PDA

View Full Version : Edwin in the Dominican Winter League...

Grounds_Crew
01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Last night...

3-4
2 HR
7 RBI

...just food for thought! I hope Edwin has a monster year AND wins a gold glove! ;)

*BaseClogger*
01-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Last night...

3-4
2 HR
7 RBI

...just food for thought! I hope Edwin has a monster year AND wins a gold glove! ;)

a mosnter year would be good since we have so many lefties, and I have a feeling Brandon Phillips can't repeat what he did last year.
He probably could win a Gold Glove but not a Gold Arm! :p:

Stephenk29
01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
He's had two walk off home runs I believe too. I went to a game last week and he dropped one.

I get the feeling this will finally be Edwin's year.

crazybob60
01-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I really like those numbers and if we can get that marked improvement in him at the plate and even a somewhat improvement in the field, I would be more than happy with that. I don't really see Edwin as a gold glover, so just as long as he holds his own and gets better and not stays the same or gets worse in the field, I will be happy.

crazybob60
01-19-2008, 03:11 PM
a mosnter year would be good since we have so many lefties, and I have a feeling Brandon Phillips can't repeat what he did last year.
He probably could win a Gold Glove but not a Gold Arm! :p:

Just curious, how come you don't think BP can do it again? Mind you I wasn't totally sold on BP going into the season, and really I think there are still some questions there, but I think he will put up very, very similar numbers if not a tad better...

Bip Roberts
01-19-2008, 03:19 PM
There is no way Phillips repeats 30 homers.

*BaseClogger*
01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Just curious, how come you don't think BP can do it again? Mind you I wasn't totally sold on BP going into the season, and really I think there are still some questions there, but I think he will put up very, very similar numbers if not a tad better...

I'll give you two reasons Crazybob:

1. His home runs will decrease. Have you seen the thread on the ORG about just enough/lucky homers? http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64678
His HR/FB % last year was 15 %, which seems a little high. He had 2 less doubles last year than in 2006 despite 114 less PA's. I think about 7 of his homers from last year will turn into 5 doubles...

2. Next, I expect the BA to come down a bit as the league continues to adjust to his hacking tendencies. His OBP was pitiful, and a lot of his high counting numbers could be attributed to his large number of PA's

Edd Roush
01-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Looks like his 7 RBI have him leading the team with 14 total and he's hitting .308. I really hope he can bring this back to Cincinnati next year. Having two above average right-handed bats would be awesome for next year's team.

Degenerate39
01-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I really hope Edwin has a great season in 2008. Edwin and Phillips are going to be key players at the plate and in the field this year. Both are good at their positions and both are good at hitting I just hope BP repeats what he did last year and Edwin does what he did in the 2nd half of 2007.

durl
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Edwin have a terrific season in the Winter League last year?

Bip Roberts
01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I really hope Edwin has a great season in 2008. Edwin and Phillips are going to be key players at the plate and in the field this year. Both are good at their positions and both are good at hitting I just hope BP repeats what he did last year and Edwin does what he did in the 2nd half of 2007.

Team needs to get off to a very fast start also.

roby
01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Edwin have a terrific season in the Winter League last year?

I'm not sure HOW he played in Winter Ball last year...I do wonder if his slow start was partly because of fatigue. Maybe it would be a good idea to shut him down a little early and give him a rest before Spring Training starts. I agree that The Reds need Edwin at his best early on.

REDblooded
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
yes. he was a beast there last year too.

Jim
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
yes. he was a beast there last year too.

A lot of the players have success in ST and the various winter leagues and then fall apart in the beginning of the regular season. I think it has a lot to do with the climate change in returning to Cincy. Cincy in April can be brutal.

jimbo
01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
...and I have a feeling Brandon Phillips can't repeat what he did last year.

I remember a lot of people saying that exact same thing last season.

TStuck
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I remember a lot of people saying that exact same thing last season.

I suppose you could argue he didn't repeat it....He had a BETTER season!:thumbup:

jimbo
01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I suppose you could argue he didn't repeat it....He had a BETTER season!:thumbup:

Good point. I just think some are rushing to the judgement that BP has already reached his peak. Who's to say he can't put up even better numbers, or improve in areas where he lacks? We're not exactly talking a 37 year-old veteran here.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Good point. I just think some are rushing to the judgement that BP has already reached his peak. Who's to say he can't put up even better numbers, or improve in areas where he lacks? We're not exactly talking a 37 year-old veteran here.

The obvious place he lacks is plate patience, and generally 27 year-olds don't develope plate discipline in their fourth year in the big leagues...

AmarilloRed
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
He also hit into a lot of GIDPs last year. It would be a wise move to put him elswhere than the second spot in the lineup.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
He also hit into a lot of GIDPs last year. It would be a wise move to put him elswhere than the second spot in the lineup.

Getting back to EE, what do you guys think of him in the second spot?

jimbo
01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
The obvious place he lacks is plate patience, and generally 27 year-olds don't develope plate discipline in their fourth year in the big leagues...

"Generally," I would agree. But considering what BP has done after being left for dead by the Indians, I wouldn't put him in that category.

Stephenk29
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Getting back to EE, what do you guys think of him in the second spot?

I like EE in the two spot.

This may be way out of the box, but what about leadoff even? Decent OBP and not bad speed. Curiously thinking out loud here.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I like EE in the two spot.

This may be way out of the box, but what about leadoff even? Decent OBP and not bad speed. Curiously thinking out loud here.

The problem with that is we would have like four lefties in the next five hitters... I was thinking EE second behind Votto...