New England in his first ever playoff game last year and has played two good games so far in this playoff season. Gotta consider he has played two great defenses and controlled the clock with smart decisions. I'm not sure of the stats but it just seems like Rivers is always going to keep the chains moving. That's the kind of efficient player I want running my team.

sonny
01-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Could you imagine Cowher coaching Rivers? Gawd, it would be a scream and spit fest!

traderumor
01-14-2008, 11:02 AM
I was at that game. He didn't do much of anything for the first 3 quarters and then went off in the 4th quarter and it went to 3 OTs. Great game that should have never been a great game.

I agree that he's not near as good as he thinks is. He looked pretty bad most of this year.Johnny Unitas was not as good as Rivers thinks he is ;)

As for the game, that was really an odd, intense game, and I was just a spectator with no allegiances, well except for a little chuckle at Indy's early exit, answering all the prayers and curses put forth by Browns' fans over the last two weeks.

blumj
01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Johnny Unitas was not as good as Rivers thinks he is ;)

That's a good thing, though. Annoying, but good. Tom Brady told someone he was going to the HOF back in '02. Everyone had a good laugh over that one.

GAC
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Hey! I remember that game! ;)

Tressel also started pulling his starters after the 3rd quarter because we had a huge lead. Prior to that we owned Rivers.

Yachtzee
01-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Looks like the football gods have rewarded the Pats and Giants for playing to win in Week 17. ;)

Puffy
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Go Giants!!

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
In for Brady losing to another Manning.

TeamBoone
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! I'm thrilled that the Giants won. Finally, a Superbowl with a team I actually care about.

pedro
01-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Eli played a good game today but the real stars were the Giant wide receivers and defense.

Caveat Emperor
01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
FOXBORO, Ma (AP) -

NFL Commissioner Roger Godell announced on Sunday night that the Vince Lombardi trophy would be awarded to the New England Patriots in a ceremony at Gillette Stadium on Monday. Sources close to the league offices told reporters that the league was eager to get the presentation ceremony done quickly so that attention could be returned to it's proper place: the greatness of Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.

"We're declaring the Patriots as champions now to ensure the next two weeks can be dedicated to coverage of their greatness," said a source who wished not to be named. "We just needed to make sure a team made it to Phoenix that couldn't possibly beat New England, and the Giants just happened to be our Washington Generals of choice."

The league has planned a short presentation ceremony for Monday at noon, where Patriots owner Robert Kraft will accept the Lombardi Trophy. Boston Mayor Mark Menino has announced the official victory parade will take place this Thursday with a route to be announced sometime on Tuesday.

traderumor
01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
FOXBORO, Ma (AP) -

NFL Commissioner Roger Godell announced on Sunday night that the Vince Lombardi trophy would be awarded to the New England Patriots in a ceremony at Gillette Stadium on Monday. Sources close to the league offices told reporters that the league was eager to get the presentation ceremony done quickly so that attention could be returned to it's proper place: the greatness of Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.

"We're declaring the Patriots as champions now to ensure the next two weeks can be dedicated to coverage of their greatness," said a source who wished not to be named. "We just needed to make sure a team made it to Phoenix that couldn't possibly beat New England, and the Giants just happened to be our Washington Generals of choice."

The league has planned a short presentation ceremony for Monday at noon, where Patriots owner Robert Kraft will accept the Lombardi Trophy. Boston Mayor Mark Menino has announced the official victory parade will take place this Thursday with a route to be announced sometime on Tuesday.

With Phil Simms as the MC...he was fawning over the Patsies like George Grande on a summer day in Busch Stadium watching Jim Edmonds and the Cardinals frolic around the ballpark. That was a pathetic excuse for an AFC Championship Game, and the Chargers did about as good as could be expected, absent a few Rivers forces.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Yankees vs Red Sox....the football version.

M2
01-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Watching bits of the Giants-Packers game, it once again made me long for a Super Bowl played on some frozen tundra. That's football.

KronoRed
01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Yankees vs Red Sox....the football version.

No, the Cowboys are the NFL's version of the yankees.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't like them either...

RedsBaron
01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Watching bits of the Giants-Packers game, it once again made me long for a Super Bowl played on some frozen tundra. That's football.

Yeah, but it will probably never happen.
The Packers are one of my favorite teams. I was very disappointed in yesterday's game, and in Favre's performance. I realize that Green Bay didn't have a running game yesterday, but at times Brett seemed to revert to his old "just-throw-the ball-and-see-what-happens" gunslinging days.

RichRed
01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
The Packers are one of my favorite teams. I was very disappointed in yesterday's game, and in Favre's performance. I realize that Green Bay didn't have a running game yesterday, but at times Brett seemed to revert to his old "just-throw-the ball-and-see-what-happens" gunslinging days.

I commented during the game that Favre just looked miserable out there, especially in the second half. It may sound ridiculous but I think the cold got to him. He admitted that very thing happened to him in a game against the Raiders in '93; for the first time, he just didn't want to be on the field.

Reds Freak
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Not that this is really a big deal, but has anyone else noticed that the Patriots are the only team in the league (that I have seen) who doesn't wear the "21" sticker on their helmets in honor of Sean Taylor?

It seems like the whole year Bellicheck and the Pats have found ways to give the NFL and the rest of the league the big ol middle finger. They don't seem to give two beans what anyone else is doing or saying, they are only concerned with themselves and their goals.

MWM
01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I think there becomes a point where it's just so freaking cold that it no longer favors anyone, even the Packers at Lambeau. I think that was the case here.

RedsBaron
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I commented during the game that Favre just looked miserable out there, especially in the second half. It may sound ridiculous but I think the cold got to him. He admitted that very thing happened to him in a game against the Raiders in '93; for the first time, he just didn't want to be on the field.

I agree. Closeup shots of Favre in the second half showed a QB who appeared to be miserable.
I'm a Favre fan, he's had a great career, he's overcome a lot, and his durability has been amazing (more so than Ripken's streak). All that said, Favre's appearance during yesterday's game looked more like that of Don Meredith's in the "Ice Bowl" on 12/31/67 than it did of Bart Starr.

Yachtzee
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Not that this is really a big deal, but has anyone else noticed that the Patriots are the only team in the league (that I have seen) who doesn't wear the "21" sticker on their helmets in honor of Sean Taylor?

It seems like the whole year Bellicheck and the Pats have found ways to give the NFL and the rest of the league the big ol middle finger. They don't seem to give two beans what anyone else is doing or saying, they are only concerned with themselves and their goals.

I don't think the "21" sticker was meant to be on the helmets this long. Teams just didn't take it off. I know a number of players refused to wear the "21" sticker for more than one game because they felt Sean Taylor shouldn't get more of a memorial than Pat Tillman, whose number was put on helmets for one game only.

SunDeck
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM

When I was twenty five I could ski all day at 5 degrees. Now I don't even go if it's that cold. Can't take it anymore.
I noticed the same thing about Favre and wondered if, at 38, the cold gets to him more than it does Manning.

blumj
01-21-2008, 08:06 PM

It's really not like that. They just choose to wear Marquis Hill's number on their helmets, to honor their own teammate.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58606&highlight=marquise+hill

M2
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

That's what I love about games like that. Conditions that raw can break a man, even a strong man.

GAC
01-21-2008, 09:31 PM

They "sink or swim" with Favre. They had a terrible 4th quarter yesterday. The only thing that kept them in that game was the Giant's own miscues. Those two INTs were typical Favre INTs where his head enters a "disconnect" mode, and you wonder what was he thinking??

But that is what happens when you don't have a running game.

But I thoroughly enjoyed watching that game with a wind chill of -20. Wow!