PDA

View Full Version : Affeltd signing,what does it mean?

fewfirstchoice
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I have been thinking about what exactly does the signing of Affeltd really mean for the rest of the off season for this team.One it means there done and move forward with the pitchers they have,putting Affeldt in the rotation.Two (and the theory i believe makes more sense) WK signed JA for the Bp and to setup another trade for a starting pitcher.With JA he could include a young bullpen arm (Bray or Burton) in a trade for a starting pitcher.I believe Wk goes after Bedard or Blanton now hard.I believe we will see something happen in the next week or so.With JA in the pen it really makes our BP look alot better.Then if we could add Blanton or Bedard that would probably make the Reds the front runners in the central.Sure a trade will cost us some talent but you have to give it up to get it back.I believe we could get Blanton for Cueto or Bailey,Bray,and Stubbs.Bedard would cost alittle more something like Bailey or Cueto,Votto,Burton(they want a young closer),and Stubbs.But the Os could alos throw a arm in like Walker or Bradford to replace Burton. But I would do either trade to make the Reds a better team right now.

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Krivsky has been going after Bedard hard already. I doubt their demands are going to change much.

O's have been demanding, from reports, about everything in the world for Roberts and Bedard.

TC81190
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
If we can now expend a BP arm, I'd throw Bray into the trade for Bedard. Also give them Cueto, Votto, and Stubbs. If they'd throw in Roberts, I'd also give them Bailey and another B prospect or two. But seeing as Angelos shot down a 7 player trade from the Cubs, I doubt that would get it done, and that would be the max I'd be willing to offer.

I agree with the notion that Blanton would struggle in GABP.

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Yea they are demanding more than that for Bedard alone it seems. They are a terrible ran organization.

TC81190
01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Yea they are demanding more than that for Bedard alone it seems. They are a terrible ran organization.

Yeah, they're going to miss their window with Bedard, I imagine. I don't know what the Cubs offered, but 7 for 2? How can you turn that down?

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah, they're going to miss their window with Bedard, I imagine. I don't know what the Cubs offered, but 7 for 2? How can you turn that down?

Because the cubs 7 is a bunch of junk probably.

TC81190
01-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Because the cubs 7 is a bunch of junk probably.

True, their farm isn't nearly as stocked as ours...

Newman4
01-20-2008, 12:23 AM
The "infamous" Cub 7 lol

Newman4
01-20-2008, 12:26 AM
BTW, I wouldn't trade Cueto or Bailey for Bedard now since the Ms have dropped Jones out of consideration. O's are up that proverbial creek with Bedard. The clock is ticking. Votto, BP arm (Bray or Burton), Stubbs plus one lower prospect. That's the offer.

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 12:27 AM
True, their farm isn't nearly as stocked as ours...

They have no real cant miss guys, they are kinda like us minus our top 4.

Rich Hill probably has the most trade value but i really doubt they offer him up for anything.

TC81190
01-20-2008, 12:28 AM
BTW, I wouldn't trade Cueto or Bailey for Bedard now since the Ms have dropped Jones out of consideration. O's are up that proverbial creek with Bedard. The clock is ticking. Votto, BP arm (Bray or Burton), Stubbs plus one lower prospect. That's the offer.

I'd offer it, but I wouldn't break the deal if they said "OK, but give us Cueto, too."

TC81190
01-20-2008, 12:29 AM
They have no real cant miss guys, they are kinda like us minus our top 4.

Rich Hill probably has the most trade value but i really doubt they offer him up for anything.

I wonder if Pie was one of the 7; the O's seem to be dead-set on getting an OF in that deal.

Bip Roberts
01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
I wonder if Pie was one of the 7; the O's seem to be dead-set on getting an OF in that deal.

I think even if he was his stock has dropped so low

Newman4
01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I'd offer it, but I wouldn't break the deal if they said "OK, but give us Cueto, too."

I would expect more than Bedard back for 5 players including two "blue chippers" M's are offering one of Morrow, Clement or Balentein and a couple A ballers. The proposed deal trumps that package without Cueto.

*BaseClogger*
01-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Isn't this what some of you were saying after the Volquez trade too?

UPRedsFan
01-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I like the theory, but as the bullpen stands now, the Affeldt deal could very well mean the Reds bullpen is now one of the best in NL.

Cordero
Burton
Weathers
Bray - finally arrives
Affeldt
Coffey - returns to his 06 performance

BoldOD
01-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I like this move in general; lefty, mid-90s, decent curve. It will be interesting to see how they use him. Yes, potentially a starter but would also work well in long relief.

chettt
01-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Back to the original question! Put a fork in it. WK is done with the pitchers. What you see now is your pitching staff. Maybe some minor trade. We keep the young guns. Stay close to the division leaders. '09 is our goal.

Stingray
01-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Back to the original question! Put a fork in it. WK is done with the pitchers. What you see now is your pitching staff. Maybe some minor trade. We keep the young guns. Stay close to the division leaders. '09 is our goal.

I sure hope you're right.

HalMorrisRules
01-20-2008, 12:18 PM

If '09 is your goal, then you dont spend the money this year and get Cordero. You can get closers next offseason if '09 is the goal. I am not convinced.

*BaseClogger*
01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
If '09 is your goal, then you dont spend the money this year and get Cordero. You can get closers next offseason if '09 is the goal. I am not convinced.

why get a closer next offseason when Cordero is available this year? Next year's money is for Derek Lowe (if we need him ;)). I'm so tired of hearing that the Cordero signing is a win-now move. He is signed for FOUR years! That means he is under contract for 2009, so he is part of the plan for 2009...

Stingray
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Keeping our young studs doesn't necessarily foreclose the possibility of winning this year if some of those young studs hit the ground runnning.

GoReds33
01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
This move means that we now have a decent lefty to go to, weather out of relief, or as a starter. He is young, and throws decently hard. I really think we got a steal on this one.

roby
01-20-2008, 01:15 PM
This move means that we now have a decent lefty to go to, weather out of relief, or as a starter. He is young, and throws decently hard. I really think we got a steal on this one.

I agree. Great signing. I also think it is a win now move! We can win now with Bailey and Volquez. I think that Affeldt will be the lefty starter...and do a good job. Your other two spots will be manned by Bailey, Volquez, Belisle, Cueto and/or Maloney. There are enough options to believe that a couple of them will work out. Win in 08 AND beyond! :thumbup:

redsfanmia
01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I think this move pushes Belisle into the bullpen as out long man/ spot starter which I think is his best role.

mlbfan30
01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I think this move pushes Beslile into the bullpen as out long man/ spot starter which I think is his best role.

What makes Affeltd better than Belisle? Belisle is a much better SP. I'm tired of people thinking Affeldt should be a starter.

As a Starter:
Affeldt: 8W-17L, 5.41 ERA, GS 37, IP 216.3, 96 BB, 127 SO, 117 tOPS+
Belisle: 10W-11L, 5.11 ERA, GS 42, IP 211.3, 56 BB, 146 SO, 103 tOPS+

However Affeldt pitches better than Belisle as a RP.

So why should Affeldt be starting?

Stephenk29
01-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Affeltd was signed for the bullpen. Just because we signed Cordero doesn't mean we were set by any means in the pen. I'm kinda surprised so many people want him in the rotation. Belisle isn't that bad, this will only be his second full year as a starter. Why are people willing to have patience with Bailey but not with Belisle? Matt is no top prospect granted but I think he has the potential to be a decent 4 or 5 guy.

redsfanmia
01-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Affeltd was signed for the bullpen.

Its being reported that he signed with the Reds because the chance to be in the rotation.

Stephenk29
01-20-2008, 06:03 PM
I have read that. Although I'm fine with them giving him a chance for a rotation spot, I just can't picture that as being the best use of him. MLBfan posted the stats, even Belisle is a much better option.

XU Lou
01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Back to the original query....I don't think the signing means WK has another transaction in the works specifically. However, this certainly gives him more flexibility to trade a reliever or a starter (althought I don't like Affeldt as a starter myself). Also, I hate to say it, I think the Drew Anderson signing may be a move for more flexibilty as well. If Stubbs is traded he would be another outfielder in the minors to fill in.

01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
What makes Affeltd better than Belisle? Belisle is a much better SP. I'm tired of people thinking Affeldt should be a starter.

As a Starter:
Affeldt: 8W-17L, 5.41 ERA, GS 37, IP 216.3, 96 BB, 127 SO, 117 tOPS+
Belisle: 10W-11L, 5.11 ERA, GS 42, IP 211.3, 56 BB, 146 SO, 103 tOPS+

However Affeldt pitches better than Belisle as a RP.

So why should Affeldt be starting?

Because his starting allows the Reds to keep three of the four young starters in AAA to start the season.

Affeldt was not signed to take Belisle's spot, he was signed to hold down a spot until a young starter is ready. Remember Bailey is only 21 so it would be a huge benefit for him to spend at least the start of the season in AAA.

I don't think anyone, including Krivsky, thinks that Affeldt will win 10 games or have an ERA much lower than 5, or even spend the whole season in the rotation. But he is a better alternative than Tomko, Fogg, or anyone else who was available, especially since if he fails as a starter, or gets replaced by a young starter, the Reds will have a hard throwing lefty in the pen.

If the Reds had a more solid and veteran rotation, it's a no brainer to put Affeldt in the pen, but the needs of the team dictate that he is best served as a candidate for the rotation, at least to start the season.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-20-2008, 11:57 PM

I don't trade Votto. We have no long term answer at 1st base in the minors if Votto is traded. Adam Rosales would be next in line of the young 1st baseman if Joey Votto was traded and I pass on that possibility. Scott Hatteberg needs to be included in the Bedard or Blanton trade. He's either 38 yrs. old or close to it. Hatte's value will not be any higher than it is right now. I keep the kids and wait for Andy McPhail to come to his senses. The pressure is on McPhail to make Baltimore better but that won't happen with the demands of his that have been reported. Krivsky doesn't have to flinch first nor does Seattle.

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Because his starting allows the Reds to keep three of the four young starters in AAA to start the season.

Affeldt was not signed to take Belisle's spot, he was signed to hold down a spot until a young starter is ready. Remember Bailey is only 21 so it would be a huge benefit for him to spend at least the start of the season in AAA.

I don't think anyone, including Krivsky, thinks that Affeldt will win 10 games or have an ERA much lower than 5, or even spend the whole season in the rotation. But he is a better alternative than Tomko, Fogg, or anyone else who was available, especially since if he fails as a starter, or gets replaced by a young starter, the Reds will have a hard throwing lefty in the pen.

If the Reds had a more solid and veteran rotation, it's a no brainer to put Affeldt in the pen, but the needs of the team dictate that he is best served as a candidate for the rotation, at least to start the season.

Exactly what I have been saying. Affeldt can be league average #4 or #5 while Bailey/Cueto/Maloney get ready, then move him to the pen. It's all about the win in 2009 plan, man :fineprint

Newman4
01-21-2008, 03:26 AM
I don't trade Votto. We have no long term answer at 1st base in the minors if Votto is traded. Adam Rosales would be next in line of the young 1st baseman if Joey Votto was traded and I pass on that possibility. Scott Hatteberg needs to be included in the Bedard or Blanton trade. He's either 38 yrs. old or close to it. Hatte's value will not be any higher than it is right now. I keep the kids and wait for Andy McPhail to come to his senses. The pressure is on McPhail to make Baltimore better but that won't happen with the demands of his that have been reported. Krivsky doesn't have to flinch first nor does Seattle.

Why would the O's want Hatte though? They're bent on a youth movement if they trade Bedard/Roberts.

BEETTLEBUG
01-21-2008, 03:38 AM
What would it take to get Ramon Hernandez of O's ?

01-21-2008, 04:24 AM
What would it take to get Ramon Hernandez of O's ?

A labotomy? :D

Hernandez:
.258 .333 .382 $7M salary

Ross:
.203 .271 .399 $2M salary

And Hernadez is not as good defensively.