PDA

View Full Version : Reds negotiations with Goodyear, Arizona

DannyB
01-18-2008, 05:29 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080118/SPT04/801180381/1062/SPT

The Reds came away impressed from a field trip to Goodyear, Ariz.

"It was great," said former chief operating officer John Allen, who is heading the search for a new spring home. "It was very informative. They have a good plan."

The city of Goodyear is looking for a team to share its new complex with the Cleveland Indians.

The teams would share the 8,500-seat stadium but have separate practice fields, clubhouses and offices.

The Reds group, including CEO Bob Castellini, also visited the Surprise, Ariz., facility shared by the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals.

"We wanted to see how a two-team operation works," Allen said. "Basically, you have a game at the stadium every day."

The Indians move into the Goodyear facility in 2009. A second team wouldn't move in until 2010 at the earliest.

The Reds have the option to remain in their current facility in Sarasota until 2011.

The Reds and Goodyear officials did not talk specifics of a deal. "We'll take a few days to digest it," Allen said.

Elsewhere, a plan to keep the Reds in Sarasota is in play. A $41 million plan to rebuild the Ed Smith Stadium complex will be presented to the Sarasota city and county commissions Tuesday. Then they'll vote whether to move forward.

Another wrinkle: The Fort Myers News-Press reported Thursday on its Web site that a Reds official contacted a Lee County official Thursday about relocating there. The News-Press reported the conversation was informal and no details were discussed. Lee County is looking to add a third team. It already hosts the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins.

The new Sarasota plan calls for the Reds to contribute $9 million to the project.

Would Goodyear require that kind of financial outlay?

"It's a different economic situation," Allen said. "We didn't get into specifics."

But is Goodyear a better situation economically?

"Yes," Allen said.

If the Sarasota plan moves forward, the Reds will have to weigh the economic benefit against moving their spring home farther from Cincinnati.

"I've gotten a lot of e-mails," Allen said. "It's been a mixed bag."

Something tells me Bob and John didnt pile the family into the SUV and drive out there.

OesterPoster
01-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd like to see some sort of concrete attendance numbers for games in Sarasota. How many Reds fans really travel to Florida for those games from outside of the Sarasota area?

I'm completely on the fence. I don't care one way or the other. I do get the feeling that the Reds are simply using Goodyear as leverage against Sarasota to get a deal done.

durl
01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I've travelled from Tennessee to Sarasota for Spring Training but chances are low that I'd travel to Arizona.

bounty37h
01-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I have driven from North Carolina 8 out of the last 12 years for spring training, usually staying @ a week down there, following the team around. I can guarantee I will never see a Reds ST game if they move to AZ (not that anyone cares), but I think the ecenomic saving for the Reds to move will be lost on attendance once they do.

reds2221
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Once I get to college I would love to see some st games during my spring breaks, but if they go to Arizona I would not travel that far just for st

Triples
01-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I have driven from North Carolina 8 out of the last 12 years for spring training, usually staying @ a week down there, following the team around. I can guarantee I will never see a Reds ST game if they move to AZ (not that anyone cares), but I think the ecenomic saving for the Reds to move will be lost on attendance once they do.

I'm not sure I agree. I used to do some business in the Phoenix area and I made a point to get down there during Spring Training. I got to see games with the way north teams like the White Sox, Cubs, Mariners and Milwaulkee, not to mention the nothern California teams that are 13-15 hours away. I don't recall ever going to a game that wasn't packed to the rafters...especially the Cubs. The Cactus League doesn't seem to have trouble finding people to buy tickets. Maybe, the Reds would lose a few Reds fans that won't go because they it now too far away, but they will likely pick up some Reds fans that live in the Western part of the country. Likewise, the facilities are so close in proximity to one another in AZ I think they get a lot of just pure baseball fans that go for a week to make the rounds. Its a bit harder to do that in Grapefruit League. In terms of $$$$ I suspect that the Reds would do equally well in AZ as they do now in Sarasota.

Oh and one other point...less chance for iffy weather and virtually no rain outs/delays in AZ.

bounty37h
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Guess I didnt give non-Reds/just b-ball fans much thought there, but I guess your prob right. As for the rain, I hear that a lot, but in all the years I have gone down to FL for ST, it has rained once when I was there-now granted it really, really rained that time, but only once. So, I guess my biggest objection left is simply personal and selfish.

Bip Roberts
01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Id probably be more willing to travel to arizona than the boring old trips to florida

JinAZ
01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I live in Arizona, but unfortunately will almost certainly be moving before the Reds could arrive.

But I will say that spring training in Arizona is nothing short of fabulous. I haven't been to Florida for ST, so I have no comparison. But most of the teams in AZ are in the Phoenix area, so if you wanted you could hit almost (aside from a team or two in Tucson) every game without driving more than an hour in any direction. The weather is spectacular--bright sunny days, whispy clouds, and it doesn't really start to get hot until the last week or so of March.

Plus, the facilities around here are absolutely top-notch. I've gone to several games in the Angels' and Giants' spring training facilities the past few years, as well as the facilities up in Peoria for the Arizona Fall League, and they're fantastic places to see ballgames. Intimate, nice lawn seating, good concessions, etc.

Again, I'm not saying that any of this is dramatically better from what the Reds experience might get in Florida. But it seems to me that the chance to share a facility with the Indians could be a heck of a draw. Maybe you wouldn't drive out here, but the way gas is going, that's not much cheaper than flying+car rental these days.
-j

Vada Pinson Fan
01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
The Sarasota County Commissioners appear doubtful to fund the ballpark upgrade because of two dissenting commissioners and for the issue to pass no more than one commissioner can vote 'No' on the project. Doubtful of passing even with the Reds pitching in $9 million of their own money, reportedly. Now things, financially speaking, are much brighter in Goodyear, Arizona with the Reds not required to contribute any money of their own. So guess where I'd be inclined to move to if I were Bob Castellini. The trend has Florida Spring Training teams leaving to set up shop in Arizona and Arizona has been pushing hard to accomplish this. Florida's attitude, statewide, seems to be they have enough going for it to draw tourism without funding MLB teams hopes of getting a better playing field, et al. So which state needs MLB more to help draw tourism? I would think Arizona and it shows. I think the Florida legislature, on all levels, knows this as well and future support of tax dollars being spent on spring training is drying up. Just look how difficult it has been for the Florida Marlins to get state funding in hopes of securing a new stadium.

2010 will see the Reds out of Sarasota and likely in Goodyear.

BEETTLEBUG
01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I Hope Not. Ba Humbug Arz.

*BaseClogger*
01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd like to see us move to Arizona. Nicer facilities...

gedred69
01-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I've been 7 of the last 8 years. The only reason I can afford to go that often is I have family in Ft. Myers (cheap accomodations). I catch the Reds there vs. Redsox and Twins, and a couple games in Sarasota, which is a little over an hour away. I don't have family in Az. So yeah, maybe I'm selfish, but I am also loyal, and I am there. Besides ST, I buy a partial season ticket even though it's over an hour's drive from home. There is so much more to do in Fla., Disney, Epcot, Busch, Universal, Everglades, Bay of Biscayne, Big Cypress, for those with family. The Keys for the party animals, and the Beaches (for those who like to ogle all the beauties there on Spring Break, while partying). I will not be happy if they end up in Az. It's not just Reds fans from Cincy area that go to ST in Fla. Many on this site are probably too young to remember, but the Reds had a lot of fans and a huge radio network in the Carolinas, Tenn., and even into Ga., before the Braves finally got good. A lot of those fans are still out there and show up in March. Kinda' like all the Browns fans in the Cincy area.

And, I've heard those beaches in Az. really suck:D

crazybob60
01-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I've travelled from Tennessee to Sarasota for Spring Training but chances are low that I'd travel to Arizona.

the same here, and i have plenty of family in florida but although i have one uncle in AZ i just cant picture the Reds ST there for some reason. i hope they make the 'right' decision, not only baseball wise but also for the fans which is a reason why they do play.

gedred69
01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
So far, I read 6 for staying somewhere in Fla., 5 Okay or for AZ., with a couple neutrals. I point out tradition is that the Reds ST on the Gulf Coast of Fla... Tampa, then ugh, ugh, gag, Plant City, and more recently, Sarasota. They should stay on the Gulf Coast. I have admitted in a previous post I am selfish, having family there, but I think there are a lot more "Home Fans" capable of making the Fla. trip than an Az. trip. Lee County is also interested in the Reds re-locating there, which would put them cozy-next to the Redsox and Twins, and put me in hog Heaven personally. I would love to hear from fans who attend ST--- often or occaisonally, ---as to what the difference would mean to their being there. Fla. or Az.?

Mr.MojoRisin
01-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Personally I'd rather see them stay on the east coast. I try to go see them in ST but don't always get too. If they move to Arizona I garuntee I never will.

AmarilloRed
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Reds move closer to Arizona
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds are one step closer to moving their spring training operation from Sarasota, Fla., to Goodyear, Ariz.

Goodyear officials will meet in a closed session on Monday and consider an agreement that would allow them to negotiate exclusively with the Reds over a 90-day period and bring the team West for spring training.

“Subject to council approving this, we will enter into the agreement,” Reds consultant John Allen said Friday evening.

The 90-day exclusivity period would begin within days.

Allen, the team’s former chief operating officer, is leading the search for a new spring training facility.

“There are three parts of the deal that have to be worked out,” he said. “We have to work out a lease, get the financing in place and make plans for the facility.”

The Reds currently spend spring training in Sarasota, Fla., but the complex there needs repairs.

On Tuesday, Sarasota city and county officials considered a $41.3 million plan that would refurbish Ed Smith Stadium.

Sarasota city commissioners agreed to contribute $6.8 million toward the plan, and the Reds would contribute $9 million. But the county is being asked to contribute $17.6 million, and on Wednesday commissioners decided to table the discussion for two weeks.

By then, it may be too late. If, as expected, the Reds enter into negotiations with Goodyear officials, they cannot talk to any other cities, and Goodyear can’t contact any other teams.

That’s crucial to the Reds, who are worried other clubs in Arizona and Florida want to relocate to Goodyear.

Goodyear is 20 miles west of Phoenix, and will be the spring training home for the Cleveland Indians starting in 2009. City officials want a second team to share the complex, which includes a new 8,500-seat stadium.

If the Reds relocate to Goodyear, they will have separate practice fields, clubhouses and offices.

A second team will not move into Goodyear until 2010, at the earliest. The Reds can renew their lease for Ed Smith Stadium one year at a time through 2011.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080125/SPT04/301250100/

*BaseClogger*
01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

gedred69
01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Those of you from the Western Time Zones would love this. If it happens, your ass better be in the seats, 'cause mine won't! I've been to Fla. ST 8 of the last 9 years. (Can't afford the Az. trip).

AmarilloRed
01-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Sarasota had their chance, and they blew it.:thumbdown

Nasty_Boy
01-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Sarasota really came up short on this one. The Reds have bent over backwards in the attempt to stay in Florida. I'm sure Reds fans will some how blame ownership, but the blame should rest on the shoulders of the Sarasota commissioners and voters.

gedred69
01-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I ran in to some of those Sarasota voters back before the 1st vote in Nov. at Atl. Airport. A couple of elitist pigs, (she had to tip 300 lbs.) and I knew then, the community was rife with persons who had no concept of the impact economically. They would rather Sarasota remain "smallish", and in the control of the elitists. The masses be damned!! Hopefully, the Reds will string this out, and some other Fla. community will step up. I know that Cape Coral would love to find a way to bring in a MLB team ST. That would be so cool, as the Twins and Bosox are already in Ft. Myers, with Tampa Bay being in near-by Port Charlotte in a year or so. That would be so wonderful for me as I have free accomodations in Ft. Myers with my big brother:D:D:D

Carin4Narron
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Trouble in the making???

I have not heard of this for a fact. Thereís a big concern about how Goodyear would finance a second team without the help of the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority. I would worry more about that possibility, than what year. I should find out more today at a 4 p.m. meeting the city is holding.

Thank you for your interest,

Sara Bisker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:05 AM
To: sbisker@westvalleyview.com
Subject: Cincinnati Reds

Ms.Bisker,

I read a couple of reports by reporters who cover the Reds, even if the Reds move their spring training to Goodyear from Sarasota, it won't be until 2010 or 20211. Have you heard of this fact?

Thanks

gedred69
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I still think the Reds are wanting to wait out Sarasota, or some other Fla. city, (Cape Coral, Winter Haven). There is time to bide, Reds can sit in Sarasota 3 more years if need be. BC has got to know they would lose a lot of fans attending ST, on an Az. move. Economics are tough everywhere right now.

Carin4Narron
01-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone know what went down? The council meeting was a hour ago.

*BaseClogger*
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I still think the Reds are wanting to wait out Sarasota, or some other Fla. city, (Cape Coral, Winter Haven). There is time to bide, Reds can sit in Sarasota 3 more years if need be. BC has got to know they would lose a lot of fans attending ST, on an Az. move. Economics are tough everywhere right now.

Once again, the Reds would not lose attendance if they moved to AZ, there just would be a lot of people that usually go to ST in Florida that would no longer be able to go...

redsfan34
01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I would really have to agree with Mr Mojorisin I would rather see them stay on the east coast. Because ohio and florida have like the most family together in state or w/e and some of us fly down to come watch some baseball with the family. But if they were to take it to arizona, it would basicaly suck and no more trips to sarasota for some family baseball games memorys will be lost.

AmarilloRed
01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone know what went down? The council meeting was a hour ago.

Reds enter negotiating agreement with Goodyear, Ariz.
Sides have 75 days to agree to terms on Spring Training deal

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds and the city of Goodyear, Ariz., have entered into a 75-day, exclusive agreement to negotiate a lease on a facility that would serve as the club's future Spring Training site.

Under the agreement, the sides cannot negotiate with outside parties until the middle of April. The exact date will be announced when the documents are executed.

"The proposed facilities in Goodyear will be the best in baseball," said John Allen, the Reds' former chief operating officer who is leading the search for a new Spring Training site. "Ultimately, our job is to find a facility that will best benefit our team in terms of getting it prepared to play baseball in April."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080128&content_id=2358439&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

jnwohio
01-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Reds enter negotiating agreement with Goodyear, Ariz.
Sides have 75 days to agree to terms on Spring Training deal.......

Well I guess they gave Sarasota plenty of chances to use the can or get off. It will be interesting to see what Sarasota or any other place in Florida may try now as a last ditch effort. While the Reds won't be able to talk to them, there is nothing to stop any Florida intrerests from very publicly putting some kind of deal on the table which could influence the Reds in their negociations.

I guess we all know somebody or the other who likes to talk about a group of guys jumping in a car and busting straight thru for a long weekend at spring training and how that will be lost if they move to Arizona. However I suspect such jaunts don't really happen with all that many folks on any kind of regular basis.

On the other hand I do have some empathy for the snowbirds who may have picked the site of their retirement winter home based the proximity to the Reds spring training. I know my folks chose a park relatively close to Plant City only to have the Reds move to Sarasota a couple of years later. They were fortunate to have another 5 or 6 years of good health to enjoy their winters in Florida but generally only managed a couple of trips of 2 or 3 days duration to Sarasota each spring as opposed to being season ticket holders in Plant City. Did it ruin their retirement experience? Of course not; but I think it did diminish what they anticipated would be a central part of it going in (They had actually located an hour or so north east of Plant City because they realized it had nothing to offer except for the Reds. Unfortunately for them when the Reds left they moved an hour plus in the opposite direction) .

Jefferson24
01-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Reds, Goodyear enter agreement
Deal the next step toward moving Spring Training facilities
By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com

Former Reds COO John Allen is leading the search for the team's new spring home. (Tony Tribble/AP)

After holding a special meeting on Monday, the Goodyear (Ariz.) City Council agreed to enter into a 75-day exclusivity agreement with the Reds, an agreement that looks to be the next big step forward in Cincinnati's search for a new Spring Training home.
Goodyear, a Phoenix suburb, has been trying to attract another team to its $75 million facility, which is currently being constructed. And with the Reds' current search for a new Spring Training facility in the works, there is mutual interest from both sides to make Goodyear the team's future spring home.

Because this 75-day agreement won't officially go into effect until it is signed by both parties, the exact dates of when that period would end have not yet been determined. It would, however, fall sometime in mid-April.

Under this agreement, the Reds must stop negotiations with any other Spring Training facility. Likewise, during that time, Goodyear cannot consult with any other teams that may potentially be interested in the facility as well.

However, John Allen, who is heading the Reds' search for the new Spring Training site, cautioned fans from making the assumption that the negotiating agreement means an official move is imminent.

"There is still financing to be done and the terms of the lease to be worked out," Allen said. "But the people and the city of Goodyear gave us the feeling they wanted us out there. They sold us on the baseball facilities and the village area around it. We were very impressed with their long-term planning and the parts of the master plan they already have laid out."

If an agreement is reached, the Reds would be joining the Indians in Goodyear. The facility would provide separate clubhouses and practice fields for both teams, though both would share the same main field for Spring Training games.

Speaking on behalf of the organization, Allen put to rest any concerns about having to share a facility with another team.

"We visited the Royals and Rangers at their shared complex in Surprise, and they've had no issues," said Allen, the Reds' former chief operating officer. "The leases will be very clear as to what each team will have. The Indians are very excited about it, as we are."

Though Cleveland is set to begin holding its Spring Training in Goodyear next year, the earliest Cincinnati would be able to move its spring camp out west would be in 2010.

The Reds, who are set to begin their 11th straight Spring Training in Sarasota, Fla., can, in the meantime, extend any or all of their three one-year options that they have on their current lease in Sarasota. Doing so would give the Reds the ability to stay in Florida through Spring Training of 2011.

The search for a new Spring Training facility has been ongoing since Sarasota voters declined to approve a $16 million referendum back in early November. The referendum needed to pass in order to finance the final $16 million of the proposed $54 million in necessary stadium renovations and facility additions.

In addition, as recently as last week, the Sarasota County Commission put off a vote that could potentially have given $17.6 million from the state and city government to assist in remodeling Ed Smith Stadium.

Though an agreement with Sarasota is not entirely out of the question, it appears that unless something changes substantially in the near future, economics will push the Reds out of their current Spring Training home.

"The proposed facilities in Goodyear will be the best in baseball," Allen said. "Ultimately, our job is to find a facility that will best benefit our team in terms of getting it prepared to play baseball in April."

durl
01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
As much as I'd like the Reds to stay in Florida, I can't see voters approving any tax hike that might be proposed to keep them there. A friend of mine who lives near Sarasota told me their (already astronomical) property taxes are going up yet again.

Call me old-fashioned but I believe teams should pay for their own parks, anyway. Or at least a majority.

Carin4Narron
01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Is Allen playing games using Goodyear against Sarasota or another Fla city. This qoute was in the Goodyear paper today; The Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority has already agreed to finance part of the ballpark for the Cleveland Indians but has said no money is left for future projects.

Carin4Narron
01-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Yet another interesting email below, I think Allen's playing games to stay in Fla!

Absolutely! The STA says itís dried up for the next few decades. Goodyear approved a 75 day exclusivity agreement with the Reds last night, with a clause saying a financial plan needs to be to the Reds in 45 days. Iíll have more on this in Fridayís paper (possibly sooner for the Web site www.westvalleyview.com). Stay tuned!

Sara

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:09 AM
To: Sara Bisker
Subject: Re: Cincinnati Reds

Ms.Bisker,

Could not getting help from the Arizona sports and tourism authority be a problem funding the Reds to come to Goodyear?

Thanks

namichael
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I was present at the Reds on Radio affiliate lunch last Wednesday. Inevitably someone asked Castellini about the Sarasota vs. Goodyear deal. He replied with very positive comments about the possibility of going to Arizona. The city is hoping to try to grow the community around the idea of them being a solid spring training destination. The tone of his voice and his demeanor leads me to believe that he is leaning heavily towards the switch to Goodyear.

It was quite funny when he mentioned the sharing of the facility with the Indians. Brandon Phillips was sitting right beside him and smiled and dropped his head into his hands.

Carin4Narron
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Here is another quote from a new email I got from a Arizona Republic newspaper reporter,,

The Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority told me this week it has zero money for Goodyear for a second team;
Goodyear has said, though, that the city doesn't think that's the final word on the matter, and the city is going to keep asking. The city's also going to ask the Legislature for some money, but the state's facing a $1 billion deficit.

bounty37h
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see some sort of concrete attendance numbers for games in Sarasota. How many Reds fans really travel to Florida for those games from outside of the Sarasota area?

I'm completely on the fence. I don't care one way or the other. I do get the feeling that the Reds are simply using Goodyear as leverage against Sarasota to get a deal done.

well, know I am only a small part of the numbers, but for my part, I drive from NC nearly every year to watch at least a 4 day stretch of ST games. Last time I went, I took 3 buddies with me. SO, thats 4 missing in AZ :) I wil be going down there this year-just called my buddy in St Pete, adn he said we can stay with him.

Carin4Narron
01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Check this interesting quote from the Phoenix Business Journal

If Goodyear cannot show within 45 days that it can raise funding commitments, the Reds can call off the deal.

BEETTLEBUG
01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Good I hope it happens.

Carin4Narron
01-31-2008, 04:07 PM
This whole spring trainining complex issue is just symptomic to a bigger issue the Reds aren't run very well.

*BaseClogger*
01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
This whole spring trainining complex issue is just symptomic to a bigger issue the Reds aren't run very well.

lets be careful where we take this- some of us agree that moving to a place with better weather, facilities, and teams that are closer together is a good idea. As someone else put it, Disney World isn't going anywhere...

bounty37h
01-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Carin, how ya get that from this, its the city of Sarasota that is holding it up, the Reds are looking to make what they deem a better $ move if Sarasota isnt in. I think this new ownership is much, much better then previous regimes.

Carin4Narron
01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
It might not be all of Sarasota's fault. Teams like to hold cities at gun point to get a stadium like Bright House Field or a Legends Field. Allen said this week, the point of spring training is to get your team ready for the season. Isn't a place like Ed Smith enough for that? Teams don't need a place with all the bells and whistles just because another team has it. That's my point.

Bip Roberts
01-31-2008, 04:35 PM
It might not be all of Sarasota's fault. Teams like to hold cities at gun point to get a stadium like Bright House Field or a Legends Field. Allen said this week, the point of spring training is to get your team ready for the season. Isn't a place like Ed Smith enough for that? Teams don't need a place with all the bells and whistles just because another team has it. That's my point.

I want the reds to have the best facilities in baseball. No reason to put yourself behind the 8 ball more than you have to.

Carin4Narron
02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
The Chief of Staff of the Goodwill Council resigned. If they have trouble keeping people, how they get the Reds there?

http://www.westvalleyview.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=29847

And here is a email I just received from the head of the Arizona and Sports Authority. The city hasn't even approached them yet about helping out to get the Reds there.

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:41 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Goodyear Spring Training

Mr:

The Authority has not been asked to provide any assistance with this possible event. The City of Goodyear knows that the Authority has no available funds for another team to relocate to AZ at this time and no forecast that there will be funds in the future under the current funding scenario.

Charles M. Foley

CFO & Treasurer

Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority

1 Cardinals Drive

Glendale AZ 85305

623.433.7506, phone

623.433.7510, fax

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:56 PM
To: info
Subject: Goodyear Spring Training

Dear Sirs,

Will there be help from your organization to bring a second team, the Cincinnati Reds to Goodyear for spring training in the next couple of years?

Thanks,

gedred69
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Ha!! It's all a front to force Sarasota to a decision that they are better with the Reds than without. The Reds have enough time in 1 year options to stretch out Sarasota or some other Fla. town. There is an issue on the Fla. ballot to drastically reduce Property tax, that could well mean somebody can find a way to impose some local tax, to deliver money to the development of a ST facility for an MLB team. I know from family in Fla. that Bonita Springs and Cape Coral both would like to find a way to attract a MLB team. Cape Coral has the land to build a training complex and any team there could share either "City of the Palms" stadium in Ft. Myers with the Bosox, or Lee County/Ed Hammond with the Twins. That would be heaven for me. I got family in Lee County. Talk about cheap hotel rates.:D:D I go to ST religiously. Wouldn't be so in Az. Got no family there..............

Carin4Narron
02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Ha!! It's all a front to force Sarasota to a decision that they are better with the Reds than without. The Reds have enough time in 1 year options to stretch out Sarasota or some other Fla. town. There is an issue on the Fla. ballot to drastically reduce Property tax, that could well mean somebody can find a way to impose some local tax, to deliver money to the development of a ST facility for an MLB team. I know from family in Fla. that Bonita Springs and Cape Coral both would like to find a way to attract a MLB team. Cape Coral has the land to build a training complex and any team there could share either "City of the Palms" stadium in Ft. Myers with the Bosox, or Lee County/Ed Hammond with the Twins. That would be heaven for me. I got family in Lee County. Talk about cheap hotel rates.:D:D I go to ST religiously. Wouldn't be so in Az. Got no family there.............. Bingo.my friend!

Carin4Narron
03-06-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080306/NEWS/803060776/1006/sports

BEETTLEBUG
03-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Can someone tell me up date I can't get Herald Tribune to work at my job I don't have total acess to internet.

Hubba
03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
waiting in wings for Reds
Time is running short on baseball team's deal with Arizona city

By Roger Drouin (roger.drouin@heraldtribune.com)
Published Thursday, March 6, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

SARASOTA ó Bad news next week for Goodyear, Ariz., would be great news in Sarasota for those who are trying to keep the Cincinnati Reds here.
The fast-growing Phoenix suburb of 56,000 people entered an agreement to negotiate exclusively with the Reds in January, meaning the team had to break off talks with Sarasota.
But if Goodyear cannot find funding for the $32 million it would cost to build a clubhouse and practice fields for the Reds by March 13, there is a clause in the agreement that would allow the Reds to withdraw from the deal before it expires April 11.
If the clock runs out on Goodyear and the city cannot identify funding sources, that reopens the door to negotiations between the Reds and Sarasota.
"We aren't giving up," Sarasota Mayor Lou Ann Palmer said. "That's for sure."
Right now Goodyear's stadium, which is under construction, is only set up for one baseball team, the Cleveland Indians, when it opens for spring training play in 2009.
The $32 million cost includes purchasing an additional 48 acres and building a clubhouse, practice fields and other training facilities for the Reds.
Goodyear council members are scheduled to meet in a closed-door session this afternoon to talk about the deal with the Reds.
Goodyear and the Reds signed the exclusivity agreement on Jan. 28. As part of the agreement, the city had to find funding sources within 45 days.
"We have to figure out where it will come from," said Nora Fascenelli, public information officer with Goodyear.
"We don't have to have a signed check."
The most likely funding source would be a city bond, because funding for stadiums from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, a state agency that provides money for sports facilities, is frozen.
Reds executive John Allen flew to Goodyear on Wednesday, his second trip there in two weeks.
He could not be reached for comment.
Last modified: Thursday, March 6, 2008 at 3:23 a.m.

BEETTLEBUG
03-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you for update.

UGADaddy
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I know the Ed Smith facilities are a dump, but there's no way I'd be able to make it out to AZ for a weekend every spring. Isn't there another city in FL that would be willing to build a new facility??

Carin4Narron
03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Ed Smith Stadium is not a dump! Just needs a few improvements to be ok for the Reds to use.

UGADaddy
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Maybe not a dump, but certainly not up to par with the facilities of nearby Lakeland (Detroit Tigers), Tampa (New York Yankees), Clearwater (Philadelphia Phillies), Bradenton (Pittsburgh Pirates), and St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay Devil Rays).

gedred69
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I know the Ed Smith facilities are a dump, but there's no way I'd be able to make it out to AZ for a weekend every spring. Isn't there another city in FL that would be willing to build a new facility??

Ed Smith isn't a "Dump". there are many other that are no better, like City of the Palms where the Bosox are. The problems that the Reds wanted addressed were up-grades to the smallish clubhouse, and the practice fields, which do not drain well. The actual stadium needs upgrades to meet Handicapped access. In fact, the Reds down-scaled the original proposal at the expense of a lot of the stadium up-grades, which involved many $$$ for private boxes. (That the locals wanted more than the Reds did). As far as other Fla. cities, Winter Haven which loses the Tribe IS a dump that needs mega up-grades, has talked to the Reds, but they got no $$$. The only others I know of for sure are 2 cities in Lee County, where the Bosox and Twins are. Bonita Springs but they have since said, we have no $$. The other is Cape Coral who still has modest interest. But, there is on the ballot in November, in Fla., a proposal to drastically roll-back property taxes state-wide, having just about every political side's backing. If that passes, there may well be these and other communities willing to pass some kind of funding to bring in an MLB team.

Carin4Narron
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080307/NEWS/803070382/1006/sports

Carin4Narron
03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I attended the meeting last night. A small presentation was given by Interim City Manager Brian Dalke and John Allen representing the Reds spoke. The Council did go into executive session for about an hour, but did not speak or give direction to staff when they reconvened.

I have heard that there is a divide among the council, as far as supporting the funding of a second team goes. Technically, they have until March 13 to present a funding plan. Weíll see what happens. I will be writing my story about yesterdays meeting. Look for it on our Web site or in Tuesdays paper.

Thanks!

Ms.

Yesterday, the Goodyear City Council met in a closed meeting to discuss funding to bring the Reds to town. Do you know what happened in the meeting? If not, what's the feeling about the subject?

If Goodyear fails to get the funding, Sarasota Florida has a deal in place to keep the Reds there.

Carin4Narron
03-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Here is a section of a story from the Goodyear paper today,

Short on options
Adding a second team is estimated to cost $33 million, Interim City Manager Brian Dalke said. If funding is secured, the Reds would not train in Goodyear until 2010.

An exclusivity agreement was signed Jan. 28 by Goodyear and the Reds. It prevents both parties from seeking other teams/training facilities for 75 days. A finance package is to be in place by March 13 and the exclusivity agreement ends April 11, Dalke said.

Finding ways to fund the facility is proving challenging, he said. The Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority and a voter-passed bond helped Goodyear pay for the Indians' $75 million facility.

Going back to the AZSTA has been considered, Dalke said. He and Mayor Jim Cavanaugh have been meeting with AZSTA members to discuss finance options.

A Feb. 21 letter sent to Cavanaugh by AZSTA Chairwoman Debbie Johnson expresses support for adding to the Cactus League but recognizes that the authority will not be able to give any money to Goodyear.

"In short, there has been nothing in the performance of our revenues that would support becoming more optimistic on our prospects for future revenues from our [Maricopa County Stadium District Intergovernmental Agreement]. And, the revenues from our tourism taxes that are earmarked for Cactus League promotion are fixed by statute," Johnson wrote.

"We wish you well with your efforts to identify funding that would allow the Reds to relocate to Arizona, but we are unable to offer any further funding beyond those monies previously committed to you in support of the current project scope and budget for Goodyear," she wrote.

Goodyear remains optimistic, Dalke said.

"We have not given up and we will continue to ask," he said.

AmarilloRed
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
It now looks as if Goodyear has promised the Reds they have the funding:

Pack your Tilley hats and your sand screens, sports fans — it looks as if the Cincinnati Reds are headed to Goodyear, Ariz., for sure in 2010.

All this spring, Sarasota folks smugly thought their late bid to keep the Reds would work and grasped the idea that Goodyear was out of money and couldn’t find the $32 million needed to lure the Reds to the Arizona desert.

They were wrong.

Goodyear officials have until Thursday to guarantee to the Reds that they have the money and Sarasota people were confident in what they heard — that the Arizona Tourist & Sports Authority was tapped out, no more cash after they bankrolled the new University of Phoenix Stadium for the NFL’s Arizona Cardinals and $75 million for the re-location of the Cleveland Indians in Goodyear for spring training.

But Goodyear this week assured the Reds that they can come up with the necessary $32 million and Cincinnati’s negotiator, John Allen, said if Goodyear has the money, “Build it and we will come. If they come up with the funding, we are going to Goodyear.”

Just recently, the Sarasota county commissioners approved $17.5 million to contribute to the refurbishing of Ed Smith Stadium, but it’s too late. Now it looks as if they’ll have to turn to the Baltimore Orioles to fill Cincinnati’s spot in Sarasota.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2008/03/07/goodyear_and_attilia_the_hun.html

Strider
03-09-2008, 03:18 AM
I for one, am looking forward to traveling to Goodyear, AZ. I know that no one likes change...unless you're talking about a baby with a wet diaper and even they go through it kicking and screaming.

I thought I'd do a little figuring. I'm sure there are a lot of holes in this...but just for starters...

It's about 975 miles from Cincinnati to Sarasota...to make it easier to calculate...let's round it off to 1000. That's obviously 2000 miles round trip not counting any local trips. At $ 3.25per Gallon that's about $260 in gas alone for the round trip. That's not including a mechanics check, an oil change or anything you might do before or after such a trip.

The IRS says the real cost of ownership/driving is 50.5 cents/mile. For 2000 miles that would make the real cost of driving to Sarasota about $1000 (rounding down this time from 1010). This cost amount includes maintenance and depreciation of the vehicle.

I checked the airfare cost for Southwest to Phoenix going March 15th returning March 23rd...just random dates. From Louisville, KY to Phoenix is $260 round trip. From Columbus to Phoenix is $200 roundtrip. Business class was $359.

I know there are other costs if you rent a car. Housing costs would be roughly the same...assuming for a second that you have to rent a room somewhere. (Obviously if you have relatives in Phoenix or Sarasota, that tips the scales...but all things being equal...

I guess what I'm saying is...I'd rather fly to Phoenix and enjoy my week of Reds baseball rather than drive to Florida losing two full days driving. The actual cost appears to be less if you travel alone and about the same if you travel with one or two others.

I know that they will have to pry our fingers off the steering wheel...but this does not appear to be an insurmountable obstacle.

See you in Goodyear.

Carin4Narron
03-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Contact the head of the Arizona Sports and Tourism Autority

Charles Foley -cfoley@az-sta.com or

Sara Bisker the Goodyear city beat writer of the West Valley View, the local area paper there.-sbisker@westvalleyview.com

and ask them how easy it is for Goodyear to get funding to get the Reds there.

It ain't that easy for the city to do!

AmarilloRed
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Contact the head of the Arizona Sports and Tourism Autority

Charles Foley -cfoley@az-sta.com or

Sara Bisker the Goodyear city beat writer of the West Valley View, the local area paper there.-sbisker@westvalleyview.com

and ask them how easy it is for Goodyear to get funding to get the Reds there.

It ain't that easy for the city to do!

Then why would Goodyear officials tell the Reds organization that they have the money? I know you are a Sarasota supporter, but it really looks as if the Reds are moving to Goodyear in 2010.

gedred69
03-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I for one, am looking forward to traveling to Goodyear, AZ. I know that no one likes change...unless you're talking about a baby with a wet diaper and even they go through it kicking and screaming.

I thought I'd do a little figuring. I'm sure there are a lot of holes in this...but just for starters...

It's about 975 miles from Cincinnati to Sarasota...to make it easier to calculate...let's round it off to 1000. That's obviously 2000 miles round trip not counting any local trips. At $ 3.25per Gallon that's about $260 in gas alone for the round trip. That's not including a mechanics check, an oil change or anything you might do before or after such a trip.

The IRS says the real cost of ownership/driving is 50.5 cents/mile. For 2000 miles that would make the real cost of driving to Sarasota about $1000 (rounding down this time from 1010). This cost amount includes maintenance and depreciation of the vehicle.

I checked the airfare cost for Southwest to Phoenix going March 15th returning March 23rd...just random dates. From Louisville, KY to Phoenix is $260 round trip. From Columbus to Phoenix is $200 roundtrip. Business class was $359.

I know there are other costs if you rent a car. Housing costs would be roughly the same...assuming for a second that you have to rent a room somewhere. (Obviously if you have relatives in Phoenix or Sarasota, that tips the scales...but all things being equal...

I guess what I'm saying is...I'd rather fly to Phoenix and enjoy my week of Reds baseball rather than drive to Florida losing two full days driving. The actual cost appears to be less if you travel alone and about the same if you travel with one or two others.

I know that they will have to pry our fingers off the steering wheel...but this does not appear to be an insurmountable obstacle.

See you in Goodyear.
This has got to be written by somebody who wants the Reds in Az. for whatever reason. Well, from someone who doesn't, I don't drive ANYWHERE, that takes more than 5 hrs. (That's just me). I'm on a plane, period. How many people from Cincinnati do you think will make the trip to Az.? The beaches in Fla. are nicer than those in Az. If someone is taking their family their is soooo much more to do in Fla. What else does one do in Az.? Dodge rattlesnakes and Gila Monsters? The Reds have ALWAYS been in Fla. for the Spring. They would share a stadium with those of-late pretenders to the crown, Indians! There was a movie that made fun of how bad Indian attendance was, until they finally put good teams on the field in the '90's. The original team of all of professional Baseball should not play the step-child to interloping Cleveland crap in Goodyear!

Strider
03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Gedred, No agenda here.

Those that want spring training in Florida want it in Florida period. I understand that.

My analysis was looking at the argument in the Old Red Guard section that the costs were so much greater going to Arizona rather than Florida. I can't post there...so I posted here.

Nothing in my analysis took into account the difference in Florida and Arizona as a family vacation destination...just the difference in cost.

I quoted the costs to drive because that's what the posters on Old Red Guard were saying...that they drive to Florida and wouldn't be able to drive to Arizona...so I decided to see what the difference in cost was from driving to Florida to flying to Arizona.

A lot of times we make those arguments without looking at the real costs but they are thrown out there to justify the argument. I was curious as to how big the difference would be. Turns out...not much. If Southwest airfares go up significantly and/or gas prices go down, the advantage financially swings to Florida.

As far as more to do for families in Florida...I agree. It's more of a family destination and frankly, I'd rather go to Florida to visit the Reds than Arizona. But, if the Reds go to Arizona, and if I want to go, the cost will not be significantly different. Given I've only been to Arizona a couple times, it gives me a reason to travel to that part of our country.

:)

Strider
03-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Reds fans might want to go easy on the beer...

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080311/NEWS/803110454

:)

AmarilloRed
03-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Reds move closer to Arizona

The Cincinnati Reds announced today that the city of Goodyear, Ariz., has identified funding that would build the necessary facilities to bring the team west for spring training.

The facilities are estimated to cost $33 million. Goodyear officials did not say where the money was coming from.

"In keeping with the terms of our agreement with the Reds, that information will remain confidential while we move forward with negotiations,” said Interim City Manager Brian Dalke.

The announcement makes it very likely the Reds will move to Goodyear for spring training, starting in 2010.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080312/SPT04/303120093/

This would seem to put the nail in Sarasota's coffin, as far as the Reds are concerned.

Carin4Narron
03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
I am sorry that I was so firm with my earlier comments. Usually when Allen's lips move, he is lying.
I wanted to catch him in the act to make him look bad. But in this case, I was wrong. Granted the restroom stituation in Sarasota didn't help Sarasota's case as far as the the Reds are concern. I still think the team is better off in Florida, easier for fans to get to, etc. And the Reds DO NOT need a 10 thousand seat stadium to get prepare for the season.

bounty37h
03-13-2008, 11:44 AM

See you in Goodyear.

So Strider, how many miles is it from Cincy to AZ then? Whats the real cost of that drive? Whats a flight to FL cost? Where are the comparisons? Not trying to pick on you, but you show one side, but arent showing any comparison to make any kind of arguement, other then its quicker and cheaper to fly to AZ then drive to FL. And no, you won't see me in AZ if they go, but if they stay in Fl, drop by to say hi!!

AmarilloRed
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
So Strider, how many miles is it from Cincy to AZ then? Whats the real cost of that drive? Whats a flight to FL cost? Where are the comparisons? Not trying to pick on you, but you show one side, but arent showing any comparison to make any kind of arguement, other then its quicker and cheaper to fly to AZ then drive to FL. And no, you won't see me in AZ if they go, but if they stay in Fl, drop by to say hi!!

I can answer some of these questions. It is 1868 miles from Cincinnati to Goodyear, and it is a 27 hour 4 minute(at minimum) drive by car. Not sure of how long by plane. I checked on MapQuest, and that was the shortest route.

Va Red Fan
03-13-2008, 05:43 PM
If it is the best business option for the Reds who are we to question it? We can't influence them, just root for them. They have been "my" team for over 32 years, but nobody has ever called me up and asked my opinion. I have no right to have input.

Va Red Fan
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
If they did ask for my input, then I would know they were pretty much idiots and I would not want to root for them anyway.