View Full Version : Rangers sign Jason Jennings

AmarilloRed
01-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Rangers get right-hander Jennings for 1 year, $4 million

By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: January 16, 2008, 10:01 PM ET

The Texas Rangers have reached agreement with free-agent pitcher Jason Jennings on a one-year contract worth a guaranteed $4 million, according to a baseball source.

Jennings passed a physical exam earlier this week and the team expects to announce the deal Thursday, the source said.

Jennings, 29, is 60-65 with a career 4.91 ERA in seven major league seasons with Colorado and Houston. He went 2-9 with a 6.45 ERA in 19 appearances with the Astros last year before going down with a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. He underwent surgery in late August to repair the injury.

Jennings has been throwing off a mound and long-tossing at a distance of 200 feet, and the Rangers expect him to be ready by Opening Day. He'll join Kevin Millwood, Vicente Padilla, Brandon McCarthy and Kason Gabbard in Texas' projected rotation.

Jennings is a Dallas native and played college ball at Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

Newman4
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Hmm, this might work out for Texas. Jennings is still fairly young, so it gives him a chance to re-establish himself.

BEETTLEBUG
01-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Lieber gone now Jennings gone the Reds list is dwendling. Thom Brenamen said on HSL tonight that Livan Hernandez would be a great pickup cause of innings eater. He said he would give up HR's but would eat innings.

BLEEDS
01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
$4M one year deal is a STEAL, and worth the risk.

Lieber obviously set the mark, and the flood gates have opened.

Let's hope the Reds aren't left standing on the banks.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I(heart)Freel
01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Let's hope the Reds aren't left standing on the banks.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Please don't say "banks." Sore topic around here.

AdamDunn
01-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I would have given more ($5-$6 million) for one year.

Bip Roberts
01-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I dont think money was that big of a factor in his case.

*BaseClogger*
01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I dont think money was that big of a factor in his case.

yup, same as Lieber. I don't think either have set the market because both gave home-town discounts...

TC81190
01-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Of all the dreck that's available, he probably had the best upside. Oh well.

Bip Roberts
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM

very true but it seems quite obvious he had no intentions of leaving texas.

*BaseClogger*
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM

I think Bartolo Colon's CY disagrees...

Bip Roberts
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Fatolo Colon

TC81190
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM

His arm is shot, though.

*BaseClogger*
01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
His arm is shot, though.

I agree, but technically he still has the highest upside...

Bip Roberts
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
I agree, but technically he still has the highest upside...

Theres gotta be a chance of an upside for it to actually count though :p:

Vada Pinson Fan
01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Geez, what a market. For a pitcher that had a 2-9 record last year, albeit injured, and a lifetime record below .500 to be given $4 million is amazing. Unbelievably amazing and yes this is what the market is paying.

The smilies aren't showing up for me right now (sometimes they appear and I can use them and sometimes not- anyone else have this happen?) or I'd definitely use the one shaking his head in disbelief.

gedred69
01-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Colon dropped off rather rapidly. Jennings was a flash. Livan? Hmmmm........Ok, you have my attention...

Bip Roberts
01-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Livan would need to be really cheap and a 1 year deal for me to be even interested in him taking one of our rotation spots

gedred69
01-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Livan would need to be really cheap and a 1 year deal for me to be even interested in him taking one of our rotation spots

One year? Totally agree. It's looking like he may come on the relative cheap, unless some organization gets stupid desperate and over-pays. (Hope it isn't the Reds). No more Stantons please.

BEETTLEBUG
01-18-2008, 04:51 AM
Who would be best Free Agent pitcher now? That would be in Reds picture.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
One year? Totally agree. It's looking like he may come on the relative cheap, unless some organization gets stupid desperate and over-pays. (Hope it isn't the Reds). No more Stantons please.

That's why I want to see the Reds go with any combination of Bailey, Belisle, Cueto, Volquez, Maloney to fill out the rotation. The Reds need to save any leftover free agent money for the FA pitchers available after the 2008 season. Go with the kids and not worry about making a Milton type mistake with the guys that are still out there. The Reds need to be a team beyond these type of signings(Jennings and the like).

gedred69
01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
That's why I want to see the Reds go with any combination of Bailey, Belisle, Cueto, Volquez, Maloney to fill out the rotation. The Reds need to save any leftover free agent money for the FA pitchers available after the 2008 season. Go with the kids and not worry about making a Milton type mistake with the guys that are still out there. The Reds need to be a team beyond these type of signings(Jennings and the like).

More or less agree. If Livan can be had short-term, for a few $$ and can pitch innings, he could be a stop-gap until the young pieces fall into place. I hope Cueto, Volquez, and Maloney all get ample chance this season to pitch up here, the experience will be invaluable, and hey, one or two may be ready. Bailey, well he's already part of the rotation IMO. The experience he got last year was fantastic preparation for him to show what he can do for real this year. Belisle is also already part of the rotation whether it's #3,4, or 5.

Bip Roberts
01-18-2008, 09:48 PM

I feel that if our young guys arent better than the free agent options then it doesnt matter anyways because we might as well restart the building process.