PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield movie?

LoganBuck
01-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Has anyone seen the Cloverfield movie? I have seen the ads and think it looks kind of neat, doing a wiki shows a short plot summary and a bunch of internet hype around its release. Any thoughts?

Bip Roberts
01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Its Blair witch project but with an alien

pahster
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm gonna see it sometime this weekend. Looks like it could be good, or, at worst, entertaining.

westofyou
01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Hand held camera, no lines, ad libbing by unknown actors... all the ingredients for a gigantic bomb.

Bip Roberts
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Hand held camera, no lines, ad libbing by unknown actors... all the ingredients for a gigantic bomb.

they arent completely unknown actors :p:

Bip Roberts
01-18-2008, 03:22 PM
err wrong thread

WMR
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I saw a leaked picture of the monster.

Bip Roberts
01-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Apparently that might be the only shot of the monster you get to see if you know what i mean

HumnHilghtFreel
01-18-2008, 03:35 PM

http://media.filmschoolrejects.com/images/cloverfieldmonsterart03.jpg

This is the pre-production concept of it

mole44
01-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Saw the movie last night. It was pretty good. I was unaware of the hand held camera part going in, so that took a lil getting used to. But you get used to it, well at least I did. As far as the no lines part goes, I really don't think thats the case at all, if so, these are some amazing actors. And you get to see plenty shots of the "thing". More and more and the movies goes on. The movie does a good job at keeping you interested throughout. But it does have one of those abrupt endings that don't sit well with some people. But overall, I enjoyed the movie, and I'd recommend it.

Roy Tucker
01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
My son went to the midnight showing of it last night.

He said it was fairly plotless, dumb, and short (like 80 minutes). The hype is way above the quality of the movie.

mole44
01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
It was short, but when it ended, it didn't feel like it was short, not to me. And plotless? Did he even watch the movie? He was probably one of those kids that was using the free camera's flashes to make flash puppets of their middle fingers on the screen. I guess I just don't pay attention to the hype of movies. But the movie went pretty much as expected as far as expectations go.

*BaseClogger*
01-18-2008, 04:13 PM
sounds like I AM LEGEND with a much smaller budget...

mole44
01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
sounds like I AM LEGEND with a much smaller budget...Nah, its not even close really. Slightly smaller budget maybe, but they aren't even close in plot.

Unassisted
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
My son and I just saw it. Best film I've seen in a long time. My son liked it a lot, too.

It also generated the most conversation I've ever heard after a movie. Most of the people speaking out didn't like it. Should be interesting to see the buzz.

Star Trek fans should watch for the Star Trek trailer that precedes the film. :cool:

Roy Tucker
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
It was short, but when it ended, it didn't feel like it was short, not to me. And plotless? Did he even watch the movie? He was probably one of those kids that was using the free camera's flashes to make flash puppets of their middle fingers on the screen. I guess I just don't pay attention to the hype of movies. But the movie went pretty much as expected as far as expectations go.

Just telling what he said. He said all the camera work was cool in a herky-jerky way, but in the end, it was just a monster rampaging through NYC and people doing stupid things and screaming.

I assume he was facing the screen when he saw it. And I don't think he makes finger-puppets any more. At the age of 20, I hope he's past that.

ninjashoes
01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
todays the day, me and a few friends are gonna check this one out tonight

kbrake
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Easily the worst movie I have ever seen.

KronoRed
01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Star Trek fans should watch for the Star Trek trailer that precedes the film. :cool:

You mean the 'Star Trek 90210' trailer :D

I'll wait for the youtube version

*BaseClogger*
01-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I thought it was neat... I'll give it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10, and I'm a tough grader :cool:

Oxilon
01-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I just saw it and I didn't think it was bad, especially considering it was just a monster movie. It could have been just a run-of-the-mill monster movie, but it can from an interesting first person perspective. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a great movie or anything, but it was entertaining and is atleast worth a rental once it comes out on DVD. I'm not sure I'd recommend anybody to spend the $10 a pop for the movie theatre though.

Unassisted
01-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Easily the worst movie I have ever seen.
Why do you think that?

Here's why I thought it was great.

I thought the single-camera perspective was a terrific way to tell this story. Without going into spoilerish detail, I'll just say that I loved the flashback device. I was impressed by the way the effects were good but they weren't overblown like some Jerry Bruckheimer extravaganza.

Most negative online reviews I've read seem to focus on the shaky-cam, the ending, the monster(s) and the unanswered questions. I had no problem with any of those.

TC81190
01-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Great film. Just fantastic. Once the action starts, it stays suspenseful 'til the end, a true thriller. The story gripped me just enough, but it wasn't overwrought. I thought the actors performed well, too.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

pahster
01-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Just got back from seeing Cloverfield. It was pretty good. It wasn't film at it's greatest, but it was quite effective. This is probably the only monster movie I've ever seen with characters that can be empathized with. Don't get me wrong, they're not incredibly complex characters, but there was enough depth there to keep me interested throughout the film. It was surprisingly funny, as well. The outcome is apparent from the beginning, but it wasn't all that predictable outside of that. It was obvious that many in the theater didn't understand or expect the ending. I guess they either (A) got to the theater late or (B) didn't read the text (all two sentences of it) during the film's opening.

kbrake
01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Why do you think that?

Here's why I thought it was great.

I thought the single-camera perspective was a terrific way to tell this story. Without going into spoilerish detail, I'll just say that I loved the flashback device. I was impressed by the way the effects were good but they weren't overblown like some Jerry Bruckheimer extravaganza.

Most negative online reviews I've read seem to focus on the shaky-cam, the ending, the monster(s) and the unanswered questions. I had no problem with any of those.

I had no problem with the camera or the ending I was just bored out of my mind the entire time. It just never had my interest I dont know maybe I just went into with expectations too high.

MrCinatit
01-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Just saw it, I liked it. We are not talking The Godfather here, but we certainly are not talking Manos The Hands of Fate.
My biggest beef: Why do the previews have to show so much? I was able to come up with the ending before I even sat down (knew who lived, who died, etc). I think I need to stop watching previews.

I thought the battle scenes, short as they were, were quite excellent - very well done and showed the chaos of battle.
I liked the actors. There were actually two actors who were my favorites from two bad sitcomes: the hot Lizzy Caplan from The Class; and T.J. Miller, who played the hilarious Marmaduke in Carpool. In the short amount of time, it did not seem that the character development was not completely hampered by the action, and visa versa. Yes, there could have been more character development...but I think they wanted to make a quick and to the point popcorn flick, and succeeded.
The monster was OK - but to be frank, it is quite difficult to come up with an original monster in this day and age. No matter what it looks like or what it does, it is still going to have that recycled feel to it.
I thought it had a bit of a Godzilla/Punishment Park feel to it.

savafan
01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
after reading these comments, I don't know whether to see this or not...

HumnHilghtFreel
01-20-2008, 03:18 AM
I just saw the 11:45 showing. A guy I heard while walking out of the theater summed it up pretty well. "It was like someone who's seen too many Godzilla movies got a chance to finally show what the people on the ground were going through."

I don't think I'll ever get used to the shaky camera thing. I had to look away from the screen a few times to refocus. It's probably a movie that is better seen in theater because of the feeling of chaos you get simply out of just how loud it is, mixed with the camera.

edabbs44
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Great film. Just fantastic. Once the action starts, it stays suspenseful 'til the end, a true thriller. The story gripped me just enough, but it wasn't overwrought. I thought the actors performed well, too.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Agreed...I really enjoyed it.

GoReds
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought it was a very intriguing movie. I've heard it compared to Blair Witch, but it's only comparable because of the use of the handheld camera.

The ending isn't really an ending though, is it? We really don't know what happened to the creature, if there is only one or if any of the smaller creatures made it off the island.

Certainly, there is plenty of room for another movie.

pahster
01-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Certainly, there is plenty of room for another movie.

I think a sequel would probably be a bad idea. The movie wasn't really about the monster/Mr. Grumpy Pants, it was about the people. They certainly wouldn't be involved in a second movie. I think Cloverfield would have been quite a bit more interesting with fewer (or perhaps no) shots of MGP. The unknown is scary, the known, not so much. I think this is why I'm for the most part drawn to older horror/suspense films than I am newer ones.

WMR
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
It was what made Blair Witch Project such a cultural phenomenon, IMO.

LoganBuck
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Over the weekend Cloverfield set records for a January movie release earning $41 million. It cost $25 million to make. The director was quoted as saying that they may have sequels that may be told from a different point of view showing the same series of events.

MrCinatit
01-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Over the weekend Cloverfield set records for a January movie release earning $41 million. It cost $25 million to make. The director was quoted as saying that they may have sequels that may be told from a different point of view showing the same series of events.

That actually is an intriguing idea, and could be the only way a "sequel" would work.

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
That's a great idea. It'll be a challenge to think of yet another way to tell that story from a perspective that hasn't been done many times before, like the military perspective would be.

Considering that I might spend the money to go see this film again, I'd definitely be willing to watch a sequel with a different spin on the same events.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-22-2008, 04:04 PM
The ending isn't really an ending though, is it? We really don't know what happened to the creature, if there is only one or if any of the smaller creatures made it off the island.

Edit: Possible Spoiler coming:

According to wikipedia, at the end of the credits you supposedly hear an audio clip "it's...still alive"

I left before then though, so I can't verify if that's right or not

TC81190
01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
According to wikipedia, at the end of the credits you supposedly hear an audio clip "it's...still alive"

I left before then though, so I can't verify if that's right or not

SPOILERS (highlight the text to read)

If you watched closely at the very last scene, when they are on the ferris wheel at Coney Island, something can be seen falling out of the sky into the ocean.

reds44
01-22-2008, 04:58 PM
If you think it didn't have an ending, you failed to grasp the meaning of the movie.

It wasn't about the monster, it was about the couple.

Overall I liked the movie.

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Here's a link to an article discussing the real camera used to film (actually video record) Cloverfield. Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen the film yet, you may not want to read the article, since it reveals a couple of very minor plot points.

http://gizmodo.com/347463/the-real-camera-behind-cloverfield

pahster
01-22-2008, 05:10 PM
If you think it didn't have an ending, you failed to grasp the meaning of the movie.

Yep.

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Trying now to avoid being political or spoilerish, I read another article somewhere that posits the film is really about 9/11. That theory will probably make a great college paper for someone before long.

reds44
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Trying now to avoid being political or spoilerish, I read another article somewhere that posits the film is really about 9/11. That theory will probably make a great college paper for someone before long.
Didn't see that at all.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Trying now to avoid being political or spoilerish, I read another article somewhere that posits the film is really about 9/11.

If you've read this week's Entertainment Weekly, you'd see that that actually came from JJ Abrams himself.

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
If you've read this week's Entertainment Weekly, you'd see that that actually came from JJ Abrams himself.We subscribe to EW, so I'll probably get that issue today. I guess I'm only half-surprised that this is an intentional interpretation. There are a couple of scenes in the film with very obvious parallels.

reds44
01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
We subscribe to EW, so I'll probably get that issue today. I guess I'm only half-surprised that this is an intentional interpretation. There are a couple of scenes in the film with very obvious parallels.
Good point.

Now that I think about it the smoke coming down the streets and people running away was very 9/11ish.

I think there might have been some similarities, but hardly about 9/11.

mole44
01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
http://www.cloverfieldendingcredits.com/ Goes into a little bit of detail about what happened at coney island, and after the movie. Whether or not its true, I don't know.

WMR
01-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone feel like puking while watching Cloverfield?

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/fans-losing-popcorn-at-shaky-cloverfield/20080124090709990001

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
maybe its just because you guys are old :D, but that movie didn't make me dizzie one bit. I found the hand-held camera refreshing...

WMR
01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
How old are you baseclogger?

pahster
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/fans-losing-popcorn-at-shaky-cloverfield/20080124090709990001

Not I nor anyone I was with.

reds44
01-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Never got close to puking, but the shaking camera had an effect on me and the person I was with.

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't think I'll ever get used to the shaky camera thing. I had to look away from the screen a few times to refocus.

I am a projectionist at a movie theatre and every showing is interesting. A lot of people can't handle the shaky camera and take breaks in the hallway...often. Opening night we had a few people throwing up. Fun stuff!

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
How old are you baseclogger?

Unassisted
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar/_a/fans-losing-popcorn-at-shaky-cloverfield/20080124090709990001Not a bit. And I'm someone who can't get on an airplane without being under the influence of Dramamine.

I've heard that the motion-sickness effect was worst for people who sat at the front of the theatre. I sat toward the back.

I did notice that my palms were sweating during the movie. That doesn't happen often.

Stephenk29
01-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Saw it tonight and the camera thing wasn't that big of a deal for me either. I walked out of there not caring to much for the movie. After I thought about it for awhile I'm starting to like it. Definitely a different kind of movie that had some sweet effects.

BuckeyeRed27
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
I saw it last night. I really liked it but my girlfriend hated it. We both agreed the the begining of the movie was pretty worthless and tough to watch, but I thought it was entertaining overall.

StillFunkyB
01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I really liked the movie.

I think it's what Godzilla should have been. Not some Matthew Broderick love fest.

I waited until the end because I had read to wait to hear some "radio" transmission. I thought it said "What now?" I didn't read anything else on it though.

mole44
01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Apparently it says "help me." Meaning it was Rob. But if you play it backwards, (saw it on youtube) It says "its still alive"