PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Nats to release Felipe Lopez

jmcclain19
01-28-2008, 01:52 PM
John Perratto of Baseball Prospectus floats this rumor which should make for fun Redszone conversation.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7079

...There is a strong chance Washington will release infielder Felipe Lopez before contracts become guaranteed in late March as he is asking for $5.2 million in arbitration and the Nationals are offering $4.9 million even though he figures to be the backup to second baseman Ronnie Belliard and shortstop Cristian Guzman …

redsfan30
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Releasing over a $300,000 difference?? Makes no sense to me.

There is no way he's worth anywhere near $5 million, but if you're willing to give him $4.9 million to be a backup, what's another $300,000?

Chip R
01-28-2008, 01:56 PM

There is no way he's worth anywhere near $5 million, but if you're willing to give him $4.9 million to be a backup, what's another $300,000?

Maybe they aren't willing to give him $4.9M. But, really, do you actually believe JimBo would get rid of a former Red? ;)

pedro
01-28-2008, 01:57 PM

They probably don't even want him at 4.9. I think they are trying to create a lack of disparity in his arb numbers in the hopes that they can trade him.

KoryMac5
01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
They probably don't even want him at 4.9. I think they are trying to create a lack of disparity in his arb numbers in the hopes that they can trade him.

I would agree with that assessment based on the fact that Lopez still has value. He definitely could be flipped for a prospect.

pedro
01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I would agree with that assessment based on the fact that Lopez still has value. He definitely could be flipped for a prospect.

Still, I think they're going to end up having to cut him. I don't think anyone is going to trade for that contract and give up prospects.

Team Clark
01-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Still, I think they're going to end up having to cut him. I don't think anyone is going to trade for that contract and give up prospects.

100% agree. Bowden is probably enrolled in a 12 step "you can let ex-Reds go" program. Lopez is his first trial.

BCubb2003
01-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Trade Majewski for him?

rotnoid
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Exactly. Even if the Nats throw in cash, nobody's making that deal.

BuckeyeRedleg
01-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Losing Felipe was the main reason that I hated "The Trade".

I am here to admit I was wrong. I really thought Felipe was going to be a star.

My bad.

Jpup
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM

My bad.

Austin Kearns if still awfully good and the Reds could use him if Jr. was out of town soon.

edabbs44
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM

My bad.

You never know what could have or would have happen if the deal wasn't made. Just because he has been a stiff for Washington doesn't mean the same would have happened in Cincy.

TRF
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
FeLo had a bad year. He was moved to 2B, back to SS, back to 2B. He never got it going at the plate, and his SB's were down from the year before. I'd take him at 2B if Phillips were moved over to SS. I'd especially do it if the Reds could trade AGon to a team in Florida. I understand the Marlins have some extra SP's.

princeton
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
You never know what could have or would have happen if the deal wasn't made. Just because he has been a stiff for Washington doesn't mean the same would have happened in Cincy.

:rolleyes:

edabbs44
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
:rolleyes:

So it 100% would have?

lollipopcurve
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM

I was wrong too -- though I don't know if I thought he'd be a star.

If Felipe could accept the idea, I think he could have a decent career as a utility guy -- switch hitter who can play around the infield, maybe even a little OF. Not sure he'd cotton to it, though....

princeton
01-28-2008, 03:04 PM
So it 100% would have?

it's just a really weak point. the converse would be to say that maybe Majewski's arm blew out when he was traveling to Cincy after the trade, and maybe he'd have been 100% healthy and really pitched well in the absence of the deal.

what you have is how both actually performed. Two bad players. FeLo cost more money.

I like FeLo as a supersub, for a low price.

jmcclain19
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
The main reason I can see this happening is the Nats also will have Dmitri Young & Nick Johnson, who play the same position, both making over $5mil. For a smaller payroll team, I'm sure they cant stomach having two infield backups making a combined $10 mil.

KronoRed
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Trade Majewski for him?

I'd rather the Reds release Majewski at the same time

edabbs44
01-28-2008, 03:30 PM
it's just a really weak point. the converse would be to say that maybe Majewski's arm blew out when he was traveling to Cincy after the trade, and maybe he'd have been 100% healthy and really pitched well in the absence of the deal.

what you have is how both actually performed. Two bad players. FeLo cost more money.

I like FeLo as a supersub, for a low price.

I know it is a completely different level, but the same happened with Randy Moss this season.

traderumor
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM

I like FeLo as a supersub, for a low price.Agreed. A switch hitter who can play ss/2b/3b would be a great bench addition for any team, and a very capable short-term 15 day DL backup.

RFS62
01-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

I know it is a completely different level, but the same happened with Randy Moss this season.

You can't possibly be comparing Felo to Randy Moss, talent wise, can you?

edabbs44
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
You can't possibly be comparing Felo to Randy Moss, talent wise, can you?

As I said...on a completely different level.

They are both human. That is all that is needed to be in common in this instance. Just because Moss is freaklishly talented doesn't mean the environment is allowed to affect him more than it affects the peasants.

Patrick Bateman
01-28-2008, 04:00 PM

So they don't lose the arbitration case. If they offer a reasonable salary like 2M, then they are guaranteed to lose. It's nearly impossible to go backwards in salary through arbitration. They have to offer a decent sum of money in hopes of winning the case and keeping Lopez from getting what he wants.

But you can bet he gets non-tendered.

Chip R
01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
So they don't lose the arbitration case. If they offer a reasonable salary like 2M, then they are guaranteed to lose. It's nearly impossible to go backwards in salary through arbitration. They have to offer a decent sum of money in hopes of winning the case and keeping Lopez from getting what he wants.

But you can bet he gets non-tendered.

The most you can cut a guy's salary is 20%. He made $3.9M last year so the very least the Nats could offer him would be $3.12M. The alternative, of course, is non-tendering him and paying him nothing.

Matt700wlw
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
I would have no issue bringing back Lopez to be a bench guy here...I'd even make him Gonzo's backup...

Whatever it takes to see the last of Juan Castro

westofyou
01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I would have no issue bringing back Lopez to be a bench guy here...I'd even make him Gonzo's backup...

Whatever it takes to see the last of Juan Castro

2 years ago he had his own bobblehead night... of course it was the first night they didn't play him all season.

Talk about telegraphing a message.

Pass.

WMR
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
I'd love to dump Gonzo for pitching, shift Phillips to short, and play FeLo at 2nd.

But then again, that's what I wanted from the beginning, before he was jettisoned.

reds44
01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Players I would definatley take a chance on for 500, Alex.

Not sure if Krivsky would do it, though.

What exactly is the downside?

Patrick Bateman
01-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd love to dump Gonzo for pitching, shift Phillips to short, and play FeLo at 2nd.

But then again, that's what I wanted from the beginning, before he was jettisoned.

Why would you do that now? You dramatically decrease the fielding ability (at this point Phillips likely projects to be at the very best an average defender at SS, and Phillips>>>>>>>Lopez at 2nd), meanwhile, with Lopez' recent struggles, there is a pretty darned good chance that you will get a worse hitter in the mix too.

Lopez may have been in RFK last season, but he still stunk by those standards. The likes of Guzman/Belliard outhit him last year (by a long shot). Lopez has some serious ability issues right now to the point where Gonzalez is far better in all areas.

reds44
01-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Why would you do that? The last two years Gonzalez has been better offensively and defensively.

Sign Lopez as a switch hitting infielder with the ability to play 3 positions. If he works his was back into the lineup, then sweet.

pedro
01-28-2008, 04:54 PM

I don't think the possible gains in offense would be worth the negative effect of defense.

Either way Lopez will never be a Red again. They dumped him once because they apparently didn't want him, I can't see them changing their minds about that now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lopez on the A's next year.

Roy Tucker
01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Why would you do that? The last two years Gonzalez has been better offensively and defensively.

Sign Lopez as a switch hitting infielder with the ability to play 3 positions. If he works his was back into the lineup, then sweet.

One problem is that he can't play SS. At least not at a MLB-competent level.

reds44
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
He can do it in a part time role, just not as a full time. He's not any worse then Keppinger at SS.

Signing Lopez would make Freel very expendable too, IMO.

princeton
01-28-2008, 05:03 PM

best position is third base, though I wouldn't be surprised if he became a pretty good OFer if he kicks around long enough.

Chip R
01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Players I would definatley take a chance on for 500, Alex.

$500K, sure.

TRF
01-28-2008, 05:15 PM

I think he'd be a fine 2B. princeton likes him at 3B.

My point is: was 2007 an aberration? I think so. 2006 was a really good year for him. 2005 showed some pop. I'm not sure FeLo KNOWS what kind of player he is, but he's got a lot of talent.

Just not at SS.

WMR
01-28-2008, 05:37 PM
I guess I disagree with the majority.

I think FeLo would be a fine defensive 2B and Phillips, ideally, would have been at SS from the beginning.

This roster needs the exact type of bat that FeLo provides. He had one bad year. I'll take the longer view when judging his future as a player in MLB.

TRF
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM

I think FeLo would be a fine defensive 2B and Phillips, ideally, would have been at SS from the beginning.

This roster needs the exact type of bat that FeLo provides.

We are in the minority. I wanted the same thing.

We should get shirts made.

WMR
01-28-2008, 05:40 PM
We are in the minority. I wanted the same thing.

We should get shirts made.

:laugh:

Cheers, buddy. I'm down.

westofyou
01-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I think FeLo would be a fine defensive 2B

And yet he lost that job to the older Ron Belliard.

Faster then you could say Phil Plantier, Willie Green, Chris Brown, Tracy Jones or Fernando Tatis.... POOF... it could all be gone.

pedro
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM

This roster needs the exact type of bat that FeLo provides. He had one bad year. I'll take the longer view when judging his future as a player in MLB.

Actually he's only had one good year and he's horrible going to his right, which is not a good thing for a second baseman.

Seriously, if he was able to cut it don't you think he'd have stuck in Toronto, Washington or Cincinnati? It's not like any of those franchises are teaming with talent.

WMR
01-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Look at how he got jerked around last year in Washington.

I would posit he has been playing out of position his entire career.

I would love to see his stat line over an entire season penciled in at 2nd base.

pedro
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM

I would love to see his stat line over an entire season penciled in at 2nd base.

excuses, excuses. he's had one good offensive year his entire 6 year career and he's a lousy fielder with poor baseball instincts.

next.

WMR
01-28-2008, 05:55 PM
excuses, excuses. he's had one good offensive year his entire 6 year career and he's a lousy fielder with poor baseball instincts.

next.

Wholeheartedly disagree.

TRF
01-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Actually didn't he shift back to short due to an injury to Guzman? WMR has it right that he was jerked around alot.

2005 was a great year for FeLo. 2006 was an interesting one in that his power dipped. a lot, but his OBP didn't and his SB's tripled. 2007 saw a 50 point drop in his OBP. that is an aberration. period.

pedro
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Wholeheartedly disagree.

I don't know who you're talking about (actually i do, it's the guy
who had the career year in 2005) But obviously you aren't talking about the guy he's been every other year.

2007 Season Stats
SPLIT G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BA OBP SLG

Career 730 2720 384 702 131 25 65 288 101 .258 .328 .396

IslandRed
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
He can do it in a part time role, just not as a full time. He's not any worse then Keppinger at SS.

The question, though, is whether Lopez would be an upgrade to Keppinger in any meaningful way for that infield-supersub role, especially given that he would cost more money. I have my doubts. Lopez once was better, in 2005 (as Pedro mentioned, he's really only had one good offensive season). But last year's version of Lopez didn't deserve to be on a major-league roster. His bat was anemic and he's not an asset defensively no matter where you put him. Keppinger's no All-Star but he seems just as well suited to the role.

Always Red
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM

I respectfully disagree, and agree with Pedro. If FeLo were that good, you think someone would have figured it out by now. Toronto, Cincinnati and Washington are teams that need good ballplayers. They all need someone to step up. FeLo had an excellent half year with the bat, and played a subpar SS while doing it.

Lopez is not a victim; no one is out to get him. No one has jerked him around his entire career, or even last year in Washington. The Nats had need for him to move, for the good of the team, and he wasn't up to it.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat to be a back-up IF-OF. His problem is he wants to get paid, and he hasn't shown enough value to deserve 5 million a year. That's just simple math, IMHO.

reds44
01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Actually didn't he shift back to short due to an injury to Guzman? WMR has it right that he was jerked around alot.

2005 was a great year for FeLo. 2006 was an interesting one in that his power dipped. a lot, but his OBP didn't and his SB's tripled. 2007 saw a 50 point drop in his OBP. that is an aberration. period.
Agreed. Definatley in the boat with TRF and Wily Mo on this one.

Lopez had the all-star year of 2005, posting a .291/.352/.486 with 23 homers and 65 RBIs with 15 stolen bases. In 2006 his slugging went way down to .381 total (.365 with Washington) but he had a .358 OBP with 44 stolen bases. Those were both good offensive seasons.

And for the record Lopez played 111 games and SS last year, and 44 at 2B.

pedro
01-28-2008, 06:07 PM
You guys still waiting for Brady Anderson to hit 50 HR again? ;)

Cedric
01-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Lopez shouldn't be anything but a corner outfielder. Therefore you ask yourself if he has anywhere near the numbers to contribute there everyday? No. He is most likely done and it's not shocking.

TRF
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
You guys still waiting for Brady Anderson to hit 50 HR again? ;)

Nope. don't care about FeLo's power. He's got decent OB skills, and good base stealing instincts. He's got a little pop in his bat, but not much. I still think he's a fine player, but he needs to realize SS is not his position. 2B or 3B yes. But I still like his offense.

Roy Tucker
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I can only go on the tenure he had here in Cincinnati at SS. He was pretty miserable defensively. Lousy jump on the ball and bad hands when he got to it.

I think he actually declined as a defensive player while here. I don't see those skills (or lack thereof) helping him for a move to 2B or 3B. I liked his stick and speed on the basepaths. I also liked how he dragged himself out of a pretty bad slump when he first got here and thought he showed character. But if its Keppenger or FeLo, then it's Keppenger.

princeton
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I can only go on the tenure he had here in Cincinnati at SS. He was pretty miserable defensively. Lousy jump on the ball and bad hands when he got to it.

I think he actually declined as a defensive player while here. I don't see those skills (or lack thereof) helping him for a move to 2B or 3B.

I think that you're right about second base. However, I do recall some games at third base in which he looked surprisingly good.

years ago, I suggested CF for him and it wouldn't shock me if he learned to play well there. But he'd need a lot of time.

mth123
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I think that you're right about second base. However, I do recall some games at third base in which he looked surprisingly good.

years ago, I suggested CF for him and it wouldn't shock me if he learned to play well there. But he'd need a lot of time.

I think CF is an option as well. So much so that I'd sign him if he is non tendered for a Freel type role. Even though he isn't a good SS, he could still play there in a pinch, probably as well as Keppinger can. The Reds middle IF is RH and a switch hitter who is better from the left side is a logical back-up IMO. In the mean time he can learn OF on the job. Keppinger can settle in as the RH 1B.

bucksfan2
01-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I would be all over giving Felipe a shot again, just not at SS. The guy at GABP can be a good hitter from both sides of the plate and is a stolen base threat. You could do a whole lot worse that Felipe as the 24th or 25th man on the team.

remdog
01-30-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd be willing to sign Lopez for a bench role. H could probably fill a multitude of spots and the switch-hitting bat would be nice to have.

Plus, with Josh Hamilton gone, Felipe would be the tats leader in the clubhouse. :)

Rem

reds44
01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
The question, though, is whether Lopez would be an upgrade to Keppinger in any meaningful way for that infield-supersub role, especially given that he would cost more money. I have my doubts. Lopez once was better, in 2005 (as Pedro mentioned, he's really only had one good offensive season). But last year's version of Lopez didn't deserve to be on a major-league roster. His bat was anemic and he's not an asset defensively no matter where you put him. Keppinger's no All-Star but he seems just as well suited to the role.
With reports already that Kepinger will see time at first base vs. lefties, I don't think Lopez would be "replacing" Keppinger by any means. The question would be is Lopez an upgrade over Freel or Castro as the other IF backup. Lets assume the Reds will go with 13 position players, and 12 pitchers.

1. Dunn
2. Griffey
3. Phillips
4. Edwin
5. Gonzalez
6. Votto
7. Ross
8. Valentin
9. Hatteberg
10. Keppinger
11. Hopper (I think he'll be on it one way or another)

Considering the fact both Votto and Keppinger can play the OF in a pinch, that leaves room for 1 infielder and 1 outfielder.

Right now the Reds have:
Bruce
Freel
Dickerson
Anderson
Castro
Janish
Hanigan
Tatum

on the 40 man roster. With the way the roster is currently constructed, I would hope it would be Bruce as the starting CFer and Freel as the UTIL man. Add in Lopez in the mix, and he battles it out with Freel for the last spot on the roster. Add Brian Anderson and Lopez in the mix, and spring training becomes a whole lot more fun.

All of this depends on what Felipe would be asking for. If he is asking for anything more then a 1 year contract, I say no. If he is asking for like 5 mil, I would say no. However if the Reds could get him at 1 year for 2-3 mil. it would be something I jump all over in a heatbeat.

IslandRed
01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
With reports already that Kepinger will see time at first base vs. lefties, I don't think Lopez would be "replacing" Keppinger by any means. The question would be is Lopez an upgrade over Freel or Castro as the other IF backup. ... Add in Lopez in the mix, and he battles it out with Freel for the last spot on the roster. ... However if the Reds could get him at 1 year for 2-3 mil. it would be something I jump all over in a heatbeat.

OK, let me preface this by saying that it's all based on the roster as currently constituted, and the dynamics may well change completely.

As long as both Votto and Hatteberg are on the team, Keppinger's only going to start at 1B against the occasional lefty-killing southpaw. It's not a full-time role or anything remotely close to it, and it shouldn't impact his ability to fulfill his role of primary infield backup. And as long as Freel is on the roster, there's your in-a-pinch flexibility. No need to carry a seventh infielder.

As for Lopez vs. Freel, I don't give a guy a $2-3 million dollar contract if what he's doing is fighting for the last spot on the bench and isn't even a lock to make the team, which he shouldn't if he doesn't play better than he did last year. We're already committed to paying Freel a few million to possibly end up at the end of the bench as it is.

MartyFan
01-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I think FeLo would be a decent replacement for Castro...maybe it's just me...at least a better bat off the bench.

pedro
01-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I think FeLo would be a decent replacement for Castro...maybe it's just me...at least a better bat off the bench.

While it doesn't sound bad at a baseball level I believe the chances of this ever happening are perhaps less than Castro winning the batting title.

GAC
01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Actually he's only had one good year......Seriously, if he was able to cut it don't you think he'd have stuck in Toronto, Washington or Cincinnati? It's not like any of those franchises are teaming with talent.

Bingo! I keep hearing some say they think he could still work out here or prove to be capable at this position, yadda, yadda, yadda - yet he consistently has never proven that. One good year.

He's never shown any trend towards improvement. And at age 28 the clock is ticking.

3.9 mil that can be better invested.

That ship has sailed.

WMR
01-30-2008, 08:23 PM

The bat boy would be a better bat off the bench than Castro.

Reds Nd2
01-30-2008, 08:26 PM
While it doesn't sound bad at a baseball level I believe the chances of this ever happening are perhaps less than Castro winning the batting title.

Well, Jared Burton struck out using one of Castros bats too. Maybe Juan just needs a new bat?

KronoRed
01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
The bat boy would be a better bat off the bench than Castro.

You would be better off the bench then Castro.

WMR
01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
You would be better off the bench then Castro.

But I can outhit the bat boy, I bet.

KronoRed
01-31-2008, 01:56 AM

And I bet you hustle! :D

WMR
01-31-2008, 01:59 AM
And I bet you hustle! :D

I solemnly swear to run out EVERY ground ball and I will NEVER walk out to my position. NEVER.

And I will always AT LEAST get to 2nd base on a ball off the wall.

reds44
01-31-2008, 02:09 AM
I solemnly swear to run out EVERY ground ball and I will NEVER walk out to my position. NEVER.

And I will always AT LEAST get to 2nd base on a ball off the wall.
Marty is going to love you.

Topcat
01-31-2008, 05:42 AM

No you Can't you have no shot of doing that :D

GAC
02-01-2008, 08:00 AM

I bet you would have to run OFF that field too. :p:

Team Clark
02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Bingo! I keep hearing some say they think he could still work out here or prove to be capable at this position, yadda, yadda, yadda - yet he consistently has never proven that. One good year.

He's never shown any trend towards improvement. And at age 28 the clock is ticking.

3.9 mil that can be better invested.

That ship has sailed.

Wayne sold High. His return...well. Even I am beginning to wonder.

princeton
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Wayne sold High. His return...well. Even I am beginning to wonder.

the risks of doing your shopping at Kmart...

maybe Billy Beane thought same, and is reason we don't have Haren right now?

Billy Beane: "never buy china at K-mart nor young pitching in Cincinnati"

KronoRed
02-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I think selling high would have been before the 2006 season started, when that 23 HR year was still fresh

camisadelgolf
02-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Lopez is looking to get his career back on track and will sign wherever there is a team that doesn't have much confidence in their second baseman and/or shortstop. The Reds have pretty much 0% of signing Lopez, imo. More importantly, I don't think Krivsky wants him.

jojo
02-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Felipe Lopez had one good year offensively as a major leaguer. He's never been good defensively.

jojo
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM

At $5M?

WMR
02-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Felipe Lopez had one good year offensively as a major leaguer. He's never been good defensively.

It's difficult to be a good defensive player when you've played your entire career in the wrong position.

westofyou
02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
It's difficult to be a good defensive player when you've played your entire career in the wrong position.

Man.. got any more excuses for the guy?

Vs the league in his career.. note all the minus signs... one thing that doesn't add up to is paying him for this.

YEAR TEAM AGE G AB R H 2B 3B HR HR% RBI BB SO SB CS AVG SLG OBA OPS
2001 Blue Jays 21 -1 -4 -2 -5 3 -1 -0.39 -1 -5 6 0 -1 -.007 -.011 -.030 -.041
2002 Blue Jays 22 -11 -6 -13 -1 1 -1 -0.34 -5 -5 37 0 -2 -.037 -.039 -.045 -.084
2003 Reds 23 -15 -2 -15 -5 1 -5 -2.19 -15 6 20 5 -4 -.055 -.131 -.028 -.159
2004 Reds 24 0 -2 -7 4 0 -2 -0.72 -4 -2 32 -3 1 -.027 -.032 -.027 -.059
2005 Reds 25 19 21 18 3 2 6 0.88 13 2 9 6 -3 .023 .059 .013 .072
2006 Reds 26 -2 5 -2 -5 -1 -3 -0.72 -17 12 2 17 -4 -.004 -.048 .012 -.036
Nationals 26 -5 3 1 -3 0 -7 -2.62 -16 6 8 16 -4 .009 -.077 .019 -.058
TOTALS -7 8 -1 -8 -1 -10 -1.56 -33 18 10 33 -7 .002 -.061 .015 -.046
2007 Nationals 27 -28 -19 -24 -11 2 -11 -1.67 -35 -10 -7 12 -5 -.027 -.084 -.034 -.119
TOTALS -44 -3 -44 -23 9 -24 -0.83 -81 6 107 53 -22 -.012 -.037 -.012 -.050

YEAR TEAM RC RCAA RCAP OWP RC/G TB EBH ISO SEC BPA IBB HBP SAC SF GIDP OUTS PA POS
2001 Blue Jays -4 -0.76 -3 -2 -.004 -.027 -.026 0 -2 0 0 2 0 -8 3B
2002 Blue Jays -12 -1.38 -16 -1 -.001 -.012 -.040 -1 -2 0 -2 3 0 -20 SS
2003 Reds -11 -1.88 -33 -9 -.076 -.010 -.079 -1 -1 1 -1 3 0 -11 SS
2004 Reds -5 -0.65 -9 2 -.005 -.024 -.021 -3 0 0 -1 5 0 -3 SS
2005 Reds 18 1.12 42 10 .036 .045 .059 -3 -6 -1 3 5 0 17 SS
2006 Reds -1 -0.08 -18 -9 -.044 .041 .011 -3 -4 1 -2 2 0 5 SS
Nationals -2 -0.21 -23 -10 -.086 -.003 -.009 -3 -1 6 0 4 0 5 SS
TOTALS -2 -0.14 -41 -19 -.063 .022 .002 -6 -6 7 -2 6 0 10
2007 Nationals -28 -1.57 -63 -19 -.057 -.047 -.068 -5 -3 2 0 4 0 -38 SS
TOTALS -45 -0.55 -121 -38 -.026 -.002 -.016 -18 -20 8 -2 28 0 -52

WMR
02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Man.. got any more excuses for the guy?

Vs the league in his career.. note all the minus signs... one thing that doesn't add up to is paying him for this.

YEAR TEAM AGE G AB R H 2B 3B HR HR% RBI BB SO SB CS AVG SLG OBA OPS
2001 Blue Jays 21 -1 -4 -2 -5 3 -1 -0.39 -1 -5 6 0 -1 -.007 -.011 -.030 -.041
2002 Blue Jays 22 -11 -6 -13 -1 1 -1 -0.34 -5 -5 37 0 -2 -.037 -.039 -.045 -.084
2003 Reds 23 -15 -2 -15 -5 1 -5 -2.19 -15 6 20 5 -4 -.055 -.131 -.028 -.159
2004 Reds 24 0 -2 -7 4 0 -2 -0.72 -4 -2 32 -3 1 -.027 -.032 -.027 -.059
2005 Reds 25 19 21 18 3 2 6 0.88 13 2 9 6 -3 .023 .059 .013 .072
2006 Reds 26 -2 5 -2 -5 -1 -3 -0.72 -17 12 2 17 -4 -.004 -.048 .012 -.036
Nationals 26 -5 3 1 -3 0 -7 -2.62 -16 6 8 16 -4 .009 -.077 .019 -.058
TOTALS -7 8 -1 -8 -1 -10 -1.56 -33 18 10 33 -7 .002 -.061 .015 -.046
2007 Nationals 27 -28 -19 -24 -11 2 -11 -1.67 -35 -10 -7 12 -5 -.027 -.084 -.034 -.119
TOTALS -44 -3 -44 -23 9 -24 -0.83 -81 6 107 53 -22 -.012 -.037 -.012 -.050

YEAR TEAM RC RCAA RCAP OWP RC/G TB EBH ISO SEC BPA IBB HBP SAC SF GIDP OUTS PA POS
2001 Blue Jays -4 -0.76 -3 -2 -.004 -.027 -.026 0 -2 0 0 2 0 -8 3B
2002 Blue Jays -12 -1.38 -16 -1 -.001 -.012 -.040 -1 -2 0 -2 3 0 -20 SS
2003 Reds -11 -1.88 -33 -9 -.076 -.010 -.079 -1 -1 1 -1 3 0 -11 SS
2004 Reds -5 -0.65 -9 2 -.005 -.024 -.021 -3 0 0 -1 5 0 -3 SS
2005 Reds 18 1.12 42 10 .036 .045 .059 -3 -6 -1 3 5 0 17 SS
2006 Reds -1 -0.08 -18 -9 -.044 .041 .011 -3 -4 1 -2 2 0 5 SS
Nationals -2 -0.21 -23 -10 -.086 -.003 -.009 -3 -1 6 0 4 0 5 SS
TOTALS -2 -0.14 -41 -19 -.063 .022 .002 -6 -6 7 -2 6 0 10
2007 Nationals -28 -1.57 -63 -19 -.057 -.047 -.068 -5 -3 2 0 4 0 -38 SS
TOTALS -45 -0.55 -121 -38 -.026 -.002 -.016 -18 -20 8 -2 28 0 -52

I like Felipe's game a whole bunch, what can I say.

I hope he gets a chance to play an entire season at 2nd base somewhere this season... I think he'll have a good year.

westofyou
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I like Felipe's game a whole bunch, what can I say.

I hope he gets a chance to play an entire season at 2nd base somewhere this season... I think he'll have a good year.

I used to feel the same way, but after watching him the past two years (and I've seen my fair share of Nats games) I've come to the conclusion...

What's to like?

He's utterly uninspiring and indifferent in the field, can't bat RH and yet still does, has the "illusion" of pop, but that usually appears less and less as of late and plus all that he costs a lot of cash and gives away outs in the field.

But hey.. I have his bobble head.. that has to count for something.

Who knows, maybe he'll turn into Tony Phillips... or maybe he'll turn into Jimenez or Fernando Tatis instead.

jojo
02-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Well middle infield isn't his forte and his bat isn't good enough for a corner position. That leaves CF or catcher (a position that would require a move in the wrong direction on the defensive spectrum).... He's basically an expensive Willie Bloomquist with a little better bat but less defensive value. He does have a good arm though....maybe he could be turned into a middle reliever.

sonny
02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
All I'm sayin' is that WK looks more like a genius everyday.

reds44
02-01-2008, 08:10 PM
All I'm sayin' is that WK looks more like a genius everyday.
He would look like a genius if he actually got something of substance.

GAC
02-03-2008, 09:00 AM
He would look like a genius if he actually got something of substance.

While I tend to agree, I am simply laughing at those "experts" within the media who said this was a bad trade, or that the Reds got fleeced by the Nats. I don't think either team benefited from this deal. That happens. Our BP was our Achilles Heel and WK took a shot/gamble in a market that was pretty thin when it came to pitching. Yes, we were desperate. And IMO, that was the core reason for that trade. Clayton was add-in fodder.

Regardless of what we now know about Majewski, the previous year he appeared in 46 games (55 innings), was 3-2 with a 3.58 ERA, and was ranked one of the ten best setup men that year. Yes, I know we can look at, and analyze. all the other peripherals on him and it says "Blah". Again - we took a gamble.

And the "court" is still out on Bray and pitching prospect Thompson.

I'm just glad it is the Nats and not us facing the arb issue with Lopez. And while I think we could have done better with Kearns, I think he has been a disappointment considering the high expectations placed on him.