PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Hoops

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

BRM
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
This is an awesome photo.

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0802/campus.fan.abuse/images/_K2_6341.jpg

SunDeck
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Yep, they're called engineers.

BRM
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought this was an interesting read. It's from the Indy Star. It's sort of a long article so I'll just put the most interesting part(s) here.

If this has any remote chance of ending well for the Hoosiers and Dakich, the interim coach has to lead his reeling team through the following drill the moment they return to the practice floor:

First thing, give each player a bottle of Wite-Out and have him expunge Kelvin Sampson's initials from the side of his sneakers. Because this isn't about their former coach anymore. This is about them, their teammates, their school.

Next, give them each a magic marker and have them sketch the initials of somebody else for whom they're prepared to play their hearts out.

Can I make a suggestion here?

How about IU?

It's time to get over Sampson's departure. It's time to get past the petty grievances over athletic director Rick Greenspan's questionable choice of Dakich and not McCallum as the interim coach. It's time, simply, to grow up. Yes, they lost their coach. But so did IU's football team, who lost their beloved coach in the most painful way imaginable.

"He (Sampson) isn't coming back,'' Dakich said Friday night.

Nor, you sense, are the Hoosiers. They have been reduced to a collection of mismatched parts, each of them playing with his own unique agenda. How does Dakich -- or Bob Knight or Dean Smith or anybody? -- fix so much that's so wrong, and in such a short time?

On Friday night against Minnesota, they didn't start defending until it became absolutely necessary. And offensively, all of their recent games have turned into a chorus of selfishness. Sampson was like the benevolent dictator who kept all the warring republics united under a common flag. Now the leader is gone, and the Hoosiers have dissolved into civil war.

To his great credit, D.J. White has continued to play well and play hard, but he hasn't gotten much help.

Clearly, Ellis has checked out mentally.

And Eric Gordon, who suddenly doesn't look much like a lottery pick, much less a first-rounder, has collapsed under the weight of the coaching change.

In the six games since Sampson's departure, he has hit 29-of-84 shots (35 percent), made 7-of-44 behind the 3-point line and has turned the ball over 26 times with just 15 assists. His floor game has devolved to such a degree, it's fair to wonder if maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't benefit from another year in college.

He would. But he won't. The NBA is calling.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080316/SPORTS15/803160378/1069/SPORTS0601

Razor Shines
03-17-2008, 09:09 PM
It is possible for IU to get it together again during these few days before they play the Razorbacks, but it's unlikely. What is likely is that they will get drummed out of the first round. It's too bad because they have the talent to blow out Arkansas if they get that talent on the same page and decide to play as a team. They also have the ability to give UNC a very good game, and possibly knock them off, but again I don't think it will happen. I'm just hoping.

BRM
03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I keep hearing that a couple of players have become very disruptive at practice and in the locker room. Dakich has seemingly lost control of this team according to some in the media. If true, I'd say they are toast.

redsfanmia
03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I keep hearing that a couple of players have become very disruptive at practice and in the locker room. Dakich has seemingly lost control of this team according to some in the media. If true, I'd say they are toast.

I dont know about you but I get the feeling from watching them that the players flat out dont want to play for Dakich. Maybe he should show them the tape from when he held down Jordan in the 1984 tournament game.

BRM
03-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I get that feeling too. That's why I tend to believe the reports that Dakich has lost control of the squad. You can see it when they play.

SunDeck
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
These kids are done and I am not real surprised by it. Even if they do like Dakich, the events of the season are enough to mess a team up considerably. It's not just the "he recruited me" thing I refer to. It's the fact that you can't separate the coach from the way a team plays. Dakich may very well be a great coach, but he can't coach this team right now. My guess is these kids will be relieved with a first round exit.

SunDeck
03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Devin Eubanks- former IU recruit? (http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1812)

Devin Ebanks asks for release from IU
• By Chris | Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 3:36 pm

The No. 2 small forward in the class of 2008 is no longer committed to Indiana.

Devin Ebanks, a 6-9 wing from New York City, has requested a release from the letter of intent he signed with Indiana in November. Indiana will honor his request because Ebanks negotiated an out in the agreement in the event that Kelvin Sampson no longer be the coach of the Hoosiers’ basketball team.

A New York source told The Herald-Times Tuesday that Ebanks is still considering IU and will watch the situation in Bloomington closely. He does not expect to make any sort of a decision until after the NCAA Tournament, and IU is expected to either have a coach in place by that time or name one shortly after.

Ebanks is going to listen to pitches from Rutgers — one of the schools he was originally interested in — as well as Texas and Memphis. There’s still a possibility that one other school could enter the mix, according to a source close to the situation. The source said that Ebanks will basically be re-recruited, taking visits and meeting with coaches. Both Memphis and Texas are playing in the tournament — as a No. 1 and a No. 2 seed, respectively — but even if they were eliminated early it seems unlikely that Ebanks would be able to make visits until after the tournament.

Ebanks spent last weekend in Indiana, first taking in the Hoosiers’ quarterfinal loss in the Big Ten Tournament on Friday. He met with athletic director Rick Greenspan on Saturday to discuss the search for a new coach and other issues surrounding the program (such as the looming NCAA hearing).

Playadlc
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Katz says the IU job is down to 9 people... (taken from peegs.com)

He appeared on the Krappitz and Eddie show (1070) and said he would bet it will be one of these nine people:

Bruce Pearl
Thad Matta
Mike Brey
Kevin Stallings
Sean Miller
Mike Montgomery
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
Randy Wittman

gilpdawg
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM

He appeared on the Krappitz and Eddie show (1070) and said he would bet it will be one of these nine people:

Bruce Pearl
Thad Matta
Mike Brey
Kevin Stallings
Sean Miller
Mike Montgomery
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
Randy Wittman
I'd be happy with all those names except for probably Wittman. Wittman is in the same boat as Skiles, who people around Indy are talking about. He's never had to recruit before. Few isn't leaving Gonzaga for IU, or he would have done so when they hired Sampson. They talked to him then, IIRC. I don't see Barnes leaving Texas, although he's been sort of nomadic in his career up until he got to Texas. Montgomery is semi-retired, isn't he? Doubt they'd want to hire a guy who's in his 60s. Not that that is a problem, but word is they want a young guy. I would love to see them hire Stallings, just to tick off all the morons around here who think that would be blasphemous because he's a Purdue guy.

redsfanmia
03-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Bruce Pearl
Thad Matta
Mike Brey
Kevin Stallings
Sean Miller
Mike Montgomery
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
Randy Wittman

How can you listen to that garbage? I thought Kravitz said it was going to be Tom Izzo?

BRM
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Bruce Pearl
Thad Matta
Mike Brey
Kevin Stallings
Sean Miller
Mike Montgomery
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
Randy Wittman

I wouldn't want Wittman or Montgomery but the rest are fine. Not that I believe anything Kravitz says anyway.

Revering4Blue
03-22-2008, 10:54 AM
If they don't pursue Tony Bennett, Tom Crean or Jay Wright, they're crazy.

Hoosier Red
03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
If I remember correctly, Wright has a huge buyout and Crean didn't want to come last time.

I'm okay with anyone but Stallings. If we're going to get a Keady assistant, I'd rather hire Lavin.

At least then we could do the public service of getting him off ESPN.

For the record, I want Miller, would be open to Brey, and would be ecstatic with Pearl.

WVRed
03-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Bruce Pearl
Thad Matta
Mike Brey
Kevin Stallings
Sean Miller
Mike Montgomery
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
Randy Wittman

If I had to evaluate:

Pearl=hasn't publicly denied interest, but could be using it to extract a big raise as well. Considering Kentucky and Tennessee are going to battle it out for Hopson, you know who I am pulling for.

Matta=Turned down Kentucky(even though they never offered), but I doubt that even though he is from the area, he would take on an Indiana program that is in disarray and likely to go on probation. Also has OSU stacked with recruits in 2008 and 2010.

Brey=Never been overly high on Brey, but it would be an in-state promotion.

Stallings=Another one I would like to see get the IU job. With the IU letterhead and the style he plays, he would be able to sell IU to big name recruits.

Miller=Xavier has the track record of producing good coaches and Miller would be a good fit at IU. Not sure if he is ready for a job of that caliber though.

Montgomery=Had good teams at Stanford, but not really flashy and I don't think he would win over a lot of recruits.

Few=Appears to be happy at Gonzaga. Wouldn't bet on him leaving.

Barnes=Again, turned down Kentucky even though they did offer. He can recruit big time talent, but hasn't been able to coach them deep into the tournament.

Bennett=The one who IMO should get the IU job. He is an excellent defensive coach and could recruit with the IU letterhead.

Razor Shines
03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I heard Matta on some radio show this week say he's not interested in going to IU. So he's probably going to get the job.

Seriously I don't see Matta leaving. Why would he? As for the list, I really don't understand why Bennett's name isn't on it. He's the guy I probably want the most at this point.

I was thinking about something the other day. I know Alford isn't even in the conversation for the job, but I was watching them play in the NIT and I thought if IU ran his offense they would have probably been higher than an 8 seed and probably gone pretty deep in the tournament. I can think of no one better who could have taught Eric Gordon the thing he lacks the most on offense: Moving without the ball. Gordon made himself so guard-able by not getting himself open. And with him being a freshman that deficiency in his game rests squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

gilpdawg
03-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I heard Matta on some radio show this week say he's not interested in going to IU. So he's probably going to get the job.

Seriously I don't see Matta leaving. Why would he? As for the list, I really don't understand why Bennett's name isn't on it. He's the guy I probably want the most at this point.

I was thinking about something the other day. I know Alford isn't even in the conversation for the job, but I was watching them play in the NIT and I thought if IU ran his offense they would have probably been higher than an 8 seed and probably gone pretty deep in the tournament. I can think of no one better who could have taught Eric Gordon the thing he lacks the most on offense: Moving without the ball. Gordon made himself so guard-able by not getting himself open. And with him being a freshman that deficiency in his game rests squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.
IMO, if Alford's name wasn't Steve Alford, nobody would be wanting him to get the IU job. He's just an average coach. We need better than average. IU fans need to quit living in the past. Bob Knight isn't walking through that door.

Razor Shines
03-22-2008, 02:23 PM
IMO, if Alford's name wasn't Steve Alford, nobody would be wanting him to get the IU job. He's just an average coach. We need better than average. IU fans need to quit living in the past. Bob Knight isn't walking through that door.

That wasn't at all my point. And I don't think I mentioned Bob Knight. Alford may be an average coach, but I'm not sure about that. Alford's biggest problem could be that he's not a good recruiter, but that may have been because of the places he's coached. But I never said I wanted Alford to get the IU job this time around. I think I said I wanted Tony Bennett.

What I do know is that he runs a good offense and his players move without the ball. And why shouldn't he be good at teaching that, when he played he was one of the best I've ever seen at moving without the ball (there was a Reggie guy who was pretty good too). And I think that stagnant offense was IU's biggest problem this year down the stretch and most notably Eric Gordon's biggest problem.

gilpdawg
03-22-2008, 02:29 PM
That wasn't at all my point. And I don't think I mentioned Bob Knight.
Not you. But a lot of fans have that mentality.

Razor Shines
03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Not you. But a lot of fans have that mentality.

I honestly don't think we'd hear a lot from those fans if we got a really, really good coach. Sampson wasn't going to silence them because of the baggage he brought.

George Anderson
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I would love to see Sean Miller. I think IU needs someone young to basically just start over and Miller has as good of a resume as any young coach around.

SunDeck
03-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I seriously hope Miller doesn't leave XU. He can build something special there.
My guess is that IU can't lure him away, or any other high profile, young coach. The place just doesn't have any bling anymore. I hate to say it, but IU has fallen a long way in a short time.

harangatang
03-23-2008, 10:14 PM
My guess is that IU can't lure him away, or any other high profile, young coach. The place just doesn't have any bling anymore. I hate to say it, but IU has fallen a long way in a short time.Purdue is the premier team in Indiana and will be for at least a few more years.

WVRed
03-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Purdue is the premier team in Indiana and will be for at least a few more years.

That is like saying NC State is the premier team in North Carolina, Stanford is the premier team in California, or Louisville is the premier team in Kentucky.(Let the floodgates open)

Indiana has fallen somewhat but remember they are still Indiana. All it takes is hiring the right coach and they will be back in the chase.

Look at UNC under Matt Dougherty and UCLA under Steve Lavin. You don't see either of those programs in shambles after those coaches. Hopefully if IU makes the right call on a coach they will return to dominance.

Saying Purdue or for that matter Notre Dame is premier in that state or even nationally isn't comparable, IMO.

WVRed
03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
BTW, there is talk that Jordon Crawford is looking at transferring. If you are Kentucky, would you want to take on Joe's younger brother?

Chip R
03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
My guess is that IU can't lure him away, or any other high profile, young coach. The place just doesn't have any bling anymore. I hate to say it, but IU has fallen a long way in a short time.

A state school in a BCS conference that has so much tradition in a basketball crazy state is going to be able to offer a coach like Miller more money, more opportunity, and more stature than Xavier ever can. The money especially. Miller can stay at XU for 20 years and he's always going to play 2nd fiddle to UC not to mention the Reds and the Bengals.

BRM
03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
BTW, there is talk that Jordon Crawford is looking at transferring. If you are Kentucky, would you want to take on Joe's younger brother?

I don't know why they wouldn't if he was interested. The kid definitely has talent.

cumberlandreds
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM

I would take him. But I doubt that he would want to be known as Joe's little brother for three years.

BRM
03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Jordan should go to Louisville if he wants to leave. They could use a shooter like him.

BRM
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
This was in yesterday's Indy Star.

Indiana's players were all over the board when asked about their future at IU. All of them said they want to wait until a new coach is named and they could meet with that coach.

Two in particular -- junior college transfers Jamarcus Ellis and DeAndre Thomas -- indicated they plan to be back next season. Freshman center Eli Holman also thought he would be back. But Armon Bassett, Jordan Crawford and Brandon McGee all said they needed time to sort everything out before deciding.

Ellis said he didn't feel comfortable talking about what anyone else on his team would do.

"I can only speak for myself, and I'm just looking forward to getting to know the new coach, whoever that may be, and getting in the gym and working hard, because I have a lot of things I can do better in my game,'' Ellis said.

Crawford said he plans to see what comes about with a new coach.

LINK (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080323/SPORTS0601/803230381/1069/SPORTS0601)

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
This was in yesterday's Indy Star.

LINK (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080323/SPORTS0601/803230381/1069/SPORTS0601)

Getting Bruce Pearl would help keep those kids around. :)

BRM
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Getting Bruce Pearl would help keep those kids around. :)

Of the names being floated around, he's the guy with the best chance to keep them around. That's for sure.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Of the names being floated around, he's the guy with the best chance to keep them around. That's for sure.

Any new names on that front?

Is Jamie Dixon locked in at Pitt or might he be a viable candidate?

BRM
03-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Any new names on that front?

Is Jamie Dixon locked in at Pitt or might he be a viable candidate?

I haven't heard any new names. The IU Alumni Association in my hometown has supposedly endorsed Stallings, whatever that means. My buddy who works in the Indianapolis media said he keeps hearing Stallings is the frontrunner right now too. Thing is, he also hears Pearl's name alot. I don't know what the heck they are going to do.

I believe Dixon is on a long-term contract.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 11:14 AM
I haven't heard any new names. The IU Alumni Association in my hometown has supposedly endorsed Stallings, whatever that means. My buddy who works in the Indianapolis media said he keeps hearing Stallings is the frontrunner right now too. Thing is, he also hears Pearl's name alot. I don't know what the heck they are going to do.

There's no talk of Stallings getting the IU job in Vandy circles. Of course with the way they close the season, Vandy fans would probably say "you can have him."

I don't want him to leave because I look around and say "who are they going to be able to hire that's going to do a better job than him?"

I really like this year's freshman class and think they could be very productive with some more seasoning. Also, two Stallings recruits for next year look very promising.

Lance Goulbourne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FLZN4Ekz4c and Steve Tchiengang.

And if somehow he could add Jeff Taylor, Jr. and Ogilvy sticks it out, they could be very good in 2009-10.

BRM
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I just got an email from him. Stallings, Miller, and Bennett are the top names (the only names actually) right now in his circles...with Stallings being the favorite. He's usually dead on but I hope his sources are off on this one.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I just got an email from him. Stallings, Miller, and Bennett are the top names (the only names actually) right now in his circles...with Stallings being the favorite. He's usually dead on but I hope his sources are off on this one.

Is the speculation that Stallings is the front-runner because of his connections wih Greenspan?

BRM
03-24-2008, 11:45 AM
I think so Dab. I'll ask him that question.

He tells me guys like Pearl and Matta are considered to be "too expensive". I assume he is referring to a potential buyout of his current contract. Do you what Pearl's current contract status is?

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I think so Dab. I'll ask him that question.

He tells me guys like Pearl and Matta are considered to be "too expensive". I assume he is referring to a potential buyout of his current contract. Do you what Pearl's current contract status is?

Pearl's signed through 2012 at about 1.2 million per year, IIRC. Speculation is that after this year he wants Billy Gillispie $. And no, that's not a dig at UK, that's exactly how it was put to me.

No idea about Matta.

BRM
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I think Matta is under contract for quite a few years as well. I wonder what sort of buyout is in Pearl's contract or if he has any out clauses.

I have a feeling I'm going to be ticked at the hire when it's all said and done. I have little faith in this committee.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I almost got it right.

$1.3-1.8 million and through 2012-13.

http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headlines/8576387.html

500k loyalty bonus?

I've still heard he's in the market for another renegotiation, specifically to make more $ than Billy G.

BRM
03-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I almost got it right.

$1.3 million and through 2012-13.

http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headlines/8576387.html

500k loyalty bonus?

I've still heard he's in the market for another renegotiation, specifically to make more $ than Billy G.

He should get more than Billy G. Billy doesn't even own any cool sport coats. ;)

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
He should get more than Billy G. Billy doesn't even own any cool sport coats. ;)

What was Kelvin making?

BRM
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure he was under $1M per year but I'm not positive. I'll have to check.

BRM
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
He was on a seven year contract. He made $1.1M his first year and his contract called for him to make $1.6M every year for the remaining six years.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
He was on a seven year contract. He made $1.1M his first year and his contract called for him to make $1.6M every year for the remaining six years.

That's only slightly more than Stallings makes at Vandy. Not sure about the length of his deal, though.

BRM
03-24-2008, 12:38 PM
That's only slightly more than Stallings makes at Vandy. Not sure about the length of his deal, though.

They can certainly afford Pearl's salary if they want him. I don't know about any buyout though.

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Insidethehall.com did mention Pearl yesterday.

Rumor alert: IU wants to talk to Bruce Pearl

I’m usually not big on rumors, after all, anyone can make something up and hope it comes true, but during the impending coaching search, we’re sure to hear a little bit of this and a little bit of that. So to preface this, it’s a rumor. But we wouldn’t be doing our job if we didn’t pass it along.

The word out of the East Region in Birmingham, Alabama is that Indiana has asked Tennessee for permission to speak to coach Bruce Pearl. Reportedly, a Tennessee coach said Pearl hasn’t said a word to his staff.

With that said, Pearl was on Real Sports on HBO with Bryant Gumbel recently and off camera, he said that he knew Indiana would come calling and that he had no interest in the job.

So I’m not really sure to make of this. One would think if IU did make the call, Pearl would surely listen to their pitch after the season. Worst case scenario, he’ll get a raise from good ol’ Rocky Top. I’m sure this will make PostmanE happy (http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/03/18/a-drop-in-the-cap-for-bruce-pearl/), but am I the only one who thinks photos (http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads//2008/03/pearl2.jpg) like (http://loserwithsocks.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bp2.jpg) these (http://loserwithsocks.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bp1.jpg) are a cause for concern when discussing Pearl’s candidacy? It’s one thing to get a photo with your favorite coach, but these just strike me as a bit over the top. Also, the headbands would have to go.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Insidethehall.com did mention Pearl yesterday.

I hadn't seen that one photo of him outside Neyland. He's really foolish to be in that situation on a football weekend. Maybe he's the next Eustachy.

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
This is just sad. Credit to the Herald Times blog.

Here’s a note that ran in Sunday’s NY Daily News:

HOOSIER DADDY? With Indiana eliminated from the NCAA Tournament, the school is expected to being a search for a new head coach. Former Hoosier player Dan Dakich is serving as the interim coach.Scott Skiles is scheduled to be interviewed for the job, but when one of Indiana’s most famous alums was asked if he has any interest, Thomas passed. “I would hope that they would keep Dan Dakich there,” Thomas said. “Dan has done a good job under some tough circumstances. “I’ll do everything I can to help and support the program in terms of financial resources and also helping them recruit players. I definitely would like to see Dakich keep the job.”

WMR
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Isaiah for AD!

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I hadn't seen that one photo of him outside Neyland. He's really foolish to be in that situation on a football weekend. Maybe he's the next Eustachy.

I agree.

Boston Red
03-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Isaiah for AD!

I would have to agree. Maybe even for President. I would just like to see Isaiah as intimately involved in the IU program as possible.

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Like I said before, I'm confident the "committee" will do everything possible to screw this up. I hope I'm wrong but I have a sinking feeling...

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Isaiah for AD!

I would have to agree. Maybe even for President. I would just like to see Isaiah as intimately involved in the IU program as possible.

You guys are downright evil.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree.

Compare and contrast.

Pearl's pics with the girlies vs.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/images/admin/gillispie.jpg

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Clearly, Billy was framed.

WMR
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
What's it like being hated by your family, Dab?

BRM
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Jealousy of the smart kid. I see it all the time.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 05:53 PM

Better than spending the night in the drunk tank in Tulsa, Oklahoma... or El Paso, Texas. That's a given.

WMR
03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Better than spending the night in the drunk tank in Tulsa, Oklahoma... or El Paso, Texas. That's a given.

I wonder if Stallings would have rather gotten his ass kicked by 13 seed Siena or spend a night in the drunk tank?

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I wonder if Stallings would have rather gotten his ass kicked by 13 seed Siena or spend a night in the drunk tank?

Stallings gets a DUI and he won't have to worry about losing to Siena. He won't have a job.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Stallings gets a DUI and he won't have to worry about losing to Siena. He won't have a job.

You mean some schools have standards? Shocking.

WMR
03-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I'd say Stallings would love the chance to spend a night in the drunk tank if it meant he'd miss catching an ass whipping from Siena.

WMR
03-24-2008, 06:16 PM
You mean some schools have standards? Shocking.

Most Ironic Post of 2008.

Congrats, BRM.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd say Stallings would love the chance to spend a night in the drunk tank if it meant he'd miss catching an ass whipping from Siena.

He's at Vanderbilt. Losing to Siena won't cost him his job. A night in the drunk tank would. I think he'd gladly take the loss to Siena personally.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Most Ironic Post of 2008.

Congrats, BRM.

Is Sampson still employed by IU?

WMR
03-24-2008, 06:18 PM
He's at Vanderbilt. Losing to Siena won't cost him his job. A night in the drunk tank would. I think he'd gladly take the loss to Siena personally.

I was speaking hypothetically.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I was speaking hypothetically.

Sorry, I'm a little slow. ;)

WMR

It's not like he had a bad reputation or anything when they hired him... IU has standards to uphold, after all.

dabvu2498

Wasn't the first (or worst) whippin he's taken at Vandy.

He'll be fine.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 06:20 PM

They are paying him. :)

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:20 PM
It's not like he had a bad reputation or anything when they hired him... IU has standards to uphold, after all.

Good point.

I wasn't intending to hold IU to some high standard with my comment by the way. I was actually praising Vandy, as sad as that is. IU has thoroughly disappointed me the last few years.

WMR
03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I know, BRM. You're usually so hesitant to jump on Dabvu's wagon when he's busting my balls.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
They are paying him. :)

At least he's gone now. He should have never been there to begin with but he's gone now.

dabvu2498
03-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I was actually praising Vandy, as sad as that is.

So much to praise.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I know, BRM. You're usually so hesitant to jump on Dabvu's wagon when he's busting my balls.

Like I said, I'm the epitome of courteous and respectful posting. I'd never jump on the "Rip WMR" bandwagon.

WMR
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I try to praise Vandy, but whenever I do, Dab sticks the knife in a little deeper.

BRM
03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
So much to praise.

Not quite as much as UT but close.

WVRed
03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I do think one thing will come into play if Indiana tries to get Pearl that will work in their favor.

Consider the following three base salaries:

Those are the three salaries of Tennessee's head coaches in football, womens basketball, and mens basketball respectively. If Indiana offers Pearl around say 3 million, it would create a circus in the inner circle of Rocky Top.

Let's say Tennessee counters. The football team has been exceptionally mediocre of late and Phillip Fulmer really doesn't have a leg to stand on in asking for a raise. The more likely scenario would be Fulmer being let go and Tennessee paying top dollar for a new coach.

Which brings me to Pat Summitt. 7 NCAA National Championships(soon to be eight), and Bruce comes in and regardless of the game against Louisville this weekend, would likely make more than her with possibly not even a championship to show for it. Pat Summitt would be rightfully livid if Bruce made more money than her, regardless of the going rate of college coaches.

Bottom line: If Tennessee keeps Pearl, it will likely come at the expense of their bigger cash cows.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
EIGHT LOSERS

Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt coach: Stallings was a hot name for most of the season and was even mentioned as a possible candidate at Indiana. Something tells me he may have fallen off the Hoosiers’ short list after a 21-point, opening round loss to No. 13 seed Siena.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-209186&prov=rivals&type=lgns

BRM
03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Insidethehall.com discusses Bennett and Crean.

On Tony Bennett:

Pros: After his father Dick retired two seasons ago, the younger Bennett took over and in his first season led Washington State to its most wins in school history (tied it at 26), won AP Coach of the Year and Naismith College Coach of the Year. This all after WSU finished dead last in the Pac-10 a year before. This year, his team has the second-highest rated defense in the country at 56.1 points allowed per game and have advanced (so far) to the Sweet Sixteen — beating Winthrop and Notre Dame by a combined margin of 49 points. He’s young (38), he’s up and coming, he’s what IU could really use to jump start the program. He’s helped recruit the likes Devin Harris, Kirk Penney, Alando Tucker and Brian Butch while at Wisconsin. His father’s ties to Bob Knight might help reconnect a certain segment of the Indiana family too.

Cons: Too inexperienced? This is only Bennett’s second year at the helm of Washington State. Sure, he’s done a stellar job in his first two seasons, but do we need a larger sample size before we know he’s the real deal? Would it be a mistake to pull a trigger on a guy who’s still largely untested?

The bottom line: Out of the young up and coming crop, Bennett might stick out as IU’s No. 1 target. But does he want to flee WSU for a school where his sister resigned a few short years ago (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2002551) as head coach of the women’s team? His current salary is at least $800,000 a year and his contract runs till at least the 2013-2014 season. Perhaps a bit easier on the pocketbooks for IU than others.

On Mr. Overrated:

Pros: Crean’s Big Ten ties run deep as he was the associate head coach at Michigan State prior to his first head coaching job at Marquette. He helped Tom Izzo recruit many of the players that cut down the nets in 2000 in Indianapolis. In 2003, Crean’s Marquette team crashed the Final Four riding the hot hand of Dwyane Wade. He also developed current NBA players Steve Novak and Travis Diener. A popular knock on Crean was that he couldn’t win in March without Wade, but he advanced to the second round this year with a win over Kentucky. After two NIT seasons in the post-Wade era, Marquette has been to three straight NCAA Tournaments. His coaching tree is growing as four former assistants have moved on to head coaching jobs including Darrin Horn of Western Kentucky. At just 42 years of age (today is his 42nd birthday), he’s young enough to be a long-term solution.

Cons: As I mentioned above, he’s never won big in the NCAA Tournament without Wade. He’s 1-4 in March minus the Miami Heat star. His contract could become an obstacle — it runs through 2016-2017 — and he’s paid well over $1.7 million annually making him one of the highest paid coaches in the land. Crean is a Michigan native and his dream job is probably in East Lansing, but unless Izzo bolts, that job is unlikely to open anytime soon.

The bottom line: Crean’s price tag will likely be too high for Indiana to make him a serious candidate. For the kind of money he’ll command, IU could likely snag a bigger name that would generate more buzz for the program. Still, he’s a dark horse candidate worth mentioning because he’s a proven winner that recruits the state of Indiana hard.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Yanno what would scare me the most as a fan of an opposing program? If they hired that kid from Butler. I think he would be scary-good at a high major. It would be a big leap of faith.

Chip R
03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Yanno what would scare me the most as a fan of an opposing program? If they hired that kid from Butler.

Kid is right. He looks all of 16.

BRM
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Yanno what would scare me the most as a fan of an opposing program? If they hired that kid from Butler. I think he would be scary-good at a high major. It would be a big leap of faith.

It was his first year as a head coach anywhere.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Really? Oh, nevermind, I thought he had been there for a couple years.

BRM
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM

He's been on the staff since 2000.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM

If Stallings were to leave, I'd want Vandy to make 3 calls and 3 calls only.

One to Drake, one to Butler and one to Western Kentucky.

BRM
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
If Stallings were to leave, I'd want Vandy to make 3 calls and 3 calls only.

One to Drake, one to Butler and one to Western Kentucky.

I would agree if I were a Vandy fan. I think the Hoosier's need to shoot higher given their current situation.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
That would be a "dream step up" for those 3 coaches, I'd imagine.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM

The guy you're thinking of got hired away last year to Iowa.

Todd Lickliter.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I would agree if I were a Vandy fan. I think the Hoosier's need to shoot higher given their current situation.

How much higher can you get? :D

You think they'll pony up for Bruce? Cause UT will.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Yeah I agree. Just make sure Bloomington is stocked up with prophylactics if you get Pearl.

BRM
Then again, Tony Bennett has only been the head coach at WSU for two years.

dabvu2498
That would be a "dream step up" for those 3 coaches, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I don't know about Horn, since he's an alumni and KY native. He may actually be in BG for the long haul. :dunno:

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
The guy you're thinking of got hired away last year to Iowa.

Todd Lickliter.

Gotcha!

dabvu2498
Then again, Tony Bennett has only been the head coach at WSU for two years.

Sounds like Billy G. without the booze.

BRM
How much higher can you get? :D

You think they'll pony up for Bruce? Cause UT will.

Do you guys think it would be a good move for IU to go young with their new coach? Like Davis or Stevens? Or should they definitely get a big name?

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Sounds like Billy G. without the booze.

Work hard, party hard.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Do you guys think it would be a good move for IU to go young with their new coach? Like Davis or Stevens? Or should they definitely get a big name?

If I couldn't get Pearl, I would go with a young energetic coach. JMO, though.

However: Isaiah would be my #1 choice. He may be looking for a job very shortly, as well! :pray:

BRM
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
If I couldn't get Pearl, I would go with a young energetic coach. JMO, though.

That's an interesting thought. I could probably live with that, depending on which young guy they get.

However: Isaiah would be my #1 choice. He may be looking for a job very shortly, as well! :pray:

You're dead to me.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Davis could handle it. He knows what the "big time" is supposed to look like, being around his dad.

Stevens... ??? don't know much about him.

Bennett would be a great hire, IMHO.

I don't get people dissing Crean because he "only had one good player" at Marquette. Travis Deiner and Steve Novak were both pretty stinking good and have spent some time the the league.

EDIT -- I see the guy above mentions those two guys. I just read the "cons" to be honest.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Donnie Walsh is expected to sign a 3 yr./15 million dollar contract with the Knicks after being let go by the Pacers...

what that means for Isaiah's future is anybody's guess.

(:pray::pray::pray:)

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Donnie Walsh is expected to sign a 3 yr./15 million dollar contract with the Knicks after being let go by the Pacers...

what that means for Isaiah's future is anybody's guess.

(:pray::pray::pray:)

I'm guessing Isaiah doesn't need work.

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm guessing Isaiah doesn't need work.

But is it fair of him to deprive the world of his basketball acumen? The man needs to be in the game. His alma mater would be the perfect landing spot.

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
But is it fair of him to deprive the world of his basketball acumen? The man needs to be in the game. His alma mater would be the perfect landing spot.

St. Joseph's High School needs a coach?

WMR
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM

LOL

Chip R
03-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Looking to shut the school down? Knowing Dolan he'll probably promote Isaiah.

BRM
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM

I'm really starting to not like you anymore.

WMR
03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Just think how great he would be out on the recruiting trail!

dabvu2498
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM

I'm sure he's already got a nice cell phone plan.

BRM
03-25-2008, 05:17 PM

trail or tail?

BRM
03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
From the Hoosiers Insider on the Indy Star:

So we continue to wait and wonder. Not just about who the coaching candidates may be but once again we question the process. Why does IU feel it is necessary to make people jump through hoops like this? Generally, coaching searches at big time schools are conducted with the president and the athletic director heading to the Final Four with a list of candidates in hand, conducting as many interviews as they see fit, and then hiring their next basketball coach. That's what happened with Iowa last year. They went to the Final Four, interviewed their guys, and made their decision. Why does IU feel it needs to have this extra layer in place? That's the thing I still don't completely understand. Now perhaps the above scenario still plays out in San Antonio but I don't get why this whole ''blue ribbon'' thing was needed. I just think it makes candidates stop and wonder if this is a place they really want to be.

And so we wait. I still will be surprised if IU has its man before the Final Four. It could happen but if it were to drag close to the Final Four I would think they wouldn't want that event to steal their thunder and they would wait until the week after to make an announcement. At the same time, the fact they really need to get someone in place soon may push them to make that decision the week leading up to the Final Four if their top candidate is no longer playing basketball. But no one really knows four sure.

The only thing that is perfectly clear right now is that we're currently in a holding pattern. Which translates into another week or two of every name under the sun being mentioned as a possible candidate for the IU job.

WMR
03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
trail or tail?

Leave Billy out of this!!! :angry:

WMR
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Please, IU, take all the time you need.

(Hi, this is Billy Gillispie, can I speak with Devin please.)

BRM
03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I think they will name someone within a week of the tournament ending.

WMR
03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
They really must if they harbor any hope of holding onto their current players. Time is of the essence.

BRM
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Why should I worry about it? Bob Kravitz says Tom Izzo will be the guy. :rolleyes:

WMR
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
:lol:

WMR
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Talk about getting the right guy and holding onto him.

BRM
03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Talk about getting the right guy and holding onto him.

MSU and Izzo? No doubt.

BRM
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
My buddy started a rumor at his office today that Steve Lavin is the frontrunner now. Some Hoosier fans were not amused.

RedR8R
03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Don't know if this has been posted, but I thought it was hilarious.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb...803250302/1002

Most of the article is stuff we've all heard, but this paragraph stuck out.

"Forget the phone call mess. As IU officials were designing the new basketball practice facility, Sampson wanted windows in his new office that overlooked the practice court. That wasn't feasible because during the summer, coaches aren't allowed to watch players practice and work out. Windows would, in essence, be a built-in NCAA violation, and yet Sampson still argued with IU officials over it."

Another glowing example of the stupidity of Greenspan and the IU administration.

WMR
03-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm sure he would have kept the blinds down when he wasn't supposed to be watching. :rolleyes:

BRM
03-26-2008, 08:55 AM
I have very little confidence in the IU administration getting this right at this point. And now, the new coach of the Indiana Hoosiers...Dane Fife!!

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I have very little confidence in the IU administration getting this right at this point. And now, the new coach of the Indiana Hoosiers...Dane Fife!!

How would you have felt if IU had hired Billy G? ;)

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
How would you have felt if IU had hired Billy G? ;)

Instead of Sampson? I would have been thrilled. Not my first choice by any means but I would have taken him in a heartbeat over Coach AT&T.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Instead of Sampson? I would have been thrilled. Not my first choice by any means but I would have taken him in a heartbeat over Coach AT&T.

If money/contracts were not an issue, if all coaches were "free agents" at the end of this season, who would you want coaching at IU?

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
If money/contracts were not an issue, if all coaches were "free agents" at the end of this season, who would you want coaching at IU?

Wow, that's a tough one. There are several that I like. There are some that I don't particularly like but would take them (Roy Williams, Coach K).

I'd probably pick Billy Donovan.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow, that's a tough one. There are several that I like. There are some that I don't particularly like but would take them (Roy Williams, Coach K).

I'd probably pick Billy Donovan.

Not a bad pick.

There are a few I'd ad to the not like, but would take list: Izzo, Bill Self, Pitino has lost some "style" points with me, but I'd take him in a heartbeat, Matta, etc.

Donovan might be my choice as well.

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Not a bad pick.

There are a few I'd ad to the not like, but would take list: Izzo, Bill Self, Pitino has lost some "style" points with me, but I'd take him in a heartbeat, Matta, etc.

Donovan might be my choice as well.

You don't like Izzo or Pitino? They would be on my favorites list along with Rick Barnes. I'd love to have any of the three. Bill Self would be on the "don't like but would take list" though. I'm indifferent on Matta. I'd take him but I have no real feelings either way on him.

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Today's coaching candidate profile on insidethehall.com is Sean Miller.

Pros: After serving three years as the top assistant to Thad Matta, Miller took control of the reigns at Xavier after Matta bolted for Ohio State and has compiled a 92-38 record in four seasons. The 39-year-old reached the Sweet 16 for the first time as a head coach with Saturday’s 85-78 win over Purdue. In his playing days, Miller was a point guard at Pittsburgh. He preaches defense and his club is allowing just 62.7 ppg this season. He seems to be the popular pick for those in the fanbase (alongside Tony Bennett of Washington State) who crave an “up and coming” coach. After all, Bob Knight was just that when he arrived in Bloomington at the age of 31 in 1971.

Cons: With Miller’s current deal at Xavier running through 2015-2016, would the university be willing to make the financial commitment to not only buy him out of his deal, but also reward him with a lucrative long term deal? That remains to be seen. You can be sure that the farther Xavier advances through March, the higher the price tag becomes for Miller. And other schools besides IU could come calling for his services. There is also a “buzz” that Miller would be more interested in coaching in the Big East given his playing background at Pittsburgh. He’s been described to me on several occasions by various people in the media as a “Big East guy.”

Bottom line: If Indiana wants to go young, Miller is right there with Bennett at the top of the list. Bennett might be slightly more attractive because he’d likely come at a lesser price, but if Miller makes it clear to the “blue ribbon” committee that he’s interested in IU, he’ll be given serious consideration. Most Indiana fans would be thrilled to have Miller at the helm and rightfully so: he can flat out coach.

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
This is a pretty interesting read on the Herald-Times blog. Pitino is a candidate? That's certainly news to me.

I highly doubt that Indiana has been in serious contact with four of their perceived- perceived because the 10-person blue ribbon committee hasn’t said a word- candidates. Why, you ask? Because Bruce Pearl, Tony Bennett, Sean Miller and Rick Pitino all have Sweet 16 games to prepare for and they’re focusing on their opponent instead of real estate options in Bloomington, IN. That’s why, in my opinion, it’s going to be very difficult for Indiana to get this all wrapped up before the Final Four. Unless all of them lose before then. Which is entirely possible.

(On a sidenote, is anyone else just baffled that IU would sit down and interview Scott Skiles? Really, Scott Skiles? He will, at least according to a story in Sunday’s NY Daily News. I don’t get this one at all. He didn’t play for IU. He’s never coached a game in college and didn’t win in the pros. So what if he lives in Bloomington? Why does that earn him an interview? Perhaps it’s just another sign of IU’s immeasurable incompetence.)

Right now, I think Indiana is looking very closely at those four aforementioned candidates. Brad Brownell and Kevin Stallings may be in the running as well, but Pearl, Bennett, Miller and Pitino have all done themselves favors by getting their teams to the Sweet 16. In reality, Pitino doesn’t have to win another game to convince anyone he’s one of the very best coaches in the country. Bruce Pearl would almost be equally exciting for IU fans because of the energy he would bring to the program.

But I think it will come down to money. IU would have paid Sampson $1.6 million this upcoming season. Bennett and Miller would be the feasible options: Bennett is currently making $800,000 at Washington State and Xavier pays Miller $900,000. Pearl ($1.1 million) and especially Pitino ($2.25 million) are on a much higher plane.

How much is IU willing to spend? We really don’t know at this point. What kind of guy are they looking for, the big, sexy hire that brings championship-experience to Bloomington or the up-and-comer that could very well reside in Bloomington for thirty years to come?

Very few people know that. And for the most part, those people aren’t the ones posting every five minutes on a message board somewhere.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
You don't like Izzo or Pitino? They would be on my favorites list along with Rick Barnes. I'd love to have any of the three. Bill Self would be on the "don't like but would take list" though. I'm indifferent on Matta. I'd take him but I have no real feelings either way on him.

I've seen Izzo at some clinics. I can't believe he recruits some of the guys he gets. He's a grade-A pr___. Pitino... well... I guess some things are just unforgivable. :)

Barnes is another one that I don't care for, but would accept. Ditto Ben Howland.

I think Jamie Dixon would be great anywhere. Bennett's going to be great.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd take Pearl over almost any of em. The man could sell ice to the eskimos.

BRM
03-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I've seen Izzo at some clinics. I can't believe he recruits some of the guys he gets. He's a grade-A pr___. Pitino... well... I guess some things are just unforgivable. :)

Barnes is another one that I don't care for, but would accept. Ditto Ben Howland.

I think Jamie Dixon would be great anywhere. Bennett's going to be great.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd take Pearl over almost any of em. The man could sell ice to the eskimos.

I've never met Izzo so I don't know what he's like personally. I definitely like what I see when I watch his teams.

The fact that Pitino is a hated man in Wildcat Nation is all the more reason to like him from where I sit. ;)

I agree with Dixon and Bennett. Those two will be successful wherever they go. Same for Sean Miller. I wonder why Dixon's name never comes up as a candidate?

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 10:04 AM
I wonder why Dixon's name never comes up as a candidate?

Pittsburgh took a chance on him when they hired him. He'd never been a head coach and he'd been under Howland's wing for a while. Those are still the knocks on him. But I would have to figure he's getting out from under Howland's shadow at this point. Dude can coach.

BRM
03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
This is his 5th year at Pitt. I think he's more than proven he's a very good coach.

This is killing me, Dab. Lots of good names out there for the Hoosiers to go after. Man, I hope they get the right guy this time.

BRM
03-26-2008, 10:13 AM

:laugh:

I just caught this line. Nice.

Of the list of candidates I've seen thrown around on the internet, Pearl is my top choice. If they can't get him, go with one of the young guns - Miller or Bennett (Dixon really should be on this list too and I have no idea why he's not).

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
This is his 5th year at Pitt. I think he's more than proven he's a very good coach.

This is killing me, Dab. Lots of good names out there for the Hoosiers to go after. Man, I hope they get the right guy this time.

I just read that Dixon is locked in with Pitt through 2012-13. I'd guess he's getting a nice pay day from them as well.

LSU and South Carolina are interesting as well. Sounds like Anthony Grant and Jeff Capel are still the top candidates at each school, respectively. Both would be solid choices, IMHO.

That would be a serious upgrade to the caliber of coaching in the SEC. Then there's Mark Gottfried... and Jeff Lebo...

BRM
03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I've read in a few places that IU will get support from some boosters to help bring in a big name like Pearl. A booster did pay a significant chunk to make Sampson go away so I can believe it might happen. No doubt a guy like Pearl would bring energy to Assembly Hall.

George Anderson
03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I've read in a few places that IU will get support from some boosters to help bring in a big name like Pearl. A booster did pay a significant chunk to make Sampson go away so I can believe it might happen. No doubt a guy like Pearl would bring energy to Assembly Hall.

Mark Cuban an IU alumnus can pay with his pocket change the right amount to get the right coach.

BRM
03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Mark Cuban an IU alumnus can pay with his pocket change the right amount to get the right coach.

Is Cuban the "anonymous donor" that paid Sampson's buyout?

WVRed
03-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Kentucky had boosters that were supposed to get Billy Donovan into the bluegrass. We all know how that worked out.

Seriously though, I am hoping IU gets Pearl. Not because I want him out of the SEC(he is actually a great coach), but because it would increase Kentucky's chances of getting Scotty Hopson. Although if he did stay in Knoxville and ended up making more than Fulmer and Summitt, I wouldn't mind sitting back and watching the fireworks.

dabvu2498
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Kentucky had boosters that were supposed to get Billy Donovan into the bluegrass. We all know how that worked out.

Seriously though, I am hoping IU gets Pearl. Not because I want him out of the SEC(he is actually a great coach), but because it would increase Kentucky's chances of getting Scotty Hopson. Although if he did stay in Knoxville and ended up making more than Fulmer and Summitt, I wouldn't mind sitting back and watching the fireworks.

Tennessee will open up the coffers pretty wide to keep Bruce around. Ditto Summitt if she wants. Summitt has much less leverage than BP. Where's she gonna go that's gonna pay her more, or even close? Nowhere.

Fulmer has virtually no leg to stand on with the some of the issues they've had. If they hadn't had some of the unexpected success they had last year, he may well have been gone anyway. The vultures are circling anyway.

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/feb/18/ut-football-needs-a-change-at-the-top/

WMR
03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Donovan really turned me off with the way he threw his young team under the bus after they basically played like freshman. That's the refreshing thing about Billy G. No excuses. Doesn't blame his players. Always takes the blame on his shoulders. It's very refreshing. I think it also helps build the "family" that he is always talking about.

BRM
03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Donovan really turned me off with the way he threw his young team under the bus after they basically played like freshman. That's the refreshing thing about Billy G. No excuses. Doesn't blame his players. Always takes the blame on his shoulders. It's very refreshing. I think it also helps build the "family" that he is always talking about.

He sure took care of his A&M family. Texting your team telling them you're leaving? Not very classy IMO.

WMR
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Can't do anything about the past... just speaking about what I've observed at UK.

If I could trade Billy G for ANY coach in the nation, I would keep Billy G. I honestly feel that way. He is going to do great things at UK.

BRM
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Can't do anything about the past... just speaking about what I've observed at UK.

If I could trade Billy G for ANY coach in the nation, I would keep Billy G. I honestly feel that way. He is going to do great things at UK.

I'm glad you love your coach like that. It's cool. Me? I'd take Billy D. in a heartbeat over Billy G.

BRM
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Next up at insidethehall.com, Bruce Pearl. I'm throwing a party at my place if they actually land him.

Pros: Bruce Pearl wins, profusely and almost as a habit. In his first nine seasons at Southern Indiana, Pearl never had a season in which he won fewer than 22 games; in 16 years as a head coach, Pearl has won fewer than 20 games only once, in his first season at UW-Milwaukee. He’s won high — at Tennessee — and he’s won low — at Southern Indiana — and he’s blazed a trail of his recognizability and personality at each stop. Pearl can also recruit, largely because he fosters an atmosphere of fun and freedom and runs a fast break system that appeals to young players. In this way, one could argue he’s football’s Pete Carroll — both are uniquely predisposed to understanding modern players and willing to bend to fit those needs. He’s become a star in Rocky Top despite it a). being deep SEC football country and b). playing on a court named after the monolithic women’s head coach. He’s a winner. His nickname is “Brucers.” Also: Illinois fans hate him, and as a rule, I like everything Illinois fans hate.

Cons: First, let’s clear up what is and is not a con: Headbands are not a con. If you’re concerned that Pearl would destroy everything you love about IU basketball because he lets his players wear their personal style on the court, we’ve got worse issues in Indiana than not having a basketball coach.
That aside, there are concerns, most of which revolve around Pearl’s salary. Pearl currently averages $1.3 million a year in base salary plus compensation, a figure one would hope IU could top but which isn’t a given in any athletic department, especially one without Tennessee’s football money to throw around. Other cons include Pearl’s style; where one might see a funny guy full of personality, others might see an overbearing, spotlight-chasing boor. We’ve also heard the impression that some see Pearl as “sleazy,” perhaps because he’s been photographed with young girls, or perhaps because he was regarded for so many years as a snitch.

Bottom line: Pearl is the big splash. If IU wants to make a screamer headline of a hire and simultaneously re-install a positive cult of personality at the university, Pearl is the go-to guy. He’s not all style, either; his record is that of a proven winner, and after his exile from bigtime college coaching to Evansville for nine years he’s rocketed back to the top of his profession. That’s not a coincidence. If hired, there’s no doubt Pearl would bring plenty of wins — and plenty of entertainment — back to the state of Indiana.

Razor Shines
03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm glad you love your coach like that. It's cool. Me? I'd take Billy D. in a heartbeat over Billy G.

Not me I'd take Billy G. I think he's a great coach. This really doesn't have anything to do with this discussion but WillyMo might think it is funny.

Last year before Billy G had been hired by Kentucky, I was driving home from Texas and I was going through Arkansas and I was listening to a local sports talk show. And at the time Arkansas was also looking for a new coach. The guys on the show were going on and on about how they *knew* that "Billy Clyde" was coming to Arkansas. They were saying how there was no way that Billy Clyde was going to pick Kentucky over Arkansas, "there's so much more tradition at Arkansas", they said. And "Fayetteville has so much more to offer than Lexington". Just on and on about how much better Arkansas was, it was pretty much a done deal that Billy Clyde was comin' to Fayetteville.

I remember thinking that realism wasn't one of the attributes they used to sell that particular show.

Playadlc
03-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Is Cuban the "anonymous donor" that paid Sampson's buyout?

I think it was Mellencamp.

redsfanmia
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I have heard it was a guy named Bill Cook.

WVRed
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Tennessee will open up the coffers pretty wide to keep Bruce around. Ditto Summitt if she wants. Summitt has much less leverage than BP. Where's she gonna go that's gonna pay her more, or even close? Nowhere.

Fulmer has virtually no leg to stand on with the some of the issues they've had. If they hadn't had some of the unexpected success they had last year, he may well have been gone anyway. The vultures are circling anyway.

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/feb/18/ut-football-needs-a-change-at-the-top/

Heres the way I look at it. Pat Summitt is the queen of Vol country. She has won seven, possibly eight national championships to Bruce's zero. Would you want to be the one to tell her that Bruce Pearl is going to be making more money than her? Obviously she would not leave, but I would imagine there would be a ton of friction between her and Pearl.

I agree with you on Fulmer, but to an extent. Most Tennessee fans(and I know one in particular) care about basketball the same as most Kentucky fans care about football. They would pay attention if the team is winning, but the football team is going to sell the tickets in Knoxville.

Let's say Tennessee decided to pay three million a year to keep Pearl. The fans would be clamoring "Fine, now axe Fulmer and pay 3 million per to get a good football coach in here".

If Tennessee pays top dollar to keep Bruce Pearl, it will likely come at the expense of the other programs.

WVRed
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
He sure took care of his A&M family. Texting your team telling them you're leaving? Not very classy IMO.

I don't think Tubby even addressed the team when he left. So in comparison, at least Gillispie did something.

I don't think it mattered either way, Gillispie never commented that he was going to stay at A&M. He was being entertained by Arkansas, but decided to wait and see if the Kentucky job would reach him first. Give credit to his agent for that one.

BRM
03-27-2008, 09:10 AM
And now, from insidethehall.com, Scott Skiles. I hope he isn't really a candidate. Looks like they had a hard time finding any "pros" for hiring him.

Pros: IU wouldn’t have to pay relocation fees; Skiles has a home in Bloomington. Once fought Shaquille O’Neal in practice as a member of the Orlando Magic. Also, he played at Michigan State and was born and raised in Indiana. That should count for something. I guess.

Cons: Zero college coaching experience. Didn’t last long at either NBA coaching job. His brash, impish and downright authoritative demeanor probably won’t make him much of an effective recruiter. Not very fan friendly. Did I mention he has no college coaching experience?

Bottom line: It’s not that Skiles isn’t a good coach; I think he’s serviceable enough. It’s that’s there’s too many other good, available coaches with college experience to seriously consider Skiles. However, it’s about the only name the mainstream media has thrown out as an interviewee for the committee. So who knows. This I do know: If IU hires Scott Skiles, we might acquire the rights to firescottskiles.com and have it redirect here. Please, I beg of you committee, no Skiles to IU.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Scott Skiles would be my worst nightmare if I were an IU fan.

As a UK fan, it sounds like a great idea.

BRM
03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Scott Skiles would be my worst nightmare if I were an IU fan.

Absolutely. Among the names being thrown around, he is by far the worst candidate.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Pay Pearl or pay the price

Commentary by DAVID CLIMER

Published: Wednesday, 03/26/08

This year, it is Indiana.

Next year, it will be a school — or schools — to be named later. With Bruce Pearl, it's not a question of if he'll be courted by another program, but when.

He's done too much in too short a time at Tennessee to escape the attention of athletics directors who are seeking to breathe fresh air into moribund basketball programs.

Pearl has told friends and associates that he expects to be on the short list of candidates for the coaching job at Indiana. Even if it doesn't happen, it's a powerful bargaining tool. On the eve of a second straight trip to the Sweet 16, any threat of losing Pearl should be taken seriously.

UT would have an easier time replacing Rocky Top as its fight song than finding someone to fill Pearl's shoes.

UT Athletics Director Mike Hamilton knows he created a monster. After his predecessor, Doug Dickey, went 0-for-4, hiring either bad coaches or bad fits or both, Hamilton got it right the first time.

Money talks

It wasn't so long ago that the UT powers-that-be fretted over how and when to fire basketball coaches. Now they're fixated on how they can keep Pearl.

My suggestion: Pay the man — whatever it takes.

Like it or not, the world of intercollegiate sports is a pure market system. If you're going to retain an in-demand coach, you've got to keep up with the Joneses … and the Donovans, Williamses and Gillispies.

All of them — Billy Donovan of Florida, Roy Williams of North Carolina and Billy Gillispie of Kentucky — are in the $2 million club. Why do basketball coaches merit such high salaries? Because if you don't pay it, someone else will.

This is tricky business for UT. Pearl is making about $1.3 million this year. His contract has an escalator that bumps it $100,000 each year, topping out at $1.8 million in 2013.

Also, UT is paying football Coach Phillip Fulmer more than $2 million a year while Lady Vols Coach Pat Summitt is in the second year of a six-year contract that takes her to $1.5 million in the 2012 season.

Pay up or shut up

How do you balance Pearl's contract with those of Fulmer and Summitt?

You don't. Forget the old football-is-king refrain.

Ignore political correctness.

You must pay whatever the market will bear to keep Pearl in Knoxville. Granted, football is still the cash cow at UT, paying the majority of the athletics department freight. That's Fulmer's baby.

And despite the continuing excellence under Summitt, women's basketball doesn't generate much income. At least it is operating in the black, unlike most women's programs around the country.

But that doesn't mean there should be gender equity in salaries for the men's and women's basketball coaches.

It could come down to this: If UT is to keep Pearl over the long haul, it might require paying the basketball coach more than the football coach.

Is that doable?

It better be.

http://preps.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/COLUMNIST0202/803260425/1121/ENTERTAINMENT

BRM
03-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Someone get Mr. Cuban on the phone, pronto. IU is desperate.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Someone get Mr. Cuban on the phone, pronto. IU is desperate.

I'm convinced there would be an all-out revolt if UT lets Pearl leave.

BRM
03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm convinced there would be an all-out revolt if UT lets Pearl leave.

Why would I care? ;)

BRM
03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
From the Indy Star:

Question: Have Ebanks and Hollaway been officially released from their commitments? If so, why would the University do that even before a new coach is hired? (Donnie in Memphis, Tenn.)

Answer: Both Ebanks and Hollaway had language included in their National Letters of Intent that said that if Sampson was not the coach that they could be let out of their commitments. It's language that is being included more and more in NLI's these days. So when the Sampson forced resignation came down, both were within their rights to ask to be released. Now, with Holloway I understand he has re-opened his recruitment and still has IU on his list and has said that when IU hires a new coach he would like to visit the university and keep the Hoosiers as a possibility. With Ebanks, I've just heard that he's waiting to see who the next IU coach is going to be and then will make his decision accordingly.

Getting Bruce Pearl would go a long towards keeping these two commitments. Would Miller or Bennett be able to? I have my doubts.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Why would I care? ;)

Cause Mike Hamilton is smart enough to know it too.

BRM
03-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Cause Mike Hamilton is smart enough to know it too.

Money talks. It's going to boil down to is which school is willing to pay the price. I definitely give the edge to UT in that regard.

At the end of the day, I'll be pretty darn happy if they end up Sean Miller or Tony Bennett.

TeamSelig
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Has anyone ever went from no experience to the NBA, then down to college?

George Anderson
03-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Once your in the NBA your college career is over. You can't go back.

BRM
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Once your in the NBA your college career is over. You can't go back.

He was referring to coaching.

BRM
03-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Miller says he's not going anywhere, that the nine-year contract extension he signed a season ago is more than lip service and that he has every intention of not only honoring his contract but establishing a cement-lined foothold in Xavier.

"The grass isn't always greener," he said. "I think commitment and continuity is very important. I know what people say it but I ignore it. That's very easy to do because I am committed to my players and to Xavier."

You can unearth that same transcript on virtually every coach right before he heads to a different address.

Making Miller stick to his words is nothing shy of vital for Xavier. They are on the precipice of something special, of becoming the exception to the nonfootball playing schools. Football money was supposed to kill the private schools that didn't take from the gridiron pot. Instead Georgetown went to the Final Four last year and Villanova plays Friday in its third Sweet 16.

More at ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3314395).

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
More at ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3314395).

Good for Sean.

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
FWIW, I have heard two different rumors today that Pitino will be the next coach. Both rumors said that it was a 7 year deal. I found it a little odd that they both said the exact same amount of years.

I still don't believe it, but hey, you never know I guess.

WMR
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
:lol: That would be hilarious.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Why would that be hilarious?

redsfanmia
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
FWIW, I have heard two different rumors today that Pitino will be the next coach. Both rumors said that it was a 7 year deal. I found it a little odd that they both said the exact same amount of years.

I still don't believe it, but hey, you never know I guess.

I hope not I would have to stop following IU basketball.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Yes, but kinda sad, too.

The man moves around like his pants are on fire.

Who the heck would Louisville get? Pearl? :D

WMR
03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Why would that be hilarious?

Because then the gang-sign-throwin' wanna-be thug Louisville fans would get to know exactly what Kentucky fans felt like.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Insidethehall.com must be profiling everyone. Scott Drew is next. I haven't heard his name mentioned a whole lot.

Pros: In a move that could have turned into career suicide, Drew left Valparaiso in 2003 for Waco, Texas to take over a Baylor program crippled by drug use, violations and the murder of Patrick Dennehy by teammate Carlton Dotson. Five years later, Drew led Baylor to the NCAA Tournament and a fourth place finish in the Big 12. His overall record is not glamorous due to the situation he inherited, but nobody can question the fact that he turned a gloom and doom situation into one of the feel good stories in college basketball. The 37-year-old has strong Indiana ties after spending nine years at Valparaiso as an assistant to his father, Homer, and one season as a head coach before taking over at Baylor.

Cons: Drew’s recruiting tactics were called into question by Gary Parrish of CBS Sportsline (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9612400/1) back in 2006. To his credit, Drew took responsibility for a few of the allegations. However, the fact that a young coach resorted to questionable tactics against a legend like Bob Knight surely didn’t help Drew’s popularity among his peers. Drew has yet to win a NCAA Tournament game as a head coach which is probably a requirement to be a serious contender for one of the premier jobs in America.

Bottom line: Drew is in the discussion because of his ties to the state and the remarkable job he’s done bringing Baylor back to respectability. The negative recruiting stuff may not seem like a huge deal on the surface, but it’s definitely a red flag for a program trying to restore its pristine image. Realistically, he is a long shot at best and that’s probably a good thing due to his lack of experience coaching in March.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Because then the gang-sign-throwin' wanna-be thug Louisville fans would get to know exactly what Kentucky fans felt like.

I figured that's what you were getting at. No matter, Rick isn't leaving U of L for IU anyway.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Ain't nuthin wrong with reppin your hood. Yo.

WMR
03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, but kinda sad, too.

The man moves around like his pants are on fire.

Who the heck would Louisville get? Pearl? :D

:yikes:

WMR
03-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Uh-oh, I might've just flipped Dab's ebonics button.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Insidethehall.com must be profiling everyone. Scott Drew is next. I haven't heard his name mentioned a whole lot.

Who's next after Drew? Rick Stansberry? Charlie Coles?

BTW, I hadn't heard about the stuff mentioned in that article. Didn't know Scott Drew was shady, but he is.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Who's next after Drew? Rick Stansberry? Charlie Coles?

BTW, I hadn't heard about the stuff mentioned in that article. Didn't know Scott Drew was shady, but he is.

Calipari tomorrow morning. I suspect they will have Pitino soon as well.

I didn't know that stuff either.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Calipari tomorrow morning. I suspect they will have Pitino soon as well.

I didn't know that stuff either.

Calipari??? That's rich.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Calipari??? That's rich.

No kidding. I guess they are just throwing names out for the heck of it now.

WMR
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Have they done Isaiah yet?

TeamSelig
03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow, Pitino? That would make alot of UK fans hate him even more :D

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:30 PM

:help:

George Anderson
03-27-2008, 02:32 PM

You know what is sad is I wouldn't put it pass that commitee to consider him.

BRM
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
You know what is sad is I wouldn't put it pass that commitee to consider him.

It wouldn't surprise me.

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
A couple thoughts...

I do believe Indiana wants a "homerun". I think they are going hard after Pitino, Matta and Pearl.

I think if they can't land one of the names mentioned above, they will make a hire that will make everyone in this thread type "WTF?".

WMR
03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Based purely on the prestige and importance of the position, I would rank being the head men's bball coach at IU ahead of all three of the schools where those men currently reside.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
A couple thoughts...

I do believe Indiana wants a "homerun". I think they are going hard after Pitino, Matta and Pearl.

I think if they can't land one of the names mentioned above, they will make a hire that will make everyone in this thread type "WTF?".

I agree completely. I think they definitely want to make a big splash, so to speak, with this hire.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Based purely on the prestige and importance of the position, I would rank being the head men's bball coach at IU ahead of all three of the schools where those men currently reside.

Pearl is doing everything he can to change that. Like I said, he can sell ice to the eskimos. Making mens basketball at Tennessee relevant is proof of that.

What are the facilities like at IU? Because they'd be hard-pressed to be better than UT or OSU. And didn't UofL build a new practice facility? I know they need a new place to actually play games... Freedom Hall is a dump.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Those 3 men would need to win a championship to put their program on equal footing with IU.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd bet against IU landing any of the three guys Playadlc mentions. My money is on the "WTF" hiring.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Those 3 men would need to win a championship to put their program on equal footing with IU.

Pearl and Matta, maybe. Pitino, I don't think so.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, you're probably right, as long as Pitino is at UL, they will be on the same level. If he leaves before winning them a championship, they will go back to being a lesser job/program than IU.

flyer85
03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
My money is on the "WTF" hiring.they tried that the last time.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
they tried that the last time.

The last 2 times.

WMR
they tried that the last time.

Do you root for a team?

dabvu2498

You still think that highly of a program that hasn't won a national championship in 21 years and has only been to the Final Four twice and won only two conference championships since then?

I'm not sure today's recruits give much of a care about all that tradition that resides 20+ years in the past.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Do you root for a team?

Based on his username, I'd say he's a Dayton fan.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Maybe I'm being overly kind... I just see IU as a massive sleeping giant, potentially much larger than UT, UL, or OSU.

Sampson would have built a behemoth there if he hadn't been such slime. The class they had coming in next season was going to be amazing.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Based on his username, I'd say he's a Dayton fan.

Would make sense! hehe.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Maybe I'm being overly kind... I just see IU as a massive sleeping giant, potentially much larger than UT, UL, or OSU.

Sampson would have built a behemoth there if he hadn't been such slime. The class they had coming in next season was going to be amazing.

Yep. It didn't take long for a good coach to completely turn around a program that Mike Davis nearly destroyed.

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Pearl is doing everything he can to change that. Like I said, he can sell ice to the eskimos. Making mens basketball at Tennessee relevant is proof of that.

What are the facilities like at IU? Because they'd be hard-pressed to be better than UT or OSU. And didn't UofL build a new practice facility? I know they need a new place to actually play games... Freedom Hall is a dump.

IU is in the process of building new practice facilities for the basketball program. They are spending $16 million for the basketball facilities, $25 million for the north end zone (football) and $15 million for baseball and softball.

A great selling point for the next coach.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:24 PM

And now the giant's back asleep, while UT and UofL play on in the tourney and OSU gets great recruiting class after great recruiting class without hardly leaving the state.

Also, Sampson's only way of building a quality team may have been via slime. Looking at his past, I'm not convinced he was really all that great at putting a team together. Two trips beyond the Sweet 16 and one conference championship in 20 years as a D1 head coach. Bringing em in and doing something with em are two different things.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:26 PM
And now the giant's back asleep, while UT and UofL play on in the tourney and OSU gets great recruiting class after great recruiting class without hardly leaving the state.

Correct, it is asleep at this very moment. However, the giant would be wide awake and a force to be reckoned with in pretty short order by hiring Pitino or Pearl.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
::shrug:: Comparing those programs based on their tourney progress this season is pretty disingenuous, IMO.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
::shrug:: Comparing those programs based on their tourney progress this season is pretty disingenuous, IMO.

It's easy to pile on while a program is in a bit of trouble.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Dab has a point though in that most athletes today probably don't care about the history of a program. They are most likely concerned about the here and now.

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Correct, it is asleep at this very moment. However, the giant would be wide awake and a force to be reckoned with in pretty short order by hiring Pitino or Pearl.

Pitino?!? Get real. There's less than zero reason for him to leave Louisville for IU.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM

OK... UT has been to back-to-back Sweet Sixteens.

IU made the championship game in 2001-02. Last time they made it to a Sweet 16 prior to that???

1993-94

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
IU is a much better program than UT-K. I certainly agree with that.

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Pitino?!? Get real. There's less than zero reason for him to leave Louisville for IU.

I honestly don't think he will leave either, but I can say confidently that he is interested in the Indiana job.

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I honestly don't think he will leave either, but I can say confidently that he is interested in the Indiana job.

Maybe for his son.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:36 PM

Except no one said that. :lol:

George Anderson
03-27-2008, 03:36 PM

Is this speculation on your part or do you have reliable sources?

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Except no one said that. :lol:

It's certainly being implied. I guess it sort of goes without saying really.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM
It's certainly being implied. I guess it sort of goes without saying really.

Ummm, actually no one is implying that either.

If you're going to troll this thread, you could at least come up with a cogent argument.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM

I am very real but thank you anyway. If you've read my posts in this thread, you will clearly see that I give IU no shot at getting Pitino. And little shot at getting Pearl.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Are they better off right now? If you were an 18 year old stud, where would you prefer?

Better facilities?
More "recent" success?
Better weather?
Better looking women? :) (My wife is a UT grad.)

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Tard fans are the most insecure fan base in the world. You get used to it.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM

I don't see him leaving U of L either.

dabvu2498
Ummm, actually no one is implying that either.

I certainly implied it.

Think about it from a recruit's perspective, not a basketball fan who cares about tradition and crap like that.

WMR
I don't think there's any way Pitino leaves UofL. But if Cuban wanted to throw a bunch of money at him, I think he would leave without a doubt.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Are they better off right now? If you were an 18 year old stud, where would you prefer?

Better facilities?
More "recent" success?
Better weather?

If I were an 18 year old stud, I'd go to Florida. Or North Carolina.

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
If you're going to troll this thread, you could at least come up with a cogent argument.

How exactly am I trolling this thread? I'm just posting in it.

And who the hell needs to make a cogent argument that IU is a better program than UT-K. I find it hard to believe that anyone outside of Knoxville would say otherwise. And I would cheer for UT against IU 100 times out of 100. It's just reality.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I certainly implied it.

Think about it from a recruit's perspective, not a basketball fan who cares about tradition and crap like that.

I think I misunderstood what he was saying. When he wrote UT-K, I thought he was saying UT/UK. I guess he was meaning UT @ Knoxville?

If so, I see what his argument was. If that is true, then I apologize for misrepresenting your argument/position BR.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I think I misunderstood what he was saying. When he wrote UT-K, I thought he was saying UT/UK. I guess he was meaning UT @ Knoxville?

If so, I see what his argument was. If that is true, then I apologize for misrepresenting your argument/position BR.

Yeah. UT-K differentiates it from those other nasty UT's like UT-C and UT-M. Their actual web address is www.utk.edu.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
If I were an 18 year old stud, I'd go to Florida. Or North Carolina.

Excellent point.

Given the current status of the two programs in question, where would you go? (If you can sling down your Indiana bias for a second :) .)

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I think we all know what Satan we're referring to when we say UT on this board.

I thought he was lumping UK into his comments, which is why I thought he was just trolling the thread.

Again, however, my apologies.

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Is this speculation on your part or do you have reliable sources?

I don't want to be that guy, but yes, very reliable. I actually got the information that he was interested very shortly after Sampson stepped down.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Excellent point.

Given the current status of the two programs in question, where would you go? (If you can sling down your Indiana bias for a second :) .)

Depends on who the next coach at IU is. If I was making that choice a year ago while Sampson was at IU, I would go to UT.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Excellent point.

I wouldn't have much interest in playing for a coach who throws his players under the bus.

I think Billy D has done his program some real harm with his antics over the last few weeks.

WMR
03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Depends on who the next coach at IU is. If I was making that choice a year ago while Sampson was at IU, I would go to UT.

Not interested in becoming a complete player I take it?

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't have much interest in playing for a coach who throws his players under the bus.

I think Billy D has done his program some real harm with his antics over the last few weeks.

Is that why Florida has played it's best basketball since then? They have looked pretty good in the NIT.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Sampson would make me a complete player? News to me.

dabvu2498

UT-K looks like it has some pretty complete players running around out there.

WMR
Is that why Florida has played it's best basketball since then? They have looked pretty good in the NIT.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of recruiting down the road. He really came off poorly, IMO.

BRM
03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of recruiting down the road. He really came off poorly, IMO.

I honestly don't think it will hurt him any. Just MO of course.

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Better facilities?
More "recent" success?
Better weather?

Tough call, I guess. Depends on what you're looking for. As an 18 year old kid, you're probably most worried about the things you're mentioning.

If you want basketball "immortality", you go to a North Carolina, an IU or a (excuse me while I thow up) UK. Add Kansas, UCLA and Duke, and that's essentially the list. The coaches are more likely to want that sort of possibility of basketball immortality, and I think that's why they just can't help themselves when those jobs come open (even though I'd argue that the extra pressures and hassles of those jobs usually aren't worth the extra jack).

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
The thing that encourages me the most in this process is that it doesn't appear Indiana is bargain hunting. What has hindered IU in this past is not offering top dollar for their coaches. With reports that Indiana will offer $2.5-$3.0million a year for the next basketball coach, it will definitely put them in position to get the guy they want.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Tough call, I guess. Depends on what you're looking for. As an 18 year old kid, you're probably most worried about the things you're mentioning.

If you want basketball "immortality", you go to a North Carolina, an IU or a (excuse me while I thow up) UK. Add Kansas, UCLA and Duke, and that's essentially the list. The coaches are more likely to want that sort of possibility of basketball immortality, and I think that's why they just can't help themselves when those jobs come open (even though I'd argue that the extra pressures and hassles of those jobs usually aren't worth the extra jack).

That's kinda my point. I'm not sure IU (or UK to some extent, maybe even Duke) belong on that list anymore.

BRM
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
The thing that encourages me the most in this process is that it doesn't appear Indiana is bargain hunting. What has hindered IU in this past is not offering top dollar for their coaches. With reports that Indiana will offer $2.5-$3.0million a year for the next basketball coach, it will definitely put them in position to get the guy they want.

If they are truly willing to pay that much, they can get Pearl. No doubt. Pitino is already making that kind of coin so I still think he stays put.

I really, really hope what you are hearing is correct.

WMR
03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
UT-K looks like it has some pretty complete players running around out there.

No defense.

BRM
03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
That's kinda my point. I'm not sure IU (or UK to some extent, maybe even Duke) belong on that list anymore.

For a coach? Duke definitely still belongs on that list. I think UK does too. IU? I don't know.

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Yeah, IU has sort of worked their way down to the bottom of that list.

I can't see UK coming off that list. Their fans are insane (and I mean that in both the most positive and most negative way possible at the same time). That's always going to be a special job.

gilpdawg
03-27-2008, 04:03 PM

Would you guys still hate him if he left Lou for IU?