PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West--What am I missing?

Strikes Out Looking
02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Ok, I'm watching the Grammys and Kanye West just performed. Every time I see him, I wonder how he sells any records and what I am missing? For intance, at Live Earth, he performed with the Police and I thought he ruined Message in His Bottle with his insane chanting. (I admit I don't like rap, but I can see talent in other rappers--I think this guy just stinks)

Bip Roberts
02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I think most people like him because of the beat part of his songs.

redsmetz
02-11-2008, 06:57 AM
My son and daughter were giving me a little lesson in Kanye this summer. There seemed a certain "sameness" to just about everything they played. I thought he was a complete jerk in his acceptance speech - there's a place for chutzpah, but I thought he was fairly self absorbed and was pleased this morning to see that Herbie Hancock received Album of the Year, not Kanye. I liked Vince Gill's zinger to Kanye (and actually enjoyed Gill's unjaded thrill at Ringo giving him his award).

What a superb performance Hancock and the Chinese pianist gave of Rhapsody in Blue (did that clarinetist not look like the store owner in The Waltons?). That is one of the most beautiful pieces in American music - iconic, really - and it was nice to see an extended work like that in the Grammy's.

Back to West though, I don't get him either. I try to be open to rap as a musical form and, when it's not mysogonistic, there is some interesting elements to it.

durl
02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
I thought he was a complete jerk in his acceptance speech - there's a place for chutzpah, but I thought he was fairly self absorbed...

I've wondered if THAT'S why he's popular. When all your music sounds alike (as well as others) about the only thing to differentiate is your attitude.

Unassisted
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I've wondered if THAT'S why he's popular. When all your music sounds alike (as well as others) about the only thing to differentiate is your attitude.I'm told by the person in my family who knows about these things that most of Kanye's lyrics are positive, uplifting and spiritual. That's what differentiates his work from the gangsta-glorifying majority of the genre.

Too bad he comes across as a self-important jerk.

westofyou
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Kanye West--What am I missing?

The melody that us boomer's demand in our music?

redsmetz
02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm told by the person in my family who knows about these things that most of Kanye's lyrics are positive, uplifting and spiritual. That's what differentiates his work from the gangsta-glorifying majority of the genre.

Too bad he comes across as a self-important jerk.

That's what my son has said to me - he agrees he's a complete a**, but he likes his music.

Strikes Out Looking
02-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks, reading this thread makes me feel better about my feelings toward this guy.

MrsHammer
02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Kanye is always an *ss at award shows that I've seen.

How about that Tina Turner though?! She's gotta be pushing 70, yet she still rocks. I'm not sure her stylist made the correct wardrobe choice...but she held her own with Beyonce.

Caveat Emperor
02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I like Kanye a lot. Compared to most other hip hop acts, he really mixes a lot of different sounds to get his music. A lot of hip hop will keep going back to various musical crutches to produce their beats -- distorted horns, heavy bass, etc. Kanye usually brings something a little different each time (see: "Gold Digger" v. "Jesus Walks" v. "Stronger"). A lot of people are good at mixing club-beats (Timbaland being #1), but Kanye's one of the few truly creative people still working in the genre (the RZA being another).

Bottom line, though: if you don't "get" hip hop, for one reason or another, you aren't going to like him. If you are a fan of hip hop, he's one of the only things keeping the genre legitimate as a music as opposed to boring and mysoginistic commercialized crap.

redsmetz
02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Kanye is always an *ss at award shows that I've seen.

How about that Tina Turner though?! She's gotta be pushing 70, yet she still rocks. I'm not sure her stylist made the correct wardrobe choice...but she held her own with Beyonce.

I just checked and she will be 69 this year. I agree about the outfit - I think she's ready for something a bit more mature, that fits here 68 year old figure better, but you're right, she was holding her own. And that Beyonce, she's got some serious talent.

traderumor
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't get hip hop, period. It seems reasonable that singers and musicians should be talented beyond breathing into a mic and rhyming a few words. Also, watching 10 people mimic each other with the same dance moves on stage is also not impressive, esp. when you see so many male caucasians appear to be able to dance ;)

dougdirt
02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I like Kanye the artist. The persona, not so much. Musically, the guy is on a different level than most producers are. The tracks he lays down are just different in a very good way. It was like the first time I heard Green Day (when I was 10 and they were 'punk') or the first time I heard Mars Volta.... it just changed the way my ears heard and appreciated music.

harangatang
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I've wondered if THAT'S why he's popular. When all your music sounds alike (as well as others) about the only thing to differentiate is your attitude.Most rappers have an ego because at least from what I understand, rap is about being the best. When I look at all rappers I see a sense of confidence in themselves. Whenever I listen P Diddy I sense the most confidence in him of any rap/hip hop artist.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I thought of this thread as I just got through his album in the car today. I don't think he's an amazing lyricist or anything and yes he has a huge ego, but as someone else said, he's an awesome producer.

Flashing Lights is my favorite song on the radio right now, I just love the way it all goes together. http://youtube.com/watch?v=PK1WXlOtWoU

Tony Cloninger
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I liked this stuff better with NWA, Public Enemy and the Ghetto Boys.

He almost scares people into liking him....like he is going to come and beat your A if you don't appreciate his music.