PDA

View Full Version : Live or Memorex?

Chip R
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I was listening to some music last night and just was thinking about some songs that were released both in studio and live and wanted to see if anyone had some opinions on certain songs that were better live than when it was made in the studio.

bucksfan2
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
As long as it is a quality live version I go live every time. Most of the time the quality of the song is better memorex but I still like the live versions.

Chip R
01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
As long as it is a quality live version I go live every time. Most of the time the quality of the song is better memorex but I still like the live versions.

Do you have any specific examples you'd like to share with the class? ;)

01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
By live are you talking officially released live albums? Or just an artist's reputation.

This is somewhat addressed in a song.

My new stuff is nothing like my old stuff was
And neither one is much when compared to this show
Which will not be as good as some other one you saw
So help me I know, I know

01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Oops- I reread your first post. You did say released.

Todd Snider has a 2 live ones called Near Truths and Hotel Rooms, and Live at Grimey's. His stuff is always better live.

vaticanplum
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I tend to prefer recorded versions. There's a reason songs are reworked in the studio and a reason that good producers and mixers are brought in to help. Generally what an artist releases is the best version of a song s/he can produce, musically speaking.

What I love about live music is the energy and transience of it, so to put that on tape kind of defeats the purpose for me. It's often sub-par musically to the recorded version and so in the absence of the electric live environment its best points are muted. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Chip R
01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I think Midnight Rambler live from Get Your Ya Yas Out is better than the studio release from Let It Bleed. The energy on that was just something else.

westofyou
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Live Music is better - bumper stickers should be issued.

I hate musicians playing "Licks"

Neil Young

01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I downloaded a Dire Straits show once. It sounded almost like their studio recordings. .

01-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I've got copies of alot of shows from artists that I've never even heard their studio stuff, like Billy Joe Shaver and Townes V S.

Yachtzee
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
The live version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" is way better than the studio version.

westofyou
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
The live version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" is way better than the studio version.

That's because they wimped out in the studio on that mix... but Surrender on the next album is as good as the live version.

BTW, I'm listening to Budakon right this moment.

westofyou
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I've got copies of alot of shows from artists that I've never even heard their studio stuff, like Billy Joe Shaver and Townes V S.

Shaver live blows doors off Shaver studio stuff, Smiths Live is proof of that.

Willie is better live then studio, but he tries more on the road anyway.

IslandRed
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I tend to prefer recorded versions. There's a reason songs are reworked in the studio and a reason that good producers and mixers are brought in to help. Generally what an artist releases is the best version of a song s/he can produce, musically speaking.

It kinds of depends on the artist and the recording environment, though. Some performers feed off the energy from a crowd and reach heights they can't reproduce at will in a studio.

It may also have something to do with which version comes first. If they've been bouncing a song off live audiences for awhile and then go into the studio to record it, they can draw on that feedback to make the best studio version possible. If they record it first and then start playing it live, the live version sometimes goes places they never dreamed of in the studio.

RedFanAlways1966
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
"Running on Empty" - Jackson Browne

Raisor
01-11-2008, 09:21 PM

I don't think I've ever heard the studio version. I still don't know what the crowd is chanting at the band.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Jason Mraz is an awesome live artist. I have a few of his live accoustic songs.

IslandRed
01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the studio version. I still don't know what the crowd is chanting at the band.

Me neither, but then, I don't speak Japanese.

klw
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
The studio album is a great introduction but live recordings really can take the song to a whole new level. Witness "Prove it All Night" circa 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vUKBOJ5sU

Raisor
01-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Me neither, but then, I don't speak Japanese.

Heck, I didn't know it was Japanese until about a year ago.

Highlifeman21
01-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Jason Mraz is an awesome live artist. I have a few of his live accoustic songs.

I've seen him twice in concert (both opening for DMB), and I must say he's better live than in studio.

Now if you want the complete 180 to that, listen to Fuel. They are completely horrible live. I mean absolutely horrendously worthless. They were our "gift" from the SU powers that be my Sophomore year, and wow were they putrid live, but any time I hear them in a studio setting they are actually surprisingly good. Very Jekyl and Hyde.

Here's some food for thought though. The band Live is freakishly awesome live, but noticeably lacking in the studio. I don't know what to make of it, but the 3 times I've heard them open for Counting Crows, they've knocked it out of the park, better than any album they've put out. Just makes me wonder about their name.

But, my favorite for "sucks live, but has made a living in the studio" would have to be without a shadow of a doubt.... Third Eye Blind. They are so so so much better on a CD than they ever could hope to be in front of you. Quite pathetic actually. Maybe they should tour with Fuel.

MrCinatit
01-12-2008, 07:27 AM

The studio version is remarkably bad. Had that been the only version released, no one would be talking about it.

Deep Purple's Live In Japan had a couple of excellent live versions: Space Trucking and Highway Star. Though I like the studio versions, the live version is a lot better.
Free As A Bird by anyone should only be played live.

GAC
01-12-2008, 08:06 AM
I was listening to some music last night and just was thinking about some songs that were released both in studio and live and wanted to see if anyone had some opinions on certain songs that were better live than when it was made in the studio.

Frampton comes to mind. I had his studio albums, like Frampton and Camel which included many of the songs that were on Frampton Comes Alive. Live were much better versions IMO.

Has anyone bought the newly re-mastered Led Zep's The Song Remains The Same?

I liked Rock and Roll on there better then the studio version.

Deep Purple's Live In Japan had a couple of excellent live versions: Space Trucking and Highway Star. Though I like the studio versions, the live version is a lot better.

Brings back memories. Those were excellent.

And the Who's "Live At Leeds", though "live" didn't even sound like a live album. I loved My Generation and Townsend's guitar on that one.

As well as the Allman Brothers "Live At The Fillmore East" - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (awesome).

bucksfan2
01-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Do you have any specific examples you'd like to share with the class? ;)

Off the top of my head I have a Pearl Jam Live on Two Legs and Live at the Gourge that are great. Now most artists (or bootleggers) sell live versions of concerts. The thing I like about the live versions is that they are unique. The songs are a little different every time they are played. A few years ago I went to the Bon Jovi concert at Riverbend and the first half of it was acoustic. Livin on a Prayer was pretty bad but most of the set was great.

Dom Heffner
01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
The live version of "Pain Lies on the Riverside" by Live is incredible. That song was meant to be full throttle emotion and the studio version feels restrained in comparison.

Hall and Oates' "Wait for Me" is terrific as well live.

macro
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
GAC, you beat me to the punch on Frampton Comes Alive. THat's the first thing that came to mind.

My second Queen album (after The Game) was Live Killers, so I got used to all those songs live. The studio versions have always sounded "flat" to me as a result.

Same for KISS Alive. I heard that first and then the studio versions later, so the live versions are what I consider "normal".

Cyclone792
01-12-2008, 11:35 AM
The Counting Crows produce some pretty good studio stuff, but their live performances are off-the-chart fantastic. I think what's even more amazing about their live performances is they'll re-invent each song every time they sing it live.

Hap
01-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Free Bird and Gimme Three Steps from Lynyrd Skynyrd Gold & Platimum

Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) by Bruce Springsteen

Raisor
01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) by Bruce Springsteen

I love Bruce.

I love Bruce live.

I can't STAND Rosalita live. I know part of the greatness of Bruce live is that he's always on the edge of total trainwreck, but somehow makes it seem like that's what is supposed to happen, but whenever I hear Rosalita live it sounds like that trainwreck has actually happened.

blah

westofyou
01-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I hear Rosalita live it sounds like that trainwreck has actually happened.

Not the Agora Theater 1978

klw
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Not the Agora Theater 1978

Well here is the legendary 1978 Passaic show's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcD1IFBdtjg&feature=related

cincinnati chili
01-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Much of The Band's stuff sounded better live. If you get a chance, rent the Last Waltz and watch it on a good sound system.

*BaseClogger*
01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Nirvana's live recordings are very good

BoydsOfSummer
01-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Maiden is a super-tight live band, there isn't much difference.

pedro
01-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Live Rust is one of Neil Young's finest moments IMO.

WebScorpion
01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Heck, I didn't know it was Japanese until about a year ago.

What, you thought is was from Budokan, Tenessee? :p:

Blimpie
01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I downloaded a Dire Straits show once. It sounded almost like their studio recordings. .Ditto for the Alan Parsons Project...you almost cannot even tell that they are out of the studio on "Alan Parsons: The Very Best Live (1995)"

RFS62
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
nm

rotnoid
01-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Besides the obvious ones mentioned already..... Katmandu- Bob Seger live. The studio version is too slow and stuffy.

pedro
01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I downloaded a Dire Straits show once. It sounded almost like their studio recordings. .

saw them at radio city music hall in 1985. fabulous live band.

their live album "alchemy" is a great cross section of their catalog.

Chip R
01-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Besides the obvious ones mentioned already..... Katmandu- Bob Seger live. The studio version is too slow and stuffy.

Good one.

Roy Tucker
01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I prefer Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" on "Hendrix in the West" instead of the studio version.

Same with "Red House".