PDA

View Full Version : Assuming no more pitchers are acquired

CySeymour
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
How should Dusty Baker et al decide the remaining spots in the rotation? At this point, I am assuming that Belisle is pretty much assured a spot. That would leave the 4 and 5 spots between the 4 young guns. Assuming everyone is healthy and in shape, should the Reds just let them "battle it out" in the spring, or pretty much just decide on them and let them prepare for the season?

For the most part, I am not a fan of starting pitchers competing for sports in Spring Training, especially young pitchers. I feel that it's much more important in Spring Training for them to get ready for the season. But then again, what other choice does the team have?

Thoughts?

redhawk61
01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Personally I feel that Belise hasn't proved a thing and shouldn't be "given" a spot but he will any way

The rotation will look

Harang
Arroyo
Belise
Volquez
Bailey

Bip Roberts
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I think Belisle Volquez and Bailey are going to be the final 3 in no real order. Then Cueto starts in AAA. I think Bailey and Volquez are in the starting rotation all year long unless they get flat out blown up like 6+ eras

AmarilloRed
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
If you count Belisle as the #3, I think there are only 3 young guns: Bailey, Cueto and Volquez. You could count Matt Maloney as one, but he might be a year away. Johnny Cueto will also start at AAA, unless he is totally dominating in spring training. I would expect to see Volquez as a #4 and Bailey as #5 if no further moves are made.

redhawk61
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah look for, about 2 months in, Volquez and Bailey to move up to 3 & 4 with Cueto and Maloney getting their shots in the 5th spot.

If your wondering where is Belise, he is sitting in the bullpen or with another team feeling scared about his next encounter with Chase Utley (if that was the guy who it 2 HR's against him in consecutive AB's)

Oxilon
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I still think Cueto's impact on the 2008 Reds will be through the pen, kind of like what the Yanks did with Joba Chamberlein last year. And honestly, I wouldn't mind that at all. Infact, moving Cueto to the setup role all but solidifies our pen for next year.

A rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Bailey, and Volquez doesn't exactly light my eyes up for this year, but I do see the potential for years down the road.

CySeymour
01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Personally I feel that Belise hasn't proved a thing and should be "given" a spot but he will any way

I agree, I like him in the pen better. But my feeling is WK and company already have him penciled in the rotation.

*BaseClogger*
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree, I like him in the pen better. But my feeling is WK and company already have him penciled in the rotation.

I disagree. Check out this ol' thread to get an idea of most SunDeck'rs opinions: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64497

I would put Volquez #3, Belisle #4, and Bailey #5. Volquez has more durability so I would have him ahead of Bailey. As for Belisle, I would put him between Volquez and Bailey because Volquez and Bailey have such similar styles...

CySeymour
01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I disagree. Check out this ol' thread to get an idea of most SunDeck'rs opinions: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64497

I would put Volquez #3, Belisle #4, and Bailey #5. Volquez has more durability so I would have him ahead of Bailey. As for Belisle, I would put him between Volquez and Bailey because Volquez and Bailey have such similar styles...

Fair enough. But let's assume for a moment that Homer or Volquez has a really bad spring. Does that automatically punch their ticket to Louisville? Or do you go ahead and say, nope, you guys start the season in Cincinnati?

*BaseClogger*
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Fair enough. But let's assume for a moment that Homer or Volquez has a really bad spring. Does that automatically punch their ticket to Louisville? Or do you go ahead and say, nope, you guys start the season in Cincinnati?

Spring stats don't bug me too much. It kinda depends on what the other guys do, and don't forget that becuase of the off days we really only need 4 starters for most of April...

AmarilloRed
01-15-2008, 03:07 PM

This whole thread is based on the premise we acquire no more starting pitchers. In that case, we will keep Belisle, Vasquez, and Bailey in the back end of the rotation. Krivsky and Co. will have no choice but to let the young kids play all season(or until Cueto and Maloney are ready) and let them take their lumps. That is why it is imperative to pick up another veteran starting pitcher.

gedred69
01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
This whole thread is based on the premise we acquire no more starting pitchers. In that case, we will keep Belisle, Vasquez, and Bailey in the back end of the rotation. Krivsky and Co. will have no choice but to let the young kids play all season(or until Cueto and Maloney are ready) and let them take their lumps. That is why it is imperative to pick up another veteran starting pitcher.

Not quite sure about the imparitive part, but otherwise, I agree. Belisle has shown the ability to be an effective starter, but has been less than consistent. (ala Lohse). Maybe Bailey learned something last year. And Volquez is intriguing. If one or two of these guys "get it", we could have a fun season. Granted those are "ifs"...... I'm growing weary of "ifs by the way"...

redhawk61
01-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Well Volquez won't as he is out of Options. If Cueto were to beat him out in ST E-Vol would be in the bullpen. Stupid Texas and their rushing of E-Vol, They tried to pull a Ryan Wagner. Hopefully we got him at the right time and can turn him into the top tier pitcher that he can be.

gedred69
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Well Volquez won't as he is out of Options. If Cueto were to beat him out in ST E-Vol would be in the bullpen. Stupid Texas and their rushing of E-Vol, They tried to pull a Ryan Wagner. Hopefully we got him at the right time and can turn him into the top tier pitcher that he can be.

Ahhhh, there is the rub. is he an adaptable, coachable, player? Or, is he a Ryan Wagner, Brett Tomko un-coachable. We shall soon see. I will be at ST to see just that sort of thing. Indications are he has the goods, but so did the afore-mentioned. I qualify that after attending a game 3 years ago, with a friend who pitched in the Minors for 3 years when Wagner got the call. He said right off, "I don't like this guy. He hops right before he throws". Watching Wagner after that comment, yep. Poor delivery. The Reds said the next year a flaw had been corrected. What's he doing now?

redhawk61
01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Ahhhh, there is the rub. is he an adaptable, coachable, player? Or, is he a Ryan Wagner, Brett Tomko un-coachable. We shall soon see. I will be at ST to see just that sort of thing. Indications are he has the goods, but so did the afore-mentioned. I qualify that after attending a game 3 years ago, with a friend who pitched in the Minors for 3 years when Wagner got the call. He said right off, "I don't like this guy. He hops right before he throws". Watching Wagner after that comment, yep. Poor delivery. The Reds said the next year a flaw had been corrected. What's he doing now?

I'm headed down this year as well, can't wait. Hopefully I get to see the three young pitchers throw as I am going to the Detroit and Pit game on the 17th and 18th.

Anyway, E-vol has some really good stuff and at the least he should be a very good bullpen arm

TheWalls
01-16-2008, 12:52 PM
This is really simple.

If no more pitching is acquired then I dub this The Year of Anticipation.

It will be spent letting the kids play. EdE, Votto and Bruce will take their lumps and endure their growing pains to make sure they are all the real deals by the end of the season. Similarly, the young starters (Maloney, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez) and relievers (Bray, Salmon, Coffey, Coutlangus, MacBeth, et al.) will all get long looks to make sure they can step up in 2009.

The marketing of the team will be "The Kids Can Play" and we'll be blown away with the glimmers of hope they all show (and the periodic immaturity and stupidity), just not enough glimmers to make the playoffs. We will also buy tickets during Junior's run to 600 and wish him well at the end of the season. Further, having the veterans (e.g. Junior, Hatte, Weathers, Harang/Arroyo) around to mentor the kids this year will be key to their growth and development.

Once the kids have taken their lumps in 2008, they would appear to be formidable in 2009. I can wait one more year as long as I get to see those glimmers all season, instead of watching more retreads. This is the best group of young talent the Reds have had in AGES.

As Alton Brown says, your patience will be rewarded.

wlf WV
01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
This is really simple.

If no more pitching is acquired then I dub this The Year of Anticipation.

It will be spent letting the kids play. EdE, Votto and Bruce will take their lumps and endure their growing pains to make sure they are all the real deals by the end of the season. Similarly, the young starters (Maloney, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez) and relievers (Bray, Salmon, Coffey, Coutlangus, MacBeth, et al.) will all get long looks to make sure they can step up in 2009.

The marketing of the team will be "The Kids Can Play" and we'll be blown away with the glimmers of hope they all show (and the periodic immaturity and stupidity), just not enough glimmers to make the playoffs. We will also buy tickets during Junior's run to 600 and wish him well at the end of the season. Further, having the veterans (e.g. Junior, Hatte, Weathers, Harang/Arroyo) around to mentor the kids this year will be key to their growth and development.

Once the kids have taken their lumps in 2008, they would appear to be formidable in 2009. I can wait one more year as long as I get to see those glimmers all season, instead of watching more retreads. This is the best group of young talent the Reds have had in AGES.
As Alton Brown says, your patience will be rewarded.

Pretty much my sentiments.I can hardley wait for George Grande's background and Chris Welsh's analysis of all this promising talent.

namichael
01-17-2008, 07:14 AM
What does everyone think the repercussions, if any, will be for having a rotation that is dominantly or completely right handed?