PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Question

UPRedsFan
01-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I've never been to spring training and thinking of going this year. Are you able to view workouts/practice or only the games? Any information / advice from those who've been there would be greatly appreciated.

DannyB
01-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I think they work out and practice in the mornings.
I never got there early enough but I could see where they workout-its a wide open field.
March is a great month to visit Florida.

GoReds33
01-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I've never been to spring training and thinking of going this year. Are you able to view workouts/practice or only the games? Any information / advice from those who've been there would be greatly appreciated.If you go, get to the fields early. If you get there early enough, you get to see some MLB players workout. I got there early last year, and got to see Arroyo, Belisle, and Denorfia take batting practice on the practice fields. They have workouts there everyday. Take quite a few baseballs, because you can get all the autographs you want. Jay Bruce was signing for everybody last year.

After games, drive over to where the players leave. Some stop and sign if you get there before they leave. Edwin stopped for us last year.

UPRedsFan
01-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the tips!

gedred69
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
All good advice, I'll just add a thing or two. I love the opportunity to watch young guys/prospects, not only at Minor League games, but ST is a fantastic opportunity to see them being coached and instructed. I was watching former top prospect, BJ Syzmanski get hitting instruction a couple of years ago, and his attitude to what the coach was trying to tell him looked like he could be another un-coachable. I make no claim whatsoever to be any judge, but voila, he is now pretty much a bust. It was neat to see the next "Mickey Mantle" and wonder how far he wouldn't go. Stick around after the games and wander around to wherever you see action. You can learn some things, and when Doug posts his prospect polls next year, you may have something significant to add, other than just reading stat sheets.