PDA

View Full Version : Josh Ravin

OnBaseMachine
01-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I was just reading a Baseball America scouting report on Josh Ravin. He was part of the "31st man" as in they wrote a scouting report on him but failed to put him in the prospect handbook. Anyway, to give a summary: They said he touched 99 mph this summer with his fastball and flashed an above-average curveball but his changeup remains inconsistent. What caught me off guard was the 99 mph fastball. I know he threw hard but not that hard! They note that he was frustrated by being placed in rookie ball last year and that he was prone to overthrowing his fastball which led to outrageous control problems.

Even with his struggles last year, with his size (6'4 195") and stuff he remains a very interesting prospect. He could flame out next year and be out of baseball or he could put it together and bust out in a big way. Either way, he'll be someone I'll keep a close eye on this season.

dougdirt
01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
I was just reading a Baseball America scouting report on Josh Ravin. He was part of the "31st man" as in they wrote a scouting report on him but failed to put him in the prospect handbook. Anyway, to give a summary: They said he touched 99 mph this summer with his fastball and flashed an above-average curveball but his changeup remains inconsistent. What caught me off guard was the 99 mph fastball. I know he threw hard but not that hard! They note that he was frustrated by being placed in rookie ball last year and that he was prone to overthrowing his fastball which led to outrageous control problems.

Even with his struggles last year, with his size (6'4 195") and stuff he remains a very interesting prospect. He could flame out next year and be out of baseball or he could put it together and bust out in a big way. Either way, he'll be someone I'll keep a close eye on this season.

Yeah, there were a few reports during the season that Ravin was throwing that hard.
I had gotten some reports from some people I know about it. I know Matt Klinker talked about Ravin throwing 98 over at Redlegnation.com (http://redlegnation.com/2007/08/21/pioneer-league/) during the season. Without getting into too much, hopefully Josh knows why he was put in Billings last year and gets off to the right start next year in Dayton (if thats where he starts out). He apparently was battling some injuries during the season but was healthy late in the season and pitched well.

lollipopcurve
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I know Matt Klinker talked about Ravin throwing 98 over at Redlegnation.com during the season. Without getting into too much, hopefully Josh knows why he was put in Billings last year and gets off to the right start next year in Dayton (if thats where he starts out).

Interesting what Klinker said -- "the kid has a million dollar arm" -- and what he didn't say -- "but a ten-cent head." Easy to read between the lines on Ravin -- if he grows up, the Reds may have something (and he may have himself a career). But I'm not optimistic -- he was really bad last year. One can hope minor injuries were a factor.

redsmetz
01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Interesting what Klinker said -- "the kid has a million dollar arm" -- and what he didn't say -- "but a ten-cent head." Easy to read between the lines on Ravin -- if he grows up, the Reds may have something (and he may have himself a career). But I'm not optimistic -- he was really bad last year. One can hope minor injuries were a factor.

My friend who pitched in the minors for the Reds back in the 50's said that teammate Dave Bristol wrote out the reports for the manager to send to the front office. He told Don that the manager (I can't remember who it was) wrote he had a Major League arm and a Minor League head.

He blew his arm out pitching for the Army in Germany during cold weather and that finished his professional career.

Superdude
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I really wish he'd pull it together. Lotzkar, Wood, and an under control Ravin would be a very nice combo in the post Bailey/Cueto era.

TOBTTReds
01-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I really wish he'd pull it together. Lotzkar, Wood, and an under control Ravin would be a very nice combo in the post Bailey/Cueto era.

It would be even better IN THE Bailey/Cueto era...hopefully they can make it in the next 3-5 years. If Ravin puts it together, he could be in the majors by next year. He would be Jaba'ish through the minors.

Superdude
01-19-2008, 10:35 PM
It would be even better IN THE Bailey/Cueto era...hopefully they can make it in the next 3-5 years.

I meant in the post Bailey/Cueto prospect era. When they all reach and dominate the majors, it'll be the Bailey/Cueto/Wood/Lotzkar/Ravin multiple world series era. :cool:

If Ravin puts it together, he could be in the majors by next year. He would be Jaba'ish through the minors.

That would be amazing. Just pitching well in Dayton would be good for me.

dougdirt
01-19-2008, 11:46 PM

Yeah, I don't think its in the cards for Ravin to see AA next year, regardless of how good he pitches. Its one thing for the Reds to take a hitter and put him at three levels (Bruce) in one year..... its completely another to have a pitcher do the same thing.

fearofpopvol1
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I don't think its in the cards for Ravin to see AA next year, regardless of how good he pitches. Its one thing for the Reds to take a hitter and put him at three levels (Bruce) in one year..... its completely another to have a pitcher do the same thing.

Didn't Bailey essentially go through 3 levels in 1 year?

TC81190
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM

2 levels. Sarasota and Chattanooga, if I'm not mistaken, in '06. He didn't see Louisville until last year.

dougdirt
01-20-2008, 12:36 AM

Nope.

2004 he pitched 10 innings in the GCL.
2005 he threw 100 or so in Dayton
2006 he threw 70 and 70 each at Sarasota and then Chattanooga
2007 he threw 68 and 45 in Louisville and Cincinnati

camisadelgolf
01-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Nope.

2004 he pitched 10 innings in the GCL.
2005 he threw 100 or so in Dayton
2006 he threw 70 and 70 each at Sarasota and then Chattanooga
2007 he threw 68 and 45 in Louisville and Cincinnati

. . . and many people considered this conservative.

fearofpopvol1
01-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Ah, for some reason I thought Bailey started '07 in AA. Guess not.

corkedbat
01-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd say if Ravin makes Dayton out of ST, then Sarasota the second half with a shot at Chattanooga in 09, it's probably the best case scenario for him. If he comes to ST with the same serious control issues though, he may be a candidate for extended ST and lucky to finish the year in Dayton. A full year at Dayton is probably most likely though.

TC81190
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Ah, for some reason I thought Bailey started '07 in AA. Guess not.

Nope. If I remember correctly, there was talk of him making the team out of ST last year, like there currently is for Cueto.

TOBTTReds
01-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Yeah it would be for me too. I wasn't saying he was going to fly through, but saying he's got the stuff to make it through quickly if puts it all together. Chance of that happening? 2 % I think a move to the pen may help his progress too.

11BarryLarkin11
02-11-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm glad to see so many people still on the Ravin bandwagon. Undeniably, he had a very rough 2007, as his control went AWOL, but I still really like him.

He's got great stuff and his mechanics are picture perfect. He maintains good tempo and balance throughout his delivery and throws a very easy mid-90s fastball.

Personally, I like him more than Kyle Lotzkar, but I'm very glad to have both in the system. If Ravin can find a consistent arm slot in 2008, then he could be poised to take a very large step forward.

I'm very excited to see what 2008 holds for Ravin.

Bip Roberts
02-11-2008, 02:27 AM
I wish I understood lower level minor league talent a lot more. So many fresh guys at those levels.

Red Daddy
02-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Ravin sounds like he's just stupid sometimes. He's mad because he went to rookie ball and then he got pounded there. No strikeouts, tons of walks, and a high era and whip. What a dope!!!

dougdirt
02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Ravin sounds like he's just stupid sometimes. He's mad because he went to rookie ball and then he got pounded there. No strikeouts, tons of walks, and a high era and whip. What a dope!!!

Don't think you know the whole story on Ravin.....

11BarryLarkin11
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM

Agreed.

For one thing, he struck out 39 hitters in 40 innings, which isn't too shabby. The control obviously vanished, but part of that may have to do with a bit of shoulder soreness he experienced in Billings. That may have resulted in him becoming hesitant and slightly altering his arm slot to compensate for the soreness.

Personally, I think his struggles have much more to do with the growing pains that young pitchers go through than anything else. I haven't heard any negatives about his attitude or him being disappointed at being sent to Billings.

Red Daddy
02-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Not entirely, I remember a quote from somebody that went something like, "he's got a major league arm with a peewee league brain??!!?!?"

dougdirt
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Not entirely, I remember a quote from somebody that went something like, "he's got a major league arm with a peewee league brain??!!?!?"

I wouldn't go that far. I will say that some things happened with Ravin that I doubt 99% of the people on this board know about last year.

Superdude
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I will say that some things happened with Ravin that I doubt 99% of the people on this board know about last year.

Holding back some inside info Doug? Let me guess...he lost his hearing at an air show, which in turn affected his balance, which is why he can't find the plate.

dougdirt
02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Holding back some inside info Doug? Let me guess...he lost his hearing at an air show, which in turn affected his balance, which is why he can't find the plate.

I am holding it back and I won't be letting it out. That said, no, it wasn't at an air show lol.

camisadelgolf
02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Doug is bluffing. Josh Ravin's 'problems' definitely stem from an air show incident.

11BarryLarkin11
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I am holding it back and I won't be letting it out. That said, no, it wasn't at an air show lol.

Is what happened something that will reveal his 2007 struggles to be an aberration of little long-term concern? Or, is what happened something that will hinder his future performance and impact his status as a legitimate prospect?

dougdirt
02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Is what happened something that will reveal his 2007 struggles to be an aberration of little long-term concern? Or, is what happened something that will hinder his future performance and impact his status as a legitimate prospect?

All in all, it can explain some of what happened in 2007, should be no concern going forward.

11BarryLarkin11
02-14-2008, 05:51 PM
All in all, it can explain some of what happened in 2007, should be no concern going forward.

Good to hear, thank you kindly.