PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Bedard going to Mariners

Simms11
01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/01/bedardjones_deal_going_down.html

AmarilloRed
01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I think we all expected this. As soon as the Reds refused to trade Bruce, we were out of the running. I will be interested to see how much of their farm system Seattle give up, and whether or not they are able to sign him to a LTC.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
USA Today is reporting the same. They are saying Adam Jones is flying to Baltimore for a physical on Monday . "Jones said he's been told the deal is done...." http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=3449

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
What is the rest of the deal.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
What is the rest of the deal.

I went to the Orioles Hangout and Seattle Times and neither of those two know at this point for sure other than Adam Jones is the centerpiece. They are guessing it's a 4 for 1 trade.

AmarilloRed
01-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Expect the Orioles to demand the cream of the Mariners farm system: Adam Jones, Brandon Morrow, Chris Tillman, and Carlos Triunfel. There may be other names involved, but I would expect most if not all of these to be involved in the trade. We will see how my crystal ball is tomorrow.:fineprint

fewfirstchoice
01-27-2008, 10:23 PM
It really wished the Reds would have pulled a deal off for Bedard.They improved slightly this off season.The owner ship keeps saying they want to win now but doesnt do enough to prove it.I would have traded any 3 or 4 players not named Bruce for Bedard.When the Reds signed Cordero it made me smile and think they would do something(rather than sign a reliever to start for a team with only 2 starters)to win,like sign or trade for a legit 2 or 3 starter.I am really dissapointed the Reds didnt get a pitcher.I believe they could have put together better packages for Bedard and Haren without adding Bruce to the trade.This just shows me that Mr.Bob isnt ready to win just yet.So get ready to watch another team finish with 75 wins this year and no post season,again.But I really hope they prove me wrong.I would at least like to see them start 2 of Bailey,Volquez,or Cueto but thats not going to happen with Belisle still here.

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Baltimore wanted Bruce from reports and refused to talk about anything else unless it was pretty much every major league ready talent in our farm.

AmarilloRed
01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
There simply were were not any #2s available in free agency; maybe not any #3s either. Teams were asking for all of a team's best prospects in trade for quality starters. We did pull of a trade for a talented young pitching prospect, and signed Affeldt as insurance for the young kids. It may be that that was the best decision Krivsky could make; we will find out in a couple of years.

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I look at it this way, we chose to keep a future MVP talent guy in bruce, a future number 1 talent in Bailey, a future number 2 talent in Cueto and a future all star 1st base talent in Votto instead of adding 2 years of a pitcher coming off a year that really doesnt match his career numbers and has had injury problems already at age 29.

Degenerate39
01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I really wish the Reds could've gotten him. A rotation looking like this would be amazing:

Harang
Bedard
Arroyo
Belisle
Bailey

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I really wish the Reds could've gotten him. A rotation looking like this would be amazing:

Harang
Bedard
Arroyo
Belisle
Bailey

Odds are Bailey wouldnt be on this team if they got bedard

AmarilloRed
01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
MacPhail now denies that there is a trade: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-os0127,0,5598077.story

Bip Roberts
01-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Adam Jones must be a liar

Newman4
01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
mlbtraderumors update:

UPDATE, 1-27-08 at 8:45pm: A high-ranking Orioles official told the Baltimore Sun that a trade has not been completed. Meanwhile MLB.com's Jim Street believes the Ms will send Jones, Sherrill, Chris Tillman, and a minor leaguer for Bedard.

All I can figure is that the O's have serious man love for Jones. Votto, Stubbs, Burton/Bray would be a better deal for the O's IMO. Not that it was offered, but the first rumors of Bailey/Cueto AND Votto + would be significantly better.

Newman4
01-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Update to the update:

UPDATE, 1-27-08 at 9:32pm: No deal, says Andy MacPhail. He also denies that Jones is headed to Baltimore for a physical. This Baltimore Sun link also has quotes from Jones, which kind of started the whole thing. Someone must've said something to him.

DTCromer
01-27-2008, 11:41 PM
What I find comical from Reds fans (not necessarily on this board) is that we'd be making a mistake by not trading Bruce for Bedard. From the fans who are always complaining of not bringing up homegrown talent, pitching talent at that, it's funny we want to trade what commodities we have.

I for one am glad the Reds have stood pat with Bruce.

BTW, the orioles would be stupid to do that deal. Maybe I'm just biased, but I thought our deal was much more lucrative than what BMore is reportedly offering.

fewfirstchoice
01-28-2008, 02:20 AM
I to am glad the Reds didnt trade Bruce.But all Im saying is that the Reds could have put together a better package for Bedard without giving up Bruce if teh Os only got whats being reported.The Reds would have only had to give up one of there top pitcher prospects and only one of EE or Votto to trump the deal they are gettin from the Mariners.Say Bailey or Cueto,Votto or EE,Keppinger,Stubbs,and Valakia(sp) that would ahve been a better deal than what they got from the Ms without having to give up the whole farm system.So I say if the Os said Bruce or No deal I agree no deal,but I dont think they said that.So I think the Reds could ahve got him for a deal close to what I proposed and not gave up everything.But you got to give up something to get something.I guess will just be watching the Red Sox, DBacks, Yanks, and Dodgers in another post season without the Reds.Our FO just has no ideal how to make a club good enough to get to the playoffs.Heres to another fib from Mr.Bob,thanks for getting my hopes up BOB.

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Every Mariner fan right now is crying about how they gave up way too much to get Bedard, so you would be ok with over paying even more than they did?

kbrake
01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
fewfirstchoice- do you talk to someone the rest of us do not? I dont understand what your so worked up about. Every report that has came out about Bedard has said the O's wanted Bruce for him. Krivsky cant force a team to make the trade he wants, this was not being done on playstation.

Would you have really traded Bailey, Edwin, and prospects (plural) for a guy who has had injuries and with no sure way of knowing if you would ever be able to sign him for more than the two years you already have him for? You can make the playoffs for one year or you can try and set up a long run of success by holding onto your young talent. Can't believe I am defending Krivsky this much on anything, but he did the right thing with Erik Bedard.

smoke6
01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
IMO, we should all be very happy he's not coming here. We'd have given up too much.

Hey Meat
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Looks like a good non-move at this point. I still hope we can iron out a fifth starter so that we don't have to put Affeldt in the rotation and can use him out of the pen.

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
mlbtraderumors update:

UPDATE, 1-27-08 at 8:45pm: A high-ranking Orioles official told the Baltimore Sun that a trade has not been completed. Meanwhile MLB.com's Jim Street believes the Ms will send Jones, Sherrill, Chris Tillman, and a minor leaguer for Bedard.

All I can figure is that the O's have serious man love for Jones. Votto, Stubbs, Burton/Bray would be a better deal for the O's IMO. Not that it was offered, but the first rumors of Bailey/Cueto AND Votto + would be significantly better.

I saw this part mentioned over at the ORG as well.

My question would be - how MUCH bigger is Bruce and a Bailey/Cueto than Jones, Sherrill and Tillman?!?! IMO, it's WAY BIG, meaning we could have topped that, possilby even without Bruce.

Did the O's not even consider Hamilton? They obviuosly wanted a ML ready OF-er.
Hamilton, Cueto, and Fodder beats that Mariners offer hands-down IMO, but I don't know much about Tillman...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
This is Baltimore we are talking about here. They probably wanted Bruce, Bailey, Edwin and Burton.

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
This is Baltimore we are talking about here. They probably wanted Bruce, Bailey, Edwin and Burton.

Possibly, but they aren't getting ANYTHING near that from the M's. From my quick research, Tillman has pitched 20 games in A+ ball, with a 5.26 ERA and a 1.56 WHIP. Sherril is a good closer, but you don't trade your #1 SP for a CFer and closer and call it a coup.

I'm sure some of the M's are crying - mostly for giving up 2/3rds of their OF - but we had OF-ers to spare (at least before we traded Hamilton).

Reading the ORG, you'd find a lot more people agree that we are foolish for spending $45M on a closer, and going into 2008 with even more question marks in the rotation than in 2007.

I'll still contend that we are wasting a possibly golden window of a fairly probable opportunity to compete, seriously, in 2008 and 2009 versus waiting for what could POTENTIALLY be a very bright future of young arms developing.

If I had Dunn under a LTC, and could read into the Crystal Ball that is KGJ's future/replacement, I'd feel a little better. We also "only" have Harang and Arroyo through 2011.

I'll still be rooting for everything to fall in place, as per already has been speculated, we need a 2006 Detroit redux, with Affeldt playing the role of Kenny Rogers...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Degenerate39
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM

That's pretty excessive for Bedard. The Mariners didn't give up near as much for Bedard

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Im not doubting that we could have matched and beaten their offer I'm just saying that Baltimore is ran by idiots.

Lets not get into the rotation talk because we know where that ends. :)

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Im not doubting that we could have matched and beaten their offer I'm just saying that Baltimore is ran by idiots.

I'll agree with that. I won't be one bit surprised to see McPhail nix this deal in the 11th hour.

Lets not get into the rotation talk because we know where that ends. :)

Agreed!! :thumbup:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Id like to add that the Reds did everything within reason this off season to improve the team.

Id like to have had Bedard but I think Wayne did the right thing here. If Wayne could have beaten that offer with out giving up Bruce I think he would have.

AmarilloRed
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
I’m being told by three different sources that the trade is as close to being done as it can get without an actual deal. May just be a matter of dotting some i’s and crossing some t’s.

What I am getting is that it’s Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Tony Butler and Kameron Mickolio going to Baltimore.

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/27/jones-bedard-deal-99-percent-done/

Tillman and Jones seem to be the only prospects of note. George Sherril is also a good reliever. It looks like Baltimore blinked on this one, as I am sure we could have topped the Mariners offer before trading Hamilton.

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Id like to add that the Reds did everything within reason this off season to improve the team.

That's where we differ. If "within reason" means the best we could do to add a veteran starter was to get Jeremy Affeldt, then we failed miserably.

Id like to have had Bedard but I think Wayne did the right thing here. If Wayne could have beaten that offer with out giving up Bruce I think he would have.

That's just speculation - but as you duly noted, speculation on possibly the WORST FO in all of baseball in the Orioles.

I do think that Wayne pulling the trigger so quickly on Hamilton was a knee-jerk reaction to McPhail asking and not getting off of Bruce. He could have waited and possibly dealt Hamilton to the O's in a package, especially when it was apparent that they wanted an OF-er.

Of course that's just speculation on my part.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Z-Fly
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
That's where we differ. If "within reason" means the best we could do to add a veteran starter was to get Jeremy Affeldt, then we failed miserably.

Who did you want them to go out and get? I don't think there were many good options out there.

AmarilloRed
01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
It looks like the Mariners were determined to get a top outfield prospect for Bedard, and they did that. Once the Reds refused to trade Jay Bruce, I doubt we could have gotten Bedard. I am not sure that Hamilton could have been done, and I expect Krivsky tried. The Hamilton trade seems to indicate that it was not possible to trade Hamilton for Bedard.

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

That's just speculation - but as you duly noted, speculation on possibly the WORST FO in all of baseball in the Orioles.

I do think that Wayne pulling the trigger so quickly on Hamilton was a knee-jerk reaction to McPhail asking and not getting off of Bruce. He could have waited and possibly dealt Hamilton to the O's in a package, especially when it was apparent that they wanted an OF-er.

Of course that's just speculation on my part.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I trust that Wayne tried to get Bedard and the offer just wasnt going to work with Hamilton being involved. If Wayne thought there was a chance of getting Bedard in a deal involving Hamilton I really doubt he would have traded for Volquez.

Now on the starter front I fail to see any veteran starters out there that are quality enough to get. Through trades maybe if we over paid but through free agency the options were very bad and very risky. I personally think Affeldt quite possibly was the best option over Livan, Leiber, Tomko and Colon considering hes younger, had no injuries and is coming off a decent year.

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
from ESPN:

Orioles owner Peter Angelos hasn't yet signed off on the proposed deal that would send Erik Bedard to Seattle, according to a source familiar with the Orioles' internal discussions.

The same source also indicated that Angelos wasn't informed of the particulars of this latest proposal until late Sunday and that he won't be available Monday to confer with the Orioles' baseball officials because of a personal matter.

Given Angelos' long history of vetoing trades, one baseball man who has dealt extensively with Angelos predicted that "this could get more interesting as it goes along" if Angelos has yet to approve this deal.

Indications are that the trade is still likely to happen, given the abrupt departure of its centerpiece, Mariners outfielder Adam Jones, from winter ball. But the source confirmed a Baltimore Sun report that Jones isn't currently scheduled to fly to Baltimore for a physical

Looks like this deal may not go through as smoothly as indicated. Angelos is a tool.

Also, from the Org thread, the Cubs have said to have two MAJOR deals on the table. One is more than likely Roberts; the second?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 06:28 PM
interesting take/read from the ORG on this:

Well, it's hard to know what to think about this until we know the full details of the deal. Yet let's use the current best rumor, supposedly confirmed:

Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Tony Butler and Kameron Mickolio for Erik Bedard.

The first reaction I think everyone ought to have is that the Mariners are making out like bandits on the deal. Frankly, if that's all it took to get Bedard, there two dozen teams that should be having a "Wow! I coulda had a Bedard!" headslap moment.

So let's now narrow that to the Reds, who reportedly spent some time after Bedard this winter. Why didn't they beat that seemingly beatable offer?

1. Timing

Perhaps the Orioles went from impossible to pliable and pulled the trigger before the Reds had a chance to counter. The Orioles front office has long been in need of a drool cup and this might be further evidence. They might have decided to settle with the Mariners and simply not bothered to shop the offer. If so, the Reds may have been blindsided by the move.

The other timing possibility is maybe the Orioles went back to the Reds, but subsequent moves, notably the deals for Volquez and Affeldt, dulled the Reds' interest. Now, I'd violently disagree with the Reds if that was the case and I really hope it isn't.

2. Salesmanship

We could spend all day listing ways the Reds could have beaten that Mariners offer. Yet maybe Bavasi did a masterful job of selling. Maybe he made the Mariners think Adam Jones is a sure-fire superstar (not really a hard sell as he is a fine prospect). Maybe he made them see shades of Buddy Groom in George Sherrill. Maybe Tillman and Butler went from struggling kid arms to high octane killers in the minds of the Orioles. Maybe Mickolio became a gigantic closer. If the Orioles made this deal, then Bavasi clearly did some rainmaker work.

On the flip side, maybe Krivsky somehow managed not to be able to sell fire and Goretex to eskimos. It doesn't really matter if you've got exactly what the other team needs if you can't make the deal. Maybe Krivsky misread MacPhail or maybe MacPhail needed a pitch he didn't hear from Krivsky.

3. Suspects

We spend a lot of around here talking about how much better the Reds minors look than they did a few years back, but, as has also been noted, perhaps the Reds don't yet have a brand name which instills any confidence in prospective buyers.

Maybe the Orioles insisted on Bruce because they didn't have any confidence in the Reds' other offerings. Maybe the O's had limited interest in Bailey and Cueto. Maybe they're not sold on Votto. Maybe they don't think Stubbs can make enough contact and that Francisco will ever take enough pitches. Maybe secondary arms like Roenicke and Maloney do nothing for them.

It goes back to princeton's Yugo factory analogy. Yeah, maybe this is a brand new car, but do you want to be the first person on the block to trade in your Lexus for a fleet of new Yugos?

I can see where other teams might have deep reservations about putting too much stock in the Reds' rebuilt farm system.

that was my impression too - THAT'S ALL IT TOOK!??!! Hamilton/Cueto and fodder blow this offer away. I would have had at least SOME reservations on giving up Bailey or Votto, but I would have lived with it. I think winning a Division would have also enticed Bedard to sign an extension - as has been reported, he's really only quoted as having said "he didn't want to sign with a team that's REBUILDING" - e.g. he'd extend with a winner/contender.

I don't get it.

I'm going to go with the Yugo salesman trying to peddle Lexus' for the first time analogy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I personally think Affeldt quite possibly was the best option over Livan, Leiber, Tomko and Colon considering hes younger, had no injuries and is coming off a decent year.

I'll agree with that, ableit his decent year was in the pen. He's still a risk to even MAKE it as a starter, and $3M is a lot to pay if all he ends up being is a closer - unless we DFA Stanton...

I'll be praying he adds a third pitch and can contribute in the rotation. I guess we'll never know how Livan or Lieber would have fared in our roster.

I'll also still be waiting to see what, if anything, we add during ST, when other teams start firming up their rotations and have some other motives to move guys, along with us seeing who's winning/losing jobs - Freel, Hopper, etc could be moved if Bruce solidifies himself, e.g.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
I'll agree with that, ableit his decent year was in the pen. He's still a risk to even MAKE it as a starter, and $3M is a lot to pay if all he ends up being is a closer - unless we DFA Stanton...

I'll be praying he adds a third pitch and can contribute in the rotation. I guess we'll never know how Livan or Lieber would have fared in our roster.

I'll also still be waiting to see what, if anything, we add during ST, when other teams start firming up their rotations and have some other motives to move guys, along with us seeing who's winning/losing jobs - Freel, Hopper, etc could be moved if Bruce solidifies himself, e.g.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

3 million for a guy who will bring more to this team than the other options out there mind you.

I for one dont feel comfortable giving Jon Leiber 4 million when I can give a 28 year old lefty 3.

The price tag is 3 million for 1 year. Even if its a flop its only 1 year and less of a risk than the other options.

NeilHamburger
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Baltimore is reportedly in fire sale mode, and most of the veterans are available. Huff or Millar could be had for little, and either could make a decent right-handed bat to go with Votto, or a decent bat with power for the bench. If the Reds would be willing to take on some salary either might not be bad.

*BaseClogger*
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Baltimore is reportedly in fire sale mode, and most of the veterans are available. Huff or Millar could be had for little, and either could make a decent right-handed bat to go with Votto, or a decent bat with power for the bench. If the Reds would be willing to take on some salary either might not be bad.

Pillage the Orioles roster! :beerme:

BLEEDS
01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Nobody saw this coming:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7726024/Sources:-M's-deal-for-Bedard-on-hold?MSNHPHMA

As usual with the Orioles, confusion reigns.

The Mariners' quest to land Orioles left-hander Erik Bedard is on hold and possibly off due to the involvement of O's owner Peter Angelos, according to major-league sources.
Other sources, however, indicate that Angelos is playing a minimal role, and attribute the delay to a variety of unspecified circumstances.

The reasons for Angelos' hesitation if he is indeed hesitating are unclear. But theories abound

Angelos prefers to sign Bedard to a contract extension. The owner, according to one source, was under the impression from Andy MacPhail, his president of baseball operations, that Bedard was unwilling to consider such a deal. But Angelos, the source says, recently learned through back channels that the pitcher would entertain an offer if the Orioles were willing to extend him at least five years.

The Orioles are angry with the Mariners for allowing the trade talks to go public. Outfielder Adam Jones, the centerpiece of the M's offer, blurted to reporters in Venezuela that he was headed to Baltimore for a physical, indicating that a deal was near. The Orioles are so furious, another source says, they again might be insisting that the Mariners include 17-year-old shortstop Carlos Triunfel in the deal.

Angelos isn't satisfied with the Mariners' offer. Besides Jones, the Orioles would receive left-handed reliever George Sherrill, minor-league right-hander Chris Tillman and possibly minor-league left-hander Tony Butler and another prospect. Most in baseball would view such a return as significant, but Angelos has squashed deals in the past when he received negative information on a player.
Whatever the reasons for the holdup, the Bedard talks amount to a litmus test for the authority of MacPhail, who was hired last summer with the understanding that he would operate with autonomy over baseball operations. Angelos has a history of interfering with his front office over personnel moves and sparring with his top baseball executives.

On Monday, MacPhail denied that a deal with Seattle was in place.

"There really is no change. We are still having discussions, but we don't have an agreement," MacPhail said.

Asked by The Baltimore Sun whether Angelos' support for him has changed, MacPhail responded, "Not that I'm aware of."

According to The Seattle Times, Jones was headed to Baltimore for a physical on Sunday. But, according to The Sun, those plans changed, indicating that the deal was on hold.

"(Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi) called me yesterday and told me the news," Jones told a reporter from Diario Panorama in Venezuela on Sunday, according to The Times. "I've got to go to Baltimore tomorrow morning and handle things there. I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners' side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is."

Jones was called up by the Mariners last August. He hit .246 with two home runs in 65 at-bats. He's expected to compete for a starting job in Seattle's outfield this spring.

The Orioles' trade of Bedard would signal a major reconstruction. Another significant deal involving second baseman Brian Roberts likely would follow. The Cubs remain heavily interested in Roberts, and the Orioles could receive prospects such as pitcher Sean Gallagher and outfielder Felix Pie or veterans such as RHP Jason Marquis and outfielder Matt Murton.

Earlier this offseason, the Orioles traded shortstop Miguel Tejada to the Astros for five younger players.

Bip Roberts
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
As if there was any doubt that Baltimore is worthless

AmarilloRed
01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
This might explain why the deal is being held up:

Hello again.

I've been in meetings most of the day and have an interview at 5 p.m. -- not for a new job, so don't get your hopes up. But I wanted to address the rumor (because it's what I do these days) that Adam Jones has a degenerative hip condition and that's why the Erik Bedard trade hit a snag.

All I can say about the topic is that the Orioles became concerned with something related to Jones, and the fact that they wanted to bring him in for a physical before alerting Bedard's agent that a trade agreement was reached should send off signals. But we've heard nothing up to this point about his hip.

Maybe this will prove true later. We'll find out soon enough. But nobody at The Sun would go on a radio show and blurt out this kind of information without being absolutely positive (and obviously reporting it in the paper first). That's dangerous territory, especially when you're possibly affecting a young athlete's reputation and future earnings.

For the sake of Jones, I hope it's false. For the sake of the person who said it, it better be right.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2008/01/quick_comment_on_jones.html

A degenerative hip condition is something for a team to worry about. It is simply a rumor at this point, but it could be a very good reason why the deal has not happened yet.

Bip Roberts
01-30-2008, 03:10 AM
Baltimore is in for a surprise soon.

Unless Baltimore and the Yankees get involved they have successfully pissed off every trading partner out there.

kaldaniels
01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
ESPN Radio Sportscenter mentioned today that with the holdup on the Ms/Os trade, some other teams are getting into the picture. FWIW.

Bip Roberts
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
UPDATE, 1-30-08 at 5:19pm: MLB.com's Jim Street says a last-ditch attempt by the Orioles to sign Bedard to a five-year contract is holding up the trade. Street says Bedard's agent told Andy MacPhail it would take seven years and $100MM, however. Street touches on the Jones degenerative hip thing, indicating that the Orioles heard this but it turned out to be unsubstantiated.

:bowrofl: