PDA

View Full Version : Dustys World

DannyB
01-24-2008, 05:38 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/01/talking-to-dusty.asp

Talking to Dusty

Dusty Baker held a mini-press conference before the buses rolled on the caravan. The highlights:

On Jeremy Affeldt: "Were hoping Jeremy can adjust to starting. I talked to him. Hes trying to add a third pitch a changeup, which is going to be a bit of an experiment in spring training. If it doesn't work I told Id give him every opportunity you know hes qualified as a reliever. Everybody needs that. But everybodys looking for a left-handed starter. Were going to train him and prepare him as a start. If it doesnt work, he can always relieve. It's harder to prepare him as a reliever and then ask him to start."

On the center field situation: "You're asking questions that I'll have to see when I get there. I've never see Norris Hopper play. I've seen Ryan Freel play. At this point, there could be some other guys in the mix. That's a very, very, very important position on our ballclub. Right now, it's Freel and Hopper and we'll see if the other guys are ready. We may get a surprise guy to open some guys."

And Jay Bruce: "I'm going to let the young man be himself. Let him play. Don't put any pressure on him. He's headlines already. I hear the reports on him are very, very good. I've never seen him play. I'm excited and anxious to see him play."

I asked Freel if his knee would be ready by spring training:

"Yeah."

100 percent?

"98.6 percent."

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Right now, it's Freel and Hopper and we'll see if the other guys are ready. We may get a surprise guy to open some guys."

Sounds like Jay Bruce is really going to have to impress to win the CF spot. Freel looks to be out to the early lead.

How I hate Dusty Baker... :(

Dracodave
01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Sounds like Jay Bruce is really going to have to impress to win the CF spot. Freel looks to be out to the early lead.

In this case, I don't blame him. Freel's atleast proven he can start in the majors..even if its temp. status. I would like Bruce to start int he majors but if he stumbles in spring training, I'd rather let him rebound in triple a than in the bigs.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
In this case, I don't blame him. Freel's atleast proven he can start in the majors..even if its temp. status. I would like Bruce to start int he majors but if he stumbles in spring training, I'd rather let him rebound in triple a than in the bigs.

sure, but it should be his spot to lose. I'm not sure what "proven he can start in the majors" means, but there have been plently of bad players that have started for a while in the majors. I don't want Ryan Freel to be that next guy- he's a super-sub. Jay Bruce will be the most productive and needs to be the starting CF, barring a terrible spring...

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM

Why wouldnt Bruce have to really impress to win the CF spot?

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Why wouldnt Bruce have to really impress to win the CF spot?

because I'm already really impressed!

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 06:44 PM
because I'm already really impressed!

Well holy dang

OldRed1966
01-24-2008, 06:53 PM
How can Baker say he's never seen Hopper play? Didn't he watch any baseball as an ESPN analyst?

jimbo
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
sure, but it should be his spot to lose.

Based on what? He's never played an inning in the majors.

I have no problem with how Dusty is talking about CF. Freel and Hopper are both known commodities and IMO, Bruce still needs to come into spring training with the thinking that he has to compete for the job. I don't think it's even good for him at his age to "give him" the job. He should have to earn it.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
How can Baker say he's never seen Hopper play? Didn't he watch any baseball as an ESPN analyst?

Seeing a guy play and seeing highlights tend to differ a little bit

DannyB
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I really think Hopper took over CF last year. If I was buying tickets tho I would want to see Bruce.

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Based on what? He's never played an inning in the majors.

I have no problem with how Dusty is talking about CF. Freel and Hopper are both known commodities and IMO, Bruce still needs to come into spring training with the thinking that he has to compete for the job. I don't think it's even good for him at his age to "give him" the job. He should have to earn it.

Agreed. It should definitely be Freel's job to lose. He is the hardest working player on the field every night he is out there. He deserves a starting spot and right now, that spot happens to be in center. Bruce has plenty of time to prove himself.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Its not freels job to lose imo but its not something you hand to a rookie.

XU Lou
01-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Agreed. It should definitely be Freel's job to lose. He is the hardest working player on the field every night he is out there. He deserves a starting spot and right now, that spot happens to be in center. Bruce has plenty of time to prove himself.

Nice first post BuckWild, I agree that a Freel/Hopper combination is how the season will start and that is the way to go.

Bruce will be in the starting lineup by June at the latest though.

kbrake
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM

Hardest working and good are two very different things. It should be a completely open competition. With Bruce, Hopper, and Freel all getting the same chance, but I highly doubt it will be. If history is any indication Dusty will give the veterans every chance over Bruce.

XU Lou
01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't know if you can just blame it on Dusty's history. It is the history of this franchise to slowly ease in a rookie. As I said, if Bruce doesn't play his way into the lineup is ST, he will by June.

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Also have to consider the fact that Freel and Hopper will be two of the more effective leadoff men in the lineup. Bruce struck out a lot in the minors. That's not something you want from a leadoff man.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Lead off man only leads off once a game

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:41 PM
For me, I want the best player starting in CF. Now somebody tell me that Ryan Freel is better than Jay effing Bruce...

kbrake
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Lead off man sets things up for the rest of the lineup the entire game.

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
For me, I want the best player starting in CF. Now somebody tell me that Ryan Freel is better than Jay effing Bruce...

No one can say that simply because we don't have the comparison. Sure, Bruce has a huge upside to his game, but he has yet to play in the majors. Freel has.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
No one can say that simply because we don't have the comparison. Sure, Bruce has a huge upside to his game, but he has yet to play in the majors. Freel has.

I don't understand this logic... Just because Freel has played in the big leagues and proven he is a mediocre hitter at best, that makes him better than an unknown that is the #1 prospect in baseball that is being compared to Larry Walker and put up huge numbers in AAA?

kbrake
01-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Jay Bruce could hit better than Ryan Freel if he were using a wiffle ball bat I dont care if he has yet to play in the majors.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Where did dusty say that its freels job to lose and that there is no chance Bruce is going to play there?

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I am not disagreeing with the fact that Bruce is a better hitter. The fact of this discussion is, he has yet to prove himself in the majors so until then, he is going to have to earn a spot in center and he is going to have to compete with Freel and Hopper who both have major league experience.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:52 PM
what does "compete" mean? I think all Jay Bruce has to do is stand next to Ryan Freel and you will be able to see the job is Jay's to lose...

kbrake
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
He has not said it. He doesnt need to. Judging by his history, which is all we really have to go on, he tends to play veterans over young guys.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Where did dusty say that its freels job to lose and that there is no chance Bruce is going to play there?

Right now, it's Freel and Hopper and we'll see if the other guys are ready.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
He said its Freel and Hoppers job right now but if Bruce comes out and plays well and is ready then hes the guy... I dont think its that hard to understand.

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
what does "compete" mean? I think all Jay Bruce has to do is stand next to Ryan Freel and you will be able to see the job is Jay's to lose...

The fact of the matter is, Dusty is not going to just shove aside the players that have major league experience and let a guy with no experience take that spot away from them without him earning it.

Again, I do not disagree with the fact that Jay Bruce may become a great player in the future, maybe even this year, but I don't see Freel and Hopper going down without a fight.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
He said its Freel and Hoppers job right now but if Bruce comes out and plays well and is ready then hes the guy... I dont think its that hard to understand.

And I'm saying that Jay Bruce is ready and it should be his job. If Bruce hits .300 in spring and Freel bats a flukey .450 should it be Freel's job on opening day? That's what I mean when I say I want it to be Bruce's job- I want him to have some cushion...

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
The fact of the matter is, Dusty is not going to just shove aside the players that have major league experience and let a guy with no experience take that spot away from them without him earning it.

Again, I do not disagree with the fact that Jay Bruce may become a great player in the future, maybe even this year, but I don't see Freel and Hopper going down without a fight.

You are right, and it is why I dislike Dusty Baker...

BuckWild03
01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
And I'm saying that Jay Bruce is ready and it should be his job. If Bruce hits .300 in spring and Freel bats a flukey .450 should it be Freel's job on opening day? That's what I mean when I say I want it to be Bruce's job- I want him to have some cushion...

Spring Training is when he will earn it if indeed he does. But you are trying to give him the job right now which just doesn't make sense.There is no reason for him to have some "cushion" until he earns it.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:04 PM

If Bruce comes out and has a strong spring yes he should start, but if he comes out and struggles im not ok with just handing him the job.

I dont see where dusty has said anything but that.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
If Bruce comes out and has a strong spring yes he should start, but if he comes out and struggles im not ok with just handing him the job.

I dont see where dusty has said anything but that.

what if all three struggle?

do spring stats even matter?

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
You are right, and it is why I dislike Dusty Baker...

Because hes been well known for playing all those amazing rookies hes had over the years right?

Oh thats right hes never had young talent to play. Chicago doesnt have it and Giants still dont.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Because hes been well known for playing all those amazing rookies hes had over the years right?

Oh thats right hes never had young talent to play. Chicago doesnt have it and Giants still dont.

Besides the baseclogging comments, the reason I dislike Dusty Baker is he manages all his teams as though they are in the World Series hunt. He has no idea how to manage a young team that is rebuilding or in the process of competing...

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
what if all three struggle?

do spring stats even matter?

Im not the manager, but Id imagine a lot of MLB teams would have Bruce start in AAA and go with Hopper and Freel.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Besides the baseclogging comments, the reason I dislike Dusty Baker is he manages all his teams as though they are in the World Series hunt. He has no idea how to manage a young team that is rebuilding or in the process of competing...

Hes never had a young team or one in the process of rebuilding

kbrake
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM

Didnt give Matt Murton or Ryan Theriot much of a chance in Chicago.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM

what was the team he had in the last year he was with the Cubs?

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM

and this makes him a good managerial choice for the Reds?

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM

A badly constructed team full of junk...

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
and this makes him a good managerial choice for the Reds?

No idea because ive never seen him do it.

AmarilloRed
01-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Freel is not a starting center fielder because he cannot stay healthy, and Hopper is not one because he is not disciplined enough to take a walk. We can expect Hopper's BA will drop this year, and when it does it will be clear his OBP will not be high enough to be a lead-off man. Jay Bruce has a chance to be the starting center fielder out of spring training, but if he is not it will not take long because there really is no viable alternative in center field.

OldRed1966
01-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Seeing a guy play and seeing highlights tend to differ a little bit

I'm not talking about watching highlights. I'm talking about watching an actual game. I find it hard to believe that he's never seen Hopper play.

Hubba
01-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm not talking about watching highlights. I'm talking about watching an actual game. I find it hard to believe that he's never seen Hopper play.
Do you think that he lied?

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM

1 or 2 games isnt really watching a guy play. Ive seen Matt Murton play a few times and really I cant tell you much about him besides what the numbers say.

CySeymour
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Also have to consider the fact that Freel and Hopper will be two of the more effective leadoff men in the lineup. Bruce struck out a lot in the minors. That's not something you want from a leadoff man.

Freel k's quite a bit, too.

BLEEDS
01-25-2008, 12:46 PM

That is Hilarious.

It's funny because it's true!
:beerme:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
01-25-2008, 12:49 PM

A badly constructed team full of junk...

Some might say the same thing about the Reds.

No proven pitching beyond Harang (a #1) and Arroyo (a #3)

Still suspect Bullpen.

No leadoff hitter.

Horrible corner OF defense.

Lefty dominant lineup that can't hit LHP.

Catchers suck - the one that can hit can't throw guys out, the one who can throw guys out can't hit.

No bench.

I could go on...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Yea and the reds have young talent that is ranked among the highest in baseball. Then again you are the same guy that would rather have Jon Leiber, Bartolo colon and Brett Tomko starting than our young guys. I guess its better to be proven to suck.

No bench? Keppinger, Hopper, Hatteberg, Freel, Valentin, and who knows what else will show up in the spring. I imagine you can do a whole lot worse with a bench.

Still suspect bullpen? Just because you refuse to think that having Burton all year, moving Weathers down a notch and adding a proven closer to the mix isnt going to improve our bullpen doesnt mean it hasnt been.

If anything this team is unproven but to call it junk is plain wrong.

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I dig this quote

Q: How do you feel about the depth of the pitching staff?

A: We're improving. That's one of the things Bob Castellini told me when I signed on: We're going to make this team better. We're going to try to add to the depth of it. You're still at the mercy of what's out there. Everybody's looking for the same thing. Everybody's looking for pitching. Hopefully, we have enough. If we don't, we'll go back to the drawing board. Bob Castellini said get whatever is necessary. You don't want to be stupid or crazy. That's the worst thing you can do is make bad decisions for the short run. We're looking at the long haul.

Also about Affeldt

Q: Does adding Jeremy Affeldt solidify the rotation?

A: I don't know if it solidifies it. You're always looking for an upgrade of the rotation. We have a mixture of youth and some veterans and some unknowns. We're hoping Jeremy can adjust to starting. I talked to him. He's trying to add a third pitch, a changeup, which is going to be a bit of an experiment.

If it doesn't work - I told him I'd give him every opportunity (in spring training) - you know he's qualified as a reliever. Everybody needs that. But everybody's looking for a left-handed starter. We're going to train him and prepare him as a starter. If it doesn't work, he can always relieve. But it's harder to prepare him as a reliever in spring training and move him into starting.

and one last one on Bruce

Q: How do you see Jay Bruce?

A: I'm going to let the young man be himself. Let him play. Don't put any pressure on him. He's had headlines already. I hear the reports on him are very, very good. I've never seen him play. I'm excited and anxious to see him play.

BLEEDS
01-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Yea and the reds have young talent that is ranked among the highest in baseball. Then again you are the same guy that would rather have Jon Leiber, Bartolo colon and Brett Tomko starting than our young guys. I guess its better to be proven to suck.

No bench? Keppinger, Hopper, Hatteberg, Freel, Valentin, and who knows what else will show up in the spring. I imagine you can do a whole lot worse with a bench.

Still suspect bullpen? Just because you refuse to think that having Burton all year, moving Weathers down a notch and adding a proven closer to the mix isnt going to improve our bullpen doesnt mean it hasnt been.

If anything this team is unproven but to call it junk is plain wrong.

I didn't say I agreed with it, just said SOME might say that. We do have critics you know.

You really need to quit hanging on to that old discussion and bringing it up in every single one of my posts you reply to. You're starting to look like a stalker and a troll.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I didn't say I agreed with it, just said SOME might say that. We do have critics you know.

You really need to quit hanging on to that old discussion and bringing it up in every single one of my posts you reply to. You're starting to look like a stalker and a troll.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
That old discussion that was less than a week ago?

Maybe if you didnt state the things you listed over and over I wouldnt have a reason to believe you agree with them. :thumbdown

BLEEDS
01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
That old discussion that was less than a week ago?

Maybe if you didnt state the things you listed over and over I wouldnt have a reason to believe you agree with them. :thumbdown

Do you have any idea what "thread hijacking" means?

Every thread I'm in you have to jump in and reply with "your the guy who wants to start a veteran SP versus the young guys, blah blah blah..." it's getting kind of old, and is extremely LAME.

I made A LOT more comments than just the SP. The point was we have no PROVEN pitching behind Harang and Arroyo. You can't dispute that, so you start again with your strawman. Annoying.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Do you have any idea what "thread hijacking" means?

Every thread I'm in you have to jump in and reply with "your the guy who wants to start a veteran SP versus the young guys, blah blah blah..." it's getting kind of old, and is extremely LAME.

I made A LOT more comments than just the SP. The point was we have no PROVEN pitching behind Harang and Arroyo. You can't dispute that, so you start again with your strawman. Annoying.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
If i recall you are the one that replied to my post 1st.

scuba17
01-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Get used to some weird comments from Dusty from time to time. It is inevitable....

Stephenk29
01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
posted in the wrong thread somehow