PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Community Prospect Vote #27

dougdirt
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #27 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Guys with no votes last round and in rotation:
Jose Castro
Chris Heisey
Sean Henry
Juan Rafael
Ramon Ramirez
Jordan Smith
Craig Tatum

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto
Prospect 17 - Brandon Waring
Prospect 18 - Adam Rosales
Prospect 19 - Tyler Pelland
Prospect 20 - Daryl Thompson
Prospect 21 - Pedro Viola
Prospect 22 - Chris Valaika
Prospect 23 - Sam Lecure
Prospect 24 - Marcus McBeth
Prospect 25 - Justin Turner
Prospect 26 - Chris Dickerson

redhawk61
01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
You gotta go with Carroll here. low to mid 90's fastball with two different splitters.

OnBaseMachine
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I'll also go with Scott Carroll. His fastball is 91-92 and can touch 94, in addition to a splitter, slider, and a slow curveball. With Carroll being 23 already, I'd like to see the Reds start him in Sarasota.

dougdirt
01-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I'll also go with Scott Carroll. His fastball is 91-92 and can touch 94, in addition to a splitter, slider, and a slow curveball. With Carroll being 23 already, I'd like to see the Reds start him in Sarasota.

Makes two of us.

Kc61
01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm sure Carroll is a good choice, was drafted high, but he's 23 and pitched 15 innings at Billings. That's his total in pro ball.

Not sure how folks would pick him over 20 year old Reed who had a good full season at Rookie ball last year with a .799 OPS in 230 at bats in rookie ball and is reputedly a tremendous athlete.

Whatever.

dougdirt
01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm sure Carroll is a good choice, was drafted high, but he's 23 and pitched 15 innings at Billings. That's his total in pro ball.

Not sure how folks would pick him over 20 year old Reed who had a good full season at Rookie ball last year with a .799 OPS in 230 at bats in rookie ball and is reputedly a tremendous athlete.

Whatever.

Carroll is a late bloomer in terms of pro baseball because he was a college football player who transferred and had to sit out a year because of that. Age only counts so much. If he were drafted in 2005 or 2006 and only pitched 15 innings in pro ball, you would have more of a point. He has good stuff and although he probably profiles as a reliever down the road, it looks like he could be a good bet at this point.

camisadelgolf
01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I voted for Carroll because Cozart doesn't have a chance at #27 and Carroll is who I like at #28.

Kc61
01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Carroll is a late bloomer in terms of pro baseball because he was a college football player who transferred and had to sit out a year because of that. Age only counts so much. If he were drafted in 2005 or 2006 and only pitched 15 innings in pro ball, you would have more of a point. He has good stuff and although he probably profiles as a reliever down the road, it looks like he could be a good bet at this point.

Still, you are projecting a 23 year old guy with absolutely no pro track record. Ok, but at this point it's just off scouting reports. Hope he does well, but next year will indicate what the Reds have with Carroll.

I hope he takes off next year like Roenicke did as another pitcher who started pro ball late. Cautiously optimistic, just prefer Reed at this spot.

AmarilloRed
01-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I voted for Scott Carroll this time. Can we add Logan Parker on the next poll?

dougdirt
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I voted for Scott Carroll this time. Can we add Logan Parker on the next poll?

He will be added.

Mario-Rijo
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I voted Smit who I think is better than just about anybody left and by far.

However I actually intended on voting for Gardener but had a brain fart. I like Smit's talent better but Gardener isn't far off if at all (maybe I just have an iffinity for handedness, I'm a LH sorta) in that regard. I just wanted to vote Richie due to him being closer to the bigs.

So if it ends up close remember my intent was to vote Gardener. :thumbup:

Triples
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
One vote for "other" Drew Anderson

reds44
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Jukich, with Reed just behind him.

RedsUp
01-14-2008, 02:54 AM
Why Valiquette?
2 players made the 31st team for 2007 : Rosales and Valiquette

I know he went home at mid season in 2006, but he had talks with the Reds about coming back and start from scratch. He is now determined to become a major league player. So he went to Billings and stayed at the top of the Pioneer league for best ERA and WHIP for most of the season.
I read that a lot of you guys will not consider a reliever as a prospect. Maybe they don't get as much media attention and being in rookie ball will also get you no press. Relievers are as importants as starters or closers.

Phil is turning 21 next month so he has plenty of time to get there, but not that much. He gained maturity in the last season.

One thing he had to improve was his BB/K rate and he did big time!
If you look at his stats you will see that he pitched 70% strikes last season. He sits around 93-94mph with his fast ball, and he's got lots of movement on it. I've listen to most of his games last season (I follow his career closely : he played with my son) and he was clocked at 97 and 98 many times. Not bad for a 20 yrs old lefty.

Lastly, at the fall instructional league he was named best pitcher of the camp, and the Reds are considering taking him back as a starter since he has improved his curve and changeup plus he added a slider. I am very confident with him becoming a MLB player but like the rest of the other players : only time will tell us.

mth123
01-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Why Valiquette?
2 players made the 31st team for 2007 : Rosales and Valiquette

I know he went home at mid season in 2006, but he had talks with the Reds about coming back and start from scratch. He is now determined to become a major league player. So he went to Billings and stayed at the top of the Pioneer league for best ERA and WHIP for most of the season.
I read that a lot of you guys will not consider a reliever as a prospect. Maybe they don't get as much media attention and being in rookie ball will also get you no press. Relievers are as importants as starters or closers.

Phil is turning 21 next month so he has plenty of time to get there, but not that much. He gained maturity in the last season.

One thing he had to improve was his BB/K rate and he did big time!
If you look at his stats you will see that he pitched 70% strikes last season. He sits around 93-94mph with his fast ball, and he's got lots of movement on it. I've listen to most of his games last season (I follow his career closely : he played with my son) and he was clocked at 97 and 98 many times. Not bad for a 20 yrs old lefty.

Lastly, at the fall instructional league he was named best pitcher of the camp, and the Reds are considering taking him back as a starter since he has improved his curve and changeup plus he added a slider. I am very confident with him becoming a MLB player but like the rest of the other players : only time will tell us.

I think Valiquette is a good candidate for a big move up in 2008 and at this point a lot of guys are fairly interchangeable.

I went with Ben Jukich but its mostly on a hunch that Krivsky acquired him for a reason and that other than at the beginning of last year in the A's organization where he had a few control issues (12 HBP in that couple of months last year) he's pitched well. He's ready for AA and could join the Fisher, Lecure, etc group as bottom of the rotation starter candidates in 2008. He's at the point in his development where guys tend to come more quickly. We'll see what happens.

I also like Lutz, Carroll, Ramirez, Tatum, Herrera, and Castro at this point and for me the relative difference betwen number 27 and number 35 is paper thin. So I went with a starting pitcher. I'll probably go with Ramirez next because I think he could be a long man in Cincy before the year is through.

HokieRed
01-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Hildenbrandt is 18.

camisadelgolf
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I didn't realize Smit was still on the board. Anyway, after Carroll becomes #27, here is how I have my voting ranked:

Alex Smit
Zach Cozart
Evan Hildebrandt
Ruben Medina
Tzu-Kai Chiu
Jordan Smith
Sean Henry
Justin Reed
Jamie Gianchou
Chris Heisey

Kc61
01-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Jordan Smith pitched for Dayton, had a 3.84 ERA, a WHIP of 1.29 (fabulous for a starter) and a ground out/fly out ratio of 1.71, another fabulous stat.

He was 21 last year and will turn 22 in a few weeks.

Deserves consideration.

Superdude
01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Jordan Smith pitched for Dayton, had a 3.84 ERA, a WHIP of 1.29 (fabulous for a starter) and a ground out/fly out ratio of 1.71, another fabulous stat.

His K numbers were so-so last year, but he did everything else well. He's still pretty young and has good stuff, so an improvement in that area isn't all that far-fetched. Is a Fisher-like breakout possible?

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I didn't realize Smit was still on the board. Anyway, after Carroll becomes #27, here is how I have my voting ranked:

Alex Smit
Zach Cozart
Evan Hildebrandt
Ruben Medina
Tzu-Kai Chiu
Jordan Smith
Sean Henry
Justin Reed
Jamie Gianchou
Chris Heisey

Where's Richie Gardner?

kheidg-
01-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Yea I vote Richie Gardner at least he has had success in AA and AAA and is still relatively young being that he missed a full season due to injury. Not sure why he's slipped this far...

camisadelgolf
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Where's Richie Gardner?

I think Gardner is too hittable to be anything beyond a #5 starter, and I don't think he has the ability to dial his pitches up a notch to be a particularly-good reliever either. AAA hitters were making him look silly, so until he keeps the ball down against more patient hitters, I won't be too excited about him.

Kc61
01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Yea I vote Richie Gardner at least he has had success in AA and AAA and is still relatively young being that he missed a full season due to injury. Not sure why he's slipped this far...

I wish Gardner well, he's come back from injury.

But his AAA ERA last year was 5.71. When you say he's "had success in AAA" what are you referring to, perhaps I've missed it. Thanks for letting us know.

lollipopcurve
01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Janish

I'll go with a low-ceiling, sure-to-see-MLB-time choice here.

Danny Serafini
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
I saw Gardner and Steve Kelly pitch a doubleheader last year, and the two were indistinguishable, which isn't a real good thing. It was Gardner's first AAA start so I'll cut him a little slack, but the fact that he couldn't get above 88 isn't a mark in his favor.

ED44
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Beckett's rookie card rolodex had this to say about Carroll:

Mid-rotation starter with #1 or #2 potential which got me pretty excited.

Then I read this on Lotzkar:

Kyle Lotzkar: Bats LEFT, throws RIGHT...top of the order LEFTY, but a few year's away...best compared to Ted Lilly.

So, I'm not sure how much stock to put on Beckett now.

dougdirt
01-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Beckett's rookie card rolodex had this to say about Carroll:

Mid-rotation starter with #1 or #2 potential which got me pretty excited.

Then I read this on Lotzkar:

Kyle Lotzkar: Bats LEFT, throws RIGHT...top of the order LEFTY, but a few year's away...best compared to Ted Lilly.

So, I'm not sure how much stock to put on Beckett now.

I would put absolutely zero stock in them. I don't know who does their 'rookie rolodex' stuff, but its laughable for the most part.

ED44
01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I would put absolutely zero stock in them. I don't know who does their 'rookie rolodex' stuff, but its laughable for the most part.

They could definitely use some help...was very disappointed with the newest rolodex though.