PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Hoops

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

SunDeck
04-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Was UC dealing with sanctions when Cronin took over the program? Obviously, he was dealing with a program that was in disrepair, but I am not remembering any of the problems that IU has with NCAA.

I think Cronin has done a good job considering what he went into, but I find it hard to compare UC and IU. My guess is, all things being equal, it would be easier to recruit to IU. Being in the Big East has probably changed that somewhat for UC, but it's still the school a recruit chooses and not the league and IU has the advantage of being a pretty nice campus to recruit to. The other advantage I suppose is the perennially hapless FB program, which is second to the BB program at IU. Of course that has also been the case at UC, but the situation appears to be changing in the last couple of years.

BTW, two strong rumors around town:

1) IU is in discussions with a coach who made it to the Elite Eight (I don't know if that means he is in the final four, but my guess is no). That comes from a very reliable trustee source.

2) It's Pitino- I can't see that one myself.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
13-19 looks about five wins too heavy. But UNC won 8 games in 2002 and won a national title in 2005, so 8 might be the number to shoot for.

Good ole Roy. Getting lucky with Matt Doherty's players. :D

BTW, it should be easier for IU to rebuild in the Big 10 than it will be for UC in the Big East or it was for Carolina in the ACC.

They can win some Big 10 games just because.

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM

I still think it's ridiculous, but I really hope it's right. I can go back to being a Louisville basketball fan again if that happens. Plus, it would be an acrimonious enough breakup that we probably wouldn't have to deal with a "Pitino guy" replacing him.

BRM
04-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Elite Eight coaches that did not make the Final Four:

Rick Barnes
Rick Pitino
Sean Miller
Bob McKillop

BRM
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
BTW, it should be easier for IU to rebuild in the Big 10 than it will be for UC in the Big East or it was for Carolina in the ACC.

They can win some Big 10 games just because.

I agree. They could be close to .500 in conference with a pretty mediocre team.

BRM
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
BTW, two strong rumors around town:

1) IU is in discussions with a coach who made it to the Elite Eight (I don't know if that means he is in the final four, but my guess is no). That comes from a very reliable trustee source.

My friend just emailed me the same rumor, only he hears it's Pearl, not Pitino.

This is getting crazy. Just hire someone already.

SunDeck
04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Elite Eight coaches that did not make the Final Four:

Rick Barnes
Rick Pitino
Sean Miller
Bob McKillop

If it's Miller I will buy season tickets to IU games just hold a sign that says "Matta=Miller".

SunDeck
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
My friend just emailed me the same rumor, only he hears it's Pearl, not Pitino.

This is getting crazy. Just hire someone already.

Number one and number two did not come from the same source. I should walk over to Nick's for lunch to see what the news is. Only problem with that is....I may not come back to work.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Va Tech made the Elite 8... of the NIT. Maybe it's Seth Greenberg.

BRM
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Number one and number two did not come from the same source. I should walk over to Nick's for lunch to see what the news is. Only problem with that is....I may not come back to work.

I think my best bet is to stop reading the rumors. I go from angry to happy and back to angry a dozen times a day.

I think I'll just go to Bloomington and slap Greenspan. It would probably make me feel better.

Hoosier Red
04-01-2008, 12:43 PM

You're making me jealous man. The last time I even saw Nicks was after the Bucket game and the line stretched all the way to Indiana avenue. Needless to say it's been a while since I've been in.

BRM
04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Sean Sutton is available now...

Chip R
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
What happened with the Pitino rumors?

They wouldn't let him bring his tailor with him. ;)

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Sean Sutton is available now...

Bill Self back to his alma mater???

BRM
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Bill Self back to his alma mater???

It's funny you mention that. I just heard a rumor (I'm getting sick of those) that T. Boone Pickens is willing to pony up $40M to get Bill Self or Billy Gillispie to come to Oklahoma State.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
It's funny you mention that. I just heard a rumor (I'm getting sick of those) that T. Boone Pickens is willing to pony up $40M to get Bill Self or Billy Gillispie to come to Oklahoma State.

What the heck... dude's already the de facto AD down there... why not???

But Billy Gillispie? Who's he?

BRM
04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
What the heck... dude's already the de facto AD down there... why not???

But Billy Gillispie? Who's he?

Are you trying to anger the masses here?

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Are you trying to anger the masses here?

I assumed they'd want Mick Cronin. :D:D:D

BRM
04-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Sportsline has it now.

Sean Sutton will not return as Oklahoma State's coach next season, sources told CBSSports.com on Tuesday morning.

That's the decision of OSU athletic director Mike Holder, who opted to end Sutton's two-year tenure after a 17-16 season that concluded with an NIT loss to Southern Illinois. That setback pushed Sutton's record to 39-29 since formally taking over for his father Eddie.

Neither Sean nor Eddie could be immediately reached for comment.

A source told CBSSports.com that Holder has long been determined to remove Sutton and make a run at a marquee name with the blessing of high-powered booster T. Boone Pickens, who does not have a strong relationship with the Sutton family. The source said it is unclear who will be OSU's next coach, but that Holder (via Pickens' money) is prepared to aim high to see whether he can lure Kansas coach Bill Self back to his alma mater.

Self played basketball at OSU.

His wife, Cindy, was an OSU cheerleader.

And though it still seems far-fetched that Self would leave Kansas for what is considered an inferior job at Oklahoma State, multiple sources have insisted it's a real possibility, something Self would consider. When asked why, one source flipped the question.

"Why wouldn't he?" the source asked. "If he could get a $40 million contract or something crazy, why wouldn't he do it?"

Some other obvious targets will be Kentucky's Billy Gillispie, though a source close to Gillispie labeled that scenario "unlikely." Anthony Grant of Virginia Commonwealth is also being mentioned, as he is with virtually every major-conference opening.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 01:18 PM
That's crazy.

WMR
04-01-2008, 01:44 PM
STAY AWAY FROM BILLY G, YA OLD GEEZER

:angry:

Heath
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Bill Self wins a National Championship and heads to Stillwater.

Maybe Brian Gregory with his 23-11 record could take his set offense to Stillwater. Hank Iba would be proud.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Bill Self wins a National Championship and heads to Stillwater.

Maybe Brian Gregory with his 23-11 record could take his set offense to Stillwater. Hank Iba would be proud.

Anthony Grant's not coming to Dayton, Mr. H.

What's BG make a year at UD, you think?

BRM
04-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Andy Katz was on ESPN Radio. Said the IU coaching search was "back to square one". Said Bennett didn't want to get thrown into a bad situation. Forde was also on and mentioned Montgomery (puke), Kruger (double puke), and Brownell as the lead candidates.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Andy Katz was on ESPN Radio. Said the IU coaching search was "back to square one". Said Bennett didn't want to get thrown into a bad situation. Forde was also on and mentioned Montgomery (puke), Kruger (double puke), and Brownell as the lead candidates.

Kruger? Lon Kruger? Are you kidding me???

BRM
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Kruger? Lon Kruger? Are you kidding me???

I wish. I've seen his name mentioned in more than one place.

BRM
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Eric Gordon is reportedly going to make his decision/announcement on Monday. As if we didn't already know what he's going to do.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I wish. I've seen his name mentioned in more than one place.

Hmm. I'll be honest. That's awful.

BRM
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Hmm. I'll be honest. That's awful.

No kidding. I can't believe he'd even be on the radar.

Boston Red
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Lon Kruger did a good job at Florida, and he's done a good job in Vegas. I don't think he'd be a bad choice. Not exactly a splash, but he's definitely solid.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Lon Kruger did a good job at Florida, and he's done a good job in Vegas. I don't think he'd be a bad choice. Not exactly a splash, but he's definitely solid.

Wonder if he could find another Dwayne Schintzius?

Heath
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Anthony Grant's not coming to Dayton, Mr. H.

What's BG make a year at UD, you think?

Supposively he made less than Brownell at WSU.

When Tom Crean was at Siena, he interviewed for the UD Job. Heck, Jamie Dixon was the runner-up for the WSU job at one point.

Brian Gregory will not leave unless Tom Izzo tells him to.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Supposively he made less than Brownell at WSU.

When Tom Crean was at Siena, he interviewed for the UD Job. Heck, Jamie Dixon was the runner-up for the WSU job at one point.

Brian Gregory will not leave unless Tom Izzo tells him to.

If that's true, they're getting what they paid for. Although... if Wright had been healthy all year this may have been a special season for them. And to be honest, I've gotten to see them practice a few times. Some of the best practices I've ever seen. He and his staff work hard, have great attention to detail, hold players accountable. Maybe it just all falls apart when there are people in the stands.

Western Kentucky hired Dennis Felton instead of Crean.

flyer85
04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
When Tom Crean was at Siena, he interviewed for the UD Job. Crean was not at Siena, that was Mike Deane, who interviewed for the UD job but took the Marquette job and promptly buried the program. Crean left Michigan State(where he was the top assistant to Izzo) to take over for Mike Deane at Marquette. Crean, Gregory and Deane are all from the Jud Heathcote coaching tree.

BTW, one of my happiest days as a Flyer fan was the day Deane took the Marquette job. Nobody I know around the program wanted him at UD. Kissell stumbled into OP a few weeks later and was saved by fate from killing the program.

Jamie Dixon was the runner-up for the WSU job at one point.instead Paul Biancardi got the job ... oops.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Mike Deane has coached at half the schools with D1 programs.

BRM
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
The Lon Kruger rumors are really picking up steam at Peegs. I give up.

REDblooded
04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
can we please just get Calipari already?

REDblooded
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Eric Gordon is reportedly going to make his decision/announcement on Monday. As if we didn't already know what he's going to do.

I know what he's gonna do. Stay stationary on the wing and choke in pressure situations.

Have fun in the league Bracey Wright.

BRM
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
The UNLV boards are putting it out as a joke. Hopefully Peegs is just screwing with the Hoosier faithful. I hate April Fool's day.

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
The UNLV boards are putting it out as a joke. Hopefully Peegs is just screwing with the Hoosier faithful. I hate April Fool's day.

Vandy boards had AJ Ogilvy leaving to go back and play pro ball in Oz.

SunDeck
04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
can we please just get Calipari already?

I can imagine the Hoosier faithful on that one. You know, he's slick...and from the east coast. And maybe even in the mob. How could he possibly understand Indiana Basketball?

But seriously, I think Hoosiers are expecting IU to stay away from him because he has had some recruiting issues.

BRM
04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a question - would Bassett and Ellis have to sit out a year if they transfer since they were kicked off the team?

Heath
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Crean was not at Siena, that was Mike Deane, who interviewed for the UD job but took the Marquette job and promptly buried the program. Crean left Michigan State(where he was the top assistant to Izzo) to take over for Mike Deane at Marquette. Crean, Gregory and Deane are all from the Jud Heathcote coaching tree.

BTW, one of my happiest days as a Flyer fan was the day Deane took the Marquette job. Nobody I know around the program wanted him at UD. Kissell stumbled into OP a few weeks later and was saved by fate from killing the program.

instead Paul Biancardi got the job ... oops.

Crean...Deane....Jeff Ruland..all the same.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/images/smileys3/withstupid2.gif

dabvu2498
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I have a question - would Bassett and Ellis have to sit out a year if they transfer since they were kicked off the team?

I believe so. I think the only way it can be done without sitting is via "hardship" from the NCAA (Tyler Smith) or if they've already achieved their undergrad degrees.

BRM
04-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I believe so. I think the only way it can be done without sitting is via "hardship" from the NCAA (Tyler Smith) or if they've already achieved their undergrad degrees.

Thanks. I was just curious.

I don't know what to think about the Kruger rumor. There is supposedly an announcement scheduled on WGN radio here in an hour or two, according to "sources". About half of the bloggers feel this a joke and the other half keep claiming it's legit.

BRM
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Anyone watching ESPN News? Threads are popping up everywhere claiming ESPN is reporting that IU has hired Crean.

BRM
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
It's on the ticker. IU is awaiting a signed letter of agreement from Crean.