Ill go with college students as well.

*BaseClogger*
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Old people...

Stephenk29
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM

So pretty much for any teacher you have to write down the level they teach at. Silly kids.

Fullboat
10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Xenon headlamps! their glare is quite blinding.

And Weigh Stations has anybody ever see one open?Perhaps a
question for OldRightHander.

Super_Barry11
10-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Group papers in graduate school... I can write a fantastic paper by myself, thank you very much! :p:

KronoRed
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Old people...

27 is old?

I'll reiterate college kids :D

*BaseClogger*
10-08-2008, 11:42 PM
27 is old?

I'll reiterate college kids :D

Your remark sounded old--you were a college student, what, six years ago? :p:

SunDeck
10-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Living here in Bloomington, and even though I know it's largely due to their mommy's and daddy's money that my town is so livable, I'll second that one.

pahster
10-09-2008, 07:38 AM

Old people...

Undergraduates.

gonelong
10-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Actually, either way, you have to back up in an area with people and cars.

Yes and no. I can tell when I pull in if there are going to be cars or people in the area before I decide to back in. I get to determine the risk/reward of doing so before I do it. I'll take that over the time lapse between getting into your car, putting on your seatbelt, starting the car, etc. before then attempting to back out between two cars into the area that people are cars generally occupy.

If the situation doesn't allow for relatively easy backing in I'll likely pull in forward or find another spot. However, if the situation allows me to back in, I'll do so knowing that when I am set to leave I have eliminated the need to back up. Making someone else wait another few seconds while I back in is not going to be a determining factor in that decision.

I live in rural Ohio, I might have a different view on things if I lived somewhere more congested.

The two places I back into most are at work and at home. Our work parking lot isn't very busy, so this is not really an issue. At home the Mrs and Jr. know to stay off the driveway and out of the garage when someone is pulling into our drive. Even so, sometimes I pull in if the neighbor kids are out riding their bikes.

GL

HeatherC1212
10-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Rest areas that don't have signs before you get there saying that they're closed for repairs. :bang: I was driving north on I-75 two weekends ago to visit some friends of mine who are moving soon. I pulled off at a rest area for a break only to find out the restrooms were closed. Usually there are signs posted letting you know that the restroom's closed but this one had nothing. There wasn't even a warning at the actual rest area exit! I was not happy as I drove away having to figure out another place that I could stop for a restroom break. :redface:

Caveat Emperor
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I-275 to I-471.

I get on I-275 at the Milford Parkway and it starts off at 3 lanes
At Five Mile Road, it drops to 2 lanes -- instant traffic jam in the morning.
At New Richmond, it expands up to 4 lanes
Going over the bridge, it now drops to 2 lanes again -- instant traffic jam
Across the bridge in KY, it expands up to 3 lanes
Then its down to 2 lanes merging onto I-471 -- instant traffic jam
And back up to 3 lanes once you get onto 471.

Gainesville Red
10-11-2008, 06:10 PM
The fact that you always discover that you're standing in an ant pile a couple of seconds too late.

GAC
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Kids who run every bathroom in this house (we have three of them) OUT OF TOILET PAPER!! And at the most inopportune times too. :eek:

And don't make any effort to replace it. When one runs out, they just go to the next bathroom.

Dom Heffner
10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
GAC, get one of those $20 bidets on ebay. We use half the toilet paper we used to and you'll be twenty times as clean.

Ltlabner
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Thread titles on any web forum that end with an exclamation point.

TeamCasey
10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
The parking lot at Coney Island/ Riverbend.

I think drunks designed that thing.

The spaces are all diagonal, too narrow and bizarrely skewed.

OldRightHander
10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
The parking lot at Coney Island/ Riverbend.

I think drunks designed that thing.

The spaces are all diagonal, too narrow and bizarrely skewed.

I hate diagonal spaces. With my van, I like to find two spaces across from one another and pull through so I can pull out when I leave. With those angled spaces, you end up facing the wrong way when you do that.

Brutus_the_Red
10-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Yep, just plain stupidity.

I drive in rush hour traffic every day during the week. Most times I skip over to the fast lane to go with the flow of that lane's traffic, and what I like to see is that the flow be slightly faster than the other lanes. And if the flow is 55, then I'll do 55. If it's 80, then I'll do 80. I wish other people would do the same. If a person wants to go slower than the fast lane flow, get out of the fast lane. This applies to trucks as well, because they love to just camp out in the fast lane and rarely pass anybody.

On the flip side, on those rare days when the flow is moving nicely in the fast lane - and faster than the other lanes - there is no point to tail the person in front of you. If the flow is going 70 and the person in front of you is doing 70, then do 70 and get off their bumper. This is what happened this morning.

What's also frustrating is being behind a person who tails the person in front of them in rush hour traffic. Because what always happens it the person doing the tailing is constantly hitting their brakes - sometimes rather hard - and that just screws up all the traffic behind them. It's like a domino effect, one person hits their brakes so the next 10 cars hit their brakes. And it all begins because somebody is tailing somebody else. If the flow is doing 55, do 55 and give some room. There's no need to hit the gas to 65, then slam on the brakes, then hit the gas again to 65, slam on the brakes, repeat, repeat, repeat.

The only thing I can think of is people must love buying gas and paying for brake jobs, because all that does is reduce gas mileage and wear out the pads quicker.

along with this is a situation on southbound I-75 heading into downtown Dayton. It is three lanes until you get to downtown, where the left lane changes to an exit only for Route 4 north. The right lanes to continue south on 75 will be backed up through downtown, and you have the jerks who fly down the left lane to skip the traffic and then sit and wait for someone to let them in at the route 4 split.

they are just continuing the problem. it's why everything is backed up in the first place.

Rojo
10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
GAC, get one of those $20 bidets on ebay. We use half the toilet paper we used to and you'll be twenty times as clean.

What? You have one?

SunDeck
10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's how cosmopolitan I am. I just read the thing about the bidet on Ebay and thought it was some kind of an applet for bidding.

Sheesh.

Rojo
10-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Here's how cosmopolitan I am. I just read the thing about the bidet on Ebay and thought it was some kind of an applet for bidding.

Sheesh.

I was disappointed that I didn't encounter one in Europe. I had no idea you could buy one off the shelf.

Orodle
10-17-2008, 04:49 PM
"He got it , he got it"-George Grand on any above average defensive play and it drives me crazy.

TRF
10-17-2008, 04:50 PM
wal-mart.

bosses that have no idea what you do or how to manage your department.

people that don't get my "killed by bees" reference.

wal-mart.

SunDeck
10-17-2008, 08:03 PM
I was disappointed that I didn't encounter one in Europe. I had no idea you could buy one off the shelf.

I would have probably tried to drink out of the thing. :eek:

Dom Heffner
10-17-2008, 09:41 PM
What? You have one?

I have two and will be getting two more for our other bathrooms.

I'm just going to say this: once you use it, you will not want to go back to using just toilet paper.

They have ones where it warms the water, but I find that room temperature suits me just fine.

Not to sound weird, but I can't go back to not having one. You do your business, turn the bidet on, and it sprays your bottom clean. The only toilet paper I use is to dry the water.

They are easy to install- took me 15 minutes.

Home Depot has a chrome one for around $90, but the plastic ones on ebay work just fine.

My parents got one and I couldn't stop laughing at them until I tried it. Like I said, I get kinda bummed when I have to use a toilet without one.

And think how much less bacteria is in the house because your hand doesn't go anywhere near that stuff anymore. :)

SunDeck
10-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Like I said, I get kinda bummed when I have to use a toilet without one.

I cannot allow this pun to go unnoticed.
Booo!

Anyway, what do you do when you are out on the town and you have to #2?

On second thought, don't answer, Dom- I fear it involves a sink.

OldRightHander
10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Here's another one of mine from last night. I did 800 miles straight through from Akron to Ft. Valley, GA yesterday, rolling into Ft. Valley at 6:00 this morning. Anyway, what's with all the really bright headlights they're making these days? Then it seems that the people with the brightest ones are the drivers that like to match your speed and stay behind you. I found myself slowing down all night to force them to pass me.

Dom Heffner
12-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm going to get run off the board for this one, for what I am about to say is heresy, apparently, but I've been cooped up in a hospital room for the past 24 hours, and I'm not in my right mind, so hope I don't offend when I mention something that drives me crazy:

Michael Phelps.

I'm over the endorsements, the lousy acting, the touts of the world's greatest athlete ever, the "he's dating a stripper" storyline, the 10,000 calorie a day diet. And gosh, I'm over his mom, too.

I'm sorry, but I've had enough of Michael Phelps.

I'm not going to buy Rosetta Stone, a Timex, a box of cereal- anything- with this dude's picture on it.

I realize he's not a talentless hack like Joe The Plumber.

He's done something for the money, I guess, but the overexposure has reached a point with me that I'm over him.

This best athlete ever crap is ridiculous. The "No one will ever win as many gold medals as this dude" may be a true statement, but that has more to do with the way gold medals are handed out in swimming versus other sports that has just as much to do with it than anything.

How many gold medals could Rafael Nadal win this year? Oh, one? Really? You mean they don't give medals out for fastest serve from 50 feet, 70 feet, 80 feet?

Could Allen Iverson win 8 gold medals? They don't have 45 different basketball relays from which he can choose to particpate in?

The thing is, if you are going to win a lot of gold medals, odds are you are coming from just 3 fields in the Olympics: Track/Field, Gymnastics, or swimming.

It's not that these athletes are better athletes than say, tennis players or basketball players, it's just that when you are good at one particular event, you can be good at other events as well.

I'm most likely way off here, I know.

But enough is enough.

Stay tuned, I'm feeling a "Why I loathe Law and Order" rant coming on. :)

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM

They should make a Law and Order series about how I spent my day yesterday:

Law and Order: Discovery Response Unit

Use the "doink doink" sound effect each time I have to run to the copier to make sure I have sorted copies - 1 for the clerk, 1 for the file, 1 for the defense attorney.

Maybe the season finale can be a motion to compel hearing:

DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Your honor, the State has not provided necessary witness information!
PROSECUTOR: That's because this witness....is a CONFIDENTIAL INFORMANT!

(To be continued...)

Jpup
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Things that drive me crazy...

Women I work with getting by with anything they want by just saying, "I don't know how."

That would never fly for me. I just figure it out or find someone that knows to show me.

Highlifeman21
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm going to get run off the board for this one, for what I am about to say is heresy, apparently, but I've been cooped up in a hospital room for the past 24 hours, and I'm not in my right mind, so hope I don't offend when I mention something that drives me crazy:

Michael Phelps.

I'm over the endorsements, the lousy acting, the touts of the world's greatest athlete ever, the "he's dating a stripper" storyline, the 10,000 calorie a day diet. And gosh, I'm over his mom, too.

I'm not going to buy Rosetta Stone, a Timex, a box of cereal- anything- with this dude's picture on it.

He's done something for the money, I guess, but the overexposure has reached a point with me that I'm over him.

This best athlete ever crap is ridiculous. The "No one will ever win as many gold medals as this dude" may be a true statement, but that has more to do with the way gold medals are handed out in swimming versus other sports that has just as much to do with it than anything.

How many gold medals could Rafael Nadal win this year? Oh, one? Really? You mean they don't give medals out for fastest serve from 50 feet, 70 feet, 80 feet?

Could Allen Iverson win 8 gold medals? They don't have 45 different basketball relays from which he can choose to particpate in?

The thing is, if you are going to win a lot of gold medals, odds are you are coming from just 3 fields in the Olympics: Track/Field, Gymnastics, or swimming.

It's not that these athletes are better athletes than say, tennis players or basketball players, it's just that when you are good at one particular event, you can be good at other events as well.

But enough is enough.

That's a much anticipated rant for me.

I loathe Law and Order as well

I eagerly await reading that!

BRM
12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Ltlabner hasn't posted in this thread in quite some time. He must be staying home a lot these days.

Ltlabner
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Ltlabner hasn't posted in this thread in quite some time. He must be staying home a lot these days.

No....there's plenty around the house that drives me nuts too. :)

Funny you should mention it, but just yesterday something was bugging me and I thought to myself, "I should post this on the Things that Drive you Crazy thread".

Highlifeman21
12-02-2008, 04:58 PM

He's too busy making too much sense in the ORG re: Dunn.

That'll take up anyone's time, especially when the opposition continues to maintain that 2+2=5, just b/c they don't like Dunn.

Which brings me to a point for this thread.....

Things that drive me crazy?

People that continue to insist that Dunn has no value, Dunn sucks, etc....

WMR
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Anti-Dunnites

Highlifeman21
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Anti-Dunnites

Ah, I didn't know there was a term for their kind...

GAC
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Neighbors who won't control THEIR CATS!!!!

I live in the country. The neighbor, who I get along with very well, started out with just a couple outdoor cats. They are not indoor pets. I guess they are good for killing various rodents.

They only problem is that when you start with two cats, it soon blossoms into about 10 cats. And they seem to love my property.

I didn't realize it but my entrance way door to my crawl space under the house somehow got opened. Since cold weather has began the cats were in my crawl space. They shredded one section of my AC/heating duct work. Cost me about $135 to replace it.

Lately a couple of them seem to love to hang around on my back porch/door. Whenever one of us opens the back door the cats scramble in. We gotta keep the garge door closed because they get into my garbage.

Not a violent man, nor cruel to animals, but somethings gonna snap here real soon. But if I feed these cats anything it's gonna be more like a last meal. ;)

Why do people, and local authorities, feel that there has to be laws governing dogs; but cats can roam around free?

WMR
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
My dad HATES cats. He has lots of bird feeders on our farm b/c he LOVES song birds. Did I mention he's a crack shot with a rifle?

WMR
12-02-2008, 07:40 PM

I live in the country. The neighbor, who I get along with very well, started out with just a couple outdoor cats. They are not indoor pets. I guess they are good for killing various rodents.

They only problem is that when you start with two cats, it soon blossoms into about 10 cats. And they seem to love my property.

I didn't realize it but my entrance way door to my crawl space under the house somehow got opened. Since cold weather has began the cats were in my crawl space. They shredded one section of my AC/heating duct work. Cost me about $135 to replace it.

Lately a couple of them seem to love to hang around on my back porch/door. Whenever one of us opens the back door the cats scramble in. We gotta keep the garge door closed because they get into my garbage.

Not a violent man, nor cruel to animals, but somethings gonna snap here real soon. But if I feed these cats anything it's gonna be more like a last meal. ;)

Why do people, and local authorities, feel that there has to be laws governing dogs; but cats can roam around free?

I'd start with a BB gun if I was in your situation, GAC. It'll probably be enough of a deterrent for your cat problem without forcing you to 187 the felines.

GAC
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I was thinking more of a Glock while doing my Dirty Harry impersonation.

nate
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Know this about cats:

If they were bigger, they'd eat us.

WMR
12-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I was thinking more of a Glock while doing my Dirty Harry impersonation.

THAT WILL WORK ALSO!!! :lol: :laugh:

RedlegJake
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
You need to throw a fit to your city council...we have the same animal control rule, leash -yard- no roaming for cats in Saint Joseph that dogs have. We had the same problem - a call to animal control and they rounded up 4 or 5 cats. One neighbor was ticked but who cares? Keep your freakin' animal in your own yard!

BRM
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
He's too busy making too much sense in the ORG re: Dunn.

Gotta agree with you there. Pretty enjoyable reading in that thread.

Tom Servo
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM

Michael Phelps.

But enough is enough.

http://restaurantmnd.ytmnd.com/

RedFanAlways1966
12-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Two things that will get you or me a citation, but are allowed by police...

(1) UPS, Fed Ex, etc get to park in fire lanes and no-parking zones.

(2) Public buses park in the street while blocking half or most of an entire lane while the driver runs into a convenience store or fast food store to buy food or drink.

The delivery drivers should park normally. The bus drivers should not park in the street unless loading/unloading passengers at a designated bus-stop. Their employers should make this mandatory and so should the police. It causes unsafe situations for the public and is illegal. Period!

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Parents driving their kids to the school bus stop and letting them wait in the car until the bus comes.

This morning, there was a line 11 -- ELEVEN!!!! -- minivans and SUVs, all with their engines running, on a street that I have to take to get to the highway. The school bus stopped and it took close to 10 minutes for all of the kids (one per car, no carpooling here) to get out of the various cars, walk to where the bus was, get on the bus and sit down so the bus could keep going.

I get that it's cold out...but the bus comes around the same time every morning, and nobody ever died from spending 5 minutes waiting outside on a 20 degree morning as long as they were properly dressed in cold-weather attire. Instead, people would rather inconvenience everyone trying to go about their business in the morning as a school bus backs up traffic for blocks.

WMR
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Bloggers.

OldRightHander
12-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Towns without truck stops. I'm in a Wal Mart parking lot in rural PA. Wal Mart doesn't have showers. I'd like a shower.

Gainesville Red
12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Girlfriends that won't tell you what's bothering them when clearly something's bothering them.

*Where's that damn girls are evil thread when you need it?

Ltlabner
12-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Girlfriends that won't tell you what's bothering them when clearly something's bothering them.

*Where's that damn girls are evil thread when you need it?

I told my girlfriend, now wife, that if she's got something on her mind and responds with "I'm fine" when I ask her if anything is wrong, that she forefits the ability to come back later with "I'm mad because......".

I'm cool if she isn't ready to talk about whatever it is, but I've asked that she respect me enough to say, "I'm upset but I'm not ready to talk about it". I then respect her enough to let her be until she's ready to share what's on her mind.

Otherwise, I pretty much cease caring if she lies and says nothings wrong, when there is, in fact, something wrong.

Took some "training" ;) but we've got a pretty good arangement now.

I feal your pain brother.

Dom Heffner
12-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Fantasy sports "experts." I was reading one that told me to keep A-Rod in my lineup everyday. Thanks, sport, I had thoughts about playing Brandon Inge.

Dom Heffner
12-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Al Roker and in general national weather segments.

Roker is a creepy, not funny "weather" man, who just recites basic forecasts that mean nothing to anybody. Oh, it's snowing in Butte, Montana? Too bad for those folks. The rest of the viewing audience will just sit here until you get to our hometowns.

They could get rid of that segment and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

RFS62
12-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Sweet and sour kitty

Hoosier Red
12-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Parents driving their kids to the school bus stop and letting them wait in the car until the bus comes.

This morning, there was a line 11 -- ELEVEN!!!! -- minivans and SUVs, all with their engines running, on a street that I have to take to get to the highway. The school bus stopped and it took close to 10 minutes for all of the kids (one per car, no carpooling here) to get out of the various cars, walk to where the bus was, get on the bus and sit down so the bus could keep going.

I get that it's cold out...but the bus comes around the same time every morning, and nobody ever died from spending 5 minutes waiting outside on a 20 degree morning as long as they were properly dressed in cold-weather attire. Instead, people would rather inconvenience everyone trying to go about their business in the morning as a school bus backs up traffic for blocks.

I remember my hair freezing when I would rush out of the shower and to the school bus.(Don't worry I got dressed first.)

SunDeck
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Anti-Dunnites

I don't mind them too much, except when I'm following one of their buggies on a narrow, winding road.

redsbuckeye
12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Anti-Dunnites

That sounds a lot like luddites.

Rojo
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Pockets with flaps. I've always had a basic black button-up shirt with one smoke pocket on the left. I'm in the market for a new one but have had, believe it or not, a hard time finding one.

The one I was able to find, at Mervyn's gararge sale, had two pockets with flaps. I know this sounds particular but it just looks stupid. And why does anyone need these? Its not like I anticipate hanging upside down.

GAC
12-03-2008, 08:47 PM
You need to throw a fit to your city council...we have the same animal control rule, leash -yard- no roaming for cats in Saint Joseph that dogs have. We had the same problem - a call to animal control and they rounded up 4 or 5 cats. One neighbor was ticked but who cares? Keep your freakin' animal in your own yard!

I live in a rural (township) location though, so I doubt that would help.

GAC
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
And here I thought cats were smart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgFXqn68qGE

vaticanplum
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Pockets with flaps. I've always had a basic black button-up shirt with one smoke pocket on the left. I'm in the market for a new one but have had, believe it or not, a hard time finding one.

The one I was able to find, at Mervyn's gararge sale, had two pockets with flaps. I know this sounds particular but it just looks stupid. And why does anyone need these? Its not like I anticipate hanging upside down.

Pockets with flaps on jeans are designed for the buttless. And yet, despite being rather sadly buttless myself, I can't really get behind them. something about them seems tacky to me.

Can't speak to flaps on shirts though. Surely they're not meant to accentuate the manly chest area. Perhaps they're supposed to hold things? Maybe they're meant for dressed-up hikers.

paintmered
12-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I live in a rural (township) location though, so I doubt that would help.

Township trustees settle disputes like these.

OldRightHander
12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
The guy who pokes along in the middle lane and then when you finally get over to the left lane to pass him, chooses that moment to finally get over to the right lane.

LoganBuck
12-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Township trustees settle disputes like these.

Not where GAC and I live. Township trustees mow grass, and plow roads. They shoot the occasional coyote. They could care less about some rotten cats. Stray cats come and go all the time at my farm. Most of the time they settle in and then die of feline leukemia a couple years later. They are mostly feral, and don't ever get close enough for me to worry about them. They eat their share of mice, rats, starlings, and toads.

Rojo
12-03-2008, 10:06 PM
They shoot the occasional coyote.

Well, see, that there's the problem.

Rojo
12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Pockets with flaps on jeans are designed for the buttless. And yet, despite being rather sadly buttless myself, I can't really get behind them. something about them seems tacky to me.

Can't speak to flaps on shirts though. Surely they're not meant to accentuate the manly chest area. Perhaps they're supposed to hold things? Maybe they're meant for dressed-up hikers.

I guess flaps do impart a certain outdoorsy quality, but why does everyone have to be Ranger Rick these days?

Didn't know about the butt thing, now Spinal Tap makes more sense:

"Talk about mudflaps, my gal's got 'em."

LoganBuck
12-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Well, see, that there's the problem.

Coyotes eat cats, and dogs, calves, sheep etc, etc, etc. They are a problem up here. Much more so than the cats.

Emin3mShady07
12-03-2008, 10:37 PM
spelling errors, especially when discussing baseball players or other athletes. I spend time talking about Clayton Richard on another forum and it drives me absolutely crazy when someone calls him Richards

LoganBuck
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
spelling errors, especially when discussing baseball players or other athletes. I spend time talking about Clayton Richard on another forum and it drives me absolutely crazy when someone calls him Richards

You mean like Terrelle Prior, I mean Terrel Pryer, Terrele Prier, Terrelle Prior.

pahster
12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
"Walt Jockerty."

"Jerry Hairiston."

Emin3mShady07
12-03-2008, 11:14 PM
You mean like Terrelle Prior, I mean Terrel Pryer, Terrele Prier, Terrelle Prior.

:eek: Yeah pretty much :D

*BaseClogger*
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM

I just went through the recent posts by one poster--I won't name him but some of you might figure it out--and I got the following name spellings: Abreau, Jannish, Keppenger, Harriston, and Travars. Two pages of post history!

vaticanplum
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I guess flaps do impart a certain outdoorsy quality, but why does everyone have to be Ranger Rick these days?

That, I cannot tell you. It is a question rather linked to one of the great mysteries of the late 20th/early 21st centuries: cargo pants. For all the people in the world who wish to be shaped like an upside down parachute. Because, of course, all these people are stuffing their pockets full of maps. What?

I wouldn't say they drive me crazy, but they do baffle me utterly.

Cedric
12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I just went through the recent posts by one poster--I won't name him but some of you might figure it out--and I got the following name spellings: Abreau, Jannish, Keppenger, Harriston, and Travars. Two pages of post history!

Some people with incredible intelligence have learning disorders. Some of them involve spelling, writing, and reading.

I think knowledge and respect is key here. Some people don't have spell check and they are trying their best. I consider myself to be terrible with some forms of grammar but not spelling.

Caveat Emperor
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Oversized women's sunglasses.

Nothing says "sexy" quite like an accessory that transforms a normal person into a bug-eyed monster.

Ltlabner
12-04-2008, 06:04 AM

Golly...who could it be?

:p:

I think knowledge and respect is key here. Some people don't have spell check and they are trying their best. I consider myself to be terrible with some forms of grammar but not spelling.

And some people just don't care when the forum is as *important* as an internet forum.

Ltlabner
12-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Oversized women's sunglasses.

Nothing says "sexy" quite like an accessory that transforms a normal person into a bug-eyed monster.

The current oversized sunglasses remind me of the giant shades my mother wore in the 1980's.

Dom Heffner
12-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Low rise jeans. Didn't realize that's what I bought once.

I will only say this: I felt like I needed to pull my pants up the entire day.

And since the distance between the top of jeans and the crotch is 6 inches, they aren't going to stay up anytime soon.

Rojo
12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
That, I cannot tell you. It is a question rather linked to one of the great mysteries of the late 20th/early 21st centuries: cargo pants. For all the people in the world who wish to be shaped like an upside down parachute. Because, of course, all these people are stuffing their pockets full of maps. What?

I wouldn't say they drive me crazy, but they do baffle me utterly.

Funny, I thought of cargo pants after I wrote that. Hate 'em. I guess I just have a Shaker aesthetic, I don't like much rococo.

remdog
12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I've never seen anyone that looked good in cargo pants. I mean really, especially for the guys, what do ya' need all those pockets for? Other than your wallet and car keys what junk are you hauling around? Real pants have places for those---it's all ya' need. Plus they make ya' look dumpy! Unless you are dumpy; in which case ya' look super dumpy.

Rem

Dom Heffner
12-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Sports prognosticators or analysts who use various factors of false causality to predict an outcome.

You know what I'm talking about:

"The Reds are 12-4 when facing a left hander during a day game played after a night game."

This stuff drives me mad. It's as if teams aren't playing the current incarnations of each other- they are playing logos and cities, weather, yesterday, times of day.

paintmered
12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Incorrect usage of there, their and they're.

*BaseClogger*
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Golly...who could it be?

:p:

And some people just don't care when the forum is as *important* as an internet forum.

I was just kidding. I don't think less of you or anything, but I just feel you should reread what you type before you post... :)

*BaseClogger*
12-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Football analysts on ESPN overusing the term "football" when they describe a player or team. If you just listen for it, in a five minute segment they will say football team or football player more than ten times...

Rojo
12-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Football analysts on ESPN overusing the term "football" when they describe a player or team. If you just listen for it, in a five minute segment they will say football team or football player more than ten times...

God, good one. They also love to say "the National Football League".

SunDeck
12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
God, good one. They also love to say "the National Football League".

Well, they obviously have to make sure to distinguish it from the Canadian Football League. Or the European Football League.

I'll tell you what drives me crazy, referring to the last twenty yards of the field as the "red zone". What, does it take too long to say, "Inside the twenty"?

GAC
12-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Not where GAC and I live. Township trustees mow grass, and plow roads. They shoot the occasional coyote. They could care less about some rotten cats. Stray cats come and go all the time at my farm. Most of the time they settle in and then die of feline leukemia a couple years later. They are mostly feral, and don't ever get close enough for me to worry about them. They eat their share of mice, rats, starlings, and toads.

Exactly. Plus, the owner of these cats, my neighbor, is a township trustee! :p:

He's a good guy and we get along great. It's more his wife then him. Like I said - these are outdoor cats simply kept around because of their "rodent control" characteristics. We talk a lot and I've mentioned this to him. His suggestion? Anti-freeze in a dish! :eek:

I don't like cats - and they don't like me - but I don't want to do anything cruel to them.

Emin3mShady07
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Incorrect usage of there, their and they're.

I'm with you on that one, especially because it is a spelling issue:D

Dom Heffner
12-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I think it's a usage issue- you can have it spelled perfectly and use it incorrectly.

LoganBuck
12-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Exactly. Plus, the owner of these cats, my neighbor, is a township trustee! :p:

He's a good guy and we get along great. It's more his wife then him. Like I said - these are outdoor cats simply kept around because of their "rodent control" characteristics. We talk a lot and I've mentioned this to him. His suggestion? Anti-freeze in a dish! :eek:

I don't like cats - and they don't like me - but I don't want to do anything cruel to them.

Raccoon traps and Tuna.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Emin3mShady07
12-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I think it's a usage issue- you can have it spelled perfectly and use it incorrectly.

True, but I still remember first grade when we would have spelling tests and there, their, and they're would be on the test and we would have to determine the correct spelling based on a sentence that the teacher gave us. So while it is more of a usage thing, spelling is involved. regardless incorrect usage of there, their, and they're still drives me nuts.

OldRightHander
12-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Use of they where a singular pronoun is called for.

Ltlabner
12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I was just kidding. I don't think less of you or anything, but I just feel you should reread what you type before you post... :)

I do. I just don't care if things are mispelt. How about them apples? :) And most of the time I'd recoginize that a word was spelled incorrectly but have no clue what the right spelling was anyway.

I really don't care if some person(s) out in cyberspace thinks I'm a dolt because I misspell words on an internet forum. I'll likely never meet you, interact with you personally or be employed by you.

On some level, it amuses me that people will ignore the message and get hung up on syntax.

I've had people tell me it's a respect issue. Guess what...I don't respect you. How can I? I don't know you. I may respect your baseball knowledge. Or your language skills. Or your ability to analyize using numbers. But beyond that I don't know one single poster here on a personal level. You can turn a great phrase and know about VORP but still be a drunk, wife beating child molester. How do I know? So to say you "respect" a faceless person in a dumbed down version of Second Life makes no sense to me.

But ultimatley, unless it is business correspondence or personal correspondence, I just don't care if words are spelled correctly or not. My world is oriented around verbal communication anyway. That's not to say proper spelling isn't important, I'm just saying it's important in the right forum.

Somehow, I've been able to manage to keep jobs, sell lots of products and be rather successfull in my community while brazenly misspelling words with wild abandon on the interent. :D

All that said, I have started using Safari on my home PC and it has a built in spellchecker. I don't know if I'll use it, however. It's fun bugging some of you people. :p:

EDIT: Please note the liberal use of emotcons. My reply is honest, but is light hearted in nature!

Screwball
12-05-2008, 06:46 AM

"The football player helped his football team win the football game by making football plays on the football field. Football." :thumbup:

While I like Mark Schlereth, he might be the worst about this. But yeah, I thought I was the only one to notice it. Every time I mention it to somebody they look at me like I just spoke to them in Chinese.

paintmered
12-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Use of they where a singular pronoun is called for.

While use of they in a singular form is incorrect, it's less cumbersome than to use "he/she".

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2008, 07:53 AM
While use of they in a singular form is incorrect, it's less cumbersome than to use "he/she".

Law school textbooks used to go out of their way to use "she" in various nonspecific pronoun situations -- possibly out of some odd sense of political correctness.

I always found it kind of annoying.

BRM
12-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Coyotes eat cats, and dogs, calves, sheep etc, etc, etc. They are a problem up here. Much more so than the cats.

Get a llama. They will keep the coyotes away.

BRM
12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I really don't care if some person(s) out in cyberspace thinks I'm a dolt because I misspell words on an internet forum.

Oh, we think you are a dolt alright...but it has nothing to do with your spelling ability. :p:

remdog
12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I do. I just don't care if things are mispelt. How about them apples? :) And most of the time I'd recoginize that a word was spelled incorrectly but have no clue what the right spelling was anyway.

A couple of days ago I was going to comment that your spelling seems to be better of late. Seriously.

REALLY.

Rem

WMR
12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I think your "creative spelling" is awesome, Lt.

It adds a certain "flavor" to your posts.

If only you weren't an "OLD" guy, I'd think you were the product of our new-fangled school system and their "Spell it how you FEEL it should be spelled, Johnny" methodology.

TRF
12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
programming.

programming drives me insane.

especially when something is supposed TO FREAKING WORK AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN HACKING AWAY AT CODE FOR TWO STINKING WEEKS!!!!

Ltlabner
12-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, we think you are a dolt alright...but it has nothing to do with your spelling ability. :p:

I did open the door wide open on that, didn't I?

A couple of days ago I was going to comment that your spelling seems to be better of late. Seriously.

REALLY.

Rem

I appreicate it Rem, but unfortunatley, that's the Safari talking. :laugh:

I think your "creative spelling" is awesome, Lt.

It adds a certain "flavor" to your posts.

If only you weren't an "OLD" guy, I'd think you were the product of our new-fangled school system and their "Spell it how you FEEL it should be spelled, Johnny" methodology.

I don't remember, but wasn't phonics pushed bigtime in the mid 1970's/early 80's? Maybe I'm making that up. But that's when I would have been in elementry school.

Phonics was just the first wave of "spell it however it feels right".

I'm a big phan of Phonics!

HeatherC1212
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I hate getting a headache in the middle of the workday. I have one right now now and I'm stuck at work for three more hours. :(

TeamMorris
12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
People who tell a story about something that happened forgetting that you were there and over exadurating about it.

Rojo
12-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Well, they obviously have to make sure to distinguish it from the Canadian Football League. Or the European Football League.

I'll tell you what drives me crazy, referring to the last twenty yards of the field as the "red zone". What, does it take too long to say, "Inside the twenty"?

How about "weapons"? They all say the quarterback "has a lot of weapons", meaning, apparently, that they have 2 or 3 receivers, a tight end and a running back -- like every football team.

SunDeck
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
How about "weapons"? They all say the quarterback "has a lot of weapons", meaning, apparently, that they have 2 or 3 receivers, a tight end and a running back -- like every football team.

Or maybe Plaxico Burress. He's got some weapons, I hear.

vaticanplum
12-05-2008, 07:19 PM

The trick is rearranging the sentence so that a pronoun is not needed. You do end up with a lot of passive voice crap, but it saves a bit of awkwardness.

This is part of my job. And I enjoy it far more than I should.

Rojo
12-05-2008, 08:06 PM
The trick is rearranging the sentence so that a pronoun is not needed. You do end up with a lot of passive voice crap, but it saves a bit of awkwardness.

Or subsitute a non-pronoun like "the reader....", "the observer...." etc....

Falls City Beer
12-05-2008, 08:56 PM

Hell with that. "He" baby. It was good enough for Pope and Addison, it's good enough for me.

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Here's a new one I hate - self-swipe credit card pads.

I tried to hand my card to the cashier at UDF the other night and he just, wordlessly, pointed to the self-swipe pad. So I had to hit the credit button, swipe my card, enter for the amount....

Why are they paying a cashier if I have to do all the typing and swiping myself?

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM

I tried to hand my card to the cashier at UDF the other night and he just, wordlessly, pointed to the self-swipe pad. So I had to hit the credit button, swipe my card, enter for the amount....

Why are they paying a cashier if I have to do all the typing and swiping myself?

Tried using one of those tonight and the screen was broken. How do I know I entered my PIN correctly if the screen is unreadable? How do I know I didn't just authorize the payment of a big screen TV?

GAC
12-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Tried using one of those tonight and the screen was broken. How do I know I entered my PIN correctly if the screen is unreadable? How do I know I didn't just authorize the payment of a big screen TV?

Don't you immediately get a receipt that lists your purchases for that transaction? :p:

GAC
12-06-2008, 02:59 AM
My parents use to go nuts when any of us kids used "ain't".

*BaseClogger*
12-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Don't you immediately get a receipt that lists your purchases for that transaction? :p:

Sure, but that would have been a pain in the butt... ;)

GAC
12-06-2008, 04:08 AM
As I sit here performing my weekly task of paying bills and balancing the check book, here is one thing that really bugs me, and my cries seem to fall on deaf ears when it comes to my wife.... whipping out the debit card and making a purchase(s) without any knowledge at all, and never making the effort to want to know, what the balance is in the check book (account).

It seems her attitude is that of people who avoid going to the doctor because they're afraid of what they might discover.

SunDeck
12-06-2008, 06:22 AM

And get this, most of the stupid things are made for right handers. So, not only am I annoyed that I have to use the stupid thing, but I also have to do this goofy dance with the stylus to keep the cord from getting in my way when I sign.

Dom Heffner
12-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Or let logic bow to usage and just use "they."

It sounds better than he/she, and nobody really cares, other than the grammar police.

OldRightHander
12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Or let logic bow to usage and just use "they."

It sounds better than he/she, and nobody really cares, other than the grammar police.

I just use "he". That's the way I was taught growing up and I'm an incurable curmudgeon. I'm not about to change now.

LoganBuck
12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Waiting rooms in service departments of car dealerships. Typically there is little thought given to creature comfort, and there is a wide range of ages. From little kids to old people. Old people are the worst particularly old ladies in pairs. Today I listened to two old ladies, talk about their new hips, their pills, their husband's pills, their neighbor's pills, etc etc. I got up and walked out to the show room. One of the salesmen was about to accost me, and I explained what I was doing. He said it happens all the time, "Chatty Cathys drive a lot of people nuts back there."

Emin3mShady07
12-09-2008, 01:21 AM
When a coach or analyst says a guy is giving or should be giving 110%. If you gave 100% then you would die. Period. End of story. The only way this is possible is if you were a conjoined twin and you took 10% of his heart or liver away when you died.

GAC
12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Male supervisors at work, and we got a couple of them, who seem to be going through some sort of mid-life crisis, and think they are going to make time with younger female workers by showing favoritism in giving them cushy job assignments and screwing over other workers. It's gotten laughable.

Hey! You're getting old, you're balding, and have started to develop a nice paunch. Do you actually think you're going to make time with "Little Miss Dangerous", or that she just isn't using you? ;)

Ltlabner
12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Crap-hole hotels in small towns where there's no other options.

Especially when they are right next to a major highway and a train line.

Ltlabner
12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Whopper Virgin commercials.

Commercials for the Mama Mia DVD.

Yachtzee
12-10-2008, 10:14 PM

And here I spent the better part of a year on Law Review trying to eradicate passive voice from various articles we were publishing. On the other hand, when I lived in Austria, my friends and I perfected our understanding of passive voice in German by speaking in nothing but. Drove everyone else insane when they heard "Would another beer be wanted?" "Yes, if it is bought, it will be drunk." "But first, the 'flowers must be watered.'"

vaticanplum
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
And here I spent the better part of a year on Law Review trying to eradicate passive voice from various articles we were publishing. On the other hand, when I lived in Austria, my friends and I perfected our understanding of passive voice in German by speaking in nothing but. Drove everyone else insane when they heard "Would another beer be wanted?" "Yes, if it is bought, it will be drunk." "But first, the 'flowers must be watered.'"

:lol:

I think active v. passive voice is very profession-specific. I make my fake living by adjusting to different standards. Once you've got the gist of any given one, you're fine.

I always thought the law profession was built on passive voice though. Shows you how much I know. What's the problem with German though, was a subject + verb just too much work? (I don't know German, except some song about colors.)

paintmered
12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I live in the world of technical writing. The powers that be will smack me upside the head if I try to publish a paper containing any passive voice.

Grammar Girl and I get along quite well. http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

Yachtzee
12-10-2008, 11:55 PM
:lol:

I think active v. passive voice is very profession-specific. I make my fake living by adjusting to different standards. Once you've got the gist of any given one, you're fine.

I always thought the law profession was built on passive voice though. Shows you how much I know. What's the problem with German though, was a subject + verb just too much work? (I don't know German, except some song about colors.)

I agree. Passive voice is very common in IT and no one seems to mind. The law profession requires a lot of reading and writing and so passive voice becomes a pet peeve for many.

A lot of attorneys write in passive voice, which is why legal writing professors and law review editors seek to eradicate it, along with other bits of legalese that are confusing and difficult to read. You hear judges gripe about it a lot too because they have to read it in briefs in motions all the time. But the worst place to find passive voice is in a contract. The phrase "All work must be completed by December 31, 2008" may seem innocuous. But then you ask, who must complete the work? It doesn't say.

Germans love to get funky with their sentence structure. It certainly makes German literature very interesting. :)

Dom Heffner
12-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I like passive voice when giving feedback to my employees.

Sounds much less attacking and personal.

However, in literature or leisure reading, I cannot stand it.

Ltlabner
12-11-2008, 03:20 PM
People who smack their lips constantly and loudly. For the love of God, knock it off.

The guy who reads the copy on the Moe's commercials on 700wlw. He does many of the voice overs and is horrible. He tries to effect different accents and typically has a breathy over emphasized enunciation that drives me bananas.

Matt....you gotta do something about this now that you a radio superstar.

Ltlabner
12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
It's been said, many times, many ways, but weathermen & women who find orgasmic pleasure from hysterically whipping up a frenzy over a dusting of snow.

OldRightHander
12-17-2008, 02:43 PM
black ice

Rojo
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
It's been said, many times, many ways, but weathermen & women who find orgasmic pleasure from hysterically whipping up a frenzy over a dusting of snow.

In LA, we used to get a kick out of "rain pounds the Southland".

remdog
12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
In LA, we used to get a kick out of "rain pounds the Southland".

Well, it's been poundin' all day. :eek:

Rem

Ltlabner
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Portsmouth, Ohio.

Redhook
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
The parking lot at The Spring House. It's always full. Every day of the week. How is that so?

Danny Serafini
12-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Portsmouth, Ohio.

Former home of the Detroit Lions. That may explain a few things.

BRM
12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
black ice

You don't like AC/DC?

Highlifeman21
12-19-2008, 09:45 AM
The parking lot at The Spring House. It's always full. Every day of the week. How is that so?

It's pretty big inside there. Lotta various rooms.

They do some serious lunch business, that's for sure.

Roy Tucker
12-19-2008, 10:35 AM

You talking about the Silver Spring House on Kemper?

I live a couple miles from it and I've wondered about that myself. We've been to the restaurant a few times and its perfectly fine, but I don't get the big crowds. I always say they must be running a dice game or something.

OldRightHander
12-19-2008, 12:16 PM
You don't like AC/DC?

Not particularly.

I had a pretty harrowing experience with some black ice the other night just north of Piqua. The road was clear and the next thing I knew, I was going into the other lane. I just hit a patch of the stuff and slid over a whole lane and almost onto the shoulder.

Dom Heffner
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Here's a few things I hear about every week or so that drive me crazy:

People who insist that it's better to leave your thermostat on all day because it takes more energy to cool or heat your house when you come home than it does to maintain the same temperature all day. This could not be more wrong, provided your heating and cooling system was manufactured within the last few decades.

Look- if I leave it off, I'm saving money, and if I turn it on, I'm spending it. There is no way, no how, that the 15 minutes it takes for the house to go from 70 to 74 degrees upon my return home costs more than letting the dang thing run all day.

They've studied this, it's been proven- if you leave it off, you save. End of story. If you are one of those people propagating this myth, you should be sentenced to 1 year of watching "Superstars of Dance."

Also- this recent idea that hunger pains can sometimes mean your thirsty.

Sorry, but when my stomach growls, it means I'm wanting food. Water can surely quiet hunger pains, but not for any amount of time- at least for me, anyway.

OldRightHander
01-28-2009, 11:15 PM
The imbeciles who think they can drive as fast as they want to in snow and ice because they have a four wheel drive vehicle. Enjoy your time in the ditch, morons.

Yachtzee
01-29-2009, 08:35 AM
The imbeciles who think they can drive as fast as they want to in snow and ice because they have a four wheel drive vehicle. Enjoy your time in the ditch, morons.

Yesterday I had to deal with the crazy truck drivers. No offense, but some of your brethren in the semis are absolutely insane in bad weather. Yesterday my county declared a snow emergency, no "non-essential" driving. I had to go down to the courthouse because of the nature of my work and could tell that they weren't even plowing the roads. One part of the expressway was just snow on top of a sheet of ice. People are driving slow and giving each other a wide berth because it's really bad out there. Suddenly this bozo in a tanker truck comes flying through, weaving in and out between the cars at about 50-60 mph (everyone else is going about 20). I thought for sure he was going to jackknife. And he wasn't the only one. I going the other way, i had two semis go flying past me and I had to do everything I could to stay on the road because the wind and spray they caused was pushing my car around. Guys like that get people killed.

Caveat Emperor
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Yesterday I had to deal with the crazy truck drivers. No offense, but some of your brethren in the semis are absolutely insane in bad weather. Yesterday my county declared a snow emergency, no "non-essential" driving. I had to go down to the courthouse because of the nature of my work and could tell that they weren't even plowing the roads. One part of the expressway was just snow on top of a sheet of ice. People are driving slow and giving each other a wide berth because it's really bad out there. Suddenly this bozo in a tanker truck comes flying through, weaving in and out between the cars at about 50-60 mph (everyone else is going about 20). I thought for sure he was going to jackknife. And he wasn't the only one. I going the other way, i had two semis go flying past me and I had to do everything I could to stay on the road because the wind and spray they caused was pushing my car around. Guys like that get people killed.

I had the exact same experience the last two days -- people driving at a responsible speed and trucks just flying through traffic. Being weighed down helps in snow, but it doesn't do ANY good when ice is on the roads.

On 275, traffic was moving in two lanes on a three lane road -- mostly because there were two "grooves" where people had been driving on either side of the interstate and the middle was still snow covered. I watched a truck come charging up the middle and split the two cars, nearly running both of them off the road in an attempt to go faster than the 35-45 mph that everyone was driving.

With the similar preface of no offense to you, ORH -- but truckers are among the worst offenders for bad snow driving that I've seen. I get that, for them, time is truly money -- but there are lives at stake and, from a pragmatic sense, a wreck involving a truck is exponentially more difficult to clean up than a wreck involving a Camry.

gonelong
01-29-2009, 02:33 PM
This <varying degrees of tragedy> really puts things into perspective.

GL

OldRightHander
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
The people in semis drive me nuts when there is snow, and it's because a lot of them think that with the heavier vehicle they are better off than those of us in smaller vehicles. That is true to a small degree when there's just snow, but these guys just need to slow down. I had people passing me like crazy the other night and then I would see them off the road a few miles later. I saw a Swift truck in the median near Terre Haute. The idiot had blown past me 20 miles earlier.

LoganBuck
01-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Here's a few things I hear about every week or so that drive me crazy:

People who insist that it's better to leave your thermostat on all day because it takes more energy to cool or heat your house when you come home than it does to maintain the same temperature all day. This could not be more wrong, provided your heating and cooling system was manufactured within the last few decades.

Look- if I leave it off, I'm saving money, and if I turn it on, I'm spending it. There is no way, no how, that the 15 minutes it takes for the house to go from 70 to 74 degrees upon my return home costs more than letting the dang thing run all day.

They've studied this, it's been proven- if you leave it off, you save. End of story. If you are one of those people propagating this myth, you should be sentenced to 1 year of watching "Superstars of Dance."

I agree on the cooling factor, no need to cool when nobody is home.

Heating can be a different matter, depending on square footage, age of the furnace, the age of the house, insulation rating, quality of windows, preventative weather proofing, wind exposure, and external temperatures. I don't suggest keeping it cranked, but have a programmable thermostat and dial it back during the day. Why do you keep your house at 74?! Are you a nudist?

I keep mine set on 68.5 during the winter.

GAC
01-29-2009, 08:17 PM

Yep. One went in the ditch yesterday because even though I was in the right (slow) lane, and it was near blizzard conditions with a white out and blowing snow, they were riding my butt. I hit a huge pile of drifted snow over the road and hung on for dear life.

I made it...... they didn't. Saw them in my mirror going sideways. :cool:

And I really don't feel sorry for these people one bit.

SunDeck
01-29-2009, 08:54 PM
The people in semis drive me nuts when there is snow, and it's because a lot of them think that with the heavier vehicle they are better off than those of us in smaller vehicles. That is true to a small degree when there's just snow, but these guys just need to slow down. I had people passing me like crazy the other night and then I would see them off the road a few miles later. I saw a Swift truck in the median near Terre Haute. The idiot had blown past me 20 miles earlier.

I was on the tailboard of a 90,000 pound fire engine that did a 360 after hitting a patch of ice. In retrospect, it was kind of fun. At the time, I screamed like a little girl.

Dom Heffner
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Why do you keep your house at 74?! Are you a nudist?

I was using 74 as an example, though where I live is probably the nudist capital of the world. One day when I was delivering a policy to a customer, she answered the door topless. There's also a 5 star nudist resort across from my office, where the nudists and swingers are engaged in a bit of a political battle, and it gives me a big kick to watch from afar.

Anyhoo- I agree with you to some extent on heating, though in a modern home, studies have shown it's cheaper to leave it off.

The expense comes from the heating/cooling unit trying to maintain a temperature versus what's outside. To do that for 8 hours is more expensive than leaving the thing off and turning it on when you come home.

People keep talking about the system "working harder," but it only blows at one temperature. It isn't working any harder, it just blows at the same temperature until the room is a certain temperature. It takes a few minutes for a modern home to warm up or cool 10 degrees, but if you try and maintin a certain temperature for hours at a time, the thing will run a lot because it will constantly try to maintain the setting.

You simply cannot compare 8 hours of trying to maintain the same temp to your heating and cooling system running for 10-15 minutes to bring the house back to the temp you want.

Now if you have a very old system, things could be different.

SunDeck
01-30-2009, 08:58 AM
I was using 74 as an example, though where I live is probably the nudist capital of the world. One day when I was delivering a policy to a customer, she answered the door topless.

Hence the advantage of delivering the policy in person, rather than via the mail.
Except that nudity is not always pretty.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/there_s_something_about_mary/lin_shaye/something1.jpg

Dom Heffner
01-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Hence the advantage of delivering the policy in person, rather than via the mail.
Except that nudity is not always pretty.

I'm just going to say this: You are correct on the last point.

Rojo
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's one I rediscovered yesterday: the punter.

Ya' know, you're throwing the pigskin around and that one guy (usually the weinie-armed one) decides he wants to punt it. It usually goes off the side of his foot at a 20 degree angle into the street or a parked-car or somebody's crotch.

Ok, punters, I know you're out there. Fess up!

Yachtzee
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Ya' know, you're throwing the pigskin around and that one guy (usually the weinie-armed one) decides he wants to punt it. It usually goes off the side of his foot at a 20 degree angle into the street or a parked-car or somebody's crotch.

Having been a soccer player, I was actually good at kicking a football. I got excellent hangtime on my punts and hit a 45 yard field goal in gym class. I even won a contest held by our gym teacher by kicking a football from the baseline on a basketball court into the opposite hoop. That being said, I would rarely kick the ball when we're just tossing the ball around. It's too much of a pain to chase it if you shank it. We had a rule: if you kick it, you chase it.

Rojo
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Having been a soccer player, I was actually good at kicking a football. I got excellent hangtime on my punts and hit a 45 yard field goal in gym class. I even won a contest held by our gym teacher by kicking a football from the baseline on a basketball court into the opposite hoop. That being said, I would rarely kick the ball when we're just tossing the ball around. It's too much of a pain to chase it if you shank it. We had a rule: if you kick it, you chase it.

I'd make an exception for the rare person who can actually punt. Most can't, its just an outbreak of football ADD.

Strikes Out Looking
02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I was using 74 as an example, though where I live is probably the nudist capital of the world. One day when I was delivering a policy to a customer, she answered the door topless. There's also a 5 star nudist resort across from my office, where the nudists and swingers are engaged in a bit of a political battle, and it gives me a big kick to watch from afar.

Anyhoo- I agree with you to some extent on heating, though in a modern home, studies have shown it's cheaper to leave it off.

The expense comes from the heating/cooling unit trying to maintain a temperature versus what's outside. To do that for 8 hours is more expensive than leaving the thing off and turning it on when you come home.

People keep talking about the system "working harder," but it only blows at one temperature. It isn't working any harder, it just blows at the same temperature until the room is a certain temperature. It takes a few minutes for a modern home to warm up or cool 10 degrees, but if you try and maintin a certain temperature for hours at a time, the thing will run a lot because it will constantly try to maintain the setting.

You simply cannot compare 8 hours of trying to maintain the same temp to your heating and cooling system running for 10-15 minutes to bring the house back to the temp you want.

Now if you have a very old system, things could be different.

One word-programmablethermostats

Danny Serafini
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM

I'll admit it, I was that guy. I was even worse than that guy, because I'd take off my shoe and sock and punt barefoot in the belief that it may get me a couple of extra yards. I'll take my much deserved mocking now. :D

SunDeck
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM

I also was a soccer player. We used to tee balls up on the 40 yard line and knock them through the uprights (yes, 70 yard field goals) easily. The FB coach asked us to try field goals, but all of us kept drilling the ball into the backs of the offensive line. It's pretty hard to get a ball up quickly and carry long.

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I read this on Urban Dictionary today and it gave me a laugh because this is me:

VOCD
February 1
"Volume Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder"
Function: Noun

A psychoneurotic disorder in which the television viewer is beset with obsessions or compulsions or both to adjust the volume on the television to a "perfect" number, such as 15, 20, 25, etc. and suffers extreme anxiety or depression through failure to adjust the volume or witnessing an "imperfect" number (9, 16, 31).
Joe has VOCD; he must adjust the volume on any television in which it is not set to a perfect number.

paintmered
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I read this on Urban Dictionary today and it gave me a laugh because this is me:

I'm right there with you. My world is not right unless my TV volume is set to a multiple of 5.

HeatherC1212
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the weather folks getting their forecasts wrong today. I now have to drive home from work in a blizzard because they got not only the amount wrong but the timing of the snow wrong too. Lovely. :eek:

Ltlabner
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the weather folks getting their forecasts wrong today. I now have to drive home from work in a blizzard because they got not only the amount wrong but the timing of the snow wrong too. Lovely. :eek:

Forecasting weather is always dodgy but they haven't seemed to get much right this winter.

Highlifeman21
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Damn, I have that too... I do the same thing...

OldRightHander
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty similar with the tv volume, but with me it's even numbers and it's just about anything that can be set with a number. The tv volume is always an even number, the thermostat is always an even number, etc. Ever since I was a kid I've always had something against odd numbers. I guess that just makes me kind of odd.

Dom Heffner
02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh gosh. I have one tv that must be on 30. Wow, I drive someone crazy. :)

Well, I'm over that, on to other people.

People who preach old wives tales to pregnant women. My lovely little lady has been told to not take baths, not let the cats near our baby when he comes, that girls suck the beauty from their mother while boys enhance it.

Just weird behavior around her in general.

There was an owner of a restaurant nearby here that started telling her how much she would be "spotting." This was a guy, and it just seemed inappropriate to be talking about this sort of thing with my lady while we were eating dinner.

I could go on and on with the weird stuff people have just walked up to us and said.

One guy told us to stock on up some kind of Gerber oatmeal because it was the only thing that made babies sleep through the night. It was rare, though, he said, so we better buy each and every piece they have in stock should we run into it.

I go to the grocery store and they have tons of it in stock.

Surely I can't be the only person to go through this.

LoganBuck
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh gosh. I have one tv that must be on 30. Wow, I drive someone crazy. :)

Well, I'm over that, on to other people.

People who preach old wives tales to pregnant women. My lovely little lady has been told to not take baths, not let the cats near our baby when he comes, that girls suck the beauty from their mother while boys enhance it.

Just weird behavior around her in general.

There was an owner of a restaurant nearby here that started telling her how much she would be "spotting." This was a guy, and it just seemed inappropriate to be talking about this sort of thing with my lady while we were eating dinner.

I could go on and on with the weird stuff people have just walked up to us and said.

One guy told us to stock on up some kind of Gerber oatmeal because it was the only thing that made babies sleep through the night. It was rare, though, he said, so we better buy each and every piece they have in stock should we run into it.

I go to the grocery store and they have tons of it in stock.

Surely I can't be the only person to go through this.

Wait until the kid is born, and then strangers think they can touch the kid. It got to the point that if we went shopping, I would take the stroller, because no one would dare screw with my kid, if I was holding the stroller. My wife on the other hand, would have old ladies, and crazy people swarming to touch the kids.

The one that ticked me off the most, was people that would try to have the kids grab their finger. Babies immediately put their hands in their mouths. If I wanted you to touch my kid I would have him wear a tshirt that said, "hey look I am a petri dish."

Red in Chicago
02-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm pretty similar with the tv volume, but with me it's even numbers and it's just about anything that can be set with a number. The tv volume is always an even number, the thermostat is always an even number, etc. Ever since I was a kid I've always had something against odd numbers. I guess that just makes me kind of odd.

Same with me. Thermostat and tv volume must be on an even number. If I'm in a hurry trying to increase the volume on the tv, then start to set the remote down and see it's on an odd number, I have to pick up the remote again and increase it that extra notch. It's completely stupid and I just don't know why I feel the need to do this. At least now I've got a name for it, other than crazy;)

02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
I can't bear to see a pair of shoes sitting on the floor wrong. If the right shoe is sitting to the left of the left shoe, or they are pointed in different directions, I absolutely have to stop whatever I am doing and get up and straigten them. I can't ignore it.

Rojo
02-04-2009, 02:28 AM
I can't bear to see a pair of shoes sitting on the floor wrong. If the right shoe is sitting to the left of the left shoe, or they are pointed in different directions, I absolutely have to stop whatever I am doing and get up and straigten them. I can't ignore it.

I'm not very OCD but I get this one. Also when corded phones are hung up "the wrong way".

TeamCasey
02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm right there with you. My world is not right unless my TV volume is set to a multiple of 5.

:D I always set on an even number.

TeamCasey
02-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Yesterday's pet peeve and an old New York winner: people who clean snow off their windows but don't brush off their lights.

RFS62
02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I usually set mine to numbers of old Reds players.

17, or Tommy Helms (or Aaron Boone for you younger fans), for low volume music on XM when I first get up in the morning.

Then I turn it up to Jose Rijo, 27, after everyone else is up and about.

Then, later in the day if I'm still in the office, I'll blast it up to Tom Seaver, 41, and rock out.

OldRightHander
02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
:D I always set on an even number.

Even numbers for everything here.

I also have to fix pictures that are hanging crooked on the wall, no matter where it is.

Roy Tucker
02-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Related to TV volume, I hate it when the shows are quiet and the commercials blast out.

It seems like our local FOX station is worst at this. I'll turn it up on shows like 24 or House because the volume level is so low and then a commercial comes on and it everyone in the room goes "jeez, turn that down!".

RichRed
02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I usually set mine to numbers of old Reds players.

17, or Tommy Helms (or Aaron Boone for you younger fans), for low volume music on XM when I first get up in the morning.

Then I turn it up to Jose Rijo, 27, after everyone else is up and about.

Then, later in the day if I'm still in the office, I'll blast it up to Tom Seaver, 41, and rock out.

Ha, I do that with birthdays. Any time someone I know has a birthday, I associate the age they're turning to an athlete's uniform number. My wife wasn't too happy to be turning from Larry Bird to Walter Payton in December.

I'll be Gale Sayers in a couple months. :help:

NJReds
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Yesterday's pet peeve and an old New York winner: people who clean snow off their windows but don't brush off their lights.

And people who don't clear the snow/ice off their roof. I get to dodge ice bombs all the way to work.

NJReds
02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Related to TV volume, I hate it when the shows are quiet and the commercials blast out.

It seems like our local FOX station is worst at this. I'll turn it up on shows like 24 or House because the volume level is so low and then a commercial comes on and it everyone in the room goes "jeez, turn that down!".

My daughter watches Nick sometimes, and they are the worst offenders. They amp up the commercials to an unlistenable level. TBS/TNT to a lesser degree.

Dom Heffner
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
The name "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse" drives me crazy.

It doesn't make sense, even if it does.

If you have to explain it, it isn't worth it.

We have a restaurant here in Land O Lakes called, "Eukele Brand's."

If you know the owner you know what it means. Otherwise, forget it.

Why do people name their businesses like this?

RichRed
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
The name "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse" drives me crazy.

It doesn't make sense, even if it does.

If you have to explain it, it isn't worth it.

We have a restaurant here in Land O Lakes called, "Eukele Brand's."

If you know the owner you know what it means. Otherwise, forget it.

Why do people name their businesses like this?

"Ruth's Chris" bugs me too. Right up there with "Carl's Jr."

SunDeck
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
At least there's an explanation for the name.

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name.[5] Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world.[6]

DTCromer
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I hate people who waste time in front of me in line trying to get out exact change to buy something.

Ltlabner
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Fortunately, I am bugged by nothing and irritated by less.

SunDeck
12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
People at drive through ATMs who do the following:

1) Make multiple transactions.
2) After they're finished, sit in front of the ATM putting everything- money, card, receipt- back into their purse/wallet.

It's pretty simple- drive up, get your money, move forward out of the way of the next person in line, get your affairs in order, drive away.

Incidentally, I have a feeling these people also stand in the express checkout in the grocery store, writing checks or looking for the exact change.

Roy Tucker
12-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I hate people who waste time in front of me in line trying to get out exact change to buy something.

Depends. My wife always has coin change and if paying by cash, she makes sure it comes out even on the dollar. She can figure change faster than ENIAC and sure as heck faster than your average cashier.

texasdave
12-12-2009, 10:45 AM

I have never understood, and my wife is guilty of this, why women have change in fifteen different places in the purse and/or pocketbook. I also have never understood why women just drop change into their purse when they know full well that the next time they purchase an item they are going to be digging around at the bottom of their purse looking for the just-dropped change.

PS And that's what I love about women in general and my wife in particular. (Is that better, honey?)

DTCromer
12-12-2009, 11:35 AM

2) After they're finished, sit in front of the ATM putting everything- money, card, receipt- back into their purse/wallet.

It's pretty simple- drive up, get your money, move forward out of the way of the next person in line, get your affairs in order, drive away.

Incidentally, I have a feeling these people also stand in the express checkout in the grocery store, writing checks or looking for the exact change.

Co-sign.

Highlifeman21
12-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you for bringing this up.

Writing checks out in public. I understand it's by and large a generational thing, but over the past 11+ years working in various retail avenues, nothing pissed me off more than someone writing a check to pay for their purchase. I'd rather have a customer scream at me about something than have to watch them write out the check, ask 3 times to whom to make the check out, and then have to process the check.

They're called debit cards. They work just like a check, but faster! Comes straight out of your checking account! Update your checkbook after the purchase is approved!

OldRightHander
12-13-2009, 02:46 AM
1. Left lane slowpokes who refuse to move over and people who pass on the right when the left lane is clear. Here's a tip. Drive on the right and pass on the left. Period. No exceptions. Especially when you're passing commercial vehicles with no rear view mirrors and a larger blind spot on the right.

2. The express lane sign should read "20 items or fewer." Meijer is the only grocery chain I've seen that gets this right.

3. People who hint at things instead of coming out and saying it and then get upset if you don't get the hint.

4. People who hold celebrities to a higher standard than the rest of us. Is infidelity worse if a famous person does it?

5. People who drive too fast for the weather conditions and almost involve me in an accident. If you want to go too fast on the snow and end up in the ditch that's fine with me, but if you start sliding all over the place when you're trying to pass me and you almost involve me in an avoidable accident, (avoidable if you were smart enough to just take it slower and stay in control) then I have a problem with that.

Dom Heffner
12-13-2009, 08:51 AM
People who drive with their hazard lights on. You're either a hazard or you're not. Hazards belong on the side of the road.

This thing where you drive down the road at dangerously low speeds just so you can get your untied refrigerator home..ah...no.

SunDeck
12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Speaking of cashiers, I hate the way they are trained. It just kills me to watch a sixteen year old kid who has to wait for the cash register to tell them that they owe me $4.50 after I hand them a $10 bill for a $5.50 purchase. I was trained the old way, before the calculator when the proper way to give change back on that purchase was:

1) Do the math to the next dollar, ($.50 for those of you under 40 :))
2) Hand the customer the coins and say "six".
3) Count the bills and say, "seven, eight, nine, ten".

It's fool proof and helps to develop the minds of our youth.

One other pet peeve about cashiers- handing me the receipt, bills and coins in a pile with the coins on top. The coins invariably end up on the floor. I have this habit now of just closing my fist around the cash and making them wait while I put the bills into my wallet.

Dom Heffner
12-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Speaking of cashiers, I hate the way they are trained. It just kills me to watch a sixteen year old kid who has to wait for the cash register to tell them that they owe me $4.50 after I hand them a $10 bill for a $5.50 purchase. I was trained the old way, before the calculator when the proper way to give change back on that purchase was:

1) Do the math to the next dollar, ($.50 for those of you under 40 :))
2) Hand the customer the coins and say "six".
3) Count the bills and say, "seven, eight, nine, ten".

It's fool proof and helps to develop the minds of our youth.

One other pet peeve about cashiers- handing me the receipt, bills and coins in a pile with the coins on top. The coins invariably end up on the floor. I have this habit now of just closing my fist around the cash and making them wait while I put the bills into my wallet.

See- I love the cash register. I don't need some kid practicing math with my money.

SunDeck
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
See- I love the cash register. I don't need some kid practicing math with my money.

This is the reason India is supplying all the engineers in this country! ;)

ABEsolutely
12-14-2009, 07:33 AM
3. People who hint at things instead of coming out and saying it and then get upset if you don't get the hint.

so, women?

OldRightHander
12-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this, I guess. I always pull the bills away and force the person to put the coins into my hand, or I will drop the coins on purpose and then point out that customers won't drop the coins if you don't put them on top of the bills.

Rojo
12-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Even with the cash register you can make mistakes -- like grabbing the wrong bills or too many bills from the till.

As someone who's worked in and managed retail, I can tell you that SunDeck's 100% correct on this one.

Dom Heffner
12-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Even with the cash register you can make mistakes -- like grabbing the wrong bills or too many bills from the till.

As someone who's worked in and managed retail, I can tell you that SunDeck's 100% correct on this one.

You'd have more mistakes without the cash register.

I've worked in retail, too- the register saves everybody time and money.

I don't need a 16 year old going rogue with the cash. Just scan the bar code and give me back what the screen tells you is the overage.

Rojo
12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
You'd have more mistakes without the cash register.

I've worked in retail, too- the register saves everybody time and money.

I don't need a 16 year old going rogue with the cash. Just scan the bar code and give me back what the screen tells you is the overage.

And to make sure you have the screen tells you, you should count it back.

durl
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
The "Pull With Both Hands" towel dispensers in restrooms. (More of these are being installed where I work...)

90% of the time, you have to turn that tiny crank to get the paper to come out.

Roy Tucker
12-15-2009, 11:19 AM
People that continually tap their brakes lighting up their brake lights at highway speeds on the interstate.

Try lifting your foot off the gas. You'll slow down. It works. Really.

Highlifeman21
12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Naive people drive me crazy.

Rojo
12-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Here's one: somebody asks you to do something "when you get a chance" then constantly checks back with you to see if you've done it.

redsfandan
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
hot showers that turn into cold showers when you're not expecting it. (i'm so glad i have a tolerance for cold) and when beer comes out your nose. (at least i was in the shower at the time)

Dom Heffner
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Here's one: somebody asks you to do something "when you get a chance" then constantly checks back with you to see if you've done it.

Had a boss do this to me- guy was worth millions, asks me to do something for him when I had a chance.

Several hours later, he calls me into his office.

I explained that I hadn't had a chance yet LOL....

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Ravenlord
12-17-2009, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6pYG1DQ4s

SunDeck
12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
The phrase "going forward" is driving me crazy right now. If I hear one more executive or talking head use it, I will throw my daughter's Little Pet Shop Village at the TV.

RichRed
12-17-2009, 02:28 PM
The phrase "going forward" is driving me crazy right now. If I hear one more executive or talking head use it, I will throw my daughter's Little Pet Shop Village at the TV.

Yeah, that's a big one in corporate land right now. I even caught myself using it in an email and had to give myself a stern talking to.

BRM
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM

I'll be sure to stop using that phrase going forward.

Ltlabner
12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I'll be sure to stop using that phrase going forward.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/069/6/c/Funny_by_LHWickedChik.gif

Roy Tucker
12-17-2009, 03:49 PM

I heard the word "prepone" used the other day. I asked what it meant. They said to postpone something before it happens. I said "so like, postpone?" and was met with a befuddled look.

I hate "preplan" too. Planning is planning.

Hoosier Red
12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Incentivize.

You can provide incentives, but incentivize is not a word. Really sucks going through a MBA class on organizational behavior when you hate this word.

SunDeck
12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, that's a big one in corporate land right now. I even caught myself using it in an email and had to give myself a stern talking to.

Corporate Speak is crazy. Stuff like "going forward" makes me think their world really is like this:

[Jack] – “There they are – the Six Sigmas themselves. Each of them embodies a pillar of the Six Sigma philosophy: teamwork, insight, brutality, male enhancement, handshakefulness, and play hard.”

And I miss William Saffire. (http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/features/magazine/columns/on_language/index.html)

SunDeck
12-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I heard the word "prepone" used the other day. I asked what it meant. They said to postpone something before it happens. I said "so like, postpone?" and was met with a befuddled look.

And it works best if that person thinks you are the moron.

RichRed
12-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Corporate Speak is crazy. Stuff like "going forward" makes me think their world really is like this:
[/URL]

I don't normally watch "30 Rock" but that's great.

Another good one is "business decision." It's often invoked, I guess, to convey that some really serious thinking went into this. "We made a business decision to cut ties with our third largest vendor."

Never mind that any decision made at a company is, by default, a business decision.

paintmered
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM

"Pre-position" is a big buzzword at my workplace. I know how to position something, I don't know how to position it before positioning it.

SunDeck
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
But preposition is already a word.
Dolts.

Rojo
12-17-2009, 07:44 PM
"Pre-position" is a big buzzword at my workplace. I know how to position something, I don't know how to position it before positioning it.

It's like "after-party" which is now just a party.

Rojo
12-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Another one: how many things is Walgreen's going to lock up? I had to flag down a clerk to unlock the cabinet for $1 toothbrush. WTF?.

Highlifeman21
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Another one: how many things is Walgreen's going to lock up? I had to flag down a clerk to unlock the cabinet for $1 toothbrush. WTF?.

Depends on the location of the Walgreen's.

I've gone to a couple of here, and depending on the neighborhood dictated what was locked up and what was not.

redsfandan
12-18-2009, 12:59 PM
- foot in mouth disease
- inflation increasing faster than my paycheck
- ebonics (especially when that's the ONLY way someone can talk)
- tabloids/paparazzi and people that think they have to know EVERYTHING about people

vaticanplum
12-18-2009, 01:41 PM

My friends and I actually asked about this when we wanted $1 lotion and it was locked up while right nearby was the expensive electronics shelf or something. The clerk said it does vary by location and they choose to lock up the things that have the highest "walk" rate. In a lot of placest that's the cheapest, smallest stuff. It costs them the most money apparently.

Rojo
12-18-2009, 05:47 PM
inflation increasing faster than my paycheck

It's near zero.

GAC
12-19-2009, 04:59 AM
People visiting (gabbing) when at Walmart or the grocery store, and blocking aisle ways. You want to push them out of the way.

And having a cellphone glued to your ear while you're pushing a shopping cart is another bugaboo that burns me.

pahster
12-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Undergrads who grade grub, especially when they're trying (i.e. failing) to get me to move them up to an A from an A-.

Dom Heffner
12-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Undergrads who grade grub, especially when they're trying (i.e. failing) to get me to move them up to an A from an A-.

I can't blame them- the plus/minus system is for nerds. :)

redsfandan
12-19-2009, 05:31 PM
It's near zero.
So is my paycheck.

Rojo
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
So is my paycheck.

Welcome to the Great Recession. After two straight years without a raise and with unpaid furloughs, I'm thinking price deflation is the only way I can get ahead.

Highlifeman21
12-20-2009, 11:09 PM

Is it grade grubbing when the professor screwed up and you should have the A but he gave you the A-?

pahster
12-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Is it grade grubbing when the professor screwed up and you should have the A but he gave you the A-?

Nope. But I didn't screw up; they're just a bunch of whiners.

Highlifeman21
12-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Nope. But I didn't screw up; they're just a bunch of whiners.

Just got an email from my database professor saying that he had a calculation error in his Excel spreadsheet, and that was the mix up on grades.

Sure, blame Excel...

pahster
12-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Just got an email from my database professor saying that he had a calculation error in his Excel spreadsheet, and that was the mix up on grades.

Sure, blame Excel...

I can see that happening. Excel's a pretty crappy program. I was forced to calculate grades using it. Took me a couple of hours to do what I could have done in Stata or R in two minutes.

Dom Heffner
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm surprised they don't go to an A+++ system. After all, why should someone who gets a 99% get the same as a person who got a 100%????? ;)

Tracy Flick is alive and well....

SunDeck
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I can see that happening. Excel's a pretty crappy program. I was forced to calculate grades using it. Took me a couple of hours to do what I could have done in Stata or R in two minutes.

It's operator error, not Excel. The program suits me fine, but I'm careful and I triple check my formulas and I run them with dummy numbers to check for errors. Got that tip from a public finance professor way back who used to say, "One day, you're going to have to present data to your boss, and I'm not going to be to blame for you screwing up because I let you get away with a minor formula error."

I adjunct at IU and they use Sakai- don't you have that where you are? It makes grading relatively easy.

SunDeck
12-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I can't stand it when people remark about a haircut by saying, "You got a haircut." Or, if you're wearing a tie, they say, "You're wearing a tie".

It happens here in Indiana more and anywhere else I've lived, so I'm just chalking it up to Hoosier genetics, just like the need to burn leaves and trash.

BRM
12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
just like the need to burn leaves and trash.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Caveat Emperor
12-21-2009, 02:00 PM
People who feel the need to buy 3 pounds of coffee and have it ground during the morning commute at Starbucks.

RichRed
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I can't stand it when people remark about a haircut by saying, "You got a haircut."

I've heard "You got your ears lowered" a few too many times.

12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
It happens here in Indiana more and anywhere else I've lived, so I'm just chalking it up to Hoosier genetics, just like the need to burn leaves and trash.

It kills me every fall, when I bag leaves so close to a perfectly good curb, knowing I have gasiline in the shed.:)

I shave my head. I have a scar near the top of my head that I sometimes nick, and it'll bleed a little. It gets pointed out to me dozens of times each time it happens. By the same people.

pahster
12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
It's operator error, not Excel. The program suits me fine, but I'm careful and I triple check my formulas and I run them with dummy numbers to check for errors. Got that tip from a public finance professor way back who used to say, "One day, you're going to have to present data to your boss, and I'm not going to be to blame for you screwing up because I let you get away with a minor formula error."

I adjunct at IU and they use Sakai- don't you have that where you are? It makes grading relatively easy.

Looks like we have it at UNC, but I've never heard of it. I'd rather just use R. Just type in the math, hit enter, and done.

PedroBourbon
12-21-2009, 02:42 PM
People visiting (gabbing) when at Walmart or the grocery store, and blocking aisle ways. You want to push them out of the way.

Also along that note, the way people panic and flock to the grocery store at the mere mention of snow in the forecast. I think Kroger pays our local meteorologists to up the chances of snow as well as expected total accumulation just to get the business.

SunDeck
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
People who feel the need to buy 3 pounds of coffee and have it ground during the morning commute at Starbucks.

Courting death, certainly.

Frankly, it drives me crazy that Starbucks also makes it complicated to even order coffee. What ever happened to stepping up to the counter and saying , "One cup of coffee, please."

Dom Heffner
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I also hate certain types of Facebook friends. For starters, any person who counts down to Friday every week. "Oh no, it's Monday, how will I ever get by?" Listen, sweetheart, there are 52 of them in a year give or take, and it's like this every year. There's always the alternative if you don't like life here on planet earth.

Also- the Facebook friend who is the sympathy *****. Their is life is awful, everybody around them has incurable lupus, we all need to pull together for their third cousin twice removed who is battling a case of athlete's foot. Seriously, they inject themselves into everybody's misery so they get 65 well wishes for them to pull through "this trying time." Listen, Ziggy, nobody is that unlucky, so either stop nosing into everybody's business or find a hobby.

Or the friend who publishes everytime they take a quiz or complete some nerd alert inspired task on mafia Wars, etc.

TeamCasey
12-22-2009, 06:03 PM
I have never understood, and my wife is guilty of this, why women have change in fifteen different places in the purse and/or pocketbook. I also have never understood why women just drop change into their purse when they know full well that the next time they purchase an item they are going to be digging around at the bottom of their purse looking for the just-dropped change.

PS And that's what I love about women in general and my wife in particular. (Is that better, honey?)

Purses are a mystical, magical voyage that you guys will never understand.

TeamCasey
12-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you for bringing this up.

Writing checks out in public. I understand it's by and large a generational thing, but over the past 11+ years working in various retail avenues, nothing pissed me off more than someone writing a check to pay for their purchase. I'd rather have a customer scream at me about something than have to watch them write out the check, ask 3 times to whom to make the check out, and then have to process the check.

They're called debit cards. They work just like a check, but faster! Comes straight out of your checking account! Update your checkbook after the purchase is approved!

My Dad had a rotary phone until a couple year's ago. Debit cards and phone banking are "things that drive him crazy".

vaticanplum
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
My Dad had a rotary phone until a couple year's ago. Debit cards and phone banking are "things that drive him crazy".

Hey, I have a rotary phone. Love the way it rings. Would wake the dead, which I nearly am when I'm sleeping.

I'm cheap. If it's not broken, I ain't replacing it.

westofyou
12-22-2009, 06:39 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Love the smell of burning leaves, reminds me of the 60's and early 70's

traderumor
12-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Courting death, certainly.

Frankly, it drives me crazy that Starbucks also makes it complicated to even order coffee. What ever happened to stepping up to the counter and saying , "One cup of coffee, please."Yuk, Starbucks is awful, nasty coffee.

traderumor
12-22-2009, 07:48 PM
"Win-win" is back.

Catch phrases in general.

Excusing young people from the age of 13-19 from responsibility for their actions because they're "just being teenagers"

OldRightHander
12-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Catch phrases in general.

Going forward, if we can all avoid using catch phrases, we'll be better off at the end of the day.

OldRightHander
12-22-2009, 09:56 PM
People who absolutely can't be behind a taller vehicle, but can't keep their speed up after passing the taller vehicle, prompting the driver of the taller vehicle to pass them back. Highway leapfrog isn't a game I enjoy playing. If you don't want to be behind me, then pass me and keep your speed up so I don't have to take off my cruise control. I get cranky if I have to take off my cruise control. This same person will often get over into the left lane to avoid being behind a truck, but won't overtake the truck, instead just hanging out in the left lane just behind the end of the truck's trailer, effectively blocking everyone else from overtaking the truck.