PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

WMR
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
For Kwame Brown, Jarvaris Crittendon (sp) and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Great player.

Buckeye33
02-01-2008, 05:05 PM
For Kwame Brown, Jarvaris Crittendon (sp) and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Great player.

I am a casual NBA fan, but have been watching a lot this season because of a knee injury to myself, and really believe this trade may have put the Lakers at the top of the western conference.

Once Bynum gets healthy they will have a starting 5 of:

PG: Derek Fischer
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Lamar Odom
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Andrew Bynum

That is the best starting 5 in the NBA. They will also still have Walton, Farmar, Radmanovic, Vujacic, Ariza (when healthy), and Turiaf coming off the bench. That is an 11 player deep roster, that is hard to beat.

I dislike Kobe, but he is damn good and this could be his chance to prove that he was just as important to the Lakers championship run as Shaq was.

On a lighter note, this is a good trade for Memphis as well. I am starting to follow Mike Conley a lot and this will make the Grizzlies better for sure. Gasol did not fit into their new coaches Phoenix type offense. Conley, Lowry, Crittendon, and Navarro is a nice group of PG/SG to build a team around. Add them to Rudy Gay and Mike Miller and you have a good nucleus. Now they need to find a big man who fits into the offense.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-01-2008, 05:11 PM
The Lakers should be VERY tough once Bynum gets back.

As for the Grizzlies, they get a big expiring contract in Kwame Brown, which is always helpful in the NBA. Crittenton I'm not sure why they targeted since they already have Conley, Lowry and Navarro in their current rotation, so I'd expect another smaller deal from them. And the 2 first round picks are always nice for a building team.

RedsManRick
02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow. That makes them title contenders. Great move by LA. I'm not sure that two bottom 10 1st rounders and an expiring contract are that valuable to Memphis.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Wow. That makes them title contenders. Great move by LA. I'm not sure that two bottom 10 1st rounders and an expiring contract are that valuable to Memphis.

I agree, I definitely leave it with a feeling that they were robbed. Especially when considering how close they were to a deal for Luol Deng + others with the Bulls then drop off to this return.

RichRed
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
When did Mitch Kupchak put on some big boy GM pants? Nice deal for the Lakers.

Definitely not the same guy who traded Caron Butler and Antonio Daniels for Kwame Brown, which as a Bullets/Wizards fan, I appreciated.

WMR
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
On a related note: how dumb do the Bulls look for not consummating the trade for Kobe Bryant when they had the chance. Whoever gets the better player in a trade in the NBA wins the trade. Can't believe they balked on giving up freakin' Luol Deng for the best player in the NBA. Stoopid.

Roy Tucker
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Kwame Brown has to rank up there for the NBA player that gets the least out of his ability.

The guy could have been really good, but something didn't happen along the way. Don't know if Jordan stunted his growth or if he's just a turkey player.

Nice deal for the Lakers and makes them a true contender. This year in the NBA has been interesting so far. New Orleans has surprised.

Joseph
02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Kwame Brown has to rank up there for the NBA player that gets the least out of his ability.

The guy could have been really good, but something didn't happen along the way. Don't know if Jordan stunted his growth or if he's just a turkey player.

Nice deal for the Lakers and makes them a true contender. This year in the NBA has been interesting so far. New Orleans has surprised.

He was a timid little high schooler who came into the league with arguably its greatest player ever, whom he idolized to some degree, telling him he was soft, and weak. Some guys would respond by toughening up and proving him wrong. Kwame was, by all reports, sensitive and instead he became more introverted and it indeed did stunt his maturity as a player.

UKFlounder
02-01-2008, 06:28 PM
On a related note: how dumb do the Bulls look for not consummating the trade for Kobe Bryant when they had the chance. Whoever gets the better player in a trade in the NBA wins the trade. Can't believe they balked on giving up freakin' Luol Deng for the best player in the NBA. Stoopid.

I don't think the Bulls refused it. I think Kobe (who is the only NBA player with a no-trade clause) said he would not agree to any trade to Chicago in which they gave up Deng, because he did not want to go to a team that had to trade all its talent to get him.

RBA
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Time to get my Laker clothes out of the attic. ;)

Unassisted
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
The pre-trade Lakers got humbled by the Spurs earlier this season, so it will be interesting to see how this version fares in the Western Conference playoffs. The Spurs don't go deep into the playoffs in even-numbered years, so the Lakers should take their shot now at a title run.

TeamSelig
02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
What a dumb trade for Memphis.

It does show the value of expiring contracts in the nba. Also, I read that the Grizzlies are going to waive Kwame, and he will return to the Lakers.

Memphis should have made LA take on Brian Cardinals contract too (at least).

Memphis PGs
- Mike Conley
- Juan Carlos Navarro
- Javaris Crittenton
- Kyle Lowry

Revering4Blue
02-02-2008, 12:30 AM
The Grizzlies have traded Pau Gasol today to the Los Angeles Lakers for center Kwame Brown, rookie guard Javaris Crittenton, guard Aaron McKie, the rights to Gasol's brother Marc, and first-round draft picks in 2008 and 2010.

Memphis should have made LA take on Brian Cardinals contract too (at least).

Absolutely. I thought that was a sticking point to any deal involving Pau Gasol.

It will be interesting to see what else transpires between now and the 2/21 trading deadline. Where will Jason Kidd wind up? Will the Nuggets be foolish enough to send Klieza and Najera to the Kings for Artest. Time will tell.

NorrisHopper30
02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I am a casual NBA fan, but have been watching a lot this season because of a knee injury to myself, and really believe this trade may have put the Lakers at the top of the western conference.

Once Bynum gets healthy they will have a starting 5 of:

PG: Derek Fischer
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Lamar Odom
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Andrew Bynum

That is the best starting 5 in the NBA. They will also still have Walton, Farmar, Radmanovic, Vujacic, Ariza (when healthy), and Turiaf coming off the bench. That is an 11 player deep roster, that is hard to beat.

I dislike Kobe, but he is damn good and this could be his chance to prove that he was just as important to the Lakers championship run as Shaq was.

On a lighter note, this is a good trade for Memphis as well. I am starting to follow Mike Conley a lot and this will make the Grizzlies better for sure. Gasol did not fit into their new coaches Phoenix type offense. Conley, Lowry, Crittendon, and Navarro is a nice group of PG/SG to build a team around. Add them to Rudy Gay and Mike Miller and you have a good nucleus. Now they need to find a big man who fits into the offense.

Definitely not the best starting 5 in the nba, but they are definitely one of the deepest teams.

The Suns have a better starting 5, Boston, Detroit, New Orleans, Dallas and possibly even Utah.

TeamSelig
02-02-2008, 12:37 AM
LA should move Odom for a Battier or Kirilenko type IMO.

Thought the Marc Gasol addition was pretty funny. I wonder if Pau didn't want to play with his brother for some reason? Marc is hardly a prospect or anything worth of value, so I'm not really sure why he was in it.

Revering4Blue
02-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Here's the scouting report for Marc Gasol

http://sportsline.com/nba/players/draft/1225848

Heck, I'd like to see Kirilenko in a Pacers uniform. But the Jazz have no use for a healthy Jermaine O'Neal, much less an injured one.

New Fever
02-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Definitely not the best starting 5 in the nba, but they are definitely one of the deepest teams.

The Suns have a better starting 5, Boston, Detroit, New Orleans, Dallas and possibly even Utah.

I disagree the Lakers starting 5 on paper is better than those teams. And the Lakers may have the best bench in basketball. The only team with a starting 5 that could compete would be Detroit and their big men are too old. R. Wallace (was one of my favorites a couple seasons ago) only shoots 3's and jump shots now and is way past his prime. This trade is not really fair to the rest of the league. How can you possibly have a defensive game plan against a team like this, they can score from anywhere, anyway you want them to. People saying they are going to have trouble with teams like Golden State and Phoenix don't realize that they have destroyed those teams this year and all they did was add Gasol, they didn't lose anybody.

Redhook
02-02-2008, 08:40 AM
It appears we'll finally get to see the Celtics vs. the Lakers in the NBA Finals again. I'm not much of an NBA fan, but I'd watch every game of that series.

WMR
02-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Gasol is one of the most underrated big men in the NBA. He has really flown under the radar b/c the teams he has played on have not been very good. Watching him with the Lakers is going to be a lot of fun.

WVRed
02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
It appears we'll finally get to see the Celtics vs. the Lakers in the NBA Finals again. I'm not much of an NBA fan, but I'd watch every game of that series.

I agree with the Celtics, but the Lakers are another story.

San Antonio, Dallas, and Phoenix may have something to say. The trade deadline hasn't even approached yet, and there are rumors Shaq and Jason Kidd are on the market.

WMR
02-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Who would want to take on Shaq's salary considering how he performs nowadays? Also: The salaries have got to be within 20% of one another... I don't see how Shaq gets traded.

WMR
02-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I wish the Cavs would find a way to trade for J. Kidd or Bibby. They need a true PG in the worst way. Hopefully ship out Hughes.

TeamSelig
02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Every year the Spurs fly under the radar and every year they consistently win games, and then take over in the playoffs (so it seems).

Buckeye33
02-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Every year the Spurs fly under the radar and every year they consistently win games, and then take over in the playoffs (so it seems).

That usually is true, but even in there recent dominate run they have never won back to back championships. They have won every other year. That seems to be what will happen this year as well. Horry, Finley, Berry, and Elson are alls showing their age and Parker has been hurt all year. Ginobili has been hurt some as well this year.

I would be very surprised if the Spurs could make it through the western conference this season. If the playoffs started today, they would have to beat Utah in the 1st round, Phoenix in the 2nd, and then Dallas, New Orleans, or Lakers in the finals. Good luck.

Unassisted
02-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Every year the Spurs fly under the radar and every year they consistently win games, and then take over in the playoffs (so it seems).People here are worried that they're not going to "flip the switch" and start winning soon enough to ensure a spot in the top 4 seeds of the playoffs. The road to the Finals is a lot tougher if you have to win 3 series without home court advantage.

Parker is out for a few games now, too. They just signed Damon Stoudamire to take over some of the minutes at PG.

TeamSelig
02-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I honestly don't think they will win the championship again, but I was just sayin, they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs

HumnHilghtFreel
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I wish the Cavs would find a way to trade for J. Kidd or Bibby. They need a true PG in the worst way. Hopefully ship out Hughes.

I don't think they need a "true" PG, because LeBron can handle the rock and usually does. They do need a PG who can shoot the ball to save his life though. That's why I think Bibby would be a slightly better fit.

The problem is the Kings want the Cavs to take on some bad contracts in the trade, and the Cavs are already chock full of those.

WMR
02-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I watch a BUNCH of Cavs games, living in Cleveland, Humn. Here's the thing: When LeBron brings the ball up the court, it impedes his ability to get into the position that he wants to RECEIVE the ball in. He is an AMAZING passer, but it seriously undermines his overall talents when he is forced to act as a point-forward.

Buckeye33
02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Gasol had a great 1st game with the Lakers. He had 24 points and 12 rebounds. He hit 10 of 15 shots as well.

All that while Kobe went 3-13 for 6 points.

Lakers still won. Watch out folks, when Bynum gets back the Lakers are the best team in the NBA.