PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger Dead

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I didn't want to make too big a deal by starting a new thread about this in case it isn't true. There's a headline on The Drudge Report stating that Heath Ledger has been "found dead in NYC." :(

I can't find any stories about this with Google News yet.

jimbo
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
I didn't want to make too big a deal by starting a new thread about this in case it isn't true. There's a headline on The Drudge Report stating that Heath Ledger has been "found dead in NYC." :(

I can't find any stories about this with Google News yet.

Actor Heath Ledger Found Dead In NYC, Police Say

NEW YORK -- A New York Police Department spokesman says the actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at a downtown Manhattan residence.

Ledger starred in "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Brothers Grimm."

Ledger was found by his housekeeper in his Broome Street apartment with pills strewn all around him, according to police.

She entered his bedroom after she knocked and he didn't respond, police said. When she found him unresponsive, she tried to revive him and then contacted emergency personnel.

WNBC.com will provide more details as soon as they become available.

http://www.wnbc.com/entertainment/15113586/detail.html

Wow, how sad. Just at a loss for words.

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Wow, how sad. Just at a loss for words.

I just got a breaking news alert confirming this story from CNN. What a shame. :(

Mario-Rijo
01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
I just got a breaking news alert confirming this story from CNN. What a shame. :(

Wow, unreal! :(

MrsHammer
01-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a pill overdose from initial reports....sad...he has a young daughter. What a waste..:(

EDIT: oops...sorry I didn't realize this was being discussed in another thread.

Unassisted
01-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I just read that the apartment Heath was found dead in belongs to Mary-Kate Olson.

WMR
01-22-2008, 06:30 PM
WHAT THE HELL??????

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Absolutely insane

savafan
01-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm stunned. Ledger is one of the best actors around today...

GoReds33
01-22-2008, 06:53 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan residence, and police said drugs may have been a factor. He was 28.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the Manhattan apartment believed to be his home. The housekeeper who went to let him know the masseuse had arrived found him dead at 3:26 p.m.

A large crowd of paparazzi and gawkers began gathering Tuesday evening outside the building on an upscale block in SoHo, where several police officers guarded the door.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met Michelle Williams in 2005. The two had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

He most recently appeared in "I'm Not There," in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan — as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned an Oscar nomination Tuesday for best supporting actress.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He's had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot," and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball."

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series "Roar," Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in "10 Things I Hate About You," a teen comedy reworking of "The Taming of the Shrew."

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn't like.

"It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. "It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, `You're crazy,' my parents were like, `Come on, you have to eat.'"

This was very suprising to me. It's sad to hear. 28 is way too young.

WVRed
01-22-2008, 06:55 PM
This was in the Joker thread, but I doubt anybody will read it there.

Sad.

Matt700wlw
01-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Very sad...another young talent gone.

Oxilon
01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I heard in order to prepare for the Joker role, Ledger spent 6 months in near isloation in order to get the 'Joker' physce. My guess is he went to far in preparing for the role and ended up od'ing on some presciption pills. Joaquin Phoenix had the same problem after he played Johnny Cash. Actors these days....

GoReds33
01-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Sorry for starting another thread. I didn't see the other one.

Bob Borkowski
01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I just read that the apartment Heath was found dead in belongs to Mary-Kate Olson.

In an article now on the New York Times website, her publicist denies that it is Mary-Kate Olson's apartment. She says that
Mary-Kate and her sister do have an apartment in NYC but not that one and not even in that building.

vaticanplum
01-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I heard in order to prepare for the Joker role, Ledger spent 6 months in near isloation in order to get the 'Joker' physce. My guess is he went to far in preparing for the role and ended up od'ing on some presciption pills. Joaquin Phoenix had the same problem after he played Johnny Cash. Actors these days....

It isn't the acting. Getting into that kind of head space as an actor can maybe exacerbate instability, but it doesn't cause it. And a good actor knows where to draw the line too.

Anyway, it's very sad. Deaths like this always affect me more than I think they should. He's just so young, plus with a two-year-old kid.

pedro
01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2008/01/22/chronicle/archive/2008/01/22/DDG6UJRN4.html?tsp=1

(01-22) 13:26 PST -- On a seemingly routine Tuesday afternoon, word came that Heath Ledger was found dead. The 28-year-old actor best known for his Oscar-nominated role as a gay cowboy in "Brokeback Mountain" was found dead in a downtown New York apartment. Apparently, a masseuse showed up for an appointment, was led in by a housekeeper, and Ledger was found unconscious. The police found pills near his body.

In a little while, perhaps before you read this, the rest of the details will become known. Was it an accident? Was it suicide? Was there an unknown history of drug abuse? The answers to these questions will become part of the legend, and Heath Ledger will be enlisted into that ghoulish gallery of movie stars who, for one reason or another, died a good half-century ahead of schedule.

But before that happens - before the false hand-wringing begins on the nightly entertainment shows - before the interviews with ex-girlfriends reveal unknown truths that are probably false - and before the grave diggers show up with their microphones and cameras and their heads that can't furrow in fake grief because of all the botox injections - it might be worthwhile to take a moment to remember why exactly this particular 28-year-old rates an obituary in every major newspaper on the planet today.

Like few who ever lived, much less lived to be 28, Heath Ledger left behind moments and images that were guaranteed even Tuesday - even a week ago, when he was presumably healthy and had the world before him - to outlive his mortal life. When I got the news, I immediately flashed on one of them.

In "Brokeback Mountain," having said goodbye to Jake Gyllenhaal after their summer together - which is the only thing they'll ever have in their lives, and they seem to know it - he walks stoically away, then enters the frame as he passes an alley. In the background is the sky. Limitless. He stops, enters the alley and becomes a silhouette. He puts his head against the wall and sobs, struggling to hide his face with his hat. He curses. He punches the wall. He yells angrily at someone who passes by and stops to look. And two seconds later we see him in close-up, looking boyish and yet somehow like the world has just closed up, standing at the altar getting married.

"Brokeback Mountain" also was where he met actress Michelle Williams, with whom he had a daughter, Matilda, and lived with until the two split up last year.

This year, Ledger was seen in "I'm Not There," where he played one of the Bob Dylans and had just finished filming a sequel for "Batman Begins" in which he plays the Joker.

Unlike most of his contemporaries, Ledger had an old-fashioned manliness - the kind that seems to have fled America and gone south in recent years, as far south as Australia. (He was born there, in Perth, in 1979.) But unlike most of the old-fashioned manly stars of America's macho period, Ledger was at his best playing men in turmoil, men in trouble, men suffering from deep wounds to the spirit. At 28, he had 25 prime casting years ahead of him. Just to be selfish for a minute, think of how that talent may have grown.

The Hollywood of today doesn't nurture acting talent. That is, it doesn't look for roles that explore the actors' soul. But even accepting that, just by chance and the law of averages, just with a little dumb luck, Ledger should have had two or three or five or six more films in his life that challenged him the way "Brokeback Mountain" challenged him. I think that would have been Ledger's career, from here on out: A combination of OK movies in which he played men who were as magnificent as he looked. And better movies, in which he played men whose imposing physical presence and locked-down stoicism were a façade for an emotional life of desperation and helplessness.

Instead of looking forward, we're forced to look back - to the fragile young man he played in "Monster's Ball," who shoots himself in a fit of anguish. Or to "Casanova" and those scenes when the great seducer discovers his capacity to love one woman. Or to movies like "Ned Kelly," those ones with nothing much to recommend them besides what I once called Ledger's "big-slab-of-a-guy magnetism."

There's no way to make sense of this. No way to end an appreciation like this on an uplift when the news is so sad. If there's something positive to be said, it's that the best work Ledger left behind will last forever, and the rest is already forgotten.

E-mail Mick LaSalle at mlasalle@sfchronicle.com.

Degenerate39
01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
The Dark Knight will probably make a ton of money on this and it's for the wrong reason. Heath was just a great Joker from what I saw in the trailer and that's probably not what people will remember for the film.

Bip Roberts
01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
The Dark Knight will probably make a ton of money on this and it's for the wrong reason. Heath was just a great Joker from what I saw in the trailer and that's probably not what people will remember for the film.

Im pretty sure The Dark Knight was already slated to make a ton of money.

RFS62
01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow, how sad.

Bob Borkowski
01-22-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKa-aDga1fE

vaticanplum
01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the article, pedro. That was really nice.

WMR
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Somewhat reminiscent of Brandon Bruce Lee's death on the set of "The Crow."

Degenerate39
01-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Im pretty sure The Dark Knight was already slated to make a ton of money.

But you factor in that The Dark Knight was Ledger's last movie and more people will go to see it. Either way it's a sad day. He was a good actor and I hate to hear that he's gone.

FlightRick
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
It isn't the acting. Getting into that kind of head space as an actor can maybe exacerbate instability, but it doesn't cause it. And a good actor knows where to draw the line too.

Seconded. I've always loved interviews with Anthony Hopkins (tending towards the subject of Hannibal Lecter, naturally), where he discusses this issue. Acting is pretending, and he happens to be good at it; nobody was paying him to become a psychotic, cannibalistic evil genius, they were just paying him to portray one.

To be honest, the last time Hopkins was on Ferguson, he brushed right up against openly mocking your heavy-researching/immersing-yourself-in-the-part actors for being delicate, self-involved ******s (my turn of phrase, not his, but I assure you I captured the sentiment accurately), before backing off and saying "hey, whatever works for you, but that was never for me." Ever the gentleman....

I digress. Point is, if this urban legend grows that "The Joker killed Heath Ledger" (and is at least partially substantiated by the cause of death and any mental anguish/sleep disorders he was suffering from), it'll be Grade-A Horseplop. Not a bad story if you're a muck-raking tabloidist, but still pure manure....

Rick

GAC
01-22-2008, 09:41 PM
All I can say is Wow!

My first exposure to Ledger was in The Patriot. A movie I thoroughly enjoyed. After Brokeback, didn't his movie roles start to take a more darker side? I never saw Candy, but didn't he play a drug-addicted character?

It's just very sad.

RedsManRick
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Are there other notable circumstances where a prominent actor playing a main role in a soon-to-be-released movie just up and died? Obviously there have been actor deaths before, but the timing is quite scary.

WMR
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Brandon Bruce Lee and "The Crow."

Only he died on the set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

His father, of course, died mysteriously as well.

LoganBuck
01-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Are there other notable circumstances where a prominent actor playing a main role in a soon-to-be-released movie just up and died? Obviously there have been actor deaths before, but the timing is quite scary.

Aaliyah (sp) died before her turn as Acacia the Vampire Goddess in Queen of the Damned. They had to do some creative CGI to put the finishing touches on the movie if I remember correctly. Also her family was upset about the whole thing. Especially since she was dead, and playing the Queen of the Damned.

Highlifeman21
01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Heath Ledger had one of the best smiles I had ever seen from an actor.

I don't know what it is about it, but it just moved me.

A great smile.

And now, nothing more than a pair of lips resting together, forever closed.

RIP HL.

SteelSD
01-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Incredibly talented and incredibly likeable. Just tragic.

WMR
01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Incredibly talented and incredibly likeable. Just tragic.

It's quite surreal, isn't it.

sonny
01-23-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm quite bummed by this. From all accounts I've read/heard Heath's performance as the Joker was "Legendary".

The fact that his 2 year old daughter will never have her Daddy anymore is the most saddening part.

RichRed
01-23-2008, 11:31 AM
What a shame. All the great work he had ahead of him and a daughter to watch grow up. Really sad.

westofyou
01-23-2008, 11:36 AM

James Dean - Giant

Chip R
01-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Peter Finch died a couple of months after Network was released and was posthumously awarded the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for the role.

Blimpie
01-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Much smaller role within the movie, but the same thing happened to Vic Morrow while filming "Twilight Zone: The Movie"

KronoRed
01-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Sad, too young

savafan
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
River Phoenix was filming Interview with the Vampire when he died, and his scenes were reshot with Christian Slater in his role.

RedsBaron
01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
James Dean - Giant
Not only "Giant," for which Dean was third billed after Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor. James Dean died in a crash of his Porsche Spyder on 9/30/55. The next month "Rebel Without A Cause," Dean's most memorable film and one in which he was the lead, premiered.
An odd story about an encounter that Alec Guinness had with James Dean on 9/23/55. At a chance meeting, Dean showed Guinness his new Porsche. Guinness would later write that when he saw the Spyder "I heard myself saying in a voice I could hardly recognize as my own, 'Please never get in it.' I looked at my watch. "It is now ten o'clock, Friday the 23rd of September 1955. If you get in that car you will be found dead in it by this time next week.'"

WMR
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Posted Feb 6th 2008 10:17AM by TMZ Staff

The NYC medical examiner has finished the toxicology report following the death of Heath Ledger, and has just ruled that the actor's death was caused by acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

The NYPD found five different medications in Ledger's apartment after his death, including anti-anxiety medications Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium) and Lorazepam (Ativan). The sleeping medication Zopiclone (Lunesta) and the sedative Temazepam (Restoril) -- which is used by people with "debilitating insomnia" -- were also found.

Story developing ...

George Anderson
02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
An odd story about an encounter that Alec Guinness had with James Dean on 9/23/55. At a chance meeting, Dean showed Guinness his new Porsche. Guinness would later write that when he saw the Spyder "I heard myself saying in a voice I could hardly recognize as my own, 'Please never get in it.' I looked at my watch. "It is now ten o'clock, Friday the 23rd of September 1955. If you get in that car you will be found dead in it by this time next week.'"

Maybe Sir Alec heard "The Force" speaking to him!! :D

Cedric
02-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Posted Feb 6th 2008 10:17AM by TMZ Staff

The NYC medical examiner has finished the toxicology report following the death of Heath Ledger, and has just ruled that the actor's death was caused by acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

The NYPD found five different medications in Ledger's apartment after his death, including anti-anxiety medications Alprazolam (Xanax), Diazepam (Valium) and Lorazepam (Ativan). The sleeping medication Zopiclone (Lunesta) and the sedative Temazepam (Restoril) -- which is used by people with "debilitating insomnia" -- were also found.

Story developing ...

Let's just say that major respiratory depression occurred. That is some SERIOUS sedation right there. Four different benzos and Lunesta is gonna kill you obviously. Lunesta is long acting and the other four drugs are short acting Benzos. Basically the tip here is don't take five tranquilizers at one time. And definitely don't take one sustained release drug like Lunesta with those other Benzos. That's just a guaranteed way for respiratory depression and nothing is gonna get you breathing again.

And it looks like he took Nyquil on top of those drugs. And also it looks like he took Vicodin and probably Percocet/Oxycontin on top of that. It's absolutely not shocking that he died from that mix. It usually would take a gigantic amount of benzos to kill you. Mixing all those benzos with major sedating painkillers and Nyquil and you just aren't going to make it. Sad, but people are just so badly informed about prescription meds. It's amazing how many people I see that ask if you can drink while taking benzos. Honestly what would make you even think that is possible? Pounding tranquilizers with alcohol is something you NEVER should do. I'm not preaching here but if there is someone young on here that parties with Xanax and alcohol/painkillers you would be seriously surprised how easily you could cease to exist. And if you take percocet, Oxycontin or oxyIR with benzos and alcohol you are going to stop breathing fast and you have no chance of being revived.

With my job and my age I have friends that ask all kinds of questions about how they can get high with sleeping meds or prescription cough medicines. People get lulled into a false sense of security with pills because they are "clean" and can be obtained legally. I don't think they understand that these pills don't always sedate someone immediately and then someone starts piling on drugs over an hour period. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Ledger took Lunesta first and wasn't feeling an immediate effect, he was probably already using the opiates to get high. After that you have a guy with a MAJOR sedative in Lunesta and Oxycontin/Percocet/Vicodin deciding to mix 4 other tranquilizers to finally sleep. That's a sad way to die but not shocking at all to me. It happens all the time with Oxycontin alone.

The sad truth is someone could easily die from Oxycontin alone. Oxycodone is a tough one to gauge in this situation because there are so many different kinds of oxycodone he could have been using. He could have been using something relatively weak like Percocet or OxyIr, or he could have been taking another sustained release drug like Oxycontin and that alone would kill you with even one benzo. If you would take Oxycontin and Vicoding to party four hours before you started taking the benzos and Lunesta to sleep you would be in DEEP trouble. People fail to realize that while the high from Oxycontin will weaken obviously over time, the actual drug is released somewhat slowly and will last for up to 12 hours. Oxycontin should never be prescribed for anything but twice a day, but you would be surprised to see people get prescriptions for every 6 hours, just stupid.

Honestly I am amazed that DR's still prescribe Oxycontin as much as they do. In my personal opinion you shouldn't be able to get an Oxycontin script unless you have cancer or MAJOR back pain that you titrate up to an acceptable dose. I shouldn't say this but I have a patient that gets prescribed dosage of Oxycontin 80 mg EIGHTEEN pills a day. How anyone can live with that dosage is beyond me and how the DR is not investigated by the DEA is beyond me. We've had many doctors busted by writing higher dosages and then the patient uses say 90 pills a month but gets a script for 180 Oxycontin. They sell the 90 other pills for 70-80 dollars a pop. Do the math there and you see something like 7000 dollars split between the doctor and patient or just given to the doctor. You would be shocked how many MD's are under DEA investigation because of the absolute amazing prices on the street for Oyxcontin.

As a Pharmacist you should obviously call the MD and see why there is a need for such a high dosage. The problem is there is no limit to the amount of Oxycontin that can be prescribed per day for a patient. You've also got most of these patients getting brand name Oxycontin and you literally know you are giving away medication to be sold. Nobody in their right mind would pay the astronomical cash prices for brand name Oxycontin unless they were selling them. There is literally not one difference in any generic vs brand name drug unless you are taking Coumadin or Synthroid. And you also have the people that get these prescriptions through Medicaid and the taxpayer is paying enormous prices so that someone can live rich under the table. Talk about disgusting!

We've got a MAJOR problem in the United States with Oxycontin and other opiods and pretty soon it's going to become an epidemic.

Sorry for the long post, just sometimes get frustrated with these pain clinics and what is happening with my generation and prescription drugs. Also I'm sure you wouldn't be shocked to know I've worked with other pharmacists that have been found later to have been abusing these drugs. I even know of a DR that filled fake scripts to different medicaid patients profiles and would use or again use/sell the pills for a major profit. The Ohio State board hasn't heard from that guy in a year and he's on the run from the law. No joke there, he's gone.