PDA

View Full Version : Huston Street

TC81190
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Since the A's are in full firesale mode, Huston Street is probably on the block. What would you trade for a young power arm like Street? If I could I'd probably trade...

Cueto, Votto, LeCure, Valakia

for

Street.

Beane traded away Haren for a large quantity of prospects, while Kotsay was dealt for one of good quality. This deal, kind of a mixture of both, could probably get it done. The A's line is going to need some thump down the line (Votto), while I'm not sure Oakland has a lot, if any, quality young pitchers, so Cueto and LeCure kind of fill that role. The A's I think at this point are primarily lacking offense, so if need be, you could probably close the deal by adding a type like Dorn or Francisco.

Thoughts?

redlegs7089
01-13-2008, 07:41 PM
im glad ur not our gm cuz that would be moronic

AmarilloRed
01-13-2008, 07:44 PM
We might do a trade like that for a #2 starting pitcher, but I would not expect one like that for a reliever. Also, I believe Street is a closer, and I think we just signed one in Cordero.

TC81190
01-13-2008, 07:45 PM
We might do a trade like that for a #2 starting pitcher, but I would not expect one like that for a reliever. Also, I believe Street is a closer, and I think we just signed one in Cordero.

True, but I wouldn't call the BP fixed yet, and Street is an impact player.

Our BP could actually be a strength if he were added.

redsfanfalcon
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
For Blanton AND Street yes.

Oxilon
01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
If Bedard's asking price is high right now, I would imagine Street's is just as high, if not higher. I like the idea of targeting some good pen arms, but Steet wouldn't be that logical.

GoReds33
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Take out Cueto, and maybe. I'm not trading Johnny for anything but a number one starter.

*BaseClogger*
01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
For a guy that will throw 60 innings!? :eek:

*BaseClogger*
01-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I'd rather go after George Sherill if he is available because he would likely cost less, has a lower injury risk, and would be more open to a setup role...

AdamDunn
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
BAD BAD BAD idea. Two of our top prospects for an often injured closer. Not to mention the other two lower end prospects. If this were to ever happen, I'd personally go shoot WK.

fadetoblack2880
01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
That's a bit of an overpay for a relief pitcher. Maybe for Street and Blanton and someone else.

dthomas24
01-14-2008, 12:18 AM
The A's and Beane have been successful because they don't trade AWAY prospects, they ACQUIRE them. My opinion, bad idea.

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
The A's and Beane have been successful because they don't trade AWAY prospects, they ACQUIRE them. My opinion, bad idea.

successful at what?

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 12:32 AM
successful at what?

winning baseball games?

mlbfan30
01-14-2008, 12:48 AM

From memory he's traded...

Andre Ethier
Bonderman
Carlos Pena
Harang

all as prospects....

I'm sure he's traded other impact players as prospects but I can't find a list anywhere.

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:00 AM

Andre Ethier
Bonderman
Carlos Pena
Harang

all as prospects....

I'm sure he's traded other impact players as prospects but I can't find a list anywhere.

Harang and Pena had both already lost their prospect status

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:07 AM
winning baseball games?

You must mean being mediocre

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:10 AM
You must mean being mediocre

do I really have to look up the A's record with Beane at the helm?

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:16 AM
do I really have to look up the A's record with Beane at the helm?

yes please do, hes not been terrible but he hasnt been great either thus the term mediocre.

Typical A's season: Have a roster that should stay around .500 give or take 10 games and then if you do in fact make the playoffs you lose quickly in the 1st round.

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:21 AM
yes please do, hes not been terrible but he hasnt been great either thus the term mediocre.

Typical A's season: Have a roster that should stay around .500 give or take 10 games and then if you do in fact make the playoffs you lose quickly in the 1st round.

966 wins
815 losses

.542 win%

took over a losing team with a low payroll

5 playoff appearances in 11 years

gee thats mediocre :rolleyes:

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:26 AM
He builds good teams that never do anything besides lose quickly in the playoffs. If he didnt get lucky with the big 3 he would have been fired by now.

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:28 AM
He should have won at least 1 WS with Hudson Mulder and Zito and he didnt even get a playoff win

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:29 AM
He builds good teams that never do anything besides lose quickly in the playoffs. If he didnt get lucky any have the big 3 he would be fired by now.

yup he got lucky those teams had terrible offenses that were carried by the big 3... especially in 2000 when they won the division and Mulder and Zito barely contributed, and then in '06 when Zito was the only one left and they won 93 games and the division... :rant2:

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:30 AM
He should have won at least 1 WS with Hudson Mulder and Zito and he didnt even get a playoff win

its baseball- should the Cardinals have won the WS in '06? Of course not, but baseball is just like that. Sometimes what should happen doesn't...

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:32 AM
its baseball- should the Cardinals have won the WS in '06? Of course not, but baseball is just like that. Sometimes what should happen doesn't...

To never win a playoff series is just as bad as missing the playoffs in the long run.

You hate on Jocketty for winning WS and making the playoffs yet you love Beane for building teams that might be decent but normally end up bombing hmmm

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:35 AM
To never win a playoff series is just as bad as missing the playoffs in the long run.

You hate on Jocketty for winning WS and making the playoffs yet you love Beane for building teams that might be decent but normally end up bombing hmmm

Beane's teams were better than the '06 Cards, they just didn't win. I can't explain it- it's baseball. You line the early 2000's A's up against the '06 Cards the A's win about 70% of the time- but there is still that 30%

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Beane's teams were better than the '06 Cards, they just didn't win. I can't explain it- it's baseball. You line the early 2000's A's up against the '06 Cards the A's win about 70% of the time- but there is still that 30%

Ok the 06 cards at least over achived when pretty much every good A's team was a hardcore choke artist.

I dont think the idea here is to compare a bad cardinal to a good A's team.

Beane has done well in some cases but his teams have also been terrible in others, prime example is never having a veteran team and never doing anything in the playoffs. Its not just coincidence his teams normally fall on their faces in the playoffs.

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Ok the 06 cards at least over achived when pretty much every good A's team was a hardcore choke artist.

I dont think the idea here is to compare a bad cardinal to a good A's team.

Beane has done well in some cases but his teams have also been terrible in others, prime example is never having a veteran team and never doing anything in the playoffs. Its not just coincidence his teams normally fall on their faces in the playoffs.

he's had veteran teams

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:40 AM
he's had veteran teams

not really...

*BaseClogger*
01-14-2008, 01:43 AM
not really...

the rotation is always young, but the lineup and bullpen is usually about normal age...

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:57 AM
the rotation is always young, but the lineup and bullpen is usually about normal age...

the lineup is normally full of guys that never got shots or are only in thier forth year at most. Hes got some older guys but they really arent veterans

Stephenk29
01-14-2008, 02:03 AM

Andre Ethier
Bonderman
Carlos Pena
Harang

all as prospects....

In Beane's defense Pena was terrible for a number of years until last year. Bonderman is somewhat overrated I believe.

Criticizing Beane for some of these moves is like questions Walk Jocketty trading away Dan Haren. Haren was a prospect too but he got Mulder in return. You can argue both made a good move in that trade. Haren really panned out and Mulder had two great years in StL before hitting the skids. My point is baseball is filled with trades that involve acquiring and trading prospects. Rolling the dice either way is basically luck. I can't remember who Beane got in return for all of those guys, but I'm sure they weren't thought to be anything but quality at the time.

BLEEDS
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM

?!?!?! Compared to NOT making the playoffs, EVER, or once every 10 years? NO WAY!!!

You think Baseball would be a bit more fun to watch in Cincinnati if we made the playoffs 5 of the last 11 years?!?!

The Stadium would be PACKED and the Payroll increasing, increasing our chances of winning.

Reds fans wouldn't get tired of making the playoffs and losing. They're tired of SUCKING every year and struggling to win 80 games as a goal.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
?!?!?! Compared to NOT making the playoffs, EVER, or once every 10 years? NO WAY!!!

You think Baseball would be a bit more fun to watch in Cincinnati if we made the playoffs 5 of the last 11 years?!?!

The Stadium would be PACKED and the Payroll increasing, increasing our chances of winning.

Reds fans wouldn't get tired of making the playoffs and losing. They're tired of SUCKING every year and struggling to win 80 games as a goal.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
If the reds made the playoffs 5 our of 11 years and never advanced people would be calling for heads probably even more

Nasty_Boy
01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I thought the question was what has Beane done for the A's? He has made the ALCS, as recently as '06. But honestly, how do you call 5 playoff appearances in 11 seasons a failure? Unless you're Steinbrenner, I would think most teams/fans would take that. Oh well...

Anyways, there is no way in hell I would give up Cueto, Votto, Lecure, and Valaika for Street. Street is a nice pitcher, but Krivsky would have to be an idiot to make that trade.

AmarilloRed
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I think Street is an outstanding reliever; I just don't see the need for him. He has been a closer in Oakland, and might look upon becoming a set-up man as a demotion. There is also some history of him being injured, so the Reds would assume a risk there. I think a trade could be made for Huston Street without giving up one of the Big 4, but I expect the negotiations would start with Cueto or Bailey.