PDA

View Full Version : Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Caveat Emperor
01-14-2008, 04:43 PM
They showed the pilot for this one last night on FOX, with the second episode being shown tonight.

Episode 1 introduced us to high-school age John Connor with his mother Sarah, still on the run with seemingly no apparent reason (seeing as, from their point of view, they should still think they succeeded in stopping SkyNet from being created due to their actions in T2). It also introduced their new now-standard plot device of reprogramed Terminator-Protector, who happens to look like a high-school teenager. Hints are also dropped that this new TerminaTeen is even more ‘human’ than previous models.

Overall, I though the show was fairly entertaining. There seemed to be no evident drop in production values -- I'd have a hard time distinguishing between this show and watching one of the movies on TV. The producers must figure that everyone knows where they’re going, because the show makes absolutely no attempt to catch you up on any of John & Sarah’s backstory. They reference the movies fairly regularly, even visiting the Dyson family (of T2 fame) with no explanation at all of who they were.

The continuity makes my head hurt a bit, though. By all indications, this show seems to take place between T2 and T3. From the point of view of John and Sarah Connor, they should believe that their actions in T2 averted Judgement Day. Yet, they’re still running. Also, the show takes liberties with the already bad time-travel rules established in the series by saying that somebody was sent back in time to the 1960s to build a time-travel device so that it could be there to later send John, Sarah, and TerminaTeen into the future to stop Cyberdyne Systems yet again. All of this, apparently, will be forgotten by John Connor when he later appears confused to see more terminators in T3.

I’ll probably keep watching, but that’s mostly because I think the source material for this stuff that Cameron developed is fairly fantastic (albeit derivative of any number of other sci-fi authors) and it’s just fun to revisit this world/concept.

Anyone else watching?

Chip R
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Anyone else watching?

I saw it last night. Good show. Especially liked TermaTeen. :D

Matt700wlw
01-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I enjoyed it. I'm a HUGE fan of the movies, so I'm going to hang with this.

We'll see how it turns out.

terminator
01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I thought for a TV show the quality was very good. Much more entertaining than the usual fare on TV. I hope it's popular enough to stick around so we can see where they want to go with it.

As for the timeline and "why are they still running" issues, well, I think a lot of those issues were previously addressed by Marty McFly and the Professor. ;)

NJReds
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I would suppose that they're still running because of what happened at the hospital.

OUReds
01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
I liked the first episode. I'll probably watch a bit longer, mostly because I think Summer Glau is smoking hot.

marcshoe
01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
It was very good, but this could make my current (hopefully very temporary) job as a substitute teacher just that much harder....

KronoRed
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
T3 is best ignored in time line discussions, and really in all Terminator discussions.

Chip R
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
It was very good, but this could make my current (hopefully very temporary) job as a substitute teacher just that much harder....

Or easier. Just start acting like a robot and those kids will be sure to settle down. ;)

Degenerate39
01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
It was decent but I can't wait to see Christian Bale as John Connor

Cyclone792
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Summer Glau was the main reason why I bothered to even watch it last night.

The pilot was a bit interesting, but we'll see if this holds my interest. I'm guessing it won't, but stranger things have happened.

vaticanplum
01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine is in this show, he's playing a computer geek of some sort. I told him I would watch but I couldn't bring myself to do it. My eyes glaze over at this kind of stuff. Good to hear some thought it was entertaining, anyway.

MrCinatit
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM

The pilot was a bit interesting, but we'll see if this holds my interest. I'm guessing it won't, but stranger things have happened.

I've liked Summer since her Firefly days.
I liked the pilot. Not a bad program.

Caveat Emperor
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
My eyes glaze over at this kind of stuff.

That's just what the robots want you to do -- it makes their conquest of humanity so much easier. ;)

WMR
01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I devour all things Terminator. My "bar" will be set pretty low for me to stick with the show... I actually enjoyed what I saw last night.

The part with the Terminator tearing the safe apart was pretty cool.

Interested to see where they take it.

WMR
01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
T3 is best ignored in time line discussions, and really in all Terminator discussions.

WRONG!

WMR
01-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Rottentomatoes certainly disagrees with you as well, Krono.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_3_rise_of_the_machines/

Raisor
01-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd watch Summer Glau read the phone book.

Chip R
01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
I'd watch Summer Glau read the phone book.

Certainly is tough to take your eyes off of.

Raisor
01-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Certainly is tough to take your eyes off of.

If people here haven't seen Firefly/Serenity, go out and get them.

Firefly is proof that the American public is made up mostly of idiots. 14 episodes + 1 film isn't nearly enough.

pahster
01-14-2008, 11:15 PM

Ugh. T3 was utter garbage. Unfortunately I've had to take Rotten Tomatoes' ratings with a grain of salt since Revenge of the Sith managed an 80%. I mean, I know we all wanted it to be good, but lets be honest...

pahster
01-14-2008, 11:16 PM

Firefly is proof that the American public is made up mostly of idiots. 14 episodes + 1 film isn't nearly enough.

Word.

Caveat Emperor
01-14-2008, 11:17 PM

Looks like the events of T3 are being completely retconned out of existence by this show. Due to the "time jump" plotline, the John Connor character skipped over the events that would've taken place at that time. No Kate Brewster, no hiding in the mountain.

Not to be confused with anything simple, though, in tonight's episode, they did reference that, had the timeline remained intact, Sarah Connor would have died of cancer in 2005 -- which was what T3 had established.

Raisor
01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
By the by, I liked the first episode of SCC. I've got the 2nd one saved on my DVR to watch sometime this week.
I loved the bank scene.

WMR
01-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Ugh. T3 was utter garbage. Unfortunately I've had to take Rotten Tomatoes' ratings with a grain of salt since Revenge of the Sith managed an 80%. I mean, I know we all wanted it to be good, but lets be honest...

Wow, you're way of on that one too, IMO.

Revenge of the Sith was on par with the original trilogy IMO. Totally salvaged the subpar episodes I and II.

WMR
01-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Thought the show improved on the pilot in tonights episode.

WMR
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Looks like the events of T3 are being completely retconned out of existence by this show. Due to the "time jump" plotline, the John Connor character skipped over the events that would've taken place at that time. No Kate Brewster, no hiding in the mountain.

Not to be confused with anything simple, though, in tonight's episode, they did reference that, had the timeline remained intact, Sarah Connor would have died of cancer in 2005 -- which was what T3 had established.

That makes me wonder... will Sarah Connor now die of cancer in 2012 or whatever it would be moving the timeframe forward? Will the cancer still gestate and manifest itself on the same timeframe, now shifted?

Johnny Footstool
01-15-2008, 01:14 AM
I liked the first episode. I'll probably watch a bit longer, mostly because I think Summer Glau is smoking hot.

True dat. She puts naughties in my head.

SteelSD
01-15-2008, 02:45 AM

Unfortunately, Summer looked a bit "enchanced" in the first episode, and not due to CGI if you catch my meaning.

Agreed, although I'd blame the networks' poor handling of these shows over anything else. CBS cancelled "Jericho" although it's been revived for a short additional run. NBC cancelled "Journeyman". Basically, regardless of how good a show is, the networks will indiscriminately judge based on a poor rating system regardless of any other factors.

What kills good television shows, IMHO, is dumb studio execs who can't figure out that a great story has to play out over time in order to attract viewers. Instead, they want instant results that can pull the best advertising dollars without consideration to how they slot anything. Slot something against a juggernaut and get poor viewing results, and that show is dead. Stupid. Instead, they need to be conceding that time slot and position the offering where it'll actually resonate. A moron could figure out what TV studio executives can't. Start small, build a following, and then move the show to a prime slot. Instead, those folks only seem interested in backing "boom or bust" options that either take a longer time to gain interest or that can't possibly take their time slot due to the competition.

It's insane. Set up a good show that's destined to lose and then claim that you cancelled it when you already knew the competition was likely to trounce it. Heck, there are some network time slots that might be better served by offering infomercials. The gameplan should be to put the best shows in the weakest slots. That's the way to win a war. But gosh darn it, network television isn't the least bit interested in doing that. And it gets a lot of good offerings killed that could survive if given a different venue.

KronoRed
01-15-2008, 03:35 AM

Yeah, I feel better about my choice now :D

T3 was utterly awful, IMO :wave:

Unassisted
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Here's an interesting blog article that brings up some of the issues that I had with the show.

Why did they wimpify Sarah Connor? (http://io9.com/344363/why-did-they-wimpify-sarah-connor)

Summer Glau is great as a killing machine, but not so great when she's pretending to be a normal girl at first. So if it's true that future episodes will feature her character going to school with John and trying to act normal, that could be an issue. Thomas Dekker, as John Connor, has a bit of a mouth-breathing issue.

I want the drama to fit better into the storyline and not just be an excuse for another shoot-em-up scene between the robots. The hiding-out aspect of the story feels a little too much like the hiding-out aspect of Heroes, especially since the actor playing John Connor looks so much like Claire's boyfriend West from this season of Heroes.

TRF
01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Summer Glau in the bar fight scene in Serenity. The later against the Reavers. woof, she kicks ass.

My favorite scene was the robbery, when she's pointing out the guy going for his gun.

I miss firefly.

NJReds
01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Summer Glau in the bar fight scene in Serenity. The later against the Reavers. woof, she kicks ass.

My favorite scene was the robbery, when she's pointing out the guy going for his gun.

I miss firefly.

I bought the DVD set. Well worth it.

marcshoe
01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Here's an interesting blog article that brings up some of the issues that I had with the show.

Why did they wimpify Sarah Connor? (http://io9.com/344363/why-did-they-wimpify-sarah-connor)

I want the drama to fit better into the storyline and not just be an excuse for another shoot-em-up scene between the robots. The hiding-out aspect of the story feels a little too much like the hiding-out aspect of Heroes, especially since the actor playing John Connor looks so much like Claire's boyfriend West from this season of Heroes.

...and actually is Claire's video-shooting friend Zach from the first season of Heroes.

Unassisted
01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
...and actually is Claire's video-shooting friend Zach from the first season of Heroes.Wow, I'm usually good at picking up those crossovers, but I missed that one. He looks taller than he did on Heroes. ;)

WMR
01-17-2008, 02:26 AM
FOX is crowing about the premiere numbers for Terminator: TSCC. Apparently it is the biggest premiere of the year with 34 million viewers. I'm sure the NFL playoff lead-in helped.

Caveat Emperor
01-17-2008, 02:41 AM
FOX is crowing about the premiere numbers for Terminator: TSCC. Apparently it is the biggest premiere of the year with 34 million viewers. I'm sure the NFL playoff lead-in helped.

There was a drop-off on Monday night -- but that's to be expected.

I'd have kept the show Sundays, personally. Fox used to rule on Sunday nights when the Simpsons didn't suck and the X-Files still had David Duchovny.

WMR
01-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Remember Married With Children? That used to be another vital cog of their Sunday night line-up.

RedsBaron
01-17-2008, 07:50 AM
I watch very little TV network prime time offerings, but my wife and I both enjoyed the Sunday premiere, and I liked Monday's episode too. I agree that the production values appear to be close to that of the films (I have never seen T3).
I hope the show is a success.....and yes, Summer Glau is nice.
By the way, I agree with Krono-I was underwhelmed by "Revenge of the Sith."

Unassisted
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
FOX is crowing about the premiere numbers for Terminator: TSCC. Apparently it is the biggest premiere of the year with 34 million viewers. I'm sure the NFL playoff lead-in helped.I think a lot of people are coming to the realization that there aren't going to be any more episodes of their favorite shows for at least the rest of the winter. That's the main reason I sampled this show. I probably wouldn't have tuned in at all if I wasn't looking for a new series to watch.

Caveat Emperor
01-17-2008, 10:48 PM
In case you missed this show and are interested in picking it up, the pilot episode is now a free download on iTunes.

Raisor
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Watched episodes 2 and 3 tonight. I'm really enjoying this so far. Main thing though is how much this show makes me miss Firefly.

But if Terminator Summer/River is all I can get, I'll take it.

RFS62
01-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Watched episodes 2 and 3 tonight. I'm really enjoying this so far. Main thing though is how much this show makes me miss Firefly.

But if Terminator Summer/River is all I can get, I'll take it.

I liked her character in Firefly/Serenity infinitely more than her terminator.

But that's a tough standard to judge against. She was magnificent as River.

Caveat Emperor
01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
I liked her character in Firefly/Serenity infinitely more than her terminator.

I can't figure out where they're planning on taking her Terminateen character -- in the pilot, I thought they were hinting at something about her model that was more human. She was better at 'blending in' initially (in the scene at Connor's high school in the pilot) and she also took food to eat.

Now, they've gone back to the whole "robot doesn't fit in with human interaction" stuff from T2. That particular plot-thread is not only tired (having been done before in the movies), but it also doesn't match up with what we already know about her character (that she was able to do the high school thing no problem).

I liked the idea that there was a new quirk to her model -- I hope they haven't abandoned that.

RedsBaron
01-22-2008, 07:29 AM
I can't figure out where they're planning on taking her Terminateen character -- in the pilot, I thought they were hinting at something about her model that was more human. She was better at 'blending in' initially (in the scene at Connor's high school in the pilot) and she also took food to eat.

Now, they've gone back to the whole "robot doesn't fit in with human interaction" stuff from T2. That particular plot-thread is not only tired (having been done before in the movies), but it also doesn't match up with what we already know about her character (that she was able to do the high school thing no problem).

I liked the idea that there was a new quirk to her model -- I hope they haven't abandoned that.
I agree--in the pilot he more or less appeared to be "human" when she at the high school. A re-hash of T2 isn't the wa to go.

RedsBaron
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I stuck with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles; judging by the ratings, I was in a small minority. Nevermind, I enjoyed it anyway. Unfortunately, when it moved to Friday nights it had a series of uninspired episodes, which probably doomed the show to being cancelled. The final few episodes were very good, and the season (series?) finale last Friday night was memorable.

BuckeyeRed27
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
I love this show. There was about a four episode lull in there but I thought it did a decent job of building the story and the last few episodes have been great. Too bad it probably won't make it.

RosieRed
04-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, it really picked up toward the end. Loved the last couple episodes.

Degenerate39
04-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Speaking of the Terminator I can't wait till T4 comes out. It sucks Arnie won't be in it but Christian Bale will make up for that.

Unassisted
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
It's interesting to read my comments from a year ago. I lost interest during the hiatus and haven't seen any of the episodes that aired in 2009.

RedsBaron
04-14-2009, 02:48 PM
TTSCC's ratings were harmed first by the writers strike last season, which prematurely ended season one after only nine episodes. This season there was a break of several weeks mid-season, followed by the show moving from Monday to Friday night, which didn't help it in the ratings.
The cast was very good, the concept was excellent, but the scripts were uneven. I believe the show was really hurt by a story arc of several episodes that focused upon Sarah Connor's psychological issues, including one episode devoted to her having problems sleeping. While Lena Headley was fine as Sarah Connor, her character just was not that interesting, with a fixation on destroying "metal" and an inability to always tell friend from foe.
The show may have been better had it been "The John Connor Chronicles," as the growth of John Connor into the man who will lead human resistance and his relationship with terminator Cameron Phillips were the heart of the show and its most interesting dynamic.
I tought that Richard T. Jones (Ellison), Shirley Manson (Catherine Weaver), Garret Dillahunt (Cromartie/John Henry) and Brian Austin Green (Derek) were all well cast; I was surprised that Green, whom I had never cared for, and Manson did as well as they did.
Thomas Dekker grew into the role of John Connor. At times this season he came across as little more than an unreliable, self-absorbed teenager, but his character showed maturity and greater complexity in the closing episodes.
As for Summer Glau, she was the breakout character of the show, leaving viewers to think about what it means to be human. Summer Glau is nearly age 28, but is credible at playing a teenager. She steals every scene she is in. She is both easy on the eyes and a good actress.
The final episode was terrific. SPOILERS TO FOLLOW:

The bedroom scene between John and Cameron was both highly erotic and downright creepy at the same time (I wonder if Thomas Dekker intentionally messed up several takes of that scene just so he could remain on Summer Glau :) ).

The breakout of Sarah from jail recalled scenes from the first two Terminator movies. Catherine Weaver then reveals herself and her purpose to Sarah, John and Ellison in a well set-up, action filled scene.

All of those scenes set up the poignant ending. Cameron sacrifices herself, giving her "chip" to John Henry, with John & company finding her "dead" body, while a computer screen says over and over: "I'm sorry John." John then follows Catherine Weaver into the future, abandoning his mother as he cries that John Henry has "her (Cameron's) chip," as John tries to pursue Cameron across time.

In the future John is first confronted by his Uncle Derek, who died in the prior episode but is alive in the future, possibly in another time line, but this Derek does not know him and has never heard of "John Connor."

In a quasi-"Field of Dreams" moment, John then meets his father, Kyle Reese, but this Kyle doesn't know him either (In T1, Kyle died without even knowing that Sarah was carrying his child).

Then John thinks he sees Cameron, and a look of utter joy comes onto his face. However, this young lady has no return look of recognition, and begins to pet a dog, who sits quietly even though dogs react violently to the presence of terminators. We the audience realize that this lady, also played by Summer Glau, is actually Allison Young, the person who will be killed in the future by Cameron before she is reprogrammed by John. John doesn't know who she is, but his smile fades into puzzlement as he realizes that this is not "his" Cameron.

This show deserves a third season but reportedly will not get one. It will probably be replaced by Fox with something called "Surviving and Dancing with the American Idol Stars" or yet another "reality show."

MrCinatit
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I've still followed it and am still a fan. Very disappointing that Fox is about to cancel it - but it is pretty much to be expected from that next work and its inability to understand scifi long term (see: Firefly).

Shirley Manson was downright spooky. And Summer? Yowzer.

TRF
04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
I've still followed it and am still a fan. Very disappointing that Fox is about to cancel it - but it is pretty much to be expected from that next work and its inability to understand scifi long term (see: Firefly).

Shirley Manson was downright spooky. And Summer? Yowzer.

You can go back further than Firefly to Space: Above and Beyond.

That's the ONLY television series I own.

Chip R
04-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I've been watching this show too. I saw the season/series finale and have the 4-5 shows before that DVRd so I still have to watch those. It's a good show but it's hard to follow sometimes.

marcshoe
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I'll be disappointed if the show disappears. It's one of only two I've been watching regularly. Maybe the movie will do well enough that Fox will save it.

As to the time stream problem, I assumed they had traveled to a time before any of the other events had occured, but I confess to not being up on all the mythology.

Chip R
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
As to the time stream problem, I assumed they had traveled to a time before any of the other events had occured, but I confess to not being up on all the mythology.

Yeah, it's confusing. I haven't watched any of the movies besides the original. I freely admit that Summer Glau was the main reason I watched the show. But besides her it's pretty interesting. And I think she does a darn good job as Cameron. It can't be easy playing someone without emotions.

RedsBaron
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah, it's confusing. I haven't watched any of the movies besides the original. I freely admit that Summer Glau was the main reason I watched the show. But besides her it's pretty interesting. And I think she does a darn good job as Cameron. It can't be easy playing someone without emotions.

I sometimes believe the show would be/have been better if it had been "Terminator: The Connor Chronicles." The focus on Sarah Connor was sometimes counter-productive. I don't blame Lena Headley for that, as I thought she was fine in the role, but her character was not as interesting as some of the others on the show and often became unsympathetic as her fixation on destroying all machines blinded her to other issues.
Probably the worst episode in season two was "Some Must Sleep" which focused on Sarah Connor's inability to sleep. While it did reveal a few matters via a flashback, it was for the most part boring. The most memorable scene in the episode was Sarah dreaming about her son, John, being attracted to Cameron, who is briefly shown wearing only her bra and panties.
Another self-contained episode that primarily focused on only one character and that didn't move the story line that much but nevertheless did work was "Self Made Man." In that story, the focus is on Cameron along with a terminator who accidentally goes back too far in time, to the 1920s, and whose initial appearance kills someone vital to his mission. This terminator adapts to the situation and shows imagination in developing a new way to accomplish his mission. Meanwhile, we learn what Cameron does at night while Sarah and John sleep; she researches, locates and takes care of other threats, including terminators. She also befriends a paralyzed worker in a library and, while her social skills need work, shows kindness to him inconsistent with a terminator solely focused on the mission.
Anyway, the supporting cast is great, but I found John and Cameron to be more interesting that the title character, Sarah.
Oh yeah, Summer Glau is what initially drew my interest in the show. She reallly does give a terrific acting turn as Cameron, and, yes, she terrific to look at.

RedsBaron
05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Given its relatively poor ratings it may not be enough to save the show, but Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles clobbered the competition in the online "Save One Show" results released today.
T:TSSC received 53% of the total votes.
Chuck had 25%
Dollhouse had 10%
Life had 8%
Privileged had 4%

GAC
05-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Saw previews of the the new Terminator:Salvation movie starring Christian Bale as John Connors. Looked pretty good, but then, all previews do.

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/art_terminator4.html

On January 6th 2008, producer John Middleton had the following to say about the movie: "It's post-apocalyptic. It's set after the events of [Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines], where we see the nuclear exchange at the end of the movie, and we show what the world is like after this event, and we show how people try to deal in a post-apocalyptic world. And we introduce a new character, who becomes very important to the resistance and to John Connor, a new hero. It's really about the birth of a new hero."

About John Conner, he said: "I would look at him as a character that is introduced and that will grow in the second and third movies of the trilogy."

On Arnold Schwarzenegger's involvement in the film: "He has been approached, and in the early days of our development of T4, one of our producers, Andy Vajna, who's a good friend of his, spoke to him about doing a cameo. This was even before he was governor. But we know now that he is governor, he's got priorities that are above doing movies."

PLOT

In this new installment of The Terminator film franchise, set in post-apocalyptic 2018, Christian Bale stars as John Connor, the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators.

But the future Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past.

As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

WE SAY

To be honest we weren’t all that excited when a fourth Terminator movie was announced. And when it emerged that Arnie will only have a small cameo in it (if at all!) and that it will be directed by the pretentiously named McG whose credentials include the brainless Charlie’s Angels movies we just rolled our eyes and gave up on the whole affair.

After all, when one is honest about it, the three Terminator movies made thus far are basically the same movie made over and over again: an artificial intelligence from a future in which mankind is battling for its survival against said machines sends an unstoppable killing machine back in time to kill the man who will lead the human resistance before he is born or just a boy.

But it seems the future has finally arrived . . .

When it became apparent that Terminator 4 won’t be rehashing that whole plot again (after all, how can they after the ending of Terminator 3 – Rise of the Machines?) and that it will be largely set in the post-apocalyptic landscape in which humanity is pitted in a desperate battle for survival only glimpsed in the various movies we perked up. When they cast new action god Christian Bale (Batman in The Dark Knight) we really started paying attention. Hey, this new Terminator flick just might be worth checking out after all . . .

And then came that teaser trailer . . .

So: consider us excited. Terminator Salvation as the fourth movie is now officially titled just might be a worthy entry in the franchise, one that might even equal any of Jim Cameron’s entries (come on! did you see that trailer?). Or will at least be better than the tired rehash that was Rise of the Machines . . .

Chip R
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks like it's over for this show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090518/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_fox_new_season

BuckeyeRed27
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Too bad

Looks like several other shows hit the chopping block in the last couple days including Samantha Who and Without a Trace.

Raisor
05-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Looks like it's over for this show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090518/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_fox_new_season

Even getting to watch Summer every week wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Glad Dollhouse was saved though. It started getting really good in the middle of the season, and has turned out to be great fun after a slow start.

With Terminator ending, maybe Summer can join other Whedon favs (Felicia Day has an episode coming up) on Doll.

RedsBaron
05-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Fans of T:TSCC are trying to get another network, such as the WB or the Sci-Fi channel, to pick up the show, or to get direct-to-DVD movies of the show made, but those hopes are highly unlikely to be realized.

RedsBaron
05-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Saw previews of the the new Terminator:Salvation movie starring Christian Bale as John Connors. Looked pretty good, but then, all previews do.

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/art_terminator4.html

On January 6th 2008, producer John Middleton had the following to say about the movie: "It's post-apocalyptic. It's set after the events of [Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines], where we see the nuclear exchange at the end of the movie, and we show what the world is like after this event, and we show how people try to deal in a post-apocalyptic world. And we introduce a new character, who becomes very important to the resistance and to John Connor, a new hero. It's really about the birth of a new hero."

About John Conner, he said: "I would look at him as a character that is introduced and that will grow in the second and third movies of the trilogy."

On Arnold Schwarzenegger's involvement in the film: "He has been approached, and in the early days of our development of T4, one of our producers, Andy Vajna, who's a good friend of his, spoke to him about doing a cameo. This was even before he was governor. But we know now that he is governor, he's got priorities that are above doing movies."

PLOT

In this new installment of The Terminator film franchise, set in post-apocalyptic 2018, Christian Bale stars as John Connor, the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators.

But the future Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past.

As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

WE SAY

To be honest we weren’t all that excited when a fourth Terminator movie was announced. And when it emerged that Arnie will only have a small cameo in it (if at all!) and that it will be directed by the pretentiously named McG whose credentials include the brainless Charlie’s Angels movies we just rolled our eyes and gave up on the whole affair.

After all, when one is honest about it, the three Terminator movies made thus far are basically the same movie made over and over again: an artificial intelligence from a future in which mankind is battling for its survival against said machines sends an unstoppable killing machine back in time to kill the man who will lead the human resistance before he is born or just a boy.

But it seems the future has finally arrived . . .

When it became apparent that Terminator 4 won’t be rehashing that whole plot again (after all, how can they after the ending of Terminator 3 – Rise of the Machines?) and that it will be largely set in the post-apocalyptic landscape in which humanity is pitted in a desperate battle for survival only glimpsed in the various movies we perked up. When they cast new action god Christian Bale (Batman in The Dark Knight) we really started paying attention. Hey, this new Terminator flick just might be worth checking out after all . . .

And then came that teaser trailer . . .

So: consider us excited. Terminator Salvation as the fourth movie is now officially titled just might be a worthy entry in the franchise, one that might even equal any of Jim Cameron’s entries (come on! did you see that trailer?). Or will at least be better than the tired rehash that was Rise of the Machines . . .
I took my 16 year old son, Jason, to see T4 yesterday. On the movie thread here I gave the film a "B" at best. While Christian Bale was good, Sam Worthington stole every scene that he was in. Worthington plays a cyborg who at first doesn't realize that he is part machine.
There are numerous contrasts between this latest film version of the "Terminator" saga and the T:TSCC TV series. As you would expect, the special effects in the film are vastly better in T4 than anything in T:TSCC, and the film is packed with action while the TV series too often was slow and "talky."
However, the TV series, with the benefit of 31 separate episodes, had much better character development. I found myself not particularly caring as to what happened to the characters in T4, whereas even the lesser characters in T:TSCC were memorable.