PDA

View Full Version : Interview Question

Raisor
01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm looking for some backing opinion that this is good news...

I interviewed, last week, with a huge company for a job here in Atlanta. After the interview the two managers I interviewed with told me to email HR this week to find out my status.

I received notice that the company is in a short hiring freeze that should be lifted next week and that I should get back with the HR dept at that time to find out whats what.

Now, to make myself feel better, if they weren't going to hire me, I'd think that they would have just told me that they were going another direction, right?

Anyone want to help make me feel better?

WMR
01-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Did you mention your numerous awards?

Did you include the photo of you and the Playboy bunnies in your application packet?

WMR
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Seriously, I think your instincts are right on.

If they weren't interested, they would have told you outright.

Just hang tight and don't stress over it would be my advice.

Raisor
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Raisor hearts stress

SunDeck
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I have learned through experience on both ends of this that you can't tell anything from that answer. On the upside, you are right, they didn't tell you to hit the road, but I think that's about all you can conjecture from the response.

RichRed
01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm afraid that by "short hiring freeze," what they really meant was, "You should've worn pants to the interview."

Raisor
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm afraid that by "short hiring freeze," what they really meant was, "You should've worn pants to the interview."

I knew I forgot something. I would have been ok if the managers had been ladies.

WMR
01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I knew I forgot something. I would have been ok if the managers had been ladies.
:D LMAO

WMR
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM

You would have already been promoted twice.

Unassisted
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Not sure if this will make you feel better, but that answer could mean this.

"We've offered the job to our first choice and have given that person until the first of next week to accept. If the answer is no, then you're our second choice."

Raisor
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM

"We've offered the job to our first choice and have given that person until the first of next week to accept. If the answer is no, then you're our second choice."

eep

Unassisted
01-08-2008, 05:42 PM
eepIf I'm right, at least you have a timeframe. It beats twisting in the wind and not knowing when a decision will be made.

I found out once that I was a second choice hire. The first-choice person who turned them down had another job in the same organization. She was later fired from the other job. I wonder if she regretted turning down the one I got? ;)

Hap
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
at the very least, you can tell yourself that you still have a chance

rotnoid
01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
You're probably right. I find it hard to believe there are 2 managers working together that are spineless enough to spin that kind of a story. Usually there's at least one heartless mgr in a tandem like that.

klw
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Did you snicker everytime they said the word "Duties?" That never helps.

Spring~Fields
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like they saw something of interest in you for their company.

Please tell me that you did not tell them that strike outs don't matter. ;) :p:

They are telling you to stay in contact though.

HR people are difficult to interpret, they come from another planet.

deltachi8
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Not unheard of. Sometimes we HR people try and cover our buts. BUT, it is not BAD news as you usually dont get that kind of answre if there was no interest.

And personally, as an HR Director, I take offense that we are from another planet, I mean I am from Buffalo and...um, well, ya it is kinda out there.

Raisor
01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Sounds like they saw something of interest in you for their company.

Please tell me that you did not tell them that strike outs don't matter. ;) :p:

I also told them I love the designated hitter and astro-turf.

Spring~Fields
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
And personally, as an HR Director, I take offense that we are from another planet, I mean I am from Buffalo and...um, well, ya it is kinda out there.

:eek: :devil:

Perhaps I should have said often ambiguous, witness Raisor asking for interpretation into their meaning. ;) Did they mean this or did they mean that.

Raisor
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
By the way, the wife and I are still willing to relocate to Ohio if any RZ member would want to hook us up with some jobs.

She's a Dental Assistant school graduate looking for her first DA job, while I really don't know what I really want to do, but am currently looking at the operation side in insurance.

Spring~Fields
01-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I also told them I love the designated hitter and astro-turf.

:lol:

BoydsOfSummer
01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Can we agree that a single interview is worth less than a second interview?

And that three interviews is better than two interviews?

Roy Tucker
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Sometimes answers like this mean "we don't like you for the job you interviewed for but we like you in general and are looking for a place for you". The job I got when I hired into the company I'm in was like that. Took 7 months to get hired.

From when I was in the job market last, HR departments have no compunctions about telling you "no match with us, good luck, don't call back". So I don't think they were being wienies. Believe me, they'd tell you. It's their job.

Danny Serafini
01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
In all likelihood you just got the same stock answer everyone got. It's easier to send one automatic response than to dig around and find each person's interview status and results. I think the only thing that can be read into it is that you should check again next week.

TRF
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
She's a Dental Assistant school graduate looking for her first DA job, while I really don't know what I really want to do, but am currently looking at the operation side in insurance.

you just killed my inner child.

Sack up. You know you want to be an American Gladiator.

Puffy
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Did you mention your numerous awards?

Did you include the photo of you and the Playboy bunnies in your application packet?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/raisor.jpg

Puffy
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
By the way, the wife and I are still willing to relocate to Ohio if any RZ member would want to hook us up with some jobs.

Hey - if you wanna move to Florida I need someone to clean my pool and do my yardwork.

Chip R
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Hey - if you wanna move to Florida I need someone to clean my pool and do my yardwork.

Why don't you just use your girlfriends to mow your yard?

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/cats-dogs/merino-sheep-yards.jpg

Yachtzee
01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Not unheard of. Sometimes we HR people try and cover our buts. BUT, it is not BAD news as you usually dont get that kind of answre if there was no interest.

Geez. It was a joke, Toby. Why do you have to take the fun out of everything?

http://beingamomisgreat.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/michael-scott-steve-carell.png

Yachtzee
01-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Win Ben Stein's Bunnies.

Raisor
01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Win Ben Stein's Bunnies.

On Ben Stein's best day, he's not as groovy as I am.

Raisor
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Had an interesting interview with a company with very close ties to Cincy and the Reds today. If things work out, I might get to visit ya'll regularly. I'd be based here in Atlanta, but would travel quite a lot.

Raisor
03-02-2008, 06:15 PM
UPDATE!

This company with very close ties to Cincy and the Reds is flying me up to Chicago for a final interview this Tuesday. Things are looking really good. Any prayers or even a nice thought or two would be appreciated.

GAC
03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
UPDATE!

This company with very close ties to Cincy and the Reds is flying me up to Chicago for a final interview this Tuesday. Things are looking really good. Any prayers or even a nice thought or two would be appreciated.

Good luck Phil. You're in my prayers.

Get a window seat and be sure to wear you parachute. :p:

deltachi8
03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Much luck Raisor!! Impress them with your Nobel Prizes and such.

Unassisted
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Knock 'em dead, Raisor. Show 'em how much better off they'll be with you on their team than they are without you. :D

Chip R
03-02-2008, 10:47 PM
You might want to consider wearing pants to this interview.

MaineRed
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Make sure you cross the:

"Have posted nearly 9,000 times on redszone, often about nothing"

off your resume.

Raisor
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM
You might want to consider wearing pants to this interview.

I'll have to play that by ear.

KronoRed
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Good luck Raisor :)

TRF
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
I thought SCTV was cancelled. Ah well, good luck.

RFS62
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Dazzle them with your Philness.

Good luck.

Raisor
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Things went well, until my return flight at least. 3 hour delay at O'Hare, blah.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I nailed the *7* different interviews I had yesterday (I'm going to recommend this to the CIA to replace waterboarding), though my brain was pretty much mush afterwards.

They tell me it might take up to a month to find out what's what, so that's going to be teh suck.

Chip R
03-05-2008, 01:51 PM
7 interviews? Ye gods.

Did you stop by the office on the way back and visit the girls?

TRF
03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
So when Hogan was interviewing you, did he ask if you had a preference for a new name? I like "The Raisor's Edge" myself. He's gonna cut you down to size brutha!

Ltlabner
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Things went well, until my return flight at least. 3 hour delay at O'Hare, blah.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I nailed the *7* different interviews I had yesterday (I'm going to recommend this to the CIA to replace waterboarding), though my brain was pretty much mush afterwards.

They tell me it might take up to a month to find out what's what, so that's going to be teh suck.

Dear God.

These people realize this is insurance right? Not putting a rocket into Lunar orbit circa 1969?

Raisor
03-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Dear God.

These people realize this is insurance right? Not putting a rocket into Lunar orbit circa 1969?

I don't even remember most of yesterday at this point. They turned my head to cheese!

paintmered
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM

Ironically, that's how many interviews it takes to work at the CIA.

Chip R
03-05-2008, 07:05 PM

So, you're saying that this is all a cover and Raisor's interviewing to get into the CIA?

paintmered
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
So, you're saying that this is all a cover and Raisor's interviewing to get into the CIA?

Yep. That whole "connected to the Reds" thing is just his cover so he can go clandestine. :cool:

Ltlabner
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Yep. That whole "connected to the Reds" thing is just his cover so he can go clandestine. :cool:

Well, the CIA used to protect the USofA from the "Reds". Maybe that's what he meant?

Chip R
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Way to go, paint. You just blew his cover. :thumbdown

paintmered
03-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Way to go, paint. You just blew his cover. :thumbdown

Or...I'm part of the conspiracy.

Raisor
03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Swell, 7 years undercover ruined.

GAC
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Well..... it does involve central intelligence. ;)

Roy Tucker
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I hate the interviews where you sit in the conference room and the interviewers keep coming in. Sometimes they double- and triple-team you.

All except the big boss. You always have to go to him, he never comes to you.

Raisor
03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I hate the interviews where you sit in the conference room and the interviewers keep coming in. Sometimes they double- and triple-team you.

The big boss actually took me to lunch, so at least I got a meal out of it.

Ltlabner
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM

And big corporations wonder why they are lampooned.

Serriously, if you can't guage the quality of an applicant within a few interviewers over the course of a couple of interviews, then you really shouldn't be in a management or decision making position.

Unassisted
03-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I once had a surprise when my first interview for a position was in front of a panel of 15 people. Going in, there was never any indication whatsoever from the place doing the hiring that I should expect that kind of interview. To add to the fun, each of the 15 people were from different departments and it was clear they had conflicting agendas and different expectations for the job. It was a miserable experience and I was grateful to have been eliminated from consideration shortly after the interview.

That was a few years back and I have since seen the exact same position there advertised on two different occasions since I applied.

15fan
03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Most interviews start off with question after question for the applicant. Applicant gets 5 minutes at the end to ask his/her own questions.

My strategy for interviewing applicants is to turn the process around. I spend the first part of the interview telling you about the office, what we do, what the job entails, etc. Applicant gets to ask me questions. Then we talk about the applicant's experience, qualifications, etc the rest of the way. Keeps things laid back and fosters some good dialogue, which helps both sides make a good decision.

It also gives me a flavor for how well the applicant can listen and retain information.

TRF
03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I just applied for a web developer position with the library in Cincinnati.

I hope I get an interview. The position has been open for a long time.

Roy Tucker
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
This talk " How To Pass a Silicon Valley Software Interview" was given at a conference I'm at this week (I didn't go, I'm not moving out here). Lots of software-specific stuff but also some greater truths. Thought I'd share....

http://www.scribd.com/doc/192487/How-To-Pass-a-Silicon-Valley-Software-Engineering-Interview-Paul-Tyma