PDA

View Full Version : Batman:The Dark Knight

Pages : [1] 2

Puffy
02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/845/845132p1.html

Check out the trailer at the end. Looks real good.

This plus Ironman - big summer. Big summer!

*BaseClogger*
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
ugh... super heros...

WVRed
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I think that is the same trailer that they showed before "I Am Legend". It does look like it is going to be great.

I wish they would come out with a new Iron Man trailer.

Degenerate39
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I think that is the same trailer that they showed before "I Am Legend". It does look like it is going to be great.

I wish they would come out with a new Iron Man trailer.

They had a new Iron Man trailer during the Super Bowl

Bip Roberts
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Iron man looks like its going to be a movie with a bunch of nothing in it.

Batman will be godly though.

pahster
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Iron man looks like its going to be a movie with a bunch of nothing in it.

Robert Downey Jr.

RFS62
02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I can hardly wait for both of them.

I think Downey will rock.

Awesome summer coming up.

Mario-Rijo
02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Robert Downey Jr.

No way, Downey is playing my man Tony Stark? That just doesn't inspire confidence for me. It's almost like Nick Cage being an action star...wait he is, isn't he.

Bip Roberts
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Downey could be good in it but I just think the movie is going to be blah.

Sabo Fan
02-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Downey was born to play Tony Stark.

1. Filthy rich? Check.
2. Womanizer? Check.
3. Recovering alcholic? Check.

It's like he doesn't even have to act.

GAC
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
A Hulk sequel is also coming out in June starring Ed Norton.

Also a 3rd Mummy movie w/ Brendan Fraser comes out this August.

GAC
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I can hardly wait for both of them.

I think Downey will rock.

Is there a scene in the movie where a woman comes running out of her home screaming "Robert Downing Jr is sleeping in my bed in some strange suit!" :lol:

KYRedsFan
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
They were filming on my street in Chicago over the summer. I missed some great shots of some action sequences, but here's some, including one of me sneaking onto the set. Kinda neat

http://i30.tinypic.com/nej11t.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/20ibfyw.jpg

BuckeyeRed27
02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWZDqqBfJo

If it looks anything like this you know it will be sweet

Degenerate39
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Check out the new poster:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7120

GAC
04-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I really don't care much for the Batman costume.

RFS62
04-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Yeah, it's kind of itchy and uncomfortable.

savafan
04-27-2008, 01:49 PM

It's more body armor than costume

WMR
04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
A very post-modern Batman garb, fairly in line with the general direction that the series is heading.

Caveat Emperor
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
A Hulk sequel is also coming out in June starring Ed Norton.

Also a 3rd Mummy movie w/ Brendan Fraser comes out this August.

AND....

Indy 4. :cool:

Raisor
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
AND....

Indy 4. :cool:

You had me at hello.

I just realized, being unemployed now I can go get in line at the movie theater RIGHT NOW.

I need my jacket and my hat.

Gainesville Red
04-28-2008, 02:33 AM

I'm just happy it doesn't have nipples.

cincyinco
04-28-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm just happy it doesn't have nipples.

Thank you!!!!

Worst batman costume ever.

Degenerate39
04-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you!!!!

Worst batman costume ever.

Worse than this?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/batman-c.jpg

Degenerate39
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7134

The new international poster

Johnny Footstool
04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7134

The new international poster

That one, I don't care for. It looks too much like a Mecha-Batman/Transformers crossover.

CySeymour
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Worse than this?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/batman-c.jpg

Ughhh...the worst thing that EVER happend to the Batman series :confused:

sonny
04-29-2008, 11:06 AM
the new trailer is up on you tube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NrNwJsTGrbc

Degenerate39
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
The new trailer is amazing

sonny
04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
the new trailer is up on you tube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NrNwJsTGrbc

Looks like the Warner Bros brass took it down.

Degenerate39
05-04-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm

Great Quality

Puffy
05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Picture of Two Face:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1094821/dent-tdk.jpg

Degenerate39
06-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Heath Ledger is AMAZING as the Joker.

New TV spot for The Dark Knight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_HRmQzUIo

Here's a scene from the Dark Knight that show's some of Two Face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgwZuXA6UA

MrCinatit
06-24-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm usually a pretty pessimistic guy when it comes to movie hype - a lot of times, a movie will be so overhyped before it even comes out, it will inevitably be a huge letdown.
This is especially true for sequels, most of which cannot come anywhere near the movie it preceded. This is especially true for remakes, as most cannot hold a candle to the original.

I do not believe Dark Knight will see the same fate. I have not been this psyched for a movie since...well, honestly, I cannot remember the last time I was so excited to see a movie. The mystic surrounding the movie because of Ledger will be tremendous - and his portrayal of The Joker will top off a tragic life.
But, the amount of secrecy behind the job they have done on Eckhart has been remarkable - while Ledger's Joker has been shoved down our throats, Eckhart's Two Face seems to have been shrouded in forgotfulness. I just gotta feeling he might end up stealing a few scenes.

Dom Heffner
06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
The first review is in and it's a doozy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

The Baumer
06-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Best. Movie. Ever.

MasonBuzz3
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.hollywood-newsroom.com/news/watch-the-first-6-minutes-of-the-dark-knight/

MrCinatit
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.hollywood-newsroom.com/news/watch-the-first-6-minutes-of-the-dark-knight/

Wow.
OK, the quality was not that great (Seinfeld should have done the work on that one), but wow.
Fichtner is one of my favorite actors - I didn't even know he was in this flick.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
8 out of 8 positive reviews so far on Rottentomatoes.com

savafan
07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I already bought my tickets. Lots of Oscar buzz on this. I can't wait!

sonny
07-07-2008, 09:12 PM
The geeks over at superherohype.com say that this is the truest interpretation of Bob Kane's Joker. Makes Jack Nicholson's look flat out dumb.

A villian who prefers a knife because it's "more personal"

How macabre!

Degenerate39
07-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Los Angeles (E! Online) - Just call him the Crack of Dawn Knight.

Movie theaters are adding 6 a.m. opening-day showings of The Dark Knight to meet demand created by sold-out midnight and 3 a.m. screenings.

"It's normal for movies like to this start at midnight," says Chad Hartigan, a box office analyst for Exhibitor Relations Co.

But 6 a.m. screenings?

"That's not normal," Hartigan says.

There are no hard numbers for how many theaters will stay open as the witching hour turns to the rise-and-shine hour at 6 a.m. on July 18, when The Dark Knight debuts. Overall, Hartigan says he expects the movie to play at 3,800-3,900 theaters during its opening weekend.

According to Ted Hong, vice president of marketing for the online ticket service Fandango, the unusual 6 a.m. show times are indicators of unusually strong interest.

"The Dark Knight is our fastest selling film in wide release this year," Hong says. "It trumps Iron Man, Sex and the City, Indiana Jones [and] WALL-E at the same point in their sales cycles—and it's even outpacing last year's Spider-Man 3 and Pirates [of the Caribbean: At World's End]."

Per Fandango, The Dark Knight will bow dark and extremely early in midnight showings on more than 1,500 screens. (Fandango and E! Online are both owned by Comcast.)

The service says "many" of those 12 a.m. screenings are sold out in cities both expected (New York, the model for Batman's troubled Gotham City) and not (Boise, Idaho; Council Bluffs, Iowa; etc.). MovieTickets.com, another online ticketing service, reported a total of 140 Dark Knight sell-outs as of today.

In a summer led by the $311 million-grossing Iron Man, The Dark Knight has been regarded as the blockbuster to beat. A sequel to Christopher Nolan's hit franchise reboot, Batman Begins, the new movie is receiving ecstatic early reviews—Variety called it "enthralling"—and Oscar buzz for the late Heath Ledger for his performance as the seriously unhinged Joker.

As early as two weeks ago, three weeks before the July 18 debut, Fandango was reporting "dozens" of premiere-night sell-outs. As of 10 a.m. this morning, still a good eight days before B-Day, The Dark Knight was accounting for 51 percent of all tickets sold by the service. At MovieTickets.com, the film was doing more business than six of that company's Top 10 all-time hits, including The Passion of the Christ and the second Star Wars prequel, Attack of the Clones.

Says Hong: "All indicators point to [next Thursday] as a very busy night at theaters across the country."

camisadelgolf
07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I just watched it. It's a very good movie, but I wouldn't call it Oscar-worthy.

Degenerate39
07-10-2008, 12:22 AM
I just watched it. It's a very good movie, but I wouldn't call it Oscar-worthy.

Without spoiling us. How was Ledger in the movie?

camisadelgolf
07-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Without spoiling us. How was Ledger in the movie?

He kills Batman at the end.

But seriously, Ledger was amazing, imho. I think part of what made it so good was that it was so unexpected.

MasonBuzz3
07-10-2008, 01:54 AM
how'd you see it?

i'm looking forward to the third movie more, i guess i'm a two-face fan

camisadelgolf
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
how'd you see it?

i'm looking forward to the third movie more, i guess i'm a two-face fan

My sister's a screenwriter in Hollywood and has ridiculous contacts.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow! Now 12 out of 12 glowing reviews on Rottentomatoes.com

savafan
07-10-2008, 11:18 PM
The opening night Imax showing at Springdale sold out within less than an hour of tickets being available online.

wolfboy
07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
The opening night Imax showing at Springdale sold out within less than an hour of tickets being available online.

Got tickets for the Sunday Imax matinee. I really can't wait. It's been a while since I've been this excited to see a film. Does anyone know if the Florence Imax is open yet?

Puffy
07-17-2008, 10:19 AM
USA Today reviewed today and gave this 4 out of 4 stars.

Puffy
07-17-2008, 10:23 AM
NY Post gives 3.5 out of 4.

Degenerate39
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll hopefully be watching this movie at midnight with the rest of the Batman nerds. I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'll wager that it wins the Academy Award for Best Movie Ever.

WVRed
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll hopefully be watching this movie at midnight with the rest of the Batman nerds. I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'll wager that it wins the Academy Award for Best Movie Ever.

Going tomorrow at 9:30 AM

Jpup
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm going to watch is Friday somewhere if I have to go alone. I was big into the last one, but everything points to this one being amazing.

BuckWild03
07-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Saw it last night. The movie is amazing, and Heath is nothing short of spectacular. Might even deserve an Oscar nod. Everyone go see it!

RichRed
07-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Got tickets for the Sunday Imax matinee. I really can't wait. It's been a while since I've been this excited to see a film. Does anyone know if the Florence Imax is open yet?

I'm going to see it in IMAX on Saturday. The wife and I are both pretty jazzed about it, and like you, we don't often get this excited about a movie.

MWM
07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
My company has the franchise rights for this movie in the business we're in and so we got a free preview on Tuesday night. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go, but everyone I talked to said it was pretty fantastic, and one person imparticular hates these types of movies said she loved it as well. I might go Saturday.

VR
07-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Just talked to my 17 yr old, who's been in line 4 hours for the midnight showing. He's still riding the 2 liter mountain dew buzz. Good times, I hope for his sake it's really good.

Homer Bailey
07-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Saw it tonight. It was incredible. Long at times, but one of my top 5 favorite movies ever. Ledger's performance is legendary. Not only is he a terrifying villain, but he's absolutely hilarious at the same time. Please go see this movie.

SirFelixCat
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Saw the 3:25am showing of TDK @ IMAX (Red Rock). Wow.

Simply, wow.

Heath Ledger owned the role. The best villain of all time imo.

And everything about the movie was just about perfect, from the acting to the cinematography. Just wow.

Matt700wlw
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I can't wait to see it....had a chance to see it Wednesday, but getting from work to the showing in time, with still some leftover traffic wasn't going to happen. Some things you can't control.

They need more sneak previews in Springdale or Norwood rather than Florence.

Degenerate39
07-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Amazing movie. Probably my favorite all time movie now. Ledger was fantastic to say the least. I've never seen a villian did like Ledger did the The Joker. He was subtley funny but a second later he would have a powerful and serious scene. The story was great and the actors were great. Just a great movie.

WVRed
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Plan on spending about three hours in the movie theater(including previews), but it is well worth it. This one was better than Batman Begins and topped Iron Man, which set the bar pretty high anyways.

As great as Heath Ledger was, I honestly believe Aaron Eckhart did a superb role in playing Harvey Dent/Two Face. He didn't get near the publicity as Ledger, but he was just as great.

I really thought they could have done a better job of replacing Katie Holmes. Maggie Gyllenhall wasn't the type that inexplicably stood out. Probably a last second fix before filming began. Outside of that, it was an all-star cast.

Raisor
07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Just got home from seeing it. I'll have to agree with what some others have said: It's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

The hype on Ledger's performance is no hype at all. He was simply amazing. It's a crime film that just happens to have a crazy guy in a bat suit against another crazy guy who thinks he's a clown.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-18-2008, 03:48 PM
going to see it tonight but can some1 tell me if the fighting scenes are clearer this time??

Degenerate39
07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
going to see it tonight but can some1 tell me if the fighting scenes are clearer this time??

Yes they are

HumnHilghtFreel
07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm about to watch Batman Begins, which I haven't seen yet. The hype around Dark Knight has me genuinely interested though. I'll probably go see it sunday.

SirFelixCat
07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh. lemme add one more thing.

NOT A MOVIE FOR KIDS. While I don't have any, I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't let my kid watch this til at least 13 or so. Tons of violence and a ton of BRUTAL implied violence.

And Two-Face will give the young'uns nightmares. Seriously.

James B.
07-18-2008, 10:33 PM

NOT A MOVIE FOR KIDS. While I don't have any, I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't let my kid watch this til at least 13 or so. Tons of violence and a ton of BRUTAL implied violence.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just wondering if it was kid friendly.

SteelSD
07-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Saw it at 4:30 today. Really a brilliant film and it needed every moment of its run length to cover the collection of sub plots. The final Spiderman film demonstrated how many sub-plots can be tied together in a clumsy fashion. Not so with this film.

Prior to seeing it, I'd heard references to "The Killing Joke", and I can see that at times- particularly when the Joker talks about how he got his scars and in a very insightful conversation with Batman- but IMHO the primary feed is from Frank Miller's "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns". Ledger's exceptionally well-acted Joker persona is literally ripped from the pages of that legendary mini-series. While I didn't stay for the credits, both Miller and Alan Moore should have received some kind of creative credit for the film.

I honestly can't wait until everyone in the universe has had a chance to see this film in order to better talk about it in detail.

Cyclone792
07-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Saw it tonight; absolutely fantastic film!

After seeing the movie, I'm actually kind of surprised it landed a PG-13 rating.

RBA
07-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I saw it too. Great movie!

Reds Fanatic
07-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I just watched it tonight. Fantastic movie. Ledger was just great. His performance was so fantastic it blows away everyone that ever played the role of Joker before.

The Baumer
07-19-2008, 01:51 AM
The darkest, most brutal PG-13 I've ever seen. I don't know how anyone under 13 can not have nightmares after watching this let alone understand it.

That said, IT WAS AWESOME.

*BaseClogger*
07-19-2008, 02:05 AM
It was good but I preferred Iron Man... :dunno:

The Baumer
07-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Iron Man was more fun whereas Dark Knight was haunting. I loved it but I don't think I can sit through it again anytime soon.

GAC
07-19-2008, 06:44 AM
I just watched it tonight. Fantastic movie. Ledger was just great. His performance was so fantastic it blows away everyone that ever played the role of Joker before.

I read one review that said Nicholson's Joker was more of the Caesar Romero type.

Raisor
07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Prior to seeing it, I'd heard references to "The Killing Joke", and I can see that at times- particularly when the Joker talks about how he got his scars and in a very insightful conversation with Batman- but IMHO the primary feed is from Frank Miller's "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns". Ledger's exceptionally well-acted Joker persona is literally ripped from the pages of that legendary mini-series. While I didn't stay for the credits, both Miller and Alan Moore should have received some kind of creative credit for the film.

I honestly can't wait until everyone in the universe has had a chance to see this film in order to better talk about it in detail.

I didn't really see that much from DK Returns in it. But there was a ton of Year One, most of the Dent/Gordon/Wayne stuff.

Seriously awesome flick.

Degenerate39
07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
It was good but I preferred Iron Man... :dunno:

Off with his head!

Stephenk29
07-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I just saw it as well. I thought it blew Iron Man out of the water, but thats just me. It was pretty awesome. The hype was about on target.

OldRightHander
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Just got out of the theater. Lived up to they hype ok, but it was pretty dark, no pun intended. Ledger was...well...pretty darn impressive. He should get some hardware for that portrayal, even if it will be posthumous. The friend who went with me said he liked Iron Man better, and I think that maybe that's because Iron Man was a little lighter. It was a great film though, especially from an artistic point of view.

RedsBaron
07-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Just got out of the theater. Lived up to they hype ok, but it was pretty dark, no pun intended. Ledger was...well...pretty darn impressive. He should get some hardware for that portrayal, even if it will be posthumous. The friend who went with me said he liked Iron Man better, and I think that maybe that's because Iron Man was a little lighter. It was a great film though, especially from an artistic point of view.

I took two of my sons to see it this afternoon. They both liked it a lot. I liked it, I agree that Ledger was great.....but I enjoyed Iron Man a lot more.

flyer85
07-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Without spoiling us. How was Ledger in the movie?excellent ... they set it up to have him return as the Joker but alas that is not to be.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I saw it Friday night and enjoyed it but I just wanna see if I'm having hearing problems or anyone else had this issue..the theatre I saw it at had the volume up or the soundtrack of the movie is just loud..at times the soundtrack was just rediculously loud and i couldnt make out what the characters were saying at all..anyone else???

pahster
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I loved it. Brilliantly executed. Ledger was masterful.

Degenerate39
07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
excellent ... they set it up to have him return as the Joker but alas that is not to be.

I saw it twice Friday. The Joker was astonishing to say the least.

paintmered
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was just wondering if it was kid friendly.

It's not at all kid-friendly. There was a couple sitting in front of me yesterday with a 3-year-old boy. Not a good move on their part.

The projector also "broke" during the movie when I saw it. Twice. During the last 15 minutes of the movie. There were 400 not-happy people in the theater. My next movie is on Cinema De Lux.

WVRed
07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
BTW, The Watchmen looks like it is going to be good.

Raisor
07-19-2008, 10:24 PM
After thinking about it for over 24 hours now, I have this to say: If I wasn't married, and this movie was a lady, I'd marry it.

toledodan
07-19-2008, 11:09 PM
It's not at all kid-friendly. There was a couple sitting in front of me yesterday with a 3-year-old boy. Not a good move on their part.

The projector also "broke" during the movie when I saw it. Twice. During the last 15 minutes of the movie. There were 400 not-happy people in the theater. My next movie is on Cinema De Lux.

i plan on taking my 11 year old daughter to it sunday. what makes it so unfriendly for the little ones? violence to life like? she understands there just movies, Lord knows shes watched the jurasic park movies enough with the dinos eating everyone and had no problems. thanks for the feedback in advance.:beerme:

ramp101
07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
definitely in my top 5

went in with enormous expectations and this blew it out of the water

whysoserious

Razor Shines
07-19-2008, 11:33 PM
I saw it tonight. I had wondered if Ledger's death was being used to hype his performance into something better than it actually was. I went into this movie being skeptical of how good he actually was. Boy, oh boy was I wrong. He was fantastic. He made Nicholson's Joker look like a Disney character.

I'm not sure if I want to wait for the DVD to see it again.

MWM
07-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Just got back. Great movie. I don't know about one of the best ever, but I really enjoyed it. But I know nothing of the Batman comic stories (which would have really helped) and I never saw any of the Keaton, Kilmer Batman movies (I did see Batman Begins), and I really don't enjoy super hero stuff at all, including movies, so I don't think there was any way it was ever going to crack my top movies. But it is far and away the best of this genre I've ever seen.

And I will add to what others have said about Ledger. I went in with high expectations but also wondering if his tales of his performance was a bit exaggerated because of his death. And it absolutely was not. He was brilliant, that's all there is to it. It was as good an acting performance as I've seen in quite some time and he'd be a very worth Oscar winner. You could take all the performances in movies over the past decade and I think his performance would warrant a nomination. He was that good.

The Baumer
07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
i plan on taking my 11 year old daughter to it sunday. what makes it so unfriendly for the little ones? violence to life like? she understands there just movies, Lord knows shes watched the jurasic park movies enough with the dinos eating everyone and had no problems. thanks for the feedback in advance.:beerme:

The movie presents a lot of dark themes and ideas that a child will not be able to understand (for better or for worse). The Joker's whole deal is putting people in situations where they have to choose between two horrible evils (i.e. you have to choose who dies, the woman you love or 1,000 innocent people?). And the tone of the movie is very gritty and realistic so these propositions have a sick, affecting quality. Their weight isn't washed away with cartoon violence or comedy. This is very disturbing stuff. There may not be brains being blown out onto the pavement or nudity, but this is a very hard PG-13. More disturbing than many R films.

For those who have already seen it, was that hostage video clip the Joker sent to the Gotham Cable news channel not one of the scariest things you've seen? And that laugh!

Oxilon
07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Just got back from seeing it too. No need to pile on, so I'll just agree that this was the best movie of it's genre. And for those who have seen it, did anybody else love that scene when the Joker was in the interregation room and it was pitch black, so only his face was visible? Putting it simply, Christopher Nolan is one helluva director, that's for sure.

MWM
07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
I have an 11 year old daughter. I'm not one to tell other people how to parent kids because I sure as hell don't have the parenting thing figured out. And I won't judge if some parents decide to. That's all their decisions and none of my business.

But I will say that after seeing it, there's no way I'd take my daughter to see it. It does have some very disturbing provocations of thought that I believe would trouble someone that young, even thought it's delivered ina fictional setting. Folks that have said it's a dark film are correct. But that's just my opinion.

RBA
07-20-2008, 01:03 AM
I took my son to see it, he's 14. I left my 11 year old daughter at home. I'm glad I did after seeing it.

Raisor
07-20-2008, 01:11 AM
SPOLIER HO! (highlight to read)

Harvey Dent/Two-Face is NOT dead. Gordon and Batman faked his funeral and put him in Arkham Asylum. Even if it wasn't the original plan, with Ledger passing away it's the best choice in continuing the series.

Razor Shines
07-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Raisor SPOLIER HO! (highlight to read)

Highlight again.

I really hope that's what they do. Eckhart was great and I was kinda upset that they killed him before we really got to see much of Two Face in action. I don't think he could be the main villain in the next movie but I think he'd a really good complementary villain, if you will.

VR
07-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Took my wife and two oldest sons....(17 and 12). We all LOVED it.

We're not big fans of ultra dark or gratuitously violent movies.....and we all thought it was great. My wife got a call this afternoon from a gal who took her two teenagers...and she just thought it was downright evil.

I wanted to call her after the movie. Yes...it has a dark element to it, but also many very redeeming parts in it to talk w/ the boys about.

I agree w/ Razor's assessment of Ledger and the hype. No hype, he was brilliant.

MWM
07-20-2008, 02:15 AM
BTW, my favorite scene was the one in the hospital with Dent and the Joker with the Joker going on about the "schemers" and then with the gun pointed at his head for the coin flip. That was good stuff.

WVRed
07-20-2008, 07:27 AM
For those who have already seen it, was that hostage video clip the Joker sent to the Gotham Cable news channel not one of the scariest things you've seen? And that laugh!

I thought it was similar to something out of House of 1000 Corpses.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/joker-2.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/10/12/devils_rejects_big_051012044813066_wideweb__300x32 8.jpg

paintmered
07-20-2008, 09:20 AM

To me, it's the haunting nature of the movie combined with the very graphic violence. I'm surprised it received a PG-13 rating really.

RichRed
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
The movie presents a lot of dark themes and ideas that a child will not be able to understand (for better or for worse). The Joker's whole deal is putting people in situations where they have to choose between two horrible evils (i.e. you have to choose who dies, the woman you love or 1,000 innocent people?). And the tone of the movie is very gritty and realistic so these propositions have a sick, affecting quality. Their weight isn't washed away with cartoon violence or comedy. This is very disturbing stuff. There may not be brains being blown out onto the pavement or nudity, but this is a very hard PG-13. More disturbing than many R films.

Very good assessment, in my opinion. It's a rough PG-13.

What a great movie. As others have said, Ledger's performance is unbelievable. The film is in turns chilling, funny, thought-provoking and action-packed - it's got it all, even for non-Batman fans.

BuckeyeRed27
07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
It's a stunningly good movie. Perfect story. Incredibly acted. Sooooo much tension.

You knew Ledger was going to be great from the pencil scene. "see its gone"

Sean_CaseyRules
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
This was a GREAT movie. And I know I'm beating the dead horse here, but I think Heath's performence in this was amazing! I don't think anyone could have been a better joker! My only question is what will they do with Heath now passed on?

MasonBuzz3
07-21-2008, 12:14 AM
absolutely great movie, maybe a tad long but awesome. as for the joker, I for one am glad that the joker was actually portrayed as a demented criminal that isn't an always smiling clown. ledger was tremendous. aaron eckhart was awesome and will make a tremendous two face. but im sure im not the only one that is glad the val kilmer/ george clooney batman movies are over. I saw one on TNT today, and honestly wanted to throw my shoe at the TV

MWM
07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah, they wre replaying some of the older ones the last couple of days and it's hard to believe they're even the same franchise. They're just not good movies. This one is how these should be done. Everything from the directing to the acting to the filming is just at a completely different level with Dark Knight. I think Clooney was the worst of the batmen. He was just dreadful, IMO. And Arnold was about the worse villain ever. The ridiculous one liners from that movie (i.e. "everybody, chill") were almost insulting.

Can you imagine being the actor asked to step in and play the Joker after Ledger. i know I wouldn't do it.

Brutus
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
I have to echo what everyone else in this thread has said. (Warning: a few spoilers here in my post in case there are still some that haven't seen it and don't want specifics ruined)

I'm not even a big Batman fan, nor am I a person that goes bananas over a movie after seeing it, but I can't stop thinking about it tonight. This movie, in my honest opinion (as a person that had zero expectations until finally being talked into watching "Batman Begins" just this week), was the absolute best movie I've ever seen.

Not hyperbole, I honestly feel that way.

I'll be honest, I thought a lot of the Oscar buzz about Heath Ledger's role was guided largely by sympathy. I hate to admit that, because it sounds shallow, and I always liked him as an actor, but I was afraid that was playing a part. No, the Oscar buzz is because he played, arguably the most complex role imaginable like a legend.

Given he had to be funny, witty, a sociopath and yet deadly scary at the same time, he 100 percent delivered. For many serious, dark movies like this one, the source of comic relief is usually from the heroes or the lead role because you run the risk of losing credibility or believability if it comes from your villains. Not in this case. Ledger was able to be the source of the comedy without losing an ounce of believability. You felt like he was a real bonafide psycho and while you found him humorous, it was not in a cheesy way - he was a guy that you'd be absolutely terrified to encounter in real life.

What a fantastic movie. Probably my favorite movie I've ever seen, and even if because of pre-conceived expectations it's not, I feel it's the "best." Such a subjective argument, but it had everything in a movie you could ask for.

Consider it was unlike all other "super hero" "comic" and "fantasy/fiction" type films - the "romance" interest dies, the hero becomes the villain and the villain lives and while scaring the bejeezus out of you, it's easy to catch yourself wanting to keep him alive. What a dynamic.

MasonBuzz3
07-21-2008, 12:35 AM
im with you, i think the kilmer and clooney batman were fare too cartoony....i mean there were neon lights everywhere in those "films." the two nolan films represent the comics far more than before. Batman is a twisted, dark character. Batman has issues other than just crime-solving....I might be a nerd, but I love how "realistic" the Batman movies have become

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-21-2008, 01:03 AM
I saw it Friday night and enjoyed it but I just wanna see if I'm having hearing problems or anyone else had this issue..the theatre I saw it at had the volume up or the soundtrack of the movie is just loud..at times the soundtrack was just rediculously loud and i couldnt make out what the characters were saying at all..anyone else???
I take it from the lack of response I am just going deaf.... :(

Brutus
07-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I take it from the lack of response I am just going deaf.... :(

There were a few parts, especially the end dialogue with Batman and Gordon, that I couldn't make out every word. It caused some confusion exactly as to what was happening - I could get the gist of it, but I feel like I missed a few small nuances because of having that kind of problem.

Caveat Emperor
07-21-2008, 01:13 AM
My sister and I saw it tonight (packed house -- on a Sunday night late show), and I just have to echo what everyone else has said: it was just a flat-out fantastic movie. It deserves every bit of the accolades that it is receiving. And, on that subject, I can't say enough about Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. He simply disappeared in to the role and owned it from all sides, portraying someone as completely unhinged but still completely in control of the situations around him. It was brilliant, brilliant stuff.

I thought the movie reminded me more than a bit (in a good way) of "Se7en" with the complex and psychopathic scenarios dreamed up by the Joker. Not a lot of actors could've convincingly pulled this bit off the way Ledger was able to.

I really can't wait to see where they go from here. THIS movie is going to be a really tough act to follow.

MrCinatit
07-21-2008, 03:30 AM
I saw the noon showing Sunday and am still a bit numbed by it. Quite a remarkable movie.
There were a couple of moments that could have been hints that Catwoman or The Riddler could be next.
I thought all of the cast put in an excellent job. And Nolan...well, he's probably put himself up into the Peter Jackson level of directors with that one.

Raisor
07-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I saw the noon showing Sunday and am still a bit numbed by it. Quite a remarkable movie.
There were a couple of moments that could have been hints that Catwoman or The Riddler could be next.
I thought all of the cast put in an excellent job. And Nolan...well, he's probably put himself up into the Peter Jackson level of directors with that one.

For the next movie, assuming they don't use (highlight to read)Harvey Dent I'd just assume they stay away from the rest of Batman's rogues. I'd really like to see a "Gotham Central" movie, where the main POV is with Gordon and the cops. Batman would be there, of course, and be important, but it would really be Gordon's movie. That way, you could use someone like Riddler or Catwoman, but keep them way in the back.

Hard to really explain what I mean if you haven't read the Gotham Central series.

Caveat Emperor
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I'd really like to see a "Gotham Central" movie, where the main POV is with Gordon and the cops. Batman would be there, of course, and be important, but it would really be Gordon's movie. That way, you could use someone like Riddler or Catwoman, but keep them way in the back.

Hard to really explain what I mean if you haven't read the Gotham Central series.

I really like that idea. I don't know anything about "Gotham Central" (my experience with Batman is 10% old movies, 90% the cartoon series from the early 90's), but it would be a great change of pace from the typical superhero flick model of big hero v. superbaddie that we seem to get in every comic movie. There might be a minor audiance revolt, though.

Jim Gordon is my favorite of the side characters in Nolans films, though. I think Oldman has been letter-perfect in the role, and I'd love to see an opportunity to let him really stretch his legs.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Currently ranked as the #1 movie of all-time on the IMDB. 46,000+ votes. 9.5 rating.

The rating will drop at some point, but it may hang in there and stay above The Godfather. We'll see.

I don't like comic book movies, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

camisadelgolf
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
It was a good movie, but ahead of The Godfather? Come on. I wouldn't even call it the best film of the year.

Chip R
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
It was a good movie, but ahead of The Godfather? Come on. I wouldn't even call it the best film of the year.

That happens a lot. Some big time movie comes out like LOtR or Star Wars and all of a sudden it's at the top of the 250. Eventually it will drop down.

WVRed
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't really know if there should be a sequel or not. It would be kind of hard to top this movie and make another installment.

I also hope that the Joker does not return if there is another movie. Heath Ledger did such a great job in this movie that I don't think it should be attempted to be duplicated. I don't know if the reason the Joker wasn't killed was to pay tribute to Ledger by keeping his character alive or to use him again later, but I hope the latter isn't the case.

BTW, for those of us who did not catch on, what were the hints of Catwoman and Riddler?

CrackerJack
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Not posting spoilers would be appreciated, but I will just not read the thread again until I see it.

Raisor
07-21-2008, 03:37 PM
BTW, for those of us who did not catch on, what were the hints of Catwoman and Riddler?

there weren't any, as far as I saw

Ravenlord
07-21-2008, 03:52 PM
should i be concerned that the Joker said things that are almost verbatim to things that i have said in the last two years?

wolfboy
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't really know if there should be a sequel or not. It would be kind of hard to top this movie and make another installment.

I also hope that the Joker does not return if there is another movie. Heath Ledger did such a great job in this movie that I don't think it should be attempted to be duplicated. I don't know if the reason the Joker wasn't killed was to pay tribute to Ledger by keeping his character alive or to use him again later, but I hope the latter isn't the case.

Bruce and Lucius are discussing the new material used for Batman's suit. Bruce asks whether the material can stop a dog. Lucius suggests that it could stop a cat. I took that with a grain of salt, but someone pointed it out to me as a possible hint.
I didn't catch any Riddler references.

Brutus
07-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Bruce and Lucius are discussing the new material used for Batman's suit. Bruce asks whether the material can stop a dog. Lucius suggests that it could stop a cat. I took that with a grain of salt, but someone pointed it out to me as a possible hint.
I didn't catch any Riddler references.

I know Oldman has mentioned the Riddler specifically in a few interviews when being asked about The Joker being recast or not. In fact, he mentioned the Riddler a few weeks ago.

I could see the Riddler, Catwoman and perhaps even two-face as possible characters in another movie. As far as the question about The Joker, I think the plan was to leave him hanging (pun intended) the way they did before Heath's passing. The question now is how they bring him back, if they do at all.

Raisor
07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
The Joker, I think the plan was to leave him hanging (pun intended) the way they did before Heath's passing. The question now is how they bring him back, if they do at all.

Joker will be the very first person to ever not escape from Arkham Asylum.

Brutus
07-21-2008, 04:31 PM

For obvious reasons, I hope so. It wouldn't be the same after that performance.

MrCinatit
07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
there weren't any, as far as I saw

Actually...

When Lucious reveals the new bat suit, Wayne asks if it will be OK against dogs - Lucious said it would, but he was not sure about cats. Hmmm.
Meanwhile, the guy who was blackmailing Bruce was named Reese. Mr. Reese = Mysterious = Riddler?

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2008, 05:05 PM

You'd think the authorites would start cracking down.

The place must be run by ex-referees from professional wrestling.

GAC
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
While Ledger's performance may be extraordinary, if they decide to do a sequel and include the Joker character, I don't see why, if they do their research, they couldn't find another actor to do just as admirable job as Heath.

It's all about finding the right actor who can do that persona.

Did anyone have doubts when they first heard they cast Heath "Patriot, First Knight" Ledger as the Joker? I certainly did.

Yet he pulls it off fantastically. So another actor couldn't? He's the only one who could ever do the Joker?

Brutus
07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
While Ledger's performance may be extraordinary, if they decide to do a sequel and include the Joker character, I don't see why, if they do their research, they couldn't find another actor to do just as admirable job as Heath.

It's all about finding the right actor who can do that persona.

Did anyone have doubts when they first heard they cast Heath "Patriot, First Knight" Ledger as the Joker? I certainly did.

Yet he pulls it off fantastically. So another actor couldn't? He's the only one who could ever do the Joker?

But the difference is it's natural to compare a character to another within it's own franchise. Unless you count Jack Nicholson's performance in Tim Burton's Batman, there was not really as much to compare Ledger to. He pulled off what we expected to serve as Joker's character.

However, insert someone else to play the role that was already mastered so well by Ledger within the same franchise, and suddenly it's automatically much tougher. I think anyone, no matter how good an actor they are, would be destined to fail in that role after this performance. It's probably the reason you'd be hard-pressed to find many sequels that thrive if one of the lead characters have been replaced from one to another.

gm
07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
While I enjoyed the movie, the Joker's ability to set up these elaborate "situation ethics" scenarios (I mean, really--how many barrels of oil can one villian rig up and no one even notices?) kind of stretched credulity, for me. It would've been nice to see the Joker's background preparation, especially considering he certainly had no loyal gang of cohorts. Either he was the most masterful manipulator of fellow criminals (and compromised cops) the underworld has ever known...or...the plot has a few locked rooms that need to be opened

Perhaps these scenes hit the editing room floor? I'll have to get the director's cut, when it comes out

OldRightHander
07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
While I enjoyed the movie, the Joker's ability to set up these elaborate "situation ethics" scenarios (I mean, really--how many barrels of oil can one villian rig up and no one even notices?) kind of stretched credulity, for me.

Any film based on a comic book has to stretch credulity to a certain degree.

GAC
07-21-2008, 07:21 PM
But the difference is it's natural to compare a character to another within it's own franchise. Unless you count Jack Nicholson's performance in Tim Burton's Batman, there was not really as much to compare Ledger to. He pulled off what we expected to serve as Joker's character.

Absolutely true. But Burton was going for a completely different Joker persona in his version.

But Burton's was the first, IMHO, to really try to bring out the true "darkness" that surrounded the Wayne/Batman character that Kane originally intended. Prior to that, the last effort was the campy Batman TV series starring Adam West and Burt Ward.

However, insert someone else to play the role that was already mastered so well by Ledger within the same franchise, and suddenly it's automatically much tougher.

I'm sure Ledger's version will always stand out and be a "benchmark". But not an impossible benchmark. Any future performance by an actor doesn't have to replicate what Heath did; but put their own "signature" on the character. It can be successfully done IMO.

I can remember when Burton's Batman came out, many were saying "Keaton as Batman? The same "Beetle Juice" Keaton?" Yet I thought Keaton did one heck of a job at the Wayne/Batman character.

And then along came Bale's Batman. ;)

Ledger's unfortunate death should not spell the demise of the Joker character.

Tony Cloninger
07-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Too bad Carrey was wasted in the other movie...beacuse he can be dark and not just comedic.

That KIlmer movie.....i tried to watch it....then i see TLJ doing 2 face...and i said forget it. It looked bad.....it looked like a movie made in the 80's.

The Baumer
07-21-2008, 11:45 PM
It would've been nice to see the Joker's background preparation, especially considering he certainly had no loyal gang of cohorts. Either he was the most masterful manipulator of fellow criminals (and compromised cops) the underworld has ever known...or...the plot has a few locked rooms that need to be opened

Perhaps these scenes hit the editing room floor? I'll have to get the director's cut, when it comes out

The Joker had an upper hand over every criminal because he had no motive or plan. He wasn't bound by greed or money. He knew what made criminals tick therefore he knew how to manipulate them into helping him pull off his elaborate schemes. For a look into the preparation and execution of the Joker's schemes look no further than the very first scene in the movie.

marcshoe
07-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm avoiding most of the later posts, since I haven't seen the movie yet (I may tomorrow), but I would like to say that I find the habit of always killing the villain in Superhero movies to be irritating and short-sighted. It's tragically ironic that this is the movie that chose to break this trend.

OldRightHander
07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm avoiding most of the later posts, since I haven't seen the movie yet (I may tomorrow), but I would like to say that I find the habit of always killing the villain in Superhero movies to be irritating and short-sighted. It's tragically ironic that this is the movie that chose to break this trend.

That always ticked me off too. I grew up reading the comics where the same bad guys would keep popping up from time to time. None of the Superman films killed off Lex Luthor though, probably because he's so integral to the story.

RedsBaron
07-22-2008, 10:24 AM
There are now news reports that Christian Bale's mother (!) and sister have had Bale arrested in London upon charges of assault and battery. "Dark Knight" indeed (if he is actually guilty).

WVRed
On a side note.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080722/ap_en_ot/people_christian_bale

LONDON - Batman star Christian Bale was arrested Tuesday over allegations of assault, British media reported.

British media had reported that Bale's mother and sister complained they were assaulted by the 34-year-old actor at the Dorchester Hotel in London on Sunday night, a day before the European premiere of his latest film, "The Dark Knight."

The women made the allegation at a local police station in southern England on Monday, Britain's Press Association news agency said. It later said Bale had been arrested, citing "police sources."

Asked whether Bale was in custody, a police spokesman did not refer to him by name but said: "A 34-year-old man attended a central London police station this morning by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault."

The spokesman spoke anonymously in line with force policy and refused to go into more detail. British police do not name suspects before they are formally charged.

U.S.-based representatives for Bale didn't immediately return messages seeking comment. Repeated phone calls to Bale's London representative went unanswered.

The Sun newspaper said police didn't question the actor Monday because they didn't want to interfere with the premiere of the movie.

Wales-born Bale first made a splash as the child star of Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun" in 1987. His screen credits also include "American Psycho," "The Machinist" and "Batman Begins."

In "The Dark Knight," Bale reprises the role of wealthy playboy Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego Batman, a brooding vigilante superhero still scarred by the murder of his parents.

The film, which stars the late Heath Ledger as Batman's nemesis The Joker, took in a record $158.4 million at the box office in its opening weekend in the U.S. last week.

BUTLER REDSFAN
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Batman-star-Christian-Bale-arrested-over-assault/Article/200807415049544?lpos=Showbiz%2BNews_0&lid=ARTICLE_15049544_Batman%2Bstar%2BChristian%2BB ale%2Barrested%2Bover%2B%2527assault%2527

Degenerate39
07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
There are now news reports that Christian Bale's mother (!) and sister have had Bale arrested in London upon charges of assault and battery. "Dark Knight" indeed (if he is actually guilty).

At least he didnt break his one rule :D

RBA
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I see the Joker character as evolving. And I don't see any reason why another actor can't take from "JOKERS" of the past and continue that evolution.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Actually...

Meanwhile, the guy who was blackmailing Bruce was named Reese. Mr. Reese = Mysterious = Riddler?

His name is Edward Nashton, or better yet, Edward Nygma (which is what he changed it to)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riddler
Nolan series
Director Christopher Nolan took the helm as director of the new Batman franchise with the 2005 film Batman Begins. In The Gotham Times, a viral marketing website promoting the 2008 film The Dark Knight, Edward Nashton, an alias of The Riddler, is credited for an editorial in Volume 2 about a Batman statue being added to the Wax Museum. The editorial parallels a 1966 episode of the Batman TV series, in which the Riddler used a Batman statue to smuggle in a 'Universal Wax Solvent' from France. Although Anthony Michael Hall was rumored to be playing the Riddler, Hall is playing a reporter named Mike Engel. While doing press for The Dark Knight, Gary Oldman alluded that the Riddler could be the villain in the proposed third film. David Tennant has expressed an interest in the role. [5]

Caveat Emperor
07-22-2008, 02:55 PM
David Tennant has expressed an interest in the role.

Oh now THAT would be a fantastic cast of the role.

Tennant's work in Doctor Who has been nothing short of brilliant, and I could easily see that type of character translating over to a villain like The Riddler. I'd actually be excited to see what he could do with the part.

Highlifeman21
07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
So is Harvey Dent still alive?

There's been much debate in my househould.

I say he is, others say he isn't.

And while I'm asking questions, is Morgan Freeman done? Was that the last we'll see of Mr. Fox?

Raisor
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
ATTENTION!!!

The movie has been out for a week now, if you're trying to avoid spoilers I wouldn't be reading this thread at this point.

They never show a body, at the funeral.

No body no death.

I can certainly see Gordon and Batman getting Dent tucked away into Arkham (or more likely, someplace overseas) to preserve Dent's legacy.

By the way, just read online that in the upcoming Green Arrow movie (called Super Max..it involves Ollie going undercover into a Supervillian prison), there's going to be a Joker apperance (his name will appear on a door as an Easter Egg).

Degenerate39
07-24-2008, 10:41 AM

And while I'm asking questions, is Morgan Freeman done? Was that the last we'll see of Mr. Fox?

SPOILER (I'm sure there's someone who hasn't seen it yet)

Fox said he wouldn't be back as long as the machine was there and the machine was destroyed. So he'll be back IMO.

Highlifeman21
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
SPOILER (I'm sure there's someone who hasn't seen it yet)

Fox said he wouldn't be back as long as the machine was there and the machine was destroyed. So he'll be back IMO.

Gotcha.

I wasn't sure he was actually resigning by typing his name and pressing enter, or if that was what shutdown/destroyed the machine and Fox realized that once he hit enter. Good scene, IMO.

Caveat Emperor
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Soemthing else I want to give the movie Dap for: finally portraying Batman as a real crime fighter and detective.

That is one of my favorite aspects of the Batman character and it was finally on full display here -- with the radioactive tracing of marked money for helping the police investigation to ballistics testing on recovered shells from the crime scene.

I loved it.

The Baumer
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Harvey Dent died a hero.

Two Face is still very much alive.

WVRed
07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
For the record, if you want to post spoilers to the movie, the best way is to highlight the text and set the color to white. That way if people want to read on, you can highlight the text.

BTW, I do agree with Raisor. The movie has been out for a week now. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled, it might be best to stop reading this thread now.:)

sonny
07-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Just saw it. Wow.

What a performance by Aaron Eckhart. He was on parallel with Heath IMO. Undoubtedly the best superhero movie ever, and the best film I had seen in probably 5 years.

Just wow.

sonny
07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Harvey Dent died a hero.

Two Face is still very much alive.

The novelization says that Harvey breaks his neck and DIES.

Well, that pretty much ends that debate.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I saw it tonight finally. Liked it a lot. Eckhart and Ledger were both amazing in their roles. I really really hate the voice that Bale uses when he's in the Batman character though. And Maggie Gyllenhall is no Katie Holmes, but I enjoyed the movie anyway :)

Degenerate39
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I saw it tonight finally. Liked it a lot. Eckhart and Ledger were both amazing in their roles. I really really hate the voice that Bale uses when he's in the Batman character though. And Maggie Gyllenhall is no Katie Holmes, but I enjoyed the movie anyway :)

Oldman was great too. I think he was pretty damn close to the Gordon in the comic books.

The whole cast was overall amazing (except Maggie she just seemed ackward the whole time).

The Cowboy
07-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Batman has to use that voice or others his true identity will come out.. Hes the Prince of the city and has a very recognizable voice.. Everryone knows his voice and therefor would know his true identity..

The Baumer
07-25-2008, 01:34 AM

HARVEY dies.

And regardless of nitpicking identities, it's the novelization. They aren't going to spoil a possible surprise saved for the next movie. They are going to write in words what the visuals in the film lead us to suspect. That he is dead. But until I see a body in a casket and that casket lowered into the ground, Harvey Two Face is very much creeping about.

Raisor
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Actually it doesn't.

I'm sure that the original plan was for Dent to die. But the actual film is vague enough that they can bring him back.

Highlifeman21
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
So do they bring back the Penguin?

The Baumer
07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Depends what Danny DeVito is up to these days.

marcshoe
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Soemthing else I want to give the movie Dap for: finally portraying Batman as a real crime fighter and detective.

That is one of my favorite aspects of the Batman character and it was finally on full display here -- with the radioactive tracing of marked money for helping the police investigation to ballistics testing on recovered shells from the crime scene.

I loved it.

Yes, definitely. My first thought when the movie finished was that this was Batman the way he is supposed to be. In addition I thought the movie was basically film noir (with explosions), which is a good thing in my book. :thumbup:

I will say that Nolan has a more positive view of human nature than I do (re the Ferry scene).

MrCinatit
07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
So do they bring back the Penguin?

According to the IMDB trivia section for Dark Knight, Bob Hoskins had been strongly considered for the roll until Nolan deemed the character too unrealistic for the film he was making.

Caveat Emperor
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
According to the IMDB trivia section for Dark Knight, Bob Hoskins had been strongly considered for the roll until Nolan deemed the character too unrealistic for the film he was making.

Maybe too unrealistic in the way he was portrayed by Tim Burton, but really he's always been kind of the no-brainer baddie for a more realistic Batman.

He's one of the few super-villains in comics that has no superpowers, no really cheesy gimmicks, and isn't motivated by having a screw loose somewhere. He just has a funny look to him and prefers being a high-class criminal. His "costume" is formal dress (nice suit, bow tie, cane), and his mannerisms are just a little quirky.

You could EASILY do a Penguin in Nolan's Batman world, IMO.

Raisor
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Maybe too unrealistic in the way he was portrayed by Tim Burton, but really he's always been kind of the no-brainer baddie for a more realistic Batman.

He's one of the few super-villains in comics that has no superpowers, no really cheesy gimmicks, and isn't motivated by having a screw loose somewhere. He just has a funny look to him and prefers being a high-class criminal. His "costume" is formal dress (nice suit, bow tie, cane), and his mannerisms are just a little quirky.

You could EASILY do a Penguin in Nolan's Batman world, IMO.

They wouldn't even have to call him "Penguin", just Cobblepot, Gotham's new crime boss.

WVRed
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
For the record, Youtube videos are out for the Dark Knight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYNpE_xxzo

Best scene in the movie. For those who don't want to be spoiled, DO NOT WATCH.

toledodan
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
GREAT MOVIE! saw it on IMAX and my 11 year old daughter had no problems with the movie. really looking forward to a batman 3!

durl
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Saw it this weekend. VERY good movie. Without going all "Peanut Gallery," I saw a lot of coorelation between themes in the movie and current debates in real life. Interesting stuff.

redsfanmia
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Good movie but over hyped. Heath Ledger was good as the Joker but again his performance was way over hyped. I would have been better had it been about 20 minutes shorter IMO.

Raisor
07-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Good movie but over hyped. Heath Ledger was good as the Joker but again his performance was way over hyped. I would have been better had it been about 20 minutes shorter IMO.

Well, you pretty much agree with about 1% of the movie going public.

joshnky
07-31-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree as well. Good maybe great, but certainly not "greatest ever."

The Baumer
08-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Greatest ever tag requires time and history to enter the equation so we'll see how this movie holds up 15-20 years from now.

redsfanmia
08-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Well, you pretty much agree with about 1% of the movie going public.

I guess that makes me an independent thinker.

Tony Cloninger
08-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Who the heck said it was the greatest.....I compare it to what's been out in the last few years and the type of movie it is....and what you usually get from tehse movies...and it is the best I have seen in a good while.

But you know....just like anything that is this talked about...people are going to get a little tired of it and say what's the big deal.

marcshoe
08-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah. I've even run into a couple of people who are revelling in criticizing it. I thought it was fantastic. It held my attention for the full time period, explored deeper themes, didn't descend into campiness, and featured stellar writing, acting, and direction. Most of all, they got Batman right as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the best comic book movie I've seen.

Having said that, it was the second-best movie I saw last week. I finally got around to seeing No Country for Old Men on DVD, and I thought it was excellent.

durl
08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I haven't heard it labelled as "the greatest movie ever." However, I have heard it discussed as possibly "the best superhero movie ever." That's a label I would have a hard time faulting.

I was always a Marvel Comics kid and never read Batman, but the recent Marvel adaptations aren't nearly as good as "The Dark Knight" IMO. The writing alone was light years ahead of any recent Marvel adaptation, IMO.

NJReds
08-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Most of all, they got Batman right as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the best comic book movie I've seen.

I watched Batman Begins the other day, and it's a darn good portrayal as well. It doesn't have Heath Ledger, but it's a great origin story.

GAC
08-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Batman Begins was simply fantastic and IMO did the best job at trying to capture Kane's original character of Batman "The Dark Knight".

A friend told me they reported on ET that they are already planning the next Batman movie, and that they've signed Johnny Depp as the Riddler. They are still scouting for the Penguin character.

Anyone heard any more on this?

NJReds
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Batman Begins was simply fantastic and IMO did the best job at trying to capture Kane's original character of Batman "The Dark Knight".

A friend told me they reported on ET that they are already planning the next Batman movie, and that they've signed Johnny Depp as the Riddler. They are still scouting for the Penguin character.

Anyone heard any more on this?

Apparently all rumors.

link (http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2008/8/1/more-batman-rumors-depp-as-the-riddler-hoffman-as-the-pengui.html)

More Batman Rumors: Depp as The Riddler, Hoffman as The Penguin
I think we're going to see a few more of these rumors over the next few months, but could you imagine if all of them are real? First it was Angelina Jolie for Catwoman and now London's Daily Telegraph says Warner Bros. is eyeing Johnny Depp for The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Penguin as key villains in the next Batman movie.

Caveat Emperor
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I think we're going to see a few more of these rumors over the next few months, but could you imagine if all of them are real? First it was Angelina Jolie for Catwoman and now London's Daily Telegraph says Warner Bros. is eyeing Johnny Depp for The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Penguin as key villains in the next Batman movie.

The Phillip Seymour Hoffman rumor is pretty old -- he was rumored to be cast as the Penguin in a cameo role for this movie until the "second villain" part went to Aaron Eckhart for Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

The rumor had Hoffman playing the Penguin as a British arms dealer who sets up shop in Gotham. Eventually, Nolan torpedoed the idea, saying that he couldn't get the character right.

GIK
08-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Fantastic film. I won't go as far as to say best ever, but certainly the best Batman film and, IMO, the best comic book movie. I really enjoyed it and plan to see it again (when the crowds thin out just a bit!).

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Fantastic film. I won't go as far as to say best ever, but certainly the best Batman film and, IMO, the best comic book movie. I really enjoyed it and plan to see it again (when the crowds thin out just a bit!).

Agree. And awesome on IMAX. Wow!

Nearly sensory overload.

MWM
08-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Depp would be awesome as the Riddler.

GAC
08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Apparently all rumors.

link (http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2008/8/1/more-batman-rumors-depp-as-the-riddler-hoffman-as-the-pengui.html)

I agree with that article that a movie overpopulated villains is too cluttered and busy, and makes for a bad movie (i.e. Spiderman 3).

The suggestion of Paul Giamatti in the role of the Penguin was interesting.

There are plenty of amazing dark alleys for this series to go down and I see no reason why it should revisit places it's been before.

The Baumer
08-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I hope the over inflated success of Dark Knight doesn't go to the producers' heads and have an adverse effect on the amount of creative control Christopher Nolan has over the third film. I'm afraid they'll think with their ideas the film will do "even better!"

We've already seen that Nolan knows how to use multiple villains without resorting to a campy "alliance" plot device. Dark Knight had the mob, Joker and Two face, and they all had multi-level relationships to each other. For example the mob hated Joker but dealt with him because they were pressured and forced to. In the other Batman movies villains get together because that's what villains do. As long as Nolan has full creative control, and I'm assuming he won't return unless he does, the third movie should be handled very well. Spiderman 3 was bad because it's director fell in love with the fancy fun of the movies and things turned out cheesy and flat. Nolan is a much more serious filmmaker.

Caveat Emperor
08-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Nolan is a much more serious filmmaker.

Which is why I have virtually no worries about the next movie. Nolan is an excellent filmmaker who understands that characters and story drive a film more than logos, explosions and history.

He's nailed every major casting decision thus far and he's produced two incredibly well-written and well-directed films. While X-Men and Spiderman might be responsible for bringing comic book movies back to the forefront, Nolan will be remembered as the director who "took them legit" in terms of using a comic background to create a serious and well-regarded drama.

I have complete faith in Nolan to make an incredible 3rd Batman movie.

Betterread
08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Nolan is an excellent filmmaker who understands that characters and story drive a film more than logos, explosions and history.

I have complete faith in Nolan to make an incredible 3rd Batman movie.
I beg to differ. The main character in "The Following" prominently displayed the Batman logo. And Nolan has put together a family team of producer (his wife) and writer (his brother) that will reap the financial rewards of the infantile fascination that so many people have for cold war comic book "heroes". Nolan understands logos and franchises exceptionally well and he's exploiting your (and probably your children eventually) superficial nostalgia to perfection.

The Baumer
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I beg to differ. The main character in "The Following" prominently displayed the Batman logo. And Nolan has put together a family team of producer (his wife) and writer (his brother) that will reap the financial rewards of the infantile fascination that so many people have for cold war comic book "heroes". Nolan understands logos and franchises exceptionally well and he's exploiting your (and probably your children eventually) superficial nostalgia to perfection.

If I can add to this great post, not only is Nolan exploiting your children but he is also sleeping with your wife. Yes, it's true. When she tells you she is going to the basement to "check the water heater" she is actually going down there to sleep with Christopher Nolan. Also using his knowledge of logos and franchises he has managed to convince your children that he is their real dad and poses as the father of the house when you are away at work.

Sucker! :D

Tony Cloninger
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Jeepers ..... who do you think Nolan is...the preacher from "Children of the Corn"? Talk about McCarthy type paranoia.

SteelSD
08-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Jeepers ..... who do you think Nolan is...the preacher from "Children of the Corn"? Talk about McCarthy type paranoia.

I'm still trying to figure out how a character introduced in 1939 is deemed to be a "cold war comic book hero".

Super hero books did see an up-swing during the time frame of the Cold War, but the catalyst was a McCarthy-like lynching of a then-dominant EC Comics by other industry insiders who used the new "Comics Code Authority" label to lock EC out of its bread-and-butter horror titles. The entire industry basically wanted EC gone and they got their wish by internally cencoring them out of business. And it wasn't hard to do after paranoia mounted against the comic book industry from a couple of well-respected hacks, culminating in Dr. (and I use that term loosely) Frederic Wertham's publication of "Seduction of the Innocent". Washington, always looking for a scapegoat and particularly during that time period, held congressional hearings in 1954 that focused on comic book industry's crime and horror genre- where EC certainly was the gold standard.

That event was public enough to grab a front-page story in the New York Times and the path of the comic book content was changed forever.

While other heroes came before, remainded after, and were borne of the Cold War, the two primary events leading to the popularity of super hero books were the opportunistic strangling of EC and the post-WWII "baby boomer" birth rate spike which produced a ton of young people who were more than willing to grab cheap super hero reads off the local dime store rack.

And the irony in this thread is that the same silliness Betterread is espousing (the exploitation of the minds of America's youth) is one of the primary influences we saw a growth of super hero books in the first place after the huge hole in industry caused by the removal of EC. And it's aimed at a character who is nostalgic to folks who are 80 or 8 years old. That's what "timeless" gets you.

Seems that someone doesn't know their history.

wolfboy
08-03-2008, 01:49 AM

Bad day at work, or are you always this pleasant?

The Baumer
08-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Also, I've been trying to track down a copy of "The Following" and no one seems to carry it.

missionhockey21
08-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Yes, that's it. As opposed to working with his family because I don't know.... he's comfortable with them, trust them, enjoy their company, the three of them have set out to scheme the American public for monetary gain over a pre-WWII, Cold War comic book "hero."

And to truly exploit nostalgia, wouldn't it have made more sense to recreate the Burton films or even the campy West series of the 60's?

Also, in regards to exploitation, wouldn't a more mainstream and well-known character to the general public been better used in the first of his franchise as opposed to the Scarecrow?

BuckeyeRed27
08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Well it came in #1 for the 3rd straight week and will pass the $400M mark on Monday or Tuesday making it the fastest to that mark in less than half the time it took Shrek 2 (current record holder) to get there.

Caveat Emperor
08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Well it came in #1 for the 3rd straight week and will pass the $400M mark on Monday or Tuesday making it the fastest to that mark in less than half the time it took Shrek 2 (current record holder) to get there.

Most of the major competition for the summer is gone -- I wonder if it's got the repeat business in it to break Titanic's record at $600m.

Degenerate39
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Most of the major competition for the summer is gone -- I wonder if it's got the repeat business in it to break Titanic's record at $600m.

I really don't think it can beat Titantic. Any time now it'll start to die down. It could get $500 million domestically but probably not much more than that.

BuckeyeRed27
08-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I really don't think it can beat Titantic. Any time now it'll start to die down. It could get $500 million domestically but probably not much more than that.

The article I read also said that Batman would have to do a little more then $900M to equal the ticket sales Titanic did

Caveat Emperor
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
The article I read also said that Batman would have to do a little more then $900M to equal the ticket sales Titanic did

Looking back, its amazing what an army of bored, lovesick, teenage girls can do. ;)

letsgojunior
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Saw it tonight and I loved it. The best movie I've seen in recent memory.

My two favorite performances were Ledger (RIP) and Aaron Eckhart.

The action sequences were filmed brilliantly in Chicago. I especially loved the "hit me" scene.

NJReds
08-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Star Wars made $460M and was released in 1977. I wonder what that equates to in today's dollars.

marcshoe
08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Star Wars made $460M and was released in 1977. I wonder what that equates to in today's dollars.

According to this chart (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm), more than 1.26 billion, still less than Gone With The Overrated Wind.

Unassisted
08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Took my son to see this today. He liked it and I didn't. IMHO: Bale's "Batman voice" is silly, the "Batman should be apprehended" plot thread was pointless and the film is just too darn long.

The Baumer
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Also he never made reference to the shark repellent on his tool belt.

wolfboy
08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Took my son to see this today. He liked it and I didn't. IMHO: Bale's "Batman voice" is silly, the "Batman should be apprehended" plot thread was pointless and the film is just too darn long.

Wow, that was harsh. :eek: I can't say I agree, but I find it almost refreshing to see such a different take on the film.

GAC
08-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Just got back from seeing it with the boys. Very good movie. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought it kinda dragged in a couple parts; but overall very good. Ledger's performance is simply awesome.

I was a comic book fanatic as a kid growing up in the 60's, and during that time, thanks to the censorship board, the Joker, as with many comic book heroes. were "toned down" from their original concepts. During that time the Joker was more a harmless, cackling nuisance.

It's obvious that Ledger's Joker is mainly based on the Joker revived and revised in the early 70s as the insanely deranged homicidal maniac.

It's good to see some of my favorite super heroes finally getting serious attempts made to portray them in accordance to their creator's original intent.

I hated some of the TV shows of the 60s/70s because I think they mocked the heroes more then trying to be honest portayals. And I've never liked the Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Superman either. I was hoping Superman Returns would be a more serious effort; but again I was sorely disappointed. But then, I am no fan of Kevin Spacey either.

My favorite scene was towards the end when Joker was standing on the street outside the hospital. Some of the detonations didn't go off, so he is smacking it against his hand, and then seems startled from the explosion when they do go off. He then sulks off.

I wish there had been a bigger part (maybe in the next movie) for the Dent/Two Face character. I hated to see him killed off.

Jeremy Piergallini
08-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Batman's voice was a little too hoarse for me, but I thought the film wasn't long enough. I wanted more Eckhart and Ledger together. They both turned in fine performances.

The Batman should be apprehended had a point in that he's a vigilante, which is against the law, plus the Joker turned the tables and made the city want him turned in since he said people will die unless Batman shows who he really is.

This is my now favorite movie. Very well done, psychological thriller.

RIP Heath. It's a shame we'll never see another performance like that.

Dom Heffner
08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I'd rank it up there with the best I've ever seen.

The voice didn't annoy me because at least the director had a reason to disguise it.

All around a terrific film, made all the more so by Ledger. The scene in the hospital with Eckhart was scarily hilarious. In fact, the funny/evil thing had me laughing out loud whenever Ledger was onscreen.

Jeremy Piergallini
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
The scenes in the hospital.

The magic trick.

The handheld cam scenes when he's interrogating the wannabe Batman.

The interrogations scenes in the police station with Batman.

Tremendous acting all around in this movie with a well done script and fantastic directing.

Jack Burton
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Went to this last night, it's a decent flick, nothing spectacular. Pretty good performances with some nice action sequences. It's a good action flick, nothing more. On IMDB it's rated in the top 5 of all time, I think we can all agree that it shouldn't be.

durl
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM

I actually felt the same way about Batman being hunted. I couldn't figure out why they were doing that. Batman would take the blame for killing cops because he didn't want people to lose hope when the "strongest one" turned evil. But wouldn't they lose hope if they thought that Batman would kill the most prominent crime fighter in the DA's office? (Or were they going to say that Batman killed the cops but not Dent?) It seems as though they could have said Dent suffered brain damage from the attempt on his life, killed dirty cops, then did himself in.

Razor Shines
01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Am I the only one that is just finding out about this?

Chris Nolan has lifted the veil off his third Batman film. He has set Anne Hathaway to play Selina Kyle, who has a double identity as Catwoman. Nolan has also acknowledged that his Inception star Tom Hardy will play the villain role of Bane...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/anne-hathaway-wins-selina-kyle-role-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

Can't say I'm too thrilled about bringing back Catwoman and I think that Hathaway is decent as a Romantic Comedy actress but I don't know about her being in a serious movie....

Here is Tom Hardy as Charles Bronson from the movie Bronson. Looks like he could pull off Bane pretty well.

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tom_hardy-bronson.jpg

Tony Cloninger
01-23-2011, 09:45 AM
She was pretty good in Brokeback Mountain...as a serious actress.

Reds4Life
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
A lot of people were skeptical that Ledger could pull off the Joker when Nolan gave hiim that role, and he did.

At this point I would give him the benefit of the doubt on Hathaway. If he thinks she can play the part, she probably can.

nmculbreth
01-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Can't say I'm too thrilled about bringing back Catwoman and I think that Hathaway is decent as a Romantic Comedy actress but I don't know about her being in a serious movie....

Whether or not Hathaway will be a good fit for the role of catwoman remains to be seen but she was phenomenally good in Rachel Getting Married, which is about as serious of a role as one can get.

Reds4Life
01-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I bet she's going to look fantastic in that cat suit. :D

Puffy
01-23-2011, 04:17 PM
One thing to remember about Bane - he is not the same as in the Batman and Robin movie. Bane is highly intelligent and the venom makes him impossibly strong (not superman strong but Nolan's world strong). He can match wits with Batman and it will be interseting to see which direction Nolan takes him.

Has it been mentioned in here that Nolan has also taken over the Superman franchise? Not directing (Zack Synder is who he chose to direct) but he is producing and he and his brother and Goyer are penning it. Sadly, he has already ruled out any crossovers and I imagine its because he feels Superman is out of place in the Batman world he has created. Its a shame though because the Superman/Batman dynamic and friendship is truly a great thing.

Dom Heffner
01-23-2011, 10:19 PM
These are two incredibly boring villians for me. Ann Hathaway has the eerie ability to cloud men's minds. Don't get it at all.

Tony Cloninger
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Well besides the Joker...I think most of Batman's villans...the well known ones...all are easy to ridicule or look very campy. The Penguin was always hard to take seriously, the Riddler was almost another form of the Joker but less dark.

marcshoe
01-23-2011, 11:20 PM
I trust Nolan. Personally, I've always wanted to see Talia (and her father), but this is okay. Better than Killer Croc or Clayface.

Scrap Irony
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Love the idea of Clayface and think a movie built around him as a villain would be awesome. Croc could also be good, assuming Nolan downplays the tail and scales and plays up the Circus Freak angle.

TRF
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm hoping someone gives Christian Bale a throat lozenge.

I thought the Dark Knight hinted at the existence of Superman. Something about a boy scout?

LoganBuck
01-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm hoping someone gives Christian Bale a throat lozenge.

I thought the Dark Knight hinted at the existence of Superman. Something about a boy scout?

I think that was the previous generation of Batman movies. Probably the one with George Clooney, I believe the quote was "This is why Superman works alone."

TRF
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I think that was the previous generation of Batman movies. Probably the one with George Clooney, I believe the quote was "This is why Superman works alone."

I remember that one. tried to burn it from my memory though. Guess I'll have to watch the Dark Knight again.

savafan
01-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Not sure if this is official or not...

OldRightHander
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM

There was also a reference to Metropolis in one of them, but I can't remember which one.

Razor Shines
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
There was also a reference to Metropolis in one of them, but I can't remember which one.

In one of Nolan's Batmans?

GAC
01-31-2011, 05:05 AM
These are two incredibly boring villians for me. Ann Hathaway has the eerie ability to cloud men's minds. Don't get it at all.

I agree. Some of these villains (like Bane) are well after my comic book reading days. ;)

I remember Clayface, but I would have liked to have seen them do an extension of Two-Face, but they already killed him off.

You also have Solomon Grundy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Grundyfoe.png

I thought DeVito did an excellent Penguin.

redsfandan
01-31-2011, 05:48 AM
I agree. Some of these villains (like Bane) are well after my comic book reading days. ;)

I remember Clayface, but I would have liked to have seen them do an extension of Two-Face, but they already killed him off.

Did he actually get killed off? I remember one of the movies ending with him in a hospital room laughing his head off but I don't remember any mention of him after that.

Caveat Emperor
01-31-2011, 08:28 AM
I trust Nolan. Personally, I've always wanted to see Talia (and her father), but this is okay.

That would have been the direction I would have gone as well -- killing Ras off the way they did annoyed me greatly.

Raisor
01-31-2011, 09:39 PM

but I would have liked to have seen them do an extension of Two-Face, but they already killed him off.

Dent fell off the building, but we don't know for sure that he was killed. This is supposedly the last Nolan Batman film, so it's probably moot.

Bane, in the comics, is actually a very interesting character. Yeah he's a big strong guy, but he's also very smart, and for lack of a better word, "crafty".

Nolan has my trust.

GAC
02-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Didn't Bane break Batman's back? Boy, wouldn't that be an interesting way (cliffhanger) to end this movie. ;

Raisor
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Didn't Bane break Batman's back? Boy, wouldn't that be an interesting way (cliffhanger) to end this movie. ;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Bane_breaks_Batman.png

Caveat Emperor
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM

I hated the "Knightfall" storyline -- I think it'd be even worse if they tried to cram it into a 150 minute film.

Come to think of it, I think Bane might be my least favorite Bat-nemesis. Would have much rather seen a re-imagining of the Penguin instead.

BuckeyeRed27
02-02-2011, 02:33 PM
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni7380494/

Joseph Gordon-Levitt also added to the cast. His role hasn't been released, but the speculation is he will be The Riddler.

Razor Shines
02-02-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni7380494/

Joseph Gordon-Levitt also added to the cast. His role hasn't been released, but the speculation is he will be The Riddler.

Ok well get Leonardo DiCaprio and the Juno girl and they can go ahead and get the ending to Inception knocked out as well.

I think Gordon-Levitt is a terrific actor seems like a lot to deal with in one movie though. I trust Nolan as others above has said, but I hope he didn't bite off more than he can chew.

savafan
02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I've read what is being said to be a leaked copy of the script for this movie, and if what I read is the movie they end up making, then this will be very interesting, and the casting of the movie's main villain would not have even been announced yet.

savafan
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Also, there's speculation that Darren Aronofsky will pick up the franchise after Nolan's done.

02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Also, there's speculation that Darren Aronofsky will pick up the franchise after Nolan's done.

That I would love to see.

I liked Nolan's Batman, but didn't love it like many did. His dialogue is terrible, and I hated the Batman voice, among many other problems I had with his movies so far. He clearly is the best Batman director so far, but that's not saying much.

I think Aronofsky is the best young director out there. He does insane better than anyone, so I would love to see his take on the villains.

savafan
02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
I think Aronofsky is the best young director out there. He does insane better than anyone, so I would love to see his take on the villains.

Aronofsky has said he's already written a hard R rated Batman script that doesn't include any recognizable villains, simply crime fighting.

savafan
02-04-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48099

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/zap-ent-dark-knight-robin-williams,0,5295160.story

02-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Aronofsky has said he's already written a hard R rated Batman script that doesn't include any recognizable villains, simply crime fighting.

Very interesting. If he does do it, I guess they would have to call it "The Really Dark Knight."

Caveat Emperor
02-05-2011, 02:39 AM

Which would be awesome.

One of my main complaints about the Nolan-verse Batman is that we never really get to see the world's greatest detective on display -- by far my favorite aspect of the Batman character.

RFS62
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Very interesting. If he does do it, I guess they would have to call it "The Really Dark Knight."

:laugh: :laugh:

:beerme:

Raisor
02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Aronofsky is directing the new Hugh Jackman Wolverine film coming out next year.

Caveat Emperor
02-14-2011, 02:30 AM
At this point, they may as well just add Leonardo DiCaprio to the cast and end the trilogy with Bruce Wayne waking up from an attempt at memory extraction -- finding out that his parents are still alive and that Batman was all just a dream. :p:

Still -- the big rumor floating around is that this casting is for Talia Al Ghul, which I'm 110% OK with. I'd withdraw all of my minor complaints about Batman Begins if it turns out Ras is still alive and masterminding everything in this trilogy.

http://batman-news.com/2011/02/13/marion-cotillard-in-the-dark-knight-rises-after-all/

Back in January it was reported that Marion Cotillard was pregnant with her first child. After being on rumored short lists for The Dark Knight Rises, many believed her pregnancy would prevent her from joining the cast. Well now, according to French publication Le Figaro, Cotillard may be joining The Dark Knight Rises cast after all. The article is in French, but here’s a rough Google translation:

Marion Cotillard in “Batman 3″. The actress, who is expecting a child in the spring with Guillaume Canet, will be scarce this year. She’ll do a single film and her choice fell on Batman 3. This blockbuster produced by Warner Bros.. enables her to work with the director Christopher Nolan, with whom she had turned very successful sci-fi Inception. Marion Cotillard will join the filming this summer in Los Angeles. She will share the bill with Anne Hathaway.

Marion is expected to give birth this May, but she would have enough time to prepare for The Dark Knight Rises later this year– it’s shooting from May until November. With the heavy rumors that Talia will be in the movie, is Marion Cotillard the second female lead?

Read more: http://batman-news.com/2011/02/13/marion-cotillard-in-the-dark-knight-rises-after-all/#ixzz1Duqi1Q5W

marcshoe
02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Ah, that sounds very hopeful.

savafan
03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Aronofsky is directing the new Hugh Jackman Wolverine film coming out next year.

Not anymore. :(

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/darren-aronofsky-bows-as-wolverine-168827

savafan
03-25-2011, 06:58 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/juno-temple-confirmed-the-dark-knight-rises-catwomans-sidekick/

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/Juno-Temple_1-550x343.jpg

Briefly: Last Friday, when Joseph Gordon-Levitt was confirmed for Christopher Nolan‘s The Dark Knight Rises, there was also word that actress Juno Temple was being eyed for a role. Now she is confirmed for the film, and will reportedly play “a street-smart Gotham girl.”

Debates are ongoing as to whether she'll be playing Robin or Holly Robinson.

marcshoe
03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Nolan's complicating things so much he's confusing his own people. He clearly told them to get 'That Girl From Juno Who Was In My Last Movie' and they went and hired a girl named Juno instead!