PDA

View Full Version : All But One...so far

traderumor
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
So far, Gholston is the only non-senior to be headed to the NFL from Ohio State. Boone announced last night, Robiskie, Jenkins and Freeman earlier in the week. Laurinitis is the only one left and no word yet according to the Dispatch, which I checked just a few minutes ago.

Gholston I expected and I'm wondering if Bengals fans would be happy with him at #9? Or could he be around for round #2? He is a motor guy that the Dline should be looking for, with strength making up for a lack of size, IMO. But then I'm biased and by no means a draft guru.

rotnoid
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Gholston's probably a reach at #9, but I wouldn't expect him to be there in the second round either. If he's who the Bengals are targeting, and I have no idea if they are, it makes more sense to trade down. Might make the most sense any way. There's not one guy out there who's going to make this a top 10-15 defense, so quantity might be better in this case.

Highlifeman21
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I thought Alex Boone said he's staying at tOSU.

traderumor
01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I thought Alex Boone said he's staying at tOSU.I said he announced last night, and so far only Gholston has decided to head to the pros.

WVRed
01-14-2008, 02:22 PM
If Laurianitis declares, he would be the one I would like to see the Bengals target.

Laurianitis, Ellis, and Keith Rivers should be the priorities in that order.

WMR
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I think it will be Ellis.

I don't think there's any way Laurianitis gets past the Pats.

traderumor
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
The current rumor, started by Boone, is that Laurinitis is returning. I'm surprised he's taking it to the wire, he must really be unsure of what to do still.

rotnoid
01-14-2008, 03:02 PM
The current rumor, started by Boone, is that Laurinitis is returning. I'm surprised he's taking it to the wire, he must really be unsure of what to do still.

According to the Columbus papers, The Animal really wants him to go pro and take the guaranteed money. That's balanced against James' worry about his legacy at tOSU. Sounds like dad's staying out to an extent. At this point, it really sounds like it could go either way.

Puffy
01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Gholston's probably a reach at #9, but I wouldn't expect him to be there in the second round either. If he's who the Bengals are targeting, and I have no idea if they are, it makes more sense to trade down. Might make the most sense any way. There's not one guy out there who's going to make this a top 10-15 defense, so quantity might be better in this case.

Gholston probably is a reach at #9 - but if he blows up at the combines he might not be a reach anymore. Tough to tell this early.

What I can say is that he won't make it to the second round. Outside of quarterbacks guys who can get to the quarterback are most in demand. Gholston is a pass rusher - he will go in the first round.

Heath
01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
The way this year ended, you don't think that sometimes people want to end on a better note?

Chip R
01-14-2008, 03:33 PM
The way this year ended, you don't think that sometimes people want to end on a better note?

That didn't work out too well with those Michigan guys.

WMR
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
ESPN announced Laurianitis is staying!

Color me surprised!

WMR
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Next year's draft class is going to be absolutely LOADED.

WVRed
01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Next year's draft class is going to be absolutely LOADED.

Yeah, and this one won't be worth much.

WMR
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, and this one won't be worth much.

Figures we'd win the coin toss this year.

Next year I'm sure we'll go 8-8 and pick 20th. :lol:

Buckeye33
01-14-2008, 09:46 PM
It's pretty fun to think about the amount of talent that will be on the OSU D next season, let alone the whole team. I firmly believe the coaches need to come up with a better system to utilize the talent, and hope they do.

Just a quick off the top of my head list of the players coming back for next year.

DE - Wilson, Rose, Heyward, Barrow, Gibson (think late in Wisconsin game)

DT - Worthington, Larimore, Denlinger,Abdallah

LB - Animal, Freeman, Homan, Terry, Rolle, Gibson

DB - Washington, Jenkins, Coleman, Russell, Chekwa, O'Neal

Scary.

HeatherC1212
01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Aww, that's great news! Wow, OSU is only losing one junior guy to the draft this year. That's quite the contrast from last year! I'm looking forward to seeing the awesome Buckeye team next season. :)

That defense does look scary! Wow. :eek:

WMR
01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Who's going to play quarterback?

mole44
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Who's going to play quarterback?Anyone but Boeckman

cincy jacket
01-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Who's going to play quarterback?

Best case scenario will be a Boeckman/Pryor combo similar to
the Leak/Tebow combo of two years ago. Worst Case will be Boeckman with Henton getting some looks in certain scenarios.

WMR
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Hasn't Pryor all but committed to Michigan?

cincy jacket
01-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Hasn't Pryor all but committed to Michigan?

Depends on the day. He is going to play this all the way out til signing day. With Mallet transfering it looks pretty obvious that UM should be the choice but so called experts keep saying they hear he is still learning toward OSU. After seeing the way Boeckman played in the NT game he might be thinking he can get playing time at OSU faster than he ever imagined.

WMR
01-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Depends on the day. He is going to play this all the way out til signing day. With Mallet transfering it looks pretty obvious that UM should be the choice but so called experts keep saying they hear he is still learning toward OSU. After seeing the way Boeckman played in the NT game he might be thinking he can get playing time at OSU faster than he ever imagined.

True.

traderumor
01-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Boeckman's play in the NC game is being greatly exagerrated. He did not play bad, most of the passing game problems were that the Buckeyes were only sending out two receivers for max protection, then those two ran gos on the sideline. I think the Bengals could have covered that passing game.

rotnoid
01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Boeckman's play in the NC game is being greatly exagerrated. He did not play bad, most of the passing game problems were that the Buckeyes were only sending out two receivers for max protection, then those two ran gos on the sideline. I think the Bengals could have covered that passing game.

That along with Boeckman's tendency to underthrow everything are the reason for the passing woes. But that's another story. I saw Pryor in the East/West Army game on NBC a few weeks ago. Man, did he look good. At that time, he had a buckey leaf sticker on his helmet. I'm sure his mind has changed a few times since then though. I just took it as a good sign.