PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Hoops

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:03 PM
No defense.

His question to me was IU or UT. Which would I pick if I were an 18 year old stud ballplayer. That's why I said I'd go with UT if it were one year ago while Sampson was at IU.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
For a coach? Duke definitely still belongs on that list. I think UK does too. IU? I don't know.

There are alot of primo coaches that would love the challenge of "rebuilding" IU, I'm sure.

But it's not one of those places where you can bring a kid in the gym, point up to the banners and say "come here, we're good." Cause none of those kids were alive in 1987 and they were only 12 years old in 2002.

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
There are alot of primo coaches that would love the challenge of "rebuilding" IU, I'm sure.

But it's not one of those places where you can bring a kid in the gym, point up to the banners and say "come here, we're good." Cause none of those kids were alive in 1987 and they were only 12 years old in 2002.

I agree. That's what I have no problem with removing IU from Boston's list. I do think UK and Duke still have that kind of draw for coaches.

Playadlc
03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
For a coach? Duke definitely still belongs on that list. I think UK does too. IU? I don't know.

I was actually thinking about this today. What are the 10 best college basketball coaching jobs in the country. This is the list I came up with, in order...

1. North Carolina
2. UCLA
3. Duke
4. (vomit) Kentucky
5. Kansas
6. Indiana
7. Arizona
8. Connecticut
9. Louisville
10. Michigan State

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I love how the vomit reflex hits you and Boston Red every time you have to type "UK" or "Kentucky". :laugh:

Boston Red
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I was actually thinking about this today. What are the 10 best college basketball coaching jobs in the country. This is the list I came up with, in order...

1. North Carolina
2. UCLA
3. Duke
4. (vomit) Kentucky
5. Kansas
6. Indiana
7. Arizona
8. Connecticut
9. Louisville
10. Michigan State

I move UK up to number two and move Duke behind Kansas and ahead of Indiana. 7-10 should be a tie for #7.

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
You forgot Cincinnati and Ohio State. You might get flogged around here for not listing those two.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree. That's what I have no problem with removing IU from Boston's list. I do think UK and Duke still have that kind of draw for coaches.

UK and Duke have alot more guys "in the league" at present time than IU does also.

That's a big draw for kids nowadays too.

As an aside, does IU have anyone other than Jeffries in the NBA right now?

flyer85
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
The last 2 times.not really on the Davis hiring. The way they engineered RMKs exit they painted themselves into a corner.

flyer85
03-27-2008, 05:13 PM
The next IU coach needs to do a better job of keeping the Indiana kids at home.

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:14 PM

He's the only one I can think of but I never watch the NBA anymore. Did Alan Henderson retire?

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
not really on the Davis hiring. The way they engineered RMKs exit they painted themselves into a corner.

True on his initial "hiring". They could have interviewed and hired a good coach immediately following that first year though.

dabvu2498
03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
If I were making a list of 10 ten overall programs, as of right now, in no particular order:

UNC
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Florida (They are back-to-back defending champs for another week and a half.)
UCLA
Arizona
UConn
Michigan State
Louisville

That could change by the end of next week. :)

BRM
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
If I were making a list of 10 ten overall programs, as of right now, in no particular order:

UNC
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Florida (They are back-to-back defending champs for another week and a half.)
UCLA
Arizona
UConn
Michigan State
Louisville

That could change by the end of next week. :)

Good call on Florida. The IU gig is a more prestigious one for coaches than any of your bottom four though.

WMR
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah, IU has sort of worked their way down to the bottom of that list.

I can't see UK coming off that list. Their fans are insane (and I mean that in both the most positive and most negative way possible at the same time). That's always going to be a special job.

Okay, BR, you just made me LOL. You are absolutely correct.

WMR
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Good call on Florida. The IU gig is a more prestigious one for coaches than any of your bottom four though.

I would place IU way above Florida. Anyone have their attendance numbers from this season?

WMR
03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Would you guys still hate him if he left Lou for IU?

Nah, honestly, if he left Louisville for IU it wouldn't change how I feel about Coach Pitino in the slightest. It would just further confirm what I already know: the man worships at one altar, and one altar only: the almighty dollar. And there is nothing wrong with that.

It broke our hearts when he left UK, but any fan who considers himself the least bit pragmatic couldn't really BLAME him for making the decision that he did. Fifty million dollars is fifty million dollars.

What really made him despised by UK fans was then coming back to our biggest rival. That cemented our knowledge that he is a coaching mercenary. Him going to IU wouldn't change anything except provide U of L fans with a taste of what their coach is really all about.

BRM
03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Okay, BR, you just made me LOL. You are absolutely correct.

You being a prime example of UK fans being insane. :p:

WMR
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
You being a prime example of UK fans being insane. :p:

I'm actually on the low-end of insane UK fans. There are plenty of UK fans that even I just can't stand talking the game with b/c they're just totally irrational and illogical. I at least base my insanity in logic (or try to. heh.).

BRM
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm actually on the low-end of insane UK fans. There are plenty of UK fans that even I just can't stand talking the game with b/c they're just totally irrational and illogical. I at least base my insanity in logic (or try to. heh.).

Yeah, you're alright. I was just messing with you a little.

WMR
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Just a little today? What a lucky guy I am. Smell the roses moses.

Maybe since I took up for IU?

BRM
03-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Just a little today? What a lucky guy I am. Smell the roses moses.

Maybe since I took up for IU?

I always go easy on you...

Thanks for taking up for IU though. ;)

Joseph
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Dab has a point though in that most athletes today probably don't care about the history of a program. They are most likely concerned about the here and now.

Just like forever, I bet there are dozens of kids who could care less who was national champions in 1978, but there are those who do follow tradition and go to schools that have a history. IU certainly has that.

redsfanmia
03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
UK and Duke have alot more guys "in the league" at present time than IU does also.

That's a big draw for kids nowadays too.

IU had Bracey Wright and Andre Owens in the league. Cal Cheaney and Alan Henderson retired after last season. Jason Collier would still be in the league but he unfortunatly passed.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 09:06 AM
IU had Bracey Wright and Andre Owens in the league. Cal Cheaney and Alan Henderson retired after last season. Jason Collier would still be in the league but he unfortunatly passed.

Bracey Wright's in Greece. http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=GRE&Team=186

And didn't both Andre Owens and Collier (RIP) transfer away from IU?

cumberlandreds
03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Just like forever, I bet there are dozens of kids who could care less who was national champions in 1978, but there are those who do follow tradition and go to schools that have a history. IU certainly has that.

I know I care who won 1978. UK did! :D It was actually 30 years ago yesterday.

BTW, is Pearl on his way to Bloomington this morning?

BRM
03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Interesting development regarding Sean Miller and IU. From insidethehall.

If you browsed the front page of the World Wide Leader’s Web site today, you might have noticed an article by Dana O’Neil (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3314395) about Xavier and their plans to keep Sean Miller (http://www.insidethehall.com/2008/03/26/ith-super-happy-fun-time-coaching-search-sean-miller/). There was an interesting quote from the Xavier AD, Mike Bobinski and his feelings on Miller being interested in other jobs:

“People mentioning his name don’t have a bleeping idea. He’s on this list at LSU. Oh really? Is there a list? Can I see it? They say his name with teams that I know wouldn’t even cross his lips.”
My first reaction to this quote was that if Bobinski isn’t worried about Miller bolting for greener pastures, then why is he even addressing this? However, the following revelation from Rick Bozich of the Louisville Courier-Journal (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bozich/2008/03/ean-miller-beyond-ius-price-range.html) from earlier today might be a big part of Bobinksi’s confidence in Xavier’s ability to keep Miller:

Word I’m getting is that the last time Xavier upgraded Miller’s contract the school inserted a hefty buyout clause into the package. Like $2 million. For the next few seasons. Xavier is a private school. Private schools are not bound to release contracts upon Freedom of Information requests. But my source says Xavier is tired of coaching turnover. The school has lost Pete Gillen (Providence), Skip Prosser (Wake Forest) and Thad Matta (Ohio State) to bigger schools. Xavier is not ready to lose Miller, a young, determined coach.
If true, I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who believes IU will ante up that kind of money to free Miller from Xavier. IU is not exactly sitting on a ton of cash in the Athletic Department. I believe Michigan paid big money to buyout John Beilein from West Virginia last year, but the Wolverines have the football revenue to dish out big money. IU has no such luxury.

George Anderson
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Bracey Wright's in Greece. http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=GRE&Team=186

And didn't both Andre Owens and Collier (RIP) transfer away from IU?

Collier ended up at Georgia Tech and Owens ended up at the University of Houston. Owens actually is under contract with the Pacers.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Collier ended up at Georgia Tech and Owens ended up at the University of Houston. Owens actually is under contract with the Pacers.

Honestly, I'd completely forgotten about Andre Owens. Name didn't ring a bell till I looked him up.

Always remember Collier though. Broke a backboard on a dunk in high school. Ohio Mr. Basketball in 1996 and played on maybe the best "small school" basketball team I've ever seen at Springfield Catholic Central.

George Anderson
03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Honestly, I'd completely forgotten about Andre Owens. Name didn't ring a bell till I looked him up.

Always remember Collier though. Broke a backboard on a dunk in high school. Ohio Mr. Basketball in 1996 and played on maybe the best "small school" basketball team I've ever seen at Springfield Catholic Central.

Owens went to Perry Meridian High School in Indy and was a teammate of Mike Davis JR.

I forgot about what happened to Collier. I found a website dedicated to him and it really breaks my heart to look at it.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I heard this morning that IU plans to have their new coach in place by next weekend. I won't be holding my breath.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I heard this morning that IU plans to have their new coach in place by next weekend. I won't be holding my breath.

That would indicate to me that it's no one who is still playing in the tourney. :D

Tony Bennett?

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
That would indicate to me that it's no one who is still playing in the tourney. :D

Tony Bennett?

Yep.

Bruce Pearl?

WMR
03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
There is absolutely no way UT could replace Bruce Pearl. They would be seriously screwed if he left.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
There is absolutely no way UT could replace Bruce Pearl. They would be seriously screwed if he left.

Buzz Peterson's available.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Maybe they expect Pitino to be finished by the time the weekend is over?

My guess is they really have no intention of landing Pearl or Pitino. They are probably looking at Bennett or one of the other younger guys like Horn or Davis.

WMR
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I dunno, BRM, I think they have an excellent shot at Pearl.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM

If Playadlc's source is correct and they are willing to pony up some serious dough, then I agree. Dude, I'll be doing cartwheels in the office if they get Pearl.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I have potential candidates classified in 4 categories:

Sure fire:
Pitino
Izzo
Pearl
Bennett's close to this level, IMHO

Safe:
Crean
Stallings
S. Miller

Risky:
Horn
Davis
Stevens

Disaster:
Skiles

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I have potential candidates classified in 4 categories:

Sure fire:
Pitino
Izzo
Pearl
Bennett's close to this level, IMHO

Safe:
Crean
Stallings
S. Miller

Risky:
Horn
Davis
Stevens

Disaster:
Skiles

Sure fire as in they would be very good choices? If that's how you mean it, I agree with your setup.

Skiles would be beyond disaster. The mere thought of that one makes me ill.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Wishful thinking on your part, yo.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Wishful thinking on your part, yo.

If they really are willing to go to $3M per, they can get him.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Sure fire as in they would be very good choices? If that's how you mean it, I agree.

Yes. Sure fire as in, everyone would be happy. There are some other candidates that have been mentioned that fit in these categories pretty neatly.

Brownell would be muay risky. Ditto Drew.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes. Sure fire as in, everyone would be happy. There are some other candidates that have been mentioned that fit in these categories pretty neatly.

Brownell would be muay risky. Ditto Drew.

That's how I thought you meant it. I don't think too many would be upset with Sean Miller though.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
That's how I thought you meant it. I don't think too many would be upset with Sean Miller though.

True. I'd put him at the same level as Bennett.

WMR
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
You're forgetting one category:

BEYOND AWESOME:
Isaiah Thomas

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:37 PM
You're forgetting one category:

BEYOND AWESOME:
Isaiah Thomas

Add Pat Knight and we'll start a list.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
WMR has been removed from my Christmas card mailing list.

The Herald-Times blog weighs in.

All Quiet on the Coach Search Front

Actually, it’s not. But I was an English major, and unless I throw out a literary allusion in the titles of my blog posts I feel as though those years were wasted on less noble pursuits, such as obtaining the best seat on the patio at the corner bar. Which they might have been, but I digress.

There’s been plenty of talk. Everybody is hearing the name Rick Pitino and trying to figure out if it make sense for him to bolt Louisville. Tony Bennett, freshly freed from having to coach in that pesky tournament, is another name seemingly floating on the wind. A good source has told me that Thad Matta is a possibility and that Mike Montgomery is indeed being considered. At the very least, there seems to be more “reaching out” this time around; that is, the larger search committee has allowed for more contacts with potential candidates to be made. Whether those contacts are anything more than symbolic — or, for that matter, whether the Miller High Life Panel itself (or was that the Pabst Blue Ribbon Committee?) is merely symbolic — remains to be seen and, if athletic director Rick Greenspan has his way, never will be.

Silence is the emphasis of the athletic department during this search. After a few early leaks, there was a meeting held for the reason of informing people not to leak info … or else.

A few days later, word of that meeting leaked. From multiple places.

I’ve been trying all week to figure out what is really happening with this hire (which is why you haven’t seen me ’round these parts as much) and though people are giving me plenty of tips — like this one: “There was indeed an athletic department official on the plane that went to South Bend Thursday” — I haven’t been able to put them together into anything that really makes sense.

We’re trying. And we’ll let you know as soon as things start to come together and make some sense.

Revering4Blue
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
One potential snag regarding Miller:

Cal is making a big push for Jamie Dixon, a native Californian, to succeed Ben Braun, creating an opening at Pitt, Sean Miller's alma mater.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
WMR has been removed from my Christmas card mailing list.

The Herald-Times blog weighs in.

Mike Montgomery. Hmmm...

South Bend? Mike Brey??? That would be solid.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Mike Montgomery. Hmmm...

South Bend? Mike Brey??? That would be solid.

You're about to get taken off my Christmas card list too, buddy.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
You're about to get taken off my Christmas card list too, buddy.

Not a Mike Brey fan? I think he's very good.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Not a Mike Brey fan? I think he's very good.

The Mike Montgomery comment is what I was referring to.

I like Brey. I'd rank him below Pitino, Pearl, Bennett, and Miller on the wish list though.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
The Mike Montgomery comment is what I was referring to.

I like Brey. I'd rank him below Pitino, Pearl, Bennett, and Miller on the wish list though.

I think Montgomery would be borderline "disater."

6 years ago, maybe not.

BRM
03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Montgomery? I'd have to become a full-time U of L fan.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Some dude's thought's on who might get the Cal job:

Randy Bennett, who lives down the road and just took St. Mary’s to the NCAAs.

Mike Montgomery, the former Stanford coach who sits atop the wish list of many Cal fans.

Eric Musselman, the former Warriors/Kings coach who has family in the East Bay and is said to be very interested in Cal.

Pitt coach Jamie Dixon, who’s from Southern California and might feel like he has taken the Panthers as far as they can go (which is the Sweet 16 — that’s be OK with Old Blues).

Washington State’s Tony Bennett, one of the hottest coaches in the country. I don’t know if he’d be interested, but Cal had better make the call.

Another call Cal needs to make: Xavier’s Sean Miller.

Yet another call Cal needs to make: San Diego’s Bill Grier. (Would he be interested after only one year at USD?)

Speaking of: I’d expect former USD coach Brad Holland to try to get into the mix (which he’s trying to do at Loyola Marymount).

Same with former Long Beach State/current Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg.

I’d say San Jose State Coach George Nessman, a Cal alum, would be a good candidate, but he’s two good years at SJSU away from being able to land that kind of job.

And here’s one more name to consider, a name that might surprise you: Trent Johnson.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2008/03/27/cal-fires-ben-braun-what-happened-and-what-happens-next/

BRM
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Man, I wish Jamie Dixon was a candidate for the IU job. I've never seen his name on a list of potentials though.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Man, I wish Jamie Dixon was a candidate for the IU job. I've never seen his name on a list of potentials though.

Agreed. He'd be right there with Bennett and Miller on my list.

Vawl boards are all over B. Pearl for playing his son last night.

Cal might have some financial issues hiring a coach, they paid $985k to buy out Braun.

BRM
03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I think they should run Pearl out of town on a rail. Straight to Bloomington. :D

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
So much for Jeff Capel going to USCEast. He's been extended at Okie.

Wonder who is in play for the Roosters now?

To answer my own question, Darrin Horn.
http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/358351.html

BRM
03-28-2008, 02:54 PM
So much for Jeff Capel going to USCEast. He's been extended at Okie.

Wonder who is in play for the Roosters now?

Sampson.

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
From Andy Katz.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk is expecting the suitors to come calling. He isn't certain Indiana will make an effort, but he won't be surprised if the Hoosiers make a run at Washington State's most coveted asset: men's basketball coach Tony Bennett.

A year ago, after Bennett led the Cougars to a second-place Pac-10 finish, 26 wins and a second-round NCAA tournament appearance -- all after being picked to finish last in the league -- Sterk went on the offensive. He bumped Bennett's salary from a league-low $400,000 to $800,000 after Bennett was named the national coach of the year in his first season.

Thursday night, as the Cougars were being blown out by North Carolina in the East Regional semifinals, Sterk said he would make every effort to improve the program. He said he didn't anticipate Bennett asking for more money for himself but possibly for the assistants. The AD said he would do everything in his power to improve their salary situation.

flyer85
03-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Buzz Peterson's available.so is Jerry Green ... or Kevin O'Neill

WMR
03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I simply can't imagine Bennett staying at WSU much longer... it's just the way the sport works.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I simply can't imagine Bennett staying at WSU much longer... it's just the way the sport works.

Agreed. It can't be easy to recruit to Pullman.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
so is Jerry Green ... or Kevin O'Neill

Jerry Green... good coach. Heck of a recruiter. Seemed like a good guy when I met him. Never got the kind of backing Pearl has received at UT.

Ironically, was DBO at Indiana under Kelvin until last spring.

Kevin O'Neill, well...

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:26 PM

I think he'd be the easiest hire of the candidates on the list.

WMR
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Might just be the smartest hire as well.

I'd take Bennett six days a week and twice on Sundays over Pearl.

Can't believe Pearl thought he could go up against one of the best coaches in the nation with his "whoever wants to, take it" offense and expect anything other than the ass kicking that he received.

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Jerry Green... good coach. Heck of a recruiter. Seemed like a good guy when I met him. Never got the kind of backing Pearl has received at UT.

Ironically, was DBO at Indiana under Kelvin until last spring.

Kevin O'Neill, well...

Maybe SC will go after one of the names on your "risky" list. Stevens, Davis, or Horn.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Might just be the smartest hire as well.

I'd take Bennett six days a week and twice on Sundays over Pearl.

Can't believe Pearl thought he could go up against one of the best coaches in the nation with his "whoever wants to, take it" offense and expect anything other than the ass kicking that he received.

It worked 28 other times this year.

But I agree, Bennett may be the "smartest" hire on their list. But I'd rather have Pearl. Dude is Mr. Excitement. I'm not sure Bennett will give the program the energy Pearl would.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Maybe SC will go after one of the names on your "risky" list. Stevens, Davis, or Horn.

The Columbia paper says Horn: http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/358351.html

WMR
03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
His team was flat how many times towards the end of the season? Once you can put on the players. More than one and it's on the coach. And to not even add a few wrinkles when you're going up against Pitino and you know your team hasn't been playing well? Just lame coaching.

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:36 PM
It worked 28 other times this year.

But I agree, Bennett may be the "smartest" hire on their list. But I'd rather have Pearl. Dude is Mr. Excitement. I'm not sure Bennett will give the program the energy Pearl would.

Agree all around. Bennett is probably the smartest hire. He'd be there for a long time and he's a good teacher/coach. His teams are disciplined. On the other hand, Pearl brings instant excitement and energy and he's a superb recruiter. IU would be back on the national map immediately.

Bennett would probably be the better choice for the long term. Pearl is the "quick fix" solution. He would re-energize a fanbase that has been slapped in the face over and over for the last several years.

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
His team was flat how many times towards the end of the season? Once you can put on the players. More than one and it's on the coach. And to not even add a few wrinkles when you're going up against Pitino and you know your team hasn't been playing well? Just lame coaching.

Did Bruce Pearl hit on your girlfriend?

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:43 PM

I agree. Pitino played them like a fiddle last night.

From what I hear he had some dissention to deal with. Playing time issues and the like.

Plus, I hear that they were still going 2 hours nonstop, mostly full court in practice most every day up into March. Dudes were beat.

Pitino used to get accused of doing that as well. Live and learn.

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree. Pitino played them like a fiddle last night.

From what I hear he had some dissention to deal with. Playing time issues and the like.

Plus, I hear that they were still going 2 hours nonstop, mostly full court in practice most every day up into March. Dudes were beat.

Pitino used to get accused of doing that as well. Live and learn.

Pearl was dealing with dissention on his team? That's interesting. I thought he was a popular "players coach".

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Pearl was dealing with dissention on his team? That's interesting. I thought he was a popular "players coach".

Changes in the starting lineup don't go over well this late in the season. Especially when the kid goes from starting to not playing at all last night.

BRM
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Changes in the starting lineup don't go over well this late in the season. Especially when the kid goes from starting to not playing at all last night.

I can see that. Has he given an explanation for that move yet?

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I can see that. Has he given an explanation for that move yet?

Other than that the kid shouldn't have been playing much (at all???) anyway?

Here's all I can find:

The Vols never looked completely comfortable in any half-court sets (and much of that was Louisville's stifling pressure), but Pearl's decision to overhaul his point-guard rotation heading into the NCAA tournament will leave many in orange scratching their heads all offseason. After all, the Vols did win 29 games with Ramar Smith and Jordan Howell splitting the minutes at the point. Howell never got off the bench Thursday and was a mere afterthought throughout the tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?id=3316710

BRM
03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I saw that article earlier.

Hey, insidethehall profiled John Calipari. I don't know why though. I can't imagine he's a real candidate. They profiled Rick Barnes this morning. Another non-candidate.

Here's Calipari:

Pros: John Calipari is a proven, lifetime winner at the collegiate level. His all-time record is 409-135, and while that number is inflated by the easy 20-ish wins Memphis picks up in Conference USA every year, the fact that Memphis is in a position to cruise through their conference so easily is solely thanks to Calipari’s program-building. Memphis doesn’t just run through C-USA — they are a perennial national contender, because Calipari might be the best recruiter in the country.

Once Calipari assembles his talent, his Memphis Attack offense (derived from Vance Walberg’s dribble-drive motion offense) is one of the most exacting, difficult offensive styles in the country. It forces teams to isolate each player defensively and dares them to stop Chris Douglas-Roberts or Derrick Rose from getting to the hole. The notion that players like that might one day be running Cal’s DDM offense in Assembly Hall is enough to make an uptempo hoops fan’s mouth water. (Hint: My mouth is watering.)

Cons: It’d be disingenuous to say Calipari’s near-legendary recruitment process always seems above-board. At the very least, he’s an admitted and open associate of William Wesley, and while that’s not a violation — Wesley’s a “friend of the program,” surely no different from many IU boosters — Wesley also happens to have a strange, iconic relationship with young talent. The upshot of this is that a Calipari IU program would be stocked with the best talent in the country. The downside is a nuclear scenario of someday finding out the creepy ways that talent got there.

Bottom Line: Calipari might be interested in the IU job, and the Hoosiers should give him at least a cursory look, but at the end of the day IU’s squeamishness about Calipari’s recruiting undertones will probably prevent them from getting too serious.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Barnes signed a huge extension last year. He ain't going anywhere.

BRM
03-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Barnes signed a huge extension last year. He ain't going anywhere.

I agree. That's why I didn't post his profile. I really didn't need to post Calipari's either but his was at least an interesting read.

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree. That's why I didn't post his profile. I really didn't need to post Calipari's either but his was at least an interesting read.

I hate all the hype about the DDM. Ditto alot of the other coaching "innovations" in sports. It don't mean anything if you don't have dudes that can go.

I remember the first coaching clinic I went to. Coach K was speaking on zone offense. I thought the answers to all my questions would be provided, I'd have clarity when it came to zone offense, no team I coached would ever struggle against zone again, maybe some money would fall from the sky.

Then I found out Duke ran essentially the same zone o that my high school coach had tried to get us to run.

BRM
03-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Did he at least show you how to teach "the flop"?

dabvu2498
03-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Did he at least show you how to teach "the flop"?

Wojo wasn't there.

BRM
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Wojo wasn't there.

Any floor slapping then?

BRM
03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Someone dropped Anthony Grant's name over on the Herald-Times blog. I haven't seen him listed on any candidate lists either. I'd honestly have to go with Bennett as the favorite right now. Just a wild hunch.

RedR8R
03-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure why so many people want Pearl at IU. In my opinion, the guy wins a lot of games but he seems to let the inmates run the asylum. As a "players coach" he lets them do whatever they want off the court and on the court. His up and down style is too prone for a loss in a tournament. One bad shooting night and your out. Will he win a bunch of games? Yes. Will he take us to the promise land? I don't think so. His type of game isn't good for winning 6 straight games. I don't want a saleman, I want a coach.

redsfanmia
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM
The list should start and end with Tony Bennet. He is a midwestern guy and is a young guy who will be there for 15 years.

George Anderson
03-28-2008, 09:48 PM
The list should start and end with Tony Bennet. He is a midwestern guy and is a young guy who will be there for 15 years.

I like him but I wouldnt put it past him to bolt to Wisconsin if he got the chance.

WMR
03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
You mean you think he'd leave IU to go to Wisconsin? I doubt that. That'd be quite a step down.

George Anderson
03-28-2008, 10:09 PM
You mean you think he'd leave IU to go to Wisconsin? I doubt that. That'd be quite a step down.

Maybe, but he has roots there and the Badgers have been a pretty solid program the past few years while Hoosiers have been clueless.

Playadlc
03-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Jeff GoodMan of foxsports.com says Indiana has officially offered Tony Bennett.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7966020?MSNHPHMA#tb

Hoosier Red
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Goodman's been right at a little less than 40% but I'd be ecstatic if they hired him.

His sources also told him that DJ White was 100% not going to play against Purdue, and that Kelvin Sampson made a bunch of illegal phone calls(oh wait the second one was true?)

RedR8R
03-29-2008, 03:00 PM
ESPN is saying the Bennett report is false and he has not been contacted. They are saying that IU hopes to have a coach hired before the Final Four. Man I hope they don't F this up.

redsfanmia
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
ESPN is saying the Bennett report is false and he has not been contacted. They are saying that IU hopes to have a coach hired before the Final Four. Man I hope they don't F this up.

Greenspan is involved so there is a high possibility that it will be messed up. All they have to do is hire Bennett and things will be fine.

Boston Red
03-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Good. Hopefully this means Sean Miller is out.

redsfanmia
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Good. Hopefully this means Sean Miller is out.

Word is that IU wont pay for Miller's buyout.

Playadlc
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Word is that IU wont pay for Miller's buyout.

No one really knows anything right now. If Indiana really wants Miller, the buyout won't get in the way. There has to be mutual interest, though.

redsfanmia
03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
No one really knows anything right now. If Indiana really wants Miller, the buyout won't get in the way. There has to be mutual interest, though.

True maybe John Couger Mellencamp or Mark Cuban will step up. Personally I dont think Miller has the personality to lead the Hoosiers, Im all about Tony Bennett.

flyer85
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Im all about Tony Bennett.

I heard he left his heart in San Francisco. :D

fearofpopvol1
03-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I think Pearl would make a great choice. I don't think he's the best coach ever, but he's amazing recruitor and I think with his personality, he will reengerize the program that so desperately needs a lift. I think he'd be worshiped in Bloomington.

redsfanmia
03-30-2008, 01:57 PM
I think Pearl would make a great choice. I don't think he's the best coach ever, but he's amazing recruitor and I think with his personality, he will reengerize the program that so desperately needs a lift. I think he'd be worshiped in Bloomington.

He is a used car salesman and is too slick for Bloomington. Tony Bennett or Sean Miller is the way to go.

fearofpopvol1
03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't see any chance that Miller coaches IU.

I think Pearl's level of enthusiasm is pretty much unmatched by any coach and as I said above, I think he would very much be welcomed and embraced in Bloomington. His track record since being at Tennessee is pretty impressive. The word is in Bloomington that they've all but the made the offer to pearl anyway. We'll see if it comes to fruition, but it sounds like it's pretty likely.

BRM
03-30-2008, 02:35 PM
From insidethehall.

As the “blue ribbon” search committee moves to get a coach in place before Saturday’s Final Four in San Antonio, IU fans are gathered at this very blog, other blogs, message boards and water coolers at work commenting about the direction of the program.

There are contrasting opinions on who the choice should be, but there is one consensus: Athletic Director Rick Greenspan better get this right. Nevermind the “search committee.” If this search ends in a decision unfavorable to the Hoosier faithful (see the latest rumors of Lon Kruger and Mike Montgomery), Greenspan, not the committee, will be shouldering the blame. And rightfully so.

Many fans are annoyed and some are downright furious that Greenspan is still employed after the Kelvin Sampson debacle, but he was likely given a pass because of the influence former IU President Adam Herbert had on that decision. There will be no bailing out Greenspan this time around. Not even a 10-person committee will be able to save him. This time, it’s on him to get it right. As it should be.

The fact that IU can’t rely on Greenspan to hire a coach by himself should speak volumes about the confidence those in high places have in him as a decision maker. His approval rating can’t be much higher than George W. Bush. This is the last chance for Greenspan to rectify the void in the leadership role IU basketball has been lacking for quite some time. If he knocks it out of the park, he’ll likely be spared. If not, well, you know where that path will take him.

BRM
03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
A friend of mine has emailed me several times today saying it's looking more and more like Mike Montgomery. You just know they are going to screw this up big-time. It's about time for my second favorite team to become my first. Unreal.

Razor Shines
03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
A friend of mine has emailed me several times today saying it's looking more and more like Mike Montgomery. You just know they are going to screw this up big-time. It's about time for my second favorite team to become my first. Unreal.

I will be super pissed if it's Montgomery. I'd rather go with a young unknown coach like Brad Stevens than Montgomery, if the big names all said no or were too expensive.

redsfanmia
03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Bennett is out per ESPN I think IU will struggle to get a quality coach.

BRM
03-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I will be super pissed if it's Montgomery. I'd rather go with a young unknown coach like Brad Stevens than Montgomery, if the big names all said no or were too expensive.

Same here. Go with Stevens or Davis. Any young coach. I can garuantee the vast majority of Hoosier fans will be ticked if it's Montgomery. I'm already ticked just thinking about it.

BRM
03-30-2008, 10:26 PM
I saw this on the Herald-Times blog.

Boy, I hope the committee is as quick as we are on this stuff.
(Just kidding, Rick.)

So…you remember the whole bit about the third-party contact method? The usage of intermediaries to get messages from school to perspective coach?

Well, Xavier’s Sean Miller has been informed, according to a source, through the back channels that Indiana will find a way to pay the $2 million buyout in his contract if he’s interested in becoming Kelvin Sampson’s replacement.

But, as of this afternoon, Miller had not officialy been approached by anyone from IU.

Which makes sense, since Tony Bennett apparently only just recently gave the answer the committee didn’t want to hear.
Publicly, Miller has already stated that he wants to stay at Xavier, where’s he’s been the coach since Thad Matta left for Ohio State.

““I will be at Xavier,” Miller said after his team lost to UCLA Saturday. “I’m looking forward to coaching at Xavier and continuing on with what we’ve done for years behind me and what we’ve done this year.”

More on this story as we get it.

WMR
03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
isaiah clap,clap,clapclapclap isaiah clap,clap,clapclapclap

WMR
03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Montgomery would be almost as good as Isaiah, but not quite.

BRM
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM

I'll be breaking out my U of L gear with either of those two.

George Anderson
03-30-2008, 10:36 PM
I didn't think it was possible but it looks like once again they are going to screw this up!!

WMR
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll be breaking out my U of L gear with either of those two.

:lol: I wonder what overtures they've made to Pearl at this point.

Revering4Blue
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM

Really?

I'm actually warming to the idea of Montgomery.

http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/montgomery_mike00.html

Again I say, Coach Mike Montgomery is the obvious best choice here. Over 540 wins, 70% winning percentage at a high academic school (Stanford), sterling reputation as having high moral standards and academic integrity, won numerous Pac 10 titles, several 30 win seasons, former National Coach of the Year, NBA experience, fun and pleasing style of play, highly regarded among USA basketball…lots of positives here you guys.

I don’t consider his age an issue. If John McCain can possibly be president at age 72, then Mike Montgomery can be IU coach at age 60. We will need a talented, experienced, well regarded coach, and Montgomery is the guy. He is so highly thought of, it is somewhat likely that the NCAA infractions committee may indeed look at his hiring as proof IU is serious about cleaning up its program.

Ex IU hero Keith Smart would likely come along as an assistant and potential “heir apparent” as well, although that isn’t guaranteed.

Lets also not underestimate the money problem here. Not being under contract to anyone, Montgomery would require no buyout, saving IU potentially millions of dollars.

Montgomery’s style of play and easy going personality would play well with most IU fans, and his ability to recruit to that style would be enhanced by his NBA “street cred.” He would be able to recruit the western US (where he is well known) and by his sterling credentials would get instant credibility from the entire state.

I believed then (and wrote the committee then) that he should have been the hire last time. It’s time to hire the single best coach available, and that is Coach Montgomery.

He wins, wins with class, dignity, style, and he wins the right way. No one gives Montgomery enough credit for winning as much as he did at Stanford, which is an extremely difficult place to coach and win at. It is equivalant to Northwestern in the Big 10, and Coach Montgomery was winning Pac 10 titles and going to the Final Four once. Just imagine what he could do at a basketball mecca like IU!

httphttp://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1858#comments

My only question is if I.U cannot afford Sean Miller's buyout, how can they afford Montgomery?

Boston Red
03-30-2008, 11:17 PM
My only question is if I.U cannot afford Sean Miller's buyout, how can they afford Montgomery?

I don't think Montgomery is really in demand. He can't have too much negotiating leverage.

fearofpopvol1
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
No thanks to Montgomery. The guy has had great regular seasons, but his tournament career is pityful. Far too many times Stanford has been a high seed only to exit the tourney very early.

BRM
03-31-2008, 01:06 AM
:lol: I wonder what overtures they've made to Pearl at this point.

My guess is none. If Montgomery is really a candidate, it is because he'll come at a lower price tag. If they are looking for candidates who will work cheap, I doubt Pearl is even on the radar. Thing is, if they want to go cheap, then I'd rather they rolled the dice on Stevens or Davis.

WVRed
03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
No thanks to Montgomery. The guy has had great regular seasons, but his tournament career is pityful. Far too many times Stanford has been a high seed only to exit the tourney very early.

They made it to the Final Four in 98, only to lose to the Comeback Cats.

BRM
03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
There is one thing that would be practically gauranteed with hiring Montgomery. None of Ebanks, Holloway, Crawford, or Bassett would be playing for the Hoosiers next year.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Sounds like Pearl is going to stay at UT. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/sports/ncaabasketball/30ncaa.html?ref=sports

Also, my dark, darkhorse candidate for the IU job got hired at TCU. That would be Jim Christian from Kent St.

Boston Red
03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Kent State to TCU seems like an odd career move. They must have ponied up a bunch of cash.

BRM
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I keep seeing Brad Brownell's name popping out now as well. I don't know how to feel about that one.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
I keep seeing Brad Brownell's name popping out now as well. I don't know how to feel about that one.

He's good. Verrrrrry good. Ready for IU? Dunno about that.

But the man can coach the game. I look at what they accoplished this year with the guys they had. Pretty amazing.

BTW, Geno Ford will get the Kent State job. He'll be a good one as well.

BRM
03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Insidethehall says some good things about Brownell. Also, like Dab, questions if he's ready for the big-time.

Pros: At first glance, Brownell might not look like much of a candidate to be the next Indiana coach. He’s never won a game in the NCAA Tournament (he’s 0-3) and his head coaching gigs to date are at UNC-Wilmington and Wright State. However, he’s won 20+ games in two consecutive seasons as the lead man in Dayton including taking the Raiders to their first NCAA bid since 1993 a season ago. The 39-year old Brownell was born in Evansville and graduated from Harrison high school where he was a teammate of Calbert Cheaney. His career record sits at 127-60.

Cons: Based on name value, Brownell probably won’t excite many IU fans and his hiring could get a head scratching reaction from the national media. His record is more than adequate, but will it translate from the mid-major level to the Big Ten? I’m not sure a NCAA Tournament win is a prerequisite to land the job, but Brownell won’t get any points from the committee in that department.

Bottom line: While he’s probably a sleeper to land in Bloomington, there’s no doubt Brownell would be interested in the opportunity and his record indicates he could succeed. The quick turnaround he’s orchestrated at Wright State is impressive and at 39, he’s young enough to build the program for the long haul. At the minimum, if the committee decides to interview multiple candidates, Brownell deserves a shot to say his piece.

BRM
03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Also, Bassett and Ellis both say they want to stay at Indiana but are waiting on the new coach.

Armon Bassett and Jemarcus Ellis are still on Indiana’s basketball team, but have had discussions recently about leaving IU.

Following a report Sunday night that Bassett and Ellis may transfer from Indiana, basketball spokesman J.D. Campbell indicated Monday morning that any conversations with the players about their future at IU are still ongoing.

“I don’t think they have finished end of season meetings yet so status unchanged,” Campbell said in a text message.

Henry Wofford of WTHR Channel 13 news reported Sunday night (http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8091959&nav=menu188_4_4_1) that Bassett and Ellis, according to sources, would be leaving IU’s program, but former IU basketball player A.J. Ratliff on the same broadcast disagreed with that report saying the two players have been thinking about transferring, but they still want to stay at Indiana.

“They are to meet with the coaches and staff because they were talking about transferring,” said Ratliff, who left IU’s team in mid-season for undisclosed personal problems and is now working as a basketball analyst for WTHR.

“They told me they were kind of skeptical about the coaching change and thinking about leaving,” Ratliff said. “But going to meet with the coaching staff (today) and get everything situated. But they do want to stay at Indiana.”

Heath
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM

Sounds like a perfect candidate in Bloomington.
;)

Wonder if Bob McKilllop got a call?

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Insidethehall says some good things about Brownell. Also, like Dab, questions if he's ready for the big-time.

He's 0-3 in the NCAA tourney, but one of those 3 was an almost monumental upset (2 vs 15 seed, IIRC) by his UNC-Wilmington team against Maryland about 4 years ago. Maryland hit a 30 foot running prayer to beat em.

John Goldsberry (Vandalia-Butler HS) hit 8-8 3 pointers that day. It was quite a remarkable game. Maybe the best NCAA game I've seen in person, save WKU-Drake this year.

OK, enough about that.

Boston Red
03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Wonder if Bob McKilllop got a call?

Maybe if Curry was part of the deal. Ten days ago a McKillop coached team had NEVER beaten a ranked opponent.

BRM
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
He's 0-3 in the NCAA tourney, but one of those 3 was an almost monumental upset (2 vs 15 seed, IIRC) by his UNC-Wilmington team against Maryland about 4 years ago. Maryland hit a 30 foot running prayer to beat em.

John Goldsberry (Vandalia-Butler HS) hit 8-8 3 pointers that day. It was quite a remarkable game. Maybe the best NCAA game I've seen in person, save WKU-Drake this year.

OK, enough about that.

I'd rather give Brownell a shot than go with Montgomery.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd rather give Brownell a shot than go with Montgomery.

Absolutely. Especially because of his Indiana ties.

BRM
03-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Absolutely. Especially because of his Indiana ties.

I don't know if he'd be able to keep Ebanks but he may be able to convince the current players to stick around.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't know if he'd be able to keep Ebanks but he may be able to convince the current players to stick around.

Article written by a Dayton columnist back in February suggesting Brownell for the IU job:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/throughthearch/entries/2008/02/16/brad_brownell_at_iu.html

BRM
03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Good article. The writer throws Dixon's name out too. Honestly, why wouldn't IU at least get in contact with Dixon? Maybe they are? Who knows what the "PBR" committee is thinking.

BRM
03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I read somewhere over the weekend that Crean has expressed interest but no one from IU has contacted him. I don't know how reliable that info is because I don't remember where I read it. At this point though, who knows what is reliable and what isn't. I still think we will get the "WTF" hire on Thursday.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
I read somewhere over the weekend that Crean has expressed interest but no one from IU has contacted him. I don't know how reliable that info is because I don't remember where I read it. At this point though, who knows what is reliable and what isn't. I still think we will get the "WTF" hire on Thursday.

Steve Alford.

Heath
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Steve Alford.

and pass on Isaiah?

I think it's Tony Bennett's to lose.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
and pass on Isaiah?

I think it's Tony Bennett's to lose.

He doesn't want it... allegedly.

BRM
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Steve Alford.

That would qualify as "WTF".

Bennett reportedly told IU "no thanks".

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
That would qualify as "WTF".

Bennett reportedly told IU "no thanks".

Mike Anderson

BRM
03-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Why Mike Anderson?

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Why Mike Anderson?

That would be another WTF.

BRM
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
I figured that's what you meant.

They supposedly plan on having the new coach in place by Thursday. We'll see.

WMR
03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm hearing Saul Smith.

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm hearing Saul Smith.

Do you hate me or something?

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Do you hate me or something?

He's hearing Saul Smith as a replacement for Billy G. when Billy leaves to take the job at Providence.

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
And now, Anthony Grant. ITH is very high on him.

Pros: The 40-year old Grant spent 10 years with Billy Donovan as an assistant before accepting the head coaching gig at VCU in April of 2006. At Florida, he was Donovan’s right hand man and was the lead recruiter for many of the players who led the Gators to back-to-back titles. In two seasons at VCU, Grant is 52-14 and in 2007, his Rams reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a win over Duke. Grant would be a long-term solution and his prowess in the recruiting world could help return top talent to Bloomington. In his time at Florida, he helped bring nine McDonald’s All-Americans and four first round NBA draft picks into the program.

Cons: Like some of the other candidates we’ve profiled, Grant’s lack of head coaching experience above the mid major level might be frowned upon by the “blue ribbon” committee. On the surface, he doesn’t seem to have any ties to the state of Indiana or to the Big Ten having played at Dayton and having coached his entire career in Florida and on the east coast. When LSU got rid of John Brady in February, it seemed to be a foregone conclusion that Grant would land in Baton Rouge, but LSU may be heading in a different direction with its search opening up the possibility for IU interest.

Bottom line: If IU decides to go with an up and coming coach, they’d be hard pressed to find a better resume than Grant’s. He was an instrumental part of Florida’s back-to-back national championship and helped Donovan build the program from relative obscurity. Most speculation has him ending up in the SEC, but with South Carolina moving towards Darrin Horn and LSU interest possibly waning, Grant could get a look and some consideration from the decision makers in Bloomington.

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
I saw this little nugget at ITH. Anyone hear Dan Patrick's radio show today?

Not sure how old/new this is. But Bruce Pearl was on the Dan Patick radio show today and pretty much told/asked DP that while IU was once his dream job, why would he leave something he has built that he believes is on par with IU now.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I saw this little nugget at ITH. Anyone hear Dan Patrick's radio show today?

Sounds like something Pearl would say.

BTW, I'd like to amend my Top 10 programs list from last week to include Memphis.

WMR
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
He's high if he thinks UT is on par with IU after a couple Sweet 16 runs.

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Sounds like something Pearl would say.

BTW, I'd like to amend my Top 10 programs list from last week to include Memphis.

Speaking of Memphis, I also heard over the weekend that Calipari was VERY interested in the IU job but the administration had no interest in him. Take that FWIW.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
He's high if he thinks UT is on par with IU after a couple Sweet 16 runs.

From the perspective of most recruits, I'd say he's not too far off.

He's "established" at UT. Go to IU and he's close to starting from scratch.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Speaking of Memphis, I also heard over the weekend that Calipari was VERY interested in the IU job but the administration had no interest in him. Take that FWIW.

$$$

WMR
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
From the perspective of most recruits, I'd say he's not too far off.

He's "established" at UT. Go to IU and he's close to starting from scratch.

Men's basketball will always be the 3rd sister at UT.

Boston Red
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Why on earth would Calipari want to leave Memphis for anywhere ever?

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
$$$

Actually, it had more to do with his perceived "shady recruiting" than money. Unless you meant it was Calipari's attempt at getting more money from Memphis.

flyer85
03-31-2008, 02:31 PM
too bad there isn't a way to bring RMK back to Bloomington

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
too bad there isn't a way to bring RMK back to Bloomington

I'm as big a Knight fan as anybody but I don't want him back in Bloomington.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Men's basketball will always be the 3rd sister at UT.

No offense to women's basketball or women's basketball fans...

But it's still women's basketball.

And some Tennesseans are beating the drum for Bruce over Phat Phil: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803260425

flyer85
03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm as big a Knight fan as anybody but I don't want him back in Bloomington.just yanking you chain. They seem to be turning this into a CF once again. There need to hire someone who understands "Indiana basketball".

BRM
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
just yanking you chain. They seem to be turning this into a CF once again. There need to hire someone who understands "Indiana basketball".

Yes, it looks like a CF again. Dan Dakich understands Indiana basketball...

flyer85
03-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, it looks like a CF again. Dan Dakich understands Indiana basketball...and probably could get it done ... the problem was the administration screwed up and handed him a mutiny. If the players were behind McCallum then he should have been given the assignment. There are a lot tougher jobs than IU.

Brownell would not be a bad choice ... they cannot go around and keep getting this rejections. RMK won recruiting three states, it can be done again with the right hire.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Brad Brownell or Anthony Grant?

That'd be a tough decision... For South Carolina. :)

flyer85
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
If Brownell could turnaround Wright State and win there, he has what it takes to win anywhere. He also defeated Butler 3 times in the last two years.

Indiana kid, took over a program in the basement, had a bunch of defections and wins in his first two seasons. Plus he would crawl on razor blades to go to IU, it really is a no-brainer.

I guess IU has not tired of getting rejected by big name coaches.

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
If Brownell could turnaround Wright State and win there, he has what it takes to win anywhere. He also defeated Butler 3 times in the last two years.

Indiana kid, took over a program in the basement, had a bunch of defections and wins in his first two seasons. Plus he would crawl on razor blades to go to IU, it really is a no-brainer.

I guess IU has not tired of getting rejected by big name coaches.

Brownell's name is coming up more and more on the blogs and from some in the media. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting the job but I think the "committee" will try for another name or two before going to him.

flyer85
03-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Brownell's name is coming up more and more on the blogs and from some in the media. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting the job but I think the "committee" will try for another name or two before going to him.still need to be kicked in the nuts a few more times before they get the picture. They are like Clark Griswold at the black jack table in Vegas Vacation.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Not sure I'd give Brownell full credit for "turning around" Wright State as Paul Biancardi had that pretty well underway as of 2 years ago. Dashaun Wood, Burleson, Pleiman, etc. were all Biancardi guys, and IIRC, Brown and Duggins were both coming to WSU before they hired Brownell.

In fact, if it hadn't been for Biancardi's mess resulting from the Ohio Satte scandal, it's likely Brownell would still be at UNC-Wilmington.

That said, Brownell is fantastic, IMHO.

flyer85
03-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Not sure I'd give Brownell full credit for "turning around" Wright State as Paul Biancardi had that pretty well underway as of 2 years ago. Dashaun Wood, Burleson, Pleiman, etc. were all Biancardi guys, and IIRC, Brown and Duggins were both coming to WSU before they hired Brownell.

In fact, if it hadn't been for Biancardi's mess resulting from the Ohio Satte scandal, it's likely Brownell would still be at UNC-Wilmington.

That said, Brownell is fantastic, IMHO.except Biancardi couldn't win with them. Brownell got ran out of UNCW by a dumber than a box rocks AD. WSU isn't even a step up from UNCW.

BTW, I am pretty sure that Duggins was going to go to UNCW but switched when Brownell took over at WSU. A good coach can win with his own players, a great coach win with someone else's players.

Reminds me of the Bum Phillips quote on Bear Bryant.

He can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can take your'n and beat his'n.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
except Biancardi couldn't win with them. Brownell got ran out of UNCW by a dumber than a box rocks AD. WSU isn't even a step up from UNCW.

BTW, I am pretty sure that Duggins was going to go to UNCW but switched when Brownell took over at WSU. A good coach can win with his own players, a great coach win with someone else's players.

Reminds me of the Bum Phillips quote on Bear Bryant.

My thoughts were that Biancardi had things turned around, relatively speaking, after the depths of the Ed Schilling era.

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm going to keep spouting this in the hopes that I jinx it. IU will go with the "WTF" hire.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm going to keep spouting this in the hopes that I jinx it. IU will go with the "WTF" hire.

Greenspan's going to hire himself.

flyer85
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
My thoughts were that Biancardi had things turned around, relatively speaking, after the depths of the Ed Schilling era.he had brought in more talent ... but they were not winning. Biancardi teams had more talent but were never close to competing for a league title or getting in a tourney.

The Raiders were 14-14(8-8) and 13-14(8-8) in the last two years under Biancardi. Under Brownell they have been 21-9(13-3) and 20-9(12-6).

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Greenspan's going to hire himself.

He needs to fire himself.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:30 PM
He needs to fire himself.

I keep thinking the longer this drags out, the more likely it is that they get Stallings.

The old timers on the Vandy boards are saying it's just like 93 when they lost Fogler to USC when Cremins was supposed to take the job there.

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:39 PM
I keep thinking the longer this drags out, the more likely it is that they get Stallings.

The old timers on the Vandy boards are saying it's just like 93 when they lost Fogler to USC when Cremins was supposed to take the job there.

If Stallings left, would you be happy with Brownell or Grant replacing him?

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Andy Katz saying Bennett might be interested in LSU. Bennett's wife is from Baton Rouge.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
If Stallings left, would you be happy with Brownell or Grant replacing him?

Absolutely.

Here's my "wish list":
K. Davis
D. Horn
A. Grant
B. Brownell
B. Stevens

flyer85
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Absolutely.

Here's my "wish list":
K. Davis
D. Horn
A. Grant
B. Brownell
B. Stevens
I saw on Sportsline where Horn is getting the South Carolina gig.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM

It's official?

flyer85
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Gamecocks to name Hilltopper's Horn coach this week

Gary Parrish March 31, 2008
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Darrin Horn will be formally introduced as South Carolina's next basketball coach later this week, a source has told CBSSports.com.

The South Carolina board of trustees is scheduled to meet Tuesday morning. The source said when the board approves a potential contract for Horn-- which is essentially a formality -- the school will then hold a press conference to unveil its replacement for Dave Odom late Tuesday or Wednesday.

Horn just completed his fifth season at Western Kentucky by leading the Hilltoppers to the Sweet 16.

He was 111-48 in five seasons at his alma mater.

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Andy Katz saying Bennett might be interested in LSU. Bennett's wife is from Baton Rouge.

I've actually seen both. Don't know how "firm" either is.

EDIT: Flyer has the link.

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Absolutely.

Here's my "wish list":
K. Davis
D. Horn
A. Grant
B. Brownell
B. Stevens

Is that in order? Keno Davis is your # 1 choice?

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Hmm... too bad. I either wanted him to stay at WKU or go somewhere I could root for him.

Hard to turn down 750k. Yikes.

Overrated Crean former assistant gets a nice job.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Is that in order? Keno Davis is your # 1 choice?

I'd say Grant, Brownell (I don't like his style of play much), Davis, Stevens.

Heath
03-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Anthony Grant is not going to SC or LSU AFAIK.

BRM
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Overrated Crean former assistant gets a nice job.

:thumbup:

Brownell is your # 2 even though you don't like his style of play? What is his style of play anyway? I didn't see any WSU games.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Anthony Grant is not going to SC or LSU AFAIK.

Providence would be my guess.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
:thumbup:

Brownell is your # 2 even though you don't like his style of play? What is his style of play anyway? I didn't see any WSU games.

Yeah. Dude is good. His WSU teams have played HARD.

They really slugged it out. Lots of games in he 50s. Some of that had to do with lack of talent/depth and alot of the teams in the Horizon play that way also.

Not sure if they played that way when he was at UNC-W or not.

BRM
03-31-2008, 04:00 PM

They really slugged it out. Lots of games in he 50s. Some of that had to do with lack of talent/depth and alot of the teams in the Horizon play that way also.

Thanks. It sounds sorta like the Wisconsin style. It works but I'm not a fan of watching it. I was hoping to see an up-tempo game come to Bloomington. But, I'll take a winner regardless of style.

RichRed
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM

Yep. Hard-nosed defensive style, usually with a deep threat or two and a solid big man, but not a team that would light up the scoreboard.

Playadlc
03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
I am going to make myself look foolish I am sure, but I am hearing the Pitino talks are really heating up.

WMR
03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
It's cool, Masiello can take over at UL.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
It's cool, Masiello can take over at UL.

Wow. I almost pooped my pants reading that one.

BRM
03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
I am going to make myself look foolish I am sure, but I am hearing the Pitino talks are really heating up.

I so hope your sources are correct. I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in southern Indiana if Pitino ends up in Bloomington. :thumbup:

Boston Red
03-31-2008, 04:32 PM

Richard has been looking for head coaching gigs.

BRM
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
IU and UCLA were the only teams with two AP All-Americans. D.J. White made second team and Eric Gordon was third team.

Here’s the release from J.D. Campbell, media relations director for Indiana Athletics:

Indiana senior D.J. White and freshman Eric Gordon were named second and third team All-Americans by the Associated Press this afternoon. They are the first Hoosiers to be honored by AP since Jared Jeffries in 2002. Gordon is the first freshman in IU history to earn first, second, or third team All-American honors.

White averaged 17.4 points and 10.3 rebounds and was named Big Ten Player of the Year. He finished his career ranked 16th in IU scoring with 1,447 points. He also tied for ninth in career rebounding with 748 caroms. He finished second all-time at IU in career field goal percentage (56.2) and single season field goal percentage (60.5). He is the first player to average a double-double (17.4 points and 10.3 rebounds) since Alan Henderson
in 1994 and just the second player to do so in the last 31 years.

Gordon was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year after averaging a league-best 20.9 points per game. He became the first Hoosier to average more than 20 points per game since Brian Evans averaged 21.2 in 1996. His 669 points scored was an IU and Big Ten freshman record. That total was the 10th highest overall in IU single season history. Gordon’s 231 free throws made is the third highest single season total in IU history and his 277 attempts ranked fourth.

Associated Press 2008 Men’s Basketball All-American Team

First Team
Tyler Hansbrough, Jr., North Carolina
Michael Beasley, Fr., Kansas State
Kevin Love, Fr., UCLA
D.J. Augustin, So., Texas
Chris Douglas-Roberts, Jr., Memphis

Second Team
D.J. White, Sr., Indiana
Shan Foster, Sr., Vanderbilt
Roy Hibbert, Sr., Georgetown
Luke Harangody, So., Notre Dame
Stephen Curry, So., Davidson

Third Team
Eric Gordon, Fr., Indiana
Chris Lofton, Sr., Tennessee
Darren Collison, Jr., UCLA
Brook Lopez, So., Stanford
Derrick Rose, Fr., Memphis

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
First time ever no Seniors on AP 1st team A-A.

Chris Lofton? :dunno:

BRM
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
First time ever no Seniors on AP 1st team A-A.

Chris Lofton? :dunno:

Who should get bumped from the 1st team for Lofton? Douglas-Roberts maybe? Certainly not Augustin.

dabvu2498
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Who should get bumped from the 1st team for Lofton? Douglas-Roberts maybe? Certainly not Augustin.

Hi there, Coach Pearl.

There were a half dozen guards in his own conference that had better years than he did. And a teammate (who isn't a guard).

BRM
03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Disregard this post. I'm an idiot.

BRM
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I get it now. You're saying Lofton shouldn't be there at all. I thought you were trying to argue he should be on the first team. Silly me.

WMR
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I think he was saying that Lofton didn't deserve it?

BRM
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
I think he was saying that Lofton didn't deserve it?

I get it now. I'm a little slow today.

too many beers over the weekend....

BRM
03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Alford just signed a 3 year extension with UNM. He's now under contract until 2016.

Playadlc
03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Indy Star is reporting that Bassett and Ellis have been kicked off the team.

Razor Shines
03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Dakich tells Bassett and Ellis: You're gone
By Terry Hutchens
Posted: March 31, 2008Read Comments(9)Recommend E-mail Print Share Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Yahoo Google A A Indiana University basketball starters Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis have been dismissed from the team by interim coach Dan Dakich, according to three people close to the IU basketball program.

Both players missed two prearranged meetings last week. They were told if they missed the second meeting, they would be kicked off the team.

Both players were suspended at some point last season for a violation of team rules.

Bassett, a sophomore, averaged 11.4 points per game last season.

Ellis, a junior, averaged 6.8 points per game.

If that's true, then it's the right move. IU won't be a very good team next year anyway, no reason to keep two malcontents around.

Revering4Blue
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
"HOW DARE HIM!"

Interestingly, that's the tone I'm getting from a lot of feedback today on Tony Bennett's decision not to pursue the Indiana job. It's like people think that this incredibly difficult to believe. How could a second-year Division I head coach, with Midwest ties, turn down a program like Indiana? What does that say about IU? What does that mean moving forward with other candidates? If Tony Bennett doesn't want the job, then who does? I've used the 'sky is falling' analogy in the past but it's not too far from that sentiment today. While I'm hearing the questions one after another in email after email from IU fans this morning, I've got to tell you that from my sideline perch it really isn't that difficult to understand.

Here's my take: There's a couple of things at work here. First of all, I still believe that Indiana is a coveted job with a lot of coaches around the country. I still think that in many ways it's a destination job. To me that's how you differentiate positions. Is it a job that you're taking as a stepping stone to another job, or is it a destination job? I still think IU falls into that latter category. At the same time, I think it's going to take the right individual and the right situation. That doesn't mean IU is going to have to settle for anyone. I think there will be plenty of good candidates to choose from. But when you look at Tony Bennett's situation, I can see exactly why he wasn't ready to jump at Indiana. He may only be two years in at Washington State but he is highly thought of there. He's without question one of the hot, young coaches in the country. And those guys are always on the list for destination jobs. But with all the uncertainty entering the equation at Indiana, it does not surprise me in the least that a guy like that is going to not be ready to leave his comfy situation at Washington State for a place where there are a lot of question marks going in. The biggest are what is the NCAA Committee on Infractions going to decide with regards to the Hoosiers, and for next year, quite simply what players are going to be there to make up the 2008-09 season? So for Bennett to say thanks but no thanks does not surprise me at all. And if he now turns around and gets involved in the LSU job, I don't think people should be all that surprised about that either. His wife is from Baton Rouge and it's probably a much safer move at this mode. A destination job? No, but maybe another step toward that destination job.

I think the current Indiana job really requires the perfect fit. Yes, Indiana needs to hit a home run here. No question. But but my belief is that a fit like that is going to come from the list of more established coaches. Coaches who have had a lot of success at the collegiate level in the past. Guys whose names are already solid enough that they don't have to worry about going to IU and having something go wrong. That's where a guy like Tony Bennett, I believe, could have some reservations. But that's where the veteran coach may not, and I think that's where the search shifts at this point. There are still a couple of good up and coming coaches out there, and perhaps you still take a look in that direction. But I think there are also a lot of quality veteran coaches who would be very happy if Indiana made contact with them in the next day or so. That's just my take.

One report that's out there that I have some concerns about if it's true is that for some reason there's this Thursday timetable that IU is looking at and hoping to have a coach hired by then. Personally, I don't see the need to have it done by then. So often, the Final Four is a great place for a president and athletic director to go and talk with potential candidates. For the most part, all of the coaches there and many a job interview has taken place at that venue in years past. Unless you have a slam dunk hire by Thursday, I would think you would take the weekend and use that to your complete advantage. But again, no one has inquired about my opinion on any of this,

So my message to the IU Nation today is to take a deep breath, don't get too upset about Bennett's lack of interest in the IU job, and just know that this is going to be a fluid situation over the next several days. There will be lots of reports, using unnamed sources, that everyone will have to sift though and attempt to discern the truth. But in the end, my guess is that IU will end up with a pretty good basketball coach to try to get an ugly situation turned back around in the right direction.

That's my thoughts. But now, if you need to vent a little about Tony Bennett or the search ahead, feel free to use this space to get it off your chest.

http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/archives/2008/03/how_dare_him.html

Playadlc
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
If that's true, then it's the right move. IU won't be a very good team next year anyway, no reason to keep two malcontents around.

It may or may not be the right move, but Dakich shouldn't have been the one to make it. It's completely, mind-bogglingly bizarre for an interim coach to kick his two best players off the team a couple days before a new coach is presumably going to be announced. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

George Anderson
03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
It may or may not be the right move, but Dakich shouldn't have been the one to make it. It's completely, mind-bogglingly bizarre for an interim coach to kick his two best players off the team a couple days before a new coach is presumably going to be announced. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I disagee,

If you have a interim boss, does that give you the ok to thumb your nose at their authority?

flyer85
03-31-2008, 11:18 PM
The coach will be starting from scratch, facing scholarship restrictions and possibly a post season ban. Next few years are likely to be tough in Bloomington no matter who is named head coach.

BRM
03-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Next few years are likely to be tough in Bloomington no matter who is named head coach.

It's certainly looking that way.

guttle11
03-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Bassett would look very good in Dayton Flyer blue and red two years from now...

Yeah, I know, it's a pipe dream.

WVRed
03-31-2008, 11:53 PM
The coach will be starting from scratch, facing scholarship restrictions and possibly a post season ban. Next few years are likely to be tough in Bloomington no matter who is named head coach.

Not to mention a three ring circus.

fearofpopvol1
04-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Color me unimpressed with the current list of candidate names being thrown out.

I think IU is going to have to pony up good coin to get in the kind of coach they want. I just am having a very hard time believing than they're going to hit a homerun here. Greenspan is theoretically under a lot of pressure as this is probably his last chance, but as I said, I'm concerned.

It's just very heartbreaking to see your alma mader continue to make bad decisions and I hope I'm pleasantly surprised this time around.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Ugly

A source who wished to stay anonymous and is familiar with the program told the Indiana Daily Student that Dakich went to Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan with a request shortly after the Hoosiers lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Dakich asked Greenspan to remove Bassett, Ellis and two other players from the team immediately for several reasons, including failed drug tests, poor grades and talking back to coaches, the source said.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=50068&comview=1

cumberlandreds
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
IU is going to have a hard time getting a name coach,IMO. It's looks like a total rebuild and there aren't many coaches who would want to take that on.
I read on another board and it's probably not true, that IU has contacted Pitino. Think there's any merit in that? Wouldn't that be something if he did jump ship for IU. He would have then coached at all the Kentuckiana schools.

BRM
04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Bassett and Ellis hope to be back on the team once a new coach is hired.

Jamarcus Ellis and Armon Bassett are off the Indiana basketball team.

For now.

The guards did not attend a full-team meeting today after being informed of their status by interim coach Dan Dakich.
But they are telling teammates that they hope the dismissal will turn into more of a suspension. They plan on maintaining their eligibility in hopes that a new coach will allow them back on the team, according to a source close to the situation.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
excellent test of who is running the ship. IU should tell 'em to not let the door hit them in the ....

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
What a train wreck.

Hoosier Red
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
excellent test of who is running the ship. IU should tell 'em to not let the door hit them in the ....

And the answer is.... Nobody is running the ship

It's probably best not to jump to conclusions here. Also, don't dismiss the notion that Dakich could be throwing guys off the team to a. Prove he's the one in control b. Sabotage the program so no "name" coach would be interested

flyer85
04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
And the answer is.... Nobody is running the ship

It's probably best not to jump to conclusions here. Also, don't dismiss the notion that Dakich could be throwing guys off the team to a. Prove he's the one in control b. Sabotage the program so no "name" coach would be interesteda far more likely scenario is these guys were sabotaging Dakich from day one when he took over. I have no doubt that Dakich loves IU basketball and is doing what he believes is best. There is no basis in questioning his integrity in any of what has happened ... now as for Sampson and some of the guys he recruited, that is a different story.

Is Dakich the right guy to take the program forward? Likely not.

BRM
04-01-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't think Dakich is sabotaging the program at all. There were reports early on that these guys were disrespecting him from day one. This move came a couple of weeks late if the reports are true.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
according to Peegs the frontrunners are Miller/Grant/Brownell.

At this point IU needs to pick one and make it happen, the bleeding needs to stop.

BRM
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM

At this point IU needs to pick one and make it happen, the bleeding needs to stop.

I agree. It needs to happen very, very soon. I can't imagine what '08 recruits Pritchard and Roth are thinking right now.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I can't imagine what '08 recruits Pritchard and Roth are thinking right now.I can take a guess ... and it is not good thoughts.

BRM
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I can take a guess ... and it is not good thoughts.

My guess is it is something like this:

:runaway:

flyer85
04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
You can tell this is being run by a committee. Someone make a decision and then make it reality ... it isn't that hard as long as you are realistic in the first place.

George Anderson
04-01-2008, 11:06 AM
What happened with the Pitino rumors?

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
What happened with the Pitino rumors?

Their ridiculousness finally has set in even for IU fans.

BRM
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
From Terry Hutchens at the Indy Star:

I've had a story up on line for a couple of hours now that cites sources close to the IU basketball program saying that Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis have been dismissed from the team by interim coach Dan Dakich.

The way it has been explained to me is that the players were supposed to have attended a pre-arranged meeting on Thursday, and were a couple of hours late. When they did wander in, Dakich told them that they would have to show up the next morning at 6 a.m. to do some running as punishment. He told them if they didn't show up they might as well clean out their lockers because they would be the off the team.

Neither player showed. End of story.

I've heard varied reports as to whether the players are appealing the decision to the IU athletic department but right now I don't have confirmation one way or the other. So as it stands today, IU could enter next season with a new coach and no returning starters.

A friend just told me that IU was worried at one point about what the NCAA might do to them and what it would do to the program. But this team appears to be imploding all by itself. Can you believe the timing of this one? If this program didn't have bad timing, it would have no timing at all.

A lot of people are going to question whether this was an appropriate action by Dakich. And I think it's a reasonable question.The interim coach has just taken a bold move against two returning starters that would obviously make it much more difficult on the next coach. At the same time, others will argue that this is still Dakich's team and that he needs to do whatever it takes to get the culture turned back around. I just think it's really, really bad timing, but if it's something that couldn't have been helped, and Dakich was basically backed into a corner, then I'm not really sure what else he was supposed to have done.

But it does clearly make you wonder what kind of effect this will have on the hiring of a new coach? The situation was never going to be a picnic, but it's scary right now to think about what possible lineup IU may eventually put on the floor next fall. And if Indiana doesn't hit a home run with this hire, just how far could this program possibly slip in one season?

Believe me, I don't think there's any question that it could hit rock bottom before this is over.

BRM
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Their ridiculousness finally has set in even for IU fans.

This IU fan never believed he was coming anyway. I was hoping, as anyone would be...but never believed it.

George Anderson
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
This IU fan never believed he was coming anyway. I was hoping, as anyone would be...but never believed it.

Next to Bobby K coming back I thought Rick P. coming was almost as ridiculous.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Neither player showed. End of story.it's what happens when a coach with questionable character recruits players of the same ilk. The new coach will be starting over, losing this pair of malcontents is simply not a big deal.

Cronin at UC walked into an situation just as bad or worse and has got it righted in two years.

BRM
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Next to Bobby K coming back I thought Rick P. coming was almost as ridiculous.

I did actually believe there was a chance Bruce Pearl was coming though. I guess he's smarter than I thought he was.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM

There's also a post on there about Stansbury being in the mix.

:runaway:

flyer85
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Next to Bobby K coming backthere is no way RMK would have come back. Knowing Bob he is enjoying watching IU suffer.

BRM
04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Cronin at UC walked into an situation just as bad or worse and has got it righted in two years.

Hoosier fans need to plan on at least 2 years of pain, maybe more depending on who the hire is.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
There's also a post on there about Stansbury being in the mix.

:runaway:I'll trust that Peegs has it right.

George Anderson
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
there is no way RMK would have come back. Knowing Bob he is enjoying watching IU suffer.

I disagree.

I think Bob would have come back under his conditions

The past administration that canned him is gone and he would have loved walking in with a "I told you so" attitude.

Having said that no way does IU nor alot of IU fans want him back.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM

Is IU still facing the possibility of NCAA sanctions? If so, that would make IU's situation far worse.

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM

How is UC "righted"? Didn't they go 13-19 or something like that? I think they're moving in the right direction, but Cronin hasn't got them back on their feet yet.

BRM
04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Is IU still facing the possibility of NCAA sanctions? If so, that would make IU's situation far worse.

They are absolutely looking at possible sanctions. It's most likely going to get much worse before it gets better.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Is IU still facing the possibility of NCAA sanctions? If so, that would make IU's situation far worse.they may lose a few scholarships and get a post-season ban but at this point it really would be a minimal impact because they are not in a position to max out scholarships or compete for post-season play.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
How is UC "righted"? Didn't they go 13-19 or something like that? I think they're moving in the right direction, but Cronin hasn't got them back on their feet yet.going 8-10 in Big East play was a huge leap. The UC that ended the year was light years better than the group that struggled early. They were competitive in the Big East and that included wins over Louisville(road), Pitt, Syracuse, WVU(road) and Villanova.

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
The UC that ended the year was light years better than the group that struggled early.

Not really. They lost like six or seven straight, mostly blowouts to end things. The team that played the middle of the season was pretty good, though.

Based on where UC was five years ago, I have a hard time saying that ship has been righted. I think Cronin will eventually get it done, but he's not really even close yet.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Not really. They lost like six or seven straight, mostly blowouts to end things.
lost 5 in a row but three were road/neutral to GU, Pitt and UConn. They had two disappointing close losses at home to Providence and Depaul. Just shows how tough it is to win in the Big East, there are no easy W's.

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I checked. It was seven straight. It's tough to win in the Big East, but I don't think IU wants to look at a 13-19 UC team as their roadmap to recovery.

BRM
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
The way it's looking now, 13-19 might be a tremendous record next season for the Hoosiers.

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
13-19 looks about five wins too heavy. But UNC won 8 games in 2002 and won a national title in 2005, so 8 might be the number to shoot for.