PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Knight has resigned from Texas Tech, effective immediately

WMR
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Shocking!

His son will take over.

Matt700wlw
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
wow!

redsfanmia
02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Its a shame that he could not retire as coach of the Indiana Hoosiers.

GoReds33
02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
That's terrible. He's the BEST basketball coach of our generation, if not of all time.

Does this mean he wants to go somewhere better, or is he retiring?

Reds4Life
02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
That's terrible. He's the BEST basketball coach of our generation, if not of all time.

Does this mean he wants to go somewhere better, or is he retiring?

If he's going somewhere else, it won't be this season. It's pretty rare to make a coaching change half way into conference play.

paintmered
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
What happened that caused him to resign?

pedro
02-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Maybe he finally realized he was a jerk.

But I doubt it.

WMR
02-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Maybe he finally realized he was a jerk.

But I doubt it.

The hundreds of players he has graduated and helped mold into productive, healthy members of society might disagree with you.

Compare his graduation rate to the rest of the country--esp. at top-flight, big-name programs--and tell me again who the jerk is.

Matt700wlw
He may be a jerk to some...or comes across as one, but his players, current and former had/have his back.

Not everybody can say that.

MWM

He got his 900th win.

SunDeck
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
The hundreds of players he has graduated and helped mold into productive, healthy members of society might disagree with you.

Compare his graduation rate to the rest of the country--esp. at top-flight, big-name programs--and tell me again who the jerk is.

I used to work in Assembly Hall, tutoring students in a computer lab. I had enough contact with him to say affirmatively that he is a jerk. But if I had played ball for him, maybe my attitude would be different because the story with Bob is basically that if you are not part of his world, you are useless.

WMR
02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I used to work in Assembly Hall, tutoring students in a computer lab. I had enough contact with him to say affirmatively that he is a jerk. But if I had played ball for him, maybe my attitude would be different because the story with Bob is basically that if you are not part of his world, you are useless.

I'm not saying he wasn't a single-minded hard-ass, to be certain. But he had a much more positive effect on college basketball and the lives of his players than the unfortunate negative aspects of his fiery personality.

Matt700wlw
02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
His job was to graduate players and win basketball games.

Nobody's done a better job than Bob Knight. Nobody did it as pure as Knight, either.

WMR
02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
His job was to graduate players and win.

Nobody's done a better job than Bob Knight.

Exactly.

pedro
02-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Never said he wasn't a good coach or that he wasn't concerned about academics, which is admirable.

I just saying that he's jerk with huge anger management issues.

That's pretty much as indisputable as is the rest of his record.

SunDeck
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Nobody's done a better job than Bob Knight. Nobody did it as pure as Knight, either.

Dean Smith and Coach K say hello.

princeton
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I used to really admire him (I even cheered for the throwing of the chair; I was in the front row) until I worked for jerks, and until I too came down hard on students like a jerk, and until I had kids that played for jerks.

now I most admire the guys that really do it well, yet remain human and humane.

WVRed
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
There has to be more to this story, probably health related.

If he did something, I doubt his son would be named head coach.

guttle11
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM

His job at Indiana was to win basketball games. If he hadn't had been so good at doing so, you wouldn't have ever heard about his grad rates. His grad rates didn't matter when the NCAA wins slowed and the side show continued.

His job at Texas Tech was to...well...you could argue his name value mattered more than his job performance or grad rates in Lubbock.

WMR
02-04-2008, 08:45 PM
The fact that extremely high grad rates didn't make or break him keeping his job makes the fact that he gave such an endeavor top priority even more impressive, IMO.

guttle11
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
The fact that extremely high grad rates didn't make or break him keeping his job makes the fact that he gave such an endeavor top priority even more impressive, IMO.

I don't disagree (and I can't stand Knight). I'm just saying that grad rates mean nothing to big time college programs (Captain Obvious statement, I know).

RFS62
02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I used to really admire him (I even cheered for the throwing of the chair; I was in the front row) until I worked for jerks, and until I too came down hard on students like a jerk, and until I had kids that played for jerks.

now I most admire the guys that really do it well, yet remain human and humane.

Exactly. He's a very successful jerk.

Blimpie
02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
If he's going somewhere else, it won't be this season. It's pretty rare to make a coaching change half way into conference play.Rare, yet not unprecedented...

Unfortunately, when I was attending the University of Florida, they removed Norm Sloan in the middle of the season and replaced him with (gulp) Don Devoe.

Those were pretty dark times if you were a Gator fan.

paintmered
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
There has to be more to this story, probably health related.

If he did something, I doubt his son would be named head coach.

My thoughts as well.

KronoRed
02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Rare, yet not unprecedented...

Unfortunately, when I was attending the University of Florida, they removed Norm Sloan in the middle of the season and replaced him with (gulp) Don Devoe.

Those were pretty dark times if you were a Gator fan.

Sloan was a cheat, if they hadn't canned him they would have gotten in a lot of trouble. :eek:

This reeks if Knight waited to get his 900 win then quit, way to be there for the players, unless they knew before hand that's what he was planning.

Blimpie
02-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Sloan was a cheat, if they hadn't canned him they would have gotten in a lot of trouble.Yeah, but at the time, the biggest complaint was losing and most felt that Sloan should have done a better job keeping a tight leash on Vernon Maxwell and his party antics. DeVoe, or Captain Ahab--as he was referred to by Dwayne Schintzius--was apparently the only D-I coach in the country who came in from mowing his yard, to accept the position in Gainesville.

If I am not mistaken, Sloan AND Galen Hall (Gator football coach) wer both fired the same weekend in fall. "Black Friday" it was called IIRC.

BUTLER REDSFAN
02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe now he can choke his next door neighbors instead of his players.

Hoosier Red
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
From what I'm reading(which is all completely unsubstantiated)
there are two theories.
1. He's wearing down physically, he had to leave for the entire second half of a game this year, but he's had problems in other games.

2. He didn't want to the program to drag on for a few years where his son wouldn't have been guaranteed a job there when Coach Knight left.

DTCromer
02-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Dean Smith and Coach K say hello.

You mean the same majority of Coach K players that have the same sociology degree?

By the way, Coack K is also a "jerk" to many people who know him. In fact, he uses more rotten language than your jerk bobby knight does.

Sea Ray
02-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Not all of his players defended him. Ask the ones that he grabbed by the neck or the testicles.

Do you think his antics in press conferences where he used language that had to be bleeped every other second set a good example for his kids?

How about his off the court anger issues? Is that a good way to mentor his players?

Coach K, Dean Smith, Wooden and Roy Williams did it the classy way. Bob Knight was anything but a class act and what's with quitting now? How is that fair to his players? There's only another month left in the regular season. That is total selfishness towards his players for quitting now. If he has health reasons for doing it then I understand but until that comes out, Knight left the game in the same unclassy manner he coached in.

Sea Ray
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
You mean the same majority of Coach K players that have the same sociology degree?

By the way, Coack K is also a "jerk" to many people who know him. In fact, he uses more rotten language than your jerk bobby knight does.

Then he does it in the locker room where it belongs. There's no excuse for the F-bombs Knight tosses on national TV.

DTCromer
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Bobby Knight got more out of his players than any coach mentioned in this thread.

Coach K is the most misconstrued guy who's been painted as "classy."

DTCromer
02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Then he does it in the locker room where it belongs. There's no excuse for the F-bombs Knight tosses on national TV.

Have you seen a Duke game? His swearing is worse than Knight's. The only difference is that Coach Krezooski has an "image" to protect and Bobby doesn't give a damn what people think of him.

Sea Ray
02-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Have you seen a Duke game? His swearing is worse than Knight's. The only difference is that Coach Krezooski has an "image" to protect and Bobby doesn't give a damn what people think of him.

When you have a microphone in front of you after a game and you know full well FCC rules apply you ought to show some class. Coach K does in those circumstances, Knight does not.

Razor Shines
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM

Through personal experience with the man, I can say that's not true. As far as the language goes, just because someone cusses at his players doesn't mean he's a jerk.

cincinnati chili
02-05-2008, 12:08 AM
For the record, Bill Belichick's job is to win games. Bobby Knight's job at Indiana was to win games AND be an ambassador to the university and state of Indiana. Like it or not, college athletics fall under "education" (see Title IX, etc) and Knight is a terrible role model for young people. He basically believes that if you're talented at what you do, you can be a bully and treat people like crap.

George Anderson
02-05-2008, 12:20 AM
What a crazy 24 hours. I got to witness the Pats lose the SB which was the next best thing to the Colts winning the SB :D but now one of my sports idols Robert Montgomery Knight is hanging it up. :thumbdown

I would love to see Bob return to Indiana and get into politics!!! That man would make one hell of a Governor!!!

02-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Maybe he decided earlier this year would be his laast, even though he signed the extension. Maybe he thought it better to just walk away leaving the team in the next coach's hands than to be there knowing it was almost over, and feeling even less restraint than he normally does.

Now he'll have more time to hunt people and ambush people at salad bars...seriously, I am a fan of his...I realize his pitfalls, but the good outweighs the bad, I think.

Revering4Blue
02-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Bobby Knight got more out of his players than any coach mentioned in this thread.

Love him or hate him, it's difficult to argue with that point.

RANDY IN INDY
02-05-2008, 05:31 AM
John Wooden says hello, and has the National Championships to back it up. Nothing but class and his players still love him and respect him immensely.

Hoosier Red
02-05-2008, 08:24 AM
John Wooden says hello, and has the National Championships to back it up. Nothing but class and his players still love him and respect him immensely.

Sam Gilbert says hello to Mr. Wooden. One thing about Knight is he did it without top notch talent. Aside from Isaiah. there probably weren't 5 NBA all star game appearances by anyone he coached.

Now that may be an indictment of how he recruited, or how his personality turned many star players off. But as far as getting the most out of his players Knight had no rival.

TeamSelig
02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Okay guys, it is very obvious that Knight is a jerk. Can't see how anyone can defend that.

lol would love to see his antics in the NBA, that would be entertaining

Sea Ray
02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Sam Gilbert says hello to Mr. Wooden. One thing about Knight is he did it without top notch talent. Aside from Isaiah. there probably weren't 5 NBA all star game appearances by anyone he coached.

Now that may be an indictment of how he recruited, or how his personality turned many star players off. But as far as getting the most out of his players Knight had no rival.

He sure did but did he have to be a jerk to do that? Did he have to cuss out innocent journalists just doing their job? No question he was a good coach but he was/is a horrible person who behaved in a manner "uncalled for."

WMR
02-05-2008, 09:06 AM
He sure did but did he have to be a jerk to do that? Did he have to cuss out innocent journalists just doing their job? No question he was a good coach but he was/is a horrible person who behaved in a manner "uncalled for."

"Innocent journalists?"

Hahaha... that's a good one.

Unassisted
02-05-2008, 09:16 AM
This reminds of how Dick Bennett left Wisconsin. He left 3 games into the season in 2000, citing burnout. Because of the timing, Wisconsin had no other choice but to hand the job to Bennett's hand-picked replacement, Brad Soderberg. Soderberg had no previous head-coaching experience.

I think this was more about greasing the skids for Pat Knight to take over than anything else. If the job had been opened by a resignation at the end of the season, Tech would have had to hold a full-blown search for a replacement. Pat might not have gotten the job, since he likely would have been competing for it against experienced coaches.

WMR
02-05-2008, 09:24 AM
It has been LONG agreed upon by T. Tech and Bob/Pat Knight that Pat would become head coach after Bob left.

Bob released the statement that the reason he left now was to give his son a chance to coach these final 10 games to help better prepare himself and the players for when he will have the role full-time next season. Furthermore, Pat was the primary recruiter the last few years... Pat runs nearly ALL practices... For all intents and purposes, these are just as much--if not moreso--Pat's kids as they are Bob's.

Lots of people commenting in this thread who really have no idea of the particulars of the situation.

Dom Heffner
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Love him or hate him, it's difficult to argue with that point.

Which is about as far as you can go with saying much good about the guy.

What a legacy. I was a jerk to everyone, but my teams won. Wow.

flyer85
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Pat Knight had already signed a contract that was going to make him head coach whenever his dad retired. I know when John Thompson stepped down in January a number of years back it seemed a maneuver to ensure Esherick became the head coach.

Knight, as always, is a hard man to figure. From a guy that wants complete loyalty to walk out on his team(#54 RPI) makes no sense. I am sure the seniors feel betrayed.

Sea Ray
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
"Innocent journalists?"

Hahaha... that's a good one.

Journalists are just doing their job. I recall a press conference where Knight is throwing F-bombs to describe what he thinks of ESPN scheduling 9pm games on school nights and what that does to his kids' studies. Let's recap. It's Knight's job to attend a post game press conference, it's the writers' job to cover it, and they have no control on how ESPN schedules their games. The journalists are completely innocent here.

Sea Ray
02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Bob released the statement that the reason he left now was to give his son a chance to coach these final 10 games to help better prepare himself and the players for when he will have the role full-time next season.

And you buy that? What's so special about next season that Pat has to "prepare" for it?

Unassisted
02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Knight, as always, is a hard man to figure. From a guy that wants complete loyalty to walk out on his team(#54 RPI) makes no sense. I am sure the seniors feel betrayed.Knight always does things his blankety-blank way. And any blankety-blanker on that team who doesn't like it can go blankety-blank themselves. ;)

Dom Heffner
02-05-2008, 02:53 PM
From a guy that wants complete loyalty to walk out on his team(#54 RPI) makes no sense. I am sure the seniors feel betrayed.

This is why I don't like "hard-nosed" coaches, because usually what they demand of you never applies to them.

I had a coach like that in high school and it was awful.

I'm not a winning is everything kind of guy, though. To be like that means you excuse any type of behavior for the sake of winning what is merely a game and that never sat very well with me.

Look at a guy like Bill Belichek. Guy can win all the games he wants and nobody repsects him becuase he's such a jerk. Running off the field with time on the clock was not only classless but about what I'd expect from a guy like that.

I've always felt there is a right way to win and a wrong way.

Hoosier Red
02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I think overall, the good outweighs the bad.

He's a stubborn old mule, who cussed a lot and was generally a bore.

But he helped produce good kids(incidentally by demanding that they act better than he did,) and secondarily won games.

Handofdeath
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I think I can give a pretty unique perspective living in Lubbock and therefore following Texas Tech athletics. First off, the man is 67 and has been coaching for 42 years. I believe he is tired. And it is true that Pat Knight has been taking a larger role over the last several seasons. What is also true is that Coach Knight's contributions to the TTU basketball program have been innumerable. When he was still coaching at IU he brought his team to Lubbock to play Texas Tech to open the United Spirit Arena because he was very good friends with Tech AD Gerald Myers who used to coach the TTU basketball team himself. It is that friendship that probably got him the job at TTU and helped him keep his job after the salad throwing incident of a few years back. Coach Knight really contributed a lot to TTU basketball and his record shows it. A 138-82 here is no small feat when you consider that they play in the very tough Big 12 conference and that Lubbock is a flat, dusty, boring place to a college student. He was never going to win a National Championship here though and perhaps the knowledge that this years team might not even make the NCAA's made up his mind a little faster. I know he was not happy with attendance at BB games and made no bones about it. He may not have been happy being a BB coach at a football school, which is a problem he didn't have at IU. He may also not have been happy with the popularity and having to compete, on some level, with the Women's BB team who are hugely popular around here. I think it was a bunch of small things and he just decided to walk. Trivia for you. The grocery store deli that he threw the salad in is on a street that runs all the way through Lubbock and when it gets to the east edge of town it goes through the TTU campus and passes right by the basketball arena. The name of the street?

Indiana Avenue.

Matt700wlw
02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
He'd always give you a quote...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ukj6Qi5W_k

Unassisted
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I heard a sportswriter who covered Tech for the local paper for a couple of years, right after the Knight era began, comment on this on the radio today. His take is that Knight had always said that when he left, it would be in a way that would minimize the fuss that would be made over him leaving. By leaving now at a time of low expectations, he also makes it easier for Pat to exceed expectations, which was probably the main reason for the timing of his departure.