PDA

View Full Version : Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

sonny
12-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I also hate certain types of Facebook friends. For starters, any person who counts down to Friday every week. "Oh no, it's Monday, how will I ever get by?" Listen, sweetheart, there are 52 of them in a year give or take, and it's like this every year. There's always the alternative if you don't like life here on planet earth.

Also- the Facebook friend who is the sympathy *****. Their is life is awful, everybody around them has incurable lupus, we all need to pull together for their third cousin twice removed who is battling a case of athlete's foot. Seriously, they inject themselves into everybody's misery so they get 65 well wishes for them to pull through "this trying time." Listen, Ziggy, nobody is that unlucky, so either stop nosing into everybody's business or find a hobby.

Or the friend who publishes everytime they take a quiz or complete some nerd alert inspired task on mafia Wars, etc.

Here, here!

I'd want to add the person who updates their staus ten times aday. Look, I'll just be honest: We don't care if you're doing laundry. We don't care that your kids are being a pain. We certainly don't care if you're watching CSI.

The worst are the ones who talk about Celebrity news, like we don't get it crammed down our throats but the regular entertainment world, now we got some doofus on an internet social network site elling me Reece Witherspoon is dating Mr Whatshisface? Who gives a damn?!

Or the folks who just quote song lyrics. Ok, we get it. the new System of a Down album really speaks to you, but once again, we don't care.

Dom Heffner
12-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Here, here!

I'd want to add the person who updates their staus ten times aday. Look, I'll just be honest: We don't care if you're doing laundry. We don't care that your kids are being a pain. We certainly don't care if you're watching CSI.

The worst are the ones who talk about Celebrity news, like we don't get it crammed down our throats but the regular entertainment world, now we got some doofus on an internet social network site elling me Reece Witherspoon is dating Mr Whatshisface? Who gives a damn?!

Or the folks who just quote song lyrics. Ok, we get it. the new System of a Down album really speaks to you, but once again, we don't care.

These are terrific.

Also don't like what we'd call here as "The Peanut Gallery" status updates. You're posting to an audience of varied people, who no doubt see things differently. Save it for your friends, your family, your wife. I don't need to know how you feel about these things. I don't. I need to hear your opinion on global warming like I need a second nose.

Also- something that really irks me is when people- and it happened with the death of Chris Henry- insinuate that someone's death was caused by prior choices, sins, transgressions, as if some being triggered events to kill that person on purpose as punishment.

I saw this on the Enquirer.com page. Had the idiot who posted this awful proposition looked one inch below the Henry story, he would have seen a link to a story about a couple who were killed in a car crash. I guess they must have lived an awful life, filled with poor choices. Come to think of it, since we all die, I guess it means it's all our own doing.

frenetic wave
12-23-2009, 12:25 AM
The best is when people post status updates about the status updates that annoy them. Nothing like using Facebook to complain about people using Facebook.

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Television networks insisting that they put their "shadow" logo's in the lower right hand corner of the screen during a show that I'm watching.

"I don't give a *$&%#! what station I'm on!!!....Get OFF my SCREEN!!!!"

Razor Shines
12-23-2009, 07:55 AM
I've seen quite a few of these in past couple weeks and it bothers me.

The work trucks or dump trucks that have signs that say something to the effect of "Stay back 200ft. We DO NOT pay for broken or cracked windshields." What? First of all can I just put up a sign and not be held responsible for dropping crap out of the back of my car? And second the signs are usually not that big and usually can't really beread them until your within 20-30 ft of the truck.

What if I didn't care about my car and dropped my insurance and put a sign on my car that read "Stay away. I do not have insurance and do not pay for damage caused by this vehicle."

I was going off about this the other day with my wife in the car and she just gave me a roll of the eyes and "ok, babe, that's enough." So maybe I'm overracting.

SunDeck
12-23-2009, 09:12 AM
People who absolutely can't be behind a taller vehicle, but can't keep their speed up after passing the taller vehicle, prompting the driver of the taller vehicle to pass them back. Highway leapfrog isn't a game I enjoy playing. If you don't want to be behind me, then pass me and keep your speed up so I don't have to take off my cruise control. I get cranky if I have to take off my cruise control. This same person will often get over into the left lane to avoid being behind a truck, but won't overtake the truck, instead just hanging out in the left lane just behind the end of the truck's trailer, effectively blocking everyone else from overtaking the truck.

How about semis that poke up hills at 45mph, then run down the other side at 80? The stretch of I-75 in southern Kentucky seems to attract a lot of this behavior. Obviously, I can understand the slow going uphill, but running up my tailpipe on the downhill side is just begging for an episode of road rage.

traderumor
12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Going forward, if we can all avoid using catch phrases, we'll be better off at the end of the day.It'll be a win-win!

NJReds
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
How about semis that poke up hills at 45mph, then run down the other side at 80? The stretch of I-75 in southern Kentucky seems to attract a lot of this behavior. Obviously, I can understand the slow going uphill, but running up my tailpipe on the downhill side is just begging for an episode of road rage.

Ditto. I drive a highway to work that has a number of hills, and I see that behavior all of the time.

Also, the huge chunks of ice that fly off of trucks are a hazard. Thankfully, New Jersey just passed a law so that they can ticket for cars/trucks that don't clean the snow/ice off of their vehicles.

NJReds
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't spend a lot of time in malls, but I've been a few times last week leading up to Christmas, and I have to say that the kiosk salespeople here have gotten very aggressive. I don't want their hand therapy solution or their neckwarmers. And when I say no, that doesn't mean follow me until I can duck into a store.

PedroBourbon
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Thank you for bringing this up.

Writing checks out in public.

This is especially annoying at a "Qwicky Mart" type place when they buy like one or two items totalling less than $4. I mean who writes checks for these amounts?

IF I do ever write checks, everything is filled out but the amount by the time the cashier has everything tallied.

ABEsolutely
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Well I'm guessing that they're trying to get their speed up for the next uphill climb. I don't think they prefer getting down to 45mph either. I don't like it myself, but I definitely understand. I can't stand it when people don't use their cruise. I'm set at 72 and they keep poking up beside me and falling back, over and over and over...

traderumor
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Having 3 of 40 lanes open at Wal-Mart

People who cancel local plans a week in advance because the extended weather forecast says it is going to be a bad weather day that day(my parents and old people in general are famous for this)

Dom Heffner
12-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Well I'm guessing that they're trying to get their speed up for the next uphill climb. I don't think they prefer getting down to 45mph either. I don't like it myself, but I definitely understand. I can't stand it when people don't use their cruise. I'm set at 72 and they keep poking up beside me and falling back, over and over and over...

I don't drive a truck, but I would also think it would be a tremendous wear and tear on your brakes coming down a hill with such a heavy load.

I give them the benefit of the doubt, unlike the careless motorcycle riders. (Don't throw stuff at me- a lot of them, not all-have a pretty arrogant view of the roadway for being in such a not so powerful position)

The work trucks or dump trucks that have signs that say something to the effect of "Stay back 200ft. We DO NOT pay for broken or cracked windshields." What? First of all can I just put up a sign and not be held responsible for dropping crap out of the back of my car? And second the signs are usually not that big and usually can't really beread them until your within 20-30 ft of the truck.

What if I didn't care about my car and dropped my insurance and put a sign on my car that read "Stay away. I do not have insurance and do not pay for damage caused by this vehicle."

I was going off about this the other day with my wife in the car and she just gave me a roll of the eyes and "ok, babe, that's enough." So maybe I'm overracting.

As your resident insurance agent, I can tell you that they normally don't have to pay. It falls under your comprehensive coverage.

If you could prove that they are being negligent or careless, they would have to pay, but uncontrollable events fall under your comp coverage.

Roy Tucker
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Standing in a long line waiting to order food for many minutes. And then the person in front of you gets to the order taker and goes "hmmmm.... let's see.... what do I want?.... think, think, think..."

Dude, we've been standing in line with nothing to do but study the menu. I can recite the darn thing from memory by the time we get there. Just order and move on...

sonny
12-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Standing in a long line waiting to order food for many minutes. And then the person in front of you gets to the order taker and goes "hmmmm.... let's see.... what do I want?.... think, think, think..."

Dude, we've been standing in line with nothing to do but study the menu. I can recite the darn thing from memory by the time we get there. Just order and move on...

Ha, good one.

I also get peeved at the 20 questions they ask as well. "Your lettuce, is that organic?", "Do you sanitize your trays before you set food on it? H1N1 is real, y'know"

traderumor
12-23-2009, 12:49 PM
"Fast" food drive thru's (I won't name names, but it rhymes with McDonalds), do not ask me to pull up because you cannot fill my order. I got a very strange look one day when I refused to pull up. She was so flustered she went and got another employee, who asked me to pull up so they could wait on others while I had to wait for my "fast" food. I simply said "no." They left me alone, well except for shooting me dirty looks, and eventually got my food through the window.

PedroBourbon
12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
"Fast" food drive thru's (I won't name names, but it rhymes with McDonalds), do not ask me to pull up because you cannot fill my order. I got a very strange look one day when I refused to pull up. She was so flustered she went and got another employee, who asked me to pull up so they could wait on others while I had to wait for my "fast" food. I simply said "no." They left me alone, well except for shooting me dirty looks, and eventually got my food through the window.

Watch the movie Waiting and you won't piss off food service workers BEFORE you have your food.

Caveat Emperor
12-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Someone who has worked at one of theses places can probably elaborate, but I've been told by people that the computer monitors how quickly orders are "cleared" on the drive-up window -- and that workers get yelled at or docked potential bonuses if the average order-fill time is over a certain amount.

So, for example, if you order Chicken Nuggets and they just dropped a bunch in the frier (because someone ahead of you ordered 2 dozen, or whatever), if it takes 3 minutes to fry them up, then YOUR order doesn't clear out until 3 minutes, the order behind you doesn't clear out for another 3 minutes, etc. That screws the entire time up for the shift and gets people in trouble.

I don't know if all fast food places operate this way, or just the one my friend worked at.

Dom Heffner
12-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Not to be rude, but why would you make everyone else wait because your food wasn't ready? If I were behind you and my food got cold becuase you were doing something that wasn't getting your food to you any quicker, I'd put a post on here under this thread to vent about it LOL....

Redsfan320
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Not to be rude, but why would you make everyone else wait because your food wasn't ready? If I were behind you and my food got cold becuase you were doing something that wasn't getting your food to you any quicker, I'd put a post on here under this thread to vent about it LOL....

Because he shouldn't have to wait on his food either. I've found that when you refuse to pull up at places like McD's, they somehow manage to get you your food VERY quickly.

traderumor
12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Because he shouldn't have to wait on his food either. I've found that when you refuse to pull up at places like McD's, they somehow manage to get you your food VERY quickly.

320Amen. Seeing four or five cars drive away while I'm waiting on my double cheeseburger didn't seem like I was a top priority once I pulled forward. Also, I had been forgotten in a previous pull forward and observed others get the same treatment, thus the subsequent behavior.

Dom Heffner
12-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Amen. Seeing four or five cars drive away while I'm waiting on my double cheeseburger didn't seem like I was a top priority once I pulled forward. Also, I had been forgotten in a previous pull forward and observed others get the same treatment, thus the subsequent behavior.

Well then I guess those 4 or 5 cars should just all sit there and wait for your double chesseburger.

Dude, cook time is cook time. You can't "speed it up," or "make it a priority."

When I worked in fast food, the only people who had to pull up were the ones who ordered something that wasn't up. Sorry about your luck, but it's silly to be stubborn and make everybody else wait because you think your pouting will make the meat cook faster.

I'm laughing as I type this- please don't take offense, it's just sometimes things don't go your way, you know?

Eric_the_Red
12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Instead of making everyone else wait, just refuse to pay until your food is ready. Of course, most fast food places now have two windows and make you pay first.

But....if you have to pull forward and wait 2-3 minutes, is it really that big of a deal?

Ltlabner
12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Well then I guess those 4 or 5 cars should just all sit there and wait for your double chesseburger.

When I worked in fast food, the only people who had to pull up were the ones who ordered something that wasn't up. Sorry about your luck, but it's silly to be stubborn and make everybody else wait because you think your pouting will make the meat cook faster.

I'm laughing as I type this- please don't take offense, it's just sometimes things don't go your way, you know?

:laugh:

Well said.

Roy Tucker
12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry about your luck, but it's silly to be stubborn and make everybody else wait because you think your pouting will make the meat cook faster.

Au contraire.

Its just like the more times you press the elevator button, the faster the elevator will go to get to your floor. There is a special little sensor that speeds up the motor. Its a scientifically proven fact.

traderumor
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM

I'm laughing as I type this- please don't take offense, it's just sometimes things don't go your way, you know?Obviously, you haven't experienced getting out of your car and going in the restaurant because they forgot you were waiting, which was the whole purpose of the drive thru, and the idea of fast food. And this happens on common items, not special orders. The restaurant has the responsibility to the others in line, not me. If they are worried about them, they can walk out the door and hand it to them, right? ;)

As far as offense, I learned a long time ago not to sweat my quirks and try not to sweat others' either. this is definitely a quirks thread.

traderumor
12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Instead of making everyone else wait, just refuse to pay until your food is ready. Of course, most fast food places now have two windows and make you pay first.

But....if you have to pull forward and wait 2-3 minutes, is it really that big of a deal?Yes. I go through a drive thru for speed and convenience. Waiting is unacceptable. Of course, that doesn't even count the number of times they screw up the order in the first place. I have a large family, so my large order is almost impossible to check in line, so you get home and there is inevitably missing nuggets or fries. One time, a drive thru forgot the chicken on my chicken sandwich. No kidding.

In a weird irony, I don't go through the drive thru most of the time because the electric windows on my jalopy barely work. I think that may be the Lord taking care of this little weakness for me.

Hoosier Red
12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
It's odd, I probably order fast food 2-3 times per week and I can't remember the last time they screwed up my order.
Starbucks has screwed up the decaf/soy portion for my wife(and those baristas are now dead to her) but Mcdonalds/Wendy's/Burger King have pretty much always been right.

redsfandan
12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
It's odd, I probably order fast food 2-3 times per week and I can't remember the last time they screwed up my order. Starbucks has screwed up the decaf/soy portion for my wife(and those baristas are now dead to her) but Mcdonalds/Wendy's/Burger King have pretty much always been right.
I think you should consider yourself very, very lucky.

Redsfan320
12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
Sorry about your luck, but it's silly to be stubborn and make everybody else wait because you think your pouting will make the meat cook faster.
Au contraire

Its just like the more times you press the elevator button, the faster the elevator will go to get to your floor. There is a special little sensor that speeds up the motor. Its a scientifically proven fact.

Yeah, somehow the meat actually does cook faster.

Hoosier Red
12-23-2009, 11:48 PM
I think you should consider yourself very, very lucky.

No I agree, I tend to not have any special requests with my meals and I'm almost always by myself so its a small order. But I suppose I am lucky.

Highlifeman21
12-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes. I go through a drive thru for speed and convenience. Waiting is unacceptable. Of course, that doesn't even count the number of times they screw up the order in the first place. I have a large family, so my large order is almost impossible to check in line, so you get home and there is inevitably missing nuggets or fries. One time, a drive thru forgot the chicken on my chicken sandwich. No kidding.

In a weird irony, I don't go through the drive thru most of the time because the electric windows on my jalopy barely work. I think that may be the Lord taking care of this little weakness for me.

Each time the fast food joint asked you to pull forward to complete your order, did you have your large family in tow?

Or do you just feel like fast food joints are infringing upon your customer bill of rights @ fast food joints by asking you to pull forward?

westofyou
12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I haven't eaten at a fast food place for a meal in over 15 years, that stuff ain't good food at all... so what drives me crazy is the assumption that it's passable as a meal.

traderumor
12-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Each time the fast food joint asked you to pull forward to complete your order, did you have your large family in tow?

Or do you just feel like fast food joints are infringing upon your customer bill of rights @ fast food joints by asking you to pull forward?Nope, my large family did not exist at the time. Strike one.

Everyone goes to a business with expectations of the service that is going to be provided. This same restaurant had digital clocks to time their service posted in the window. I'd say that set the expectation at "fast food means fast service." Strike two.

Finally, the title of this thread is "things that drive you crazy." That makes the person me, not you. It doesn't drive you crazy, duly noted. I'm sure you have some petty quirks yourself. Strike three, and yer out.

traderumor
12-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I haven't eaten at a fast food place for a meal in over 15 years, that stuff ain't good food at all... so what drives me crazy is the assumption that it's passable as a meal.Greasy burgers and fries constitute a meal at my house, so someone else doing it for me qualifies in my book. Of course, I'm 100 pounds overweight, so nutrition is clearly not my area of expertise ;)

Highlifeman21
12-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Nope, my large family did not exist at the time. Strike one.

Everyone goes to a business with expectations of the service that is going to be provided. This same restaurant had digital clocks to time their service posted in the window. I'd say that set the expectation at "fast food means fast service." Strike two.

Finally, the title of this thread is "things that drive you crazy." That makes the person me, not you. It doesn't drive you crazy, duly noted. I'm sure you have some petty quirks yourself. Strike three, and yer out.

Then the answer is clearly the fast food joints are profiling you, much like the police profile GIDP.

They want to make you pull forward and wait for the completion of your order, as they know it drives you crazy.

I know I have plenty of quirks, but pulling forward from a fast food window so they can help other customers while they're completing my order doesn't bother me at all.

traderumor
12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Then the answer is clearly the fast food joints are profiling you, much like the police profile GIDP.

They want to make you pull forward and wait for the completion of your order, as they know it drives you crazy.

I know I have plenty of quirks, but pulling forward from a fast food window so they can help other customers while they're completing my order doesn't bother me at all.Being admittedly quirky yourself, I find criticizing another's quirks amusing. I'm sure I would furrow my brows at some of yours as well. I don't think that is the point of this thread, at least as I see it.

BoydsOfSummer
12-24-2009, 12:02 PM
People at stop signs who clearly arrive before you do, then go into a frozen trance trying to decide whether to go or wait for you. Makes me nuts! Now, most times, I just go ahead whether it should be me or not, which is probably someone else's peeve. :D

OldRightHander
12-24-2009, 01:18 PM
People who work for you and want different treatment than the other people who work for you because they're related to you.

Kingspoint
12-25-2009, 05:46 AM
I haven't eaten at a fast food place for a meal in over 15 years, that stuff ain't good food at all... so what drives me crazy is the assumption that it's passable as a meal.

Burgerville is. It's healthier than most expensive restaurants as they have a slew of extremely healthy and fresh items. The meat they use in their burgers is Grade-A, local. Just not too long ago they went to a local woman's fresh vege-burgers out of Tualatin when GardenBurger went under. Hers are better and healthier, especially her black bean burger. Their smoked-salmon salad with Hazelnuts and tangerines is excellent.

Burgerville is also 10 times cleaner than any of the fancier restaurants, especially any of the places where "hip" people work. "Hip" people's working habits leaves a lot of disease around their "trendy" restaurants, repeatedly giving them low scores from the health departments, especially places like MacMeniman's, or most of the places along Alberta Street and Mississippi Avenue.

The best place in town for quality food is "The Gild" on Broadway and Everett. The better your gourmet tastes, the better you can appreciate them.

westofyou
12-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Burgerville is. It's healthier than most expensive restaurants as they have a slew of extremely healthy and fresh items. The meat they use in their burgers is Grade-A, local. Just not too long ago they went to a local woman's fresh vege-burgers out of Tualatin when GardenBurger went under. Hers are better and healthier, especially her black bean burger. Their smoked-salmon salad with Hazelnuts and tangerines is excellent.

Burgerville is also 10 times cleaner than any of the fancier restaurants, especially any of the places where "hip" people work. "Hip" people's working habits leaves a lot of disease around their "trendy" restaurants, repeatedly giving them low scores from the health departments, especially places like MacMeniman's, or most of the places along Alberta Street and Mississippi Avenue.

The best place in town for quality food is "The Gild" on Broadway and Everett. The better your gourmet tastes, the better you can appreciate them.
True Burgerville is a different beast as far as fast food, but I still find it fast foodish in my hands and my stomach. I'm more of SE of town guy and find Alberta street and Mississippi Street not only out of the way but not worth going to for food, there is nothing there I can't get down here including probably germs. Mcmeniamins I just don't eat at, boring menu not good food, over carbonated beer, (great venues and redone buildings though).

I don't do meat, so most fast food and their food types don't draw me to their venues, but I love mexican and asian food so I've seen some places that are similar to the scary hipster infused germ factories you mentioned, the world unfortunately has them from McD's to Spagos.

So... back to the subjest, things that drive me crazy.

Hipster waiters and waitresses that serve food indifferently because they really don't want to be in food service.

That's what drives me crazy.

Kingspoint
12-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Love going by that Italian place on 28th and Clinton, forgot it's name, but the garlic smell makes me hungry every time I pass.

Seriously, try "The Gild", if you get a chance. I figured you were vege from your previous description. Still haven't accepted Tofurkey as a meal, yet.

Do you do quiche or are you egg-free, too?

TeamCasey
12-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Yes, but would you really want to eat the food after that? I'm envisioning a little fast food worker revenge.

westofyou
12-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Love going by that Italian place on 28th and Clinton, forgot it's name, but the garlic smell makes me hungry every time I pass.

Seriously, try "The Gild", if you get a chance. I figured you were vege from your previous description. Still haven't accepted Tofurkey as a meal, yet.

My mom made me an onion quiche for dinner tonight!

Tofurkey is good as sandwich meat, but doesn't go the full distance as a replacement.

pedro
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Sub Rosa. I live about 10 blocks from there.

Kingspoint
12-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Sub Rosa. I live about 10 blocks from there.

I'd be eating there once a week.

It's like living within 1 miles of the Nabisco plant or somewhere near Franz Bakery. Love that vanilla smell from the Nabisco plant.

Redsfan320
12-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, but would you really want to eat the food after that? I'm envisioning a little fast food worker revenge.

LOL. Hmm.. never thought about that before.
:beerme:

Tony Cloninger
01-02-2010, 02:41 AM
I want to hear the reasons some people are driven crazy by "Law & Order"....I just spent several minutes going from page 25 to the end and I never got the answer. ;)

Dom Heffner
01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I want to hear the reasons some people are driven crazy by "Law & Order"....I just spent several minutes going from page 25 to the end and I never got the answer. ;)

I can't resist, even though you put a winkie up.

It's the same episode, time after time: Dead body found before opening credits, the investigators then begin to ask questions of a witness, who invariably says they know absolutely nothing, except for "maybe this one little detail" that ends up being so obviously vital that you realize the writers always add the "I don't know anything" part so the viewer doesn't catch on that the investigators here never ever run into anybody who truly knows absolutely nothing.

Then they capture the guy, who then gets convicted, though sometimes they do let him off the hook through a legal loophole. It's never in any doubt that they guy they are holding did it, because this group of witnesses that didn't know anything never gets it wrong.

The criminal will play mind games with the cops, sneers, makes excuses about his childhood, but lo and behold, this is the guy, and we know this becuase everytime he talks, there is the Law and Order dramatic music that refuses to change pitch or tone: "Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

On the special victims unit series, if there is a child anytime, anyplace, you can rest assured that child will be sitting down, drawing pictures of some sort of sexual abuse that happened, and the detective will say, "Did so and so touch you?" Pause. "Where did he touch you?" All the while that droning dramatic music is playing, while we await the answer from the child, as if the music, the title of the freaking show, the pictures, don't tell us already that yes, so and so touched him or her "down there."

The character that Vincent D' Nofrio plays is always the smartest man in the room, he knows everything about everything, his mind games always work, he's a genius, and that poor actress who plays alongside of him is forced to recite lines like, "How do you know that?", though they sometimes let her have the zinger at the end, when she walks by the criminal and lets loose with such a lame "gotcha" cliche that, if I were the criminal, would bring to my mind Steve Martin, in "Roxanne," where the guy in the bar calls him "big nose":

"Oh, you can think of something better?"

And channeling Jimmy Carter, Steve Martin says, "Yeah, I think I can think of something betta."

And you have to love the "Torn from the headlines" episodes. The writers have admitted that their stories are so tired that they have to write a story that has already played out in the media, so we can watch the ballad of Mary Kay Latorneau play out with that "wahhhhhhhhhhhhh" tone over the recitation of sexual trysts. "Did she touch you down there?" Well, of course she did, didn't you catch the story in the news and NBC's teaser that this was torn from the headlines?

You also have to love when NBC claims an "All New" Law and Order. This is false advertising, as there is no such thing as an all new Law and Order. You could play repeats, and nobody could tell the difference, save for those poor souls who watch the marathons on TNT or USA.

I tell you, there are things that break your soul in this life, but I can't think of anything more depressing than pushing the "Guide" button on my remote and seeing 48 straight hours of Law and Order cued up, knowing that I will have to make a mental note to avoid the channel perpetrating this travesty upon mankind.

Tony Cloninger
01-02-2010, 09:43 AM
The SUV ones...i have never liked. The 2 main characters are such caricatures of "tough cop" roles. They seem to enjoy writing about the most perverse thing available and Ice T really is a bad actor...to me.

Yes...the music does the dead give away...way too much. I think the use of music in most shows and movies should be removed. Keep it quiet and let me figure out what is going on myself.

The original L & O lost it's bite after the the 1996-1999 years. Those years were the peak for me.

They can still do some smart shows and while sometimes it could be predictable...it is still a better drama than anything after CSI and Lost on regular TV.
You talk about terrible spin offs from a great show... CSI has got that hands down to me.

Dom Heffner
01-02-2010, 09:54 AM
The SUV ones...i have never liked. The 2 main characters are such caricatures of "tough cop" roles. They seem to enjoy writing about the most perverse thing available and Ice T really is a bad actor...to me.

Yes...the music does the dead give away...way too much. I think the use of music in most shows and movies should be removed. Keep it quiet and let me figure out what is going on myself.

The original L & O lost it's bite after the the 1996-1999 years. Those years were the peak for me.

They can still do some smart shows and while sometimes it could be predictable...it is still a better drama than anything after CSI and Lost on regular TV.
You talk about terrible spin offs from a great show... CSI has got that hands down to me.

I'm not the one to ask- I have a Law and Order phobia that stems from one of my exes, who watched this show so much that I developed a nervous tic.

Tony Cloninger
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe your fear of your ex-girlfriend is the root of all this phobia? ;)

Falls City Beer
01-02-2010, 02:06 PM

I agree about the food wait, but let's be honest: in customer service, out of sight is out of mind. Everyone knows this, so you have to, in entirely too many circumstances, ha-rumph and stand your ground until you're taken care of. I do it all the time.

frenetic wave
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
If huffing and puffing is what you need to do to make yourself feel control in the situation, and you aren't ruining anyone's else's experience, then go ahead. But if you start involving other customers in an effort to magnify the drama and then pass off the blame to the restaurant who forgot your fries then I truly hope a second huffier and puffier customer comes along and engages you in a no holds barred battle of huffs/puffs.

Falls City Beer
01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
If huffing and puffing is what you need to do to make yourself feel control in the situation, and you aren't ruining anyone's else's experience, then go ahead. But if you start involving other customers in an effort to magnify the drama and then pass off the blame to the restaurant who forgot your fries then I truly hope a second huffier and puffier customer comes along and engages you in a no holds barred battle of huffs/puffs.

Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about: you call into the pharmacy to have your scripts filled and you give them the amount of time they ask for for them to fill your script. You come in at the appointed time, and the person who is supposed to be helping you says that they haven't had a chance to fill it, so they ask you to stand aside while the pharmacist fills it; meanwhile, that same person begins waiting on the next five customers, each with his or her own set of gripes and complaints--all the while, forgetting that you even existed. That's what I'm talking about: take care of me, then take care of them. Why should I have to wait 20 minutes for something they screwed up?

Yachtzee
01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Drama shows where they are supposedly focusing on a particular field like life in a hospital, police department, law firm or some other part of life where they run out of script ideas based on the original premise for the show and start creating and blowing up any and all relationships between the characters. ER was a classic example. It went from being a hospital drama to a soap opera where no one was allowed to have a healthy relationship with someone else. Anytime someone found love on the show, it invariably ended with someone cheating on the other or someone dying. I hate soap operas. If a show goes long enough for them to change focus from the original premise to a relationship show, maybe it's time to face facts that you've run out of script ideas and need to end the series. It's right up there with sitcoms giving us the "Very Special..." episode on my pet peeve list. I almost prefer reality shows these days because at least I don't have to worry about some lame episode where Simon and Paula have a breakdown in their secret love affair because their love child had developed leukemia.

Dom Heffner
01-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Drama shows where they are supposedly focusing on a particular field like life in a hospital, police department, law firm or some other part of life where they run out of script ideas based on the original premise for the show and start creating and blowing up any and all relationships between the characters. ER was a classic example. It went from being a hospital drama to a soap opera where no one was allowed to have a healthy relationship with someone else. Anytime someone found love on the show, it invariably ended with someone cheating on the other or someone dying. I hate soap operas. If a show goes long enough for them to change focus from the original premise to a relationship show, maybe it's time to face facts that you've run out of script ideas and need to end the series. It's right up there with sitcoms giving us the "Very Special..." episode on my pet peeve list. I almost prefer reality shows these days because at least I don't have to worry about some lame episode where Simon and Paula have a breakdown in their secret love affair because their love child had developed leukemia.

The aforementioned ex watched TNT so much that when they showed ER, all I could hear was that awful heart rate machine nonstop.

Once your ear picks it up, you can't shake it.

Caveat Emperor
01-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Drama shows where they are supposedly focusing on a particular field like life in a hospital, police department, law firm or some other part of life where they run out of script ideas based on the original premise for the show and start creating and blowing up any and all relationships between the characters.

Which is, to tie this back to Law and Order, one of the things that definitely separates it from the rest of television -- the showrunners make no secret of the fact that they're less interested in their characters than they are in the story being told.

Any "character development" on the show is done through the crimes / trials being conducted. There are rarely "out of the office" moments for any character on the show. You never delve deep into relationships, family, or what makes these people tick.

redsfandan
01-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Yippee. A show can work that's focused on the plot or the characters. But when it gets to the point where there's a similar show on all the time (Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, NCIS, Bones, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, Numb3rs, The Mentalist, etc, etc, etc... ) it get's a little old.

Tv is saturated with crime shows and reality shows. Some are better than others. That's not alot of variety though. Are they predictable? Yeah, I'd have to agree with Dom on that. And it's kinda funny when you're watching a crime show and you realize that the plot is alot like what you saw on another crime show just a few days before. I guess it's a good thing we have a million channels now so we might find something different worth watching.

Tony Cloninger
01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I brought that up a few months back as well.....this is now how it was in the 90's with the Sienfeld clone sitcoms and like the 80's with the Cosby/Family Ties type shows.

It is getting tiresome but it is still better than reality shows. The originals can stay.....you at least have to do away with CSI Miami. That appeals to the TMZ/MTV crowd i guess...it has to be. It is all bright with shiny colors and pretty people.
I like Criminal Minds in the dialogue aspect and stories but some of the editing and acting in it can be really bad at times.

I ended watching way too much ER when i was out on disability with a broken hand last year. It started from 1996 and by the time i was ready to come back to work...the show was into the 2003 season. Besides the characters that had changed....the shows were becoming implausible and downright irritating in regards to real life dramas. It was more like a singles bar to me at times. Kovach was the new Clooney...but all he really wanted was a relationship? He wanted to get laid all the time...and the women were more than happy to oblige. Can Dr. Greene have more stuff happen to him than anyone possible..in real life? I would not wish that on Willy Taveras. Dr. Romano would have been fired or killed by everyone in real life for his behavior. They replace the Benton character with a doctor from the bad side of the tracks...who also happens to be African American...but also agree to bring in another Benton clone but with more compassion in Gallant.

The writer who started this off had some great stories about ER happenings but after a while that ends and you can only have enough people come in with rare cases (every day practically?) or strange things attached or embedded in them.

Redsfan320
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
you at least have to do away with CSI Miami.

Ha-ha. This is a favorite of mine. Along with NCIS. Both of them good shows. They could do away with most of the rest however. (although I don't mind The Mentalist or SVU eiter)

westofyou
01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I have never seen a CSI or Law and Order in my life... yet here I am.

Amazing isn't it?

Tony Cloninger
01-03-2010, 01:43 PM
CSI Miami....it turns decent actors into really bad ones. I know that the blonde CSI can act. I have seen her on West Wing but on that show she recites lines as if she Bill Belichick at a press conference.
The NCIS one...I think just based on that guy who plays the obligatory eye candy for the ladies...the tall, smug guy...just on that i really dislike that show. That guy is so unlikable and part of that formula. You got the cool leader who has his quirks but is respected for his leadership or brain. You got the eye candy for the males and females....then the really weird and nerdy science people to fill out the rest.

Rojo
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
CSI Miami....it turns decent actors into really bad ones. I know that the blonde CSI can act. I have seen her on West Wing but on that show she recites lines as if she Bill Belichick at a press conference.

One of the worst shows I've ever seen. The acting's bad, the plot-lines ludicrous, the dialogue stupid, even the orange-drenched photography is ridiculous.

Redsfan320
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
You got the cool leader who has his quirks but is respected for his leadership or brain. You got the eye candy for the males and females....then the really weird and nerdy science people to fill out the rest.

Yeah! Great show, huh. :cool:

SunDeck
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
The guy at my work, using our wifi, who doesn't start shutting down until about two minutes after the closing announcement. This, despite our ample warning announcement at 15 before the hour. Next Sunday, I'm turning the router off at closing time.

This dude really drives me crazy.

Yachtzee
01-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Amazing isn't it?

If only they someone smart enough to come up with a show like Dr. Who and a network with the guts to air it. That is not to say that I'd like to see a network hire a bunch of writers to rewrite Dr. Who scripts to make it more palatable for the American audience.

Caveat Emperor
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
If only they someone smart enough to come up with a show like Dr. Who and a network with the guts to air it. That is not to say that I'd like to see a network hire a bunch of writers to rewrite Dr. Who scripts to make it more palatable for the American audience.

Except for the last two -- the ending to this past "year of specials" was just a train wreck.

I'm really stoked for Moffat to start handling the show. His episodes have been amazing and he seems to have a real feel for balancing the show between family-friendly stuff and really introspective sci-fi. "The Girl in the Fireplace" is probably one of the two or three best episodes in the 40+ year history of the show.

Roy Tucker
01-05-2010, 08:02 AM
The guy at my work, using our wifi, who doesn't start shutting down until about two minutes after the closing announcement. This, despite our ample warning announcement at 15 before the hour. Next Sunday, I'm turning the router off at closing time.

This dude really drives me crazy.

On a related note, when you go to a place like Panera and there is some person with a laptop doing work and takes up a whole booth or 4 place table when the restaurant is full and people are waiting for tables to open up. They may have bought a cup of coffee 3-4 hours earlier but have long since finished. Move along, people.

Kingspoint
01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
The NCIS one...I think just based on that guy who plays the obligatory eye candy for the ladies...the tall, smug guy...just on that i really dislike that show. That guy is so unlikable and part of that formula. You got the cool leader who has his quirks but is respected for his leadership or brain. You got the eye candy for the males and females....then the really weird and nerdy science people to fill out the rest.

Yes. Shows like that (or any other really) are all about the writers. You can really tell when the writers change.

Kingspoint
01-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Jerry Orbach's character is (was) my favorite police detective of all time. Orbach was a great actor. Having did stage work for most of his life in NYC, he had NYC down to perfection. He was actually a really good singer, but you'd never know that from his role on L & O.

redsfandan
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
When you shake the parmesan cheese canister to break up the cheese and the other half of the lid opens up (the very open half) and parmesan cheese ends up everywhere. I'm not sure that there was an easy way to explain that I didn't have a bad case of dandruff that day.

RFS62
01-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Amazing isn't it?

Nor have I.

cincinnati chili
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
WOY and 62: The old law and orders are worth watching if you're stuck in a hotel somewhere and you like hard boiled detective stories (first half our) and courtroom dramas (second half hour). CSI is not worth watching under any circumstances.

Law students: watching law and order will improve your criminal procedure grade. I kid you not.

Rojo
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
WOY and 62: The old law and orders are worth watching if you're stuck in a hotel somewhere and you like hard boiled detective stories (first half our) and courtroom dramas (second half hour). CSI is not worth watching under any circumstances.

Law students: watching law and order will improve your criminal procedure grade. I kid you not.

Agreed, the original Law and Order is a pretty good police and court procedural. The CSI franchise is just junk.

texasdave
05-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Mandatory drop-down menus that take longer to use than if you simply typed in the correct response. (E.G. state, year of birth, etc.)

I know, I know. I have a great life if that is my biggest pet peeve. =)

OldRightHander
05-17-2010, 03:31 PM
The toolbar of the month club. No, I don't want to install another toolbar at the top of my browser. Can't there just be a no toolbar setting in the computer that will automatically disable every single application you use from wanting to install a toolbar on your browser?

SunDeck
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
My poor dad seems to have trouble saying no to toolbars. Seems like I end up uninstalling a few every time I visit him because he's only got half a visible content window.

Roy Tucker
05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
IT deciding to download an update to your laptop that mandates a reboot while you are in the middle of something important.

SunDeck
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Nothing is more important that updating your computer Roy. :)

Screwball
05-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Not sure if anybody else said this or not, but it bothers me to no end when people say "literally" when it's not actually happening. It's even worse when they emphasize literally, like they're showing you they know how it's supposed to be used, and then still misuse it.

At the Reds game on Sunday I heard some guy saying, "I love the Reds so much I LITERALLY have baseball in my blood." Dude, unless you took a fourseamer to the gut and have it forever lodged in there, you don't literally have baseball in your blood.

OldRightHander
05-18-2010, 01:24 AM
That literally drives me up the wall.

SunDeck
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
It drives me crazy when Redszoners say things like "As I've said many times on this board...", or "I've pointed out before...".

Calling attention to your own brilliance when one of your thoughts or predictions actually pans out is just bad form (as I've pointed out many times before...:))

nate
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
It drives me crazy when Redszoners say things like "As I've said many times on this board...", or "I've pointed out before...".

Calling attention to your own brilliance when one of your thoughts or predictions actually pans out is just bad form (as I've pointed out many times before...:))

So basically, you want to eliminate 99% of the posts?

:cool:

SunDeck
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
So basically, you want to eliminate 99% of the posts?

I think it's more like 85%.

11larkin11
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I really have no why, but it really annoys me when people capitalize all the letter in REDS. (Looking at you, Kingspoint.)

nate
05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I think it's more like 85%.

As I've said many times, that number is literally out of thin air and I can back it up as soon as the menu on my 12th toolbar opens!

Trace's Daddy
05-18-2010, 02:56 PM
A few things that drive me crazy:
- People who type "then" instead of "than".. I suck at some words, but the then/than mixup really bothers me for some reason.
- People who complain about other people complaining.
- Unsolicited advice.."what you need to do is..."

Screwball
05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
:D

Well done, fellas. Literally. I think.

Roy Tucker
05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
People that type "alot" as one word. Its 2 words, folks, "a" and "lot".

Trace's Daddy
05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Not sure if anybody else said this or not, but it bothers me to no end when people say "literally" when it's not actually happening. It's even worse when they emphasize literally, like they're showing you they know how it's supposed to be used, and then still misuse it.

At the Reds game on Sunday I heard some guy saying, "I love the Reds so much I LITERALLY have baseball in my blood." Dude, unless you took a fourseamer to the gut and have it forever lodged in there, you don't literally have baseball in your blood.

Recently Reverend Wright let loose with this gem: "When Obama threw me under the bus, he threw me under the bus literally!"

Falls City Beer
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
A huge telephone-pole sized turd left in the employee restroom. :(

nate
05-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Or substitute "allot" for "a lot."

RichRed
05-18-2010, 03:46 PM

That's cause for dismissal.

Roy Tucker
05-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Or the people that use about 5 of the toilet seat paper liners all stacked up on the seat and then leave them there when done.

Tony Cloninger
05-18-2010, 05:13 PM
TMI FCB! ;)

GAC
05-19-2010, 04:49 AM

Thanks alot! I didn't know that. :mooner:

GAC
05-19-2010, 05:01 AM

Wouldn't be hard finding that culprit. He'd be the one walking pigeon-toed on his tip toes around the office.

OldRightHander
05-19-2010, 06:57 AM
This just happened. I pulled off somewhere to do a serious number 2. When I came into the restroom the urinals were free and both stalls were occupied by guys who were standing up taking a pee. I had a close call there.

Redsfan320
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
When I came into the restroom the urinals were free and both stalls were occupied by guys who were standing up taking a pee.

That's unfortunate. That's what the urinals are for!

thatcoolguy_22
05-22-2010, 07:45 AM
When people say irregardless.

BoydsOfSummer
05-24-2010, 10:42 PM
These new cigarettes that stop burning between hits. I'm paying $6 to kill myself, the damn thing should at least stay lit!

Government regs trying to save me from myself whilst I'm killing myself....Brilliant!

GIDP
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Tall people with short names.

GIDP
05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
These new cigarettes that stop burning between hits. I'm paying $6 to kill myself, the damn thing should at least stay lit!

Government regs trying to save me from myself whilst I'm killing myself....Brilliant!

Wait what are these designed to do?

westofyou
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM

They have ruined the delayed fuse aspect of the bathroom bomb with that move.

KoryMac5
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
When I worked retail someone would always ask me for my employee discount, sorry folks I enjoy being employed.

BoydsOfSummer
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Wait what are these designed to do?

I suppose they are meant to stop me from falling asleep/passing out and burning the place down. They are a pain in the arse (and heart).

RichRed
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
My wife likes to gasp suddenly in the car while I'm driving. I think I'm about to get sideswiped or something but no, she just saw a cute puppy. Drives me nuts.

BRM
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
My wife likes to gasp suddenly in the car while I'm driving. I think I'm about to get sideswiped or something but no, she just saw a cute puppy. Drives me nuts.

My wife does this too and it aggravates me to no end.

RichRed
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM
My wife does this too and it aggravates me to no end.

My mom used to drive my dad insane with this too. I'm sensing a pattern here.

Roy Tucker
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
My mom used to drive my dad insane with this too. I'm sensing a pattern here.

My wife does it too.

I'll be pulling out into traffic and she'll go "OH MY GOD!" at which time I envision an 18 wheeler is millimeters away and death is imminent. But no, it will be because she suddenly realized she left the bathroom light on. I'm left looking for a defribrillator to get my heart started again.

05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
My wife does it too.

I'll be pulling out into traffic and she'll go "OH MY GOD!" at which time I envision an 18 wheeler is millimeters away and death is imminent. But no, it will be because she suddenly realized she left the bathroom light on. I'm left looking for a defribrillator to get my heart started again.

My wife just yells out my name. No clue as to why. I hate it. I tell her to yell to stop, or whatever I need to do, but she just yells, "91!".

KittyDuran
05-26-2010, 07:12 PM
My wife just yells out my name. No clue as to why. I hate it. I tell her to yell to stop, or whatever I need to do, but she just yells, "91!".Look on the bright side at least she didn't call out another man's name like "19!"! ;)

Rojo
05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Look on the bright side at least she didn't call out another man's name like "19!"! ;)

Why would a 91 fear a 19?

05-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Why would a 91 fear a 19?

Yeah, I have 72 more than he does.:)

Roy Tucker
05-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I have 72 more than he does.:)

I bet your mom called you "919191" when you were in big trouble. :)

gonelong
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Lately I am having a tough time tolerating people that smugly dislike anything popular to the general public. Generally this particlar strain of knucklehead is easy to avoid, but I seem to be bumping into more of them lately.

MWM
06-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I HATE traffic lights on busy roads that intersect non-busy roads where you have to wait several minutes before you get a green on the non-busy road. Yes, I get that there's more traffic on the busy street and there should be more green time for that one. But come on!!!! That doesn't mean that people who just miss the light should have to sit there for 4-5 minutes waiting, especially when it's not rush hour. Every minute or two, let it go green for a short period of time so a the few people who are there don't have to wait. this is especially awful where there are arrows involved.

And even worse is when you're at one of these intersections where you DO have to wait forever only to have it turn green for like 3 seconds before it switches back. Either let it turn green more often for short periods of time, or less often for longer. Having both is torture.

MWM
06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Another thing is any newly developed shopping complexes that make it impossible to navigate through. Everything seems to be compartmentalized to the point that there are almost no through areas. I can see the store I want to go to, but it takes several trials and errors before I can finally find my way to their parking area.

And most frustrating is when I'm trying to leave. I know where the road is and can see it, but I wind up hitting 3 dead ends in the parking area before I finally find the one place that will allow me to leave. I long for the olden days when everything was just open and you could enter and leave any way you wanted. This new stuff makes no sense to me. Get off my lawn.

And lastly, not being allowed to turn left. This must be a new thing because I never remember it when I was younger. Down here in Florida, it's ridiculous. They don't beleive in left turns here apparently. I'm constantly having to turn right and then make a U-turn to go the direction I want to go. And it can become very frustrating when the first light after you turn right doesn't allow U-turns. Several times now I've had to turn right, turn left at the next light, pull into some parking lot of some kind, come back out on the street and turn right at the light. Why can't I turn left? Geez!!!!

Roy Tucker
06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I HATE traffic lights on busy roads that intersect non-busy roads where you have to wait several minutes before you get a green on the non-busy road. Yes, I get that there's more traffic on the busy street and there should be more green time for that one. But come on!!!! That doesn't mean that people who just miss the light should have to sit there for 4-5 minutes waiting, especially when it's not rush hour. Every minute or two, let it go green for a short period of time so a the few people who are there don't have to wait. this is especially awful where there are arrows involved.

And even worse is when you're at one of these intersections where you DO have to wait forever only to have it turn green for like 3 seconds before it switches back. Either let it turn green more often for short periods of time, or less often for longer. Having both is torture.

What further drives me up a wall is when you are in line at a light like this and the person first in line falls asleep at the switch and by the time they wake up and realize the light is green, only *they* get through the light and us schlubs behind them have to wait for another iteration.

pedro
06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
What further drives me up a wall is when you are in line at a light like this and the person first in line falls asleep at the switch and by the time they wake up and realize the light is green, only *they* get through the light and us schlubs behind them have to wait for another iteration.

Oh you'd LOVE Portland. ;)

pedro
06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
People who don't "stage" (pull out into intersection) their left hand turns at lights and thus don't allow cars behind them that are going straight the room required to go around them.

Roy Tucker
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Another thing is any newly developed shopping complexes that make it impossible to navigate through. Everything seems to be compartmentalized to the point that there are almost no through areas. I can see the store I want to go to, but it takes several trials and errors before I can finally find my way to their parking area.

And most frustrating is when I'm trying to leave. I know where the road is and can see it, but I wind up hitting 3 dead ends in the parking area before I finally find the one place that will allow me to leave. I long for the olden days when everything was just open and you could enter and leave any way you wanted. This new stuff makes no sense to me. Get off my lawn.

Here it was I thought I was getting old and couldn't find my way out. ;)

I think its the same philosophy as grocery stores who clog the aisles and/or make them difficult to navigate so that you spend more time there and buy more stuff. Like putting milk and bread at the back of the store.

Get off my lawn, indeed!!! Bah, humbug.

OldRightHander
06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Lately I am having a tough time tolerating people that smugly dislike anything popular to the general public. Generally this particlar strain of knucklehead is easy to avoid, but I seem to be bumping into more of them lately.

Usually pertaining to music and movies...oh excuse me...films.

MWM
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Oh yes. If there's a hell for me, that's it.

MWM
06-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Hard butter!!!! This one drives me up a wall.... literally. :evil:

You go to a restaurant and they bring warm bread to the table which I love. Nothing is worse than anticipating nice warm bread and butter just to have the butter be so hard trying to spread it just tears up the bread.

vaticanplum
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Oooohhhhh intersections...I think my biggest driving pet peeve (and I have thousands) is people who blindly go through a light to "get through it" when there's no room and end up blocking the intersection after the light has changed, thus stopping the flow of traffic from at least three directions. This makes me convulse. I have serious road rage problems, most of which could probably be put to rest if people just followed the rules.

SunDeck
06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Oooohhhhh intersections...I think my biggest driving pet peeve (and I have thousands) is people who blindly go through a light to "get through it" when there's no room and end up blocking the intersection after the light has changed, thus stopping the flow of traffic from at least three directions. This makes me convulse. I have serious road rage problems, most of which could probably be put to rest if people just followed the rules.

Isn't that gridlocking, and isn't it actually illegal in many cities?

I am perpetually annoyed with left turn arrows that do not illuminate when I am clearly in the left turn lane. I think it's due to the programming of the switches, so that if I pull up to the light when the cross traffic light is yellow, rather than green, the system will not create the arrow for my lane. It's a "smart system" acting stupid.

Rojo
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Hard butter!!!! This one drives me up a wall.... literally. :evil:

There's nothing better than warm rolls and melty butter. It's a super easy way to please.

Rojo
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
This a large issue -- the subsitution of variety for quality. Instead of offering fifteen types of coffee, why don't you just brew one variety of great coffee?

Americans have gone crazy on this. It gives us the illusion of choice over small matters in a world we're we feel like we have no control over the big stuff.

A Scottish friend of mine was amazed the first time he ordered eggs in America that the waitress asked him how he wanted them. In the UK, you get eggs one way.

Now that sounds a bit rigid but, ironically, the default egg preperation in the UK, a kind of over-medium with a creamy yolk, is how I like it. And nobody here can get it right!

BoydsOfSummer
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Me too...AARGH! My girlyfriend's daughter just got her temps, so I was out taking a learner spin with her the other day. This situation came up and I took the opportunity to make a strong point about the evils of such behaviour. I stopped her before it happened and thoroughly explained the why's and wherefore's. I think she gets it. She's really an excellent driver already.

SunDeck
06-03-2010, 08:07 PM
This a large issue -- the subsitution of variety for quality. Instead of offering fifteen types of coffee, why don't you just brew one variety of great coffee?

Americans have gone crazy on this. It gives us the illusion of choice over small matters in a world we're we feel like we have no control over the big stuff.

A Scottish friend of mine was amazed the first time he ordered eggs in America that the waitress asked him how he wanted them. In the UK, you get eggs one way.

Now that sounds a bit rigid but, ironically, the default egg preperation in the UK, a kind of over-medium with a creamy yolk, is how I like it. And nobody here can get it right!

I was with you until the part about taking food tips from the Scots.

Rojo
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I was with you until the part about taking food tips from the Scots.

Not sure about Scotland but breakfast is generally something the Brits do right.

And I dig toast racks:

http://www.saltandpepper.co.uk/cms_images/product/large_toast-rack1.jpg

Redsfan320
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
the default egg preperation in the UK, a kind of over-medium with a creamy yolk

Yummy! You made me want eggs right now.

RichRed
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Not sure about Scotland but breakfast is generally something the Brits do right.

Maybe, but I could never quite get onboard the baked-beans-for-breakfast train.

reds1869
06-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Maybe, but I could never quite get onboard the baked-beans-for-breakfast train.

I love, love, love beans for breakfast. When I was in England breakfast was my favorite part of the day. Beans, tomatoes, fresh fruit, bangers...it was heaven on a plate.

Falls City Beer
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
The best British food is Indian and Pakistani.

SunDeck
06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
I'll take a good old southern breakfast of grits, ham, biscuits and gravy and eggs anytime.

Here's something driving me crazy today- blame assignment. Specifically, why is it that the uppermost thing in the small mind is to make sure that first everyone understands that they are not to blame for the problem, and second another specific person is at fault, no matter how slight the problem. In the scheme of things, is it important that a you are not to blame for the copier being out of paper? Just refill it and move on, already.

Eleven days from vacation, serenity now.

Falls City Beer
06-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Here's something driving me crazy today- blame assignment. Specifically, why is it that the uppermost thing in the small mind is to make sure that first everyone understands that they are not to blame for the problem, and second another specific person is at fault, no matter how slight the problem. In the scheme of things, is it important that a you are not to blame for the copier being out of paper? Just refill it and move on, already.

In general I agree. But the flip side of the same coin is equally pervasive if not moreso: never admitting fault.

Naive maybe, but I really feel like dodging blame has become more commonplace.

edabbs44
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Leveraging off the breakfast discussion, it drives me crazy that taylor ham is (generally) only found in New Jersey.

OldRightHander
06-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Leveraging off the breakfast discussion, it drives me crazy that taylor ham is (generally) only found in New Jersey.

Or that I have yet to be able to find whole fried clams outside of New England. Everyplace else just has clam strips.

WMR
06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream3&hpt=T2

:(

OldRightHander
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM

I hear you.

Dom Heffner
06-24-2010, 12:03 PM
I hear you.

And it's never, ever going to stop.

Rojo
06-24-2010, 02:08 PM

I was going to add that you can get whole fried oysters in New Orleans. Or at least you used to.

Rojo
06-24-2010, 02:11 PM
BTW, I'm not trying to softpedal the tragedy but this story might make you feel a little better.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h3j4URYrsMh7yj4KTx6vVKjh4w3AD9GFQIS80

More not-so-dreadful context: The amount of oil spilled so far could only fill the cavernous New Orleans Superdome about one-seventh of the way up. On the other hand, it could fill 15 Washington Monuments and two-thirds of the way up a 16th. If the oil were poured on a football field — complete with endzones — it would measure nearly 100 yards high.

Rojo
06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I'll take a good old southern breakfast of grits, ham, biscuits and gravy and eggs anytime.

Me too, even though I'm ok with tomatoes and beans. Mostly I just want over-medium eggs done RIGHT.

BTW: the hiearchy for syrup foods is waffles, pancakes, french toast.

durl
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
BTW, I'm not trying to softpedal the tragedy but this story might make you feel a little better.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h3j4URYrsMh7yj4KTx6vVKjh4w3AD9GFQIS80

More not-so-dreadful context: The amount of oil spilled so far could only fill the cavernous New Orleans Superdome about one-seventh of the way up. On the other hand, it could fill 15 Washington Monuments and two-thirds of the way up a 16th. If the oil were poured on a football field — complete with endzones — it would measure nearly 100 yards high.

I've followed those numbers, too. Interesting to see the perspective.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM

The amount isn't the issue.

At all.

It's the effect of what's there, regardless of the size.

One can simply look at the ocean and see that the spill is small compared to all that water.

I guess if you look at it this way, Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't that big of a deal, relatively speaking.

This argument would be like me spray painting my name on your house and then telling you that relatively speaking, I didn't put that much paint on it.

You know, a little oil in the water has the same effect as a lot, truthfully. It's a mess.

gilpdawg
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM

I have a buddy who will randomly scream "oh my god" going down the road like I'm about to hit something. He's kind of a tool like that.

Dom Heffner
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Here's one for me, and those of you who play fantasy baseball might get this more than others.

People who write articles about the "gambler's fallacy" as it relates to fantasy baseball.

They essentially make the following argument. Say you are sitting at a roulette wheel and we are simply betting on whether the ball will land on red or black. The ball has landed on red 27 times in a row, so that means there is now way that the odds say the 28th time it will happen again, right? Wrong, of course, the odds are still 50/50 because that's what the odds are, regardless of past events.

Now, they take this argument and then apply it to human beings. They say because MarkTeixiera had a bad April and May, that the gambler's fallacy apllies here and says that does not mean he'll have a better rest of the season.

No.

We're talking about human beings, skill sets, emotions, and changing conditions here, not just a wheel with two color options.

Drives me nuts- especially with players who are notorious slow starters.

Rojo
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
The amount isn't the issue.

At all.

It's the effect of what's there, regardless of the size.

One can simply look at the ocean and see that the spill is small compared to all that water.

I guess if you look at it this way, Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't that big of a deal, relatively speaking.

This argument would be like me spray painting my name on your house and then telling you that relatively speaking, I didn't put that much paint on it.

You know, a little oil in the water has the same effect as a lot, truthfully. It's a mess.

Alright relax, you're preaching to the choir. I started the thread on this issue in the peanut gallery so I'm disgusted about it as anyone else.

Caveat Emperor
06-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Here's a new one I can't stand: the belief that you should simply be thankful to have a job and willing to accept any working conditions or pay scale as a result.

I should have every right to be upset that I haven't received a raise in 4 years without someone telling me that it somehow sounds "ungrateful," since I have a job while other people don't.

GAC
06-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Having to stand back 3 ft when using a public urinal because you don't know if that water or what on the floor! :D

And boogers on the stall walls. What a turn off that really kills the mood.

Eric_the_Red
06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Having to stand back 3 ft when using a public urinal because you don't know if that water or what on the floor! :D

And boogers on the stall walls. What a turn off that really kills the mood.

Gross, yes, but what "mood" do you find killed? :laugh:

06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Here's a new one I can't stand: the belief that you should simply be thankful to have a job and willing to accept any working conditions or pay scale as a result.

I should have every right to be upset that I haven't received a raise in 4 years without someone telling me that it somehow sounds "ungrateful," since I have a job while other people don't.

I spent 6 weeks last summer on strike. You should have heard the crap heaved at us. That we should take whatever is offered. And we were striking over temp workers, not money or benefits.

GAC
07-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Gross, yes, but what "mood" do you find killed? :laugh:

Not the one you're thinking of.

At my age I'll just mention one word - Metamucil :p:

Rojo
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
At my age I'll just mention one word - Metamucil :p:

Still one too many.

Caveat Emperor
07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
A fly caught between the blinds and a window.

The buzzing and ever so slight "bumping" sound will drive me insane if I don't manage to kill the fly or get it out of my house.

Caveat Emperor
08-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Bumping this thread because I found a new one:

Websites that require you to have a password that meets some stupid, arbitrary criteria. I had to register for some employee payroll website through work, and the website REQUIRES a password that is:

- Longer than 8 letters
- Uses at least 1 lowercase letter
- Uses at least 1 uppercase letter
- Uses at least 1 symbol
- Uses at least 1 number

I'm never gonig to remember this thing -- which means I'm going to need to write it down somewhere...DEFEATING THE POINT OF A PASSWORD ENTIRELY!

westofyou
08-19-2010, 03:05 PM

Websites that require you to have a password that meets some stupid, arbitrary criteria. I had to register for some employee payroll website through work, and the website REQUIRES a password that is:

- Longer than 8 letters
- Uses at least 1 symbol
- Uses at least 1 number

I'm never gonig to remember this thing -- which means I'm going to need to write it down somewhere...DEFEATING THE POINT OF A PASSWORD ENTIRELY!

Payroll is a touchy subject, we have locks on our HR departments doors, mostly because the keys to the kingdom can be found in the personnel files. The same can be said for cracking into the payroll site. Now granted a symbol and caps required is over the top, but I bet that policy leads to safer site usage. the key is to have a copy of it somewhere on the web that you can access if you can't recall the darn thing.

reds1869
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
I had to create a password like that this morning for a magazine subscription. Really? To access the pdf of a magazine I need an high security password?

westofyou
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I had to create a password like that this morning for a magazine subscription. Really? To access the pdf of a magazine I need an high security password?

The standard is 8 characters at least one numeric.

But then again I write business requirements, ones like that one for a magazine tend to written by developers (if they are odd and obscure) and my mantra is tell the developers what to build, don't let them tell you how they'l build it.

Roy Tucker
08-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Payroll is a touchy subject, we have locks on our HR departments doors, mostly because the keys to the kingdom can be found in the personnel files. The same can be said for cracking into the payroll site. Now granted a symbol and caps required is over the top, but I bet that policy leads to safer site usage. the key is to have a copy of it somewhere on the web that you can access if you can't recall the darn thing.

Yeah, I help manage a commercial customer-facing web site that gives access to sensitive info and financial stuff. Woe be to us if our auditors find out our password policy allows folks to use weak passwords. I'd be looking for a new job.

For my personal passwords, I do stuff like use @ for a, $ for s, 3 for e, etc etc. That was you can have a password like P@$$w0rd.

durl
08-19-2010, 04:37 PM

- Longer than 8 letters
- Uses at least 1 symbol
- Uses at least 1 number

My employer changed password policy some time ago, forcing us to change them more often and make them more complex. I passed this criteria around to others in my department:

1. You must change your network password every 90 days.
2. New passwords must be different from the last four passwords used.
3. Passwords cannot be changed more than once per day.
4. Passwords must have a minimum of seven characters.
5. Passwords must meet at least 14 of the following requirements:
-- Contain English uppercase letters
-- Contain English lowercase letters
-- Contain numerals
-- Contain non-alphabetic characters such as !, #, $ and %
-- Contain a character from a language yet to be invented
-- Include NO references to a member of the insect family
-- Reflect the Classical Prose Movement of the late Tang Dynasty, advocating clarity and precision rather than the florid parallel prose style that had been popular in the Han dynasty.
-- Include a cover letter
-- Must be entered truthfully, completely, and accurately.
-- Mention a member from one of the following: The Three Stooges, Little Rascals, or a briefcase model from "Deal or No Deal."
-- Be double-spaced
-- When read backwards, must rhyme with "peppermint"
-- Must not be resistent to traditional antibiotics
-- Cannot cool a system all the way to absolute zero, thereby violating the third law of thermodynamics
-- Must NEVER include "4,8,15,16,23,42" in sequence
-- Contain no anagrams
-- Avoid any letters used in the name: "Johann Gambolputty de vonAusfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nurnburger-bratwustle-gernspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shonedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm
-- Contain jaunty banter
-- Contain no spaces unless followed directly by a character that meets the above requirement; unless the space is preceeded by a hieroglyph or an image of a moose head.

paintmered
08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
My employer changed password policy some time ago, forcing us to change them more often and make them more complex. I passed this criteria around to others in my department:

1. You must change your network password every 90 days.
2. New passwords must be different from the last four passwords used.
3. Passwords cannot be changed more than once per day.
4. Passwords must have a minimum of seven characters.
5. Passwords must meet at least 14 of the following requirements:
-- Contain English uppercase letters
-- Contain English lowercase letters
-- Contain numerals
-- Contain non-alphabetic characters such as !, #, $ and %
-- Contain a character from a language yet to be invented
-- Include NO references to a member of the insect family
-- Reflect the Classical Prose Movement of the late Tang Dynasty, advocating clarity and precision rather than the florid parallel prose style that had been popular in the Han dynasty.
-- Include a cover letter
-- Must be entered truthfully, completely, and accurately.
-- Mention a member from one of the following: The Three Stooges, Little Rascals, or a briefcase model from "Deal or No Deal."
-- Be double-spaced
-- When read backwards, must rhyme with "peppermint"
-- Must not be resistent to traditional antibiotics
-- Cannot cool a system all the way to absolute zero, thereby violating the third law of thermodynamics
-- Must NEVER include "4,8,15,16,23,42" in sequence
-- Contain no anagrams
-- Avoid any letters used in the name: "Johann Gambolputty de vonAusfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nurnburger-bratwustle-gernspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shonedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm
-- Contain jaunty banter
-- Contain no spaces unless followed directly by a character that meets the above requirement; unless the space is preceeded by a hieroglyph or an image of a moose head.

By any chance, do you have the same employer as I do? This all looks eerily familiar.

KOBasinger
08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
CAPTCHAS!!!! I CANT STAND THEM

and yes, I know they are necessary on some websites.

Caveat Emperor
08-19-2010, 05:38 PM
CAPTCHAS!!!! I CANT STAND THEM

and yes, I know they are necessary on some websites.

There was a thread on SomethingAwful.com's forums (which I can't link, since I'm still at the office) where people photoshopped / MS Painted images to reflect the literal meaning of the two words contained in captchas found around the web.

It was quite hillarious.

Dom Heffner
08-19-2010, 05:44 PM

- Longer than 8 letters
- Uses at least 1 symbol
- Uses at least 1 number

Here, here.

We have 15 passwords in the office that 3 different people use.

It's tough enough coming up with easy to remember passwords without adding a capital letter, pound sign, etc.

To add to this: accounts that suspend after only 3 failed tries.

They block out what I'm typing, so it's pretty easy to mess up. And then you have to call, where they have people sitting there collecting a check just for the 99.99999999999999999% of the time that a password needs to be reset for an authorized user.

Seriously, the password crap affects me everyday.

westofyou
08-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Seriously, the password crap affects me everyday.

I was counting up all the numbers/passwords I use daily and came up with this

My bike locker at work
My Bike Lock in the locker
My Lock for my locker at work
My PW to login at work
My Cell Phone #
My Work Phone #
My Wifes Phone #
My Gmail PW
My Yahoo PW
My Blog PW
My Login for the bank

Then there is online accounts like:

My login for my home mortgage
My Login for DTV
My Login for Comcast
My Login for Sprint

and so on and so on.... it's a wonder I can still remember who played in every World Series.... which I can.

durl
08-19-2010, 05:54 PM
By any chance, do you have the same employer as I do? This all looks eerily familiar.

It would be weird if we work in the same area (maybe 20 people) and didn't know that the other is on Redszone.

I've seen an absurd criteria list somewhere online before but I came up with one in my own inimitable fashion. :)

paintmered
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
It would be weird if we work in the same area (maybe 20 people) and didn't know that the other is on Redszone.

I've seen an absurd criteria list somewhere online before but I came up with one in my own inimitable fashion. :)

I'm in the Dayton area so I know we don't work together. But I do have to remember upwards of 20 super passwords that reset every 30-90 days. So I definitely relate.

I have some strategies I use to remember them all. But I know people who simply write theirs down to have any hope of remembering. Passwords stop being effective at that point.

Roy Tucker
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/08/20/super.passwords/index.html?hpt=T2

Caveat Emperor
08-20-2010, 05:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/08/20/super.passwords/index.html?hpt=T2

What I took from that story: There will be a substantial amount of money out there for the person who invents the next breakthrough in computer security that's simple for the end user.

westofyou
08-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Friend at work says this:

Passwords are so old school. You should really be using passphrases so you eliminate dictionary attacks.

Take a lyric from your favorite Bon Jovi song:

Shot through the heart and you’re to blame

Take the first letter from each and start all lowercased:

stthaytb

Mix uppercase/lowercase/numbers:

$tthay2B

Throw in the current year at the end:

$tthay2B2010

Optionally prefix the year with a special character:

$tthay2b!2010

Every Jan 1, at a minimum, update the year and year prefix:

$tthay2b*2011

WMR
08-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Blizzard has something that is on the cutting edge of account security... it's called an authenticator. You can even download it to your smart phone (or buy the little key fob sized ones they sell). After you type in your password it generates a random 8 digit number that you then type in to gain access to your account.

Something like that could probably do a better job than most traditional passwords, although Blizzard requires a PW as well for extra security.

I have the free version installed to my android phone and it works very, very well.

marcshoe
08-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Friend at work says this:

Passwords are so old school. You should really be using passphrases so you eliminate dictionary attacks.

Take a lyric from your favorite Bon Jovi song:

Shot through the heart and you’re to blame

Take the first letter from each and start all lowercased:

stthaytb

Mix uppercase/lowercase/numbers:

$tthay2B

Throw in the current year at the end:

$tthay2B2010

Optionally prefix the year with a special character:

$tthay2b!2010

Every Jan 1, at a minimum, update the year and year prefix:

$tthay2b*2011

But that's not my favorite Bon Jovi Song. :p:

SunDeck
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Something like that could probably do a better job than most traditional passwords, although Blizzard requires a PW as well for extra security.

The password generator requires a password? That's like looking at yourself in one of those fun house mirrors where you are reflected into infinity.

Rojo
08-23-2010, 04:28 PM
I just wish that they'd remind you of the requirements on the login page. If they'd say "one cap, three letters required", I'd instanly know which password variation to use.

westofyou
08-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I just wish that they'd let remind you of the requirements on the login page. If they'd say "one cap, three letters required", I'd instanly know which password variation to use.

We tend to not do that on our healthcare sites to diffuse possible phishing. generic error message at login, once past login personalized snippets.

George Anderson
08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
nm