PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man movie looks KICK ASS - Link to trailer

WMR
01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/trailers.php

This movie looks like it is going to be absolutely amazing. Favreau is a good director, as well.

This is an AWESOME trailer.

KoryMac5
01-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Talk about getting the casting right for this movie.

WVRed
01-16-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm hoping they come out with a new trailer soon. That being said, Downey is perfect for the role of Tony Stark.

That and The Dark Knight are going to be the two movies I see this summer for sure.

MrCinatit
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
The soundtrack alone makes it worth it.

WVRed
05-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Just got back from Opening Night.

This is the best Marvel movie I have seen in a long time. Definitely makes up for the lackluster Spiderman 3 and Silver Surfer movies last year.

I didn't stay for it since I got out at like 12:30, but there is a scene after the credits where Tony meets with Nick Fury(Samuel L Jackson) who introduces the idea of the Avengers.

Best superhero movie I have seen since Batman Begins. The Incredible Hulk looks like it will be good too.

Larry Schuler
05-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Probably the most entertaining super hero movie ever made. I thought the pacing & "bright" look of the film were perfect and something not achieved by any other film (Batman Begins included, which I think is a hair better of a film if only because of its cast and more dramatic tone). Anyway, the 2+ hours went by like nothing and the ending was a surprising delight.

Jack Burton
05-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I'll save opinion til I see it, but all the recent comic book movies have been commercial trash IMO. Batman Begins was ok, not as horrible as the others.

GAC
05-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Just got back with the kids from seeing it. A good movie, but not awesome IMO. I thought it kinda dragged for the first 30 minutes or so in their attempt to show the evolution of the costume design and the Iron Man character. Definitely was setting up for the sequel IMO. I thought Downey did an admiral job as Stark and carried the movie. Well worth the watch.

I thought the trailers for the new Hulk movie with Ed Norton looked solid. They definitely did some modification on the computer generated Hulk - somewhat smaller in stature, but more fierce looking. Looking forward to seeing that one which comes out June 13th.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/859/859131/the-incredible-hulk-20080312044219736_640w.jpg

http://incrediblehulk.marvel.com/

joshnky
05-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Just got back with the kids from seeing it. A good movie, but not awesome IMO. I thought it kinda dragged for the first 30 minutes or so

I agree. Good movie and better than most comic book movies but it didn't quite live up to the reviews. Not enough action and too much time spent on the building of the suit.

pahster
05-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought the trailers for the new Hulk movie with Ed Norton looked solid. They definitely did some modification on the computer generated Hulk - somewhat smaller in stature, but more fierce looking. Looking forward to seeing that one which comes out June 13th.

If they're gonna ignore Ang Lee's Hulk movie, can we get a do-over on X-Men 3? :p:

WVRed
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Just got back with the kids from seeing it. A good movie, but not awesome IMO. I thought it kinda dragged for the first 30 minutes or so in their attempt to show the evolution of the costume design and the Iron Man character. Definitely was setting up for the sequel IMO. I thought Downey did an admiral job as Stark and carried the movie. Well worth the watch.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/859/859131/the-incredible-hulk-20080312044219736_640w.jpg

http://incrediblehulk.marvel.com/

When you compare it to last years movies, there was significant improvement. Most of the origin movies do not contain the action that people crave(unless its Spiderman, which is just a joke in itself). The big time action doesn't take place until the sequels.

The sequel has been pretty much rumored to focus on Tony's alcoholism, probably with Happy Hogan(Pepper's love interest) entering the picture. I'd say Rhodey will become War Machine as well.

I have a feeling that before all is said and done, all of these Marvel Superhero movies(Hulk, Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, Fantastic Four, X-Men) will all tie together to create an Avengers type movie.

Larry Schuler
05-03-2008, 11:52 PM
The movie was about the character Tony Stark who I thought was compelling to watch and see change. I didn't necessarily need to see Iron Man blow things up to keep my attention. The fact that we got 3 solid, better-short-than-drawn-out action scenes with Iron Man was great icing on an already delicious cake. Watching him destroy those weapons in the desert was so much more gratifying knowing what Tony Stark had been through and why he was doing what he was doing. Otherwise he is just being a superhero just to be a superhero and you have a movie with as much depth as Fantastic Four or Elektra. And to me, that is what makes a movie boring.

GAC
05-04-2008, 04:46 AM
The sequel has been pretty much rumored to focus on Tony's alcoholism, probably with Happy Hogan(Pepper's love interest) entering the picture.

Which, IMHO, is what dragged down Spidey II and III - overemphasis on the relationship between Peter Parker and Mary Jane. Growing up reading comics, I always knew my heroes like Superman and Batman had GFs (Lois Lane, Vicky Vale, etc); but these were always in the background to the main storyline, action, and fighting versus the super hero bad guy. That is what kept me buying them and coming back, kept me in suspense. Not that Superman and Lois were drifting apart. I understand movies are not comic books, and those "elements" are needed in the storyline. But keep it in perspective. Don't over emphasize.

This is not the Lifetime Movie Network. :lol:

I have a feeling that before all is said and done, all of these Marvel Superhero movies(Hulk, Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, Fantastic Four, X-Men) will all tie together to create an Avengers type movie.

Most likely. DC is behind though if it wants, at some point, to do a Justice League of America one. Ain't seen nothing on the Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Hawkman, and Martian Manhunter. Of course those were the original ones from the early 60's. ;)

Unassisted
05-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Just got back with the kids from seeing it. A good movie, but not awesome IMO. I thought it kinda dragged for the first 30 minutes or so in their attempt to show the evolution of the costume design and the Iron Man character.
I haven't seen it yet. The local critic's main complaint was that it took far too long for the movie to get Tony Stark into the Iron Man suit.

*BaseClogger*
05-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I hate these superhero movies, but Iron Man kicked butt. Then again, I don't have anything like the comic books to compare it to...

SteelSD
05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I hate these superhero movies, but Iron Man kicked butt. Then again, I don't have anything like the comic books to compare it to...

Some background from the comics...

The "origin" piece of the storyline was perfect. Other than Spiderman, it's the superhero movie that most closely mirrors the real origin of the character (from Tales of Suspense #39, 1963).

The rest of the movie obviously accelerates from there to mesh the original Marvel universe with the Ultimate Marvel universe, but it was a very very good representation of both the Tony Stark and Iron Man.

The appearance of Nick Fury after the credits was entirely expected, not only because Stark and S.H.E.I.L.D have been connected for years, but because the "Utimate" Nick Fury was actually created from Jackson's likeness and with his permission. Tony Stark should also show up in the next Hulk movie as well as part of the "Avengers Initiative" backstory, possibly to scout the Hulk as a potential member.

Good times right now for Marvel Studios and comic book films in general.

*BaseClogger*
05-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Who is Nick Fury?

GIK
05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Loved it. RD, Jr. was the perfect Tony Stark.

SteelSD
05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Who is Nick Fury?

He's the leader of S.H.E.I.L.D. Basically, in the "Ultimate" universe, he's the guy who pulls the Avengers' strings.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I just saw it. I'm a big fan of the Iron Man/Tony Stark character, so I had high expectations for it. I was slightly underwhelmed with the amount of action, but the scenes that were there were good. I still enjoyed it though. RDJ is perfect in the role.

To me, it felt a lot like a long set up for the rest franchise more than a stand alone piece, so I expect the sequel to be "epic"

RFS62
05-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Saw it yesterday. Liked it a lot.

pahster
05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Saw it yesterday. Liked it a lot.

Me too. Very entertaining.

Degenerate39
05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I loved it. Probably the best superhero movie yet. It's right up there with Batman Begins. But I think The Dark Knight will be much better than Iron Man.

GAC
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
So when they gonna do a Captain America or Thor? :lol:

Just heard yesterday that they have already started the Iron Man sequel.

I just hope the The Incredible Hulk is better then the first one.

I've always been a huge fan of The Fantastic Four; but was thoroughly disappointed in the two movies (especially the 2nd one).

HumnHilghtFreel
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
So when they gonna do a Captain America or Thor? :lol:

Actually, there are talks already that these are in the works. Summer 2010 for Ironman 2 and the Thor movie I think it was, with Cap coming sooner.

They also have a Luke Cage movie lined up with Tyrese playing the role.

So it is starting to look very likely that an Avengers movie is being thought of. What an ensemble cast that could end up being.

SteelSD
05-06-2008, 01:50 AM
So when they gonna do a Captain America or Thor?

imdb.com lists "Captain America" as being "in production". However, I've also heard rumors that, while the character is a solid property here, he won't play internationally (the whole "America" thing). IMHO, the only time I expect to see Cap is in an "Avengers" film if it's done (and it seems likely). Thor is just a difficult sell anywhere. Great character, but I'm not sure how one can work out the mythology to the viewers in just two hours or less.

Just heard yesterday that they have already started the Iron Man sequel.

That's a cash cow. Of course it's likely. ;)

I just hope the The Incredible Hulk is better then the first one.

Can't possibly be worse. From what I've seen, I think it'll mesh the TV origin (Banner experimenting on himself) with the "Ultimate" Marvel universe. Probably not all things to all people, but it seems like a good re-start to a franchise that got jobbed by an awful plot and generally bad CGI. Looks great on HD-DVD, but "looks great" is all I can really say about it. Ugh.

I've always been a huge fan of The Fantastic Four; but was thoroughly disappointed in the two movies (especially the 2nd one).

Actually, I've quite enjoyed that movie franchise. Don't get me wrong, Jessica Alba- as hot as she is- wasn't the right casting move for Sue Storm. But overall, the tone is right and I don't really see any issues with the plotlines so far. They've introduced the right villians and haven't done a lot to change them. The "Doctor Doom" we're seeing is right out of the "Ultimate" universe and the Silver Surfer and ending of the second movie pays homage to Lee and Kirby.

GAC
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
imdb.com lists "Captain America" as being "in production". However, I've also heard rumors that, while the character is a solid property here, he won't play internationally (the whole "America" thing).

I actually think it would make a good movie if it was circa WWII. Why does everything have to be updated to fit current times? It's worked for Indiana Jones.

Actually, I've quite enjoyed that movie franchise. Don't get me wrong, Jessica Alba- as hot as she is- wasn't the right casting move for Sue Storm.

I thought she was terrible.

But overall, the tone is right and I don't really see any issues with the plotlines so far.

I thought the second one was way to comical at times. I agreed with one reviewer that it was more like the Four Stooges bungling through the movie. I don't care for Ioan Gruffold as Mr Fantastic either. The Reed Richards I knew was not only older, more mature; but also a more self determined, confident leader of the group.

They've introduced the right villians and haven't done a lot to change them. The "Doctor Doom" we're seeing is right out of the "Ultimate" universe and the Silver Surfer and ending of the second movie pays homage to Lee and Kirby.

What is this "Ultimate" Marvel universe you're talking about? Remember - I'm an old fart, so that obviously came way after my time. I was an avid comic book fan growing up from the early 60's to early 70's. After that? I'm lost.

When I saw the first FF movie and they had Doom as a fellow astronaut, the first thing I said was that was not the Dr Doom I grew up on in the 60's. You never saw Victor's face because it was marred in a lab accident. He didn't have super powers, but uses his intellect and cunning to create powerful weapons and lethal traps (like a Lex Luthor).

But then.... the X-men I grew up with were quite different from what they are today too.

Degenerate39
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
What is this "Ultimate" Marvel universe you're talking about? Remember - I'm an old fart, so that obviously came way after my time. I was an avid comic book fan growing up from the early 60's to early 70's. After that? I'm lost.

The Ultimate Marvel Universe is pretty much a reboot of all the characters. They changed things around but pretty much the jist of the story is still the same.

SteelSD
05-07-2008, 01:26 AM
I actually think it would make a good movie if it was circa WWII. Why does everything have to be updated to fit current times? It's worked for Indiana Jones.

Well, the movie wouldn't be called "Captain Indiana". ;)

The Fantastic Four reportedly grossed 154M domestically, but also pulled in 175M internationally. That latter is a huge consideration for a film that reportedly cost 100M to produce. Without going to far on the political side of things, let's just say that Marvel may be less than optimistic about the international returns from a movie with a character of that name who's wearing a costume inspired by the American flag.

BTW, you should google "Ultimate Captain America". Should the film be produced, I'd suggest we'd see a costume very similar to what you'll see there. And I'd likely suggest that at least the first fifteen minutes of the film would take place during WW2.

I thought she was terrible.

Yeah. And the blonde hair didn't work at all.

I thought the second one was way to comical at times. I agreed with one reviewer that it was more like the Four Stooges bungling through the movie. I don't care for Ioan Gruffold as Mr Fantastic either. The Reed Richards I knew was not only older, more mature; but also a more self determined, confident leader of the group.

I actually didn't mind the comedy. That's been a pattern in the FF books for as long as I can remember and I really think they did a great job on the interactions between Johnny and Ben. IMHO, those castings were spot on. Perfectly done.

BTW, did you know that Ioan Gruffold was Lancelot in 2004's "King Arthur"? Seriously, ever time I look at that DVD cover, I'm like "Whaaaaaaaattt???" I actually didn't mind him either in the FF movies. I thought the issue there was more of the writers dumbing him down and playing up Sue; which they probably had to do to get someone as recognizable as Alba to want the role. And keep in mind that if one were to create a hybrid of the regular and "Ultimate" Reed Richards, that's the guy we would see.

Degen gave you a good synopsis. Marvel basically relaunched each of the main series (Spiderman, X-Men, FF, Avengers) with a no-holds barred, no-rules approach. Ultimate Spiderman played pretty close to the normal universe version. Big updates to the Green Goblin though. The FF starts out younger (much younger). The differences between the two versions of the X-Men were huge and the new vision of the Avengers was absolutely extreme (like "Avengers" rated "R").

Don't think that the "Ultimate" books aren't good reads though. I collect all the major titles and the trilogy of miniseries "Ultimate Nightmare", "Ultimate Secret", and "Ultimate Extinction" IMHO provided a great deal of the inspiration for the versions of the Silver Surfer and Galactus we saw in FF2.

When I saw the first FF movie and they had Doom as a fellow astronaut, the first thing I said was that was not the Dr Doom I grew up on in the 60's. You never saw Victor's face because it was marred in a lab accident. He didn't have super powers, but uses his intellect and cunning to create powerful weapons and lethal traps (like a Lex Luthor).

In the Ultimate universe, Doom was with the rest of the FF when they gained their powers. In that universe, the accident happened when Richards helped build a transporter using the Negative Zone. Prior to the group's jump Victor, in an act of hubris, changed the settings because he thought Richards' settings were wrong; thus causing the accident that gave them all powers. Doom's powers in the movies are a hybridization of his regular and Ultimate powers, including his turning into a metal form in the first FF movie.

But then.... the X-men I grew up with were quite different from what they are today too.

And they're quite different that the version I grew up with as well. But frankly, we were both spoiled. You got Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Then Jim Steranko, Roy Thomas and Neal Adams. I got Chris Claremont, John Byrne, and Dave Cockrum. Then later, I got Frank Miller's masterful take on Wolverine and Jim Lee's artwork prior to a transition to one of the worst comic book periods ever (the early 1990's).

There's the reason I've searched out autographed books from the late Kirby and Cockrum (and Miller, of course). My X-Men #1 Marvel Milestones edition signed by Kirby is one of my most prized possessions.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-07-2008, 01:32 AM
I actually just watched FF2 on HBO because of this thread. It was okay, I really just love seeing the comic book characters on screen. Would have been cool to see more Galactus than just a shadow.

Raisor
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Loved Iron Man. Loved it. Loved everything about it.

I wasn't going to bother with Hulk, but I will now, if only for RDjr's cameo.

Degenerate39
05-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Oh yeah I was going to ask you what you thought about Iron Man the next time I saw you in the chat.

Is it offical that Robert Downey is going to be in the Hulk? If he is then I'll be seeing The Hulk on opening day.

Raisor
05-07-2008, 06:18 PM
The sequel has been pretty much rumored to focus on Tony's alcoholism, probably with Happy Hogan(Pepper's love interest) entering the picture. I'd say Rhodey will become War Machine as well.

Happy was in this film, by the way.

Jon Favreau

He was so money.

Raisor
05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Oh yeah I was going to ask you what you thought about Iron Man the next time I saw you in the chat.

Is it offical that Robert Downey is going to be in the Hulk? If he is then I'll be seeing The Hulk on opening day.

Yeah, they supposedly showed his scene at the NY Comicon a couple weeks ago.

Puffy
05-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Marvel is setting up an Avengers movie. Thats why Downey is in there. Its why the Sam Jackson thing is in the credits. And its why Captain America and Thor movies have just been greenlighted.

Puffy
05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Also Antman is being done by Edgar Wright (he of Shaun of the Dead fame)

OldRightHander
05-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I just saw it today. It wasn't one of the comics I read much as a kid, so I can't really compare it to anything, but it was pretty good. Downey was perfect for the role.

MrCinatit
05-12-2008, 04:07 AM
I saw it yesterday and liked it a lot.

FutureRedsGM
05-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Is it safe for kids? What age group? Has anyone seen Speed Racer yet? I'm thikning of taking the little one (5 years old) to the movies tonight and he wants to see Iron Man and Speed Racer. I think both are rated PG, but that doesn't always mean they are good for young children.

pahster
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Is it safe for kids? What age group? Has anyone seen Speed Racer yet? I'm thikning of taking the little one (5 years old) to the movies tonight and he wants to see Iron Man and Speed Racer. I think both are rated PG, but that doesn't always mean they are good for young children.

Iron Man is PG-13. I imagine Speed Racer would be more appropriate for a five year old.

Unassisted
05-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I took my kids to see Iron Man yesterday. My youngest is 11. I saw plenty of kids there who were younger than 11. There was one quick bedroom scene that might make some parents uncomfortable, along with a smattering of profanity and a lot of cartoonish violence.

My kids thought the movie was just OK. The older one thought the dialogue in the third act was cheesy. That was my cue to discuss how action film dialogue is deliberately simplistic to make films translate well for international markets. :cool:

Degenerate39
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM

I saw a TV Spot for the Hulk when I was watching the Rangers game a while ago. Tony was talking to General Ross in what looked like a bar.