PDA

View Full Version : Saarloos back with Oakland

AmarilloRed
01-16-2008, 12:44 AM
A's: Saarloos is invited back

Susan Slusser, San Francisco Chronicle

(01-15) 19:48 PST -- Right-hander Kirk Saarloos, who won 19 games for the A's from 2004 through 2006, was signed by the team to a minor-league deal Tuesday with an invitation to big-league spring training.

"We need as many bodies as we can get and Kirk is looking for a place to get himself back on the map," A's assistant general manager David Forst said. "It's good risk/reward from our standpoint and Kirk is a good guy to have around."

Saarloos, 28, who was traded to the Reds on Jan. 23 for pitcher David Shafer, was a popular member of the clubhouse - but only a year later, there are but a handful of his former teammates remaining.

"There's hardly anyone I even know," Saarloos said. "But it's exciting, it kind of feels like when I first came over, like I'm back where I started - coming into the spring not on the roster and trying to win a spot."

Saarloos had a rough year with the Reds, going 1-5 with a 7.17 ERA.

"Nothing seemed to go right," he said. "But the A's know what I can do and I think this is the best fit for me. Oakland's going young, they're in a rebuilding phase, and for me, it's a great opportunity because they might need a little filler so they don't have to rush these young guys or start their clocks too soon."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/15/SPSNUFSGR.DTL&feed=rss.ath
letics

I wish him all the luck, but he clearly has a lot to prove.

smoke6
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I always called Saarloos "Octane" because he always seemed to throw gas on the fire.

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I always called Saarloos "Octane" because he always seemed to throw gas on the fire.

:laugh: can I add that to my sig?

roby
01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE= "it's a great opportunity because they might need a little filler so they don't have to rush these young guys or start their clocks too soon."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/15/SPSNUFSGR.DTL&feed=rss.ath
letics

Looks like he picked up the Cincinnati Reds philosophy while here!

Bip Roberts
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Glad to see its not hard to find a job in the majors

Vada Pinson Fan
01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Remember how glad Scott Hatteberg was when the Reds traded for Saarloos? Hatteberg, from his Oakland A's days as a teammate of Saarloos' told the press the Reds had made a great move and Saarloos would add a lot to the pitching staff. Not a quote but was the gist of it. I was hoping KS would have signed on with a NL Central opponent instead of the minor league contract with the A's.

Kirk Saarloos- The Reds "Captain Kirk": Where trying to win a game was his final frontier (1-5 in Cincinnati) and where no E.R.A.(7.17) had gone before. :)

Reportedly ( http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/saarlki01.shtml ) Saarloos made $1,200,000 last year as a Red and with his one victory, the cost per victory was
(_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _)*
*-your adjective(s) here!

CarolinaRedleg
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Their looss.

fadetoblack2880
01-16-2008, 11:11 PM
What a great pickup for Oakland. He can replace Haren in the rotation and help anchor that pitching staff. I see the A's making a run for the title now...:dunno:

01-16-2008, 11:31 PM
To be honest I thought he was completely mis-used by Narron at the beginning of the season. He is a long man, spot starter, who was used as the first 8th inning guy.
I think that screwed him up and ruined him for the rest of the year. He did have a terrible attitude, so glad to see him go, but if used right, he could be a decent long man again.

redsupport
01-17-2008, 01:52 AM
He has got a chance to be the next Gerry Arrigo

Degenerate39
01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I hope he does better with Oakland than he did with Cincy. I hated to see him pitch with the Reds but maybe him pitching in a Pitcher's ballpark would help him out. Good luck to you Saarloos chances are you'll need it.

SMcGavin
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
When we got him last year I actually thought it was a pretty good gamble. Low cost, sinkerball pitcher, might work out. Wow was I wrong.