PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Lineup

Degenerate39
02-02-2008, 06:44 AM
What are your predictions for Opening Day's lineup? It'll be tough for Dusty to seperate the starting left handers.

I'll go with:

CF- Bruce
2B- Phillips
RF- Griffey
LF- Dunn
3B- Encarnacion
1B- Votto
SS- Gonzo
C- Ross
P- Harang

If Bruce isn't with the Reds by Opening Day then I'll say:

CF- Freel
3B- Encarnacion
RF- Griffey
LF- Dunn
2B- Phillips
1B- Votto
SS- Gonzo
C- Ross
P- Harang

Ross in the 8th spot is a given. 7th spot should be Gonzo. And the 9th spot will be Harang.

If Bruce isn't around then Freel will be starting Centerfield and batting leadoff.

I'm sure Dusty will have Griffey batting 3rd and Dunn 4th. Maybe vice versa.

Really the only problem I see with the Reds lineup is that they don't have a prominant lead off hitter so they're stuck using Freel, who makes too many outs to be a lead off hitter. They could put Phillips at lead off if they have to but that will hurt his RBI numbers and increase his SB numbers slightly.

Jerry Narron
02-02-2008, 08:52 AM
CF- Hopper
2B- Phillips
RF- Griffey
LF- Dunn
3B- Encarnacion
1B- Hatteburg
SS- Gonzo
C- Ross
P- Harang

kbrake
02-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Prediction for Baker's Lineup:
CF-Freel
2B-Phillips
RF-Griffey
LF-Dunn
3B-Encarnacion
1B-Votto
SS-Gonzo
C- Ross

My Opening Day Lineup
1B- Votto
3B-Encarnacion
LF-Dunn
CF-Bruce
RF-Griffey
2B-Phillips
SS-Gonzo
C-Ross/Valentin

CarolinaRedleg
02-02-2008, 09:22 AM
CF-Hopper or Bruce (Freel will be elsewhere by then)
3B-EE
RF-Griffey
2B-Phillips
LF-Dunn
1B-Votto
SS-Gonzalez
C-Ross
P-Harang

BoCcc2832
02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
For one, Bruce is not leading off. You don't start a rookie at leadoff. It's ludicrous and Dusty Baker isn't that dumb. Also, most of you forgot that BP was very successful in the cleanup spot. Results speak loud.

1. Hatteberg (1B) .394 2007 OBP
2. Gonzalez (SS) 107 hits, 6th
3. Griffey, Jr. (RF) 30 HR, 93 RBI
4. Phillips (2B) 30 HR, 32 SB
5. Dunn (LF) 40 HR, 106 RBI
6. Encarnacion (3B) 145 H, 3rd in the team
7. Bruce (CF) .925 OPS in AAA
8. Ross (C) 17 HR, .399 SLG, .590 SBA
9. Harang (P) 231.2 IP, 218 K, 16 W

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
CF-Freel
2B-Phillips
RF-Griffey
LF-Dunn
3B-Encarnacion
1B-Votto
SS-Gonzo
C- Ross

My Opening Day Lineup
1B- Votto
3B-Encarnacion
LF-Dunn
CF-Bruce
RF-Griffey
2B-Phillips
SS-Gonzo
C-Ross/Valentin

AmarilloRed
02-02-2008, 01:56 PM
CF Freel/Hopper
2b Brandon Phillips
RF Ken Griffey
LF Adam Dunn
1B Joey Votto
3b Edwin Encarnacion
SS Alex Gonzalez
C David Ross

I think Bruce will start the year in Louisville, and be called up in June.

TC81190
02-02-2008, 01:58 PM
CF Freel
1B Votto
RF Griffey
2B Phillips
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
SS Gonzalez
C Ross
P Harang

Stephenk29
02-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Votto - jumping on this line of thinking i think
Encarnacion
Dunn
Phillips
Griffey
Bruce
Gonzalez
Ross
Harang

TC81190
02-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking there is no way Dusty bats Dunn 3rd and Votto lead off. He's too traditional to go with someone as "slow" as Votto in the 1st slot.

fewfirstchoice
02-02-2008, 03:35 PM
1) Freel CF
2) Phillips 2B
3) JR RF
4) EE 3B
5) Dunn LF
6) Votto 1B
7) Gonzo SS
8) Ross C

Valentin C/1B
Hopper OF
Keppinger IN/OF
Hatteberg 1B
Castro IN

1) Harang
2) Arroyo
3) Belisle
4) Bailey
5) Volquez
This would be the best rotation.Put Affelfd in the BP and let the young arms throw in the rotation.This is the best situation for are pitching staff right now.

CL Cordero
RR Weathers
RR Burton
LR Affeldt
LR Bray
RR Majeski(sp)
RR McBeth or Salmon

I think this would be the best possible 25 man roster we could start the season left.Barring that no trades are made and Bruce starts the season in AAA which I think will happen with the way the Reds like to go slow with there prospects..But I have a gut feeling some kind of trade will happen before opening day,at least Im hoping they are.

BuckWild03
02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Freel
Encarnacion
Phillips
Dunn
Griffey
Hatteburg
Gonzalez
Ross
Harang

XU Lou
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
1) Freel/Hopper CF
2) EE 3B
3) JR RF
4) Dunn LF
5) Phillips 2B
6) Votto 1B
7) Gonzo SS
8) Ross C

or

1) Freel/Hopper CF
2) Hatteberg 1B
3) JR RF
4) Dunn LF
5) Phillips 2B
6) EE 3B
7) Gonzo SS
8) Ross C

namichael
02-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm curious to why so many have Dunn batting in the cleanup spot. I'm going to have to agree with BoCcc2832 and say that Brandon will be batting 4th.

Dunn hitting .241 w/ RISP would make me shy away from him batting 4th.

kbrake
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Maybe he hits .241 because he has no one behind him. Let him hit 3rd and have Bruce/Griffey/Phillips or something to that effect behind him and watch him start to get pitched to. Not a good idea to have no protection for your best offensive player, yet we did it for all of 2007.

BLEEDS
02-03-2008, 01:47 AM
If BP or EE are batting second, I'll eat my hat.

1 - the CF, no matter who it is, but probably Hopper/Freel, if Bruce is there, slight chance he moves down, but then who? We have no lead-off candidates. Votto? Gimme a break
2 - Votto, 1B, the only guy with patience on this team not named Dunn. Ideal #2 guy, although Dusty might not think so and give it to a Vet on opening day - like Hatte. Nobody outside of Keppinger is even a candidate for #2.
3 - KGJ. It is pretty much set in stone
4 - BP. Although it should be Dunn
5 - Dunn. Although it should be BP
6 - EE
7 - Gonzo
8 - Ross
9 - Harang, obviously

As for the rest of the season lineups:
When Keppinger starts, he should bat #2. When Hatte starts - which shouldn't be often, he should bat #2.

Dunn belongs just about ANYWHERE other than the #5 hole. Makes no sense to relegate your top OPS guy to potentially the middle of the 2nd inning. He batted well in the #2 hole, and 3 and 4 in his career. He needs more & better guys behind him to get him better pitches to see. Votto/Bruce behind him would help, but then we're back to the issue of 1 and 2 hole guys. We have too many guys who are mashers/free swingers. Good for offense I suppose. When KGJ retires/leaves, we put Bruce in RF, and then we can start a CF-er at #1 - maybe Hopper can continue to bunt/infield single his way on base, because we know he doesn't take a walk.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Krawhitham
02-03-2008, 02:00 AM
CF-Hopper or Bruce (Freel will be elsewhere by then)

I like the way you think

Red in Atl
02-03-2008, 03:59 AM
i like the thing you do
\

chettt
02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Chettt's '08 Opening Day Line-up:

cf - Norris Hopper
1b - Joey Votto
2b - Brandon Phillips
rf - Ken Griffey, Jr.
3b - Edwin Encarnacion
lf - Adam Dunn
ss - Alex Gonzalez
c - David Ross
p - Aaron Harang

kbrake
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Chettt's '08 Opening Day Line-up:

cf - Norris Hopper
1b - Joey Votto
2b - Brandon Phillips
rf - Ken Griffey, Jr.
3b - Edwin Encarnacion
lf - Adam Dunn
ss - Alex Gonzalez
c - David Ross
p - Aaron Harang

Your best offensive player hits 6th and has Gonzalez to protect him. Jerry is that you?

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Given the following lineup:

C-Ross
1B-Votto
2B-Phillips
SS-Gonzalez
3B-EE
LF-Dunn
CF-Bruce
RF-Griffey

We need to hit a LH leadoff because it will make it easier to spread them around in the order. I like Votto leadoff because he will have a high OBP and reports are that he is a pretty good baserunner. I put EE second because he will have the highest OBP amongst RH hitters. Third should be your highest OPS guy, which is Dunn. Next, cleanup should be your next highest SLUG, which in this case I believe to be Bruce. I'd follow him with the RH Phillips, because I don't expect his numbers to be very far off from Griffey. Griffey, sixth. Obviously, Gonzalez hits seventh and Ross eighth, followed by the pitcher. It wouldn't bother me too much to switch Griffey and Bruce in the 4th/6th spots if it will eleviate pressure from Bruce. That's BaseClogger's opening day batting order...

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Your best offensive player hits 6th and has Gonzalez to protect him. Jerry is that you?

:laugh:

Lockdwn11
02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
CF-Freel
2B-Phillips
RF-Griffey
LF-Dunn
3B-Encarnacion
1B-Votto
SS-Gonzo
C- Ross

My Opening Day Lineup
1B- Votto
3B-Encarnacion
LF-Dunn
CF-Bruce
RF-Griffey
2B-Phillips
SS-Gonzo
C-Ross/Valentin

:thumbdown

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
:thumbdown

care to explain what you dissaprove of?

Lockdwn11
02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
care to explain what you dissaprove of?

Well there is a few things... Votto leading off, I havn't seen enough of him to stick him at the top of the order .I wouldn't have Bruce hitting cleanup(I love the guy but he is yet to have his first ML at-bat) not when I have a guy (Junior) just about to hit his 600th homerun.BP hitting 6th the guy is a 30-30 guy I would have him batting higher than 6th.The problem is we don't have a true leadoff hitter in the lineup if Bruce start but I would rather have no leadoff than no Bruce

Lockdwn11
02-03-2008, 04:02 PM
3rd-Encarnacion
1B-Votto
RF-Griffey
2B-Phillips
LF-Dunn
CF-Bruce
SS-Gonzo
C-Ross

kbrake
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Well there is a few things... Votto leading off, I havn't seen enough of him to stick him at the top of the order .I wouldn't have Bruce hitting cleanup(I love the guy but he is yet to have his first ML at-bat) not when I have a guy (Junior) just about to hit his 600th homerun.BP hitting 6th the guy is a 30-30 guy I would have him batting higher than 6th.The problem is we don't have a true leadoff hitter in the lineup if Bruce start but I would rather have no leadoff than no Bruce

Your right we have no leadoff hitter with Bruce in the lineup. Votto is the best option, IMO.

As for the rest of your problems with the lineup. Jay Bruce still has plenty in his bat. I dont care that Junior is approaching 600 homeruns, he is lucky to have 50 HR's left in that bat. Lets not base our 2008 lineup on who was good in 1998.

Brandon Phillips might be 30-30 but he is still a hacker that makes entirely too many outs. 6th is perfect for him.

Lockdwn11
02-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Your right we have no leadoff hitter with Bruce in the lineup. Votto is the best option, IMO.

As for the rest of your problems with the lineup. Jay Bruce still has plenty in his bat. I dont care that Junior is approaching 600 homeruns, he is lucky to have 50 HR's left in that bat. Lets not base our 2008 lineup on who was good in 1998.

Brandon Phillips might be 30-30 but he is still a hacker that makes entirely too many outs. 6th is perfect for him.

Ok thats fine but lets not base it on what never have been either. Like I said I love Jay Bruce and I think he is going to be a great player for a long time but to stick him in the four hole right out of the gate may be asking to much of the kid.

As far as Junior only having 50 left in his bat well lets just say I would take that bet the old has been hit 30 just last year and as for Brandon 6th is perfect for him in your opinion.

DannyB
02-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Maybe he hits .241 because he has no one behind him. Let him hit 3rd and have Bruce/Griffey/Phillips or something to that effect behind him and watch him start to get pitched to. Not a good idea to have no protection for your best offensive player, yet we did it for all of 2007.

I agree and I think it would help Ross if he could get some protection.

My guess for Opening Day

Freel
Phillips
Griffey
Dunn
Encarnacion
Votto
Gonzales
Ross
Harang

My Lineup

Hopper
Dunn
Griffey
Encarnacion
Votto
Ross
Phillips
Gonzales

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I agree and I think it would help Ross if he could get some protection.

It'd be great if we could get him some protection, but you can't possibly want to hit a guy with a .271 OBP any higher than eighth!?

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Ok thats fine but lets not base it on what never have been either. Like I said I love Jay Bruce and I think he is going to be a great player for a long time but to stick him in the four hole right out of the gate may be asking to much of the kid.

As far as Junior only having 50 left in his bat well lets just say I would take that bet the old has been hit 30 just last year and as for Brandon 6th is perfect for him in your opinion.

I think kbrake would agree that we could deal with Griffey #4 and Bruce #6 as long as the rest of his predicted lineup came true, but Dusty Baker probably won't even consider Votto leadoff, which is a shame. Besides, Griffey will get hurt eventually or Bruce will show that he is the real deal and we can move him up to cleanup then...

smoke6
02-03-2008, 10:51 PM
3rd-Encarnacion
1B-Votto
RF-Griffey
2B-Phillips
LF-Dunn
CF-Bruce
SS-Gonzo
C-Ross

I can't see EE hitting in the 1 hole.

Reds Fan Chris
02-04-2008, 01:52 AM
CF- Bruce/Freel
2B- Phillips
RF- Griffey
LF- Dunn
3B- Encarnacion
1B- Votto
SS- Gonzo
C- Ross
P- Harang

Seems like a good start to me. But you never know what will happen so I guess all we can do is wait two more weeks.

Lockdwn11
02-04-2008, 07:04 AM
I think kbrake would agree that we could deal with Griffey #4 and Bruce #6 as long as the rest of his predicted lineup came true, but Dusty Baker probably won't even consider Votto leadoff, which is a shame. Besides, Griffey will get hurt eventually or Bruce will show that he is the real deal and we can move him up to cleanup then...

I would agree that after Bruce gets some at-bat and shows he is the real deal (witch I Believe he is) you could and should move him to cleanup or even 3rd but I just don't think it would be wise to start him off there but thats just my opinion.

BLEEDS
02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
IMO, Votto would be a better #2 hitter than leadoff. He is PATIENT, and is also left-handed, which also helps when your lead-off guy gets on first. He also should be probably the #2 OBP guy on the team.

I too doubt that Mr. Anti-Base Clogger Baker would see that as a benefit though.

Problem with our lineup? Too many HR's, and not enough scrappy slap-hitters.

Come to think of it, is that REALLY a problem?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Natty Redlocks
02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
If BP or EE are batting second, I'll eat my hat.

Did you see any of Baker's Cubs lineups? If Phillips doesn't bat second, I'll eat your hat. "Gotta use that speed, dude."

I also think some people are a little optimistic about how soon Bruce will be one of the best hitters on the team.

DannyB
02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
It'd be great if we could get him some protection, but you can't possibly want to hit a guy with a .271 OBP any higher than eighth!?
Maybe his OBP is 271 from hitting in front of a pitcher.
I would actually like to have a decent hitter in the 8 spot.

TC81190
02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I wish we could get a speedy SS to lead off...nobody in this lineup should ideally hit 1st.

kbrake
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Lets just hope Gonzalez doesn't hit second. With Baker filling out the card every night, I am sure we will see it soon enough.

*BaseClogger*
02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Maybe his OBP is 271 from hitting in front of a pitcher.
I would actually like to have a decent hitter in the 8 spot.

No, his OBP is .271 becuase he is not good at avoiding outs. That is why every team he has ever played for has hit him eighth...

DannyB
02-05-2008, 07:05 PM
No, his OBP is .271 becuase he is not good at avoiding outs. That is why every team he has ever played for has hit him eighth...

Maybe its because he played too many games?

Believe me I wont sit here and defend Dave Ross.