PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-23-08. The Marty was the host tonight and talked about the Affeldt signing. He said the rotation is unsettled after Harang and Arroyo and if Affeldt can fill one of those spots effectively, since he's a lefty it would help solidify the rotation. Marty said Jay Bruce was at the affiliate luncheon today and Marty basically wants to get married to him. He said he is a very impressive young man and will bowl you over with his talent and his personality. Marty said Walt was there today too.

After commercial Marty talked about the caravan. He really didn't mention any information that you can't get from the Reds web site so I won't recap that.

After commercial, high comedy ensued when Marty tried to take calls but couldn't hear what the callers were saying. :lol: When they fixed the problem the first caller asked how important is Brandon Phillips to the Reds organization. Marty thinks they will eventually sign him long term and people shouldn't get the misconception that the Reds aren't interested in that. He also warned people to not get their panties in a bunch about arbitration figures as it pertains to the lack of a long term deal. He said he'd be stunned if the Reds don't try to sign him to a long term deal. Marty thinks he's going to be one of the faces of this franchise for years. The caller said that Brandon made it worth going to the park last year even during the toughest times. Marty said if the Reds are intent on winning, Brandon has to be one of the pieces of the foundation.

The next caller asked about Sarasota and wanted to know if the Reds were thinking about funding the whole deal themselves. Marty said "there ain't a chance in hell that's going to happen". Marty said that there isn't a baseball team in the history of ST that has bent over backwards to stay there like the Reds have. He calls the suggestion of funding the whole ballpark "absolute, unmitigated lunacy." He said no team will do that especially when the community has shown they aren't interested in keeping them there. The caller asked what would be the PR fallout if the Reds did decide to go to AZ. Marty said the main reason for ST is to get the team ready for the season. The caller asked if the Reds minor league team and rehab facilities would move. Marty said they most likely would.

After commercial, the next caller said he was glad Thom joined the broadcast team. He said he lives in Washington D.C. and hasn't been able to hear a lot. (Evidently) Marty broke the news to him that Thom was here last year too. The caller said that that showed just how out of touch he is. (I guess they don't have things like newspapers, TV, radio or teh internets in D.C. Must be a pretty backward place.) Marty said that God must have sent Jeff and Thom to him for a reason. (And we're still trying to figure out what that reason is.)

The next caller asked Marty if he agreed with most people that the Reds would be a sub par team. Marty thinks they can finish above .500 but a lot of things will have to fall into place to win the division. He said if they had been successful in trading for a first rate pitcher they would have been a contender for the division and the pennant. He doesn't know if the signing of Affeldt is the final acquisition they are going to make but without good starting pitching, the Reds aren't going anywhere. The caller said the Central division is weak. Marty agreed and said they only have to get a little better.

The next caller said he talked to John Allen and suggested the Reds train in Daytona Beach and he said that Allen said they are looking into it. Marty said they would have to build a new stadium there and when the Expos trained there, they didn't go after any other teams.

After commercial, the next caller asked what the Reds HOF planned to do for Joe and they weren't sure whether it would be a permanent or a temporary exhibit. The caller wanted to know how they could let them know they would like to see a permanent exhibit there. Marty said to call the Reds and let them know how they feel and he personally thinks a permanent exhibit would be a great idea.

The next caller asked Marty what Walt is going to do for the Reds. Marty said he asked him that today and Walt said he would be an advisor and will work closely with Wayne on player evaluations at the big league level and on the possibility of trades. Marty said he's a very impressive guy and if you ask him a question you will get a direct answer whether you can use it on the air or not.

The next caller (most likely facetiously) suggested that Brantley pitch for the Reds. Marty said he can't throw the ball 60 ft. 6 inches and he'd tell you that. The caller remembered when he pitched for the Reds one time he pitched the fans booed him on every pitch. (I wonder if he felt small when they did that) Marty said he's the best and he had so much fun with him last summer.

The next caller wanted to know what Joe would have thought of the Reds moving to AZ. Marty said Joe was upset when the Reds moved from Plant City but he settled in nicely in Sarasota and he probably would want to stay in Florida. The caller said that most fans would probably want to go to FLA for ST rather than AZ and down in Sarasota there are a lot of people who wear Reds gear. Marty said everybody wants to feel wanted and the Reds aren't feeling any love from the county.

After commercial, the next caller asked if Marty could use his considerable influence and see if he can get baseball to have the Reds XM channel to play the Reds feed all the time. Marty said that it's the home team's broadcasters that do the game and that should be changed.

The next caller asked if Jr. would be a Red after this year. Marty said this will probably be his last year here.

The next caller and Marty wasted two minutes talking about Tracy Jones.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-23-08. So let it be written. So let it be done.

jojo
01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Woohoo!!!! I've been waiting.

lollipopcurve
01-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks Chip!

LoganBuck
01-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Good job Chip. Last night was painful, the callers were awful.

I almost wanted a rotten Eggsavier game to start at 6:30.

cumberlandreds
01-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes we do have TV,radio and Internet in most parts of DC. That caller must have been from Marion Barry's ward. They are still waiting on indoor plumbing over there. It is legal now in some states for Marty and Jay Bruce to get married if they so please. Thanks Chip!

redsmetz
01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
The next caller asked Marty if he agreed with most people that the Reds would be a sub par team.

Must have been a caller from the 'Zone, no?

The next caller asked about Sarasota and wanted to know if the Reds were thinking about funding the whole deal themselves. Marty said "there ain't a chance in hell that's going to happen". Marty said that there isn't a baseball team in the history of ST that has bent over backwards to stay there like the Reds have. He calls the suggestion of funding the whole ballpark "absolute, unmitigated lunacy." He said no team will do that especially when the community has shown they aren't interested in keeping them there. The caller asked what would be the PR fallout if the Reds did decide to go to AZ. Marty said the main reason for ST is to get the team ready for the season. The caller asked if the Reds minor league team and rehab facilities would move. Marty said they most likely would.

Marty is right that it would be sheer lunacy, but frankly, I would find it unbelievably refreshing. For a region that has really taken it on the chin, it would be a heckuva gesture and wouldn't not be a financially risky move, IMHO. In today's environment, it would be seen as crazy, but it could be done.

Also, Chip, allow me to echo what others have said - thanks for the reports. They're thorough, informative and enjoyable.

Unassisted
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Great report, as always Chip. Thanks for taking the time to produce it.

I suggest that you start a "What would Joe think?" tally to replace the Sean Casey meter. ;)

Screwball
01-24-2008, 11:47 AM
The next caller and Marty wasted two minutes talking about Tracy Jones.

:laugh:

Nicely done as always, Chip.

Chip R
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Must have been a caller from the 'Zone, no?

Nah, he was actually pretty ticked off that most people think the Reds will be sub par so he couldn't have possibly been a Zoner. :p:

I suggest that you start a "What would Joe think?" tally to replace the Sean Casey meter. ;)

I don't think I can count that high. :eek:

bucksfan2
01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Someone needs to call up and ask about Sean Casey. Once the flood gate is open there will be calls every week about him. I am getting a little nervous about the Casey meter because spring training is approaching and no one has mentioned him.

Highlifeman21
01-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Someone needs to call up and ask about Sean Casey. Once the flood gate is open there will be calls every week about him. I am getting a little nervous about the Casey meter because spring training is approaching and no one has mentioned him.

Last week I called and was stuck in the holding pattern. Probably after they asked me what I wanted to say and I said "I wanna know Marty's opinion of bringing back Sean Casey and trading Joey Votto for pitching", they knew that I must be a Cubs fan.

Heath
01-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Someone needs to mix in a call and not only ask about Sean Casey, but at the end, say "A little shout-out to RedsZone.com" and hang up.

I'd personally think about putting up a prize to someone for that.

:D

BRM
01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Someone needs to mix in a call and not only ask about Sean Casey, but at the end, say "A little shout-out to RedsZone.com" and hang up.

I'd personally think about putting up a prize to someone for that.

:D

Or a shout out to that "boob" Pedro from Portland. ;)

pedro
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Or a shout out to that "boob" Pedro from Portland. ;)

People are very proud of me out here.

BRM
01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
People are very proud of me out here.

Didn't he call you a boob or am I remembering it all wrong?

westofyou
01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Speaking of Casey, the Bosox are kicking his tires

pedro
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Speaking of Casey, the Bosox are kicking his tires

I hear they want him to be manny's "designated hugger"

pedro
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Didn't he call you a boob or am I remembering it all wrong?

why yes, yes he did. :)

He also said people must be very proud of me out here.

KronoRed
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Maybe we could use Steve Finley...

Thanks Chip :)

BRM
01-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Ah, that's right. It didn't register when you said that in your first post. I'm getting dense in my old age.

BRM
01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe we could use Steve Finley...

Thanks Chip :)

Well, we do need a centerfielder...

westofyou
01-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Yes... by the end of the year Bill James will have an article out about the effect of hugs in the dugout

membengal
01-24-2008, 05:05 PM

Does anyone here read Get Fuzzy?

I have started to think of Casey as a baseball version of Chubby Huggs, the first floor cat from that strip...

redsmetz
01-24-2008, 05:12 PM

I have started to think of Casey as a baseball version of Chubby Huggs, the first floor cat from that strip...

The Enquirer just started carrying it, so it must have been in The Post. I'm still trying to figure the strip out.

westofyou
01-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Get Fuzzy rocks

membengal
01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
The Enquirer just started carrying it, so it must have been in The Post. I'm still trying to figure the strip out.

I couldn't recommend it any higher. Go pick up a few of the books collecting strips from the past, well worth the time.

It does, indeed, rock.

pedro
01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Get Fuzzy is one of the few current comic strips worth reading IMO.

Good stuff.

Tom Servo
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I myself am particularly fond of that one Ziggy strip where something bad happens to him.

redsmetz
01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I couldn't recommend it any higher. Go pick up a few of the books collecting strips from the past, well worth the time.

It does, indeed, rock.

I had a problem with the Enquirer picking up four strips with no explanation. Some didn't need it, such as Classic Peanuts and Dilbert (which I think they carried on Sundays), but this particular strip could have used some introduction - it feels like jumping into the middle of a movie and there's no context, IMO.

vaticanplum
01-24-2008, 08:25 PM

I've never heard this story. Can we get a recap?

pedro
01-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I've never heard this story. Can we get a recap?

So as not to sully this thread with my previous diatribe and because rumor has it that Marty was very nice at Redsfest this evening I'll just give you a link.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49080&highlight=boob&page=8

vaticanplum
01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
So as not to sully this thread with my previous diatribe and because rumor has it that Marty was very nice at Redsfest this evening I'll just give you a link.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49080&highlight=boob&page=8

Recent searches on Redszone:

dunn longterm
Krivdawg
eric bederd bruce
boob

reds44
01-24-2008, 09:12 PM

dunn longterm
Krivdawg
eric bederd bruce
boob
Oooops.

Sorry boys and girls, it's a long lonely winter.

pedro
01-24-2008, 09:23 PM

boob

It got 9 hits. :)

red-in-la
01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Who writes "Get Fuzzy" ?

membengal
01-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Darby Conley.