PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2008 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dom Heffner
01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Can't wait for it to start. Let the critic in all of us begin!

Dom Heffner
01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
That version of "Go Down Moses" had me laughing so hard it hurt. I was worse than Paula and Randy.

I thought overall it was a great premiere, mixing in more of the good singers with the lousy ones.

LawFive
01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
The chick in the pink jumper was nice. A good singer, too. ;)

OnBaseMachine
01-16-2008, 07:47 PM
The girl from Oregon, I think her name was Christy Leigh Cook, wow. She was smoking hot, plus she had that singing thing going for her too.

nate
01-16-2008, 08:32 PM
No one liked the Star Wars girl?

Tommyjohn25
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM

Wow....:eek:

Roy Tucker
01-17-2008, 08:38 AM
I liked the guy last night with the white fur hat and cape that thought Simon was some kind of god. He could actually sing, but that got lost in all the craziness.

They seem to be sending some people to Hollywood that really shouldn't go. Like the politician kid and the farmer kid.

These early audition shows are like the Gong Show.

macro
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
The girl from Oregon, I think her name was Christy Leigh Cook, wow. She was smoking hot, plus she had that singing thing going for her too.

She's my first pick to make the final 24.

Question: Have they already taped "Hollywood Week" and therefore already know who the final 24 is before any of this airs? If so, I suspect that some of these little features they do on certain people could be clues as to who made the final 24. Or is that pretty-much random?

traderumor
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
My impression overall is that there was no one who was overwhelmingly "wow!" in the first two nights, but then they usually hold those back for Hollywood week, I think.

WMR
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
OKAY: Did anyone see that girl in the black and white dress running down the stairs at the VERY END of the show last night?!?!?!?!?!?!?

BEST.
PART.
YET.

LawFive
01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Question: Have they already taped "Hollywood Week" and therefore already know who the final 24 is before any of this airs?

In years past, they've made various "welcome back" references during Hollywood week. It's several months after what we're seeing now, but I don't know if they're shown in real time like the final 24 are.

CrackerJack
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
The good looking people who can also sing will win, at least on the female side. That's my guess, and I don't watch it. Let me know if I'm right in the end.

macro
01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
In years past, they've made various "welcome back" references during Hollywood week. It's several months after what we're seeing now, but I don't know if they're shown in real time like the final 24 are.

Okay, I found the answer right here (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/11/29/american-idol-spoilers-idol-winners-sibling-and-a-daughter-of-a-sports-star-duke-it-out-in-hollywood-week/). Hollywood week was done the last week of November, so they know who the final 24 is as we speak. There are leaks all over the Web if you want to dig for them. I chose to not find out.

The Rolling Stone article I linked above also states that the "group sing" portion of Hollywood week has been replaced with an a cappella portion. I assume that means they sing solo. I think that's a good move. The group sing thing was usually a disaster for most, and I'm not sure what it accomplished.

I also stumbled across info that says the contestants will be allowed to play musical instruments this year. Interesting.

OesterPoster
01-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Apparently there is some controversy already, since the Kristy Lee Cook girl was signed to a recording contract several years ago. Is American Idol for professional singers or amateurs? I guess whatever drives the ratings, and Fox probably doesn't care.

There is another "professional" singer who supposedly makes it through to Hollywood. Carly Hennessy, or something like that.

traderumor
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Apparently there is some controversy already, since the Kristy Lee Cook girl was signed to a recording contract several years ago. Is American Idol for professional singers or amateurs? I guess whatever drives the ratings, and Fox probably doesn't care.

There is another "professional" singer who supposedly makes it through to Hollywood. Carly Hennessy, or something like that.I would argue that backup singers are professionals, and that is becoming more a part of the show, with at least two making it through last year.

Ltlabner
01-18-2008, 04:18 PM

The best part of Star Wars girl, besides her hotness of course, was that as she was throwing a big hissy about AI wanting "only people who looked the same" there was rolling footage of people cut into her tirade. And those people all looked very different from each other. :laugh:

The more she screamed about how they "all looked the same" the more footage rolled of different looking people.

Top notch.

Ltlabner
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
The creapyest part of the first night was that dude who sang directly to Paula, without ever blinking, about how he wanted to stalk her. There were mentions of wearing her underwear, various references to getting to know her in a biblical way and just some flat out scary behavior.

I know he was just trying to be goofy for the camera, but yikes. That was just flat uncomfortable.

IslandRed
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Every one of these talent shows that I've heard about only stipulates that you cannot currently have any type of recording contract. After that, the distinction between amateur and professional gets murky in a hurry. Are you a pro if you're in a band that gets paid for gigs? If you've had songs published? If you've sold self-produced CDs on the Internet? If you used to have a record deal but don't anymore? What about indie labels?

I hadn't heard of Kristy Lee Cook before this week's episode, but lots of people come to Nashville and are signed to development deals and then nothing ever happens. A development deal is something less than an actual recording contract. In its usual form, it's basically an extended tryout.

MWM
01-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I never watch the audition shows. I just can't stomach the humiliation people subject themselves to. And I've always thought that some of these people have serious mental problems and should be left off the final footage that's shown.

My wife is watching and her take is that they're going mostly for looks this year, with an exception here and there. But if you're hot and can carry a tune at all, you're going to Hollywood. Seems right that this show would mirror the music industry as a whole.

nate
01-18-2008, 06:34 PM
The best part of Star Wars girl, besides her hotness of course, was that as she was throwing a big hissy about AI wanting "only people who looked the same" there was rolling footage of people cut into her tirade. And those people all looked very different from each other. :laugh:

The more she screamed about how they "all looked the same" the more footage rolled of different looking people.

Top notch.

She could actually sing a little bit. I put her as the best of the wacky "victorious" girl and the "gold suited mumbler".

She should've gone for "Tatooine Idol"...or something.

macro
01-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Has American Idol peaked? We won't know until the season has played out, but early indications are that it's down...

Primetime Ratings: American Idol Down But Still Strong

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 1/23/2008 12:37:00 PM

Fox continues to move along smartly under Idol power, but at a slower pace than in previous seasons.

In its first one-hour outing of the season, Fox's American Idol averaged an 11.7 rating/29 share in the 18-49 demo, according to Nielsen Media Research overnights. That was good enough to give Fox an easy win on the night but down from the 13.3 rating/33 share it averaged on a comparable Tuesday last season.

For the night, Fox averaged an 8.4/20, down considerably from the similar early season Tuesday last season, when it averaged a 12.3/30. One of the differences is that last season, the show led into a new episode of House, which averaged a powerhouse 11.2/27.

In this strike-addled season, House was a repeat and averaged a 5.1/12.

NBC was a respectable second with a 4/10, led by a new Law & Order: Special Victims Unit at 10 p.m., which averaged a 4.6/12. NBC also got solid numbers out of Biggest Loser, which built every half-hour, including against Idol, and ended with a 4.9/12 in its last half-hour.

CBS was third with a 2/5 led by a repeat of NCIS from 8 p.m.-9 p.m. (2.1/5).

ABC was fourth with a 1.8/5. Its top show was Boston Legal, which came in second from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. with a 2.2/6. Its average was hurt by a 1.4/4 for back-to-back episodes (new and repeat) of candid-camera show Just for Laughs.

WMR
01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
IT HAS TO DIE SOMEDAY, DOESN'T IT???

DOESN'T IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:angry:

macro
01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Another tidbit for discussion...

Jan. 22, 2008, 5:00PM

Web fans threaten Idol's secrecy
Internet sites dedicated to show seem to be in the know

By DANIEL FIENBERG

Who is Cardin McKinney, and why are there blogs and Web sites dedicated to her? Why are "insiders" with "reliable information" on forums predicting that she's the next American Idol winner?

(Warning: This article doesn't contain any spoilers, but it talks about spoilers. If knowing the existence of spoilers is likely to spoil things for you, then stop reading.)

The short answer is that Cardin McKinney is a 20-year-old singer from Nashville, Tenn., via Alabama. If you journey over to her MySpace page, she's got a nice husky voice and she's darned attractive. She's also apparently a contestant on this season's Idol, though neither her audition nor her audition city have made it to air yet.

Support for this contestant, who hasn't even made a blip on the radars of the 30 million fans whose viewing consists solely of watching Idol on TV, is so strong on some message boards that a Cardin backlash has already begun. An alleged contestant who hasn't appeared on national TV, hasn't had to deal with an awkwardly incompatible theme night, hasn't faced the week-to-week scrutiny of the judges is already facing fierce debate on whether she's overrated.

American Idol has become a little weird.

For several years, Fox and the show's producers have done a good job of keeping a handle on the unique tightrope that American Idol has to walk. On one hand, the show is meant to be all about live-ness. The winners are chosen by the American people voting with reliably arbitrary weirdness on a week-to-week criteria known only to them. Every week's decision offers the potential for a surprise, either in the Bottom Three or the elimination and even prognostication sites like DialIdol, sites I frequent myself, haven't taken the edge off of an occasional shocker.

That being said, as much as American Idol is about live-ness from mid-February on, Fox gets its best ratings of the season out over the increasingly prolonged audition episodes that fill six to eight weeks of chilly winter programming, episodes that were filmed months ago.

It used to be that with the usual nondisclosure agreements and general media silence, Fox could air the auditions and the Hollywood round and the results were kept under wraps.

This year, though, a poster on IdolForums.com put up a list of the Top 50 back in December, a list culled from a mixture of online sleuthing, word-of-mouth and circumstantial evidence.

As American Idol reporting goes, it's a fine piece of investigative journalism.

WMR
01-23-2008, 06:10 PM
American Idol "SPOILERS"

LMAO how freakin' ridiculous. :laugh:

WMR
01-23-2008, 06:10 PM
PLEASE, I BEG YOU, SPOIL IT FOR ME.

:lol:

BuckeyeRed27
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Idol is suffering from a combination of not being as "fresh" anymore and the fact that no one is watching TV because there isn't anything new on.

MWM
01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
It could just be that people have seen plenty of bad auditions in the past and there really isn't anything they're going to see they haven't seen already. If I were the producers, I'd be more worried if ratings continued to be down once the voting started.

joshnky
01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Idol is suffering from a combination of not being as "fresh" anymore and the fact that no one is watching TV because there isn't anything new on.

I think this is the biggest issue. Because of the writer's strike and the lack of new shows I really don't watch TV anymore outside of some sporting events. The only show I watch during the week is American Idol and that is more my wife's doing than anything. I like the show but hate the early auditions.

macro
01-24-2008, 09:20 AM
It could just be that people have seen plenty of bad auditions in the past and there really isn't anything they're going to see they haven't seen already. If I were the producers, I'd be more worried if ratings continued to be down once the voting started.

I agree. I think they milk the "comedy" portion of the series too much, but apparently it brings in big ratings, so...

I think most people view the show quite a bit differently than they did a few years ago. When it first started, I viewed it as a completely legitimate search for talent and future stars. But in recent years many aspects of it have been exposed as being not-so-authentic, such as the creative editing of the early auditions, the fact that many are chosen because they make for good TV while more-talented others get sent home, and the fact that Simon/Paula/Randy are mostly just figureheads and not real judges (the producers do most of the picking, including Hollywood Week).

Still, there's no denying that stars do emerge from the series, and when they do, viewers can feel like they "knew them since they were nobodies". And while the show may not be completely real, the emotions, dreams, and ambitions of the people on it are. Some of them eventually cross over from the (somewhat) scripted world of reality television into the real world of a legitimate music career.

MWM
02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
I only watched two of the audition shows and one of them was wit the Australian guy who sang Bohemina Rhapsody last week. After his audition I told my wife I thought he could win. I think he wins this year.

I think Syesha will be the runner up. She's got a great voice (albeit very copycat), and is SMOKIN' hot. She's very likable as well. I think it comes down to those two.

macro
02-20-2008, 12:27 AM
My fearless predictions after watching the males tonight...

Definitely will be in the Top 12 overall:

David Archuleta
David Cook
Jason Castro
Michael Johns
Robbie Carrico

Going home this week:

Jason Yeager
Luke Menard

MWM
02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, Luke is definitely going and I think Jason is probably the other guy. I think Jason can really sing, but his style is all wrong, and his voice was all over the place last night. He was off pitch as much as he was on it.

But I also wouldn't be surprised is Garrett gets the boot. I'd like to see Colton get booted pretty soon, but I can already see him getting the Sanjaya vote with his bubbly, and what I find to be very annoying, naive persona. But he's heading int hat direction. The other guy I'd like to see gone is Chikese. There's few things worse on this show than performers who get a major arrogant attitude with the judges. His act has worn thin on me already in one show. Plus, he's not that good.

Dom Heffner
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Whoever sang Moon River last night was terrible.

They need to put a moratorium on dedication songs.

Yeah, your grandma may have loved that tune, but it's going to get you bounced.

My patience is wearing thin with the show. The men were horrible last night.

Dom Heffner
02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Garrett gets the boot.

He's so bad he could get a Sanjaya type following.

I know Josiah was a jerk, but he had better talent than at least 9 of these guys last night.

BRM
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
My patience is wearing thin with the show. The men were horrible last night.

No kidding. I was thoroughly underwhelmed last night.

Roy Tucker
02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
(I agree with macro's list of top guys)

I didn't think they were so bad for the first night.

Every year, there are really only about 3-4 guys that can conceivably win. For the rest of them, its just a matter of not being the worst for that week and hoping to get better the next week.

Danny Noriega and Chikezie gave me a pain in the neck. Anyone that goes by one name is little too much. This isn't South American soccer.

MWM
02-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I didn't think the guys were all that bad. Now, the girls, on the other hand were horrendous. Syesha was good, and I agreed with Simon about Carly. I didn't love it.

macro
02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I think both the males and females had several really good singers. I'll have to agree with the show's hype and say that this may be the best Top 24 in the seven seasons.

Based on what we saw and heard last night, females certain to be in the Final 12:

Alaina Whitaker (Carrie Underwood lookalike from the same state)
Amanda Overmyer (because she's so different, she'll have one segment of the votes to herself)
Ramiele Mulabay
Asia'h Epperson
Syesha Mercado

Who I hope is sent packing TONIGHT: Kady Malloy (the Britney Spears impersonator who finished the show with a scowl on her face after they criticized her - what a BRAT)

Who I think will go home tonight:

Joanne Borgella
Kristy Lee Cook

joshnky
02-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Syesha Mercado seems to be the early leader in my book. I agree that Joanne will go home tonight but I don't think Kristy Lee Cook will be the other. She has the name recognition that will carry her initially.

I didn't really like Amanda Overmyer. I know she is a different style but she enunciates very poorly and I can never tell the words she is singing. It was telling that Simon couldn't tell much difference between her skatting and singing.

Its only the first week and I can't bear to listen to Paula and Randy anymore. I enjoy the show but they are awful judges and usually incoherent in either their criticism or praise.

macro
02-21-2008, 10:11 AM
josh, I agree with you on the Cook girl, and sorta chose her by default. She's not unlike several of the others, and was the most underwhelming of that similar sub-group. I couldn't imagine any of the others being cut, so I picked her.

Randy is annoying, but at least he's sober. Paula has wasted no time in making a fool of herself, and my guess is that it will get worse. It's only a matter of time before she creates a major scene on the show. TV is about ratings, of course, and I guess she brings them in, kinda like a traffic accident gets attention.

Roy Tucker
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Pretty much agree with macro's ratings....

As much as I hate to say it, I think Kady Malloy may be a contender. I thought her vocal was very good, but the judges hammered her for "not being herself". And then she acted like a total spoiled brat witch about it, made faces, etc etc and turned me off. But I'm sure she'll get counseled on that behavior.

Paula is a bit more incoherent this season. She used to at least shut up when she lost the thread of what she was saying, but now she just blathers on and constantly interrupts Simon (which I can't stand). Besides maybe a nugget or 2 from Randy, Simon is the only one that seems concise in his criticisms.

Something we saw with Jordan Sparks last year, the younger contestants have room to grow while the 20-somethings are pretty well developed. While a little awkward at the start, I think that will turn out to be an advantage for the young 'uns.

macro
02-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Pretty much agree with macro's ratings....

As much as I hate to say it, I think Kady Malloy may be a contender. I thought her vocal was very good, but the judges hammered her for "not being herself". And then she acted like a total spoiled brat witch about it, made faces, etc etc and turned me off. But I'm sure she'll get counseled on that behavior.

The beginning and certain parts of her vocal were outstanding, and her talent will keep around provided the voting public doesn't get tired of her attitude. They may try to coach her to be more likable, but I'm not sure she can consistently hide who she is.

Roy Tucker
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
The beginning and certain parts of her vocal were outstanding, and her talent will keep around provided the voting public doesn't get tired of her attitude. They may try to coach her to be more likable, but I'm not sure she can consistently hide who she is.

You could very well be right about not being able to hide who she is.

For those who haven't seen it, Television Without Pity has hilariously snarky write-ups on some TV shows. May not be your cup of tea, but it is mine. I think about page 5 of the write-up on last nights show they describe Kady. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/Shows/American-Idol/Stories/Girls-Top-24

MWM
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Tonight is proof that the powers that be have a few people who they want to see move forward. I picked Michael Johns to win before Hollywood even started. I think they see a lot of potential for him as well. But his vocals were horrendous tonight..just dreadful. But the judges were afraid to criticize. He's going to be safe at thsi point no matter what, but in the interest of credibility, I can't believe he wasn't criticized for his vocals tonight.

MWM
02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Dude, luke Menard has got to go. That was painful. One of the worst ever on this show.

Ouch... 2 of the 3 judges actually liked it. Maybe I'm way off this year.

MWM
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I love the song Superstar, but I thought Danny Noriega butchered it.

Boy, I'm just not at all happy with anything I've seen yet tonight.

MWM
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
OK, so David Hernandez was good. That guy can really sing. He's a little boring and i don't think has the charisma to go too far in the show, but it was nice to hear a really good singer.

MWM
02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeager was OK. I didn't hink he was as bad as the judges said he was. He sung the song pretty well, I thought, but he was too cheesy. But it was a bad choice.

MWM
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't like Chikezie. Way too cocky! But he was good tonight.

David Cook was really good as well. I actually kind of like him.

David Archuleta annoys me. A lot. But i've got to admit, dude can sing. I could totally hear him on the radio.

SandyD
02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
AI PBP by MWM ;)

MWM
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
AI PBP by MWM ;)

I was bored tonight. :D Wife and kids away for the evening and the DVR was recording two things at the same time, so I had to watch live.

Tommyjohn25
02-26-2008, 09:51 PM
David Archuleta is ridiculous. I'm a singer myself, and what he's doing at his young age is nothing short of amazing IMO. I believe he could be the best male contestant the show has ever had, vocally anyways.

SandyD
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I was bored tonight. :D Wife and kids away for the evening and the DVR was recording two things at the same time, so I had to watch live.

Maybe it's time for 2 DVRs ... ;)

macro
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Last week in this space I picked Jason Yeager and Luke Menard to go home. I was wrong. I am picking them again this week. Both are on borrowed time........I think. ;)

jmcclain19
02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I made the mistake of watching tonight with my wife - how about 8 awful singers and 2 good ones.

This may be the week where I stop watching for the rest of the season.

Redhook
02-27-2008, 08:07 AM
I made the mistake of watching tonight with my wife - how about 8 awful singers and 2 good ones.

This may be the week where I stop watching for the rest of the season.

I'm not going to stop watching, but wow, these guys are terrible. Except for David Archuleta. He's great. He's far and away the best male.

I'm hoping the women aren't too bad tonight. So far, it's a forgettable year.

Roy Tucker
02-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, last night was pretty awful I thought. Which kinda surprised me. They guys had been pretty decent the week before.

Judging from the songs they picked, evidently there weren't many good vocalist songs from the '70's.

I think David Archuleta is a phenomenal talent. My only worry is that he is peaking too early and his aw-shucks attitude will wear thin.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
You know, that Archuleta kid made the whole night worth watching.

As a viewer of the show, I have been absolutely frustrated by most contestants lack of understanding of the whole "make a song your own" thing.

MWM- feel free to dice my opinion up here, but for me, it's not that hard to make a song your own.

You add some melody, you sing a run just slightly different. You make a fast song slow, you make a hard song soft, or vice versa. Do something to make a familiar song heard differently. A professional example of this was how Rod Stewart took Tom Wait's "Downtrain Train" or Robbie Robertson's "Broken Arrow" and transformed them into his own. He improved the melody.

You don't just go up there and sing a Whitney Houston song exactly note for note, you are going to fail by comparison.

What that kid did last night with Lennon's "Imagine," was nothing short of amazing, and all he did was change some runs and add some melody.

The vocals were terrific as well, but his arrangement made that song his, and how all of these contestants year after year can't get that is dumbfounding.

nate
02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
MWM- feel free to dice my opinion up here, but for me, it's not that hard to make a song your own.

I think it's very difficult to "make the song your own," especially when you're singing a classic song with a definitive version.

I mean, when you think of "Jump" do you remember Van Halen or Aztec Camera?

You add some melody, you sing a run just slightly different. You make a fast song slow, you make a hard song soft, or vice versa. Do something to make a familiar song heard differently. A professional example of this was how Rod Stewart took Tom Wait's "Downtrain Train" or Robbie Robertson's "Broken Arrow" and transformed them into his own. He improved the melody.

I don't think it's as easy as following a formula of adding notes, singing different runs, etc. Actually, those things are simply tactics as opposed to the strategy of making the song your own. The strategy being, "this is who I am and how I sing, I'm going to make this song fit me rather than me fit the song."

You don't just go up there and sing a Whitney Houston song exactly note for note, you are going to fail by comparison.

Yes.

What that kid did last night with Lennon's "Imagine," was nothing short of amazing, and all he did was change some runs and add some melody.

I would say that he was the best of the night and he's the one to beat in the competition and that he's going to be very popular. There were really only two other guys who were simply "OK" and the rest had pretty bad nights.

The vocals were terrific as well, but his arrangement made that song his, and how all of these contestants year after year can't get that is dumbfounding.

He has very mature control and poise for being so young, the best intonation of the night and the most stage presence. I think he'll at least be in the top 3.

MWM
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree with you, Dom. That's all the more reason I was so disappointed with Michael Johns last night. I've been a fans of his all along, but he was terrible last night. He was off pitch most of the song, and had to strain to hit any note outside of his primary middle range. He did a lot of shouting as well. And after all of that, he did nothing to personalize the song to him.

I agree on Archuleta as well. I'll have to get past the "aw schucks" annoyance to recognize a supremely talented individual. He's got a bright future. The difference between him and Melinda from last year is that his surprise and aw shucks seems more genuine. Melinda was fake about it. She knew she was good, but pretended to act schocked that people liked her. Archuleta seems genuinely (up to this point) thrilled that he's being received so well.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I guess I should add that maybe it's not as simple as snapping your finger to make a song your own, but most of these people don't even try. I mean, they just go note for note.

The arrangement tweaks for "Imagine" weren't that sophisticated, but he really seem to highlight the beauty of the tune, and being only 16, I'm guessing he didn't have to be a composer to do it.

I read your reposnse about Johns before seeing it, and I was in agreement from note one.

Benihana
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I agree with you, Dom. That's all the more reason I was so disappointed with Michael Johns last night. I've been a fans of his all along, but he was terrible last night. He was off pitch most of the song, and had to strain to hit any note outside of his primary middle range. He did a lot of shouting as well. And after all of that, he did nothing to personalize the song to him.

I agree on Archuleta as well. I'll have to get past the "aw schucks" annoyance to recognize a supremely talented individual. He's got a bright future. The difference between him and Melinda from last year is that his surprise and aw shucks seems more genuine. Melinda was fake about it. She knew she was good, but pretended to act schocked that people liked her. Archuleta seems genuinely (up to this point) thrilled that he's being received so well.

I completely agree.

MWM
02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
I guess I should add that maybe it's not as simple as snapping your finger to make a song your own, but most of these people don't even try. I mean, they just go note for note.

One thing to keep in mind with most of the people who have made it this far. I would bet that almost all of them have been drooled over by friends, family, teachers, etc… because their singing voice. Within their worlds, they’ve probably never gotten any feedback beyond people gushing about how good they are. So in their minds, they think as long as they open their mouths and sing, people are going to love them. Most have never been in an environment like this, where they’re not necessarily the most talented, and where the expectations are much higher. So that’s why they’re genuinely surprised when they’re not praised for their singing. They’re like, “wait a second. Every time I’ve ever opened my mouth before, everyone has loved me.” Some of them never get that they’re no longer in a small pond and who they’re being compared to is completely different.

RFS62
02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
One thing to keep in mind with most of the people who have made it this far. I would bet that almost all of them have been drooled over by friends, family, teachers, etc… because their singing voice. Within their worlds, they’ve probably never gotten any feedback beyond people gushing about how good they are. So in their minds, they think as long as they open their mouths and sing, people are going to love them. Most have never been in an environment like this, where they’re not necessarily the most talented, and where the expectations are much higher. So that’s why they’re genuinely surprised when they’re not praised for their singing. They’re like, “wait a second. Every time I’ve ever opened my mouth before, everyone has loved me.” Some of them never get that they’re no longer in a small pond and who they’re being compared to is completely different.

Sounds like every player drafted in MLB every year.

MWM
02-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Last night might have been the worst night I've ver seen on American Idol. As a group, the girls were attrocious. A couple were pretty good, but no one was great. And that girl totally butchered Hopelessly Devoted. That was painful.

Redhook
02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
This year was touted as being the deepest and best class of the top 24. Wow, were they wrong. These singers are abysmal. What a disappointment.

Roy Tucker
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I agree, MWM.

Also painful was Kady Malloy singing Heart's Magic Man off-key for the whole song.

Amanda Overmeyer has the Bride of Frankenstein look now.

nate
02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming.

I'm not sure why they let Amanda go through. She'd be great in a band but I don't think her voice is very versatile.

BRM
02-28-2008, 09:11 AM
This year was touted as being the deepest and best class of the top 24. Wow, were they wrong. These singers are abysmal. What a disappointment.

They were certainly wrong. I do think overall the girls are better than the guys though. Although that's not saying much. There is still only 2 or 3 from each side worth listening to.

MWM
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I was glad to finally see some judges comments last night on one of the problems I’ve had with a lot of the singers who have been on the show. Randy commented a couple of times about how they struggled with the verses, even though they sounded good on the chorus. It might seem counterintuitive to some, but it’s so much easier to sing at full volume in a full blown belt than it is to sing in a softer, quieter voice. That’s why I’m not necessarily blown away by that *one note* at the top of the singers lungs. It’s easy to support a note like that as it’s generally not much different than a sustained yell.

But good singers know how to support a sound when they’re singing softer. It require MORE breath support to do that than to belt out big note. To me, one of the signs I look for to tell who’s actually a good singer versus who’s just a belter is how they sound during the verses when they’re not just yelling at the top of their lungs. There’s nothing better than a strong, really supported sound on a quieter section of a song. That’s one of the problems I have with the show is everyone seems to be a belter and they’ve haven’t had that many truly great singers. I think it’s interesting that BY FAR the best singer this show has seen was Kelly Clarkson is Season 1 before the show really hit it big. No one has even come close to her in the 6 years that have followed.

klw
02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
So far I have not been captivated. I wonder if part of the issue is that there is no Sanjaya type that I am hoping to see leave. While no one is standing out at the front there isn't really a distintive weaklink or really annoying person that clearly must go. The song choices so far have been extremely dull so far. I don't remember the song options being limited this early in prior years, I thought that started with the final 12 or whatever it becomes when they just kick off one each week. Maybe if the kids could be singing songs from this century they would be more familiar with what they really want to perform.

IslandRed
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I was glad to finally see some judges comments last night on one of the problems I’ve had with a lot of the singers who have been on the show. Randy commented a couple of times about how they struggled with the verses, even though they sounded good on the chorus.

Some of them would have so much less trouble if they'd just change the key a notch or two.

I think it’s interesting that BY FAR the best singer this show has seen was Kelly Clarkson is Season 1 before the show really hit it big. No one has even come close to her in the 6 years that have followed.

It took a few seasons for my wife to drag me into watching with her, so I didn't see the first few seasons. Best in my experience, easily, was Melinda from last year. It was funny to watch how the judges essentially created an alternate grading scale for her; it was a given that she was going to sing the song perfectly every time, so they were reduced to nitpicking what she chose to sing or how she chose to sing it or her general lack of diva-ness.

MWM
02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
It took a few seasons for my wife to drag me into watching with her, so I didn't see the first few seasons. Best in my experience, easily, was Melinda from last year. It was funny to watch how the judges essentially created an alternate grading scale for her; it was a given that she was going to sing the song perfectly every time, so they were reduced to nitpicking what she chose to sing or how she chose to sing it or her general lack of diva-ness.

Yeah, Melinda was very good and very polished. I never fell in love with her because there was nothing really unique about her at all. You can find singers like her just about anywhere. Sure, she did it very well, but I felt like I had heard that style so much that there was no need for one more. I don't think she was so much more talented than a lot of the other candidates as much as she had fewer flaws from years of seasoning.

Personally, I thought Jennifer Hudson was better. I almost boycotted the show when she was booted so early. Were it not for Latoya London (who I also think is as good as Melinda), I would have. Latoya was voted off something like 5th. I stopped watching that season and most of the next once she was gone. Both of those girls were head and shoulders better than either Fantasia or Diana.

I think Tamyra Gray from Season 1 might have been the second best vocalist the show has seen.

nate
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Melinda was very good and very polished. I never fell in love with her because there was nothing really unique about her at all.

I think Melinda's personality kept her from winning. She just didn't have "star" presence.

You can find singers like her just about anywhere.

So what makes a singer unique?

Melinda was probably the best overall singer that's been on AI. I think it comes from being a background singer. Have you ever noticed the background singers being off-key on AI? People who sing background tend to have a lot of control and great pitch because the job is to support the lead singer. Also because they have to blend harmoniously with someone else...even when that someone else is sub-harmonious.

Sure, she did it very well, but I felt like I had heard that style so much that there was no need for one more. I don't think she was so much more talented than a lot of the other candidates as much as she had fewer flaws from years of seasoning.

Well, there are two things at play: vocal talent and entertainment talent. Melinda's scale was heavily weighted toward the former. People like Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Clarkson had very high levels of both. How Clay Aiken, Fantasia and big Rube made it as far as they did is beyond me; I don't find them to be great singers or entertainers.

wlf WV
02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
What I would see as an improvement to the show,would be to vote on the worst contestant each week. Most of the time we watch the show I have a definite opinion on who I don't want to see next week.

Dom Heffner
02-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I would have voted 70 times for the Leif Garrett kid if that were the case, wlf WV.

BRM
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I would have voted 70 times for the Leif Garrett kid if that were the case, wlf WV.

:laugh:

No doubt. He was awful.

MWM
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Melinda was a really good singer, but I don't think she's in Kelly Clarkson's class. Now SHE is a unique talent. Just my opinion.

Roy Tucker
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
What I would see as an improvement to the show,would be to vote on the worst contestant each week. Most of the time we watch the show I have a definite opinion on who I don't want to see next week.

I've made the same comment several times.

My daughter votes feverishly at the end of the show. I don't think I've ever voted.

Seems that this year, the back-talk to Simon is the in thing to do. Sometimes its warranted, but mostly it sounds whiny.

IslandRed
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM

I've seen people suggest it be done Survivor-style, but I think the law of unintended consequences would take over and people would gang up to get the best singers eliminated early. Then the show would be totally unwatchable, not just occasionally unwatchable.

Roy Tucker
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I've seen people suggest it be done Survivor-style, but I think the law of unintended consequences would take over and people would gang up to get the best singers eliminated early. Then the show would be totally unwatchable, not just occasionally unwatchable.

Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

MWM
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
My money is on Alexandrea to definitely get knocked off tonight for the girls. Then it could be either Kady or Alaina. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Amanda.

For the guys I think it's going to be Luke and Jason Yeager. I'd be shocked if Luke isn't one of them. I'd be a bit surprised if Yeager isn't the other, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Danny Noriega, Jason Castro, or Carrico were the other.

Ltlabner
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
[Whisper Voice] Sannnnjjjjyyyaaaaaaaa [/End Whisper Voice]

macro
02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
So far I have not been captivated. I wonder if part of the issue is that there is no Sanjaya type that I am hoping to see leave. While no one is standing out at the front there isn't really a distintive weaklink or really annoying person that clearly must go.

http://media.americanidol.com/photos/226/29038.jpg

My money is on Alexandrea to definitely get knocked off tonight for the girls. Then it could be either Kady or Alaina. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Amanda.

Please...PLEASE let it be Kady.

For the guys I think it's going to be Luke and Jason Yeager. I'd be shocked if Luke isn't one of them. I'd be a bit surprised if Yeager isn't the other, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Danny Noriega, Jason Castro, or Carrico were the other.

Yep, Jason and Luke have been my choices to go for two weeks running.

BRM
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, I was only 1 for 4 with my predictions last night. I told my wife before the show it would be Jason and Luke for the guys and Kady and Amanda for the ladies.

Please, please let Danny Noriega go next week.

MWM
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I'm shocked Luke didn't go.

BRM
02-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I can see Luke and Danny getting voted off next week unless they turn in amazing performances.

macro
03-01-2008, 10:44 AM
I haven't been doing too well with my forecasts, either. I now fear that Danny and Kady will make the Final 12.

Do all 12 get to go on tour or is it just the final 10?

Redhook
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Do all 12 get to go on tour or is it just the final 10?

I always thought it was the final 12, but I could be wrong. Either way, I hope you're not thinking about seeing them live.

macro
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I always thought it was the final 12, but I could be wrong. Either way, I hope you're not thinking about seeing them live.

Oh, no. Never have. I just don't want that Kady girl to have the pleasure of touring with the group. :)

joshnky
03-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Its only the top 10 that goes on the tour.

jmcclain19
03-02-2008, 02:02 AM
For AI fans - Chris Daughtry rips off Nickleback

http://www.votefortheworst.com/20070828/proof_daughtry_nickelback

gm
03-02-2008, 03:27 AM

Agreed. We talked about this last year with Senjaya, and the year before with Covais. I'd be in favor of a website with a rating system, Best singer gets 10 points, worst gets -10. That would take care of the "vote for the worst" rabble

Also agree with the Hudson/London comments from earlier. Fantasia winning was a sham/travesty

BRM
03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Articles have been popping up on the internet about David Hernandez allegedly working as a stripper in Phoenix. Will this news help or hurt him?

MWM
03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Articles have been popping up on the internet about David Hernandez allegedly working as a stripper in Phoenix. Will this news help or hurt him?

Without making a judgment, my opinion is it will probably hurt him more because it was a gay strip club. Either way, this will preclude a large poirtion of certain voting demographics from ever voting for him. It will will probably cost him a few weeks, but he really had no chance to win the whole thing anyway.

HotCorner
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Melinda Doolittle will be performing at Easter service at the church where my son attends pre-school/daycare. Pretty big get for such a small church.

joshnky
03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
David Archuleta is really good. I will be surprised if he isn't the last male vocalist remaining in the end and he'll likely win the thing.

joshnky
03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I can't stand Danny Noriega. He is ten times more annoying then Sanjaya last year and he really can't sing.

joshnky
03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Tonight's Top Three:
Archuleta
Cook
Castro

Going Home:
Luke
Noriega (please, but probably Chikezie)

MWM
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Another horrible night for AI. David Cook rocked. That was a fantastic perfromance. Archuleta was OK, Mihcael Johns was OK (he's becoming quite boring though) and Castro was OK. That's it. The rest were pretty bad, IMO.

Luke has to go home this week, right? And then it will be either Danny or Chikese. Either one is fine with me. Danny looked like a girl tonight.

Redhook
03-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I was actually pleasantly surprised with last night. I'm still not thrilled with this season, but I actually thought there were some good performances last night.

Luke - awful....he's gone.
Archuleta - he was good, not great, but still at the top.
Michael - he was ok.
Hernandez - he's a pretty good singer. one of the top 4 guys.
Danny - he does look like a girl.
David Cook - he was great last night.
Jason - i thought he was great as well. i was shocked.
Chikese - he and Luke will be gone.

My top 4 are Archuleta, David Cook, Jason Castro, and Hernandez. The others are pretty bad, if not awful.

BRM
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Luke has to go home this week, right? And then it will be either Danny or Chikese. Either one is fine with me. Danny looked like a girl tonight.

My prediction before the show even started was Luke and Danny going home...and they didn't disappoint last night. Both were terrible. However, I won't be shocked if Chikese goes instead of Danny. Those three were clearly the worst three of the night.

Dom Heffner
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Another horrible night for AI.

I thought it was superb given that 3 performances were top notch.

Archuleta's performance was better than people are giving him credit for. It was a bad song choice, but there were parts when he let it wail.

If he's going to do Phil Collins, why not take "In the Air Tonight" and add a touch of melody to a very dark song? It would have made him a touch older, too.

The kid with the dreds is pretty good, though he has the most awkward personality of anybody I've ever seen. He'll get the "Super Troopers"/ "Half Baked" vote for sure. "Hallelujah" will be a top 10 iTUnes song by day's end because of this kid.

Danny Noriega can actually sing, but he's too busy trying to prove how proud he is to be a drama queen.

Look- we get it. You're a diva and if this singing gig doesn't work out for you there's'a job at every single MAC makeup counter at the trendiest mall in every U.S. city just waiting for you.

But don't expect to get rave reviews from the judges and high vote counts wearing lipstick, skinny jeans, and hair that would make Jennifer Aniston jealous, while pouting through an anthem like "Tainted Love."

Chikese doesn't fit well in this group, though he can sing.

David Cook- aka "Five Head"- is really impresive. Simon was right when he talked about his stage appearance early on, but it's tough to deny a voice like that. I'm not sure how different he is from the lead singer of the best bar band in every town, but last night was magic.

What he did with a Lionel Richie song is what each of these people should be doing. It just isn't that hard. Take a song and go the opposite way with it. The lyrics to the song are very emo anyhow- somebody spilling his love for a chick- and it was the perfect match.

Luke Menard is going to pay the price for a note for note rendition of the Wham! song. That song has not aged well at all. And given Menard's look- handsome, perfectly rugged- why would you feminize yourself with a super poppy tune from a gay icon? Unless- and see David Cook here- you darken it up or slow it down. Though with those lyrics, I'm not sure that song is salvageable.

These guys need to pick songs that represent who they would be as an artist. Oh, you're going to sing Wham!-type songs? Oh goody! I'll be sure to book my cruise on the Carnival cruise line where you're performing.

Again, I think the guy can sing, but it's about song choice and that was about as big a mistake as you can make without digging into the Billy Ocean library. He's finished.

And David Fernandez. David, David, David. Look- it's 80s night. Why do a song that was made popular by Celine Dion in the 90's? So you pick a song that sounds a wrong decade sung by a diva on the same night you're revealed to have been a strip dancer at a men's club?

marcshoe
03-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm afraid that Noriega's looking like a girl will obscure the fact that he was absolutely horrible. 'course the whole problem with this show is that memorable sticks around, whether it's good or bad.

David Cook was far and away the best last night. I also though Chikese was very good, and am sorry to see him likely going home.

jimbo
03-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Here are my top 8 for the guys, from best to worst.

1. D. Archuleta - IMO, David is the obvious choice at this point. Great stage presence and the best vocals of all the guys. He'll be at least one of the last two guys standing.
2. Jason - I thought his performance was the best of the bunch last night. I also love his stage presence, and he just looks so comfortable when he's on the stage. It's just amazing how he can look so uncomfortable when being interviewed.
3. D. Cook - This guy has really grown on me. I think he has improved every week. Just not sure he has the vocals to win.
4. Michael - I think I'm still stuck on his performance singing Bohemian Rhapsody early in the competition. I thought it was fabulous, even though his performances since has been only "ok." He needs to pick it up from here on out, but I do feel he has enough talent to be in the top two in the end.
5. David - I really hope his past does not hurt his chances, because it shouldn't. Who are we to judge? I really like his vocals, but IMO he just doesn't have "it," if that makes any sense.
6. Chikezie - I'm glad he got rid of the attitude this week. I think he is a decent singer, but I also think his days are numbered.
7. Danny - Decent singer, but just too much drama and attitude. I'm to the point where I can't even take watching his performance.
8. Luke - How this guy made it past the first two rounds, let alone even getting into the top 24, is beyond me. Just plain boring.

In the end, I think David A. and Jason will be the last two guys standing.

RFS62
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Was Paula drunk tonight?

marcshoe
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I didn't see the show, but last night her wig was drunk, I think.

MWM
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Was Paula drunk tonight?

She's got to be insane. Actually, she's toned up the psycho this year.

IslandRed
03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Going into tonight, I figured Kady and Amanda were the obvious ones on the chopping block. Kady still is, although at least she can go home on a more positive note. But Amanda got her mojo back, at least for this week. Which is interesting, because if she isn't gone tomorrow, it's wide open as to who is.

BuckeyeRed27
03-06-2008, 01:21 AM
I'll go with Kady and Ayesha (or however you spell it) for the girls and Luke and Chikeze for the guys.

Overall I think the show really picked up this week. The final 12 looks to be pretty competitive.

joshnky
03-06-2008, 06:39 AM
No way Ayesha goes home. She is the best of the girls so far this year although last night wasn't her best performance. I'd say Asia'h might be in trouble.

macro
03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm starting to think that I'm really not very good at this predicting thing, but I won't let that stop me from making a big, bold one for this week. I think it was at about this point last season when Antonella Barba was sent home following a mini-scandal. I'm going to pick David Hernandez, this year's mini-scandal recipient, to be sent home tonight.

Joining him on the bus will be Luke Menard...finally.

On the women's side, it appears that someone has been coaching Kady Malloy to wipe the frown off her face and smile more, because the change in her demeanor is pretty obvious. Given her seeming lack of confidence on stage after her song last night, I'm starting to think that my first impressions of her as being conceited were wrong. It may be that the frowns were there to hide nervousness and/or self-doubt?

Either way, it's her last night on the show and Syesha Mercado will say goodbye, as well.

These predictions are guaranteed to possibly be partially correct.

MWM
03-06-2008, 08:52 AM
No way is Syesha going anywhere. She's one of the 2 best females on the show. She made the mistake of attempting to sing Whitney in the same way Whitney sang the song, but she's good enough to go through at this stage.

BRM
03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
It's a tough call on the girls. I think Kady is definitely gone but I have no idea who the other one will be. No one really stood out with a terrible performance last night. It will be interesting.

Luke is my sure pick for the guys. I hold out hope Danny will be going home as well but I think it will be Chikezie.

nate
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Best two performances this week: Amanda and the guy who did a rock version of "Hello."

Worst: Asia'h and Danny.

BuckeyeRed27
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Best two performances this week: Amanda and the guy who did a rock version of "Hello."

Worst: Asia'h and Danny.

You thought Asia'h was worse than Kady? I mean Kady's performance literally hurt my ears.

My favorites were Castro's and Kristi Lee Cooks. She could sing that country version right now and have it be a hit.

nate
03-06-2008, 12:29 PM
You thought Asia'h was worse than Kady? I mean Kady's performance literally hurt my ears.

My favorites were Castro's and Kristi Lee Cooks. She could sing that country version right now and have it be a hit.

Kady was bad too, I just couldn't remember her name.

The country version of the Journey tune would be awesome. I thought the same thing with the first little twang she put on it.

macro
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
The one who has surprised me the most is Brooke White. I really didn't expect that much of her when this started, but have loved what she has done the past two weeks. She seems to have a musical intelligence about her, as well, as if she has deeper insights than some of the others as to what will work and what will not. Rather than just trying to duplicate the single, as some are doing, she molds the songs to fit what she can do, and she's doing it well. I also think the fact that she is so nice and seemingly pure will get her votes, as well.

redsfanfalcon
03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Was Paula drunk tonight?

My wife and I were saying the same thing. The same thing was said at my work. Tonight it kind of seems like it too.

joshnky
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
This show just became so much more bearable. Goodbye, Danny Noriega.

macro
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
I got two of four right, but the two I got right were the obvious ones. I think I should stop guessing. I really hated to see As'iah go. She has been one of my favorites since the first audition. On the other hand, no more Kady or Danny Norriega.

George Foster
03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
This show just became so much more bearable. Goodbye, Danny Noriega.

The "Mango" in all of us is crying tonight:D

Dom Heffner
03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
David Cook was fantastic tonight. So was Chekezie and the girl who sang Let it be.

joshnky
03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Surprisingly this was a really good week.

Also, surprisingly two of the worst performances were turned in by two of the frontrunners, Sayeesha and Archuleta.

I'd say the bottom three will be:
Kristie Lee (absolutely terrible)
Ramielle (what happened to her?)
David Hernandez

I hope Amanda and Kristie Lee will be going home but Amanda is probably still safe.

MWM
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Dude, what the hell happened to Archuleta tonight? That was horrendous. But nothign was as painful as Kristy Lee Cook. Wow! That's right up there with the worst I've seen at this level of this show. She might get the sympathy vote from some people, but I can't see any other way she's not the one voted off.

Ramiele was also not very good, which makes no sense because she's really got some talent. She almost seems like her voice is tired. This type of competition can be hard on the vocal chords, especially for people who don't sing right.

I must be missing something with Brooke White. I just don't get it. Her voice does nothing for me. She's got that somewhat unique folky sound, but quite honestly, her voice just isn't that great. She's got very little range and rarely sings anything challenging. Again, I just don't get it. She's very average, IMO.

I've also been really disappointed in Syesha and Michael Johns. They were my two front runners in the beginning, but they've not done much to impress lately. They haven't been bad, but they've not done anything special and both are incredibly talented (and good looking). They've got much more in them.

But I enjoyed a lot of the performances tonight.

marcshoe
03-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe it's just personal taste; I love Brooke White's voice. No great explanation, there's just a quality to her voice, her style of singing, that draws me in. I also loved Chikeze tonight. I hope he sticks around for a while. David Cook will sell more records than anyone else. Carly's "Come Together" was very good, even if it didn't particularly do much for me--her voice was as good as anyone's.

If the most forgettable performance means going home, it's Ramielle. If it's the worst, there's no question--the trainwreck that was Kristy Lee Cook. Absolutely awful. 'course Mr. Hernandez was terrible as well--I'd say joshnky got the bottom 3 right.

macro
03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I must be missing something with Brooke White. I just don't get it. Her voice does nothing for me. She's got that somewhat unique folky sound, but quite honestly, her voice just isn't that great. She's got very little range and rarely sings anything challenging. Again, I just don't get it. She's very average, IMO.

Brooke has become one of my favorites. I love what she has done the past three weeks! She doesn't have that "superstar" air about her, though, like David Cook and a couple of the others. She's more believable as a nanny than as a music superstar.

I hope Amanda and Kristie Lee will be going home...

Only one per week will be sent home from now on. Then again, you may have meant to say "or" instead of "and", so I don't mean to nitpick. :)

My vote to go home: David Hernandez

MWM
03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
BTW, I've grown tired of Amada's sound (it's something I can only take in small doses), but I thought she was great tonight.

I guess I'll just have to chalk Brooke up to something I just don't get that others do. But I do have a bias for people who just aren't great singers, but have a certain appealing sound. I guess I can get why her sound is appealing, but I just can't get past her overall average vocal ability. But at the same time, many a very successful singer has found a niche that works even though they might not be great singers. Brooke does do that folky sound pretty well, so I'll giver her that.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I love Lennon/McCartney songs. Absolutely classic. Some interesting renditions of their songs last night.

I think underneath it all, Amanda has a nice voice. But its buried under that whole tough girl biker Southern bar growling shtick she has.

That country version of "8 Days a Week" *really* didn't work for Kristy Lee Cook. David Hernandez started off bad and got worse. They have to be the 2 bottom dwellers.

Brooke White is appealing, but a minor talent. Chikeze was surprisingly good. David Cook has the emo "make an old song sound modern" thing down pat now. Carly has a great voice but she just never connects with me.

I was really looking forward to David Archuleta after his version of Lennon's "Imagine" a couple weeks ago. But when in the intro he said he didn't listen to Beatle songs much, I thought "uh-oh". And then the Stevie Wonder version of We Can Work It Out and forgetting the lyrics and overall getting lost on the big stage made him fall from the leader to who is this guy?

BRM
03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I think josh has the bottom three right. Although Archuletta was terrible last night as well. That was surprising to hear.

Kristy Lee Cook is my oldest daughter's favorite because she's the "country girl" of the crew. I think she's going to be disappointed tonight though. I think she gets voted off.

MWM
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Brooke White is appealing, but a minor talent.

I guess that's what I'm referring to.

Carly has a great voice but she just never connects with me.

This is the same for me. I can't be critical of her because that girl can flat out sing. But I'm not sure she can do anything other than that top of your lungs belting, ala Heart. But she's got major pipes. She's one where I do recognize the talent, even I'm not drawn to her style. I like more emotional singers who connect with music, but also have great voices. Carly is good, but Kelly Clarkson she is not.

I really do like Dave Cook. I don't think he's as good as Chris Daughtry, who I thought was great, but he's a close second in this show's history to a true rock singer. Plus, he's a good performer and really knows what to do with music. He's a really good talent.

And Chikeze is growing on me. I've not liked his persona thus far, especially the cockiness he showed early, but he's bringing a unique flavor to this season. And he can really sing as well. I loved what he did last night. That was a reallg enjoyable performance.

Dom Heffner
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Archuletta might have a hard time with uptempo music. That age just comes off sounding theatrical.

David Hernandez is so awful that I laughed out loud with the first notes.

I would do anything to be on that show. I would love the challenge of arranging music to make it sound modern. What David Cook is doing is what I'd love to do.

Anyone who can take "Hello" and make it sound "today" is awesome.

MWM
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
What David Cook is doing is what I'd love to do.

Anyone who can take "Hello" and make it sound "today" is awesome.

Agree. While I think Daughtry was the better singer, I think Dave is a better overall artist. He's really talented.

IslandRed
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Not much to disagree with in the above posts.

Brooke: Like some of you, I'm not sure if Brooke has "star" in her. But it's no small feat to sing a simple song simply and make the audience feel it. I give her credit for that, and for being the contestant with the longest run of the right song choices.

David C.: Also finding his zone.

Chikezie: Since he expected to go home the week before, he was playing with house money and it really opened him up. Hope he continues that way.

Carly: Girl can flat sing, but it's not doing anything for me yet.

Kristy Lee: Darlin', it's okay to take the country angle, but that doesn't mean any dadgum song can be countrified. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

Amanda: Her "thing" isn't everyone's thing but at least she's lost the deer-in-headlights look and is back to doing her thing. No threat to win but she still has some run left.

David H.: To paraphrase something Simon said in an earlier season: "That is one of my favorite songs in the world and you murdered it."

Syesha: Sings well but last night didn't do much for me.

Jason: Not bad. Still hanging in the mid-pack.

David A.: Finally, cracks in the armor. He's in no danger of going home but he needs to make sure this is a one-week blip.

Ramiele: Look, she can sing. And I can understand sticking with the safe song choices and no-risks singing style while there's still low-hanging fruit to be picked. What she's not getting is that this is a critical period for building fan bases that can carry contestants through to the end, and just an importantly, save their butts if they have an off week down the road. Playing it safe doesn't grow the fan base.

Michael: See Ramiele.

BuckeyeRed27
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Overall I loved last night. I agree with much of what's already been said.

I think David goes home with Syesha and Ramiele joining him in the bottom two.

I truely think David was the worst (Kristy Lee was bad but it was more of a mistake in song). Syesha had the American Idol misfortune of going first and not being one of the best. This has proved to be fatal in past years. Ramiele is just competely forgettable. She sings well but I couldn't tell you one song she has sung yet including what she sung last night.

I also totally agree with Simon about Michael Johns. I think he could be really good he just hasn't figured out how to sing other people's music yet.

BRM
03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Overall I loved last night. I agree with much of what's already been said.

I think David goes home with Syesha and Ramiele joining him in the bottom two.

I truely think David was the worst (Kristy Lee was bad but it was more of a mistake in song). Syesha had the American Idol misfortune of going first and not being one of the best. This has proved to be fatal in past years. Ramiele is just competely forgettable. She sings well but I couldn't tell you one song she has sung yet including what she sung last night.

I also totally agree with Simon about Michael Johns. I think he could be really good he just hasn't figured out how to sing other people's music yet.

Which David? Archuletta? Honestly, I don't think either David is in danger even though Archuletta was brutal last night.

BuckeyeRed27
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Which David? Archuletta? Honestly, I don't think either David is in danger even though Archuletta was brutal last night.

Sorry. Hernandez not Archuletta.

Archuletta was terrible and forgetting words at this point is pretty inexcusable, but he has been too good so far to send home now.

Dom Heffner
03-12-2008, 11:33 AM
David Hernandez was so bad that he makes me long for Danny.

Okay, that didn't come out like I meant it to.

:)

BRM
03-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Sorry. Hernandez not Archuletta.

Archuletta was terrible and forgetting words at this point is pretty inexcusable, but he has been too good so far to send home now.

Ah, that's right. There are three David's. :)

I can see Hernandez or Kristi Lee Cook going home tonight.

joshnky
03-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I think part of Brooke's appeal is her ability to convey emotion through her singing and connect with the audience. Personally, I think both Sayesha and Carly are better singers but don't have that same appeal. If they could connect to the audience like Brooke they would be unstoppable.

MWM
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Here’s the thing about Brooke’s style. I actually LOVE singers who sing melodies pretty close to how they’re written and connect emotionally with the songs. That’s a difficult art form and you rarely see singers that can really do that anymore. One of the things I don’t care for with a lot of the AI contestants is that plenty of their performances are all about the big note or two throughout the song. So they wind up picking songs that can showcase those big notes. I appreciate subtlety and nuance in vocal performance. They don’t have to hit you over the head with how great their voice is, but I feel like sometimes the judges steer them in that direction.

I think Ramielle is a good example of how trying to connect can fail. It’s not as easy as it looks to sing a song with great melody and emotion and to really pull if off and to pull people in. That was one of Whitney Houston’s greatest strengths. She had a voice that’s never been duplicated and she could wow you with her vocal ability. But she could also sing a more melodic song and connect with the audience emotionally. Ramielle tried but failed. I think Michael Johns tried and didn’t do so hot. If you try it and don’t really connect, then you’re going to be called boring. That’s why singing these songs are risky. It’s much easier to sing the songs with big notes that can wow people.

But when it comes to Brooke, for some reason she’s just not connecting with me and I guess that’s why I’m not enamored with her at all. An artist in the past who was brilliant at singing great melodies with a great voice was Karen Carpenter. I know her music wasn’t always received well by the hard core rock fans, or the critics, but boy could she sing. And she REALLY connected with her music. Their music was all about the melody without a lot of frills attached. I love that, but I also understand why a lot of people don’t care for that. So I want to like Brooke because I have great appreciation for that style of singer, but it’s just missing with me. And when your missing a connection without the wow vocals, it makes it tough to like that singer. As Randy would say, “I don’t know, man.”

IslandRed
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Ah, that's right. There are three David's. :)

I can see Hernandez or Cook going home tonight.

Edit, never mind... wrong Cook.

BRM
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Edit, never mind... wrong Cook.

I edited my post. It's too confusing with so many Cook's and so many David's. :)

Dom Heffner
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I think Ramielle is a good example of how trying to connect can fail. It’s not as easy as it looks to sing a song with great melody and emotion and to really pull if off and to pull people in. That was one of Whitney Houston’s greatest strengths. She had a voice that’s never been duplicated and she could wow you with her vocal ability. But she could also sing a more melodic song and connect with the audience emotionally.

Just a comment on Whitney Houston. I never got it. Never did a thing for me. Her version of "I'll Always Love You" is all wrong for the reasons you state above about a big booming voice.

Dolly Parton blows her away in that regard because her performance matches the song. Sad, gut wrenching, loving. It isn't screaming because it doesn't need to be. Dolly is singing that song like you would tell a person that you absolutely love that it's over. Anyone who has ever done that knows how plain awful that can be. The way Whitney sings it, it's as if she isn't going anywhere- she's just telling someone she'll love them forever.

I think Whitney Houston is one of the least nuanced and overrated singers of all time. Yech. I think Ramiele has failed with the Whitney stuff because the songs haven't aged well and she didn't update them. The purpose of having a theme night isn't to celebrate a decade, it's to interpret the song today. Note for note stuff stinks for me, becuase I'm always going to compare it to the original. It shouldn't be, "I wonder what David Cook would sound like singing Lionel Richie verbatim," it should be "I wonder what in the world David Cook is going to do with Lionel Richie." It gives us an idea of the type of artist these guys will be.

As well- have you ever heard a remake that there was absolutely no purpose to? Smooth Criminal was redone wonderfully because it was changed to match the current trend. Jessie's Girl was done with little to no changes and it just stunk. When these guys sing verbatim, it makes me feel like I'm listening to a remake with no purpose. Why do I want to hear David Archuletta give me a note per note rendition of Imagine? He nailed that one with the arrangement changes.

I go back to Luke's Wham! performance. No new interpretation of a song that hasn't aged well equals awful.

Brooke reminds me of Tori Amos in that the voice is alright, but it has a feel to it that connects. It's like a real person singing, not some vocal adonis, flexing the chords every other bar.

SunDeck
03-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Never watched AI until last night. Was it last night? I can't remember. Anyway, there was Amanda Overmeyer singing and I was struck by two things- her hair was black and white and she seemed to be channeling Elvis.

She held my attention for about two minutes.

RFS62
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I think Whitney Houston is one of the least nuanced and overrated singers of all time. Yech.

Wow. Personally, I hate pop music. And I certainly am no expert on music.

But Whitney has the best voice I've ever heard outside of opera and broadway. I don't like her music, usually. But I can't deny her incredible talent.

MWM
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I couldn't disagree more about Whitney. I like the 80s version much better than the 90s when she tried to become too much R&B. I don't love I'll always love either. But early in her career, I thought she was great at vocal interpretation. And she could do things vocally no one else could do and she did it effortlessly and she could do it live without flaw. But I do agree her later stuff was lacking the same feeling and it did become about the voice and not the melodies.

Here's Whitney at the ripe of age of 22 years old. This is the stuff I love of hers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZq8ziVJtTU

Roy Tucker
03-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Never watched AI until last night. Was it last night? I can't remember. Anyway, there was Amanda Overmeyer singing and I was struck by two things- her hair was black and white and she seemed to be channeling Elvis.

She held my attention for about two minutes.

Is it just me or does the ratio of white to black in her hair go up and down, week to week? If I saw her walking up my driveway as a home nurse, I'd think the Bride of Frankenstein was coming.

Seemed like last night she finally relaxed a little on camera. Previously, she alternated between "deer in the headlights" and "I really don't want to be here".

Dom Heffner
03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I know I'm in the minority opinion on Whitney. Does nothing for me. It could be that I don't like the style of music, or maybe she reminds me of a car that polishes your shoes: It might be the best car around, but it doesn't need to be to do anything for me.

Rick Springfield has made a bigger contribution to my life than her wailing.

See how awful I am?

Dom Heffner
03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Who got booted off?

klw
03-12-2008, 11:37 PM
David Hernandez

Bottom three were hernandez, Christie Lee Cook and Syeesha.

MWM
03-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm torn on David Hernandez. HIs song last night wasn't near as bad as it was made out to be. Yes, it was cheesy and didn't really work for that song, but he's still one of the strongest singers in the competition. And I can't help but think the whole controversy with him is what ultimately doomed him.

As an aside, I bet Archuleta was thrilled to hear they're doing Lennon-McCarthy again. :)

Roy Tucker
03-13-2008, 08:59 AM
They did have the bottom 3 right. Having them sing when named to the bottom 3 instead of the loser's sing-out seemed to work better. Seemed particularly cruel to make someone who just got eliminated to sing a song.

I think its just getting to the point of the competition where some strong singers start to get eliminated. I think Hernandez' controversy played a role. He went a little early, but I don't think he was going to win. Like I tell my daughter, all but one eventually gets eliminated.

Kristy Lee's "8 Days a Week" version last night was less rushed and better. Band was in sync as well unlike Tuesday. Still odd, but better.

And yeah, when I heard they were doing Lennon/McCartney again, I thought David A about had a cow. I don't understand it though, he did "Imagine" so well.

TeamSelig
03-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Hernandez was better than a few of the other top 12, and IMO his incident is what sent him packing.

Carly really sold me though, I thought her performance was by far the best. Amazing.

BRM
03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
As an aside, I bet Archuleta was thrilled to hear they're doing Lennon-McCarthy again. :)

Are they really? I didn't catch that part.

You could make the case that Archuletta should have been in the bottom three this week just based on his horrible performance Tuesday. He's clearly one of the strongest singers in the group though so he definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Danny Serafini
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I really don't think the stripper story had much to do with him going. He was never a front runner and had a bad night. Those things happen.

TeamSelig
03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Well he peformed better than the country chick and the nanny IMO... and is more talented than Chikeezy, fo sheezy... although he did a great job that night

BuckeyeRed27
03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Just missed the final 3. I under estimated the awfulness of Kristy Lee. I also thought her version sounded better last night. Not good or anything...just not awful.

Danny Serafini
03-13-2008, 12:57 PM
That country thing was hideous. I can't imagine how anyone would think that was a good idea. Yet my parents both said they liked it, and they don't like country music. Go figure.

MWM
03-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Pretty attrocious night overall, IMO.

I think Ramielle is gone. She just looked incredibly uncomfortable up there tonight. She's totally lost herself in this competition. I really thought she'd do better.

Archuleta was really good and so was David Cook. Syesha's performance was pretty good, but nothing special (although she looke great). I didn't love Carly, but she wasn't bad. My problem with her is that if she's not wailing at the top of her lungs, she's very average.

What on earth was Chikeze thinking? I have no idea what that was.

Same for Brooke. She was horrendous. If she hadn't built up a lot of equity the past few weeks, she might be in danger, but she's safe.

Amanda was not good at all. Kristy Lee Scott was better, but she's still in way over head. Michael Johns is confusing to me. He's so much better than he's showing here.

Bottom three, IMO: Ramielle, Kristy Lee Scott, Chikeze (or maybe Michael Johns)

macro
03-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Pretty attrocious night overall, IMO.

I think Ramielle is gone. She just looked incredibly uncomfortable up there tonight. She's totally lost herself in this competition. I really thought she'd do better.

Archuleta was really good and so was David Cook. Syesha's performance was pretty good, but nothing special (although she looke great). I didn't love Carly, but she wasn't bad. My problem with her is that if she's not wailing at the top of her lungs, she's very average.

What on earth was Chikeze thinking? I have no idea what that was.

Same for Brooke. She was horrendous. If she hadn't built up a lot of equity the past few weeks, she might be in danger, but she's safe.

Amanda was not good at all. Kristy Lee Scott was better, but she's still in way over head. Michael Johns is confusing to me. He's so much better than he's showing here.

Bottom three, IMO: Ramielle, Kristy Lee Scott, Chikeze (or maybe Michael Johns)

I agree with pretty much everything you said, MWM, except I'm going to refer to Kristy Lee as Kristy Lee Cook. ;) :D

I, too, think that Ramielle, Kristy Lee, and Chikeze will be the bottom three.

BRM
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
It's nights like last night that make me wonder why I bother to watch this show. It was pretty lousy. Archuletta was probably the best of the night but he's really starting to bore me to tears. The kid is a tremendous singer but all he can do is slow songs. His songs are becoming sleeping aids.

joshnky
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
It's nights like last night that make me wonder why I bother to watch this show. It was pretty lousy. Archuletta was probably the best of the night but he's really starting to bore me to tears. The kid is a tremendous singer but all he can do is slow songs. His songs are becoming sleeping aids.

Agreed. Most people thought it was a bad idea to go with another Beatles night and that proved to be true. Hopefully, Ramielle, Kristy, and Chikeze will be the next three to go. That will set up a pretty good final eight. I'm also ready for them to start singing some current songs. Let them sing what they know and what they will actually be singing if they make it in the business and then see how they do.

BRM
03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Simon mentioned last night that having a second consecutive Beatles week was a bad idea. I agree completely. I thought it was a bad idea as soon as they announced it last week.

joshnky
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Yahoo! always tracks internet popularity of the contestants in regards to searches and the rankings are as follows:

Top 11 "American Idol" Contestants

David Archuleta
Ramiele Malubay
Jason Castro
David Cook
Brooke White
Kristy Lee Cook
Amanda Overmyer
Carly Smithson
Michael Johns
Chikezie
Syesha Mercado

Now I don't think these are necessarily indicative of voting because scandalous and bad candidates will generate searches as well but I think it suggests a few things things. One, four of the top five are to be expected because they've done well and they have unique personalities. Two, could Ramielle survive for longer than she should on the strength of an Asian-American vote? Three, Syesha and Michael Johns may be in trouble because they haven't generated much buzz with a serious of "safe" performances.

macro
03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Archuletta was probably the best of the night but he's really starting to bore me to tears. The kid is a tremendous singer but all he can do is slow songs. His songs are becoming sleeping aids.

I've started to pick up on that, as well. He seems pretty one-dimensional. He has the pre-teen and early-teen vote going for him, though, so it will be interesting to see if it takes him all the way. I think it will certainly take him to the final two or three.

Amanda is very one-dimensional, as well. You pretty much know what she's going to do and how it's going to sound each week.

BRM
03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I've started to pick up on that, as well. He seems pretty one-dimensional. He has the pre-teen and early-teen vote going for him, though, so it will be interesting to see if it takes him all the way. I think it will certainly take him to the final two or three.

The teenage girls screaming loudly every time they say his name is starting to grate on me as well. He's slowly becoming annoying IMO and it's a shame because he really can sing.

joshnky
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Finally! I don't have to listen to Amanda Overmeyer growl unintelligible words that she passes as singing.

I don't know how Kristie Lee keeps surviving but somehow she keeps hanging on.

Danny Serafini
03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I couldn't help but think while she was singing Back in the USSR, "I wonder how many of these 14 year olds texting in their votes even know what the USSR was?"

MWM
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Can't believe neither Kristy Lee Cook or Ramielle were in the bottom 3. This is a popularity contest. I don't mind Amanda leaving, but this is shaping up to be the worst season in the show's history, IMO.

Redhook
03-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Finally! I don't have to listen to Amanda Overmeyer growl unintelligible words that she passes as singing.

I don't know how Kristie Lee keeps surviving but somehow she keeps hanging on.

They both should be gone. They're awful. I wish American Idol would eliminate 2 per week until the Final 6 or 8. The singing last night ruined all of the positives from the previous week.

Redhook
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
this is the worst season in the show's history, IMO.

Fixed it for you. ;)

RFS62
03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Perfect. First time I've watched more than one show.

Worst season ever.

BRM
03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Can't believe neither Kristy Lee Cook or Ramielle were in the bottom 3. This is a popularity contest. I don't mind Amanda leaving, but this is shaping up to be the worst season in the show's history, IMO.

Kristy Lee Cook was in the bottom 3 along with Amanda and Carly. I don't necessarily mind Amanda being gone but I have no idea how Kristy Lee keeps surviving even though she's in the bottom 2 or 3 every week.

This is definitely a popularity contest. No doubt about it.

macro
03-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Guys, I'm going to take up for Kristy Lee Cook. She has potential as a country singer - more potential than Kellie Pickler ever had, and she (Pickler) has become a minor star. Kristy Lee's biggest weakness is her lack of stage presence, but that hasn't stopped Carrie Underwood from being a superstar.

If she can stick around long enough for them to pick a theme that suits her, she will shine. She had the right idea of giving the Beatles song a country flavor last week, but it was done completely wrong. It came out sounding like a hayseed hoedown. The key is for her to take a contemporary song and give it just a touch of country flavor. The line between VH1 and CMT is so thin today, that she should be able to do that and do it successfully.

I really like this girl, and I hope she stays around a while longer.

Finally, I was shocked and elated to see Amanda sent packing. Man, her act got old quickly!

BRM
03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Kristy Lee doesn't have anywhere near the personality that Pickler has though. Pickler's ditzy blonde routine made her appealing to a fairly large audience (I have no idea why). I'm not sure Kristy Lee has that appeal yet.

I'm rooting for Kristy Lee though. I hope she finds her way here at some point.

Roy Tucker
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I agree with macro. I thought her song on Tuesday wasn't as bad as the judges made it out to be and she is searching for a niche.

She is also white, blond, pretty, sold her horse to get to AI, and has a little pluck. Middle America loves that. It's not a singing contest, it's a popularity contest.

She's a good girl, loves her mama
loves Jesus and America too
She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
loves horses and her boyfriend too

BRM
03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I liked her on Tuesday as well. I'm definitely rooting for her. I always root for the country girls. ;)

I figured she would end up in the bottom 3 though. The judges ripped her again and Simon is right to an extent. She has no stage presence and no personality. She comes across fairly dull right now. Hopefully next week is her week to shine.

MWM
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Roy's right, it is a popularity contest and the country singers have done better than anyone else post-show.

Good points, macro. Kelli Pickler is not good at all, IMO. And you're also right about Underwood. Good singer, no stage presence at all. I watched her on the New Year's Eve show from Times Square and she basically stands there and sings. And I hear she's doing OK for herself (just once I'd like to turn on the radio and not hear her :) )

BRM
03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
I dont think Kristy Lee has as good a voice as Carrie Underwood but I see your point.

Redhook
03-25-2008, 10:16 PM
David Cook just clinched the competition with his version of "Billy Jean". That was outstanding.

However, I also thought Daughtry clinched the competition years ago at a similiar time in the competition. He didn't win, but he was by far the best of that year.

IslandRed
03-25-2008, 10:43 PM

Oh ye of short memory... :p: I'm pretty sure that the final two, whoever they are, will be better than Jordan and Blake; I'm ABSOLUTELY certain no one left is nearly as bad as Sanjaya.

This happens every year. There are usually 4-5 people who have any measurable chance of winning and there's no point in getting worked up about the order in which the rest of them disappear, as long as they're not staying at the expense of actual contenders.

macro
03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
David Cook just clinched the competition with his version of "Billy Jean". That was outstanding.

However, I also thought Daughtry clinched the competition years ago at a similiar time in the competition. He didn't win, but he was by far the best of that year.

David Cook's version of Billie Jean was nothing short of incredible. He deserves to win at this point, but who knows? He may have peaked tonight. It will be a shame if Archuletta wins, because he is NOWHERE near the best. He's killing the rest of the field in votes so far, though.

I don't normally like Carly, but I thought she did very well tonight. I was shocked that they didn't like her.

Red in Chicago
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM

Cook is definitely the best so far. I really liked his version of Billy Jean. I even had to listen to it a second time on the DVR.

George Foster
03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
David Cook's version of Billie Jean was nothing short of incredible. He deserves to win at this point, but who knows? He may have peaked tonight. It will be a shame if Archuletta wins, because he is NOWHERE near the best. He's killing the rest of the field in votes so far, though.

I don't normally like Carly, but I thought she did very well tonight. I was shocked that they didn't like her.

He cheated...a little. He was born in 1982 and "Bille Jean" was not a hit until 1983. It was the #2 song of the year.

MWM
03-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Once again it was the David Cook show. He's really separated himself from everyone else by a large margin. He was brilliant tonight.

Other than him it was a couple of average performances and a bunch of crap. I really don't know if I'll be able to watch this whole season.

I thought Kristy Lee Cook's God Bless the USA was awful and the judges liked it???? Ramielle might have been sick, so that's too bad, but her performance was awful. I HATED Michael Johns' performance and judges liked that one too. I'm just not on the same page as them this year.

RANDY IN INDY
03-26-2008, 08:04 AM
I think they are just trying to keep Johns on the show in hopes that he can finally do something noteworthy. I thought it was a stupid song choice and not a good performance. Ramielle needs to go. She is not good.

macro
03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
He cheated...a little. He was born in 1982 and "Bille Jean" was not a hit until 1983. It was the #2 song of the year.

You are right, and I didn't catch that. The Thriller album was released November 30, 1982, but Billie Jean wasn't released as a single until January 3, 1983.

IslandRed
03-26-2008, 08:32 AM

I'm not sure they've ever clarified whether a song's "year" for AI purposes is when it was recorded, released on an album, released as a single, chart peak or what. They're probably flexible in that regard.

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Tough crowd. I actually liked Johns performance last night. I thought Kristy Lee finally did a decent job as well. I agree that David Cook is clearly the best at this point but I don't think he wins it.

BuckeyeRed27
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah real tough crowd. The only one I thought was terrible was Ramiele.

I really liked Michael Johns. Queen is tough and he nailed it.
Kristy Lee was pretty solid actually. It was a weird song choice, but she did a good job.
I like Arculetta less and less. I said the exact same thing Simon did. I thought he should be performing at Disneyland with a bunch of people in jungle animal outfits dancing and some big pyrotechnics at the finish.

My picks for bottom 3 tonight are Ramiele, Chikeze and Syesha.

Roy Tucker
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
After hearing David Cook, I said that that has to be somebody else's version of that song. Didn't know it was Chris Cornell of Audioslave. If he had come up with that by himself, I'd be very impressed.

Chris Daughtry did that a few times, take a song and do somebody else's alt.rock or emo (or whatever its called) version.

BRM
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
After hearing David Cook, I said that that has to be somebody else's version of that song. Didn't know it was Chris Cornell of Audioslave. If he had come up with that by himself, I'd be very impressed.

Chris Daughtry did that a few times, take a song and do somebody else's alt.rock or emo (or whatever its called) version.

Seacrest said it was Cornell's version when he introduced it.

Roy Tucker
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Seacrest said it was Cornell's version when he introduced it.

You make the assumption I listen to much of what Ryan says. ;)

(actually, I was in the kitchen fixing dinner during his intro)

RANDY IN INDY
03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah real tough crowd. The only one I thought was terrible was Ramiele.

I really liked Michael Johns. Queen is tough and he nailed it.
Kristy Lee was pretty solid actually. It was a weird song choice, but she did a good job.
I like Arculetta less and less. I said the exact same thing Simon did. I thought he should be performing at Disneyland with a bunch of people in jungle animal outfits dancing and some big pyrotechnics at the finish.

My picks for bottom 3 tonight are Ramiele, Chikeze and Syesha.

Actually thought that Syesha was pretty good. Archuletta's act, as I expected it would, is wearing on me. Can hardly watch him perform. He is quite annoying to watch.

Yachtzee
03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Actually thought that Syesha was pretty good. Archuletta's act, as I expected it would, is wearing on me. Can hardly watch him perform. He is quite annoying to watch.

I like the drinking game where you do a shot each time he licks his lips while he sings. Makes it a bit more enjoyable.

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Michael Johns had the best peformance IMO. Sounds like some of you are not liking Arculetta because of his popularity ;) He is a great singer - he just doesn't really have a "strong" voice if that makes sense. He's the most marketable one in the competition.

I also don't think Cook clinched a win with that, I found myself spacing out during his song but it could have very well been the song that I didn't like.

I'm pulling for Archuletta and Carly ATM.

Red in Chicago
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
anyone else think syeesha looks like a an african american version of reese witherspoon? she's very hot

AtomicDumpling
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Keep in mind when predicting winners that about 80% of the votes are cast by teenage girls. So if the teeny chicks don't like a person then that person won't win. I don't think teenage girls are going crazy over David Cook, Carly Smithson or Chikezie. I think those voters are going for David Archuleta, Brooke White, Jason Castro and Michael Johns and I think the winner will come from that foursome.

I really like David Cook and think he has the most talent, but I don't think he will win. I also like Brooke White.

Syesha's voice impressed me for the first time last night. Michael Johns really owned that Queen song.

Carly has the best pure singing voice but her stage presence is poor and her personality is not attractive. Ramiele is boring and I can't imagine anyone buying her songs. Kristy Lee Cook is getting better but she can't win.

I can't stand the judges. Paula and Randy have no business on the show. They are totally clueless. They never have anything interesting or helpful to say. Paula can't even form a coherent thought or utter an intelligible sentence. Randy chooses from three options: "poor song choice", "pitchy", or "didn't work for me". Get rid of them please!

TeamSelig
03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Paula has gotten worse and worse each week. UGH I hate how she studders constantly. Then when someone puts down the singer, she will change her opinion and say that they are great and she loves them.

Half the time, Simon will insult them as their compliment, or make up something bad to draw some "heat"

Randy is an idiot. Dawg that was great dude.

Yachtzee
03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Michael Johns had the best peformance IMO. Sounds like some of you are not liking Arculetta because of his popularity ;) He is a great singer - he just doesn't really have a "strong" voice if that makes sense. He's the most marketable one in the competition.

I also don't think Cook clinched a win with that, I found myself spacing out during his song but it could have very well been the song that I didn't like.

I'm pulling for Archuletta and Carly ATM.

Really? My wife and I find Johns to be a slightly out of tune Micheal Hutchence trying to be Freddy Mercury. I don't like ArchuD2 because he's way too breathy and often sounds very bland and unremarkable. If I heard him on the radio, I would have no idea it was him or some other young pop singer. I enjoyed Amanda Overmyer, but realize her style of singing just isn't suited for this type of show. She'll do well singing in her own style. She just needs to hook up with a band or songwriters who can help her with some original songs. I think David Cook is very good, even if I hate his hair. Brooke White and Jason Castro are good as well, but would be better doing their own songs rather than just covers. They each have a uniqueness about them the rest of the singers don't have.

The two I find the least tolerable are Carly Smithson and Syesha, a.k.a. the cut-rate versions of Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. Smithson ruined "Blackbird" with by Dionizing it and couldn't handle "Total Eclipse of the Heart." Syesha sounds like she wants to play Whitney when they come out with the movie. I think both could make it to the top 4-5, only to bow out like Melinda Doolittle when people realize they don't really sound much different than what's already out there. They will then either go on to success on Broadway or try to release their own album, which will fail and result in them being dropped from the label.

RedLegSuperStar
03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
who got voted off?

GIK
03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
OK, I'll post and admit I watch the show. :)

If David Cook doesn't win, he'll still have a better career than whoever does.

LOVED his performance last night.

Love MJ, love Chris Cornell. It was great.

Danny Serafini
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
who got voted off?

Chikezie, who seemed to have an impending sense of doom all night.

BRM
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
who got voted off?

Chikezie. Was anyone else surprised to see Castro in the bottom three?

MWM
03-27-2008, 12:32 AM
This show is starting to irritate me more than usual. Ramielle has been just awful since Hollywood, and you can walk into just about any high school and find a dozen girls who can sing as well as her, yet they escape week after week. I was never a fan of Chikeze, but he was so much a better singer than several people still in the competition.

RANDY IN INDY
03-27-2008, 05:50 AM
This show is starting to irritate me more than usual. Ramielle has been just awful since Hollywood, and you can walk into just about any high school and find a dozen girls who can sing as well as her, yet they escape week after week. I was never a fan of Chikeze, but he was so much a better singer than several people still in the competition.
:beerme:

klw
03-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Did you vote for Chikeze?

I agree it should have been Ramielle going. Nice voice but 0 stage presence.

Danny Serafini
03-27-2008, 09:28 AM

Fully expected it. He's been bad for two weeks now, you can only coast for so long.

MWM
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM

My high school comment was directed at Kristy. She's not uniquely talented. Talented, yes. Any more talented than the talented girls at your average high school? No. But I did mean to say Ramielle when I said she's been awful since Hollywood.

BRM
03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Fully expected it. He's been bad for two weeks now, you can only coast for so long.

I really thought the teenage girls would keep him cruising. I figured he and Archuletta had a lot more rope and could get away with a poor performance easier than say, David Cook.

MWM
03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't think Chikeze has been "bad". It wasn't the best of song choices, but he sang it really well, just from a singing standpoint. The guy can sing whether you like him or not. He can sing circles around about half the people left. When he was singing this week, I was thinking exactly what Simon said, that it was cheesy and over the top. But from a vocal standpoint, it was really good. Kristy basically stood there and sung her sung just like it was written. Anyone who can sing at all could have delivered her performance. You want "bad"? Ramielle for about 4 straight weeks now has barely been able to sing half her songs on pitch. She screamed this week's song as it was so bad it was painful to watch. Yet she's not even in the bottom 3, while Syesha delivers a vocal performance that took talent and performance ability and she's in the bottom 2. I don't get it. Syesha is light years better than either Ramielle or Kristy or Brooke, yet she's barely staving off elimantion every week. It's just ridiculous. Every year there's always that one person who goes way farther than they should (John Stevens, Ace, Sanjaya), but this year it's multiple people. It's irritating.

BuckeyeRed27
03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I think the only person really skating through is Ramiele. Everyone else I can see why they are there. I think its actually quite a bit of talent this year and have mostly enjoyed the show. It's WAY better than last year.

Yachtzee
03-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I really thought the teenage girls would keep him cruising. I figured he and Archuletta had a lot more rope and could get away with a poor performance easier than say, David Cook.

I think Castro is pretty good, but like Amanda Overmeyer, who I also found to be pretty good, he's got a style that is suited for a certain kind of music and therefore finds it difficult when the week's theme leaves him with limited choice. For example, I think he would have done a much better version of "Blackbird" than Smithson, but he's got to deal with the fact that they pick from a limited selection and one person is going to get a song they want and the other is not. The other problem he has is that he, like Brooke White, looks really dorky trying to dance and should therefore always take the stage with an instrument. I'd like to see what Castro could do with something more contemporary, like maybe something from Death Cab for Cutie or the Shins. He should avoid Jack Johnson to avoid unflattering comparisons.

I would have liked to seen a wider range of song choices too. I really would have liked to see Amanda Overmeyer take on "Ace of Spades" by Motorhead, but I figure a choice like that isn't poppy enough for the AI producers.

Yachtzee
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't think Chikeze has been "bad". It wasn't the best of song choices, but he sang it really well, just from a singing standpoint. The guy can sing whether you like him or not. He can sing circles around about half the people left. When he was singing this week, I was thinking exactly what Simon said, that it was cheesy and over the top. But from a vocal standpoint, it was really good. Kristy basically stood there and sung her sung just like it was written. Anyone who can sing at all could have delivered her performance. You want "bad"? Ramielle for about 4 straight weeks now has barely been able to sing half her songs on pitch. She screamed this week's song as it was so bad it was painful to watch. Yet she's not even in the bottom 3, while Syesha delivers a vocal performance that took talent and performance ability and she's in the bottom 2. I don't get it. Syesha is light years better than either Ramielle or Kristy or Brooke, yet she's barely staving off elimantion every week. It's just ridiculous. Every year there's always that one person who goes way farther than they should (John Stevens, Ace, Sanjaya), but this year it's multiple people. It's irritating.

Syesha's problem is that she is boring and unremarkable. Nothing sets her apart from what's out there today or even 20 years ago. Ramielle probably has Danny Noriega fans behind her and chooses songs not suited for her. I think AI contestants need to stop picking songs by Whitney, Celine, Heart, and Janis Joplin because they just seem to pale in comparison to the original (and Celine is pretty darn annoying as it is). I'd like to see Syesha dump the Whitney clone act and pick a song with some personality.

Guys need to stop picking Queen songs because no one can match Freddy Mercury and people who try end up sounding strained and out of tune.

KLC probably got out of the bottom three because they showed a clip of her always being in the bottom three, for which she got some sympathy, and she chose a song which struck a cord with certain demographics. She'll probably be back there next week.

joshnky
03-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I think the only person really skating through is Ramiele. Everyone else I can see why they are there. I think its actually quite a bit of talent this year and have mostly enjoyed the show. It's WAY better than last year.

I agree and up to this point I haven't been upset about anyone that has been sent home. There is clearly two tiers in this competition. Those that have potential to win and have had some great performances and those that are just hanging on. Kristy Lee and Ramielle are probably the last two left from the second group and I might throw Johns in there as well.

TeamSelig
03-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Yep. I'm not really a fan, but seems like he has a huge crowd each time. Thought for sure it would be Kristy Lee Cook

BuckeyeRed27
03-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Yep. I'm not really a fan, but seems like he has a huge crowd each time. Thought for sure it would be Kristy Lee Cook

KLC is the only "country" person. As long as she isn't horrible she will survive and she wasn't this week. She won't make it past the Top 6 though.

joshnky
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
David Cook is really, really good. He is in another league compared to the rest of the contestants. I'd be shocked if he doesn't win this thing.

joshnky
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Jason Castro was decent but not great.

I don't know if anyone else notices this but Simon's response is very predictable whenever someone sings a song with a religious bent. He usually doesn't like it and always thinks its "indulgent." I know music with religious undertones is nonexistent in Britain but it has its place in both mainstream and Christian music in America.

joshnky
04-01-2008, 08:34 PM
It's obvious that Simon doesn't like Dolly Parton music much. I'm not sure how much input he has in the selection of guest mentors but you'd think he wouldn't bash every song.

Red in Chicago
04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
It's obvious that Simon doesn't like Dolly Parton music much. I'm not sure how much input he has in the selection of guest mentors but you'd think he wouldn't bash every song.

does anyone like dolly parton music;)

marcshoe
04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm bored with it all. I'm going to start rooting for Carly because Simon doesn't like the way she dresses.

Dom Heffner
04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
does anyone like dolly parton music;)

Dolly Parton would be in my top 20 favorite artists of all time and probably in my top 10 of musicians I'd like to meet.

She puts Whitney to shame, I don't care what anybody says.

And if you can't feel Jolene, you ain't alive.

Legend. Sweetheart.

It might have something to do with singing with my mom on the fireplace (the stoker was the microphone) but I loved the show tonight. Simon is an idiot for not recognizing what Carly did with Here You Come Again. Nights like this he really seems out of touch.:)

MWM
04-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Some really good performances tonight. I think it was the best night of this season.

David Cook was really good once again. I also thought Archuleta was really good.

Michael Johns was fantastic. He was the best of the night I thought. This is what I thought he'd deliver more consistently.

Castro was pretty good and Carly was Carly. I can't say much to criticize her. She's really good, but I just don't like that style. she did hit on one of my pet peeves tonight in trying to make the performance about one big note. I hate that. Give me a good performance, not an average one with a great note at the end.

Once again Brooke White was boring. I also rememer that song from when I was young and I just didn't think she did anyting at all with it. I still just don't get her at all. Nothing about the way she sang tonight made me think she's anything special.

And I'm baffled as to why Ramielle keeps getting loads of votes. She's just not good.

I think Syesha is as good as gone. She didn't learn. I KNEW she was going to do the Whitney version once I heard it was Dolly night. That's the song Whitney has sung more than any other song. Every note she sang all I could hear was Whitney singing it 1000000X better. And then she did that looooooooong note at the end that just didn't fit. She's gonzo, IMO.

KoryMac5
04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I thought Archuleta was different tonight, usually after he sings he gets this "aw shucks you really like me" look on his face. Tonight he looked more professional and confident, which is good because his act was wearing on me.

Michael Johns was my fav for the night.

BRM
04-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Archuletta is very talented but he is still incredibly boring to me. David Cook and Michael Johns were my top two performers tonight.

macro
04-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Every song Archuletta sings sounds exactly the same as the other songs he sings. It's like the same thing every time. He has a great voice, but no range of style. For that reason, he shouldn't be around for the final two or three, but he will be, thanks to teen and preteen female voters.

My pick for this week: Ramiele Mulabay is a goner.

MWM
04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Every song Archuletta sings sounds exactly the same as the other songs he sings. It's like the same thing every time. He has a great voice, but no range of style. For that reason, he shouldn't be around for the final two or three, but he will be, thanks to teen and preteen female voters.

My pick for this week: Ramiele Mulabay is a goner.

You could say the same thing about every contestant on the show this year. I can't think of one that's left who doesn't sound the same every song they sing. Carly sings every song the same, so does David Cook, so does Michael Johns., etc.... And so does just about every recording artist alive today.

Roy Tucker
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Some really good performances tonight. I think it was the best night of this season.

David Cook was really good once again. I also thought Archuleta was really good.

Michael Johns was fantastic. He was the best of the night I thought. This is what I thought he'd deliver more consistently.

Castro was pretty good and Carly was Carly. I can't say much to criticize her. She's really good, but I just don't like that style. she did hit on one of my pet peeves tonight in trying to make the performance about one big note. I hate that. Give me a good performance, not an average one with a great note at the end.

Once again Brooke White was boring. I also rememer that song from when I was young and I just didn't think she did anyting at all with it. I still just don't get her at all. Nothing about the way she sang tonight made me think she's anything special.

And I'm baffled as to why Ramielle keeps getting loads of votes. She's just not good.

I think Syesha is as good as gone. She didn't learn. I KNEW she was going to do the Whitney version once I heard it was Dolly night. That's the song Whitney has sung more than any other song. Every note she sang all I could hear was Whitney singing it 1000000X better. And then she did that looooooooong note at the end that just didn't fit. She's gonzo, IMO.

I agree. It was a good show. I love Dolly.

David Cook has a knack for alternative versions of songs and make them sound original again. He is this years version of Chris Daughtry and I'm starting think he'll win the whole thing.

David Archuletta can sing soulful quieter songs much better than the big note power songs. Such a nice kid too.

Actually, I thought Brooke White was pretty good last night. Jolene is a song about vulnerability and desperation and I thought Brooke brought that out of the song. But it wasn't the big showy stuff that AI likes.

When Syesha sang the first line of her song, I thought "no, don't do it". She did a credible job, but nobody can ever sing that song like Whitney and comparisons are inevitable.

Carly just powers through every song. Her song last night called for nuance and she just blasted through it with that big voice of hers. I thought it was a little funny Simon called her on what she wore. Every time they show her husband, I think of Pequod from Moby Dick.

To me, Jason Castro sings every song the same. Ramiele looked (and performed) like dead woman walking. Kristy Lee's pipes just aren't as good as everyone left and her time may be coming.

A lot of people like Michael Johns. I think he's just OK.

nate
04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I think Ramiele and Kristy Lee were the worst last night.

David Cook was good. Unfortunately, he's having some medical (http://www.tmz.com/2008/04/02/idol-contestant-gets-rx-at-hospital-goes-home/) problems.

I thought David Archuletta was the most entertaining. Great poise, very good pitch and great song choice.

I liked Michael Johns. His voice kind of reminds me of Daryl Hall.

Syesha was better than expected with her tune...although it was, to me, just "good enough."

joshnky
04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Kind of a blah night overall. No one was awful and conversely, no one was great either. If I had to pick, I liked Jason Castro's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" the best. Carly looked awful and had some serious pitch issues as well. She needs to go.

Redhook
04-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I think David Cook, Archuleta, and Jason Castro have separated themselves from the field. Brook is the only female that I can stand listening too.

Roy Tucker
04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Actually, I thought everyone was pretty good. The judges are getting very critical now.

I wondered what happened to Carly in the middle of her song and when she said she saw Simon's frowny face and it scared her, I thought it hilarious. David Cook's song was really odd. David Archuletta sings best when he can emote. He's not a big belter. Brooke White puts almost too much of herself into her singing.

And wasn't that the version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow they played on ER when Mark Greene died?

Yachtzee
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Actually, I thought everyone was pretty good. The judges are getting very critical now.

I wondered what happened to Carly in the middle of her song and when she said she saw Simon's frowny face and it scared her, I thought it hilarious. David Cook's song was really odd. David Archuletta sings best when he can emote. He's not a big belter. Brooke White puts almost too much of herself into her singing.

And wasn't that the version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow they played on ER when Mark Greene died?

I love how Carly said she was inspired by Freddie Mercury singing at Live Aid. Live Aid occurred in 1985, when the young Carly was not yet two. And I can't recall if she said that he sang that song at Live Aid, but it wasn't released until the early 1990s. I told my wife that she's pretty impressive if she was inspired at less than 2 years old. If ArchuD2 had been inspired by Live Aid, he would have been negative 5 at the time. Of course I'm sure in Ireland they show repeats of Live Aid on TV all the time, so I guess she could get the benefit of the doubt. She just seems so dishonest about her past.

I thought Brooke was going to cry. Castro's song was nice. I don't expect them to necessarily come up with completely original versions considering the limited time they have to prepare. David Cook has been using the internet to dig up some of his arrangements too. I missed some of the others.

BRM
04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I guess I'm the oddball. Castro was easily my least favorite of the night. His was the one song where I thought if I heard that on the radio, I'd change stations. Overall, not a bad show IMO.

BuckeyeRed27
04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Overall I thought last night was good.

Michael Johns and Jason Castro were my favorites and I thought Kristy Lee was pretty good too.

My bottom three are Syesha, Carly and David Cook. I think David has been the best all along but last night he was pretty awful. I think Syesha goes home.

marcshoe
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
BRM, Castro was my least favorite as well. I just didn't get it. I thought Michael Johns was the best of the night--his second very good performance in a row.

Archuleta was very good. I liked Brooke very much again, though I don't see her going very far.

BRM
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
BRM, Castro was my least favorite as well. I just didn't get it. I thought Michael Johns was the best of the night--his second very good performance from him in a row.

At least I'm not alone then. :)

I like Michael Johns as well but the judges didn't seem too high on him for some reason. I was glad to see Kristy Lee Cook have a very good night. I hope she can avoid the bottom three for once.

IslandRed
04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm guessing David Archuleta and David Cook (despite what Simon would probably refer to as an "indulgent" song choice) are still pretty solid. I'm not sure what to think about Michael. I don't remember him ever ending up in the bottom three but I don't sense him being a crowd favorite either. Jason probably had a good enough week to stay. So I'm guessing one of the girls ends up gone, probably Syesha.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2008, 12:05 PM
So, did anyone watch the Idol Give Back extravaganza last night?

nate
04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Every time I see "Jason Castro" I read "Juan Castro."

BRM
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Every time I see "Jason Castro" I read "Juan Castro."

:laugh:

Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of his.

BRM
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, I certainly didn't see that coming. Michael Johns? Give me a break.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I was more than a little surprised too. But this is where the popularity and not a talent contest begins to set in.

Michael Johns is a little too old to be a heartthrob of the vast sea of teen voters AI gets.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Rumors all over the American Idol boards that last night was a joke and Johns will be back next week. I'm not buying it.

Danny Serafini
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Rumors all over the American Idol boards that last night was a joke and Johns will be back next week. I'm not buying it.

That's just desperate people clutching at straws. They need to get over it.

I'm surprised, but not shocked, that he's gone. He's talented, but he's phoned in too many performances to have had a real chance.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
The stunning part for me is there are 3 or 4 who should have went in his place. That and he's never been in the bottom 3 before (that I can remember). He'll end up with a better career than most of the ones left in my opinion. Mainly due to the style he'll get into.

WMR
04-11-2008, 12:30 PM
LOL, BRM, turn in your guy card.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:32 PM
LOL, BRM, turn in your guy card.

It's the one show I watch with my wife. I have to keep her happy too, you know.