PDA

View Full Version : Stand Pat - says who?!?! Per MLB.COM "Kirvsky weighing Options"

BLEEDS
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080111&content_id=2343829&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Notes: Krivsky weighing options
General manager active in trying to find another pitcher
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- As free-agent momentum has slowed to a crawl league wide this winter, the Reds could extend their search for a veteran starter beyond the offseason.

Trade activity could pick up during Spring Training camp, when teams will get a better idea of what they have -- and what they still might need.

"There's still a month until spring and then at Spring Training, we'll have our scouts out at games," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said on Friday. "Everyone will have a chance to evaluate players."

The Reds were able to add starter Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena in a March trade with the Red Sox two years ago. They made no trades last spring.

Krivsky hasn't given up hope about bringing in an additional starter before pitchers and catchers report to camp in Sarasota, Fla., on Feb. 16.

Per usual policy, Krivsky would not divulge which pitchers Cincinnati is targeting.

Several second-tier veterans remain on the free-agent market. The Reds spoke with Brett Tomko's agent earlier this week, but talks were believed to be only preliminary. A local report this week also linked the club with Josh Fogg. Livan Hernandez, Jon Lieber and Kris Benson are among others still available.

"I would call it active," Krivsky said of his talks with various agents." Plenty of phone calls have been made on both sides."

Cincinnati's 40-man roster currently has 39 players, so Krivsky has room to offer a Major League contract to a free-agent pitcher. But he still could elect to sign someone to a Minor League deal with an invite to big league camp.

Orioles lefty Erik Bedard and A's right-hander Joe Blanton remain the two best starters that could be had in a potential trade. Both Baltimore and Oakland are seeking several elite prospects in return and no team has yet to bite. The Reds will not give up top prospect Jay Bruce but would likely have to part with some combination involving Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey or Joey Votto to get a deal done for an elite pitcher.

Hot Stove

"There are always teams weighing what they would give up and get back in a trade vs. signing a free agent without having to give up any players," Krivsky said. "That consideration is always out there."

Right now, the Reds rotation has two established starters in Aaron Harang and Arroyo. Second-year starter Matt Belisle is tentatively listed for the third spot. Bailey, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Matt Maloney would compete for the final two openings.
__________________________________________________ ______

seems to me Mr. K is "still looking".

I am about 99.99% sure we WON'T go into Opening day with this SP lineup:

Harang
Arroyo
Belisle
Volquez/Bailey/Cueto/Maloney
Volquez/Bailey/Cueto/Maloney

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Considering the free agent options we would be stupid to go into spring training with anything but that rotation

_Sir_Charles_
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I certainly don't want to see us deal away the young talent that we've gathered. But with that being said, if the Reds could manage to sign a FA starter this year to a HEAVILY incentive-laden 1 or 2 year contract then I'd be fine with it. However, I do NOT want to see a big contract from this year's crop of FA's. With 5 solid young arms competing for 3 spots I find it difficult to see all 5 flopping. A one year FA contract would help fill the gap in the learning curve for the youngsters. But it's gotta be cheap....otherwise deal with the growing pains. 2009 is the start of our run anyway...not 2008.