PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Valenzuela, Reds top 30 prospect?

dougdirt
01-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Baseball America says so.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=702

The guys over at BA broke down how each team acquired their top 30 prospects and in the notes that the Reds had 2 Rule V guys listed, Jared Burton (how he didn't go over the roster time, I don't know) and Sergio Valenzuela. Its interesting to note the breakdown of the Reds prospects though:

ORG COLL JC HS D/F NDFA INTL TRADE RULE 5 INDY FA
Reds 15 0 7 0 0 3 3 2 0 0

Here is where the Reds rank among the 30 teams in each category
College - 6th (tie)
JC - 22nd (tie)
HS - 13th (tie)
D/F - 20th (tie)
NDFA - the most any team had was 1
International - 19th (tie)
Trade - 9th (tie)
Rule V - 1st
Indy - only three teams even had 1.
Free agents - only the Pirates had more than 1

edabbs44
01-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Interesting...I'd really like to see that intl number start to creep up. Only 7 teams have less than Cincy's 3.

Those seven: Baltimore, Detroit, Florida, Pitt, Cards, TB and Washington.

Kc61
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Why wouldn't Valenzuela make the top thirty? The Reds obviously thought highly enough of him to draft him and give him a shot at the 25-man roster.

Thinking about it, would have been surprised if his name were not included in top thirty by BA.

chicoruiz
01-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I guess he's a prospect; I don't really know what to call him.

...Except a story; he and Adam Pettyjohn are the stories I'm looking forward to following this spring.

camisadelgolf
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
. . . he and Adam Pettyjohn are the stories I'm looking forward to following this spring.

I find it simply amazing that Pettyjohn hasn't been given more of a chance in the Major Leagues. He may turn out to be the best minor league free agent signing for 2008. I'm not saying he's an ace, but on a Jim Bowden-managed Reds team, people would be talking like Pettyjohn has a good chance to be the #3 starter (for whatever that's worth).

edabbs44
01-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I find it simply amazing that Pettyjohn hasn't been given more of a chance in the Major Leagues. He may turn out to be the best minor league free agent signing for 2008. I'm not saying he's an ace, but on a Jim Bowden-managed Reds team, people would be talking like Pettyjohn has a good chance to be the #3 starter (for whatever that's worth).

What's the difference between him and Shearn?

SteelSD
01-23-2008, 12:11 PM

I sincerely doubt that.

Pettyjohn really hasn't been good throughout his long minor league career. The guy will be 31 in June, and his BB rate (2.29 per 9 IP) is the only thing even mildly interesting. The guy has played a ton versus younger competition, but still can't strike hitters out at a decent enough pace consistently. His MiLB HR/9 rate of 0.91 simply doesn't project.

He's fodder.

RedsManRick
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Convince me that Pettyjohn isn't a slightly better version of Ricky Stone.

camisadelgolf
01-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Convince me that Pettyjohn isn't a slightly better version of Ricky Stone.

Firstly, let me clarify what I meant: Amongst people in Pettyjohn's situation (which is a minor league free agent starting pitcher), Pettyjohn might have been the best player available.

Secondly, let me state for the record that I am not personally excited about Adam Pettyjohn--all I'm trying to say is that amongst minor league free agent pitchers, I think he was possibly the best option available.

W W% GS IP WHIP H/9 BB/9 SO/9 K/BB
TOTAL 16 .737 28 161.1 1.20 8.91 1.90 7.64 4.03
RANK* 1 4 2 3 2 6 2 4 2

The rank is amongst minor league free agent pitchers with at least 10 starts in AAA in 2007.

As for comparing him to Ricky Stone, for starters, Stone doesn't have the control of Pettyjohn, resulting in Stone walking more than one batter per nine innings than Pettyjohn.

Second of all, Ricky Stone has already established himself as a failed starter and is in the process of proving he has little-to-no value as a reliever; meanwhile, Pettyjohn hasn't been given a shot at the bullpen and move prove to be valuable there.

Third of all, there is a three-year difference between the two players, and you could argue that Pettyjohn could be a late bloomer entering his prime while Stone has been exiting his prime since 2003.

Fourth of all, have you seen Stone pitch? Outside of Phil Dumatrait, I'm not sure I've ever seen worse pitching in a Reds uniform. How could Pettyjohn not be a noticeable upgrade?

My prediction, and I think someone may have already said the same thing, is that Pettyjohn will be 2008's Victor Santos. That's not very high praise, but even Santos had value as a mopup pitcher and was traded late in the year for cash. One difference between Pettyjohn and Santos, though, is that Pettyjohn hasn't been given over 600 innings to prove himself. Heck, he hasn't even be given 100 innings. I just wouldn't be surprised if he put up Matt Belisle-type numbers at a league minimum, and I think he deserves a chance if he puts up good numbers in spring training and/or Louisville.