PDA

View Full Version : The Rays are looking for a superutility guy and

fewfirstchoice
01-11-2008, 04:24 AM
The Rays are looking for a utility guy and a left hanf]ded reliever and want to do it via the trade route.I say send them Bray and Freel or Keppinger for Baldeli(sp).He would be Cincys starting CF.Then Send Votto,Cueto,Belisle,and Stubbs to the Os for Bedard.We coulds then play Dunn at 1st to take Vottos place and play JR,Rocco,and Bruce in the OF.Have a rotation of Harang,Bedard,Arroyo,Bailey,and Volquez.Looks like a nice lineup to me.

BEETTLEBUG
01-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Dunn won't play first, think Griffey will?

Mr.MojoRisin
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
I would hate to see us loose Freel though, I think out of all of them we need to keep him and Griffey.

smoke6
01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
The Rays are looking for a utility guy and a left hanf]ded reliever and want to do it via the trade route.I say send them Bray and Freel or Keppinger for Baldeli(sp).He would be Cincys starting CF.Then Send Votto,Cueto,Belisle,and Stubbs to the Os for Bedard.We coulds then play Dunn at 1st to take Vottos place and play JR,Rocco,and Bruce in the OF.Have a rotation of Harang,Bedard,Arroyo,Bailey,and Volquez.Looks like a nice lineup to me.

I was on board until you mentioned sending Votto, Cueto, etc. to the O's for Bedard. Votto (even as a rookie) is an instant upgrade at 1B. The Dunn at 1B ship as sailed IMO.

Nasty_Boy
01-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I would hate to see us loose Freel though, I think out of all of them we need to keep him and Griffey.

Why is Freel so important? What does he bring to the team that others don't? In my opinion he's the 25th man on the roster right now.

Nasty_Boy
01-11-2008, 09:45 AM

Baldeli hasn't proved he can stay healthy and I'm no so sure you can expect more from him than Bruce in CF. And if I'm sending those guys to TB, I'm asking for an arm in return.

ChatterRed
01-11-2008, 10:36 AM

.....and then trade EE, Phillips. Gonzalez, Keppinger, and KGJ to the Twins for Santana. Throw in Bruce, Bailey and Cueto to seal the deal!!!! :thumbdown

FreelFanatic
01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Why is Freel so important? What does he bring to the team that others don't? In my opinion he's the 25th man on the roster right now.

My handle notwithstanding, this is the most ridiculous post ever. You're telling me that your "roster ratings" has a Mike Stanton, a Juan Castro, a Sergio Valenzuela (if he makes the club...or whoever is the 11th/12th pitcher if he doesn't), a fifth outfielder, whoever that may be (who obviously is after the fourth outfielder, which in this case may be Freel), etc., are 22nd-23rd-24th, however you're going to put it? True, Freel struggled last season as a part-time starter, but two years ago, people on here were clamboring for him to have a bigger role. I'm not saying he's the key to a possible postseason run, and honestly, I'd like him to go back to his super-utility role and have someone like a Jay Bruce earn the spot, if not a Norris Hopper. But to say he's the 25 man is giving him too little credit.

mound_patrol
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM

Freel at best if the last position player I have on the roster. Castro would be off my roster as would stanton. So Freel would probably be the 25th man in my opinion too. Dunn, Bruce, Jr, and Hopper are all better than Freel. and I don't play Freel over anyone in the infield.

Bip Roberts
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Freel is fine as a bench player, hes possibly the best bench player in the majors

Krawhitham
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
freel and Stanton?

FreelFanatic
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Freel is fine as a bench player, hes possibly the best bench player in the majors

I agree. And you play the hand that's hot...if he's spraying the ball all over the field like he can do for various stretches at a time, throw him in the leadoff spot and let him go. If not, he's a great late-inning defensive replacement and sometimes good in a pinch. These are not qualities of the team's 25th man, who in recent years has included such luminaries as Chad Moeller, Juan Castro and Wily Mo Pena (when they had to keep him on the roster and he batted .218).

Orenda
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
With the addition of Keppinger I think Freel's value isn't as high as it once was for the reds. It seems Freel will have to get most of his playing time in the OF this upcoming season where I'd rather have Hopper. He hit .143 vs. lefties last season and he was prone to being over-aggressive on the basepaths. I would give Tampa Bay a call and gauge their interest in him, their farm system is stacked.

Brian
01-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Most are attracted to the way Freel plays, with passion and vigor. I really like him as a bench player, late innings defense replacement, base-runner, etc. As some have noted though, he can be crazy on the base paths, but we need to see a higher conversation ratio in 2008. And we all know he needs rest to be at his best. This year, the situation is setting up for him to be in that super-sub role, where he should be a success. Debate his pay all you want, but if you're in contention deep into the year, this is a great kind of guy to have on the roster.

*BaseClogger*
01-11-2008, 04:12 PM

:thumbdown

bounty37h
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
So, ya make that trade, then who do you trade to get a center fielder a week into the season when Rocco is done for the year? I like him when he's onthe field, but man, you thought Hammy was a injury liability, this dude cant pee wihtout tearing something.

Nasty_Boy
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
My handle notwithstanding, this is the most ridiculous post ever. You're telling me that your "roster ratings" has a Mike Stanton, a Juan Castro, a Sergio Valenzuela (if he makes the club...or whoever is the 11th/12th pitcher if he doesn't), a fifth outfielder, whoever that may be (who obviously is after the fourth outfielder, which in this case may be Freel), etc., are 22nd-23rd-24th, however you're going to put it? True, Freel struggled last season as a part-time starter, but two years ago, people on here were clamboring for him to have a bigger role. I'm not saying he's the key to a possible postseason run, and honestly, I'd like him to go back to his super-utility role and have someone like a Jay Bruce earn the spot, if not a Norris Hopper. But to say he's the 25 man is giving him too little credit.

If this team is serious about winning, Castro and Stanton aren't on this team. Unless Freel is traded he is not as good as Hopper or Keppinger, both of whom fill the utility OF and INF role. I guess if Valenzuela makes the team then Freel moves up to #24. He honestly brings nothing more than the other guys to make the Reds a more competitive team. You can't count on him to stay healthy, he doesn't hit lefties, he's a terrible baserunner, he swings at too many pitches, and he's only an average outfielder. If I'm going to have a "scrappy" utility guy on my team, at least give me one that can hit a little bit.

HalMorrisRules
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Trade Freel and some other suitable component to TB for Jim Shields and forget about going after Bedard.

*BaseClogger*
01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Trade Freel and some other suitable component to TB for Jim Shields and forget about going after Bedard.

:thumbup: ......(in our collective dreams!)

Bip Roberts
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Id rather trade freel for Garza

*BaseClogger*
01-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Id rather trade freel for Garza

:eek:

Bip Roberts
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
we can even throw in some random double a guys

*BaseClogger*
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
we can even throw in some random double a guys

:eek:

Vada Pinson Fan
01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Given what Freel and Hopper have done in the past in centerfield (a better than average job, imo) and what Bruce may bring to the position in 2008, I pass on Rocco Baldelli. We need a starting pitcher, hopefully a #1 or 2 type starter. Beyond starting pitching, I would want to address the relief corps and the catcher position before I would trade for a centerfielder.

The Reds traded Josh Hamilton because they believed they had a surplus at the position.

Why are so many here wanting to trade away our "future" core players such as Votto, Bailey and Cueto not to mention Bruce? Now if Tampa wants to talk about Kazmir for a fair price; OK. But I still don't break the bank to get Kazmir. I applaud Wayne Krivsky's patience so far. Many here seemingly would have gutted the Reds by now. Let's actually see what we have by getting these youngs guys involved/playing on the Reds major league roster for 2008.

I agree- Ryan Freel isn't the 25th man on the team. In terms of worth I'd rate Freel ahead of Stanton-#25, Castro-#24, Coffey-#23, Majewski-#22, McBeth-#21, then comes Freel at #20. Just my opinion.

AmarilloRed
01-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Why would we trade for Baldelli when he is a free agent in 2009?

jnwohio
01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
I agree- Ryan Freel isn't the 25th man on the team. In terms of worth I'd rate Freel ahead of Stanton-#25, Castro-#24, Coffey-#23, Majewski-#22, McBeth-#21, then comes Freel at #20. Just my opinion.

I think when you talk about " the 25th man", that is usually in terms of position players. Referring to pitchers it is often stated as the "12 man" or just plain "last spot".

I think Freel is the 25th man at best. My biggest knock on him is that after 4 or 5 years, he still shows poor judgement in the field and on the bases. And he is not a very good situational hitter to say the least.

I think Hopper and Keppinger play a sounder game; and in Hopper's case with clearly superior physical tools.

keeganbrick
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM

......................:confused:

Stephenk29
01-14-2008, 01:07 AM
I'd avoid Baldelli like the plague, because he carries it year to year.

namichael
01-14-2008, 07:28 AM

This is my first post on RedsZone. I must say that is it a welcome change to see Reds' fans that are still on board with Freel playing some sort of roll with the team. It seems that before his injuries this season everyone was pro Freel and loving his all out style of playing, but when he got hurt it appeared that most wrote him off and turned their backs on him. I feel that he still has a great deal of talent and will continue to contribute in a positive manner.

flash
01-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Freel, Ross, and Bray for Shields and C John Jaso. That way you pick a starting pitcher and a good prospect for catcher. Remeber the Rays still owe the Reds for Brendan Harris. The Reds could also throw in Smit.

Stephenk29
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Freel, Ross, and Bray for Shields and C John Jaso. That way you pick a starting pitcher and a good prospect for catcher. Remeber the Rays still owe the Reds for Brendan Harris. The Reds could also throw in Smit.

I think it would take quite a bit more than that to acquire Shields.