PDA

View Full Version : Your Expectations for 2008 Reds? (500 words or less)

RedFan4Life
02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's mine in 340 words.........

Well being that there aren't slated to be any fundamental changes on this team regarding style of play, starting lineup, leaders or pitching staff....... why should a reasonable person expect results in 2008 any different than have been seen for the last 7 years?

Perhaps pitching improves in 2008 if a few of the young arms start to find their way and the harangs, arroyos etc.. continue to perform. However, the pitching improvement won't be enough to offset the stuck, uninspired, feast/famine, flat everyday lineup..........

Expect Keppinger and Hopper to answer the bell when called. The question his how much opportunity will they get?
Expect the combo of votto/bruce to contribute and show some skills but again what level of opportunity will they get? collectively they might not get enough opportunity to even offset the loss of Hamilton.

Expect Phillips to continue to develop and show himself as a quality player who plays the game with urgency.

Look for more streakiness, inconsistency and overall just average contributions from EE. He will still be able to rip his pitches to LF and still overall be a struggle in the field.

Griff? depends on health... if he stays in lineup expect him to put up .280 BA with some power type numbers but continue to look his years and by 2/3 months into the season have that walk to position look about his game..

Dunn? likely he'll come out of gate relatively strong but by may/june as is his per usual his 3 K games and stranded runners will start to accumulate... overall look for relatively down year from donkey. He'll no longer be described as "relatively fast for a big man" like he was his first couple seasons. he'll start to look every bit of 6'5 300 pounds 8 year veteran (that he is) in field and on bases and may no longer have ability to play thru the injuries he has in the past........

Look for it to be another season of reaching for the .500 mark. Reds finish 75-87.

mlbfan30
02-02-2008, 09:20 PM
.500 +- 0.10

captainmorgan07
02-02-2008, 11:00 PM
2008 for the reds will be another year of improvement for this ballclub. I think they will make it over the .500 mark. Baker will handle the bullpen better than narron did. It all starts with the rotation though. Harang and Arroyo are solid at 1, and 2. Belisle will take the 3rd spot and Volquez and Bailey will have a strong spring and take 4 and 5 spots in the rotation. Affeldt will move into the bullpen and be very effective. Cordero burton and weathers will all pitch solidly in the back of the bullpen. Defensively the reds will play better than they had last year with gonzo playing back to form with his glove. Bakers lineups will have to be one that can be productive. It is all based on who plays centerfield. If hopper and freel start then those 2 will hit leadoff. If bruce plays CF i have no idea who will leadoff. The bench won't be much to be desired from after keppinger hatteberg. Ross i think will improve his hitting this season unlike last. Griffey will remain healthy and Dunn will improve his hitting to all fields and his contact swing.

redsupport
02-03-2008, 03:09 AM
griffey will get hurt

mroby85
02-03-2008, 03:23 AM
griffey will get hurt

really going out on a limb there huh? at least he'll be productive when he plays, unlike some players. (sorry i just get tired of all the griffey hatin) took less money to come to cincinnati, and was injured while going all out, how about some respect for his intentions!

Now, on to the Reds in 08, I really like the way this team is coming together. Really wish we couldve landed bedard because i think the playoffs wouldve been a lock, but since we didn't i still think we have about a 50% chance. need some young guys to develop before our eyes, but ask the florida marlins, it can happen, and no ones prospects are more promising than ours. also the addition of cordero will make this look like a completely different team imo. Baker will also bring a winning attitude, and a winning desire to Cincinnati! Biased? maybe, we'll see!

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd put our chances on making the playoffs around 15%...

GoReds33
02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd put our chances on making the playoffs around 15%...I'm going to go a little further on your prediction. IF we are competing midseason, and are atleast a couple games out of the division or wild card, we'll make a trade for somebody. So I would say that if we are competing midseason, we'll be in a great position to go to the playoffs.

*BaseClogger*
02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm going to go a little further on your prediction. IF we are competing midseason, and are atleast a couple games out of the division or wild card, we'll make a trade for somebody. So I would say that if we are competing midseason, we'll be in a great position to go to the playoffs.

ahh... the beauty of having a strong farm system...

XU Lou
02-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd put our chances on making the playoffs around 15%...

Given the division and improved pen I would put the chances at 25%, however I agree that a mid-season trade would alter that assessment...to the positive.

kentjett
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Maloney would be perfect trade bait in the middle of the season.

UPRedsFan
02-03-2008, 05:31 PM
The Reds will have surprisingly good pitching and vault into the top 5 in the NL for overall team ERA.

Cueto will outpitch Volquez and Bailey in the spring and will be the 5th starter at the beginning of the year. Belisle will take a step forward as a solid #3 with an ERA well below 5. Affeldt gets pushed to the bullpen and combines with Bray, Burton and Weathers to lock down games after 6 innings and get them to Cordero in the 9th.

September will be fun again!

EddieMilner
02-03-2008, 06:13 PM
The Reds will have surprisingly good pitching and vault into the top 5 in the NL for overall team ERA.

Cueto will outpitch Volquez and Bailey in the spring and will be the 5th starter at the beginning of the year. Belisle will take a step forward as a solid #3 with an ERA well below 5. Affeldt gets pushed to the bullpen and combines with Bray, Burton and Weathers to lock down games after 6 innings and get them to Cordero in the 9th.

September will be fun again!

I am not trying to be a jerk here, seriously asking a question. If Cueto outpitches Volquez and Bailey and is the #5 starter, Belisle is a solid # 3, and Affeldt is in the bullpen; then who is our #4?

ChatterRed
02-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Slightly better. ;)

UPRedsFan
02-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I am not trying to be a jerk here, seriously asking a question. If Cueto outpitches Volquez and Bailey and is the #5 starter, Belisle is a solid # 3, and Affeldt is in the bullpen; then who is our #4?

I think Affeldt will start the season as #4. They did promise him a shot at the rotation when he agreed to sign. But I think by midseason Volquez or Bailey will force their way into the rotation and push Affeldt to the pen.

Newman4
02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Yuck, the "500 words or less" title is a little too English Teacher-ish for me!

gedred69
02-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I like this thread, a lot of positive yet realistic observation(s). If I may offer, as in years past there are a bunch of ifs. Up side is, the ifs are more realistic. What if Votto is what he showed in Sept. for example? I watched him in ST, and said "Jeez, this guy's got nothing left to prove! Bailey has to stink in ST to not be in the rotation, and if he has hopefully learned from his exposure last season? What if he is good? What are the reservations of a healthy Bray? What if Bruce wows everybody in ST? What if EE becomes what he has shown the capability to be? What if BP continues to show the ability to be the 2nd coming of little Joe? If the pieces fall together, we could smile in Oct. If not, I hope we at least top .500

*BaseClogger*
02-04-2008, 11:04 PM
In the spirit of keeping this oh-so-positive thread going, I pose another question:

What player's potential success are you most excited about?

Bip Roberts
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
In the spirit of keeping this oh-so-positive thread going, I pose another question:

What player's potential success are you most excited about?

Bailey with out a doubt in my mind.

RedFan4Life
02-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Bruce sounds like he has the makings of a 4/5 tool legitimate all star caliber player.....Probably still a couple years too young but before long. I'm just disappointed that they cut the Hamilton thing short. The thought of those two roaming the same outfield ... wow....... oh well...............

and I still like Keppinger an awful lot as a guy who could be all the things that aaron boones, randas, aurilias etc. have brought to this team for short stretches over the years but maybe even better. At the plate, keppinger is a use all fields line drive machine.....

(and of course Bailey? hopefully....)

scounts22
02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Win more games.

Moosie52
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I expect the Reds to play fantastic in April, maybe even May, before dashing my hopes. Same as last year.

Nasty_Boy
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I expect the Reds to play fantastic in April, maybe even May, before dashing my hopes. Same as last year.

Last year's team was out of it by the end of May. Maybe you are refering to 2 seasons ago, and 3 seasons since 2002. :thumbup:

*BaseClogger*
02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
For me, I'm pretty excited to see the continued developement of Edwin Encarnacion and Matt Belisle...

Driver62
02-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I just want to see them get over .500. Every game over that is a plus for the future.

George Foster
02-09-2008, 02:00 AM
I honestly feel we should win the Central. No other team in the Central has improved themselves. 86-76 will win it.:thumbup:

ChatterRed
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Bailey with out a doubt in my mind.

I guess you're an A's fan, huh? :D

ChatterRed
02-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Sounds like a song:

Same as it ever was........same as it ever was.......

jfleur87
02-13-2008, 04:48 AM
compete