PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Poll

chettt
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
What are our opinions concerning the Reds & spring training?

I voted for Arizona only because it looks like that deal is better for the Reds as a team. I have never been to any Cactus League game. I did go to the World Baseball Classic in Anaheim. I would attend in Arizona.

bounty37h
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
my opinion, I like the Reds, Spring training is good for em. ;) I thnk AZ stinks, but that is because I can drive to FL for a long weekend, I cant get to AZ so easily, and wont try to. But, I understand why they would move, just dont like it

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I prefer Arizona. Better weather, facilities, and the teams are closer together...

Carin4Narron
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Just because Legends Field and Bright House Field are cool DOES NOT mean the Reds or any other team for that matter NEEDS a new stadium like that. I am not saying the Reds are but some teams hold cities in Fla and Az at gun point and it isn't fair. Ed Smith is perfectly fine, it just needs new seats. You don't need a outfield bar or your hometown food to enjoy the sunshine and baseball.

bounty37h
01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
^ I have heard this weather reason several times, but dont get it, from my many spring training trips I have taken, it has rained once when I was down there. Not saying it doesnt rain when I am not there, I just have never noticed it to be a problem-never had a game rained out while I was there.

Stephenk29
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Florida seems like the best option if they actually want fans to attend. Not to many people can get out to Arizona. When it's in Florida people can drive there as well. Ed Smith seemed ok with me anyway, the game I went to last year was pretty packed.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Florida seems like the best option if they actually want fans to attend. Not to many people can get out to Arizona. When it's in Florida people can drive there as well. Ed Smith seemed ok with me anyway, the game I went to last year was pretty packed.

there are plently of baseball fans out on the west coast, and since all those teams are so close together you will have many "baseball people", regardless of their team, at the games...

AmarilloRed
01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't currently attend spring training games, but I would attend in Arizona if I could.

Stephenk29
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
there are plently of baseball fans out on the west coast, and since all those teams are so close together you will have many "baseball people", regardless of their team, at the games...

I agree, but I specifically meant Reds fans. Shouldn't those be the most important?

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree, but I specifically meant Reds fans. Shouldn't those be the most important?

I think you are right that more Reds fans could attend the games in Florida, but moving to AZ would likely give west coast Reds fans opportunities that under the old circumstances would not be able to attend Spring Training. These people probably never get the chance to see regular season games like the east coast fans can either. I also believe that the fans that do attend ST in AZ would find it more enjoyable than ST in Florida...

bounty37h
01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Base, you got $ stock in AZ or sumpin? :)

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I prefer Arizona. Better weather, facilities, and the teams are closer together...

agreed

also the people that are already able to afford the trip to spring training in Florida are going to end up going to Arizona anyways.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Base, you got $ stock in AZ or sumpin? :)

family that lives there and some do have money invested in property :)

plus I loved it out there in January 2007, except for the outcome of a certain football game... :(

kcjones
01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I agree. No more games rained out.

Stephenk29
01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I think the weather issue there is only a issue because the fields have zero (maybe it was just poor) drainage systems.

gedred69
01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
agreed

also the people that are already able to afford the trip to spring training in Florida are going to end up going to Arizona anyways.

Not me, and just about everybody I know that goes to ST. It is easier to sell the family on a week in Fla., Disney, Epcot, Busch, Universal, the Beaches and bikini babes.... I hear Az. beaches suck! How often have you been to ST?

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
For the people that arent going to go to florida because of the family they will make up with people from arizona going.

bounty37h
01-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Anyone know the timetable if they do move? I know there are yearly options in Sarasota after this year, but realistically, how long would we squeek by on them before the official move? Is there a chance this is the last spring training in FL this year? If so, I am going to work harder to make def plans to go to FL ST one last time, cause contrary to the earlier post, I can afford to drive to FL for a long weekend, cant for AZ. I understand the reasons people give they would rather have AZ, but none of them work for me. I will be sad to see a nearly yearly tradition for me go west.

Carin4Narron
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Anyone know the timetable if they do move? I know there are yearly options in Sarasota after this year, but realistically, how long would we squeek by on them before the official move? Is there a chance this is the last spring training in FL this year? If so, I am going to work harder to make def plans to go to FL ST one last time, cause contrary to the earlier post, I can afford to drive to FL for a long weekend, cant for AZ. I understand the reasons people give they would rather have AZ, but none of them work for me. I will be sad to see a nearly yearly tradition for me go west.You know, you can always go and see the Reds play the Marlins in Miami during the season. God knows there's plently of seats left for you to get.

bounty37h
01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Haha, true :) But, I love ST for what it is, getting to watch practices, drills, chance to interact with players more, etc. I drove down there every spring break in college, while other kids were goignt o Daytona Beach, Panama City, etc., I went to Plant City, Sarasota with a tent in the back of my car, set up and watched baseball all day every day. Get up early in the morning to head over to the stadium, get there before even the players do, walk around, feel baseball in the air, watch the minor leaguers camp, catch the afternoon game. It is just an experience different then just going to a game, feels more personable in ST.

gedred69
01-23-2008, 09:07 PM
For the people that arent going to go to florida because of the family they will make up with people from arizona going.

Huh!??!

Vada Pinson Fan
01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Playing in Ed Smith Stadium is going to cost the Reds $9 million for their share of maintenance costs. In Goodyear, Arizona the cost reportedly will be $0. If I'm Bob Castellini, I move to Arizona, save the 9 million dollars and invest it payroll. Which is to say that 9 million would pay a major chunk on the FA stud starting pitcher's contract during the contract's 1st year.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Huh!??!

The people they lose that travel from the east to florida will be made up from people traveling from the west to Arizona

gedred69
01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
The people they lose that travel from the east to florida will be made up from people traveling from the west to Arizona

Oh. So you are saying there are as many (or even more) Reds fans in the west as there are in the East? I asked a pointed question as to how many ST's anyone has attended. You? Care to offer up your number? Or are you proposing the Reds share their attendance, based on the fact that the west coast teams fans will show up at Goodyear because the team they follow is playing the Reds there. If that is the basis of your point, then, you dismiss Reds fans for anybody's fans. I find that weak for Reds fans and their support if so.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Im saying that a lot of people who go to spring training are probably going to end up going to Arizona anyways and ultimately its not going to be that big of a deal.

gedred69
01-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Im saying that a lot of people who go to spring training are probably going to end up going to Arizona anyways and ultimately its not going to be that big of a deal.
And I'm asking, will you be one of them? How many ST games do you attend? Or are you a Reds employee that will, of course attend wherever they do the ST thing.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
And I'm asking, will you be one of them? How many ST games do you attend? Or are you a Reds employee that will, of course attend wherever they do the ST thing.

I went a couple years ago for a couple games and honestly id probably go to spring training in Arizona in a few years if they end up there.

The reds have a big fan base in Florida because we have spent so many years there. Over time its going to be just the same in Arizona.

gedred69
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I went a couple years ago for a couple games and honestly id probably go to spring training in Arizona in a few years if they end up there.

The Reds have a big fan base in Florida because we have spent so many years there. Over time its going to be just the same in Arizona.

This is lame. I go every year to Fla. In Az.? The cost is prohibitive (check air fare) and, 'cause there aren't too many people from the Eastern fan base gonna' drive to Az. It tends to get neglected that the Reds have a substantial amount of fans from Ky., Tenn., WVa., Va., the Carolinas, and even Ga. Check the LP on cars in the lot at Ed Smith. Are you old enough to remember the Reds were on the radio in northern Ga. before the Braves got good? The Reds will lose every year attendants to ST like me if they move to Az. Sorry BC, can't afford that trip. I might once in 5 years, only because like you, (I think), I bleed Cincinnati Red.

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Id rather have the team have the best than settle for a place that doesnt want them

gedred69
01-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Id rather have the team have the best than settle for a place that doesnt want them

Ever more lame. You think Goodyear is the best? Now that they are putting the screws down on the negotiations? They want the Reds to enter into an agreement that states the Reds can't negotiate with anyone else for at least 90 days!?? This is America. Unless you or in this case the Reds sign your rights away, nobody has the right to take away that what the Constitution guarantees. Hopefully BC has the balls to realize this. (God and all of us know he must have the $$ to resist the pressure).

Sorry, I hate sharing the state of Ohio with Cleveland, let alone ST facilities.

Bip Roberts
01-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Sarasota doesnt want the Reds.

Goodyear has better facilities and better weather. I could care less who they share a park with. Its flippin spring training.

gedred69
01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Sarasota doesnt want the Reds.

Goodyear has better facilities and better weather. I could care less who they share a park with. Its flippin spring training.

Sharing a stadium/park is not a problem. Sharing facilities would be. In fact, the only other significant interest in Fla. is from Cape Coral (Lee County), where the Reds would have their own facilities in Cape Coral, and share stadiums in Ft. Myers with the Bosox and Twins. (BTW, Bosox facilities are also several miles from the City of the Palms stadium).
Don't know what you mean by better weather. In 8 years of attendance, I've never been rained out. It's the dry season in Fla.

AmarilloRed
01-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone know the timetable if they do move? I know there are yearly options in Sarasota after this year, but realistically, how long would we squeek by on them before the official move? Is there a chance this is the last spring training in FL this year? If so, I am going to work harder to make def plans to go to FL ST one last time, cause contrary to the earlier post, I can afford to drive to FL for a long weekend, cant for AZ. I understand the reasons people give they would rather have AZ, but none of them work for me. I will be sad to see a nearly yearly tradition for me go west.

The Reds could not move into Goodyear until 2010 at the earliest.

DannyB
01-27-2008, 07:25 AM
If you go to Spring Training just for baseball Goodyear will probably be better for you. You will be able to see alot more teams.The Reds dont make the long bus trips from Sarasota so you only get to see the teams that train in that general area.
If you like to do the tourist stuff while you are on vacation(Orlando,Siesta Key,etc.) well they will still be here.
There are a few things to do in or near Phoenix. The Grand Canyon,Hoover Dam and Lake Mead,Vegas are just a day away.
You might not want to make the trip evey year but its worth it occasionaly.