PDA

View Full Version : Joe Gibbs resigns as 'skins coach

Joseph
01-08-2008, 10:39 AM
WASHINGTON - Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday.

The Redskins said in a statement that Gibbs will remain part of the Redskins family and serve as a special adviser to owner Dan Snyder. Gibbs was to discuss his decision at a 3 p.m. news conference at Redskins Park.

The Redskins will begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

Gibbs' resignation comes after one of the best coaching performances of his career, his leadership helping the Redskins focus after the death of safety Sean Taylor on Nov. 27. Washington won its final four regular season games after Taylor's funeral, going from 5-7 to 9-7 to claim the final playoff berth in the NFC.

The emotional run ended Saturday, when the Redskins lost 35-14 at Seattle in the wild-card playoffs.

"It was the toughest (season) for me," Gibbs said Monday. "When you go through a season like that, for a while it's kind of hard to re-grasp reality."

NJReds
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm a Cowboys fan, but I tip my cap to Gibbs. A great coach. He really rallied the troops this year. I'm glad that he's going out under his terms.

macro
01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Not only did he win some Super Bowls while posting a Hall of Fame career, he threw in starting a NASCAR team and winning multiple championships in that sport as a retirement hobby. What a winner.

Strikes Out Looking
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
My sources here in DC have been telling me for years he was only in it for the $$$ Snyder threw at him.

Handofdeath
01-08-2008, 03:54 PM
My sources here in DC have been telling me for years he was only in it for the $$$ Snyder threw at him.

Whatever he was getting to work with that maniac Snyder, it wasn't enough. During his 1st run with the Redskins when they were winning Super Bowls(damn them) he had at one time the highest winning percentage of any NFL coach in history. Better than Lombardi or Madden. He still has a higher winning percentage than Tom Landry, much as it pains me to say.

Edskin
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM

I'd question your sources. The man bleeds burgandy and gold. Of course, I'm sure he enjoyed the money as well, but the man lived on a pile of money from Gibbs racing.

He poured his heart and soul into it, and my guess is that he was starting to deteriorate physically and mentally like he did the first time around. I'm also sure that dealing with the incredibly emotional and trying season this year didn't help.

My heart breaks that he's gone, but I'll never question his motives for returning. Everything that man does, he does for the right reasons.

bucksfan2
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
I'd question your sources. The man bleeds burgandy and gold. Of course, I'm sure he enjoyed the money as well, but the man lived on a pile of money from Gibbs racing.

He poured his heart and soul into it, and my guess is that he was starting to deteriorate physically and mentally like he did the first time around. I'm also sure that dealing with the incredibly emotional and trying season this year didn't help.

My heart breaks that he's gone, but I'll never question his motives for returning. Everything that man does, he does for the right reasons.

I realize that you are a skins fan but I have never like the skins. No offense. To be honest I never understood why they brought Gibbs back in the first place. He did a decent enough job as a coach but bringing in an aging coach into a team that needed rebuilding didn't make any sense to me. As a skins fan I would question if Gibbs left the team personal wise better than when he found it.

Edskin
01-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I realize that you are a skins fan but I have never like the skins. No offense. To be honest I never understood why they brought Gibbs back in the first place. He did a decent enough job as a coach but bringing in an aging coach into a team that needed rebuilding didn't make any sense to me. As a skins fan I would question if Gibbs left the team personal wise better than when he found it.

Not sure how you could question that....

Gibbs retired originally in 1992.......from 1993 until 2003, the Redskins made one playoff apperance. In the four years since his return, the Redskins made TWO playoff appearances. The second of those coming in a season in which the Redskins dealt w/ abnormal injury problems and the murder of their best player.

From a roster standpoint, the Redskins are in MUCH better shape than they were following the 2003 season. Do a google search for "Redskins 2003 roster" and then hide your eyes.

"Everything" is not fixed. If it was, the Redskins would have Super Bowl trophies.

So, in that regard, Gibbs did not "suceed" as many hoped he would.

But here is what he did do...

He restored faith and pride in a fanbase that was at an all-time low.

He went to the playoffs in two out of four years (see above)

He made some VERY good draft picks (Sean Taylor, Laron Landry, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Cooley, Carlos Rogers, etc...) and he also found some diamonds in the rough

As a GM, he stabalized the Redskins, epsecially how they approach free agency. With a few exceptions, the FA's the Redskins signed under Gibbs made sense financially and became highly productive players.

Redskins fans feel like the organization is competitive and relevant again.

It's a sad day for us fans because ultimately, we love Joe, and we wanted HIM to be the guy that eventually hoisted a trophy. But perhaps he was just the guy the organization needed to "right" so many wrongs? There is a feeling that he leaves the Redskins "fixed."

Now, whether or not someone new comes in and breaks it......that's a different thread.

rotnoid
01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
As much as I loathe the Redskins in general, as a Cowboys fan I've come to know more than I'd like about them. Edskin is right. Gibbs had done a terrific job cleaning up what was a miserable roster with an even worse cap situation. Some of the guys they signed just so Danny Boy could say he was spending money (old man Bruce Smith comes to mind) played havoc on their ability to function in the offseason. Gibbs did a lot to turn that around and was still successful in what might be considered the best conference in football-- keep in mind both wild card teams came from the East for the last 2 years.

WVPacman
01-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Skins fan here,Anybody that would even question why the Skins rehired Gibbs clearly does'nt know much about football.The guy is a proven winner!! he wins were ever he goes.He won three superbowl trophys and is in the HOF.He will for ever be known as one of the best coachs to have ever coached in the nfl.To come out of retirement and coach for four years and to make the playoffs 2 out of the four years is amazing.

The game had past up Gibbs a little and thats why that makes it that more special for Gibbs b/c he still made the playoffs twice out of four years.I would almost say that this last year was Gibbs most spectacular coaching season ever.With everything that he and those players had to go threw with all the injurys,Death of Sean Taylor and he still lead his team to the playoffs is outstanding and amazing.Gibbs is without a doubt a proven winner and a class act.Thank you Coach Gibbs!!!!

RichRed
01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
My only complaint about Gibbs is the trading away of draft picks (the T.J. Duckett & Brandon Lloyd deals come to mind) during his second tenure.

But I'll always appreciate Joe for what he's meant to the Redskins, especially how he led them on their improbable march to the playoffs this season. I understand he will stay on in some capacity as an advisor.

By all accounts, Gibbs is one of the classiest guys around. He used to frequent a sandwich shop my brother managed outside of Charlotte and he said that Gibbs was always as nice as he could be. Loved talking football with the customers and employees, even though he was fully into the racing business at the time.

Thanks for everything, Joe. I wish you all the best.

Now Mr. Snyder, would you please finally hire a real GM?

BoydsOfSummer
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I've always been a Joe Gibbs fan. I was a closet Skins fan because of him (the first time around). What little NASCAR fandom I hold is devoted to Gibbs Racing. Class guy all the way, good luck to him.

gm
01-09-2008, 12:15 AM
about a month too late for Viking's fans...

Edskin
01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
www.edkleese.blogspot.com

I wrote the following four years ago upon learning that Joe Gibbs was returning to coach the Redskins after an 11 year absence:

“The passion is back. Joe came back to restore HIS fans. He came back to restore HIS team. Check that, he came back to restore OUR team.”

Now, he’s walking away…again. This time, there will be no return.

So, the big question now becomes whether or not Joe Gibbs was a success the second time around?

If we’re talking about Super Bowl trophies, then no, Joe Gibbs did not succeed. He didn’t even win a division title. He did not come anywhere close to attaining the success on the field that he had during his first run. Perhaps some will actually remember his second stint as a failure.

I feel sorry for those people.

Context.

Everything must be taken into context.

The Redskins were an embarrassing wreck four years ago. They had made the playoffs just once in eleven seasons. Their roster was depleted, their efforts were questionable, their leadership was absent, and the fanbase was sullen, angry, and most importantly, hopeless.

And that is when great leaders step up. When all hope is lost.

The day before he arrived, the Redskins were a joke. Now, the day he leaves, the Redskins are once again a proud organization with a proud group of fans.

Honestly, with that being the case, does anything else really matter? If you had lost all hope as a fan, if the games were no longer fun… and now the excitement and passion has returned….does anything else really matter?

There are many coaches who probably could have come into Washington and turned things around on the field. Several may have won more games. But I don’t think there was anyone who could have rekindled the “Redskins Spirit” like Joe did.

Many people believe that “walking out on top” means you have to finish first. But this year, Joe showed us all what it truly means to go out a winner. Under the most adverse, unlucky, and tragic circumstances as any team in league history has ever faced, Joe rallied a team, and a fanbase to an improbable playoff run. Along the way, much healing was done for a wide array of people.

Joe Gibbs is a man of deep faith who manages to convey that faith to others without being hostile or condemning. He can show people the way without forcing them through the door. Joe Gibbs is a man of great humility; a man who blamed himself personally for every loss and never publicly criticized a player or coach, even when it was clear criticism would have been warranted.

The first time he retired, he left because he felt he was neglecting his family. He was routinely logging 18 hour days and spending the night at Redskins Park. When he came back four years ago, he thought he would be able to do it differently. In his press conference yesterday, he admitted he was unable to scale back the hours, the passion, or the stress. In the end, he felt that he once again needed to be closer to family. At 67 years old, there will not be a third tour of duty. Joe Gibbs will not be able to “save” the Redskins ever again.

As fans, all we can hope is that the foundation he laid will pave the way for a successful future. We can hope that he changed the mentality of the organization. We can hope that both Joe Gibbs the coach and Joe Gibbs the man rubbed off on everyone who remains involved with the Redskins.

Obviously, the big question swirling in Redskinsland right now completely revolves around who will take over for Gibbs. At this point, I can honestly say that I don’t really care. I am feeling so melancholy about Gibbs’ departure that it’s hard for me to focus on next season and beyond. All I know is that next year, Joe won’t be on the sidelines, and that has me feeling a bit down. I’m wondering if the wins will be as sweet, or if the losses will be as painful now that Joe has gone. What do you do when the savior leaves?

Having said that, let me add one note of caution to both the Redskins’ brass and my fellow fans: Believing that someone “in house” can come right in and pick up where Joe left off is a dangerous proposition. The Redskins should hire the best candidate for the long haul, regardless of where he may be right now. Joe was the glue that held the organization together during the darkest hours of 2007. Now, the glue is gone.

There is a sentiment to try and capture this current passion the Redskins experienced—many feel the only way to do that is to keep this core together and leave things as intact as possible. That is certainly the easiest way to go. It’s probably the safest and would give fans the most comfort headed into next year.

But remember this- there is only one Joe Gibbs. He was the right man, at the right time, in the right situation. Now, the Redskins should be focused on finding the right man for the next five to ten years, not just the comfortable choice.

Joe Gibbs made Redskins football fun again. He made it relevant again. He rekindled the spirit of a rabid fanbase. He led them through the toughest period in franchise history. He was the idol and hero of many fans who “grew up” with him during his first stint. And now, he is the idol and hero of a younger generation as well. Funny how a simple football coach can leave such a positive impact on everyone he touches.

Mysterious ways indeed.

Thanks Joe.

WebScorpion
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow. This news has really taken me through some strange emotion-charged lines of thought. First of all, let me say I really dislike the Redskins organization and have never liked a large part of the Redskins fanbase. This stems from living 20+ years in Washington, DC as a fan of another NFL franchise. The local media has shoved the Redskins down my throat for more than twenty years. Even in baseball season the TV news doesn't report all the baseball scores, but they have time to tell which local Redskin player was seen at a local eatery or shopping center. I've missed countless nationally televised Bengals games simply because they played at the same time as the Redskins. The last two years they've stopped the practice, but prior to that any game on at the same time as the Redskins was blacked out...it was maddening.

Despite all that, Joe Gibbs has always commanded my respect. I have seen so much of Joe Gibbs on TV and through the papers, etc. over the years that he's like a neighbor to me. You can tell he's a born leader...he's quick to assume responsibility and never has a bad word to say publicly about anyone in his employ. In fact, he fiercely defends his players even when they're clearly in the wrong. Any deficiency on their part is seen by him as his own failure to get through to them. He's the kind of guy people line up to work with...hell, I'd love to work with him.

This season has been remarkable for the Redskins in many ways. It looked like Joe was finally putting his stamp on the team. They were his guys and they were beginning to put a few things together, when one of their best players was tragically murdered. Now I can't begin to imagine what they have gone through to pull together as a team and miraculously make it into the playoffs. But they did it...and they did it together as a team. They needed each other for support emotionally and somehow learned or at least found a way to support each other on the field as well. I imagine some of the players were playing on tons of emotion, really at a peak of performance that they probably cannot sustain. But no matter what brought them together, they've managed to capture that elusive bond, or chemistry, that is so difficult to achieve in any team sport. It seems a real shame to break that up, but without Joe Gibbs I'm not sure it can be preserved. The emotional side of me says that it is a precious thing and I'd be tempted to let the team choose its own new leader...if they voted for Bugel(OC) or Williams(DC), I'd give it to them to see if they could continue Joe's work. But the logical side of me says the chemistry will not survive Joe's departure and they're better off blowing it up and starting with a new leader and new players...without the fresh emotional drive OR Joe Gibbs, the chemistry will be gone.

Either way, I don't see Dan Snyder doing the right thing and that is a crying shame. It would be such an uplifting story if they could find a way to stick together and persevere. A triumph of the human spirit. I don't even like the Redskins, but this team has really moved me. There is something special there that my heart says should not be abandoned...I can't imagine what it's like for them, on the inside.

Thanks Joe. For me your greatness is self evident. As a coach, a leader, and mostly as a man. I think it's demonstrated more in this team than by any of the Theismann-led or Williams-led Super Bowl teams. Cheers! :thumbup:

Edskin
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Extremely well said, Web. It's nice to see that even people who don't view the world through burgandy and gold lenses, have been touched by Gibbs.

WVPacman
01-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Wow. This news has really taken me through some strange emotion-charged lines of thought. First of all, let me say I really dislike the Redskins organization and have never liked a large part of the Redskins fanbase. This stems from living 20+ years in Washington, DC as a fan of another NFL franchise. The local media has shoved the Redskins down my throat for more than twenty years. Even in baseball season the TV news doesn't report all the baseball scores, but they have time to tell which local Redskin player was seen at a local eatery or shopping center. I've missed countless nationally televised Bengals games simply because they played at the same time as the Redskins. The last two years they've stopped the practice, but prior to that any game on at the same time as the Redskins was blacked out...it was maddening.

Despite all that, Joe Gibbs has always commanded my respect. I have seen so much of Joe Gibbs on TV and through the papers, etc. over the years that he's like a neighbor to me. You can tell he's a born leader...he's quick to assume responsibility and never has a bad word to say publicly about anyone in his employ. In fact, he fiercely defends his players even when they're clearly in the wrong. Any deficiency on their part is seen by him as his own failure to get through to them. He's the kind of guy people line up to work with...hell, I'd love to work with him.

This season has been remarkable for the Redskins in many ways. It looked like Joe was finally putting his stamp on the team. They were his guys and they were beginning to put a few things together, when one of their best players was tragically murdered. Now I can't begin to imagine what they have gone through to pull together as a team and miraculously make it into the playoffs. But they did it...and they did it together as a team. They needed each other for support emotionally and somehow learned or at least found a way to support each other on the field as well. I imagine some of the players were playing on tons of emotion, really at a peak of performance that they probably cannot sustain. But no matter what brought them together, they've managed to capture that elusive bond, or chemistry, that is so difficult to achieve in any team sport. It seems a real shame to break that up, but without Joe Gibbs I'm not sure it can be preserved. The emotional side of me says that it is a precious thing and I'd be tempted to let the team choose its own new leader...if they voted for Bugel(OC) or Williams(DC), I'd give it to them to see if they could continue Joe's work. But the logical side of me says the chemistry will not survive Joe's departure and they're better off blowing it up and starting with a new leader and new players...without the fresh emotional drive OR Joe Gibbs, the chemistry will be gone.

Either way, I don't see Dan Snyder doing the right thing and that is a crying shame. It would be such an uplifting story if they could find a way to stick together and persevere. A triumph of the human spirit. I don't even like the Redskins, but this team has really moved me. There is something special there that my heart says should not be abandoned...I can't imagine what it's like for them, on the inside.

Thanks Joe. For me your greatness is self evident. As a coach, a leader, and mostly as a man. I think it's demonstrated more in this team than by any of the Theismann-led or Williams-led Super Bowl teams. Cheers! :thumbup:

Great post web,very classy!!!