PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Z wants BCS changes...

Matt700wlw
01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
http://media.www.newsrecord.org/media/storage/paper693/news/2008/01/09/Sports/Uc.President.Urges.Change.To.Bcs-3147937.shtml

For the first time ever, I'm with her....

Yikes.

SunDeck
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Finally, something less popular than Nancy.

terminator
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I always hear them say that they can't do a playoff because of the extra games that would create . . . but they have five weeks off before the major bowl games. They could easily fit in one or two rounds of playoffs. One extra round = four teams. Two extra rounds = eight teams. Either way, there would be a lot less griping about #5 or #9 not getting a chance. And it would be short enough to easily fit in the allotted time.

Chip R
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I always hear them say that they can't do a playoff because of the extra games that would create . . ..

Of course that's a load of bull. How many teams played 14 games this year? I know the University of Delaware and Appalachian State University both played 15 games.

GAC
01-09-2008, 07:11 PM
The article reveals why these college presidents are totally opposed to a playoff system, other then their resistance to change and holding on to their traditions......

BCS bowl games are big business, as the champions of BCS conferences generate up to $17 millions for their respective conferences. Money is a major issue on why it is tough to switch to a playoff system.

"There is a lot of money at stake, big television contracts

Spring~Fields
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
What would be so tough for the top four teams to have a playoff
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Winners play for the championship.

Matt700wlw
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Makes too much sense...

An 8 game playoff could work, too....there's enough big Bowl Games to make it work...those are now your playoff games...

GAC
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

I already showed you (see above).

It has nothing to do about making sense. ;)

Yachtzee
01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Makes too much sense...

An 8 game playoff could work, too....there's enough big Bowl Games to make it work...those are now your playoff games...

They could do an 8 game playoff without messing with the Bowls in their current format. You have 8 teams and 4 major bowls. Use the playoff tournament as a way of seeding the bowls so that you get a real #1 v. #2 matchup. Seed each playoff team #1-#8 based on ranking, BCS computer score, whatever, and set up the playoff bracket. Games are played at the home of the higher seeded team. Round 1 losers play a consolation game to determine who goes to the #3 and #4 bowls, Round 1 winners play at the home of the higher seeded team. Semifinal losers go to the #2 Bowl, Semifinal winners go whichever Bowl gets the National Championship that year. All other bowls outside of #1-#4 seek out teams as they currently do.

SunDeck
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Just as long as we don't have these kids play too many games. They need to get their studying time in, I am sure.

GAC
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Just as long as we don't have these kids play too many games. They need to get their studying time in, I am sure.

Yeah - they need to really cram for those Phys Ed and Aids Awareness finals. They're murder! :lol:

Spring~Fields
01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
I already showed you (see above).

It has nothing to do about making sense. ;)

:( dog gone it, I get in trouble for playing troll with a spin of humour, now I am bounced for making sense. :D

Tough crowd.