PDA

View Full Version : Recruit announces his choice of school in news confernce - but didn't have an offer

MWM
02-06-2008, 10:28 AM
This is funny.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2008-02-05-nevada-prospect_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

By J. Michael Falgoust, USA TODAY
It's unclear whether Kevin Hart was duped or staged a hoax himself.
What is clear is that the 6-4, 305-pound offensive lineman from Fernley (Nev.) High School will not be signing with California on Wednesday the first day of the national signing period for football players or any other major Division I program.

COVERAGE: Signing Day 2008

Hart held a news conference Friday at Fernley, saying he had chosen the Golden Bears over Oregon. He said he'd talked with Cal coach Jeff Tedford "a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of gave me that real personal experience."

"This guy apparently has no offers," said Bobby Burton, recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. "I've never run across a case like this. It ranks right up there."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Oregon | Reno | Rivals.com | Hart | Gazette | Fernley | Lyon County | Kevin Hart | Nev
Hart is rated as a two-star prospect by Rivals, the lowest level of players the service ranks. His father declined to comment when reached by the Reno Gazette-Journal on Monday.

"We have not been recruiting him," said California associate media relations director John Sudsbury, who cited NCAA rules that prevent him from commenting further about recruits. "That's all we can say."

An official from Oregon denied having contact with Hart. "We're kind of perplexed. We've not ever heard of the young man," said David Williford, assistant AD for media services.

Hart also claimed to have recently taken a recruiting trip to Oklahoma State, but "he doesn't appear to be someone that we're recruiting," associate AD Kevin Klintworth said.

The Lyon County School District, in which Fernley resides, issued a release Tuesday that said it has been unable to verify Hart was offered an athletic scholarship or letter of intent to play football at California, Oregon or Oklahoma State.

Unassisted
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
It's unclear whether Kevin Hart was duped or staged a hoax himself.
Sounds to me like it was the local media and perhaps his high school's athletic department that was duped.

GoReds33
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it was a friend. That's sad, really sad. I'd hate to be that kid.

Puffy
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3233483

savafan
02-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow, poor kid...and to have his embarassment splashed in his face by the national media to boot...

Playadlc
02-06-2008, 02:43 PM
It sounds like he and his parents should have sniffed this one out. One or two phone calls and/or visits could have exposed this clown. They thought they were paying for a service and got bamboozled.

Pretty sad for the kid.

Chip R
02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I didn't know they had these kind of recruiting services. I hope his parents didn't pay cash.

Unassisted
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Sounds to me like it was the local media and perhaps his high school's athletic department that was duped.Guess not, according to Puffy's article.

Wow, poor kid...and to have his embarassment splashed in his face by the national media to boot...The publicity he's getting over this incident is hard to beat, so I'll bet this story ends up with a happy ending. The kid may not be good enough to play Division 1 ball, but with his size he might be good enough to end up with a full ride at a D-1AA or D-2 school that came up a little short on linemen.

Highlifeman21
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow.

That's all I can say.

Danny Serafini
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I didn't know they had these kind of recruiting services. I hope his parents didn't pay cash.

I used to know someone who did this. He worked on commission, if the kid got a scholarship he would be paid a percentage of the cash value. I get the feeling that's not what happened in this case though.

Handofdeath
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I tend to think the family is not innocent in all this. The young man said he had taken a recruiting trip to Oklahoma State. They have no recollection of him doing so. If he is such a big shot that he has to have a news conference to announce where he is attending, then there is no way in hell he would even consider Oklahoma State much less bring up their name.

Caseyfan21
02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
The plot thickens....apparently the kid made it all up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3234302

Raisor
02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I have signed a 15-year deal with the Reds to be the new starting Center Fielder. The team will be paying me 52-million a year, and all the brown M&M's I can eat.

I will not be able to take questions at this time, and I seem to have misplaced the phone number of anyone involved, so you'll just have to take me word for it.

Thank you.

Handofdeath
02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
The team will be paying me 52-million a year, and all the brown M&M's I can eat.

And I see Van Halen is playing in Cincinnati March 5. I assume you have backstage passes and free run of the band's dressing room? If so remember, don't touch Dave's hairpiece. He hates that.

RedFanAlways1966
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Lt. Rob Hall said Hart had not informed detectives of his confession, and they would continue to investigate to see if Hart had broken any laws, such as filing a false police report.

I am not sure that any laws have been broken. Perhaps he made up the Kevin Riley thing (the guy from Vegas) to the police, but has he really broken any laws? Did he go to the police to file a complaint or did the police come to him (for whatever reason... got to be better things for them to do) and get lied to when questioning him? Sounds like the kid is a serious joker or has a serious mental illness. I hope he is a joker.

You'd think his HS coach would have had some knowledge of the kid being pursued by major colleges. I'd think recruiters for these schools would like to talk to the HS coach to get infromation (game films, learn about his practice habits, attitude, etc) about the kid. Sounds like the coach has never had a kid go to a D-I program or is very gullible.

Yachtzee
02-07-2008, 12:26 AM
I am not sure that any laws have been broken. Perhaps he made up the Kevin Riley thing (the guy from Vegas) to the police, but has he really broken any laws? Did he go to the police to file a complaint or did the police come to him (for whatever reason... got to be better things for them to do) and get lied to when questioning him? Sounds like the kid is a serious joker or has a serious mental illness. I hope he is a joker.

You'd think his HS coach would have had some knowledge of the kid being pursued by major colleges. I'd think recruiters for these schools would like to talk to the HS coach to get infromation (game films, learn about his practice habits, attitude, etc) about the kid. Sounds like the coach has never had a kid go to a D-I program or is very gullible.

Well, it really depends on what the law is in his state and what the laws say as to whether he committed a crime. Lying to a police officer can be a crime in many instances.

Unassisted
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
All it would have taken is one phone call to one of the "recruiting" schools for this charade to come crashing down. I'll bet that high school coaches all over the country will hear this story and make darn sure to make that phone call in the future.