PDA

View Full Version : Reds Sign Craig Wilson per Fay and Matt in ORG

Bip Roberts
02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
The Reds have signed outfielder Craig Wilson to a minor league deal with an invite to big leauge camp.

:eek:

Balance of power has shifted.

Degenerate39
02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I like this pickup by the Reds. I wonder if Freel is about to be moved now? I personally would rather have Wilson on the bench more than I would want Freel. Wilson has more power and would be good off the bench against lefties.

Bip Roberts
02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I think the likely hood of a Hatteberg or Votto move is much more possible.

Degenerate39
02-09-2008, 04:23 PM

That's true too which would mean Wilson could platoon at 1st base

smoke6
02-09-2008, 04:24 PM
The same Craig Wilson that looks like a Viking and used to play for the Pirates? Niiiice, he used to crank on us (but who didn't).

Bip Roberts
02-09-2008, 04:25 PM
The same Craig Wilson that looks like a Viking and used to play for the Pirates? Niiiice, he used to crank on us (but who didn't).

:laugh: yep its the same guy

smoke6
02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
:laugh: yep its the same guy

I like it:thumbup:

02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
He was really strong against lefties. If he gets his swing back, he would be a perfect platoon partner for Votto.
I don't think this is a sign that the Reds are about to trade Votto. He is too iffy to be counted on as a replacement.

Bip Roberts
02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I like it:thumbup:

I could end up liking it also but I dont know if I like the initial indications of the deal.

Bip Roberts
02-09-2008, 04:30 PM
He was really strong against lefties. If he gets his swing back, he would be a perfect platoon partner for Votto.
I don't think this is a sign that the Reds are about to trade Votto. He is too iffy to be counted on as a replacement.

I dont see Wilson being a replacement as a starter but I do see him being the RH side of a platoon. Now who is going to be the LH part of it is scary.

smoke6
02-09-2008, 04:31 PM

UNLEEEEESSSSS, Votto goes to LF and that means bye-bye AD (wishfull thinking on my part).

jmac
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Agreed.
Alineup vs a lefty which features EE-BP-Wilson seems alittle more formidable than with Kepp in there.
Even Wilson coming off bench late in game sounds good.

GoReds33
02-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know that I like the deal from the outset, but I defenitly like the indications of what may come from a trade standpoint.

Bip Roberts
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Its just a minor league deal but also could just be a minor league deal to save a spot on the 40 man

Krawhitham
02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
UNLEEEEESSSSS, Votto goes to LF and that means bye-bye AD (wishfull thinking on my part).

I like the way you think

namichael
02-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I find it convenient that this guy is added just around the time that Votto's name is mentioned in the Blanton rumors. If this is an indicator of things to come, I wonder if it will be Bailey or Cueto joining Votto in Oakland.

I hope it's neither.

Stephenk29
02-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe Hatteberg on the move?

UPRedsFan
02-09-2008, 06:07 PM
No way Wilson platoons at 1B. Keppinger has to get at bats.

Stephenk29
02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I can't see Keppinger platooning at 1rst. Anywhere else on the infield. Anything is possible I guess, but Wilson has already logged about 300 games at first.

mlbfan30
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Wilson also hasn't OPSed over .810 in the past 3 years. His numbers have declined sharply for the past 5 years,even his numbers vs. LHP. He's a horrible defender also. His SLG last year was .259

jmac
02-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I can't see Keppinger platooning at 1rst. Anywhere else on the infield. Anything is possible I guess, but Wilson has already logged about 300 games at first.

WK did mention earlier that Kepp would get the ab's at first after Cantu was traded.
Wilson adds more pop but he could do that coming off bench as well.
All this is contingent on his making ballclub of course.

captainmorgan07
02-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Decent pickup here for the reds. Wilson can also play alil outfield so he's extra insurance out there. He'd be a good bat to have at the end of games against a lefty. This definately improves the bench if he makes the team.

02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Wilson also hasn't OPSed over .810 in the past 3 years. His numbers have declined sharply for the past 5 years,even his numbers vs. LHP. He's a horrible defender also. His SLG last year was .259

He is a horrible defender, even worse than Cantu. And his numbers against lefties have declined over the past five years, but they did start at freakin' awesome.

OPS VS LHP

03 - 1.123
04 - .912
05 - .864
06 - .843

If he can provide a .843 OPS as RH side to a platoon, or even just off the bench, he's a great pick-up.

07 was a disaster, and he may be finished, but it can't hurt to have him in spring training trying to prove that 07 was an anomaly.

Stephenk29
02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
In regards to his defense, he has a career fielding percentage of .993 at first base. How's is that bad? He might not have a whole lot of range but neither do Hatteberg or Votto.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
How in the world could you justify the notion that this team could compete without Dunn in the line-up. If you just don't like the guy thats fine, but to think that Votto in left and Craig Wilson at first would be an improvement is just insane. :rolleyes:

BigRed
02-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Low risk, high reward. He probably won't make the team given his last couple of years decline. However, he could possibly provide some right handed punch off of the bench and some versatility. I think the guy can play OF, 1st and at least used to catch.

smoke6
02-09-2008, 11:03 PM
How in the world could you justify the notion that this team could compete without Dunn in the line-up. If you just don't like the guy thats fine, but to think that Votto in left and Craig Wilson at first would be an improvement is just insane. :rolleyes:

You're right, I dislike Adam Dunn very much. I like my baseball played properly. Strong defense, hitting behind runners to move them up, and sac flies.
BTW...I never mentioned Craig Wilson at first. You did. :thumbup:

BigRedMachine2
02-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I like this move. It gives us some RH pop off the bench.

mole44
02-10-2008, 02:52 PM

"Reds fans are pathologically inclined to focus on the flaws of their top players while deifying prospects who have accomplished nothing."

Degenerate39
02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
"Reds fans are pathologically inclined to focus on the flaws of their top players while deifying prospects who have accomplished nothing."

I believe I just found my new signature for this site. Excellent quote mole44.

SMcGavin
02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
If it's just a minor league deal, what's the harm? Maybe he can still hit lefties and help out at first, if not no harm done. I like it.

smoke6
02-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Who are you quoting? Disliking a players flaws (esp. when they are glaring) are part of being a fan. Do I boo him? No. Do I wish he was a better situational hitter and would cut down his K's? Yes

If you are TOTALLY happy with the way AD plays the game you're cheating yourself.

mlbfan30
02-11-2008, 01:54 AM
If it's just a minor league deal, what's the harm? Maybe he can still hit lefties and help out at first, if not no harm done. I like it.

The harm is adding more veterans to the team and kicking out the young guys. Trading Votto is a huge mistake. I really can see a Hatty/Wilson platoon w/Votto in OAK. Wilson wouldnt be added to the 40 man roster now because they'd have to designate someone. It doesn't mean they view him as a player with little chance

mole44
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I believe I just found my new signature for this site. Excellent quote mole44.
Eh, it is excellent, but I have to give credit to my boy Cyclone792 for it.

SMcGavin
02-11-2008, 01:34 PM
The harm is adding more veterans to the team and kicking out the young guys. Trading Votto is a huge mistake. I really can see a Hatty/Wilson platoon w/Votto in OAK. Wilson wouldnt be added to the 40 man roster now because they'd have to designate someone. It doesn't mean they view him as a player with little chance

Or maybe they are gonna trade Hatteberg in some small deal and have a Votto/Wilson platoon for a year to let Votto work in slowly, then give him the fulltime job in 09? It's possible that Votto gets traded but if it happens it's not gonna be because we signed Craig Wilson to a minor league deal. It'll be because we're getting a good pitcher in return.

Stephenk29
02-11-2008, 01:37 PM

I can't see the Wilson signing as a precursor to a Votto trade. Wilson is a big righty who can play 1st and the outfield. He seems like a good guy off the bench, not someone Krivsky is planning to platoon, unless it was a Votto/Wilson combo. Votto > Wilson

Degenerate39
02-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Eh, it is excellent, but I have to give credit to my boy Cyclone792 for it.

I thought I've seen it before at the ORG but wasn't sure. Either way it's a good quote that makes a lot of sense.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-14-2008, 12:35 AM
You're right, I dislike Adam Dunn very much. I like my baseball played properly. Strong defense, hitting behind runners to move them up, and sac flies.
BTW...I never mentioned Craig Wilson at first. You did. :thumbup: I really doubt that Hatte would start against too many lefthanded pitchers so yes Craig Wilson would be playing first. How many of "proper things" about the game has Votto proven to be able to do at the big league level. I would think that with as little playing time that Votto has had in left defensively it would be no better than a wash replacing him for Dunn.

smoke6
02-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I really doubt that Hatte would start against too many lefthanded pitchers so yes Craig Wilson would be playing first. How many of "proper things" about the game has Votto proven to be able to do at the big league level. I would think that with as little playing time that Votto has had in left defensively it would be no better than a wash replacing him for Dunn.
Maybe you're right, but I do think Votto would bring a little more hustle to our line-up. :D

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Maybe you're right, but I do think Votto would bring a little more hustle to our line-up. :D
Jerry, is that you?

smoke6
02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Jerry, is that you?

Lol, NO.