PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

Dom Heffner
01-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I have a program on my computer called Spyware Detector that I cannot get rid of.

It ordinarily wouldn't be an issue, but I need the space and it keeps starting itself to tell me how much spywar I have in my computer.

I've tried deleting it, dropping it in the recycle bin, etc., but I get an error message when I do telling me I cannot do that.

Anybody know how to get rid of this stupid thing?

It's been on my computer for a few years, so a restore point won't work either.

Spring~Fields
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
A.) Add/Remove programs in the control panel
or
B.) Look for the program under programs and see if it has an uninstall
or
C.) Look in My Computer then to the drive that the program is installed on it such as C: and look in its folder to see if it has an uninstall in the folder
or
D.) Right click on the icon for it and see if it has preferences or options and if there is a delete or uninstall there.
or
If none of those common methods help you can delete it from the registry.

GAC
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
What SF says. That's about all you can do, other then formatting the computer.

And if you want a solid and very reliable spyware program Dom, may I suggest Webroot's Spy Sweeper. IMHO, it's one of the best.

TeamSelig
01-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Did you install this? Sometimes spyware will install a spyware remover that you cannot get rid of.

Dom Heffner
01-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the help. I have tried all of these except for deleting from the registry (I don't know how).

When I add/removed, I got an error telling me it could not be deleted with the error, "Could not read source file" or something like that.

I paid for and downloaded a few years back and it may be forcing me to keep it, but there has to be a way to get rid of this so it stops running a spyware report every day and then trys to get m to repurchase this piece of junk program.

Spring~Fields
01-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Research that programs site a bit and see if they have instructions to delete or uninstall it.

If you have that program still on your computer, meaning if you can reinstall it, it may add the missing files and then allow you to uninstall it completely. It should write over the old adding the missing files then allow you to uninstall properly.

For the registry edit or unintsall of it you go to RUN type in regedit.
On the tool bar in the registry you go to edit, then find, and type in the name of that program example "spyware", it will take you to each place that a part of that is in your registry. You can delete each portion that comes up.

I hesitate to suggest that to you because one can mess up there computer and might be coming back and saying thanks PAL, sigh, but for my computer, that is what I do when I cannot get rid of a program, I delete instances of it from the registry.

After that I go to microsoft live care to use their free cleanup that also goes through the registry to clean up invalid entries ect. other clutter on the computer elsewhere.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm

Someone else might want to give you more specific details about deleting it from the registry.

Dom Heffner
01-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks, SF. I went through the registry and deleted every trace of it. We'll see if that fixes it.

Spring~Fields
01-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks, SF. I went through the registry and deleted every trace of it. We'll see if that fixes it.

When you get time for the short download from live care, run it to clean out the pieces of it in the registry, it should find invalid entries for it now, and clean them on out.

I see you computer is still running, I can breath now. :) Shoo!

Just in case you have to restore any registry items for other programs that might have been effected. Here is a clear and conscise directive from Microsoft.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/article/registry_cleaner_why.htm

Jpup
01-27-2008, 04:45 AM
www.ccleaner.com

GAC
01-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Also going into Safe Mode may help you use the Add/Remove programs option in Control Panel. It has worked for me in the past.

Spring~Fields
01-27-2008, 03:51 PM
www.ccleaner.com

I like that thanks,
I downloaded and used it, it seemed to find quite a bit of unecessary "stuff".

The only question that came to mind was that after I used the ccleaner twice and then I went to the microsoft cleaner online and it found 101 invalid items after using ccleaner, not quite sure why that would be.

Jpup
01-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I like that thanks,
I downloaded and used it, it seemed to find quite a bit of unecessary "stuff".

The only question that came to mind was that after I used the ccleaner twice and then I went to the microsoft cleaner online and it found 101 invalid items after using ccleaner, not quite sure why that would be.

I don't know, but I have used ccleaner for years and I have absolutely zero issues with it. it does the job IMO.

GAC
01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Does this CCleaner basically do the same thing that Ace Utilities and Registry Mechanic does? I already have both.

Spring~Fields
01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Does this CCleaner basically do the same thing that Ace Utilities and Registry Mechanic does? I already have both.

Registry Mechanic is suppose to be pretty good, I don't know anything about Ace Utilities. CCleaner seems to be like Registry Mechanic. You would have to make that comparison. I like the CCleaner, works well. I think. ;)

Roy Tucker
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
In addition, this is a good tool for finding what gets autostarted on your system....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Russinovich and Cogswell do some good stuff.

westofyou
01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I spent $38 on this piece of software, best $38 I ever spent on software.

http://www.registry-clean.net/

Registry Clean Expert scans the Windows registry and finds incorrect or obsolete information in the registry. By fixing these obsolete information in Windows registry, your system will run faster and error free.

GAC
01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know anything about Ace Utilities.

What do you mean you don't know anything about Ace Utilities? I got it on your recommendation a couple years ago old man! :lol:

GAC
01-28-2008, 09:14 PM
I spent $38 on this piece of software, best $38 I ever spent on software.

http://www.registry-clean.net/

That's also what Registry Mechanic does also.

Spring~Fields
01-29-2008, 01:52 AM
What do you mean you don't know anything about Ace Utilities? I got it on your recommendation a couple years ago old man! :lol:

Greg you been having those mole nightmares and flashbacks again? :p:

I know that I am getting old but long term memory isn't one of my problems, yet. If you would have said last week it might have been a different story. :) You must have me mixed up with the cable guy or something.

Honestly, I never heard of Ace Utilities, sounds like something from a fictitious widget factory. Maybe it was on a list of stuff I sent you or something, registry mechanic sounds more like what I would have suggested.

GAC
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh well. Regardless. I really like Ace Utilities. It's simple and works very well. ;)

Dom Heffner
02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Springfield Fan, I can't thank you enough for the advice. Deleting it from the registry worked.

It still shows up on my desktop and I can't delete from there, but it doesn't turn on randomly anymore at all, which is all I care about.

Spring~Fields
02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Springfield Fan, I can't thank you enough for the advice. Deleting it from the registry worked.

It still shows up on my desktop and I can't delete from there, but it doesn't turn on randomly anymore at all, which is all I care about.

You're welcome, very glad it worked out.

I get nervous when I suggest to one that they go into their registry because it can reek havoc, so I am also relieved.

Can you right click on the icon that comes up on your desk top to just delete that short cut? I am assuming you mean a shortcut icon. There is probably a folder for that program also still under programs on C: drive to be deleted.

Try running one of those cleaners suggested, I think, not sure, that they would clean up the leftovers.