PDA

View Full Version : Billings name Julio Garcia as Mustangs Manager for 2008 season

dougdirt
01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071119&content_id=324033&vkey=news_t513&fext=.jsp&sid=t513

BILLINGS, MT -- The Cincinnati Reds have formally announced the Billings Mustangs coaching staff for the 2008 Pioneer League season will be led by manager Julio Garcia, who has 13 seasons of experience as a minor league manager.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2008/01/21/NERjlfdQ.jpg

Garcia takes the place of Frank Cacciatore, who initially was named Mustangs manager but accepted a job in the Philadelphia Phillies organization.

"I am very excited to be joining the Reds organization, an organization rich in baseball tradition, and also to be in Billings, which is also in a great league that has produced many Major League players," Garcia said. "I have never been in the town, but all the reviews I have received have been outstanding. I am looking forward to my stay."

Garcia's field staff will include first-year pitching coach Tom Browning, who pitched for the Mustangs in 1982 and was a 20-game winner for the Reds. Tony Jaramillo will serve as the hitting coach. Jaramillo replaces Aaron Holbert, who recently accepted a managerial position in the Cleveland organization.

Charles Leddon will return for his second season as the Mustangs athletic trainer and the Reds also have named Michael Bolduc the strength and condition coach.

Garcia, 47, spent the last two years as the Latin American field coordinator in the Cubs organization. Last year was his seventh season with in the Cubs. In 2005, he managed the Peoria Chiefs of the Midwest League. From 2001 to 2004, he managed Lansing, winning the Midwest League Championship in 2003.

Garcia began his coaching career in 1988 as the bullpen catcher for the Texas Rangers. He left Texas to manage Pittsburgh's affiliate in the Gulf Coast League. He later managed and coached in the Baltimore and Tampa Bay organizations before joining the Cubs in 2001.

In his 13 seasons as a minor league manager, Garcia posted a 621-655 record. In addition to managing the Mustangs, Garcia will also serve as special assistant to Cincinnati Reds Director of Player Development Terry Reynolds.

Browning -- who was born in Casper, Wyo. -- returns to the Mustangs 26 years after spending his first professional baseball season in Billings. He is the only Reds pitcher in club history to throw a perfect game. And his 20 wins in 1985 mark the last time the Reds have drafted and developed a 20-game winner entirely within the organization.

Browning is a member of the Billings Mustangs Hall of Fame and the Reds Hall of Fame. In his 10-year career with Cincinnati, Browning went 123-88 with a 3.92 ERA.

redsmetz
01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Here's a page about the Midwest League about Garica. He did lead the Lugnuts to the League Championship in 2003 and to the playoffs all four years he managed there. BTW, he managed Buck Coats.

Here's a quote from the page (although I don't know who writes these).

Garcia's a fairly conservative manager; he's less likely to call for bunts or intentional walks than most, and his baserunning calls are not aggressive. His baserunning calls have become less risky in recent years

He's from Cuba and does not seem to have played in the states. Speaking Spanish may be a useful tool particularly as some of the DSL and VSL players come to the states (although one of those teams is being eliminated, I think).